I Wish It Would Rain

Last night driving the Al Gore and tooling around town today listening to the radio, it appears as though the Oilers are bound and determined to send Ryan Smyth back to the damn airport disappointed. I was most interested to hear that Ryan Smyth is going to have to accept a “third line” role on next year’s Oilers. Music! Now, let’s go out and find six guys better than him, shall we? Help me, baby Jesus. It’s like the whole damn town gets caught up in the minutia of the rebuild and forgets there’s a workday straight ahead.

Ryan Smyth’s minutes will one day wind down and blow away like the dust on a window sill in spring. Baby, this isn’t the spring, and it won’t be next year either. Not with this team. Edmonton has employed several wingers this season, here are the men who have appeared in 40 or more games and their minutes per game:

1. Ryan Smyth 19:14 (14:35EV; 2:36PP; 2:03PK)
  2. Taylor Hall 18:29 (15:19EV; 3:07PP; 0:02PK)
  3. Ales Hemsky 17:31 (15:15EV; 2:13PP; 0:02 PK)
  4. Jordan Eberle 17:19 (14:07EV; 3:09PP; 0:02 PK)
  5. Ryan Jones 15:03 (11:55EV; 0:44PP; 2:22 PK)
  6. Magnus Paajarvi 13:10 (11:56EV; 1:01PP; 0:12 PK)
  7. Lennart Petrell 9:25 (8:10; 0:01PP; 1:13PK)
  8. Ben Eager 8:40 (8:36EV; 0:03PP; 0:00PK)
  9. Darcy Hordichuk 4:05 (4:05 EV)?

Okay, so what I heard on the radio today was that Smyth was going to have to live with 3rd line minutes and some nights off next season if he wants to return. Edmonton hasn’t signed Smyth, but do have three outstanding wingers under contract for next year: Hall, Hemsky, Eberle.

Take a long look. Anyone on that list look like they’re ready to take on Smyth’s tough minutes at even strength? the PK minutes? Seriously, where on this list do you see Fernando Pisani or Mike Grier? Come on, let’s go here. We’re burning daylight.

Ryan Jones? No. Lennart Petrell? No. Magnus Paajarvi? No, not ready.

Remember, we’re talking about the winger facing the toughest opponents and tough zone starts while still delivering offensively. That’s a really valuable player. Smyth might look like Claire Alexander out there with his old timey helmet and battle scars, but lordy this guy has value. If you don’t believe me, wait 4 months and watch how quickly Calgary makes an offer.

NO STRINGS MORE THUNDER

Maybe you’re thinking “well hell, Smyth started well but he’s been junk since the All-Star break.” Okay, let’s do that:

1. Eberle 20, 12-8-20 +3 18:41
  2. Hall 20, 10-9-19 +2 19:26
  3. Hemsky 20, 1-9-10 -7 17:58
  4. Smyth 20, 3-6-9 -3 17:35
  5. Paajarvi 8, 2-2-4 E 14:51
  6. Jones 17, 2-2-4 -3 14:14
  7. Eager 18, 2-2-4 E 9:21
  8. Petrell 20, 1-2-3 -4 9:21
  9. Hordichuk 9, 0-1-1 E 3:57

Okay, let’s try again. Surely we can see the “Smyth replacement now that we’ve taken that bad old data from Oct-Jan out of there. NOW we can see how bad Smyth has truly been!

Riiiiiight. Ryan Smyth isn’t the problem. Seriously. The PROBLEM is that the Edmonton Oilers (say it with me) don’t have enough NHL players. Ryan Smyth is one of the few. The Oilers don’t have Smyth under contract for next year, but joining the big three (Hall, Eberle, Hemsky) next season will be Ryan Jones, Magnus Paajarvi and Ben Eager. That’s 6 wingers. I don’t know how many can cheer for an Edmonton Oiler team that trades Ryan Smyth but holds on to mediocrity and worse like grim death. Seriously.  When Ryan Smyth heads to the airport this time, I doubt he’s alone.

69 Responses to "I Wish It Would Rain"

1. Jordan says:

Kevin Lowe will drive him there personally this time?

2. ebs backhand says:

LT: You make a convincing point. : )
    Any chance this has nothing to do with the org. though, and is pure idiotic media dribble, possibly fallout from Renneys comments last night?

I think the team will resign 94, and to a certain extent know what they have in him, they are just being dicks about it.

I dont imagine Vish and Smyths agent (Meehan?) have the best of relationships, plus it’s not like Smyth is gonna move to NY over a few 100 grand again…

I’m sure term is a big issue for both parties as well. Bottom line is LT is right, this team is absolutely SUNK next year without 94, and about 3 more like him.

The fans in this market (probably in others too, I don’t know), don’t understand that not all time on ice is created equally.

Sadly, the media doesn’t get it for the most part either.

It was like when all the media (lead by Stauffer) was screaming that Eberle wasn’t getting enough ice time.

Renney was keeping 93 and 14 sheltered like calves born on a -40 morning, which was a key reason that they were scoring well.

More ice time for those two meant tougher ice time, which isn’t necessarily what you want.

4-93-14 got killed in scoring chances and shots by Marleau

I don’t know if Smyth is up to the task of logging those minutes next year, but for an organization and GM that is preaching competition for spots, they don’t seem to be eager to let the rubber hit the road for real.

I initially didn’t like Smyth pushing 91, or 23, or 56 down the depth chart, but I was wrong in my thinking.

I thought, “Its a rebuilding year, give the kids the at bats, it won’t hurt them”

Then I realized that its fine if he pushes them down the depth chart, because its the NHL and the best player should be in the spot.

The problem is that management decided to push 91,23 and 56 down to the AHL when they are better options for the NHL than 37,55,28,57, and 16.

The best players didn’t get the NHL roster spots.

Coaches tend to work those they trust the most.

Its like when Lowe didn’t resign Marty Reasoner in the summer of 2008 and took him away from MacT. Its not that Reasoner didn’t fill the 4C spot, its that Lowe wanted Brodziak to play there and given a choice MacT would play Reasoner over Brodziak all day long.

I think that the management’s thinking on this is faulty.

They talk about roster spots being earned and not gifts, but their actions speak otherwise.

Especially if you are Finnish or Swedish.

4. bookje says:

The collective mood drop regarding the Oilers in the last 48 hours has been astounding. Its like Renney woke up all of the fans who were just coasting on in and waiting for next year.

Its getting weird and I would know where things were at if Renney and Tambellini had contracts. I honestly have no clue what is going on – I would not be shocked to see them both back here next season, nor would I be shocked to see them both gone before the end of the season.

5. Gret99zky says:

It’s gotta be term they can’t agree on.

Oilers would be crazy to offer more than a one year deal because of his age and the unknown upcoming CBA.

LT, would you go 3yrs @ $6M (3M, 2M, 1M)?

6. Bar_Qu says:

No way they make the mistake of letting Smyth go again because of money.

Right?

Right.

For a team that lives on its history, they sure don’t seem to remember much of it.

I’d go two years max. You can’t go any more than that, but I don’t think Smyth would/should expect longer. I’d prefer year by year but the Oilers have backed themselves into a corner imo. Hall’s coming on but you still need Smyth to do a lot of tough work next season.

8. Maverick says:

I really hope they don’t lose Ryan Smyth, he has a lot of miles on that NHL player body and playing all the minutes at the beginning of the year isn’t helping. I think from your list above Lowetide, it is the other Ryan (Jones) who’s leaving on a jet plane. Based on last night comments there might be a couple players who will be leaving town.

9. Gret99zky says:

Gosh I hope we can get Penner on a value contract next year.

Also, if the CBA gives us the opportunity for a do-over on the Horcoff contract that would be awesome.

Then we could re-sign him to a value contract as well.

Saving money on the same crappy players makes the team better.

Where is Pisani these days? Does he do value contracts?

10. oilersfan says:

Lowetide

I think you are exagerrating. The oilers are negotiating through the media. Smyth wants 4 million for two years, per year. I think he is worth half of that.

They will re-sign him. No doubt. They want a one year deal under 3 he wants 8 over two. Let the negotiations through the radio continue….

oilersfan:
    Lowetide

2yrs $8MM is a litlle rich.

I’d do 1 year $3.5 based on his results this year.

12. rich says:

I would like to hope that mgmnt has learned not to be stupid about contracts and yes, it may be that they are negotiating thru the media, but candidly right now, Smyth holds all cards. The “new” (old) NHL is going back to the clutch & grab/slash and whack days of the dead puck era in order to slow the game down and reduce concussions.

Fewer goals will come off rushes and power plays and more will be done from getting traffic in front of the net. So let’s play hard ball with the one player with the stones on the roster to go to the front of the net consistently to score goals. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant manuever by v3.5 to negotiate in the media.

This team needs d-men, needs a goalie and since the head coach does not like Swedes, needs top 9 forwards and we’re going to let one go.

Freaking brilliant.

Right on cue Matty has a story about Smyth’s drop in production and the contract negotiation.

Matty says Oilers have offered a 2 year contract.

oilersfan:
    Lowetide

Yeah, I think we can trust the Oilers to be levelheaded and mature in their contract negotiations with Ryan Smyth. What could go wrong?

15. DSF says:

Woodguy: 2yrs $8MM is a litlle rich.

I’d do 1 year $3.5 based on his results this year.

See, this is where a salary grid can get pooched by bad contracts.

While being somewhat older, Smyth has outperformed both 5.5 Horcoff and 5.0 Hemsky this season.

How do you justify paying him less?

16. hunter1909 says:

Smyth gets an offer that management thinks is fair, and he signs. Otherwise he’s free to pack his bags. Smyth’s the one who demanded to return to Edmonton, so he can suck it up when the management decide to do just about anything with him.

Smyth certainly becomes a third line option, because Magnus Pajaarvi’s new coach will want to play him up on the Grigorenko/Eberle line.

Once again, if Smyth demands anything the coach doesn’t agree with, tough shit.

How about Tambellini offers him a 1 million base contract, with a 100K bonus for every goal he scores.

17. DSF says:

hunter1909:

Once again, if Smyth demands anything the coach doesn’t agree with, tough shit.

They should offer him a 1 million base contract, with a 100K bonus for every goal he scores.

He’s not eligible for bonuses.

And why would you insult the man just because he wanted to retire an Oiler?

Classy.

18. Dipstick says:

DSF: See, this is where a salary grid can get pooched by bad contracts.

How do you justify paying him less?

19. DSF says:

Dipstick: If I overspend on a liter of milk and a dozen eggs, does that mean that I have to overspend on the loaf of bread as well?

If the loaf of bread has en ego and an agent…you just might,

If Tambellini feels he has a better option for a veteran winger, he should adopt that stance but if he doesn’t, he might want to tread carefully.

20. hunter1909 says:

DSF,

I started off by saying he gets a contract offer management thinks is fair. What’s insulting about that?

He’s never going to be a lifetime oiler. I probably just enjoy writing this drivel.

21. Dipstick says:

DSF,

I hope that Tambi is not insane enough to make the same mistakes over and over expecting better results. That being said, a small short term overpay for Smyth would be OK with me.

If you do a one year deal, you could add bonuses, Smyth is ovew 35.

3.5 is fair for his production, maybe a little low, but he’s a declining addet and wants to be here.

Its certainly not an insult.

Also,

Don Meehan is driving the Smyth bus, Stacey Smyth is.

23. Gret99zky says:

I would be willing to enter a bidding war with Calgary for Ryan Smyth. I doubt they value him as much as we do.

24. sliderule says:

Wasn’t one of the reasons he wanted out of LA is that he was told he would be getting third line minutes?

I love Smitty but he has never been fast and those long shifts he likes seem to have him really gasping..I am sure you all have noticed that his slapper is still peewee level yet he still likes to let her go.

The bottom line is that he can still help but he should be happy with whatever role they can give him.At this point in his career he can’t dictate terms

25. Gret99zky says:

Woodguy:
    If you do a one year deal, you could add bonuses, Smyth is ovew 35.

Its certainly not an insult.

Also,

Don Meehan is driving the Smyth bus, Stacey Smyth is.

Holy crap where is the waitress?

yes, I want what he is spelling.

26. Gret99zky says:

DSF: If the loaf of bread has en ego and an agent…you just might,

See now that’s the problem. Does Tambi even know what options are? Besides the draft.

Maybe MacT is the answer. He is the only man on Earth who can solve the What to do without Ryan Smyth? question.

Answer: Toby Petersen.

C’mon guys. Don Meehan is just being a p%#% again, going to the media, getting the Smyth fans riled up, trying to put public pressure on Tambellini to overpay Smyth, who has no other options.

This is just like that phoney Calgary gambit prior to the trade.

The same Don Meehan who leaked that Pronger wanted out of Edmonton to bludgeon Lowe into trading him, and who took Smyth away the first time, even though Meehan had beaten Lowe to a pulp in the negotiation. The same Don Meehan who let Dean Lombardi stew for awhile last July 1 on the street outside his locked Missisauga office tower doors.

Take a few chill pills guys. This is just a negotiation, and Don Meehan always fights dirty.

28. DSF says:

Dipstick:
    DSF,

I hope that Tambi is not insane enough to make the same mistakes over and over expecting better results.That being said, a small short term overpay for Smyth would be OK with me.

I expect your hopes will continue to be dashed.

Since the lockout Smyth has outscored both Horcoff and Hemsky.

Smyth – 373 PTS
    Hemsky – 360
    Horcoff – 323

That he continues to do so this season while sitting at -3 while Horcoff -21 and Hemsky -17 are in the running for the green jacket, would lead me to believe he just might have more relative value than many folks think.

What value would you place on his contribution?

29. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    If you do a one year deal, you could add bonuses, Smyth is ovew 35.

Its certainly not an insult.

Also,

Don Meehan is driving the Smyth bus, Stacey Smyth is.

Doesn’t the player have to be coming back from LTIR to qualify for bonuses?

That was my understanding.

30. Gret99zky says:

I’d like to see some new faces on the team.

The sooner we part with some of the useless vets on this team and replace them with real, more realiable vets (eg: Schultz) the better.

I’m tired of the Oiler vets these days.

Make Hall the Captain. Smid an A. And give the other to Hemsky because he made a hell of a deal that had better pan out right fucking next year.

Somebody besides the kids should start filling their boots.

31. Mr DeBakey says:

Gosh I hope we can get Penner on a value contract next year.

Then we could re-sign him to a value contract as well.

Saving money on the same crappy players makes the team better.

Ahhh, memory, like the players, crappy.

Around the time Hemsky was re-signed someone had the temerity to call him a “tough minutes outscorer”. A description ill befitting the minus machine we see before us these days.

But, of course, he was a tough minutes outscorer when the Oilers last had NHL goaltending. He, Horcoff & Penner were all Plus Players that season, while having the highest Qualcomp numbers.

Penner, Horcoff & Hemsky

In another memory hole trick, this morning Matheson repeated the Stauffer meme about how not getting Heatley was a good thing. Because if the Oilers had had Heatly, they’d never had gotten Hall.

Not getting Heatley was a good thing, but it has nothing to do with getting, or not, Taylor Hall.

In the 09-10 season, the “get Hall” season, Penner had 32 goals, Heatley 39. Hmmm.

Signing Smyth will help the Oilers next season, so would signing the flawed, but effective Dustin Penner. You don’t really think he’s going to shoot 5.32% again next year, do you?

Note
    The other Plus forwards for the Oilers in 08-09 were Nilsson & Pouliot. Grebby ws +12.
    Outscorers, Bahh!

32. Gret99zky says:

Mr DeBakey,

And where did the team finish?

Oh yeah.

Good post.

Yer right, Penner, Nilsson, Pouliot, and Grebby will all be good signings this summer.

I wish I lived in world where signing Penner is better than signing Heatley.

Oh well.

33. Traktor says:

This thread reminds me of the time when Tambellini was an idiot for not trading a 2nd round pick for Ryan Smyth and then got him for a 6th rounder instead.

Gret99zky: Holy crap where is the waitress?

yes, I want what he is spelling.

Sober. Blackberry. Tough to read to proof read.

I meant Meehan ISN’t driving the bus. Stacey Smyth is.

One of the main reasons he’s here is because she didn’t want to raise her kids far from family.

Or so the story goes.

I don’t blame her one bit and thank her for helping put the Oilers and Smyth back together.
    s

35. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: 2yrs $8MM is a litlle rich.
    I’d do 1 year $3.5 based on his results this year.

LW that face the toughs and are better +/- at even.
    Tanguay 3.5M
    Lucic 4.1M
    Elias 6M
    Pavelski 4M
    Oshie RFA

5 LW in the whole league. With a UFA contract average of 4.4M

36. Mr DeBakey says:

I wish I lived in world where signing Penner is better than signing Heatley.

On this far off planet, what about their respective Salary Caps.

37. regwald says:

Here’s a comment out of the blue. I left the radio on past the end of the Gregor show and got Bob McGowan who had John Shannon and Jim Hughson. They started talking about the Canucks and such and also mentioned that the talk is the Oilers first overall might be in play if they can get the right established dman. The final decision hasn’t been made, but they are looking for an upgrade on the blue instead of drafting one of the Russians.

Not your typical Oiler rumour mongers, but was interesting to hear.

I’\ve heard Columbus is not interested in a Russian forward after their previous issues with Filatov. Not sure where I heard that though.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

regwald,

That’s great news if true-the Oilers first round pick is absolutely in play on the planet I live on.

39. regwald says:

Gerta Rauss,

Agreed. The other part of the discussion was interesting in that they said the Oilers don’t need more top end forwards. With D and goaltending being top priority.

DSF,

As far as I know 1yr 35+ contacts can have performance bonuses.

41. bookje says:

Woodguy: Sober.Blackberry.Tough to read to proof read.

I meant Meehan ISN’t driving the bus. Stacey Smyth is.

Or so the story goes.

s

Give Smythe a one year contract for $7 million with $6 million of it being bonus based as follows: Three $2 million bonuses for his wife finding a nice cousin, niece or other Edmonton girl to marry Hall, Eberle, or RNH.

1-year $3 million dollars with NMC. Offer expires June 1. Take it or leave it. Pretty simple negotiation.

If Nick Lidstrom can go a year at a time, so can Ryan Smyth.

43. OilClog says:

This just doesn’t make any sense.. but I mean what in the last 20yrs has.

I’m for the time being going to go with hope on this one.. I hope it’s just a matter of time before smyth is resigned, I hope this isn’t anything more then a.. this can be done and signed once the season is over.. I hope the team actually shows some class for once and doesn’t drag this thru the mud.

Why has my optimism about the future of our team seem as low as it’s been in the last few years..

I’m sick of the captain that doesn’t make waves.

I’m sick of a coached that is out coached by his own assistant.

I’m sick of a gm that should be PR rep and nothing more.

I’m sick of a mega bucks owner that doesn’t seem to give a shit about the product on the ice.

6 straight seasons out of the playoffs and embarrassed every step of the way.. I’m surprized that any of us still care. I no longer defend my team when opposing fans call me down at the pub for three periods and the rest of the night.

I’ve put my hats, flags, and loyalty in a locked box.. I’m going to treat it like a time capsule and remember this 20yrs from now. Maybe by then we’ve made the playoffs as a 8th seed once or twice.

This is a post of a Oilers fan, that’s watching a Flames game on TV and is actually enjoying it more. I never knew when reality would set it that it would hurt so damn much.

44. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    DSF,

As far as I know 1yr 35+ contacts can have performance bonuses.

You are correct sir.

I found the clause:

Performance bonuses can be earned by the following players only:

- players on entry-level contracts

- veteran players (400 or more games) signing one-year contracts. after returning from long-term injuries (100 or more days on injured reserve in their most recent year).

- players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

45. Gret99zky says:

OilClog,

As soon as you get a shovel and start moving some dirt downtown there will be no significant changes on this team until the draft.

Each year.

46. Gret99zky says:

Katz isn’t doing shit until some progress is made downtown.

Would you?

Why bother until the blue coller ticket buyers start to see a hard hat and steel toe only site up and running.

Katz is a genius. Book it.

47. Gret99zky says:

What’s the rush in signing Smyth when it’s a 5 year plan?

48. DSF says:

Gret99zky:
    What’s the rush in signing Smyth when it’s a 5 year plan?

What was the rush in signing Potter and Sutton?

We’ve seen this movie before.

49. DSF says:

OilClog:
    This just doesn’t make any sense.. but I mean what in the last 20yrs has.

I’m sick of the captain that doesn’t make waves.

I’m sick of a coached that is out coached by his own assistant.

I’m sick of a gm that should be PR rep and nothing more.

A quote from a Cam Cole Article on the weekend which compares the Oilers to the Leafs:

“But as Margaret Atwood noted in Cat’s Eye: “Potential has a shelf life.” And it can be heavy to carry around for any length of time.

50. DBO says:

Some players mean more then others. Emotionally I want Smyth here. And funny enough, the stats back it up. He is a 2/3 LW on this team, and not sure if there is a replacement around right now. He is a warrior who we need, albeit in a less taxing role. He should not lead us in icetiime in any game.

The lineup stands for next year

Hall. Gagner. Hemsky
    ???. RNH. Eberle
    Smyth. Horc. ???
    Eager. Belanger. Jones

2 spots open. MPS, Omark, Harsky, Lander. I’m happy with MPS and Harsky there for added size and good skill. Lander replaces Belanger if he is dealt. Get a top end dman and a goalie upgrade. If you need to move assets to score goalie and dman, you can go after a Penner on a deal.

I actually think though that no movement may mean Tambo may be done. Clear the decks, new voices in the org is needed.

51. Gret99zky says:

DSF:
    We’ve seen this movie before.

Yes, but have you seen the new arena?

Remember when Carl told Homer he didn’t have to sit on that filthy thing one moment longer?

52. Andrew W says:

Somebody put a mark on the wall: LT was definitively wrong about something.

It was 17°C and sunny in Toronto this afternoon, and the Leafs lost again. It clearly is spring.

53. DSF says:

Gret99zky: Yes, but have you seen the new arena?

Did they find the missing $100 million yet?

54. Gret99zky says:

How many other franchises will hold this much faith in #94? on july 1st? Calgary?

Not many compared to this glossy eyed fan base.

I hope management looks at the player and not the legend.

It makes for better radio than team.

55. shanestrain says:

DSF – The 100 million will find itself so to speak.

As far as #94. Shitiest professional hockey shot ever, but due to legendary status in crafty boardsmanship is entitled to 3m/per. Two years max.

My favourite current Oiler since those taken for granted 80′s.

56. Gret99zky says:

shanestrain,

That’s what makes it so easy round here.

Imagine what the future Captain Hall will command with those heartstrings.

57. oilersfan says:

for any of you paying attention, Alex Galchenyuk will play tomorrow night for Sarnia.

With all the negative attention being paid to Grigorenko’s poor work ethic (or is it just playing bad on a high ankle sprain that needed an extra month to heal?), it will be interesting to see how well Galchenyuk plays. Going into the season he sounded like the perfect second line center for the Oilers. 6’1 185, expected to mature to 200-210, first overall pick in the OHL entry draft two years ago, scored 85 points in his 16 year old season. Button loves him and compares him to Ron Francis. His agent Igor Larionov compares him to Marian Hossa, but a center.

58. "Steve Smith" says:

I have no problem with Smyth playing “third line” minutes (i.e. a third most of any left-winger), if they’re tough minutes and the guys playing more minutes are earning them (which Hall almost certainly will). It’s fairly well documented that the whole top-six/bottom-six dichotomy doesn’t stand up to scrutiny on most teams.

The notion of Ryan Smyth being a healthy scratch, based on what we know now, is absolutely moronic.

59. "Steve Smith" says:

And if you anticipate his being an occasional healthy scratch, why do you sign him for more than, say, $1.5 million? He’s good enough to be an every night NHL player or he isn’t,* and if he isn’t he shouldn’t be paid like one.

*He is.

60. Jonathan Willis says:

Meehan isn’t negotiating the Smyth contract.

61. Jonathan Willis says:

As for role, Ryan Smyth is a second-line player on this team next year, unless management brings someone else in to fill the gap. Why? Because Magnus Paajarvi’s on the farm right now and Lennart Petrell sure as heck isn’t filling the spot.

62. DeadmanWaking says:

DSF,

We’re not negotiating to pay for his past performance. We’re negotiating to pay for his future performance. If we thought his level was Kryptonite and recession-proof, we’d be making a fifteen year offer, not one or two.

I’m surprised you’re having trouble telling apart Smyth and Selanne. One of them burns a high-grade Grecian-Formula synthetic motor oil and once had reflexes so deadly he would kill bugs with his wiper blades before they hit the windscreen. The other wears Demolition Derby hockey pants and regards a good game as any game you can walk away from.

Is there a future price signal in those small observations? Just wondering.

63. Ducey says:

Didn’t this board just lose its mind for a month over the fact Hemsky wasn’t going to sign, just to find out that he signed for exactly what everyone thought was reasonable?

If, and when Smyth actually does go to the airport – it will be in 3.5 months! Maybe there is still time to negotiate??

Nick Lidstrom, nor Teemu Selanne have signed contracts for next year.

Other teams were asking Anaheim about Selanne at the deadline also.

Do you see either one of those guys negotiating via the media or leaks to the media with their teams. The guy should grow up.

Magnus Paajarvi is in the AHL because the current coach is “nuts”. What have Jones, Petrell, and Cornet gotten from Renney that Paajarvi hasn’t? A chance to play on the top two lines.

65. gcw_rocks says:

DSF,

You are paying for forecasted future production, not what he he did in the past. Smyth is MUCH older than both players and is at high risk of decline.

Smyth has also made apprximately $52M during his NHL career. At this point, if its about the money for him, that should tell you a lot about the player.

Joe Sakic went on a series of 1 year deals at Smyth’s age. He and Colorado realized that it was in the best interets of both parties to go that way. Selanne has done the same thing in Anaheim.

Katz and Smyth should have a similar understanding. A series of 1 year deals for as long as he wants to play, based on a fair rate but with some hometown discounting (both Sakic and Selanne could have had more shopping around). If that’s not good enough for Smyth at this stage of his career, then he is one greedy, self absorbed, insecure prima donna.

I hope he is our Sakic/Selanne and winds down with class. I hope Katz has the class to reassure him that we will treat him like Sakic and Selanne.

But multi-year deals for big dollars at this point would just be stupid of the Oilers. If he demands that in the face of a Katz assurance of the Sakic/Selanne treatment, then I hope they let him walk, because he truly won’t be the man we all like to think he is.

66. Lewis Grant says:

Let’s not forget that Meehan is Eberle’s agent as well.

And that the Oilers aren’t smart enough to figure out the impact of SH%, Individual Point Pct., etc.

Would anyone trade Eberle for a signed Shea Weber? Or is Eberle’s outperformance of contract in 12-13 too good to give up regardless?

(I put this out there as one of Eberle’s biggest fans.)

67. DSF says:

gcw_rocks:
    DSF,

You are paying for forecasted future production, not what he he did in the past.Smyth is MUCH older than both players and is at high risk of decline.

Smyth has also made apprximately $52M during his NHL career.At this point, if its about the money for him, that should tell you a lot about the player.

Joe Sakic went on a series of 1 year deals at Smyth’s age.He and Colorado realized that it was in the best interets of both parties to go that way.Selanne has done the same thing in Anaheim.

Katz and Smyth should have a similar understanding.A series of 1 year deals for as long as he wants to play, based on a fair rate but with some hometown discounting (both Sakic and Selanne could have had more shopping around).If that’s not good enough for Smyth at this stage of his career, then he is one greedy, self absorbed, insecure prima donna.

I hope he is our Sakic/Selanne and winds down with class.I hope Katz has the class to reassure him that we will treat him like Sakic and Selanne.

But multi-year deals for big dollars at this point would just be stupid of the Oilers.If he demands that in the face of a Katz assurance of the Sakic/Selanne treatment, then I hope they let him walk, because he truly won’t be the man we all like to think he is.

Great post.

By the reactions, one would think I am advocating a multi year big dollar contract for Smyth.

I’m not.

I merely made the observation that the dollars involved in Oiler contracts are still way out of whack and that fact is likely an issue for Smyth and his camp.

Both Hemsky and Horcoff (and Jones, Barker, Sutton and Potter) are being compensated far above their performance levels and I’m sure Smyth looks at those deals relative to his performance and figures he should be paid commensurately.

This a repeat of the situation where Smyth watched as Pisani, Moreau etc. were overcompensated while Smyth was left twisting in the wind.

Given his age, I too would offer Smyth a 1 year deal and, quite honestly, the dollars attached to it are almost irrelevant since the Oilers won’t have cap issues next season.

With the kids needing new contracts the following season, I doubt Smyth will even be a consideration so It’s likely his last Oiler contract.

1 year $5 million.

No need to insult the man.

68. Captain Obvious says:

DSF has a strange notion that the salary of players on a team are measured relative to the team and not the league. Hence the bizarre idea that there is such a thing as a “salary grid.” Insofar as teams have “salary grids” it is only to depress salaries (see Vancouver). The converse never happens. Horcoff’s salary is absolutely and completely irrelevant to what Smyth is going to get paid. The only thing that matters is recent comparable players at the time of their contracts and the set of players this is drawn from is league wide.

To suggest otherwise is to step through the looking glass.

69. DSF says:

Captain Obvious:
    DSF has a strange notion that the salary of players on a team are measured relative to the team and not the league.Hence the bizarre idea that there is such a thing as a “salary grid.”Insofar as teams have “salary grids” it is only to depress salaries (see Vancouver).The converse never happens.Horcoff’s salary is absolutely and completely irrelevant to what Smyth is going to get paid. The only thing that matters is recent comparable players at the time of their contracts and the set of players this is drawn from is league wide.

To suggest otherwise is to step through the looking glass.

So, what you’re saying is Nik Lidstrom’s salary in Detroit has had no bearing on what others on the Wings have been paid?

Of course, agents (and players) will look at a players contribution to the team when trying to reach a deal…good grief we just saw it in the Hemsky contract situation.

If Hemsky were being paid according to “The only thing that matters is recent comparable players at the time of their contracts and the set of players this is drawn from is league wide.”, Hemsky would be
    getting paid a couple million dollars less than he is.