Oilers sign Bunz

The Edmonton Oilers have signed goaltender Tyler Bunz to his entry level contract. Bunz .921SP was the 2nd best total in the entire WHL and his 2.57 GAA was good for 5th in the junior league. Bunz was a 5th rd pick in 2010 and joins fellow 2010 Oiler picks Taylor Hall, Martin Marincn, Tyler Pitlick, Curtis Hamilton and Ryan Martindale as players with signed pro contracts.

Still to come from that deep draft: Jeremie Blain, Brandon Davidson, Drew Czerwonka, Kristians Pelss and Kellen Jones.

• Jeremie Blain had a huge season in the QMJHL this year, I can’t see a logical scenario that sees him unsigned this spring.
  • Brandon Davidson can’t go back to junior and I believe the Oilers will either sign him or set him free. Based on his WHL season, it would seem to be a no-brainer signing, but there are so many blueline kids eligible to turn pro this spring.
  • Czerwonka has played over 240 WHL games (including playoffs) and I would guess they’ll sign him or set him free this spring. Signing him would seem like the most likely scenario.
  • Pelss has enjoyed a major uptick season with the Edmonton Oil Kings. The Oilers could keep him around for another season of junior.
  • Jones still has 2 seasons of eligibility in the NCAA and it might make sense for him to stay at lease one more year.

The blue is going to be something to watch, what with Kyle Bigos in Merrimack (he can sign now, his season is over) and 2011 picks Oscar Klefbom, David Gernat and David Musil also waiting in line and eligible to be signed this summer.

My guess? Oilers sign Davidson and Blain, turn them pro with the already signed Marincin. They sign Klefbom and send him back to the SEL, sign Gernat and Musil while sending both back to junior and Bigos plays his senior year in the NCAA.

The ball starts rolling with the Bunz signing. Plenty of news to come this spring.

Back to Bunz. I think he’s the best goaltending prospect in the system, and despite concussion problems the arrows are heading in a very good direction. The Oilers will probably send him to Stockton but this guy is the best prospect to come down the pipe in years–better than Roy, better than Deslauriers, better than Dubnyk.

52 Responses to "Oilers sign Bunz"

1. regwald says:

Even with all the chatter from Klefbom wanting to come to N/A, you still think they will send him back to the SEL ?

LT,

if Bigios goes back to the NCAA, then he’s essentially a UFA next year. Oilers love big trees and apparently he can skate. Why would they set him free?

Pelss is getting a lot of good reviews lately. I’ve heard him called “the fastest skater in the WHL” and possessing a “heavy, NHL caliber shot”.

Might be a real sleeper pick there.

I don’t see Klefbom going back to the SEL unless they want to make room for another later round Dman, but Klefbom is the #1 D prospect (even with the organization love of Musil). I can’t see them sending him back next year.

3. oilersfan says:

with all the people that need to be signed to NHL contracts this year, how many are they going to have to let go to stay under 50?

If they add Marincin (I know he signed last year but he didn’t count as he went back to jr), Davidson, Blain, Bigos, Pells, Klefbom, Bunz, Czerwonka.

I think if it were me, I would get Klefbom to sign but stay in Sweden so he doesn’t count, leave Pells to stay as a 20 yr old in the W, maybe Czerwonka too. With Bunz signed they can promote Roy and let go of Leneveu. That leaves new numbers for Davidson, Blain, Bigos and Czerwonka.

Motin and Rajala are already gone. So they need to free up 2-3 more spots. I wonder if undrafted players like House, Tremblay or Arcebello don’t get signed. Or maybe they let go of Chorney or Plante, or convince on of those guys to take an AHL only contract for big AHL bucks.

4. Ducey says:

Hopefully Bunz has as good a first year in pro as Roy has had – Roy has a .928 save % which is 3rd best in the ECHL and best among rookies. He has also had 3 good games for OKL.

I’d be surprised if they signed Czerwonka. The have a lot of pressure on their 50 man roster and he has yet to beak a ppg.

5. oilersfan says:

ducey, Czerwonka is the captain of the team that won the WHL champs last year and can fight. He is the kind of 4th liner we wall want, a guy who can fight and play. I think they sign him unless they send him back as a 20 year old.

6. Dipstick says:

oilersfan,

Who will they let go to make room on the 50? As far as D-Men, Rodney and Barker would be the most obvious. Maybe they trade a signed prospect or Peckham as well.

7. spoiler says:

I can’t see how there’s any way that Klefbom gets sent back next year either.

Bigos is a tough call. I think they were expecting a little more from him this year, but all they have to offer him is the ECHL (from what I can see) and I don’t know if he’d leave the NCAA for the E. I suppose I can call the nephew and follow up on that if you like.

I think Bunz should be at a higher level than the E myself, but Roy poses a problem.

Canucks love Merrimack’s goaler btw. He was their Hobey candidate.

8. oilersfan says:

Dipstick

Thanks, I forgot about Barker but I assume the Oilers will try to find an actual NHL player to take his roster spot. As for Rodney, I’m not sure they will let him go as they had high praise for him the day they traded O’Marra for him although I hear he isn’t very good in his own zone. I still wonder about all the college free agents they signed for the AHL. I mean Arcobello , House and Tremblay I doubt ever play at the NHL level so why not see which of them will sign AHL only deals for extra AHL money? I didn’t understand why any of them were given NHL contracts when they only have an injury replacement two week stint as the best upside.

9. Dan the Man says:

No one is more excited about the Bunz signing than Gene Principe.

10. Captain Obvious says:

I don’t see the 50 man roster as a big problem. From the big club Omark, Hordichuk, Barker and Peckham are all gone for sure and they certainly won’t all be replaced by free agents.

In terms of the other contracts there are lots of guys that can be let go without a fuss. A preliminary list would be Keller, Green, Danis, Rajala, Kytnar, Abney, and Motin. And that’s not counting guys like Chorney that they have already let go and Rodney who is basically nothing.

Plus they have one open contract right now (counting Marincin against the 50).

There are eight guys named in this article. If they sign them all + the first pick (Grigorenko) makes the team they’ll need room to add eight contracts. Omark and Peckham get traded for picks, Hordichuk and Barker aren’t resigned. They are replaced by Lander and Paajarvi and two new D. That frees up two contracts.

Drop another six AHL ECHL guys, which should be easy, and away you go.

Captain Obvious:
    I don’t see the 50 man roster as a big problem.From the big club Omark, Hordichuk, Barker and Peckham are all gone for sure and they certainly won’t all be replaced by free agents.

In terms of the other contracts there are lots of guys that can be let go without a fuss.A preliminary list would be Keller, Green, Danis, Rajala, Kytnar, Abney, and Motin.And that’s not counting guys like Chorney that they have already let go and Rodney who is basically nothing.

Plus they have one open contract right now (counting Marincin against the 50).

There are eight guys named in this article.If they sign them all + the first pick (Grigorenko) makes the team they’ll need room to add eight contracts.Omark and Peckham get traded for picks, Hordichuk and Barker aren’t resigned.They are replaced by Lander and Paajarvi and two new D.That frees up two contracts.

Drop another six AHL ECHL guys, which should be easy, and away you go.

I know that C&B has them listed, but AFAIK Rajala and Motin are already gone with the players and club agreeing to dissolve the contracts.

I guess Plante (maybe) and Chorney are gone. Peckham’s rights will be traded. Barker is gone, Rodney too I guess.

There’s room.

The Oilers have 3 players in the ECHL on contract. Roy (who’s with OKC right now), Abney and Martindale.

They are all finishing their 1st year of ELC, so 2 years left unless they get traded.

12. JamesL says:

Have Bunz’s legal issues been resolved?

I agree with Scott on Czerwonka — the Oilers shouldn’t sign him: http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/1/25/2732143/great-is-thy-rejectedness

Note also that Czerwonka’s been injured for the past month: http://www.whl.ca/roster/gameByGame/id/650

13. Backhand says:

Capgeek has this team at 48 contracts right now.

Not including Bunz obviously.

14. Jordan says:

The Oilers have a lot of UFA/RFA players this year. Not counting players that they are definitely going to have to sign or replace (Smyth, Gagner, Petry Dubnyk), there are still another 14 players who may not be back with NHL contracts on the Oilers next year.

They are listed below, as is what I suspect may happen/be considered likely with each player, based on their contributions this year.

11 Barker, Cam » 2012 (RFA) release
    17 Peckham, Theo » 2012 (RFA) trade
    19 Petrell, Lennart » 2012 (UFA) re-sign?
    20 Omark, Linus » 2012 (RFA) trade
    22 Hordichuk, Darcy » 2012 (UFA) re-sign
    Non-Roster
    26 Plante, Alex » 2012 (RFA) AHL/Trade
    34 Vande Velde, Chris » 2012 (RFA) Re-Sign/AHL/Trade
    36 Chorney, Taylor » 2012 (RFA) AHL/Trade
    39 Danis, Yann » 2012 (UFA) Re-sign/AHL
    40 Keller, Ryan » 2012 (UFA) Re-Sign
    44 Green, Josh » 2012 (UFA) Re-sign/AHL
    46 Tremblay, Hunter » 2012 (RFA) AHL/Trade
    47 Kytnar, Milan » 2012 (RFA) release
    48 Rodney, Bryan » 2012 (UFA) AHL/Release

There’s a ton of options to create spots on the 50-man roster. Making space on it doesn’t look like it should be a concern.

Then again, considering what shouldn’t have been a concern for the last 6 years, and what has ended up being a concern… maybe many of you are right to be bringing this up now…

Meh… back to my cheezies…

15. ironsight says:

wrt to Klefbom coming over, he’s finally getting some real playing time with Farjestad. Through four playoff games, he’s 2nd on the team among Dmen in TOI (averaging 20:45, including one OT game). If he keeps getting that icetime, is there a reason to rush him over next year?

16. Scott Reynolds says:

Woodguy,

Motin is as good as gone because his contract is up at the end of the year, but both he and Rajala still count because they are on loan to European teams; their contracts have not been dissolved.

As far as the decision-making process more generally, the club needs to make a contract decision on all of the 2010 draftees (with the exception of Kellen Jones) before this draft or they go back into the draft pool this year. Marincin’s contract didn’t count against the 50-man limit this year because of his age not because of his league, so you can’t hide a guy like Czerwonka or Pelss in the WHL. They can play there, but the contract still counts.

If the Oilers want to make room for a guy, they obviously can, but every guy you pick means not picking up someone else. I don’t think Lennart Petrell has worked out all that well, but I’d take a one-year commitment to a more mature European free agent like that over a three-year commitment to Drew Czerwonka who you hope will one day be capable of playing on an NHL fourth line.

17. "Steve Smith" says:

JamesL:
    Have Bunz’s legal issues been resolved?

His trial was adjourned March 5. I can’t remember until when, but it would normally be a matter of months, so I’m guessing that they have not.

Scott Reynolds,

Hi Scott,

I remember reading that in both Motin’s case the player and the organization agreed to terminate the contract.

Was I wrong?

Cap geek doesn’t list Motin, but does list Rajala and has the Oilers at 48 contracts.

Here’s Eric Roger’s piece from C&B that mentions the contract termination in the Motin situation.

The push will come along the blue imo. Unless Klefbom makes the team out of camp–and I don’t think we can say that’s likely–then imo they send him back for another year.

As I understand it, his contract will not count against the 50 man cap should they sign him and send him back. Can someone confirm?

Woodguy:
    Scott Reynolds,

Hi Scott,

Was I wrong?

iirc the same thing happened with Hrabal. I wanted so badly for Hrabal to make it so I could go to Rexall and scream GO PENCIL! because he’s so thin.

dammit! Still mad.

22. sliderule says:

The reason you bring Klefbom over is he is better than potter and Peckham.

He needs to play north American hockey whether in AHL or Oilers.

23. cabbiesmacker says:

JamesL:
    Have Bunz’s legal issues been resolved?

Charges of that type seldom go to trial on their first scheduled date James. His lawyer will be looking for errors made and precedent. It could stay out of court for a year or more.

24. Scott Reynolds says:

Woodguy,

I saw that reported, but you can’t terminate a contract unless the player passes through unconditional waivers, and to my knowledge, Motin never did that. Either way, he’s essentially out of the organization for the purposes of signing players for next season.

Klefbom’s situation depends on what the SEL and NHL have for a transfer agreement what with the current agreement coming to an end after this season, and of course, this whole discussion depends on what gets changed in the new CBA! But regardless, yes, according to the current rules the team can sign Klefbom and then send him to Sweden without having him count against the 50-man limit.

25. "Steve Smith" says:

cabbiesmacker: Charges of that type seldom go to trial on their first scheduled date James.

That’s actually not correct – I don’t have numbers,* but I would say that a majority of impaired charges that go to trial do go to trial on their first scheduled trial date. Lawyers certainly look for errors and get their case law in order, but they normally do that before the first trial date (in fact, whether they find any errors is generally the basis on which they decide whether to go to trial).

It is accurate, however, that Bunz’s trial didn’t proceed on its first trial date.

*Well, I do have numbers with respect to my own cases, which is a small sample size: of the five impaired cases that I have set down for trial, three proceeded as scheduled on the first date, one was adjourned and proceeded on the second date, and one technically proceeded on the first date, but the Crown called no evidence (so the trial lasted about forty-five seconds).

Scott, thanks for clarification.

27. cabbiesmacker says:

"Steve Smith",

In my experience, 100 or so cases, the majority were deferred at least once. The original date set by the police at the time of the charge often doesn’t give the defense enough time to work with the crowns evidence. A higher end client, and I’m sure Mr Bunz qualifies, will usually fight the charge even if given only a 30% chance of winning by his lawyer. The average cost here to do so is $5000 and thats chickenfeed for the have’s.

I Doubt very much Bunz hired a slouch and is having all avenues explored.

45 seconds was a nice break for that particular client.

28. "Steve Smith" says:

cabbiesmacker,

Well, hold on – there’s a difference between the first court appearance (where 0% of charges go to trial), and the first trial date (where I think that a majority of impaired charges go to trial, though I stand open to correction). March 5 was Bunz’s first trial date.

In what capacity did you have experience with “100 or so cases”? I ask only because you appear to have no idea what you’re talking about or, more generously, to be seriously removed from the current context in Alberta.

29. speeds says:

spoiler:

Their goalies were:

Holtby, age 20, 37GP, 0.917 sv%
    Neuvirth, age 21, 22 GP, 0.919
    Bacashua, age 27, 22GP 0.911
    Varlamov, age 21, 3 GP, 0.933

In the playoffs, it was 3 games for Holtby and 18 for Neuvirth

30. speeds says:

WRT to the D:

I think the Oilers will sign all of Blain, Bigos, and Davidson, and turn all 3 pro next year.

It seems like a log jam of players for next year, but I don’t know if it really is when you consider that 9 D have played 20+ games for OKC this year, and 6 other D have combined for 43 other GP. It just means sticking a couple guys in the ECHL for a month (or less) until injuries hit somewhere else higher up, at which point instead of signing guys on ATO’s to fill in at the AHL, you move your ECHL guys up and sign fill ins for the ECHL.

speeds: How many defensemen do you think they’ll have on the 50 man list this coming season? I can’t find a way to shoehorn all of them onto the 50 man list.

32. speeds says:

Just to illustrate:

NHL:

new guy
    Smid
    Petry
    Whitney
    Schultz
    Sutton
    Potter
    Peckham (or someone else via UFA or potentially a D if they draft one with their 2012 1st, or they only carry 7D)

AHL/ECHL:

Helmer
    Teubert
    Plante
    Yeo
    Chorney
    Marincin
    Fedun
    Blain
    Davidson
    Bigos
    Klefbom*

33. speeds says:

This lists the Oilers with 41 players for next year, including Bunz moves it to 42.

I think the Oilers should have no problems signing the guys I mentioned and fitting under the 20. Barker will be gone, but his spot will probably be spent on a new guy. It isn’t that hard to imagine they only offer VandeVelde and Kytnar AHL deals. That would open up 2 spots, leaving 8 or 9 spots open of which you might use 5 or 6 on incoming prospects and the others on vets.

34. speeds says:

They currently have 13, my list would have 17 (and assumes Yeo and Helmer on AHL only deals) including Klefbom, so if he doesn’t sign and/or signs but goes back to SWE, I think that would reduce them to 16. They are currently at 48 contracts, so they can add if necessary, it would just mean that you’d have to reduce your number of F’s on NHL/AHL deals, which IMO isn’t a big deal since any of the guys you’d be likely to recall are already on NHL/AHL deals for next year

That’s 19 defensemen, though. Isn’t that a lot of defensemen for NHL, AHL, ECHL? I’d also throw in Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart, imo the lottery pick gets 9 games in the fall. So, potentially 20 defensemen.

36. speeds says:

I would say it’s not as many as it sounds:

8 in the NHL, 8 in the AHL, 3 in the ECHL assuming everyone healthy, which I would guess to be unlikely even by the time training camp is done, nevermind 2 months into the season.

Carrying more young D in the AHL might well be a decent idea, basically cycling 5 players through 3 lineup spots, giving them each 48 games and a ton of practice ice/video work. They would be likely to get more than 48 games anyways, due to injury, or playing a bit in the ECHL.

I just wonder about the forwards. You need 14 twice which is 28 and then a couple for ECHL. So, say 30. 30 forwards and 20 defensemen and 5 goalies? Hmm.

38. speeds says:

This year the Oilers have had 12 D play in the NHL and 15 D play in the AHL, of which 4 are double counted and one of which you could argue is double counted if you want to note Gilbert being traded for Schultz, so that’s 22 guys that have either played in the NHL or AHL.

39. speeds says:

If you carry 8D in the NHL, you’d only be able to carry 13F, so that’s one spot. In G, you move from Danis/Roy on NHL/AHL deals to Roy/Bunz, and sign a guy like LeNeveu on an AHL deal.

It just means that you shift some of your AHL only deals from D to F.

How many AHL veteran deals is a team allowed per season?

41. speeds says:

Given that, I don’t think the Oilers would be really all that close to exceeding the veteran limit, they’ve got a lot of guys that will have less than the required amount of pro games for next season.

42. Bos8 says:

What I didn’t realize is that Klefbom is only two months older than Murray and a full two years younger than Ek Larsson. At that point there are strong arguments for his either staying in N America or returning to Sweden. The OIlers D is much more stable than it was at the start of the season but if Schulz is needed to compensate for Whitney than Klefbom would be better served in Sweden. Alson Klefbom didn’t start to dominate in Farjestad until after the WJ, so another year would give him more development time. Circumstances at TC would dictate the outcome..

43. gogliano says:

Murray’s DOB birth worries me a little. For a top prospect, he has a non-negligible age advantage on his draft class.

gogliano:
    Murray’s DOB birth worries me a little.For a top prospect, he has a non-negligible age advantage on his draft class.

Offensively? Murray’s splits are so interesting.

EV: 46, 6-6-12
    PP: 46, 2-16-18
    PK: 46, 1-0-1

Interesting numbers on a poor offensive team. Wish he’d been healthy all year.

45. spoiler says:

speeds: In 2009/10, Hershey was the best AHL team in the regular season, and won the Calder Cup.

Their goalies were:

Holtby, age 20, 37GP, 0.917 sv%
    Neuvirth, age 21, 22 GP, 0.919
    Bacashua, age 27,22GP 0.911
    Varlamov, age 21, 3 GP,0.933

In the playoffs, it was 3 games for Holtby and 18 for Neuvirth

Lol, true dat, but I don’t see the Oil going that road. Would be nice though.

46. spoiler says:

sliderule:
    The reason you bring Klefbom over is he is better than potter and Peckham.

He needs to play north American hockey whether in AHL or Oilers.

I don’t think anyone can say that yet, after all the kid hasn’t played an NHL game. However I agree from the standpoint that if he’s a year away–and I think he is–then I think the Oilers would much rather one of their top prospects spend that time on NHL-sized ice and playing an NHL game, with much more hands-on access by the NHL team.

I don’t think there’s much chance he plays another season in the SEL.

*Dons a James Earl Jones voice*

Come, LT. Commme to the Daark Siiide.

47. LMHF#1 says:

I sure hope they lift the contract limit in the next CBA. What an unnecessary pain.

While they’re at it, deal with the “clear day” nonsense and all the other minors-related goofiness.

48. Backhand says:

As for Bunz and his legal issues….according to this article the case was moved to Morinville and set for trial March 22.

49. cabbiesmacker says:

“Steve Smith”:
    cabbiesmacker,

Well, hold on – there’s a difference between the first court appearance (where 0% of charges go to trial), and the first trial date (where I think that a majority of impaired charges go to trial, though I stand open to correction).March 5 was Bunz’s first trial date.

In what capacity did you have experience with “100 or so cases”?I ask only because you appear to have no idea what you’re talking about or, more generously, to be seriously removed from the current context in Alberta.

James asked if Bunz’ legal issues had been resolved. I assumed he was referring to his (March 5?) court appearance date. I simply advised him that charges of this nature very seldom get resolved on “that” first date with the majority being deferred to a later date. Bunz might not appear in court for a year or more depending on how his lawyer plays the game.

Dispute that all you like but you really are just so much like this guy aren’t you?

50. bookje says:

cabbiesmacker:
    “Steve Smith”,

I Doubt very much Bunz hired a slouch and is having all avenues explored.

45 seconds was a nice break for that particular client.

How is it possible that you have 100 DUIs? I know that the law in Canada is much more lenient than I would like, but I would like to think that after 100 DUIs you would at least go to jail for a while.

51. PunjabiOil says:

Hope this point isn’t missed – I suspect Hemsky will return to form after a summer to fully work on his shoulder.

After an abbreviated training camp, he played just two games to open this campaign, then left the lineup for 11 games to let a damaged nerve in his right shoulder settle down.

“There’s 10 games left and I want to try to get better,” he said. “I am feeling stronger. I am feeling way better.

“I didn’t think it would be like that, to be honest. It’s still taking time for my nerve to heal. I have good days and I have bad days, but I do feel better and better.

“I’ve had chances (with the puck) but sometimes I just don’t feel strong. I’m working hard in the gym, doing physio, so it’s getting better. I’m not blaming anything on anybody. I just have to try to focus on my game.”

52. "Steve Smith" says:

cabbiesmacker: James asked if Bunz’ legal issues had been resolved. I assumed he was referring to his (March 5?)court appearance date.

I assumed the same. March 5 was a trial date, as you appeared to acknowledge when you stated that impaireds rarely go to trial on their first scheduled date.

Beware pseudonyms professing legal expertise…

No, I am not. You’re wrong.