Oilers Shoulder Another Injury

Word this afternoon from tsn informing us about Taylor Hall’s injury. Not the concussion, the shoulder. Hall will undergo shoulder surgery and be out 6 months, with the team “hopeful” he’ll be ready for next season.

I think it’s probably time we started talking about building this team around RNH, with Hall as a possible trade asset. Some guys get injured a lot, and Hall plays the game with the kind of abandon we saw with Wendel Clark and other NHLers whose careers were shortened because of injuries.

• April 2011: Hall misses the rest of the season (17 games) with an ankle injury.
  • December 2011: Missed 7 games with a shoulder injury.
  • January 2012: Missed 2 games with a head injury.
  • March 2012: Concussed.
  • March 2012: Shoulder surgery.

Love the player, but spending big money–and let’s face it we’re going to see a big contract headed his way–is perhaps a questionable idea. It’s not a time to panic, but a rational conversation would appear to be the correct call.

100 Responses to "Oilers Shoulder Another Injury"

1. nathan says:

Good to see LT wants to flush Hall and Hemsky.

Yeah, that’s what I said.

3. ghamplas says:

it feels like every year we have a guy who doesn’t get a chance to train all summer due to injury causing a slow start.

4. Bar_Qu says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this the surgery that makes your shoulder better than it was before?
    This may just end up being normal fan angst over another injury.

Although I agree that he is getting hurt a fair bit already in his career. Perhaps this is something that keeps his second contract from being in the 6 range and keeps it in the 5s.

5. nathan says:

My mistake. Actually thought you were lampooning the Hemsky hysteria. Need to take my tin ear in for repair again. Sorry.

“Different problem or same problem, the bottom line is that Ryan Nugent Hopkins has injured his left shoulder twice in just over a month. Period.

That alone is very worrisome for a player who is all of 40 games into his first NHL season. Edmonton will certainly take their time with a franchise player knowing that his future and theirs hinges on it.”

Hall got nearly 30 goals with one good shoulder. Why would you want to not build a term around him when he gets his 2nd one back?

All the Hemsky-advocates kept saying that we didn’t have to worry about his surgically repaired shoulders? Why should be worry about Hall’s?

People are clamouring for Yakupov and Galchenyuk, and they’ve already been hurt. And Grigorenko apparently requires a “heart transplant”.

Nathan: Oh, you know, I can see how you thought that. lol. Sorry.

No, it’s a real concern. I LOVE TAYLOR HALL, he’s just a ridiculous talent. Wonderful, wonderful player. But I’m not certain he’s going to be in one piece when things get rolling.

Bar_Qu: Agreed, it could be good news long term. But this boy is piling up the injuries three at a time.

The Oilers just signed Hemsky to a two-year, $5M per contract. What do you think the Hall contract that buys years of free agency is going to look like? It’s a legit concern, this Hall contract.

9. Marc says:

“The next step is to ask “how many times has his shoulder been hurt?” and then “did the Oilers know about it when they drafted him?” and one hopes to God Almighty the answers are “just this season” and “no, not at all.””

It appears that the actual answers are “on and off for 4 years” and “probably”

10. DSF says:

Of course, the flip side of that coin is Hall’s propensity for injury will likely be factored into his next contract.

If he recovers at the same pace as Hemsky and puts up a 40 point season next year, I doubt he’ll be in line for a huge contract.

Unless Lowe is negotiating it, then all bets are off. :)

11. commonfan14 says:

I guess it’s possible that these injury concerns and a slow start next year could lead to a less than Tavares-esque long-term deal for Hall, and that he could then be healthy all the way through it…

12. commonfan14 says:

Of course, we should probably be taking a long look at drafting a forward this year, just in case.

13. Bar_Qu says:

I don’t think Hall is in Stamkos territory, let me say that. He is more likely to get something along the lines that Tavares did. And a 5.5/6yr deal with a guy like Hall is not crippling for the Oilers. Especially if you can get Eberle and RNH for similar dollars.

Bar_Qu:

They can negotiate this summer, right? That’s my concern. I think the Oilers sign Hall and Eberle to long term deals this summer. That’s my bet–unless I’m wrong on the signing window.

15. FastOil says:

I see part of developing players as mentoring them. Hall needs to learn to pick his spots. Many great players needed to be directed to do things differently to become better overall players.

Hall doesn’t have to do the cannonball thing. He is more of a player than that. He is also at a much greater size disadvantage in the NHL, and is paying the price more often when he’s not watching than he did in junior.

Hall is an amazing player, I want him on the Oilers. Yet to me, if that conversation is happening and he’s not buying, you have you’re top pairing D right there, straight up.

commonfan14:

I think that’s something to consider, for sure.

17. Botts182 says:

LT, REALLY ??!…Trade asset ?! Really..? A tad bit of a knee jerk reaction, no ?? I really enjoy the radio show, and really enjoy the articles but man, even suggesting trade asset for your #1 overall pick in 2010 completeing his 2nd NHL season….? A little out to lunch man.

18. Ducey says:

Jonanne Ireland says his shoulder has been bugging him since November. It sounds like he has known for a while he was going to need surgery.

Interesting nuggets:

Hall, who has shaken most of the concussion symptoms he was left with after being hit March 16 by Calgary Flames defenceman Cory Sarich, first injured his left shoulder when he was playing with the Windsor Spitfires. That was four years ago.

Then he was walloped by Ryan Wilson of the Colorado Avalanche on Nov. 26.

“Throughout the year, it had been bugging me,” said Hall, who hasn’t played since March 16. “It’s come to the point now where I have to have surgery. When I injured it (in the Colorado game), I knew I was going to have surgery at the end of the year. That’s the way it works.

“To be honest, I’ve been playing with a pretty bad shoulder for a lot of this year. I’m excited to see what I can do when I have a new one.”

Hall will have the labrum repaired — a surgical procedure that both veterans Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky have undergone in the past.

“It’s not the way I envisioned my NHL career starting, but I hope from here on I can play as many games as I can and be a good Oiler for a long time,” he said.

Didn’t all the Hemskovites say that Hemmer’s shoulders are supposed to be better than new as a result of surgery? (Of course they didn’t mention that Hemsky and Horcoff would mysteriously forget how to play hockey afterwards).

If so, not a big worry longterm.

19. cabbiesmacker says:

I vote we time travel back to 2010 and select Tyler instead.

In all seriousness I had mentioned earlier this year that my cousin had scouted Taylor in junior and mentioned his propensity to avoid checks by ducking “underneath” them. Said he would not be able to do that in the bigs.

I know the kid lost his footing prior to the Sarich hit but I’m positive he saw it coming first and was in the process of doing exactly the above. Hope that hit wasn’t a contributor to the shoulder issue.

Tremendous talent that I really hope stays alive long enough to show it all.

20. nathan says:

It’s been mentioned before, but he’s not too old to adjust. (Cabbie, He might not have ducked conciously, but the slip may have been connected to some sort of reflex when his peripheral vision picked up Sarich).

“For the first two years, a long series of injuries prevented him from playing. Despite this, he was recruited by the Montreal Canadiens in 1942: his dream had come true. In his first game, after assisting with a goal, he broke a bone and ended his season. People in hockey circles were starting to ask if Maurice Richard was too fragile to play professional hockey. Stung, he came back the following year with a rush and helped his team win the Stanley Cup. It was the start of a legend. Richard played 18 years in the NHL”

21. oilersfan says:

Didn’t Seguin have some sort of hereditary hip defect?

If anyone remembers the issue and the details please remind me.

I realize I don’t follow every player in the NHL but the only labrum repairs I know of were souray, horcoff, vishnovsky, hemsky , now Hall. The only non Oilers I can think of were Lecavalier, Tanguay and Kessel, maybe also Hossa although I think that was a torn rotator cuff. So why do the Oilers hvae 5 players in 5 years miss half a season »or this but I can only think of three others in the whole league? Bizarre.

Not sure how many of you are esks fans but Ricky Ray had a torn labrum, and he definitely recovered fully.

My memory tells me this is more like 8-9 nonths to heal properly. Horcoff had his after the all star break and he wasn’t right for months after. Same with Hemsky this year.

Maybe we should all cheer for a two month lockout…

22. hags9k says:

Or maybe it’s time to think about building around Jordan Eberle. I think Hall will be back at 100% and we might even get a discount on the contract. There is still time for him to adapt his style to avoid some of the half dozen train wrecks/gm that he currently gets into. If he can’t rein it in a bit and/or get a bit bigger and stronger, than we certainly have reason for concern. Time will tell but for the love of all that’s good and sacred let’s not start talking trade this soon.

23. nathan says:

hags9k,

Eberle’s agent will love the fact that RNH’s shoulder injuries/60 is greater than Hall’s.

But I’m not signing any of the three amigos or trading any of them in the next little while. Lots of time to watch shoulders and shooting percentages.

24. oilersfan says:

With all the players listed above the only two not quite the same after were Horcoff and Lecalier. Hemsky was great after his first shoulder operation season. I noticed Tanguay and Kessel played much better the season after the first recovery year. Souray was fantastic the year after his shoulder surgery.

So my point is this shoulder shouldn’t be perceived to be a bad thing long term, although it may hurt him next year as he will just be getting healthy when the season starts so who knows how that will affect his summer training, other than poorly.

I am more worried about the concussion longer term.

25. nathan says:

oilersfan,

Not to worry. DSF will soon be by to remind us that Alex Burrows had labrum surgery.

And think how fragile tiny Chara must be to need that surgery. Perhaps it ‘s like Tommy John and added to his slapshot record.

26. LMHF#1 says:

We’re already building around Eberle. I hope none of the 3 need to be moved, but if 1 of them does, I’d bet on it being Hall.

27. DSF says:

nathan,

Now that you mention it.

Burrows went from 35G 67P pre-surgery to 26G 48P the following season.

He missed the first ten games of the season following his surgery.

However, he had his surgery in June so you would think Hall should be ahead of that recovery period.

28. oilersfan says:

Ricky ray tore the labrum on his throwing shoulder in september 2007. He had an excellent year in 2008 but in june his shoulder was still sore a full 8 months after the surgery…

Souray had an excellent year the year after but he missed 9 months as well.

Its these 9 month windows where sure they skate but not sure how much time they spend in the summer handling the puck, shootig etc.

I bet he misses all the exhibition games

29. tidalwave says:

TRADE HIM TRADE HIM TRADE HIM TRADE HIM

It’s plain and simple. Hall for Hamonic and a draft pick.

30. steveb12344 says:

Hall is a beast! He is absolutely as driven as any athlete anywhere. I think he is one of those special talents that just won’t stop until he receives the Conn Smythe, just before lifting the cup over his head with a C on his chest. Then he likes that so much that he is even more hell-bent to do it again. That’s what champions are made of!

He is just barely 20. He will bounce back from this. Don’t be surprised if he puts some bulk on over the next couple years, and starts more frequently becoming the hammer, instead of the nail.

After him saying how it will be nice to get passes from RNH for a few years at last years draft. He’s more recently mentioned on at least 2 occasions that i’ve heard (including yesterday’s) being an oiler for a long time.

You NEVER think about trading this player!!

Steve: Disagree. As I said, love Taylor Hall. Seriously. But you can’t sign him to a long, long term deal at major dollars this summer. That would be extremely unwise.

32. wylie27 says:

Would take Hall with one good shoulder over Hemmer any day Steveb is right – machine. He brings a level of intensity second to none. He will be the one the rest follow because of it. Even if he only plays for 10 -12 years it will be worth it.

33. gd says:

steveb12344,

Completely agree, and I think the fact he didn’t just shut her down in January will pay dividends for him as a leader in the dressing room in the future.

Seriously? LEADER IN THE DRESSING ROOM? Seriously?

35. gd says:

LT,

I think the injury means it is in both the Oilers and Taylor’s sides interest to hold off on any extension talks until he is back healthy plus it allows them to wait until the new CBA is signed. It is in the Oilers best interest to be as supportive and patient with the recovery, as that can hopefully buy some goodwill.

You look at this Dechene/Avs issue, and if that escalates and they have to trade him for 75 cents on the dollar and their rebuild could be permanently impaired.

gd:

LT,

I agree with every word of that. But I’m also drafting a forward.

37. Oilcan says:

Not to be the naive Oiler fan but Hall’s ankle injury was a complete fluke last year, and Potter stepping on his head was too. The concussion he just suffered could be argued either way but he was getting rocked either way and has so it was matter of time before he got a concussion. The shoulder injury in my opinion is his only legit hockey injury that if it continues to occur would warrant an injury prone label.

38. russ99 says:

“To be honest, I’ve been playing with a pretty bad shoulder for a lot of this year.”

I really hope the local press isn’t so bought off that the logical question “why” gets asked. And if a candid response to that doesn’t get Renney and/or Tambellini fired, then nothing will.

Not the types of games you should be playing with your “franchise player”…

39. DSF says:

Poof!

40. Alice says:

Steve didn’t suggest opening the bank this summer, he said you don’t trade this player. If injuries limit his value in the end hopefully you’re wise enough to keep the dollars in sync with that.

But I’ll die the day he comes in here with another jersey on.
    No thanks. You have to cheer for something.

41. gd says:

I believe I agree with you on drafting the forward. I’m really hoping Galnychuk has a great playoff run that shows he is fully recovered.

42. gogliano says:

Isn’t it reasonable to assume that Hall will heal up a little quicker than the old timers with the same injury/surgery?

In any event, I think he is too young to worry yet but injury issues are now on the radar. But he is also too good to trade; even a small chance he becomes who he can be is enough to hold on to him. Unless you can get a Lindros-esque haul, I guess, but if you’re dealing a player like Hall there will be a question “why?” and that is sufficient to lower his trade value (in Lindros’ case, it was clear and Philly could know they weren’t getting damaged goods).

43. steveb12344 says:

Well, i am not really trying to disagree, or discredit anything you are saying there L.T.

You are right to be concerned about this. Especially regarding the next contract.

I mean i don’t know any more than anyone else, what’s going to happen.

Allthough i just see that as being a tell, that he is no longer referring to his time as an oiler just being for a few years till his contract is up. Now it is all about being an oiler for a long time.

I really think the plan is already in place for him and Eberle, and they know it.

Now this is where maybe it is just wishful thinking. But i am really hoping that 4, and 14 are willing to sign to reasonable contracts, maybe a little into thier UFA years but i don’t know about anything crazy like 10- 15 years. (Actually i think those crazy long-term contracts are going to start becoming more a thing of the past as anybody can see that they mostly don’t work out.) And while above average, maybe not Ovechkin,Nash-like reach for the moon money. Like 5.5-6ish.

This would accomplish 2 things for these players: Setting a salary structure within the club that would keep everybody within that range. Something like what the Sedins did in van so that the team is albe to add other quality players to complement the core, without being handcuffed by the cap.

Also allowing them to grow together and play together for a long time. Knowing that this is very soon going to be thier team to try to bring back to the promised land.

I know that sounds like unbridled optimism, but these really are quality people and i suspect winning the cup, and doing it together are probably just a little more important to them than just being the highest paid players in the league….

44. OilLeak says:

Hall won’t be playing in the league at 25 at this rate. Hall is 20, and has already piled on some significant injuries; What happens his body accumulates scar tissue, worn down joints and a slower recovery process as he ages? He’ll have to shut it down… for a while. Let’s hope he uses his recovery time to bulk up a little and build some strength in his ropy body.

Hall is too small to play the type of game he’s playing right now, he needs to spend some time in the off season with Stamkos and Roberts; their diet and regime is impeccable.

45. Traktor says:

He’s no Pouliot but Brodziak just scored his 20th.

Steve: I agree that they probably have already made plans for Hall and Eberle. And I do think it’s long term. I love their futures but can see an announcement this summer that signs them to a long term deal at big dollars.

I’m not suggesting trading Taylor Hall. I’m suggesting we discuss where he might land as part of the future based on his injuries since 2010 fall (and apparently before).

Traktor:
    He’s no Pouliot but Brodziak just scored his 20th.

Love Brodziak, still don’t know why they traded him.

48. SteadyEd says:

Based on size- these are the forwards in the top 40 (March ISS) that I would consider. I think that we have enough depth on D. Moreover, when the time comes we can supplement the back-end via trade or signing.
    Guance is interesting. Apparently he fights a little bit too.

2. MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO RW 6’3 200 L May 16/94 Quebec QMJHL
    28. ANTON SLEPYSHEV LW 6’2 187 R May 13/94 Novokuznetsk KHL
    36. THOMAS WILSON RW 6’3 203 R Mar. 29/94 Plymouth OHL
    37. EMIL LUNDBERG LW 6’3 198 L Sept. 17/93 Sodertalje SweAl
    40. BRANDEN TROOCK RW 6’2 174 R Mar. 20/94 Seattle WHL

49. jake70 says:

A recent post of mine…

“”This is the exact reason I am leaning toward one of the russians, more specifically, a forward, as some injury insurance for the two #1s (that hit on Hall by Sarich was not pretty) and PRV, who may not find a scoring touch. Grigorenko won the Michel Bergeron trophy for top offensive rookie in the Q this year, and this article talking about his transition to North American hockey and life (takes english classes 5 times a week, sign Omark up…)……6’3″ and 200pound at 17 is welcomed also””

As I type this I am hoping Montreal beats the Panthers in OT….damn Pacioretty almost finished it…..what is all these teams collapsing so late….don’t they know the bottom of the standings is Oil country??

Anyway, not a good situation with young Hall. When does 93 hurt his shoulder again? Nervous times.

50. Traktor says:

Lowetide: Love Brodziak, still don’t know why they traded him.

Probably because MacTavish told Tambellini he couldn’t play.

If you recall MacTavish singled out Penner, Brodziak and one other player (i forget) near the end of the season and I’m sure MacTavish didn’t give a glowing review that suggested signing him was a good idea.

Traktor: Probably because MacTavish told Tambellini he couldn’t play.

52. jake70 says:

Mtl and florida in shootout…..biting nails here… ;)

53. jake70 says:

Montreal with the point…….Oil back in 29 with a game in hand.

54. steveb12344 says:

I pretty much watched Wendyl Clarke’s entire career, and i can see why the concern, and really hope his career doesn’t follow that path.

I wonder though. Are you basing this on the injuries that he has had thus far. Or more on the potential for more based on his style of play?

As far as the injuries thus far, i am not sold that there is anything so far that will affect him much in the future. The ankle im sure will be fine. Don’t think the scar on his face will be a problem. People in the know seem to think the shoulder can be repaired, and be as strong as ever moving forward. And i don’t think the cuncussion would have been a problem at all if this team was fighting for the playoffs.

Now if the concern is for the future, then i think it is safe to say that he will not be the same skinny teenager we’ve seen till now for long. He is smart and as i said before, very driven.

It is not unreasonable to expect him to eventually add 15- 20 pounds, learn to play a little smarter, and start coming out on the better end of these collisions. Also with the way he plays i suspect a bigger, smarter, older Hall would start to get a little more respect, and room for himself out there.

I guess for me it would be the latter because he will probably always put himself in positions for freak injuries to happen.

I just still don’t think i would wan’t to see this guy in any other jersey whether he gets Wendyl’ed or not.

Also i think Him and Eberle being best friends, and i’m sure want to play together as long as they can. Can only work in the teams favour when it comes to future contracts. Hopefully Nuge turns out to be the third pea in the pod!

55. SteadyEd says:

There isn’t enough room for another 1A contract. Eberle, RNH and Hall will be the big 3. This year our pick is currency. I think that we’re in the asset management phase right now. Maybe a pick&trade? Tambi will need stones at the draft.

56. Ryan says:

Fair question… I think?

Would Hallsy be concussed and headed for shoulder surgery if he had been drafted by Boston instead?

Playing with Chara and Lucic?

57. gd says:

If the Oilers were in the Southeast this year, I’m pretty sure they would be in 1st place.

58. Denniss says:

- can you imagine the state the Oil forward corps would be in had they not re-upped 83? Dear Christ. Then again you don’t know what Lowe could have done with the 2nd and 4th rounders that Nsh were offering.

- Stauffer tweeted that 4 had first hurt this shoulder in the U17 worlds all those years ago. Chances are the Oilers knew this when they took him over Seguin

- not sure if it’s time to cut bait on him but I will be sure the next time he suffers a major injury.

- amazing that the kid played so well on one shoulder

- this probably saves 89 and it puts the oil behind once again because A: he’s not likely to have a great season in 2013 and B: they had to move some hitting for pitching and now they are less likely to do that with one of their big bats on the mend

Dennis: Yeah, I’d agree with all of that. One would guess Klefbom is the “Ryan Murray” addition and they select the Russian or the Swede F.

60. SteadyEd says:

Is Forsberg big enough?

61. Traktor says:

Minnesota lose again.

Over 14 games Gilbert has 2 points, -6

11 points, -35 over 82 games.

62. jake70 says:

Dennis, I doubt they knew of Hall’s injury because if they did, it would have been discussed somewhere in an Oil Change episode right? Lol.

63. SteadyEd says:

Yes on both counts. Hall needed to learn these lessons.
    The one thing that has crossed my mind however, is whether or not the concussion is a result of him avoiding shoulder contact.

Ryan:
    Fair question… I think?

Playing with Chara and Lucic?

64. sliderule says:

Halls shoulder will be Ok.What has to concern is his propensity to not look out for the big hit.

This is Hall problem and he has to deal with it or have a short career.

Is our coaching helping?I think not.When Boll ran at RNH nothing happened.Eager who was on ice did nothing If you have a coach who knows what he is doing make him pay.

Hordichuk said he asked Boll to go but he wouldn’t.How many times have we heard that.We are in 29 th place ,who cares if we get the extra two.

A dcent coach would chew them out to the point they would never never do that again

65. SteadyEd says:

The way things are going I can see us finishing ahead of Montreal, Columbus, Minnesota and Toronto. On the last day we might pass the Ducks too. I think picking 6th is more than possible.

66. DSF says:

1) Columbus – 55 – 6GR

2) Edmonton – 71 – 6GR

3) Montreal – 72 – 5GR

4) Minnesota – 72 – 6GR

5) Toronto – 75 – 5GR

6) Islanders – 75 – 6GR

7) Anaheim – 75 – 6GR

8) Carolina – 77 – 5GR

9) Tampa Bay – 77 – 6GR

10) Winnipeg – 78 – 6GR

Random smilie face inserted by WordPress

67. delooper says:

I think back then the management was really pushing for “team toughness”. If Brodziak threw more checks and got into more fights, they probably would have kept him. I didn’t like the trade then, and in hindsight it looks absolutely idiotic. But I’m pretty sure that’s what must have been going on in the management’s eyes. They wanted more Mike Grier kind of players, and I think they thought they grew on trees.

68. gd says:

The Oil are “pot committed” to Hall & RNH. There is no turning back on the drafts and there is no trade available that gets us anything close to his potential. If he has significantly more major injuries then go to some Portland Trail Blazers fan sites, as that is our future.

69. Denniss says:

LT: you’re a bright guy so i believe that you believe my views;)

70. Ducey says:

DSF:
    Poof!

Uh oh. I think DSF was exposed to sunlight.

71. DSF says:

Ducey: Uh oh.I think DSF was exposed to sunlight.

Just basking in the glow of Traktor.

Although I am wondering why so many folks here were turgid over the Oilers signing Horcoff to an extension while he was recovering from a shoulder injury a year and a half before he needed a new contract but are preaching patience on Hall.

Sign the man!

72. Gret99zky says:

precautionary.

Why take the chance?

73. delooper says:

I imagine all this sitting-around watching his team play is going to wear thin on Hall pretty soon and he’ll start to be a wee bit more careful with his organs. At some point I started getting tired of breaking bones and tearing ligaments, and said to myself “self, that’s enough of that!”

74. oilersfan says:

Whoever commented on Hall wouldn’t be injured if he played for the Bruins with Lucic and Chara…Nathan Horton out for the season with a concussion.

Big guys get injured too.

Howcome Iginla never does?

In his draft year many compared Hall to a cross between Pavel Bure and Iginla. When it comes to being injured a lot, he is looking more like Bure.

75. delooper says:

Iginla is built like a granite rock, and he doesn’t put himself in very vulnerable positions. Hall is still some ways from being built like granite, and like Bure he puts himself way out there.

76. SteadyEd says:

Guance, Reinhardt, Wilson. My three targets for this years draft. It’s time to plug some holes.

77. Bos8 says:

Faksa – third in the OHL in skating, very good defensively according to boards. Good size.

Gaunce is raising questions about his offense.

78. Lewis Grant says:

Before the season started, didn’t you say something to the effect of “This is Taylor Hall’s team now”?

Lewis Grant:

Yes I did. Meant it too.

80. oilersfan says:

Grigorenko with 3 more assists tonight, now 1+6+7 in 3 games.

Apparently the Drummondville team they are killing 9-3 every night is pretty bad.

Grigorenko got all 3 assists tonight on the PP, and was even for his +-

Hard to read anything into this, being that it was a blowout.

I would really like to know if he is really lazy or just appears lazy like so many said about Penner here. Also wonder what it has to do with his high ankle sprain which usually take 6-10 weeks to recover from and he was playing on it (thus not letting it heal) after 3 weeks so it may still be a factor in what appears to be laziness.

He ha 1.6 ppg before the WJC and only 1.3 after. So far 2.33 in the playoffs but again, against poor competition.

One thing I like about him is the 40 goals in 59 games. Willis’ write up on him today at the COH showed him to be an above average but not excellent prospect based on some math he developed.

81. bookje says:

Ryan:
    Fair question… I think?

Playing with Chara and Lucic?

I just phoned my psychic and apparently had Hall of been drafted by Boston, on his way down to Training camp from Ontario, a drunk farmer would have crossed over the centre line in his combine crashing into Hall’s car killing him instantly.

Thank goodness the Oilers drafted him instead.

82. bookje says:

Lowetide: I remember them going on about Brodziak’s lack of grit, which was absolutely nuts.

I think its Tambellini’s worst trade.

83. Bos8 says:

The thing is – every rating you read these players are all over the place. It’s a crap shoot from three to about 15.

84. Chamucks says:

This thread is a shit show. He’s 20 years old. He’ll heal.
    Everyone’s spazzing over Hall getting his shoulder fixed but in the same breath were
    agreeing to pay Hemsky for 6 years if it was necessary.
    “But he plays with abandon”.
    Isn’t the deal with Hemsky that he gets hurt because he goes into the “tough areas”?
    Long, long, long time devout reader. Seldom commenter. This shit has regressed for months
    as the losses piled up. Take a breather or something.

85. Scott Reynolds says:

Traktor,

-35 and 11 points over 82 games obviously isn’t very good, but when the team only scores 117 goals and finishes the year at -152, it’s a wee bit more understandable. The joy of 14-game samples.

86. cabbiesmacker says:

nathan:

Yeppers. Thats exactly how I saw it happen too. He sees Sarich, or senses him, at the last possible second and first impulse is to bail low.

87. cabbiesmacker says:

SteadyEd,

If you want to know all about injuries, past and future, taking Troock would certainly be an education.

No.. NO. NO

88. cabbiesmacker says:

steveb12344:
    Hopefully Nuge turns out to be the third pea in the pod!

Don’t kid yourself. RNH is going to end up being the biggest pea in the pod by a pretty decent margin from what we’ve witnessed this year. It’s fine to love Hall for being the type of player he is but if he’s going to be starring on popcorn row hes not contributing.

Never, Never, Never trade him?? Really? Nevers a long time and every hockey fan in Edmonton should have pretty fresh memories of who can and can’t be. With two other seeming phenoms already in our top 6 it means you can deal for pressing needs if we have to. I’m not saying we should, just that it’s pretty silly to say we shouldn’t without knowing what the return might be. Seemed to work out ok for the Nordiques.

89. cabbiesmacker says:

Ryan:
    Fair question… I think?
    Playing with Chara and Lucic?

Ask Nathan Horton??

90. stevezie says:

Denniss,

I’d gues it means Garrison or Wideman is in for an even nicer payday this summer, if only because we drive the bidding up. We need that pitching by hook or by crook, so if trading hitting is out of the question that means money.

91. steveb12344 says:

cabbiesmacker,

What i meant with that RNH comment, was that he as well as my hope for Hall and Eberle, is that they all sign for a slightly reduced amount so as not to handcuff the teams salary-cap. Thus giving the team the ability to still build around them with quality. Giving them a better chance to stay together and raise Stanley together.

This is why i think there is no way the team goes after Suter or anyone else with extremely high contract demands.The only way it works that way for the kids is if they are the highest paid players on the team, and set the ceiling for the rest.

Obviously i can see that RNH will be the most skilled of the 3. While Eberle has the brilliant hockey mind, and sick hands. Hall will be the engine that drives this team.

I have watched almost every game of his young career, and i have a hard time thinking of him taking a shift off, never mind a game. He just absolutely brings it every time he touches the ice. I mean remember him trying to block a shot with an empty net in a game they were being blown out in. Right after coming back from having his face stepped on!

Make no mistake, Hall will grow up and this will be his team. I think that will be the turning point for this team becoming a contender. Unfortunately i don’t think he will be ready to make that leap for a little while yet,

In my experience of watching sports for over 30 years now, the Taylor Hall’s of the world are just to driven to be denied. When he does reach his ultimate goal, i just don’t want to picture it with anything other than an oildrop on his jersey.

92. regwald says:

jake70: jake

I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but if you go back to the draft combine, Hall took part in a limited capacity and did not do any exercises that required use of his shoulders. He had just come off his 2nd Memorial Cup run and was banged up.

Sequin’s team was eliminated early in the playoffs and came in and kicked butt because he hit the gym hard right after the playoffs.

I would be surprised if the Oilers didn’t know that he had a shoulder injury. The exact extent of the injury may not have been know, but it was obvious he had a shoulder problem then.

93. vishcosity says:

bookje: I think its Tambellini’s worst trade.

Along with Reasoner and Stoll, dealing Brodziak unloaded everyone but Horc at C. KLo wanted a difference maker (Vanek, Hossa…) and drafting top 3 was the only chance he recognized. Trading all the centres from that team was probably the best stunt this org has ever pulled.

94. nathan says:

It’s still Hall’s team (if only in the sense that it was Messier’s team at cup time). Wonder if moving Hall to centre would lengthen his career?

It’s not quite Leonard McCoy yet ( “damn barbarians! They used to Cut you up like a piece-a-meat!), but treatment is light years beyond what Hall’s agent got back in the day. 20/20 we can see Hall lost his running battle to strengthen that shoulder (no wonder he couldn’t use it at the combine after the wear and tear of the cup run). His shoulder should be better after the surgery than he was when he won those Memorial cups.

Don’t think that shoulder is the real concern unless you were contemplating one of those ultra long contracts. But I would not sign all 3 or even 1 of these guys ultra long. Would prefer to see a package approach to the core.

More concerned about the concussion and where he falls next. Hope the concussion is a wake up call. Would also like to see him apply that tenacity to doing some of the balance drills that Crosby did:

“O’Brien happened to be moving to Halifax, so the year Crosby turned 14, he was on hand to oversee the youngster’s daily workouts at the St. Mary’s University athletic centre. The pair spent hours working on Crosby’s posture, using exercises unlike anything hockey players did at the time: the teenager would jump, skip, sprint, duck under hurdles, even do somersaults on mats while O’Brien studied his movements – all with a view to correcting mechanical flaws in his hip extension or coordinating the angles of his knees and ankles. Then came exercises aimed at building balance and stability. Crosby would teeter, see-saw style, on a piece of plywood balanced on a length of pipe while O’Brien surveyed his movements. “I’d hit him with all the force I could to try to knock him off,” recalls O’Brien, “or I’d throw a medicine ball at him. As he became more efficient, we tried to create inefficiency in his environment so he could continue to progress.”

95. nathan says:

bookje,

If Tambi gets an extension he could always trump that trade by trading Hall.

96. nathan says:

If they do go for a D,how about Dumba? ; )

97. Denniss says:

Stevie: that’s not a bad guess

98. nathan says:

“When he does reach his ultimate goal, i just don’t want to picture it with anything other than an oildrop on his jersey.”

steveb12344,

Why is Karma telling me that Tambi trades Hall to the Jackets? And Hall does so well that LT writes off the Oilers for real and ends up cheering for the Stanley Cup Jackets with Conn Smyth Hall.

99. Truth says:

Hall as a trade asset? Way over the top.

Hall is the type of player a coach/GM/franchise loves to have. Balls to the wall hockey all the time. He was out last year due to what could only be classified as a freak injury, and has only since been injured due to re-aggravating an injured shoulder that occured in JUNIOR (not counting the even more freakish skate to head injury). So the real question would be if he is injury prone or tough as nails. Injury prone as in two freak injuries and one injury that has been aggrevated once in two years of NHL hockey. Or tough as nails as in he has been playing since junior on one bummed shoulder, and not even that he’s been playing but playing what could only be classified as Taylor Hall style hockey.

To me, the biggest negative in this situation is Hall being too much of what Done Cherry would classify as a “good Canadian kid” and has sucked up the shoulder injury for 4 years without a complaint, whereas he should have repaired it in the off-season 3.5 years ago.

To trade a player like that is absolute nonsense. If I’m the GM on the other end of the phone I’m buying right now. Heck maybe I’ll give you a proven dynamo like Alex Semin.

100. loosemoose says:

Hall + Whitney + 2012 2nd round pick to the Jets for Kane + Bogosian + 2012 1st round pick.