G78 Kings at Oilers

The Oilers and Kings have shared some pretty famous players over the years–in fact, if you list the top players in Oiler history there are two or three at the very top that wore a Kings uniform during their careers.

Ryan Smyth–despite advanced age and a slap shot that can’t dent cardboard–remains a productive offensive player 18 years after the was drafted. Smyth’s age and the long season of work have exposed him a little but there’s little doubt he can play in this team’s top 6F even when everyone is healthy.

Top 6F’s 5×5/60 from behind the net

1. Eberle 3.23 (2nd in NHL)
  2. Hall 2.07 (tied for 75th in NHL)
  3. Gagner 2.07 (tied for 75th in NHL)
  4. Nuge 2.05 (80th in NHL)
  5. Smyth 2.01 (86th in NHL)
  6. Hemksy 1.59 (tied for 174th in NHL)

Those top 5 numbers are pretty good, considering there should be 90 top line players in the NHL and the Oilers have 5 of them in that group (>40 games). Anyway, Smyth is right there despite middling zone starts and a tougher zone start. With Taylor Hall’s injury and the recovery timeline, Smyth should once again be an important part of the Oilers in 12-13.

We had word awhile ago that the Oilers and Smyth were working on a deal but nothing lately. It could be nothing–hell, the Oilers haven’t officially signed their GM to an extension yet–but with Hall’s injury it would seem to me that getting Smyth done moves up a notch on the priority list. 94 was passed over once before (summer 2006) as the club signed their 7′s and 9′s and let the jack back in the deck.

I would think it good form to get this done and give the man who has bled copper and blue all along a contract. God knows they need Ryan Smyth.

I remain convinced there’s not enough room to sign all these kids who could turn pro. For some of them, their seasons have or are about to end, with Drew Czerwonka and Jeremie Blain already free and Brandon Davidson (although hurt currently) one game from being eliminated. They do have the option of sending the NCAA players (Bigos, Jones) back for another season, but the club has decisions to make on the following players:

1. G Tyler Bunz (already signed to his entry level deal)
  2. D Kyle Bigos (has one year of NCAA eligibility left, I suspect Oilers will leave him there)
  3. D Jeremie Blain (could play as a 20-year old in the Q, Oilers took that option with Davidson a year ago)
  4. D Brandon Davidson (Oilers have to fish or cut bait, I don’t think it is a slam dunk they sign him)
  5. L Drew Czerwonka (could go back, but based on his size and position I think he signs)
  6. F Kristians Pelss (he’s had a strong season and should go deep with Oil Kings. There’s a chance he returns for his 20-year old junior season, Oil Kings will be a powerhouse next year).
  7. F Kellen Jones (two more years of NCAA eligibility, expect he’ll stay at Quinnipiac)
  8. D Oscar Klefbom (could stay in Sweden for another year, but might ne ready)
  9. D David Musil (I expect he’ll stay for his final year of junior)
  10. D Martin Gernat (has had a splendid season, I think the Oilers will want to sign him to an entry level deal and then send him back to junior for a final season. That contract could be more difficult to get done a year from now).

The Oilers current 50 man list for 2012-13 is 41 deep with 10 rfa’s (likely gone are Barker, Kytnar, Omark) and they’ll be adding at least one UFA in Smyth and I think Petrell has a chance. Oilers will be looking to add some help on defense and at forward, and it’s hard to see all of these kids getting entry level contracts the same summer.

Oilers could ease the situation by trading this year’s depth picks for futures or using them on Euro’s and NCAA kids, while also sending back any or all of Bigos, Blain, Pelss and Jones.

Oilers recalled Paajarvi this morning. Come on, kid.

163 Responses to "G78 Kings at Oilers"

1. DBO says:

Paajarvi recalled.

2. regwald says:

I think Tambo’s brain is going to explode in the off season. All these draft picks bubbling under will force the management team to take off their shoes and socks and figure out how many graduating kids they can keep.

A wealth of riches is a good thing… but giving them away for nothing isn’t. It will be interesting to see how they manage the 50 contracts.

3. rich says:

What makes the contract situation more tricky is the upcoming CBA negotiations. While GM’s will be told the cap will go up now – ownership is going to try and reduce that number in the new deal.

It’s obvious that Omark won’t be back – but it’s poor asset management to not get something in return as he does have value. Of all the UFA’s/RFA’s I think getting equal value for him will be the most difficult thing for v3.5.

Regarding Davidson, I’d hate to see him lost for absolutely nothing because he’s big and may have better mobility than Plante. But there are a lot of d-men currently under contract and they all can’t stay. Barker is obviously going to be gone, but Peckham, Chorney, Plante are going to be interesting calls. Possible that some of the bubbling prospects could be part of a larger deal?

And that leads to the question of whether management sees an opportunity to make a move that will help them take a giant step next season – or do they think it’s too early and continue to develop for another season before making a “move to put them over the top”.

4. pboy says:

Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Paul Coffey and Grant Fuhr all played for the L.A. Kings for some period of time. Rangers become Oilers East and the Kings were Oilers West. The Oiler’s were just plain terrible.

5. Ducey says:

Well they will get something. They will qualify him and then trade him.
    What’s equal value? A third round pick?

LT, you could add to your list the first pick (Ryan Murray perhaps) and the rumoured FA defenseman out of college.

The easiest way to solve the problem is to rely less on vets in OKC. If the choice is between someone like Ryan Keller, Josh Green or Taylor Chorney and a guy like Davidson, you have to get rid of the vet and hope guys like Pitlick step up next year.

6. leadfarmer says:

Seems like a good time for one of those 3 mediocre asset for one good asset deals the other teams pull off on us.

7. Ribs says:

A funny moment watching the last game with the wife. Smyth winds up for one of his patented chest-bumper slappers and I chuckle “One of these days, one will go in. One of these days.” Smyth is a favourite of hers and she sparks “Oh yeah? What has Hemsky done?” just as Hemmer pots one into the net. I said nothing, just smiled at her.

After she lost it for bit, claiming that it was “an easy one”, I tried to offer her some rationalization that Smyth’s slapper distracted the tender as it caught him in an unpadded area up high. Of course I kept the grin on my face the entire time.

8. Moosemess says:

Ribs, if I was your wife (or even a woman for that matter ; ) I would have been tempted to mention this memorable Smyth slapper. See vid at the 1:27 mark

Thankfully on that day at least, it did go in.

9. Ribs says:

Haha, yea. He’s squeaked a few in before with it. It can’t be a very good percentage of them, though.

It’s good that he gets the puck to the net. It doesn’t matter how it gets there. It’s just kind of humorous with the big wind-up every time. Classic Smytty.

10. art vandelay says:

I don’t know what a “zone start” or “5×5/60″ means.
    But I know what “finished in the lottery for the third straight year with no reasonable expectation of a different result next season” means.
    Why are Oilers fans so complacent about losing? Is it like a drug? Stockholm syndrome? Apathy? Resignation?

11. Clay says:

pboy:

How do you forget to add McSorley and Krushelnyski to that list of Oiler Kings?

Marty McSorley. Greatest. Oiler. Ever.

12. bookje says:

art vandelay:
    I don’t know whata “zone start” or “5×5/60″ means.

It’s probably too complex for you to comprehend Art.

13. Scott Reynolds says:

For sake of clarity, Czerwonka, Pelss, and Blain all need to be signed by June or they will re-enter the draft this year. If they are signed and sent back to junior, their contracts will still count against the 50-man limit on account of their age.

Scott: Would that also apply to Pelss? Or does the Sept birthday protect him for another year?

15. rickithebear says:

i am just glad we have improved the last 1/3 of the season.

From the statrt of February (25 to 28 games) I looked at all the -80pt teams
    WPG: 10W-5OW-11L-1OL 31/54PT .574
    Canes: 12W-1OW-6L-6OL 28/50PT . .560
    NYI: 7W-7OW-11L-3OL 31/56 PT .554
    ANA: 9W-3OW-10L-4OL 28/52PT .538
    EDM: 9W-4OW-11L-4OL 30/56PT .536
    Tampa: 9W-4OW-12L-3OL 29/56Pt .517
    CBJ: 10W-2OW-14L-1OL 29/54 pt .517
    MTL: 6W-5OW-12L-4OL 26/54 pt .482
    MIN: 4W- 4OW-16L-3OL 19/54 .352
    TOR: 6W-2OW-17L-3OL 19/56 .339

We will get a top 3 pick but Dubnyk and healthy D for me next year please.
    After boxing day:
    Dubnyk 15W-9L-2 OL
    KHB: 2W-12L-4OL

Art: just saw your post; we play dubnyk for the standerd 85-90% of high use starting goalies from boxing day and we are likely at 85 pts.

Do not even want to discuss playing barker over other Dmen or other unique losing game strategies.

16. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey:

Well they will get something.They will qualify him and then trade him.
    What’s equal value?A third round pick?

The scale of value for a draft pick is so steep that it is almost impossible to trade an NHL quality player for a draft pick and get full value.

A second round pick for Omark would be a terrible trade value wise while at the same time is more than they could hope for. Such is the logic of the NHL trading marketplace.

The only way to get value for Omark is as part of a trade for some other undervalued NHL player, or as part of a larger deal.

17. LMHF#1 says:

Can’t wait until we have a coach that doesn’t think they key to a solid effort is having Jones and Hordichuk in the lineup.

18. stevezie says:

Moosemess,

That Buchburger goal completed the biggest miracle I had ever witnessed in my life to that point. Maybe since. When I use the term “Act of God”, believe me it is not hyperbole. Spinals walking again are less miraculous.

That Joseph save was just absolute money. I mean even now it seems impossible. What a sock to the jaw for Dallas. Loved that guy.

20. stevezie says:

Captain Obvious:
    A second round pick for Omark would be a terrible trade value wise while at the same time is more than they could hope for.Such is the logic of the NHL trading marketplace.

Totally agree. I could defend management by admitting that while I like Omark he is not what this team lacks, and it’s not Tambi’s fault Omark broke his leg at the worst possible time., but that said, what little chance they had to pump his tires as trade bait was not seized.

21. stevezie says:

Yep, that was as good a save as the league has ever seen, but I beilieved it. I’m still coming to grips with them coming back in game… 4? They were down by a lot with about five minutes left and a young, naive Stevezie committed the great sin of falling to his knees and asking God to take a side. Several years later I grew up and decided not to make fun of Tim Tebow.

22. M Parkatti says:

Moosemess,

I think that one slapper has percolated in Smytty’s mind ever since that day, which is why he still tries to slap it coming in off the wing so often.

What a freaking series that was. Seriously, on a list of awesome first round series that in the end didn’t end up meaning much, just the internal drama of a single series, that has to be in the top 10. Every game had something memorable. I still consider that CuJo save to be the best I’ve ever seen, considering the circumstances. Today’s butterfly goalies would have been shaking their heads on the way to the dressing room.

23. hags9k says:

I took popcorn stipple off the ceiling when Buchberger’s wrister found a way… What a comeback, what a save, what a series. I miss Oiler hockey!

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

LMHF#1:

One of these things is not like the other.

Last game Jones played 5:13 on the PK, which is quite a bit more than Hordichuk’s ATOI in all situations this season. By one significant metric, Jones is the most successful PKer on the team.

I realize it’s fashionable to dump over vets and depth players, but some of them have their uses. Hordichuk? Not so much.

25. SteadyEd says:

Check out some of the ‘heavies’ that dressed vs. the Flames- and they’re all forwards. Eager is our only comparable and I don’t think he’s dressing tonight. Yes, Nolan is Ted’s kid.

74 DWIGHT KING 6′ 3″ 234 JUL 5, 1989 22 MEADOWLAKE, SK, CAN
    11 ANZE KOPITAR “A” 6′ 3″ 225 AUG 24, 1987 24 JESENICE, SVN
    71 JORDAN NOLAN 6′ 3″ 227 JUN 23, 1989 22 ST. CATHERINES, ON, CAN
    25 DUSTIN PENNER 6′ 4″ 242 SEP 28, 1982 29 WINKLER, MB, CAN
    19 KEVIN WESTGARTH 6′ 4″234 FEB 7, 1984 28 AMHERSTBURG, ON, CAN

It’ll be interesting to see how our skill guys match-up tonight. They better bring their A-game or they’ll get squashed.

26. Scott Reynolds says:

Sorry LT. I realized that I had forgotten Pelss and added him in via your great edit feature! But yeah, same rules apply to him too, I think.

27. cabbiesmacker says:

art vandelay:
    I don’t know whata “zone start” or “5×5/60″ means.

But I know what “finished out of the lottery for the third straight year with no reasonable expectation of a different result next season” means.

Got to thinking about YOUR team there Artieboy and edited your comment a tad for ya.

Kinda sad you’re in a far worse situation huh? I mean those aging stars and the plethora of NT / NM clauses gotta be a killer.

Scott: No worries, thanks for clarifying, though. There are so many little nuances to the rules. Baseball rules are much clearer.

29. Jordan says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Good point Bruce. There are a lot of players on this team who have under acheived this year, but Jones is not one of them.

Was playing around with the numbers @ BTN and found out that Jones’ 5×4 Pts/60 number this year is nearly as high as RNH – over 6pts/60 mins (followed closely by Ryan Whitney and Taylor Hall – all four of which are top 30 in the NHL for 5v4 pts/60)

Now, he’s only played half as much as the 5×4 TOI leader (Horcoff) but that’s still about 2/3rds as much time as RNH.

I didn’t like his game last year, and still think he’s probably a 3rd liner skill wise, but… there’s more to hockey than skill, and Jones is getting it done. I wish that there were more Oilers who were.
    That has a lot of value, and for someone who’s making as little as RJ is… to be putting up 17/15/32 is a nice piece for any team to have – almost the value you’d expect out of an ELC, except Jones can do more than play the softs..

30. LMHF#1 says:

Bruce McCurdy: One of these things is not like the other.

Play him if you must, but do it on the 4th line and make sure he knows he has to hit and fight. A coasting forward who’s bad positionally and only PKs is not worth dressing over more talented players.

31. cabbiesmacker says:

LMHF#1:

Hordichuk wouldn’t have let many of the liberties on the kids go unanswered while Eager looks to sleep through most of it. I know he wasn’t signed to be and never has been a true enforcer but wtf dude? Act like you want to be here at least. You’re not here to put the puck in the net.

32. stevezie says:

LMHF#1,
    let’s be fair, be might cheat for offence but 35 goals over two seasons isn’t bad. It’s not great, but it’s not bad.

33. LMHF#1 says:

cabbiesmacker: Even though I’m a little biased in wanting Eager to be a contributor I’m not sure I wouldn’t prefer Hordichuk in and him out if the choice had to be made. At least Hordichuk understands his role on the team while Eager has just been going through the motions. To me he’s playing totally uninspired since his benching a few games back.

34. LMHF#1 says:

stevezie:
    LMHF#1,

35. Bos8 says:

LMHF#1: I don’t dispute that, but it doesn’t make the case for the role he’s had lately. This coach can barely picture a lineup without the guy.

Something about Blair MacDonald and Gretzky.

Now Jones is a trade begging to happen. The stars have aligned. Run him with the boys to the end of the season, throw in a Plante and improve the positon. A nice professional hockey player would be a blessing.

36. Gret99zky says:

Smytty,’s stick nowadays is equal to a pro tennis player showing up with an old school wooden racket.

All the new tech available and #94 chooses the rotary phone. Way to improve your game Ryan.

37. Dipstick says:

Smitty is old school. He could teach some of the younger players a thing or two. I hope he does!

38. rickithebear says:

We have 3 players in the top 90 in Ev goal production.

Eberle #8 1.38G/60
    RNH #24 1.14
    Ben Eager #74 .96G/60
    Just play this as a line. Eagers Skating and zone drive compliments RNH & Eberle.

Omark not qualified but 1.10 G/60

Hall #107 .87
    Smyth #117 .84
    Jones #149 .76
    all in the top 180.

39. Ribs says:

Umm….no. :)

Is Belanger hurt or is he being sat to let VV get at bats?

Khabby starts. Doug Wilson got a little more pale when he read that.

Certainly a lot of decisions to be made in terms of clearing out contracts to sign kids, or not sign kids.

Another interesting summer after a not so interesting winter.

41. russ99 says:

I absolutely love Omark’s “?????????????…” tweet.

Good lord, this kid has some balls. Can’t tell if bullheaded Renney or whiny Omark is the bigger idiot, maybe both.

Whoever the Oilers stupidly dump him to this summer may end up as my second favorite team… Certain hated teams excepted.

His nickname should have been Cool Hand Linus. Dammit, never thought of it until now when he’s done here.

43. gogliano says:

Khabby starts? Kind of a strange choice — back to back upcoming on Sunday/Monday so you have to imagine they split that too.

As someone on board for tanking these last few games, though, two Khabi starts and 3 games in 4 nights (with the BtoB coming on the road) should spell “top 3 pick.”

Apparentlly, and I’m never confident about stuff that happens around April 1st, Paajarvi wasn’t eligible for recall. So he can’t play with the Oilers and will be sent back to the minors without playing. Now, when I don’t know the rules, that’s one thing.

THE OILERS not knowing the rules? Quite another.

45. "Steve Smith" says:

WE WILL HAVE TO LET GREGOR ADJUDICATE ON THIS.

46. stevezie says:

russ99,

Yup

Gret99zky:

All the new tech available and #94 chooses the rotary phone.Way to improve your game Ryan.

Smitty’s game needs a stick that won’t break. Seems to me he’s tailoring his stick to his strengths- tip ins and battles for the puck. I don’t think a different flex is sudden;y going to give him a gangerous slapper.

47. TheOtherJohn says:

Oilers send MPS back down to OKC, did not have ability to recall him

Seriously we have to quit playing checkers while rest of the league, or at least 20 of the teams in league, are playing chess

Or might have all been part of the “Plan”

48. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie,

Giving Ryan Smyth a different stick in the hopes that it will help his slapshot is like giving a salamander a scientific calculator in the hopes that it will help his trigonometry.

49. nathan says:

Like Omark said: ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Waiting for DSF to drop by and tell us Tallon would never mess up paperwork.

THE OILERS not knowing the rules? Quite another.

This is hilarious.

Rick Olyczyk is supposed to be the Cap/CBA guru on the Oilers.

If he is, he also fucked up the Brule waiver eligibilty a couple years ago.

Full confidence in the Oiler management staff to oversee building a winner.

Haha!

I wonder what guys like Eberle and RNH think.

My guess is that if they are familiar with Yakety Sax, that’s the sound track.

Perhaps “Bring in the Clowns”

Remember though, this finishing 30th, 30th, 29th and not knowing the CBA is all by design.

They have a plan.

Lordy.

51. rich says:

Well w/MPS being sent back down at least we don’t have to see Renney put him on the 4th line becuase of his sideburns.

This is pretty inexcusable of mgmnt to not be aware of the rules on call-ups. Plain stupid.

52. DSF says:

nathan:
    Like Omark said: ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Waiting for DSF to drop by and tell us Tallon would never mess up paperwork.

Tallon messed up AFTER he won a cup. Not after two consecutive 30th place finishes.

It’s also debatable that he was responsible but you can argue the buck should have stopped on his desk…which it did.

How ’bout those Panthers, eh?

53. DSF says:

Woodguy: This is hilarious.

Rick Olyczyk is supposed to be the Cap/CBA guru on the Oilers.

If he is, he also fucked up the Brule waiver eligibilty a couple years ago.

Full confidence in the Oiler management staff to oversee building a winner.

Haha!

I wonder what guys like Eberle and RNH think.

My guess is that if they are familiar with Yakety Sax, that’s the sound track.

Perhaps “Bring in the Clowns”

They have a plan.

Lordy.

Welcome back Woodguy!

Hemsky (8) vs. Brown (13) head to head.

Bet you’re hoping the Kings don’t make the playoffs :)

54. nathan says:

Woodguy, Don’t even bother figuring out if a troll is trying to change the rules of a bet.

55. nathan says:

DSF,

MPS playing 5 games is OKC. Turning RFA’s into UFA’s. Much the same.

They claim they ran the recall past the league a few days ago. But the final ruling is the clear day phantom recall counts.

56. DSF says:

nathan:
    DSF,

MPS playing 5 games is OKC. Turning RFA’s into UFA’s. Much the same.

I’m thinking they were trying to bump up Paajarvi’s Air Miles in case he bolts for the SEL.

And why wouldn’t he after spending all day on a plane from OKC and back.

Good grief.

57. nathan says:

MPS isn’t a free agent. And if Omark goes on a tear with the games MPS was supposed to get…..

Here’s the transaction that got flagged. No actual NHL games involved. But the decision when they filed officially was that it does count. Not quite Tallon territory:

Feb. 27: Magnus Paajarvi loaned, recalled by Edmonton.
    Feb. 29: Magnus Paajarvi returned on loan by Edmonton

58. DSF says:

nathan:

Here’s the transaction that got flagged. No actual NHL games involved. But the decision when they filedofficially was that it does count. Not quite Tallon territory:

Feb. 27: Magnus Paajarvi loaned, recalled by Edmonton.
    Feb. 29: Magnus Paajarvi returned on loan by Edmonton

Guess you better define “tear”.

Omark has 3 points in 14GP. .21PPG.

That he is also -5 while racking up that point total would seem to indicate he has a lot of “tearing” to do in the Oilers remaining games.

DSF: Welcome back Woodguy!

Hemsky (8) vs. Brown (13) head to head.

Bet you’re hoping the Kings don’t make the playoffs

Thank you.

Playoff points don’t count.

The ability to continue to grind after winning the bet in the playoffs that year is included.

Re-read the threads.

nathan:

DSF does troll, but he also has some very good points.

If his signal to noise ratio was better, he’d be a great poster.

I don’t think he can help himself though.

61. cabbiesmacker says:

LMHF#1: I don’t happen to think we need to play either, and disagree that Hordichuk has or would have done anything to specifically deter other teams. Neither 16 nor 55 is out there gooning the Sedins, or other such players, which is the only way.

Wasn’t talking deterring. We all know that isn’t a factor in NHL games. I was totally talking stirring things up, taking liberties with the opponents better players, and even taking the odd penalty because of the psycho factor. It works for other teams and the fact that the Oilers choose not to employ that style is just one more head shaker when we have probably the most pussified top 6 – 9 in the league.

I’m blaming Renney for having the reins on full stop because Eager was a lot more aggressive on his two previous stops. He isn’t even throwing his body around these days.

Hordichuk is a predictably programmable dog. If you aim him in the right direction he’ll do his job. Eager isn’t motivated to do so.

So who was the 4th recall that made Paajarvi ineligible?

Omark, Hartikainen, Vandevelde, ???

Petrell in for Omark.

I haven’t stopped laughing.

64. bookje says:

WG – no, the plan has been to win the cup every year like Calgary. Leave the trolling to DSF. He is better at it.

65. Dipstick says:

I guess we won’t be dissing the Saskatchewan Roughrider coaching staff for not being able to count past 12 anymore.

66. rich says:

It’s even funnier when you realize that MPS couldn’t be recalled because management can’t count.

Nothing against Petrell, but does it really matter who plays since Khabibulin is in net tonight?

67. DSF says:

rich:

Are there any draft eligible dead guys?

This could be the year.

bookje:
    WG –no, the plan has been to win the cup every year like Calgary.Leave the trolling to DSF.He is better at it.

So not knowing the CBA is part of the plan?

This isn’t trolling, they did this, in real life.

PRV is on his way back to OKC.

I’m not kidding, they actually did this.

69. thatguy says:

Call up 91. Not eligible to play. Rebuild starts 2012-13. Playoffs 2018. ??????? Should play tonight.

70. stevezie says:

Omark has not been producing in limited minutes. Has he been good enough to warrant more minutes? I would like them to just be given to him, because he’s a player that makes me curious, but can we really say he’s getting screwed?

I just watched Goon, and I recommend you do the same. There’s one seen where, and this isn’t spoiling anything, but Doug (Stifler) tries to stand up and fight on a broken ankle. Ethan Moreau gets a lot of flak on here, maybe people more connected to the team than I am can vouch for the dressing room stuff being deserved, I don’t know. But dislocating your shoulder, taking a second to realise that it’s dislocated, and then still wading into a fight? That’s hard as fuck. Harder, maybe.

“i’ll bleed for my team.”

71. stevezie says:

cabbiesmacker:

This is where I understand Renney the least. He insists, wrongly imo, on having a designated goon in the lineup, but refuses to play him. Then Eager, who is good enough to at least be better than a goon, isn’t playing the role that got him here. I don’t like Eager and I think designated fighers are a roster mistake, but if you’re going to have them, why don’t you use them for what they are? I really don’t get it.

72. rich says:

Five-Hole! A Khabi special.

73. Lucinius says:

Well, that didn’t take long. I blinked in the first minute of the game.. all it takes.

74. rich says:

Ebs with a beauty.

75. JamesL says:

Dr. Tobias Rieder with a monster game tonight: 2G-2A with 2 minutes left in the game. Rieder had points on all four Kitchener goals, and now is 2nd in OHL playoff scoring, going 7-6-13 in 5GP.

I think we may have something here.

76. Lucinius says:

Good going Petrell. Hurt Eberle.

When will the curse on the Oilers be lifted?

Okay, so he’s not “hurt”, but still.

Nice to see the Oilers remaining as the embodiment of chaos theory in the defensive zone.

77. fuzzy muppet says:

If the Oilers have ANY intention of winning next year, then a certain Goaler will not be in town.

Just a terrible, terrible player.

RNH with his 50th point as a rookie. It hasnt happened much in the Oilers short history. Kid’s a beauty.

79. voxwah says:

That already passes Gagners season high.

80. Lucinius says:

RNH would be even better if he wasn’t on the Oilers, as he’d likely have not gotten hurt.

I’m only sorta joking.

The kids are quite good, and RNH should be the best of the bunch — though Eberle may give him a run at times.

81. fuzzy muppet says:

I’m Glad Hordichuk is dressed so Dustin Brown will be too scared to run Oilers.

oh wait….

82. OilClog says:

If the kings played against stellar keeping like khabby more often.. Quick’s hart consideration would be undeniable. Instead of this maybe crap going on, what if Quick was a Oiler.. Wait can’t think like that, we’ve been duped into being happy with losing.

RNH is going to be a very good player for a very long time if his health holds.

Both he and 14 took hard shots to low blocker on Quick, must have been a scouting report.

I bet when told to go low blocker and shown film on Quick those two imagine a 4″x4″ area where others imagine a 12″x12″ area.

Talented players.

Khabby showing MVP form.

I’ve heard the name Voynov more than any other so far. Would have been good to get him for Penner, damn the 1st rounder.

84. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”:
    stevezie,

Naturally. As everyone knows, amphibians are more or less rhetorically oriented creatures.

JamesL:

I think we may have something here.

That’s good news.

2 whole shots?

Awesome.

87. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909,

Sober tonight, I gather? Sometimes you surprise.

(I meant the wit, not the sobriety. But probably that too.)

88. DSF says:

Dustin Brown is a beauty.

89. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    RNH is going to be a very good player for a very long time if his health holds.

Talented players.

Khabby showing MVP form.

I’ve heard the name Voynov more than any other so far.Would have been good to get him for Penner, damn the 1st rounder.

Of course Hopkins, despite picking up a point is -2.

A long road ahead.

90. OilClog says:

DSF:
    Dustin Brown is a beauty.

91. DSF says:

OilClog: I prefer to look at hockey players as men. Hemsky is a brilliant mind.. Brown is a caveman. One gets hurt, one acts hurt half the time. Brown wouldn’t last in edmonton for more then two seasons, he’d be expected to bring it every night. He brings it 21 games a season.

LOL.

92. hunter1909 says:

Stripping “the captain” of his goat-like tenure will convince people that management is serious about the on ice product.

And no “A” wasted either. Stick him on the 3rd/4th lines where he belongs and forget him.

it’s a disgrace; basically saying the current losing culture is acceptable.

Brown’s a good hockey player.

There’s no question about that.

94. stevezie says:

I never thought I’d say this, but I liked Hordichuk on the top line there.

95. "Steve Smith" says:

OilClog,

The current Edmonton Oilers organization being, of course, notorious for its demanding accountability from players and its meritocratic approach to roster management.

96. OilClog says:

Let’s just be clear about what I’ve said.. it’s half truths, half sarcasm. The last 6 years has ruined all hockey sense I have. It’s all just one big joke.

Also.. Hordichuk is horrible.. why didn’t he fight Drew??? Seriously.. wtf.. what is his job if he doesn’t pounce like he should of.. there wouldn’t of been a goal if he did.. Again this is all jokes.

Hemsky is still better though.. imo.

97. Lucinius says:

Wait, Smid got hurt?

And it wasn’t self inflicted?

*Sniff* He’s all grown up and normalish.

Of course, sucks for the Oilers… best defensive defenseman we got and he gets hurt (where have I heard that before…).

98. "Steve Smith" says:

This bet DSF and Woodguy have is unfair, in that Brown gets to play the Oilers and Hemsky doesn’t.

99. Lucinius says:

Okay, that’s it. Call the game. Cede it. Let’s get out of this before we lose even more players.

100. "Steve Smith" says:

Lucinius,

What’s Sebastien Bisaillon doing these days?

101. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”:

Brown is a bad, bad man.

Hemsky, not so much.

102. Lucinius says:

Brown right there with the play I hate the most in the game of hockey. near boards and getting pressure from oncoming d-man? Turn your back to him as late as possible so he hits you in the numbers to draw the penalty simply because its by the boards.

Hit on Smid? Fair game and no call because he wasn’t hit into the boards.

One day Brown will do that and injure himself. Too damn high risk and indicative of a dumb hockey player, imo (and yes, I know he’s a good player, but that play right there pisses me off).

103. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF: Brown is a bad, bad man.

Sure, if you’re talking about Leroy.

104. danny says:

“Steve Smith”:

So many levels of awesome.

105. danny says:

“Steve Smith”: Sure, if you’re talking about Leroy.

Best comment since Dennis’s review of Salo for Gilbert.

106. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”: Sure, if you’re talking about Leroy.

That works.

RH minute eating Dmen are not easy to find.

The Oilers had 1 and looks like they had two.

Now it looks like they might have one.

LH Dmen defense first Dmen don’t grow on trees, but its close.

108. Gerta Rauss says:

Leroy Brown

Awesome.

109. hunter1909 says:

I hear they might switch captains after the game.

110. hunter1909 says:

4-1 down in the third. Maybe Horcoff scores a natural hat trick to even things up, like captains should be able to do, occasionally.

111. "Steve Smith" says:

I don’t mean to hyperbolize, but the Oilers are the worst team ever to play any sport in a professional league, in this dimension or any other.

112. hunter1909 says:

Smyth sending a message for the LA game.

Kings have playoffs to worry about and 2 points in the bag. Fans salivating meanwhile at oiler’s display of team toughness, as does KLowe, who’s dropped by tonight despite his current Team Canada responsibilities..

113. hunter1909 says:

"Steve Smith":

Snap.

114. hunter1909 says:

Penner looks at least 40 pounds heavier. Looks like he’s skating uphill.

115. voxwah says:

Any team looking to tank next year should pick up Nikoli. He is complete money for a tank job.

116. DSF says:

"Steve Smith":

They might have a good shot in the AHL playoffs but I hear the Bears are a bear.

117. DSF says:

Tonight’s fun fact.

Sheldon Souray is +17.

118. hunter1909 says:

Horcoff looked 60 years old when leaving the ice(last). Maybe that’s it. He’s really WHA Oilers own Jimmy Harrison, now with Mickey Rourke’s plastic surgeon.

119. hunter1909 says:

voxwah:

What about Shawn Horcoff? Trade for then make this dude captain and I guarantee you that within in five years your team is going to end up with/get the following level of young players: Hall/Eberle/RNH/Pajaarvi/Gagner/ Yakupov(subject to oilers winning their next important franchise battle – the upcoming NHL draft lottery) lol.

120. "Steve Smith" says:

The good news is that we out-hit the Kings. I hear that that’s important.

121. fuzzy muppet says:

Maybe Horcoff will be the ultimate Team player and retire???

122. striatic says:

pathetic.

how about playing someone who wants to play hockey, like Omark.

while you’re at it, how about not embarrassingly bungling yet another call-up.

what’s with this organization and jerking around their swedes?

123. Gerta Rauss says:

fuzzy muppet: Maybe Horcoff will be the ultimate Team player and retire???

We could hire a Gillooly for the training staff. Or a Soprano..:)

It looked to me like 1 team had something to play for and the other one didn’t.

124. DSF says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Maybe Horcoff will be the ultimate Team player and retire???

I think he already did.

Just didn’t inform the league.

125. vishcosity says:

A couple months ago I managed to convince a few non hockey people to meet for this Sunday’s exhibit at the ponda. To see the chosen ones.

After tonight’s game, I’m not sure I want to go.

Its really hard to communicate with people who are fans of other teams because they talk about playoffs while I’ve been watching the draft for months. Its like I’m two months ahead.

I forgot my Oilers sweater in southern Arizona. Maybe its for the best.

The more I watch this team the more I think they are the new Atlanta Thrashers.

Sub in Hall, RNH, Eberle for Heatley, Kovalchuk, etc and it looks similar.

Oilers have more good forwards, but no D, no G and management with no clue as to the market for players or what they actually need.

Word is that the Oilers “forgot” about sending PRV down on trade deadline day for the clear day roster, then bringing him up.

Then bring up Harski, Omark, VV and there is your 4 non-emergency call ups.

Attention to details is apparently not SOP at Oiler HQ.

I’m a senior manager/minority owner in a company with $80MM in revenue every year.

If my product knowledge was as bad as Tambellni’s (re: CBA, market for goalies, market for RH minute eating Dmen , etc), I wouldn’t be in my position long.

Tambellini is a senior manager in $95MM revenue company and is clueless.

A lot of people say “well, you don’t know how hard his job it etc, etc”

Bullshit.

I know his type.

When I got my business unit going, we were a $30MM revenue company.

Guys like Tambellini managed our competitors.

Now we are $80MM ($90MM during 08 boom, yay!)

The world of business is full of senior managers who aren’t that good at what they do.

The business of hockey is full of them too.

127. DSF says:

@ Woodguy.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

These clowns don’t have a clue.

The evidence is overwhelming.

128. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF: Welcome to the Dark Side.

I do not think that “welcome” means what you think that it means.

129. oilersfan says:

Anybody hear how long Petry and Smid are out?

If Regina gets eliminated tomorrow, given all the dmen injuries in okc, I bet Marincin plays a few games in the NHL to end the season. Can’t be worse than Barker!

130. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

I’ll bet your competitors at least got where they were on better qualifications than excellent lung capacity and a high tolerence for physical pain. I get that ex-athletes know the game, but so do people who’ve spent their entire lives watching it.
    Of course this only applies to management, I’m fine with ex-athletes getting the good coaching gigs. I would absolutely no idea how to run a big-league practise.

131. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”: I do not think that “welcome” means what you think that it means.

I think “welcome” means exactly what it seems in the scatological sense.

Woodguy has always had a somewhat optimistic view of the Oilers while displaying a jaunty quizzical view of some their machinations.

It would appear he has now embraced a more realistic “who the fuck are these clowns and why do they have jobs” approach.

I think I know what that means.

132. DSF says:

oilersfan:
    Anybody hear how long Petry and Smid are out?

Why, exactly, does any of this matter?

133. oilersfan says:

Because many of us here are Marincin fans and would like to see him play.

Why, exactly, are you posting on an Oilers’ fan site when you hate the Oilers? Did the flames fans, leafs fans, and habs fans you’ve been bugging tell you to screw off too?

134. DSF says:

oilersfan:
    Because many of us here are Marincin fans and would like to see him play.

Just you.

135. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF: No.

Just you.

I do not think that “just” means what you think that it means.

Ha!

I read DSF’s post and though almost exactly that.

I’m just really sick of it.

I can’t bitch like I used to when I had season tickets, but Lordy, the evidence piles up that these guys are a bunch of jokers and the general reaction is “Phhthttp, its a rebuild”

Terry Jones lets the Oilers have it a bit, but lets up on the PRV thing

Best quote:

From Kevin Lowe:

So no ones at fault.

Same Impeccable Ricky who screwed up Brule’s waiver status and Hartikainen’s transfer date.

Fucking clowns.

Yakety Sax.

138. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”: I do not think that “just” means what you think that it means.

I don’t think means means what you thinks it means.

139. oilersfan says:

I wonder what other division of katz’s empire is run by two guys who didn’t go to college?

It would be an interesting study to see which gm’s of nhl teams have post secondary education and which do not and the track record of those teams?

On the one hand Chiarelli and the canucks’ guy are lawyers, but then so are Burke and Howson…

140. Schitzo says:

The Olczyk thing is pretty unsettling. It’s not a good sign when your expectations are “please just get the details right”. Other teams are constantly pushing the CBA and looking for advantages (adding thowaway years on big deals, taking on dead cash for picks/prospects, etc.).

I want a management team that is a leader in that area and constantly scheming… Not a team that hopefully gets it right, most days.

141. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF:
    Tonight’s fun fact.
    Sheldon Souray is +17.

Forgot one:

(VAN) Zack Kassian + Thomas Gragnani = 4 pts

( BUFF) Cody Hodgson + Christian Ehrhoff = 39 pts

142. art vandelay says:

That “Canucks guy” is Mike Gillis, a former Bruin, a lawyer, and one of those instrumental in bringing down Alan Eagleson.

143. stevezie says:

oilersfan:

Burke is a successful GM, let’s not kid around on that point. I also thought Howson was a terrific assistant GM, even if you look at the BJs he negotiated some real nice contracts. He just got Peter Prinicpled.

144. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Terry Jones lets the Oilers have it a bit, but lets up on the PRV thing

Best quote:

From Kevin Lowe:

So no ones at fault.

Fucking clowns.

Yakety Sax.

It’s not unusual for teams to not lay blame in public. What happened on your vacation. You have returned deeply bitter.

145. bookje says:

Woodguy,

When you manage to get a $300million subsidy from the city, then you can talk. Ok, I am kidding there. You are correct, just because someone is in a senior position, it does not mean that they are competent. Donald Trump?

146. Maverick says:

Woodguy,

Some one needs to tell the Oilers Management team and some of their players that there is still games left in the season! How can these guys in Management continue to “screw up” fine details of running an NHL team. 4 call ups boys! We all knew the rules on here on the blogs and we are just fans not getting paid to run the ship! This is why teams and players out right laugh at this team! Bunch of “ass-clowns”, then Lowe with his comments are the topping on the cake, just admit the mistake and move on but passing the buck makes them look like clowns again!

Much of the players mailed it in last night and again the lovely veteran players are leading the charge to the golf course. The kids can’t do all the heavy lifting and pull the team along. I am just as sick as everyone else that this once Proud Oilers Organization we all enjoyed watching and growing up with is now a “joke” in the eyes of the NHL peers. Argh!

147. bookje says:

Anyway, the MPS thing is a sideshow for me. My real concern is how they have treated Omark and now Belanger.

Omark – If the team was not serious about giving him a chance, then why not tell him early and send him back the the SEL. All year, he was given a few third line chances and never put into a position to succeed. All we hear from the AHL guys is that Omark was a dedicated professional. He is a reasonably hard worker on the ice. I just don’t understand the logic of having the guy around for the full year if there is no interest.

Belanger – The guy is having his worst year of his career in Edmonton. Some of it could be him, but some of it is having to play with linemates of limited quality and with poor defense. All year, he has been given time on ice, pp time, etc. However, with 4 games to play, the team decides to make him a healthy scratch. Why? Is it because they want to send Free Agents a message that Edmonton is a crappy place to play? I would understand it if it was game 30 of the season, but to sit a veteran free agent who signed with you over the summer in game 78 – Stupid. I wonder if Renney doesn’t like Belanger, but was forced to play him by the GM and now Renney, with his last gasps, is just doing what he pleases.

Hard to know

148. bookje says:

DSF:
    Tonight’s fun fact.

Sheldon Souray is +17.

and has had 2 points in his last 40 games or something like that. After a three week great start, he has been an ok top four defensive defenceman. Probably earning his contract, but thats about it.

bookje: It’s not unusual for teams to not lay blame in public.What happened on your vacation.You have returneddeeply bitter.

Vacation was great.

Just went over the tipping point I guess.

Now we now what Omark’s tweet of “???????????????” Was in reference to.

I’m thinks its swedish for “these fucking guys run a NHL team? Really?”

150. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker: Forgot one:

(VAN) Zack Kassian + Thomas Gragnani = 4 pts

( BUFF) Cody Hodgson + Christian Ehrhoff = 39 pts

Your math is a little wonky.

Kassian has 10 points. Gragnani has 10. They were acquired for Hodgson.

Ehrhoff wanted a lifetime contract and Gillis wouldn’t give it to him because he’s not stupid and because Alex Edler was emerging as a replacement.

Edler: 11G 36A 47P
    Ehrhoff – 5G 27A 32P

Looks like Gillis knew what he was doing.

151. bookje says:

Woodguy: Actually admitting a mistake when its so glaring would show some… Ummmmm. ..Clarity?

Vacation was great.

Just went over the tipping point I guess.

Now we now what Omark’s tweet of “???????????????” Was in reference to.

I’m thinks its swedish for “these fucking guys run a NHL team? Really?”

Fair enough. I agree that the Oilers would have been better to just declare ‘mea culpa’ , laugh about it, and go from there. Just call it a spur of the moment decision to call MPS up by the GM without having time to check into the details before getting him on the Plane. Joke about it by saying that MPS deserved a quick vacation or something.

I also get the tipping point – I will hit it at some point over the summer if I don’t see progress. I like the rebuild in general and have been very forgiving of some mistakes because I have viewed them in the light of “the team isn’t really trying to compete so…” However, I wonder a fair bit about what is going on with Benanger, Omark, and Eager. Two of those guys are intended to be part of the competitive team of the future and it hasn’t been working out. A lot of veterans have not been performing well which is also a concern. However, I can see the team being competitive next year if they replace Khabi with a mid-level goalie (running DD and Other goalie) and pick up a legitimate top 2 defenseman (even a Smid like character to solidify things). Two defensemen would be best.

I think a lot of players (Gagner, Horcoff, Hemsky, Smyth, Belanger, Eager, MPS, etc) will improve a LOT if they were playing in front of an NHL (as opposed to AHL) calibre defense corps. It does not have to be a stellar D-corp, but just a solid one.

So, if I see a reasonable job of addressing goaltending and d-corp over the summer, I will remain a fan of the Tambellini rebuild and see how it goes in the fall. If not…I will become a ranting critic.

With that said, no extension for Tambellini or Renney. I am guessing we will soon see what that means. Lowe has a lifetime appointment, right?

I actually fear the firing of Tambellini and the re-establishment of a Lowe regime. I can see the Katz jet flying all around North America on the ‘Sign a Free Agent’ tour and a trading of the Oilers first round pick for an ageing defenseman who has won a few Stanley Cups.

152. nathan says:

“4 call ups boys! We all knew the rules on here on the blogs”

Tambellini: “We believed we had confirmation to recall Magnus in one of our four call-ups after the trade deadline”

Ireland: “Teams are allowed to make just four player transactions after the NHL trade deadline, even if it’s a paper transaction, which is what had happened in February. The Oilers had assigned Paajarvi to the Barons to ensure he could play in the AHL playoffs, then immediately recalled him. The winger did not leave the Oilers fold.”

Tambellini has no extension and whether he should stay or go this event is not relevant. Until you actually file the transaction the NHL reps advance word that the paper recall won’t count is worth the paper it isn’t printed on. This is purely optics and if that’s all your worried about then the only thing you’d do diifferently is you’d file the paperwork and leave Paajarvi in OKC for an extra game.

But if Tambi needs to go for other reasons the tar and feathers are right over there. Have at em.

153. nathan says:

2 decisive losses, Paajarvi banished to OKC and Omark to the press box, plus Smid and Petry injured. May just screw over the Habs yet even if we have to screw up the shipment of hockey equipment on a road trip and fire the stickboy to finish the job.

154. Ribs says:

Woodguy: “It wasn’t Tambellini at all. And I’d hate to see Ricky take a hit on this. He is impeccable when it comes to dealing with all of this.”

I wonder how direct of a quote this is. It’s kind of funny that he calls Olczyk “Ricky” and refers to Tambellini by his last name.

““All the general managers feel the same way — it’s a rule that needs to be changed.”

Lowe speaking for all of the leagues GMs (even though he isn’t one).

155. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF,

Ummmm…since the trade?

Looking forward to the playoffs and hoping the Hawks and Nucks meet up along the way.

For purely selfish reasons.

156. Ribs says:

I missed most of the game last night. What happened to Smid? Oilers say he left the game with a neck injury. Oh boy. Well… he lasted most of the season.

Schultz played over 26 minutes. Are we happy now, Oilogosphere?

157. cabbiesmacker says:

nathan:

He’s not the disease Nate but he’s a symptom.

158. cabbiesmacker says:

Ribs:

Schultz played over 26 minutes. Are we happy now, Oilogosphere?

Turned his back on Dustin Brown behind the Oiler net and got slammed. Didn’t hit the boards but it looked like a whiplash kinda thing.

159. Ribs says:

cabbiesmacker,

Ah, thanks. Well… At least he didn’t do it to himself this time. Damn you, Leroy.

Ribs:

Schultz played over 26 minutes. Are we happy now, Oilogosphere?

Those of us who dislike the trade don’t dislike the player. Shultz is a fine player.

You don’t pay Gilbert to get him though.

161. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker:
    DSF,

Ummmm…since the trade?

For purely selfish reasons.

Not sure how you worked Ehrhoff into a trade since that never happened.

Gill traded Hodgson because there was no spot for him that matched his skill set and tried to balance his roster by adding some grit on the wing and also acquiring a very promising young defenseman.

Likely be a while before that trade can be called either way.

162. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Late reply, but it follows that you can rate DSF on plus/minus (how appropriate).

Half signal and half noise is 1:1 aka zero decibels SNR.

But his fondness for jamming the channel with his Decontextualized Statictical Feed means more noise than signal earning DSF a negative decibel SNR

This leads to a simple way to handicap trolling:

“0″ (half noise)
    “-10″ (10 fold Noise)
    “-20″ (100 fold Noise)

“Negative SNR can be thought of as how many dB the signal is beneath the noise floor”

P.S. You are right. He’s smart and lots of us would like to write as well. So yes when he wants to there’s a lot of useful signal.