Tom Renney gave a push to Lennart Petrell last night and the Finn delivered a solid performance. According to Dennis King scoring chances he was 5-2 during the game and quite effective during his time with RNH and Eberle (5-1 with those two, the GA had Eberle and Belanger as linemates). Coach Tom Renney felt Petrell played fine, saying “he’s not a Picasso out there, it’s more like grabbing a paint brush for a barn. But I might look at that again.”
Coach Renney called Petrell a 4th line “heavy lifter” Behind the net suggests:
- Petrell DOES face the toughest EV Zone Start among Oiler wingers, second overall to Eric Belanger in terms of tough sledding.
- His EV QualComp number is second easiest among Oiler forwards, with only Darcy Hordichuk getting easier minutes.
- His EV CorsiRel is a team worst -19.4
- Petrell and Ryan Smyth have the best 4×5 CorsiRel’s among Oiler forwards.
Petrell is an interesting player. I would suggest that Petrell might be on the way to earning a second contract. I know a lot of things can change between now and contract time, hell the GM and coach don’t have a contract and I’m not even certain Kevin Lowe is signed beyond this season. Having said that, if all things remain equal this Finn might have another season in the show. What say you?
NATION RADIO is on at noon today, Team 1260 and the website has a listen live button. If you can’t make it live, download is available at Oilers Nation usually within 24 hours of the show’s broadcast. Scheduled to appear:
- Black Dog Hates Skunks author Pat McLean. Pat was a very vocal supporter of keeping Ales Hemsky and wrote a brilliant series in defense of the signing. I’ll ask Pat about the Hemsky signing, the trade deadline, what it’s like to live in Toronto the weekend the Leafs replace a coach. And I’ll also ask him if he has any connection with twitter sensation @SHorcov.
- David Staples from the Cult of Hockey. David has been writing some exceptional items lately on the direction of advanced stats and updates us on the Sloan Sports Conference and the Oilers new stats analysis think tank that includes Cult of Hockey’s Bruce McCurdy.
- Dennis King from mc79 hockey Dennis is probably the most unique voice in the Oilogosphere choir and brings it with humor and a lot of common sense. We’ll talk Hemsky, deadline, Oil PP and I’ll ask his opinion of Lennart Petrell’s future.
- Rod Pedersen from CKRM Regina and the Sportscage. I’ll ask him about Oiler prospects Martin Marincin and Brandon Davidson (both Regina Pats) and the news this week that Saskatoon has made inquiries about NHL relocation to their city. Since my wife is a Rider fan, I may slip in a question about them to appease the masses.
- Tyler Dellow from mc79 hockey. Tyler has been quite vocal about main stream media, and we’ll talk about that along with Hemsky, deadline and I’ll throw a question or two out there about the Leafs as well.
Interesting guests top to bottom. Hope you tune in.