Renney Gone?

Earlier today on Team 1260, Dustin Nielson reported that Tom Renney is out (after the season) as the Oilers head coach. Once one of the true prestige jobs in the entire NHL, coaching the Edmonton Oilers for the next 5 years could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Glen Sather had a strong run as coach of the Oilers and John Muckler was a big part of the group that helped the Boys On The Bus to 5 Stanley’s. Since then, the Oilers have had a “mixed bag” of coaches over the years. Craig MacTavish was my preference and I’d vote for him to return to the job if given the ballot.

The Oilers are running through coaching staffs at a pretty rapid clip now, that’s a sign of a poor organization. I imagine they’d like to add a “proven winner” but they’ve already hired a couple and it did not go well. Jonathan Willis is doing an excellent series on the candidates possibly available over at Cult of Hockey.

If Dustin Nielson’s source is true–and for Dustin to go public suggests it is a very good source–then Edmonton fans should expect a very fluid summer. What’s that old line? Expect the unexpected?

79 Responses to "Renney Gone?"

1. LMHF#1 says:

At this stage, I know who I don’t want as coach. Two of the most prominent names on that list would be MacTavish and Buchberger.

The clear question for me is, who is Glen Sather 2.0? Who can tap into the unique talents our roster already has in place and make this thing really go? I don’t particularly want a disciplinarian, players coach or tactician. I want someone who is very smart, understands sports psychology and knows how to surround himself with strong personnel. Whether that’s the greatest hockey player that has ever lived, some guy coaching in the deep south of the United States, or a recently retired plugger, or any other type, I’m not really sure.

2. Ducey says:

LT, has Harold Ballard occupied your body?

Why MacT?? Matheson has him as a source so always talks him up, but really, is there such a small coaching pool that we need to hire the guy we fired three years ago?

Is there any precedent that hiring the guy you recently fired actually works?

I say fire Bucky and Smith and make Kruger the headmaster (with some new assistants).

3. Gret99zky says:

MacT? Really?

Sometimes I wonder if Oilers fans know there are people available to be hired that have not worked for the org in the past.

4. Gret99zky says:

Is Pat Quinn available? Ron Low? Ted Green?

5. Gerta Rauss says:

What’s that old line? Expect the unexpected?

It’s holey mackerel, have we ever got a lot of coaches..!!

I vote for a young AHL coach-whether that’s Todd Nelson or not I don’t know.

6. Traktor says:

I know which one I’m picking.

He also won the Calder Cup with the Hershey Bears.

His wins/losses in the NHL are: 329-226

7. Mr DeBakey says:

This is not news

Its been clear for a while that Renney would be driven into the wilderness – taking the sins of all with him.

This even though its clearly not his fault that the Oilers stink, the rebuilders get to wear that one.

8. Simmer24 says:

I think the organization has to take a long look at Todd Nelson in OKC especially after the work he has done this season.

9. Mr DeBakey says:

“One of his traits to to play extremely physical. I think guys like Belanger and Horcoff would hate him because he expects a lot of grit if you aren’t scoring goals.”

You’ve never seen Horcoff in front of the net?

Fuck you’re tiresome.

10. DBO says:

I vote Hartley or Ted Nolan. Tough type coaches, light a fire. When you change coaches you don’t go with the same one, you change it up. And Hartley and Nolan will make players earn time. Bringing back a recent coach will just have us fall back into the old issues of coaches favorites. Change it up!!!!

11. DSF says:

I’d wager Marc Crawford will be the Oilers next head coach.

Has a reputation, Katz will love that.

AHL Coach of the Year

NHL Coach of the Year

Stanley Cup winner

Known for coaching a fast paced, offensive style of play.

Nice hair.

Perfect.

12. Traktor says:

Mr DeBakey:

You’ve never seen Horcoff in front of the net?

Fuck you’re tiresome.

Some fans might not believe in playing physical, but some coaches do, including Hartley.

13. Traktor says:

I can guarantee you that Hartley wouldn’t let Sarich leave the game unscathed, clean hit or not.

14. rickithebear says:

Traktor: Robert Nilsson registered more hits than Shawn Horcoff when he played here. Robert Fucking Nilsson.

Traktor:
    De Bakey might have had a selfish up bringing. he does not understand “it is better to give than recieve”

15. justDOit says:

Too bad for TR for this to come out before the end of the season, but if true, I hope that Krueger is considered for the job.

16. DSF says:

rickithebear: Traktor:

As it is in most things in life, it is far, far better to be the hammer than the nail.

17. Traktor says:

rickithebear: Traktor:

lol

18. melancholyculkin says:

Traktor:

I know which one I’m picking.

Not like there were extenuating circumstances. Such as, you know, fighting cancer while completing a masters degree, or something silly and time consuming like that.

I think MacT had grown tired of trying to win and develop at the same time. If my guess is correct, this signals a major change in thinking–time to win games–and MacTavish was winning 38 games last time we saw him with less talent.

Surprised at some of the names. Hartley? Jesus, why don’t we just hire John Brophy?

20. Mr DeBakey says:

Jesus, why don’t we just hire John Brophy?

Brophy is a man who knows grit.
    Grits too, I bet.

And we all know how many games grit wins.
    Rhymes with hero.

21. Traktor says:

Division titles:

Hartley – 5
    Brophy – 0
    MacTavish – 0

The ONE season MacT had a team worth going to war with he got them to G7 SCF. Those kids might learn to play a little without the puck along the way too!

23. rich says:

The one coach I would not want them to hire would be Marc Crawford. For crying out loud stop hiring ex-Vancouver Canucks. It’s not like they’ve one a flipping thing that v3.5 keeps going out and hiring them.

If you’re gonna do that then you might as well hire Harry Neale.

Hiring Todd Nelson or Dallas Eakins would be a bold move, which means it won’t happen because neither has NHL experience and v3.5 (if he’s back) is not someone prone to bold moves.

24. "Steve Smith" says:

Mr DeBakey,

Little known fact: Traktor hasn’t actually seen an Oilers’ game since 1996.

25. pboy says:

If its true that Renney is gone, I’d vote for changing up the assistant coaches as well. I’m taking for granted that Krueger is heading back to Europe or else I’d consider him for the top job.

No more ex Oilers, no more 1st year coaches, no more going back to the same well, time and time again.

Definitely pass on Hartley or Crawford.

How about Paul Maurice?

26. geowal says:

As a diversion from the anger directed towards the organization, a really cool story on Taylor Fedun’s rehab for those who haven’t noticed it on the oiler site. Great to watch the progress from not walking to joining team practice, looks good! Already skates better than half our D-men.

Seems unlikely he cracks the big club in training camp but hard to imagine him not getting a contract for the Barons.

27. LMHF#1 says:

I get the argument, but he had decent teams subsequently and couldn’t do anything. If you also believe the buzz that the time at which the team took off in ’06 coincided with Mactavish losing the room and Pronger+Peca essentially taking over (which I do, because everything on the ice changed really quickly) then you’d understand second and third-guessing the idea.

Further, I just don’t see any greatness in him. He just doesn’t bring out those exceptional qualities from individual players.

I know many loved the way he line-matched, but is that all there is to coaching?

No, and there were things about MacT that were a drag (PP). I’m not suggesting he is the only option, but imo it’s also not terribly obvious there’s a clear #1 candidate out there. Is there?

I doubt MacT gets the job, and suspect Crawford is the likely #1 contender at this time.

Sedin concussed and everyone chasing Duncan Keith around the ice. Did anyone see it? I assume Keith has been sent to the hospital.

30. LMHF#1 says:

And I’d probably take MacTavish over Crawford. We don’t need that ball of crazy. I’m just hoping against hope that we’re aiming high.

But what’s high? What is available?

32. steveb12344 says:

How about Sarich getting creamed last night?

The sight of him smacking the ice face-first, Laying there motionless for a few moments, then needing to be helped off the ice. Was one of the best instances of karma that i’ve seen.

Also, it totally made me pitch a tent. lol

33. LMHF#1 says:

Was wondering how long it would take one of them to take a shot for the misdeeds of people like Burrows and Kesler. I hope every Hawk reminds every Canuck that it is on those guys and keeps giving stars a rough time. Possibly with a little more subtlety.

34. LMHF#1 says:

But what’s high? What is available?

I’m not sure to be honest, just sure of the criteria I’d use.

35. D says:

LT,

Muckler oftentimes does not get as much credit as he deserves for the Oilers’ past up-tempo style of hockey.

In terms of Renney being gone – I’m not sorry to see him go. The Oilers need to take full advantage of Eberle, Hall, and RNH’s speed and talent.

I know it won’t happen, and I know his first stint as a head coach was an unmitigated disaster, but maybe Wayne Gretzky behind the bench would be a good fit for the kids.

36. Spydyr says:

Sure hire MacTavish back .He should be able to turn Ebs into the next Horcoff in a year or two…….shakes head and wonders if there any young hungry up and coming coaches .Or all that is left are retreads?

37. Dixs35 says:

We can always hope Ruff gets canned……………..

38. blackdog says:

I think Crawford would be about as bad a hire as you can make and I fully expect him to be the next coach. Tambo does everything by the book. Everything. Crawford has the Cup ring. Of course he’s about a decade past his past due date but then again so was Pat Quinn.

Personally I’d like to see a bright young coach seeing as Hitchcock is not available but have no idea who that would be. Problem with hiring the unproven is sometimes you hit a home run (Bylsma) and sometimes it doesn’t work out. Remember how Arniel was the guy everyone had to have?

Of course talent makes the coach in any case. They could hire Scott Bowman, Mike Babcock and the ghost of Toe Blake and they’d not squeeze this crew into the playoffs.

39. Clay says:

I saw the Sedin/Keith incident. It was at centre ice along the boards, and Keith basically elbowed Sedin directly in the mush. He got two minutes, but I don’t think the refs saw it – they were sort of blocked out as both players were sort of facing the glass. Clear elbow to the head, though, wouldn’t be surprised if Shanny’s people call Keith’s people and set up a lunch date.

40. Mr DeBakey says:

Horcoff was a 99th overall pick…..

Crawford has the Cup ring

He & Khabbi could swap gritty Cup-winnin war stories – bet he’d get more than 9 good games outta Khabbi – “Think Game 7, Think Game 7!”

41. stevezie says:

steveb12344:
    How about Sarich getting creamed last night?

What Karma? Sarich didn’t do anything dirty to Hall. Hall is hurt due to a unique convergence of not looking where he was going and falling down at the wrong time. You wanna be mad at someone be mad at Hall.

42. "Steve Smith" says:

Spydyr:

Where did this meme about MacTavish ruining offensive talent come from? Seriously, is there a single example? Is it possible that you’re thinking of Ron Low?

Personally, I think we should hire George Burnett.

43. blackdog says:

“Steve Smith”,

Well there was Rob Schremp. Just look how he’s tearing up the second tier Hungarian league.

44. pboy says:

45. "Steve Smith" says:

Fun fact: Craig MacTavish coached the Springfield Falcons during the 2008-2009 season.

46. hunter1909 says:

METROSEXUAL RENNEY Leaves oilers to go on to find his own personal dream

47. pboy says:

The Oilers could use a prick like Kevin Bieksa.

48. hunter1909 says:

2012-13 OILERS TO HUNTER1909: “Geez boss, why can’t the Canadiens win?

HUNTER1909 TO EVERYONE ELSE: WTF suckers, lol.

49. "Steve Smith" says:

“STEVE” TO HUNTER1909: WHAT’RE YOU POURING TONIGHT?

Traktor,

Getting an MBA, doing some TV and fighting off cancer in his first two years off.

Coaching in the AHL in the next year.

Pretty busy 3 years.

I’d imagine most would want to see if his health held up under the stress of a coaching job before trusting him to do it in the NHL.

51. SK Oiler Fan says:

Crawford? Really? Why? Becasue he’s on TSN? He did F all with a decent Dallas team last go around. Pass.
    Would like to see Mac T as an assistant to work with the PKers and centers in their own end. Keep him away from the PP. He likely wouldn’t take an assistant position though.
    Steve Smith has done some good things with Smid and Petry so I’d keep him around.
    Don’t know much about Krueger, but if he’s had anything to do with the PP you have to keep him around. Players seem to like mucking it up with him.
    Bucky – Meh, keep him in the press box as the eyes from above.
    My preferred head coach – He’s in St. Louis now

Renney had crap to work with, but the puzzling decisions have become more frequent and obvious. He’s desperate and it’s showing. He’s coaching like he knows he’s out the door.

52. SK Oiler Fan says:

Bunz WHL Eastern Conf. Goalie of the year and first team all star

Davidson – 2nd team all star

53. Noodles says:

“Steve Smith”: Where did this meme about MacTavish ruining offensive talent come from?Seriously, is there a single example?Is it possible that you’re thinking of Ron Low?

Personally, I think we should hire George Burnett.

I once read a fan comment on a website (I think it was the official Oilers site, but I’m not sure) where the person said something to the effect of “MacT ruined Pisani by forcing him to be a checker and suppressing his elite offensive talent”.

54. Lois Lowe says:

I don’t think that Hitch would have come to the Oilers anyway, we just don’t have the personnel to suit his playing style. St Louis was a team absolutely built for his coaching style, it’s no surprise to see how well they’re doing under him.

I am not convinced that Renney is done with the Oilers unless v4.0 is done too. I could see both getting two more years to see the “rebuild” through. I think there’s been progress under Renney from last year to this year and bringing in a new coach for a team this young won’t help them next year IMO. Renney seems like a good fit in terms of teacher/friend/taskmaster and I think he gets the benefit of the doubt.

55. Ducey says:

But what’s high?

Hunter is most nights.

56. hockeyguy10 says:

Traktor: It has been 3 years since MacT was fired and 29 other NHL teams still haven’t hired him to coach in the NHL. MacT fans are either smarter than all 30 NHL teams, or, like Horcoff fans, are poor judges of talent.I know which one I’m picking.One guy I think would be interesting is Bob Hartley. One of his traits to to play extremely physical. I think guys like Belanger and Horcoff would hate him because he expects a lot of grit if you aren’t scoring goals. In 9 years he has 5 division titles with 2 different teams. He won the Stanley Cup in 2000/2001 and was the only coach to help the Thrashers make the playoffs with an impressive 43-28-11 season.He also won the Calder Cup with the Hershey Bears.His wins/losses in the NHL are: 329-226

57. "Steve Smith" says:

hockeyguy10,

I’ll field this one, Traktor: Horcoff.

58. hockeyguy10 says:

pboy: I think some of the folks here are judging MacT as an offensive coach solely on how passive the Oilers PP was during his tenure. A lot of Oilers had career offensive seasons with him as Head Coach as well. I think I would be scouring the AHL for my next coach and bringing in some experienced NHL assistant coaches to work with him. Time for some new blood and maybe a guy with some color in his hair.

59. Traktor says:

hockeyguy10: Its been 5 yrs since Hartley had an NHL gig. Are those same teams that are smart for passing on MacT the last 3 yrs. dumb for not hiring Hartley over the last 5yrs?

I never said Hartley was my first choice, only that he would be an interesting option considering his style of coaching and his previous success (5 division titles, Calder Cup, Stanley).

I can assure you though if we hire Hartley and he achieves mediocre results which lead to his termination I will not argue to bring him back 3 years later.

60. Jimmer says:

“We will not be fielding any questions….thanks.” – Steve Tambellini

61. Doug McLachlan says:

LT (and others), you are a big fan of Hockeytown and the Sens sure look to have struck gold with their Wing castoff behind the bench. If the Sharks fail to make the post-season I would expect some housecleaing in the Bay Area. Would former Red Wings assistant and current Sharks head coach, Todd McLellan 170-86-0-40 regular season and 19-20 playoff record in his 3 years as a head coach fit the bill here?

62. cabbiesmacker says:

Rehiring MacTavish would be so typical of this team wouldn’t it? Right up there with the decision to reward LowExpectations with the Presidents chair after royally f’ing things up as a GM. Based on MacT’s previous success rate I guess.

“Can you tell us your qualifications Mr Candidate?”

“I played for the Oilers once”

“You’re hired.”

Todd Nelson

Mike Haveland

Ray Bennet (for the stat hounds)

Lane Lambert

Peter Horachek

63. bookje says:

Jimmer:

“We will not be fielding any questions….thanks.”– Steve Tambellini

Yeah, why not Lowe?

Traktor,

Considering his results with the rosters he was given, I’d suggest MacT should have won the Jack Adams in 08/09 for getting a group of AHLers within 6 points of a playoff spot.

1 OTC and Khabby later and its 30th place.

65. bookje says:

I always found Renney difficult to judge because I never knew what he was directed to do – was he trying to lose to get a better draft pick, was he trying to develop players, what???

I would guess if he is not renewed, then he must have failed at whatever it was. I think this year his direction was to win more while continuing to develop players.

Not sure Renney gets a fair shake here, but that’s the way it goes I guess.

When do we hear about the GM contract?

66. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Traktor,

Considering his results with the rosters he was given, I’d suggest he should have won the Jack Adamsin 08/09 for getting a group of AHLers within 6 points of a playoff spot.

1 OTC and Khabby later and its 30th place.

Why don’t you use the standard ‘quote’ function? Are you some kind of rebel? Why must you change the font colour? Why change the indent?

Conform man, Conform!

67. Beaker says:

Jimmer: “Thanks to everyone for coming today…I am pleased to announce my boss is the new Head Coach”“We will not be fielding any questions….thanks.” – Steve Tambellini

68. Schitzo says:

Beaker: We should get Katz behind the bench? Who wouldnt play hard with Batman as their coach?

This new blog by some fellow named Bane sure is hard on the coach, but he makes some good points.

69. Maverick says:

What happens if Calgary misses the playoffs (and they will) and they fire Brent Sutter, would the Oilers hire him as their next head coach?? I know crazy thinking but expect the unexpected.

70. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

MacT pushed pretty damn hard for a coaching job last season and got no where. Many coaches have been fired during this season and no one plucked him out of the A. There is no line up for MacT’s services at this time. Why, because he is a best fit for a veteran team looking to make a run. The only team that fired a coach this season that fit that bill is Washington. They picked Hunter instead and are probably regretting it.

If Hunter walks away after this season, MacT would be a viable candidate there.

Here is Edmonton he would totally fuck up the kids. For those of you who want MacT back, wait until after the next coach has finished polishing up the kids. Then bring him back.

In the mean time there are LOTS of viable alternatives, including: Todd Nelson, Chicago’s Mike Haviland, Nashville’s Lane Lambert, Philadelphia’s Kevin McCarthy , Kurt Kleinendorst from Binghamton, and Gerrard Gallant.

What the heck is wrong with Bob Hartley? He won the title with Laval, Hershey and Colorado. He has a .559 winning percetnage and Atlanta improved in points in EACH of this full years there (78 –> 90 –> 97), under Don bleeping Waddell!!!!! If that’s not a mircale worker, what the hell is? He sure as heck has a better track record than MacT.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Why not hire Bobby Knight?

basketball, hockey… what does it matter when your already crazy anyway?

geowal:
    As a diversion from the anger directed towards the organization, a really cool story on Taylor Fedun’s rehab for those who haven’t noticed it on the oiler site.Great to watch the progress from not walking to joining team practice, looks good!Already skates better than half our D-men.

Thanks for the video tip! that’s an amazing set of footage. It’s obviously a puff piece, but that doesn’t matter. Aside from the sweet story of recovery… it’s an incredible look into the amount of time and effort invested in athletes today. I wonder if 25 years ago the same amount of effort would have been spent on a rehabbing player (minus the tech/health science advances… ie., just shear man hours! working with a trainer 5 hours a day, every day must be a huge expense!). I highly doubt it… I wonder how many careers are saved/prolonged by that kind of investment and whether it actually pays off (not for the player, that seems obvious… but for the teams).

72. admiralmark says:

Here’s a thought? Nielson’s wrong and Renney gets extended 1 more year. :)

73. FastOil says:

Traktor,

I read an interview with Babcock on Kukla’s a while back. He stated the Wings play between the whisltes because of the players they have. He also said if the team was made up differently maybe they’d be more aggressive. He also mentioned he’d like another “heavy” player, but it usually meant a trade off with talent and skill, and that he would take talent and skill first.

He’s a had a bit of success, might be something to that.

When you have a team as small as the Oilers up front, none of whom play a hitting style, can’t see how that works. I can see a lot of injuries and concussions.

74. hags9k says:

Gretz please. I would love to see the cameras pan to our bench after a shift by the kids and there is The Great One, whispering into Nuge’s ear pointing at the ice. Talk about pitchin a tent. GOILERS

75. BlacqueJacque says:

This is one of the silliest reasons I’ve ever heard for letting a coach go. “You’ve been with these kids three years. You know them, their strengths, their weaknesses, what motivates them and what doesn’t. You’ve helped develop their talents and they respect you like no other because you’re their first NHL coach. Thank you for your services, we’re going to bring in a complete stranger to replace you.”

But, this is the Oilers “brain” trust at work. Of course, I was wrong about GilbertSchultz so what do I know?

As for MacT? No, not in a million years. I don’t want MacT hockey here. Half-trap, half Nugent Hopkins diving in front of pucks in game 57 of the season for fear of benching or being Macblendered onto a line with Eric Belanger and Ryan Smyth.

76. BlacqueJacque says:

hockeyguy10: How about an experienced NHL asst as a head coach.Doug Houda has been an asst in Boston for 5 yrs. Runs the defence and special teams. Has a ring and is an Alberta boy.

Sound choice, but if we’re going to poach, I’d like to take a long look at the Detroit system first.

77. BlacqueJacque says:

In defence of Tom Renney:

That’s an article that echoed the fan sentiment in New York at the time.

This just reinforced the fact that Renney was too much of a players coach and when he tried to be tough the players didn’t buy into it.

Tortorella will without a doubt put the enthusiasm into a Rangers squad that looks like it has no heart, grit, or will to win. Watch any one of his press conferences from the 2004 Stanley Cup finals and you will see he is the perfect person to restore the play of players like Redden.

Some players on the Rangers will love what Tortorella will bring to the team. Players like Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Petr Prucha, and Nikolai Zherdev will excel in the fast pace and higher scoring game that Tortorella will implement.

Renney’s game didn’t allow these players to use their full potential because he used more of a puck possession game opposed to more pucks toward the nets and more shots.

One player that will excel in this new system is Petr Prucha, a player that constantly gives 110 percent but never got to player under Renney. His hustle and effort will impress Tortorella and he will begin to be in the lineup much more.

Anyone remember the Tom Renney line maker gag from Puck Daddy? It started because of Petr Prucha, a player every fan in New York loved but was sure Tom Renney was under-utilizing or using wrong. Where is he now? Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky were supposed to break out, yet neither has taken the next step. And Nik Zherdev? Hah!

Moreover, you can’t say that the Oilers have quit on Renney. Two times this season he really called them out, and both times they responded. He hasn’t used that whip often, but that’s why they still listen to him. The team is getting better, and we’d likely be at least around Anaheim in the standings if we hadn’t lost so many players, especially defencemen, simultaneously.