G74 Oilers at Lightning

Teemu Hartikainen seems to wake up every spring and turn into just about exactly what the Oilers need: a big, strong Finn with enough skill to be dangerous. Is Teemu Hartikainen good enough to roll with the skilled men?

The first time Edmonton ever played Tampa Bay the Lightning plastered the Oilers 6-1. Craig Simpson scored the only Oilers goal and the club held a record of 1-6-1 under Ted Green (this was 92-93). When Simpson faded, Edmonton drafted Ryan Smyth and for many years #94 found gainful employement as a combination pest/goalmouth scorer (although he was more than that); now, as the Smyth’s days wind down, Hartikainen is the most likely candidate to replace him.

Does Hartikainen have what it takes to play that tough, physical style? Can he pass and take a pass? Can his shot beat an NHL goalie?

We’ve talked about this before (most recently in the top 20 prospect series) but Hartikainen is the one minor league prospect who appears to have a clear path to the basket. His skill set is somewhat unique for the group, he has shown flashes of that ability in the minors, and the young man has added a lesson or two during the long season.

• “Last weekend our head coach Todd Nelson benched me because of a bad game I played previously. I have to admit that it felt pretty effin’ bad to hear just before the match that I’ve been benched for one weaker game. But it is what it is. Of course I had a discussion with our coach where we went through the elements of our game plan and personal expectations that weren’t met. While I don’t agree with getting benched, I do think our coach has a point here. I got a relaxing day off after tough start. I’ve had a good few days to think and concentrate and I surely won’t let this happen again. This has improved me mentally in the long run.”

I love the guy. Hartikainen was taken in the sixth round of MBS’s first draft and has now played 20 NHL games (3-5-8). If he can score 15 goals a season and bring a physical element to a skill line while also being able to take and make a pass, Edmonton will have solved a significant problem from deep inside the draft.

Credit where due the organization, but if he makes it most of the applause should be given to the Jack of Hearts.

122 Responses to "G74 Oilers at Lightning"

1. DBO says:

Does seem like Harsky in the top 6 (ahead of MPS) and MPS on the 3rd line is where this is headed. I don’t expect any forward additions unless it is via trade where we send away a top 9 asset. So is he better suited to lineup with Gagner and hemsky or with Nuge and Eberle? Personally I like him with Nuge and Eberle way more then Ryan Jones, who is an opportunistic and solid 4th liner.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Harsky-Nuge-Eberle
    Smyth-Horc-MPS
    Eager-Belanger-Jones

Seems more balanced and has more size, and with the progression of the kids is solid. But is it good enough to make playoffs? Seems to be, as long as we upgrade everywhere else. With this management team, seems like a certainty. right? right?

2. "Steve Smith" says:

Also, Oilers.

3. ItsTheBGB says:

Hartikainen is going to have to work like hell in the off season to improve his feet if he wants to be a main stay with the big boys. I love when he goes hard to the net though, it’s refreshing.

4. pboy says:

“Steve Smith”: You know, I’m a pretty smart guy (just ask me!), but try as I might I could never figure out what the hell was going on in that song. The Jack’s obviously a bit of a metaphor, so you can’t expect him to make a lot of sense, but even the rest….Lily stabs Jim to death, but where does the Colt revolver come from? And whose luck ran out? Jim’s, by the look of it, but why is Lily taunting him about that when it’s Rosemary who kills him?Also, Oilers.

I can barely understand any of the words coming out of Dylan’s mouth, let alone try and decipher the meaning behind them.

5. Bos8 says:

Harsky is so close to the greatest Oiler need, so close. I keep thinking that he needs time because there are flashes. So close – Damn.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fear the stamkos!

so… what are the odds Harti makes it out of TC next year? Is it safe to say he’s hoping we take a D and don’t complicate the forward line up further?

Does it strike anyone else that our Swedes tend to be smallish and our Finns the opposite? Is that just happenstance or what?

7. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Omark is the only Swede either on the Oilers roster or in the system that is under 6’0 and 190lbs. Hartikainen is 6’1 and 215lbs, so is shorter than both MPS and Klefbom, although slightly heavier, and only an inch taller than Lander. Don’t want to be calling you out, but it’s not really true what you said. Although Harski does play a bigger game than any of those guys, perhaps with the exception of Klefbom.

8. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    You know, I’m a pretty smart guy (just ask me!), but try as I might I could never figure out what the hell was going on in that song.The Jack’s obviously a bit of a metaphor, so you can’t expect him to make a lot of sense, but even the rest….Lily stabs Jim to death, but where does the Colt revolver come from?And whose luck ran out?Jim’s, by the look of it, but why is Lily taunting him about that when it’s Rosemary who kills him?

Also, Oilers.

It helps to be really stoned – I mean with regards to the Oilers thing, I don’t know about the Dylan thing.

9. rich says:

Harski’s chances of making it on next year’s roster depend as much on who is coaching the team next season as they do with what moves v3.5/Vish make this summer.

There will be changes/trades if only because Omark won’t be back and we have too many young d-men in the system.

If Renney comes back, I can see Harski either on the 4th line or in OKC because the pressure on Renney to win out of the gate will be enormous regardless of the number of years on his contract. A 4th straight winter at the bottom of the league won’t be tolerated and so he will go more with the proven kids (Nuge, Hall, Ebs) and vets and so MPS and Harski will continue to be punished for a lack of experience (or for long sideburns).

A new coach might come in with a clean slate and a better sense for how to make those guys fit in. Not saying they are perfect, but I like DBO’s lines

Hall/Gagner/Hemsky
    Harski/Nuge/Eberle
    Smyth/Horc/MPS
    Eager/Belanger/Jones

With a coach who is better at matching and more real d-men, that’s a good start.

10. Clay says:

Bos8,

My thought too, but I think that he only falls short because we’re holding him up to guys like Lucic and Backes, which is what we want to see in the top 6.

As a 6th round pick, I think he’s a huge plus for the team, and if he ends up as a third line guy, awesome. It’s like money for nothing.

As far as hanging in the top 6, I don’t see his skating as any worse than Smyth’s, and he’s been a top 6 guy for a long time. I think it’s just a matter of him becoming more consistent, which is more of a mental thing, and judging by the anecdote above, he’s making strides in that area.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Yea… this was all “feeling” not “facts” and based on “style of play” not “actual size.”

I hadn’t considered Klefbom or other prospects (not seeing a cup this year)… but would you say it is fair to say that (regardless of actual size):

Harti, Petrell >play bigger> Omark, MPS, Lander

In the end it’s a useless distinction/observation that “happened to drift through my transom”

(no worries about call outs)

12. loosemoose says:

Stamkos is out of this world. The kid is pushing me to the top of my hockey pool.

Is it bad to want a 5-6 point night out of him? :)

The only bad thing is the guy behind me has Eberle :(

13. Ducey says:

Smyth should take Harsky into his office and introduce him to the goalies in the league.

Harsky could make a decent living as cycle/ forecheck player who sets up in front of the net. He has been compared to Holmstrom for years.

Unfortunately the Oilers don’t really have anyone else who can effectively cycle/ bang bodies/ forecheck.

#1 on the priority list for me.

14. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey:

#1 on the priority list for me.

“Steve Smith”:

Also, Oilers.

I always thought of Lily and Rosemary as two sides of the same person and the other characters masked as good versus evil until the end.

16. Ducey says:

Captain Obvious: If you exclude the redundant “bang bodies” since the only value of banging bodies in this context is that it makes you effective in forechecking and cycling the puck the Oilers already have this player. Let me introduce you to Linus Omark, the best forechecker and cycler of the puck on the team.

Thats a big “if”. The Oilers need more size. If you can’t figure that out then you don’t understand the game. And before everyone jumps on me with the refrain of “Coke Machine”, they need it in players who can play. James Neal or Jamie Benn or someone like Charlie Coyle would be nice.

I wouldn’t call Omark a good cycler at all. He is decent at shielding the puck and maintaining possession but I have not seen him working the boards with other players to maintain possession and wear down the defense.

Speaking of Omark, and this is a genuine question, not some troll remark: What makes people think that Omark is any better than MAP, Shremp or Nilsson?

17. jimbones100 says:

Those 3 and 4 Centers have not been good enough. I have been watching some other teams this week and we need a effective 2 Way Center that is tough to play against. I seen things from Dubinsky in NY and Kesler in Van that the Oilers don’t have.

LT do you think we can win with those 3 and 4 centers. Improve the wingers and yes we can make the playoffs but I don’t think we can be a contender with we have received from these positions this year.

DBO:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Harsky-Nuge-Eberle
    Smyth-Horc-MPS
    Eager-Belanger-Jones

18. regwald says:

Ducey,

Just for reference,

JB 6’2″ 203
    JN 6’2″ 210
    CC 6′ 2″ 207
    TH 6’1″ 215

All from hockeydb.com

So, Teemu is an inch shorter, but heavier than all of them.

19. CrazyCoach says:

Just a small thing I noticed about Harsky. Unlike a player like Ryan Jones, Harsky keeps his toecaps pointing up ice when he’s in the defensive zone and keep his head on a swivel rather than turning the skates towards his own goal. It doesn’t seem like much but some times it makes all the difference in transition. Very tough habit to teach players and a very hard habit to break if you do it incorrectly.

20. Kert says:

Ducey:

Speaking of Omark, and this is a genuine question, not some troll remark:What makes people think that Omark is any better than MAP, Shremp or Nilsson?

Youtube of course! Add in a little “underdog”, offensive creativity and people forgetting he’s already 25.. he’s an easy guy to cheer for. I think most Omark fans know they are cheering with their hearts not their heads.

21. cabbiesmacker says:

“Steve Smith”,

Probably a good thing you didn’t try “translating” off the up tempo Blood on the Tracks version then.

Oh and…I think you’re wrong. :)

Excellent choice LT. Blood on the Tracks and Desire, two albums later, are def on my top 10 ever list
    and will never get stale.

22. "Steve Smith" says:

cabbiesmacker,

Actually, the BotT version’s the one I usually hear. And we’re in agreement on that album: just fantastic. The popular opinion that Blonde on Blonde’s Dylan’s best album is a lot like the popular opinion that Tom Gilbert isn’t a good defensive defenseman.

(Traktor would probably prefer Under the Red Sky, that being the Kyle Wellwood of Dylan albums.)

23. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey: Thats a big “if”.The Oilers need more size.If you can’t figure that out then you don’t understand the game.And before everyone jumps on me with the refrain of“Coke Machine”, they need it in players who can play.James Neal or Jamie Benn or someone like Charlie Coyle would be nice.

This is a silly comment. Of course they could use someone like Neal or Benn but not because they are big and strong but because they are good. Benn especially is one of the best players in the league. Their size is part of their goodness but it provides no added value in and of itself.

I would submit that this view is absurd on its face. Given that a single player can only be in one place at a time, Benn or Neal can only have marginal value to the Oilers if there are playing time opportunities on the Oilers that don’t exist on other times. However, given the overall quality of these players the opportunities for these players has already been maximized. Thus even if your general premise is correct its application to the Oilers is a truism at best.

The only kind of players that have marginal value for the Oilers are players that wouldn’t be used to their full extent on other teams. In the case of big and tough players this is precisely the aforementioned coke machine. So despite your protestations to the contrary your suggestion is exactly what you said it wasn’t: you want the Oilers to trade skill for size.

All exchanges represent a disagreement of the value of the thing being exchanged. In this case it is the relative value of size and skill. Teams that interpret value in this way will always lose in the long run.

24. Adam Dyck says:

By no means am I cheering for my “heart and not my head” when I cheer for Omark. And it isn’t about youtube–in fact, the youtube stuff actually made me a little wary of him becoming Sugartits 2.0.

Omark has proven that he can be a huge scorer on the fourth, third and second best leagues on the planet. His NHLEs are strong, and he’s shown well in the show as well. Linus Omark is a player, full stop.

25. cabbiesmacker says:

“Steve Smith”:
    cabbiesmacker,

While DSF weighs in with Slow Train Coming because…..well you know.

26. cabbiesmacker says:

Adam Dyck:

Well then. I’m glad we put that matter to rest.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:
    cabbiesmacker,

whoa… is Traktor DSF?? Is Wellwood the Florida Panthers?

BTW I happen to be partial to Desire, Nashville Skyline and Highway 61 (Revisted)

28. spoiler says:

Dylan was pretty heavily into the Sephirot and the Tarot when it came to narratives. Can’t remember if he got this from John and George, or if it was the other way around.

I think LT’s interpretation is correct, that Lily and Rosemary were a conflation of one character, and I believe there are probably other dualities and conflations present too.

Or… I could just be on a fool’s journey here.

Was not expecting Bookie to go all Rainy Day Women on us though.

29. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: Was not expecting Bookie to go all Rainy Day Women on us though.

Well, everybody must, at one time or another.

30. Traktor says:

Only Steve Smith would compare any of Bob Dylan’s legendary work to Tom Gilbert.

31. DSF says:

Romulus Apotheosis: whoa… is Traktor DSF?? Is Wellwood the Florida Panthers?

I’m much better looking.

32. Ducey says:

Captain Obvious,

…Moreover, your comment about “understanding the game” is indicative of how the received wisdom of a tradition of thought becomes enshrined as dogmatic prejudice. The implication of your comment is that Benn or Neal would provide marginal value to the Oilers (i.e. value over and above the value they would provide to other teams) because the Oilers “have too many small forwards” or “aren’t big enough.”

You know Mr Obvious, what I like about you is you are just so reasonable in your discussions. I can imagine you locked in an asylum somewhere screaming at the world and what you see as its “obvious” stupidity. If only everyone would just listen to you, eh?

For all your meaningless jargon you don’t seem to understand what I am am saying. I am not saying that Jamie Benn will provide the Oilers more value than he provides another team, but that he will provide more value than a twerp like Omark. If you have a bunch of guys with size and ability, there is a combined value that improves a team and the performance of the individuals.

I know you won’t agree as your math models don’t allow you to understand things like intimidation and confidence. But they are real and have an impact on performance.

If the Oilers can add some skilled size throughout their lineup they have the ability to protect their small skill players, impose a good physical forecheck, win battles on the boards, change momentum, make defensemen move the puck quicker, etc. They have trouble with this stuff now. A coincidence?

Try watching the playoffs in a month. You might notice the physical play goes up just a tad. You think that is also coincidence?

Maybe we can play shinny sometime. After a while I will run you through the boards a few times and see if your performance is impacted a little bit. :)

33. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker: While DSF weighs in with Slow Train Coming because…..well you know.

I always play it backwards.

It’s a secret recording of Gaby Haas and the Barndance Gang.

34. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey,

My erudition is obviously wasted upon you. Perhaps one day you will learn that it is incapable to think without words and as a consequence those without a facility for words are inherently without a facility for thought.

As to your other points, such as they are, I will simply note that there isn’t a person on the planet who thinks that Omark provides more value than Jamie Benn. With whom do you think you are arguing?

As to this notion of “combined value” of size it’s magical thinking pure and simple. Which is not to say, for the millionth time, that size has no value but rather that it has no magical value over and above the self-evident advantage that it brings. I’m 6’1″ and 210 pounds. In my beer league I score a lot of power goals. My goals don’t count for more just because I got them because I’m big. When I go into the corner I usually come out of the corner with the puck, mostly because I’m bigger and stronger than other guys.

However, small and fast guys also go into the corner and come out with the puck because they are quicker. What matters is who comes out with the puck not how they came out with it. Moreover, even if it were true that NHL players are intimidated by size (it isn’t) that still doesn’t matter because to the extent that a player is intimidated it shows up in tangible things like goals. Thus intimidation doesn’t matter even if it is real.

Intimidation is a word used by the ignorant to describe events after the fact that they don’t understand.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DSF: I always play it backwards.

It’s a secret recording of Gaby Haas and the Barndance Gang.

Isn’t this more your speed:

36. spoiler says:

Apparently DSF is the long lost Schmenge Brother.

37. DSF says:

Captain Obvious:
    Ducey,

My erudition is obviously wasted upon you.Perhaps one day you will learn that it is incapable to think without words and as a consequence those without a facility for words are inherently without a facility for thought.

As to your other points, such as they are, I will simply note that there isn’t a person on the planet who thinks that Omark provides more value than Jamie Benn.With whom do you think you are arguing?

As to this notion of “combined value” of size it’s magical thinking pure and simple.Which is not to say, for the millionth time, that size has no value but rather that it has no magical value over and above the self-evident advantage that it brings.I’m 6’1″ and 210 pounds.In my beer league I score a lot of power goals.My goals don’t count for more just because I got them because I’m big.When I go into the corner I usually come out of the corner with the puck, mostly because I’m bigger and stronger than other guys.

However, small and fast guys also go into the corner and come out with the puck because they are quicker.What matters is who comes out with the puck not how they came out with it.Moreover, even if it were true that NHL players are intimidated by size (it isn’t) that still doesn’t matter because to the extent that a player is intimidated it shows up in tangible things like goals. Thus intimidation doesn’t matter even if it is real.

Your last sentence is horribly mangled…perhaps you weren’t thinking clearly.

38. Ducey says:

Charges against Bunz have been stayed.

39. nathan says:

DSF,

Your KWM/60 is down a bit. Nobody does clear quite like Wellwood.

“We definitely count this as a loss”

40. Traktor says:

Lowetide: Do you have a link for reasonable expectations 2011/2012?

Its not in the tagged section.

41. cabbiesmacker says:

Ducey:
    Captain Obvious,

Hahaha. Well done. I’d expand the list of possible twerps on the Oilers that Benn could replace to… well lets see here…..11 of 12? 10 of 12?

I am also going to begin a petition requesting the member change his name to Capt. Oblivious

42. Gerta Rauss says:

Lineup c/p from ON

apparently Khabibulin will start and it sounds like
    Omark will draw in due to an injured Petrell.
    **I edited the original copy/paste
    because the Oilers website has Sutton drawing in and Peckham sitting.

Jones – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
    Hartikainen – Gagner – Hemsky
    Smyth -Horcoff – Petrell/Omark
    Eager – Belanger – Hordichuk

Smid – Petry
    Whitney – Schultz
    Sutton – Potter

And the 2 russians will suit up for Sarnia for the OHL playoffs.

43. nathan says:

Danny,

Wierd. Try a non-existing page like: http://lowetide.ca/blog/404
    Then hit the tags tab and compare to the categories on the right hand side.

Reasonable expectations 10-11 is in both lists.
    Reasonable expectations 11-12 is only in the category list
    Reasonable expectations is only in the tab list (refers to 09-10)

44. cabbiesmacker says:

Captain Obvious:
    Ducey,

Perhaps one day you will learn that it is incapable to think without words

Heh?

Try ordering a beer sans same.

Dude? WTF?

Damn I hate it when the kids steal the Thesaurus

Thank you for clarifying why size and strength clearly do not represent an advantage. I think

Unless they’re playing beer league hockey against you apparently

What matters is who comes out with the puck not how they came out with it.

Ok I have to disagree strongly with this one. I am willing to wager that if the smaller player comes out with the puck wedged between his tonsils or asscheeks he will think twice about battling so hard for it when the next opportunity presents itself.

I am going to pound a 40 of Jack Daniels and stare at this sentence until it makes sense

Here here. The next time I’m watching Magnus Paajarvi Schmenge play a game I’m going to comment on how he looks “invigorated” instead. Unless I’m “intoxicated” or “inebriated” in which case it’ll just be one large vowel movement.

45. cabbiesmacker says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Lineup c/p from ON

apparently Khabibulin will start and it sounds like
    Omark will draw in due to an injured Petrell.

I injured my petrell once. Ached like a bastard for weeks.

46. copperblueandwhite says:

So, the playoff run is done if either LA or Pho get a single point….

47. commonfan14 says:

Captain Obvious: Perhaps one day you will learn that it is incapable to think without words and as a consequence those without a facility for words are inherently without a facility for thought.

Amazing how humans invented language without being able to think.

48. "Steve Smith" says:

Traktor:

…and only Traktor would consider that more egregious than my comparing it to Kyle Wellwood.

49. Ducey says:

My erudition is obviously wasted upon you

50. commonfan14 says:

Per Gregor tweet:

“Omark guaranteed he’s done with team in future..”I play better if I’m happy and I’ll be more happy at the World’s.” Re: going back to OKC.”

51. knighttown says:

Link?

ADTHE isn’t working tonight.

52. spoiler says:

Ducey: My erudition is obviously wasted upon youHad to look this up to see what this meant. Erudition means “profound scholarly knowledge”. Wow. Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out. And I note a few months ago you took the time to declare yourself better than 1/2 the GM’s in the NHL. Impressive.Why not put your name forward for Tom Renney’s job? It might be a step down for someone with such profound hockey knowledge but it sounds like you could really take the Oilers all the way.

I’m pretty sure he was referring to your “jargon” comment, which would mean that he didn’t know what the word meant either. Erudition does not mean erudite speech or writing, although the word is commonly misused that way.

Now if he had gone with grandiloquent or portentous…

53. bookje says:

commonfan14:
    Per Gregor tweet:

If he was not in their plans at all, they should have traded him or told him. I have generally been supportive of the Oilers management (one of the few), but the management of Omark has been very very poor .

54. Ducey says:

Adam Dyck:

Well except has he done that much better than the guys I mentioned? If we look at AHL numbers:

Omark
    31 pts in 28 games at age 24
    16 pts in 18 games (25) (this year)

Schremp
    53 in 69 (age 20)
    76 in 78 (21)

Pouliot
    31 in 33 (21)
    47 in 55 (22)
    72 in 69 (25)

Nilsson
    28 in 29 (20)
    46 in 50 (21)

All have had cups of coffee in the NHL and have had bursts where they have been close to .5 ppg. All (except maybe MAP) are pretty one dimensional with little defense or physical play attributed to their games.

So why is Omark the second coming that needs top 6 minutes while LT gets howls of derision when he suggests MAP is a player?

I don’t get it. Why is Omark going to succeed when these other guys didn’t?

55. stevezie says:

Ducey,

I’m glad you asked. Omark shows more jam, tenacity, and willingness to grind than either Shremp or Nilsson. I do not consider him a soft, perimeter player; I think he forechecks well and tries his bag off. I think this separates him from the pack and allows him to have saome value in the “bottom six”. (I don’t think MAP is a great comparable, just too different.) I think his second to worst case scenario would be useful fourthliner/shootout.PP specialist. Jussi Jokinen stuck around for a few years on those skills before it clicked for him.

That said, you’re absolutely right. A quick look at Alex Giroux, Jason Krog or Jeff Tambellini shows that sometimes it just doesn’t translate. I honestly do not fully understand why some guys can’t dominate the farm but don’t lost much moving up either, and other guys go from best player in one league to worthless in another. Someone should write a book.

56. jake70 says:

Lovin the 830 gametime here..sweet.

The Tampa feed TV guy said in their opening “these 2 teams love to push the pace”……did Tampa change their style from that pathetic trap display back in the fall we saw against Philly?

57. bookje says:

At 23 Schremp is scoring at a much lower rate in the SEL than Omark did.

A few NHL games on a good line would have been helpful in the assessment process.

58. stevezie says:

knighttown:
    Link?

ADTHE isn’t working tonight.

Have you tried throwing ADTHE into google? Sometimes they change their suffix. I just checked .eu and it appears to be up and running.

59. knighttown says:

Yeah Stevezie, I can find the site but the first few links had no picture. Found one that works fine. Thanks

Pretty good period for the Oilers, Hemsky is killig it right now. Beautiful player to watch.

61. stevezie says:

knighttown,

Once again the feed I have is giving me the camera shot and audio feed of the broadcast crew when they’re not on camera. Appart from once hearing Louie and Principe complain about the ice, I’ve been shocked and dismayed at how few Bob Ueker moments we’ve gotten. None, to be exact.

If you don’t know what I mean by that, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiooeRAdcjU

62. jake70 says:

Hemsky is definitely shooting more, which can only make him and his linemates more dangerous. He is in a zone right now.

63. stevezie says:

Actually… that clip doesn’t even mention Ueker’s famous penchant for using the cough button to curse like a sailor, but it’s still a great clip.

64. stevezie says:

Something I’ve noticed watching other team’s feeds, foreign broadcast crews are always (EVERY GAME) expressing shock at how good Hemsky is, shock at how much a guy who has so few goals gets paid, or shock a guy so good doesn’t have more goals. For better or worse, he baffles them. This guy is really, really under the radar. I doubt it helps us much because I assume pro scouts are better informed than colour guys, but it’s a shame for sportscenter because Hemsky puts on as good a show as absolutely anyone, and for that alone I’m so glad we signed him.

65. Lucinius says:

Smyth needs to take less Moreau penalties.

Agree with the comments regarding Hemsky. He’s looking like the Hemsky of old.

66. Professor Q says:

Love how the refs miss that Stamkos highstick, but make sure to catch that Smyth hook.

Oilers imo are playing a solid solid game. Should at least be up by one. Luck she’s a bitch.

Omark. He can’t play.

69. stevezie says:

Omark scores! Argument settled!

70. LMHF#1 says:

A new coach that realizes that #23 is better than 4-6 guys who dress each night can’t arrive fast enough. Excellent game so far, excellent goal.

71. jake70 says:

Sweet tip.

72. Alice says:

Sideburns.

That is all.

73. Lucinius says:

Hemsky with the bad giveaway there, sadly. Old Hemsky even in the bad ways, at times, it seems.

Still, loving his game. Like how he and Harti work together. Still don’t like Gagner on that line — I think he really needs a player like Eberle to succeed (I’d swap Nuge and Gagner).

74. jake70 says:

Some pretty bad giveaways tonight. The oilers have that cutesly behing the back pass thing going again.

75. LMHF#1 says:

Lucinius:
    Hemsky with the bad giveaway there, sadly.

I don’t understand why people don’t get the difference between that giveaway and one, say, up the middle of the ice in the neutral zone where you’re not even trying to create a scoring chance.

These things aren’t equal. That was the right play and it didn’t work out. That’s it.

76. Lucinius says:

LMHF#1,

From what I recall (since I can’t exactly see it again) I felt it was bad because he could see there was no one right there for that to go to.

Also it was a very Hemsky-ish giveaway. Its the type of giveaway he used to make 2-4 times a game.

77. LMHF#1 says:

Lucinius:
    LMHF#1,

And my point about Hemsky and this criticism is that his ‘giveaways’ are usually trying to make the right play and indeed putting the puck in a place where the percentages aren’t bad even if you turn it over. See the winning goal against DET in ’06 for example. There were people yelling about that play as he was banging the puck into the net claiming the guy was “lucky”. Come on people!

Not meaning to be harsh or anything, I’ve just seen this argument way too many times now.

I read that play as 83 throwing into a zone and thinking the Oiler player would skate into it. As it turned out the Oiler player didn’t do that and it was an easy turnover. Very creative play by Hemsky imo.

79. jake70 says:

Roloson guessed pass all the way there, Hemsky should have lasered it short side.

80. Lucinius says:

LMHF#1,

Oh, I don’t really disagree. A lot of times when Hemsky turns it over or fouls a play its more because someone else wasn’t where he expected them to end up.

His struggles on the powerplay are almost based on that, imo, as he would often draw 2-3 PKers then pass the puck and his team-mate didn’t do anything or refused to skate into the open area.

Its just that you see Hemsky -> turnover like happened there often enough you instinctively start to grumble. You blame Hemsky if only to attach a name because -someone- messed up, and I blame Hemsky for it because he should know by now the Oilers don’t go where he expects.

81. stevezie says:

The goalies are playing like it’s 2007 or somethin

82. Rebilled says:

He’s dropped his stick and not picked it up(twice)
    He batted the puck down the ice.
    We are one helmet shake-off from a Roli hat-trick.

83. Traktor says:

Hopefully Tampa wins in regulation. Edmonton is only 3 points below Montreal and somehow Minnesota is only 4 points ahead of Edmonton. I don’t think they have won more than 2 games since the deadline. I’m praying that Toronto doesn’t land in the lottery because you just know Daly would pull Toronto’s logo.

Hemsky is absolutely stellar tonight. Just wonderful

85. Lucinius says:

Now that was classic Hemsky. Pretty as can be but it somehow doesn’t end up in the back of the net.

86. Lucinius says:

Okay, now we are seeing just why Hemsky doesn’t get above a point per game. He’s magical but somehow he really can’t seem to get it to the back of the net.

I mean, wow. This third period he’s been the best player on the ice by a massive margin.

87. stevezie says:

I still don’t think Hemsky’s 100 percent back; he’s killing defenders but not goalies. Oh well, these are plays that over time work well for everyone.

88. LMHF#1 says:

Omark fanned…damn. Really nice move.

89. Lucinius says:

Roloson is having one of those games. I may have to amend my earlier statement that Hemsky was the best player on the ice.

Roloson is the only reason this game isn’t looking ugly for the Bolts.

90. delooper says:

Smiddy!

91. pboy says:

Smid.

That is all.

92. striatic says:

Smid scores, whatta’ sniper.

93. Lucinius says:

Hemsky is playing so well the TB announcers just assumed Nuge was Hemsky. Hilarious. Wouldn’t of thought SMID would be the one to finally crack Roloson in the third, haha. Love it when Smid scores.

Is four goals a career year for him?

94. stevezie says:

Did Omark really try what we all think he tried? Man I wish it worked. I’m wish he had hands to match his balls.

Looks to my ignorant eye like Potter has had one of his best games since the injury.

This might be my favourite game of the year.

95. knighttown says:

96. Lucinius says:

To answer my own question… yes, 4 goals is a career year for Smid!

Also, Hemsky with 5 shots? He really is shooting as much as it feels. Nice to see that.

Gotta agree this game has been very enjoyable. If we lose, this is how you want to lose; having had a good time.

97. stevezie says:

Omark in overtime? Renney’s impressed. Just in time!

98. striatic says:

knighttown: Picked up 3 seats on the glass for $40 each.

closest NHL rink to me is Rogers Arena.

seats on the glass there are not 40 dollars.

even for Oilers games.

99. striatic says:

loved that play by Smid to take away the lane. he’s having a terrific game.

100. Rebilled says:

Spinnerama works every time vs. Tampa.

101. Lucinius says:

Big question; does Renney go to Omark in the shootout!?

knighttown: Hanging out in Melbourne Beach, Florida.Had a peek at the sked this week and noticed the Oilers are in Miami Friday night. Picked up 3 seats on the glass for $40 each. Taking my 5-year old hockey nut son and the old man down for a boys trip. Should be good one.

Ha!

I’m in a hotel on South Beach right now.

My sister and I are taking our families and my Mom on a cruise for her 75th birthday.

We *almost* got tickets for tomorrow nights game as our ship doesn’t leave until Saturday, but decided against it.

Damn, now I want to go, but we’re all booked up with touristy stuff.

Have a good time at the the game.

Haven’t seen a second of this game, but it sounds like Ales Hemsky is a bad, bad man.

103. bookje says:

Omark does remind me of Nilsson, but with better forechecking, backchecking, and effort. Other than that, they are pretty much the same.

104. Lucinius says:

Woodguy,

Hemsky has pretty much had the best game possible without registering a point.

He even had some pretty impressive back checking moments on a couple possible 2 on 1s.

105. bookje says:

Glad to see RNH with the assist.

106. knighttown says:

Woodguy,

Shit WG…if you change your mind I’ll buy you a beer at the intermission.

Thinking weather of 25 degrees would make my family and friends in Halifax jealous except that for some fucking reason its 28 degrees in Halifax today. We don’t get that in August.

107. Lucinius says:

Wow. Hemsky not in the shootout with the game he’s had?

There he was.

Khabbi is so bad in shootouts..

108. stevezie says:

Disappointed but not mad. Don’t know how you cats feel, but I loved that game. Maybe my mood was just right. There’s the Hemsky we pay for, there’s the Omark we’ve been talking about.

109. bookje says:

I blame Omark, what an idiot! Why wasn’t Jones in the shootout?

110. DSF says:

Woodguy: Ha!

I’m in a hotel on South Beach right now.

Damn, now I want to go, but we’re all booked up with touristy stuff.

Have a good time at the the game.

He’s no Dustin Brown but he is playing better.

111. speeds says:

Woodguy: Ha!

I’m in a hotel on South Beach right now.

Damn, now I want to go, but we’re all booked up with touristy stuff.

Have a good time at the the game.

If you guys are into tennis, the ATP and WTA are in Miami right now. It’s a Masters 1000 event, so all the top players are there. Might be a chance to see the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc!

112. voxwah says:

Smyth over! Nuge and Horcoff in the shootout is just dumb. Renney you suck. Must be playing for the draft pick but that not a good plan when your job is on thin ice.

113. cabbiesmacker says:

I hate to kick a dog while it’s dieing but LOL @ Calgary doing their best cheap hooker imitation and taking another one on the chin.

114. DSF says:

The Leafs are now officially in the draft lottery.

115. blackdog says:

Was at the game tonight, a lot of fun, great atmosphere, better than the ACC for example, and tons of Oiler fans.

Oilers deserved to win but Roli and the breaks denied them.

Best game I have seen live in years.

BD: Yeah, it looked fun. Mid 90s fun, when all those kids would go apedoodle a few times every year. Hemsky is sublime when he’s like this, just pure brilliance.

117. blackdog says:

LT – Hemsky was the best Oiler but overall a very good game for the majority of the club. Roloson was excellent, he even gave the old baseball clear at one point ;) and he was the difference.

Last day down here tomorrow and then two days on I 75 but I’ll try and post something on the game early next week. Haven’t been to a game here in over a decade, it really was a lot of fun and highly recommend it to any folks down here for vacation. Didn’t hurt that it was the Oilers as there were tons of Canadians in the rink but I was really impressed by the Tampa crowd. Good experience.

118. Schitzo says:

Record low comments for a game day post? Must be for this season, at least.

P.S.: my bad if the previous record was 120 posts and I just ruined everything.

No, we’ve had lower.

120. Bos8 says:

Hemsky the sublime. I’m enjoying him enjoying hockey.