Susanne Kekich

The problem is you develop a past. Each time we make a mistake, those around us (consciously or subconsciously) make a mental note of it. After awhile, this becomes part of your “reputation” or the “walking dialogue” people might have about you when you’re not in the room. It isn’t especially nice, but it’s probably fair and if people have stopped inviting you onto projects there’s likely a good reason.

I have a buddy, we’ll call him Gary (that isn’t his real name). I’ve known Gary for over 30 years and in that time we’ve come to know a lot about each other. He’s a frontrunner, loved the Yankees as a child and I guess it took because the Packers, Red Wings and Lakers are his other teams. Anyway, because we’re both old and have long memories, discussions sometimes morph into old arguments and we can end the conversation with a quick remark or name from the past.

When I want to shut Gary down, I say “hey, how’s Susanne Kekich?” and we follow with a long pause and then start anew. There’s nothing he can say, no retort that matches it, nothing but “oh yeah?” but we’re old and beyond the point where it’s so important we’re going to argue it again.

It’s the ultimate. Ends the conversation. Stone cold dead. That story is the nadir’s nadir. The New York Yankees (and by extension their fanbase) have never recovered from that moment. It’s long gone now, but Yankees fans never found a counter to the argument. If the same thing happened today, I don’t know that the reaction would have been as universal, but at the time the world reacted as one and for whatever reason Yankee nation was forced to wear it. Funny thing, this.

The problem is you develop a past.

NATION RADIO

It’s a “best of” Nation Radio today, as we have hand picked interviews over these last months that are worth repeating. Among our guests are:

• Former Oiler Sean Brown, who talks about his NHL career, injuries and their impact, and what he’s doing these days.
  • Todd Nelson, coach of the OKC Barons made a January appearance and gave great insight into Teemu Hartikainen, Tyler Pitlick, Curtis Hamilton and others.
  • Canucks Corner’s Tom Benjamin was fascinating in discussing Mark Howe, the impact of fighting on the game and what to do about the trap.
  • Skip Krake, former WHA Oiler and former Boston Bruin told us about Ace Bailey’s life, the WHA experience and original NHL expansion. A wonderful time.
  • Michael Spiedel and I talked about the draft and early moments of free agency during this July 3rd interview. Interesting to listen again and see how things worked out.
  • Jeff Krushell dropped by in late October and gave tremendous insight into player recovery. It’s a gem and he delivers all kinds of information that is relevant.

These are six of my favorite interviews over the last year, hope you tune in to hear them. Noon on Team 1260 Edmonton and the full show will be up on the Nation soon.

105 Responses to "Susanne Kekich"

1. hags9k says:

Sorry I’m late to this but we recalled MPS but he was not eligible to be recalled? I am no CBA expert so maybe someone here can explain why this circumstance was unique and unavoidable and therefore why there’s still a chance this hockey team has competent management.

2. hunter1909 says:

Excellent real life philosophy Lowetide.

Tell Sean Brown from me that I wish he was on the current team, or certainly at next training camp.

Brown brought it all, unlike horcoff the captain. Talking about Woodguy, and DSF etc, as more or less being sick of Tambellini, when horcoff is mysteriously still the captain of this abortion of a hockey team strikes me as being a case of seeing something and pretending it’s not there.

NOTE TO KATZ: Make sure Taylor Hall is made captain as early as draft day. It’s Taylor Hall’s team now as if there’s any counter-argument. Compare the difference of play with him out of the lineup.

note: don’t half ass things by letting horcoff keep an assistant letter either. New head coach, horcoff no letter, get Bucky off the bench ffs please. Hire Kreuger for head coach if you like, he looked pretty good the short time he was head coach.

Front office has to allow the coaching staff to be run by the head coach, with sacking powers over any of his assistants. Poor Renney, all the while knowing that Buchberger has a job for life, no matter how many concussions he has on his medical record.

3. nathan says:

Scenario 1: 2 days before you recall Paajarvi you consult with the league office. An official tells you that the paper recall at the deadline for the clear list with no games actually played does not count. You forgot your past and the NHL’s past and you file the official documents AND book the flight.

Scenario 2: 2 days before you recall Paajarvi you consult with the league office. An official tells you that the paper recall at the deadline for the clear list with no games actually played does not count. You think about the trust you’re asking from the young players and the fanbase. You file the official papers and advise the player that due to stay in OKC while you wait for a ruling on this odd case.

One of these scenarios does not involve Susan.

I think we agree that if any heads roll it needs to be for past sins not this. Let it be the right head.

4. Ducey says:

Didn’t they go on the recent win streak with Hall out of the lineup?

In other non Hunter hating Horcoff news, Pitlick seems to have come on. He has 7 of his 20 points and 36 of his 110 shots in 13 games in March. He has played 55 games overall.

5. hunter1909 says:

It’s high time Katz hires a competent head coach, and gives him full powers to replace all of the assistants. I say Katz, because we know KLowe never will, not in a million billion suns.

FFS, oiler’s are run in a way that would put a medieval Irish monastery to shame.

Hmmm…let’s see…

- KLowe(and astonishingly mucho endless re-issues of MacT returning to go along with it),

- Buchberger with an assistant coach job that obviously supersedes any ability or whatever the head coach(currently Renney, replacement to be presented with the exact same wack problem)

- Shawn Horcoff as team captain…Captain Horcoff’s “team” finished 30th, 30th, and 29th as of today. A 3rd/4th line centreman talent anchoring a powerplay, penalty kill, and shutdown centre role plus captain of the team all at the same time, plus threatening to return to the top 6 due to injuries.

I’ll still give Tambellini the benefit of the doubt, so long as they don’t do anything foolish between now, the draft, and on to next training camp etc. But it’s not getting easier, particularly with yesterday’s hilarity of an NHL franchise worth 100 million whatever dollars clearly not understanding the rules of it’s own fucking league. Plus, everyone gets a free pass always, no one is ever fired for utter shameless incompetence.

6. spoiler says:

Hey, how’s Rick Olczyk?

7. spoiler says:

YOU ARE WRONG!

8. hunter1909 says:

Didn’t they go on the recent win streak with Hall out of the lineup?

Big deal. A handful of meaningless wins, against teams who take a look at the standings and immediately pencil in the two points expected from a 29th place team.

I’d prefer to use the past two games as being more representative – seeing that they played two desperate playoff level teams, and were out of both just as soon as the big boys started bodychecking the puny little oilers. Sad.

Those wins really helped everyone think Hartkinnen and Petrell are going to walk into training camp and star next season, instead of struggling and going back to the AHL(my cynical take).

Hopefully I’m wrong, and the rebuild starts to pay off, sans the endless procession of lottery picks, ha ha.

9. spoiler says:

LT, I think it was Susanne Kekich.

10. DerekZ says:

Yet a great swath of fans and the entire media continue to defend the morons in charge.

They’ll wave this off, just like they did with Brule’s waiver status, Hartikainen’s signing date, Khabibulin’s contract, Barker’s contract, the Visnovsky trade, the Brodziak trade, not signing Wes Walz for three seasons, turning Joni Pitkanen into Jim Vandermeer, handling Hemsky’s injuries, Souray’s injuries, Staios’ injury, Hall’s injury, and they’ll happily plunk down money for an Eberle MINISTICK!

Get your 2012-13 Mini packs now!

DerekZ:

Get your 2012-13 Mini packs now!

12. bookje says:

My new favourite saying is “Somdays you are a Fritz Peterson and other days you are a Mike Kekich “

13. Traktor says:

- Ryan Jones will not score more than 5 goals

- Pouliot is as good as Parise. Just wait.

- Horcoff is a top 15 center in the league.

- People that watched Jeff Petry play need to look at the math. He’s not a player.

- Howson and Sutter are two GM’s that get winning.

I could go on and on..

I’m not saying my track record is great, you can say I’m the dumbest fucker in the world and it will not make a difference to me. The problem is there is a large group of fans that have a reputation of being wrong that are judging what is right or wrong about the organization.

Edmonton is headed in the right direction.

14. bookje says:

Lowetide: I think you’d be surprised at how many people have opted out of season tickets. There have been a lot..Now, the waiting list is three years long so they have no trouble replacing them, but I don’t think it’s fair to tar Oiler fans as brainless. It isn’t so.

I think its fair, I mean, who would hold on to season tickets for years through all of the crap and then dump them at the time when the team has three exciting stars with unknown potential and a top draft pick to come. It seems like selling stocks right after a market crash to me.

spoiler:
    LT, I think it was Susanne Kekich.

Damn, you may be right. don’t tell Gary!

16. justDOit says:

Four. Four callups after the trade deadline, and they can’t get that right. I’ve been trying not to pile on in regards to questioning this management team, but that is becoming increasingly difficult.

Somebody better build them a zippy spreadsheet before the time comes to start managing the salary cap when players like Ebs, RNH, and Hall enter their 2nd contracts.

Traktor:

Edmonton is headed in the right direction.

Edmonton has a lot of nice things, and I do think it’s a matter of “how high” they go. However, you can’t discount the errors and explosions either. Mr. Katz should look long and hard into why these things are happening.

18. DerekZ says:

Lowetide: but I don’t think it’s fair to tar Oiler fans as brainless. It isn’t so.

Lowetide: Now, the waiting list is three years long so they have no trouble replacing them,

19. Traktor says:

DerekZ spends his Saturday mornings on Oiler blogs poking fun at season tickets holders.

Hilarious.

Probably the same DerekZ that thinks Gagner is better than Eberle and Sutter is the best player from the 2007 draft.

If only management could see the game like him..

21. Kert says:

Looks like the NYIs were having a pretty rough season, 9-54-5, 23 pts.141gf, 307ga. (-166 goal diff.) at the time of that article in your post.

Looks like they went from 30 pts in ’73, 56 pts in ’74, 88 pts, 101 pts, 106 pts, 111 pts, 116 pts, Stanleys.

We’ve got a lot of work to do if we’re following the NYI model. :)

22. Ribs says:

Hunter – What did you think of Buchberger as captain?

23. bookje says:

They’re all Communists!

24. spoiler says:

Sens with the old Messier-Anderson stuke play to go up 1-0 on the Flyers. Bobrovsky with no clue.

25. bookje says:

Lowetide: osions eit

As a general apologist for Tambellini and crew who has very limited actual knowledge of the inner workings of the system, I hope Katz (and some of his professional advisors) are watching these guys like hawks to determine if they have the knowledge and skills to move this thing forwards or if they are a bunch of clowns.

Sometimes on Oil Change they look more like clowns and perhaps that is what they are.

I have not been critical of things like putting Khabibulin in last night, because, lets face it, there is a logic to losing a few games at the end to get a better draft pick. However, I do wonder about many of the player development/management decisions in terms of pissing off players and developing a bad league reputation.

Anyway, as noted, I hope Katz is smart and I hope he is watching closely.

26. Ribs says:

It looks like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have been working on a movie about the Petersen-Kekich trade. Maybe you can go see it with “Gary”, LT!

27. spoiler says:

Ribs:

Trust two Red Sox fans to go there.

28. nathan says:

“show will be up on the Nation soon”

This is Wanye’s big chance to post them even before the show starts. Subliminal neutrinos and all.

29. gd says:

Personally I wish there would be a complete housecleaning, but I will accept KL/ST returning just because I live in a one major league sports team town and I love the potential of the kids. If any of Hall, Eberle or RNH are lost to cap management bungling I will begin looking to begin my semi-retirement in Phoenix in the winter so I never have to follow the Oil again.

That said I hope there is a coaching change just to change the culture. I am very hopeful that Phoenix is moving to Quebec which will free up Tippett and they make a “godfather” offer to him. Hell I think they should send one of their second round picks to Phx to get Tippett if they have to.

I think we have to accept that we are stuck with Horcoff and make the best of it. I do think he can be an okay third line centre and the Captaincy is not that important until a new coach has got a proper feel for the team and then whichever of the young guns he wants as captain can be given the C.

I hope they can sign Shultz as that would give me more comfort that the org is getting better, and saves them from overpaying a veteren like Garrisson.

Unless Grigorenko blows me away with how he plays the rest of the playoffs I believe the guy they are going to have to draft is Murray despite all the evidence of top dmen not panning out. Galcynyuk and Faksa were the guys I was hoping to get, but Galcynyuk has just not looked good in his return and Faksa is now out with a concussion which makes both too risky to pick in the top 3.

30. spoiler says:

Ritch Winter for GM?

31. bookje says:

Ribs:

You are all sinners!!!

32. LP says:

LT on Vacation? What? I was all setup to listen to the show…. :-(

(you surely deserve it..)

33. DSF says:

spoiler:
    Ritch Winter for GM?

34. bookje says:

The article you link to says Susan though…

35. Ribs says:

bookje: Ribs found this after searching Google for images of the two women involved trying to suss out who ‘won’ the trade.

Haha. It’s funny because it’s true.

36. El Guapo says:

You are all sinners!!!

Deadspin had an interesting excerpt from a book called “Damn Yankees” on this very subject:

Clearly, either Tambellini or Olzcyk is primarily responsible for the Paajarvi screwup, but Renney is not blame free. Renney has to know that Vandevelde is on emergency recall, and the moment he decides Horcoff is going to play, Vandevelde has to be returned to the minors.

Petry and Smid go down with injuries, and people think that the Oilers have too many defense prospects to draft more. You cannot have too many defensemen.

The Oilers high-level forward talent is under performing because of the lack of good defensemen who can get them the puck in stride and on the tape.

If by some miracle, Justin Schultz decides on Edmonton, draft Murray (or Reinhart) too.

Smid now, like Whitney, is an official suspect health wise.

38. spoiler says:

godot10:
    Clearly, either Tambellini or Olzcyk is primarily responsible for the Paajarvi screwup, but Renney is not blame free.Renney has to know that Vandevelde is on emergency recall, and the moment he decides Horcoff is going to play, Vandevelde has to be returned to the minors.

That has nothing to do with Renney. That’s the GM’s job–and his CBA advisor–once the medical staff has cleared Horcoff to play.

39. stevezie says:

hunter1909,

Since you have no problem endless repeating yourself, I will repeat myself as well: This notion that Hall obviously needs to be made captain yesterday is false, it’s foolish, it’s positively fellacious. Let’s ingore the long list of elite players who were given the C at a young age and it either didn’t work out or was a total disaster, let’s just stop and ask outselves what you hope to achieve by giving Hall the captaincy?
    Is it to motivate Hall? Because if you don’t think he’s already at max motivation, then we are watching different games.
    Is it to motivate the team? Because if this is already “Hall’s team and everyone knows it”, then the letter change would be in name only.
    There are practical duties that a captain has to prefrom. It involves a certain amount of community work, press work, team function management and other crap that a kid like Hall doesn’t need on his plate right now. There is also the one and only “official” duty of the captain- talk to the refs- which Hall is actively bad at right now. I really, really don’t see the benefit. Of course this changes if it turns out that behind the scenes Hall is an incredibly organized, serious person who would thrive under a higher workload, but really we as fans have NO WAY of knowing that,

You hate Horcov. WE GET IT. Why this translates to thinking it’s automatic that a twenty year old be given a bunch of responsibilities and obligations is beyond me. Yeah, he reminds us all of Messier, but even Foglin let the kids play out their ELC (equivilant) before passing the mantle.

40. Jesse says:

stevezie:
    hunter1909,

it’s positively fellacious.

41. voxwah says:

Oilers have recalled defenceman Colten Teubert on an emergency basis from the Oklahoma City Barons.

Lets see if he makes it, lol.

Traktor,

Edmonton is headed in the right direction.

30th, 30th, 29th.

Yup, moving on up!! To the top!! To a deeee-lux apartment in the sky!

NYI have Tavares, Moulson, Parenteau, Neilsen, Okposo, Hamonic. More nicer things than the Oilers, but without the right players around them, they continue to flounder. They are hamstringed by an internal cap that the Oilers won’t be though.

Columbus had a lot of nice young players.

Atlanta had a lot of nice young players.

Edmonton has a lot of nice young players.

Without putting good pieces around them, it will be all for naught.

I don’t see Tambellini being the guy to do it. His track record just doesn’t give any confidence.

43. Ribs says:

Tencer tweets…

Oilers traveling to California without Petry, Smid or Peckham as per @TomGazzola. Colten Teubert on his way up, and Barker will get back in.

Was Petry hurt last night as well?

44. delooper says:

Petry took a puck in the face (clearing attempt) and went to the dressing-room. He might have got a concussion.

Hey, instead of all this dire talk about the Oilers have you guys notice the life-sucking deathmarch the Flames are on in the last few games of the season? They’re barely holding on to a faint glimmer of a playoff hope but it looks like the flame has died in their hearts. Why not talk about that? That’s got to cheer you all up.

45. speeds says:

Interesting to reflect, listening to that interview I did with LT in early July. A couple notable quotes:

re: Columbus “It’s tough to imagine Columbus got worse”

Uhh, whoops?

re: Barker

“I like the idea behind the Barker experiment, the money seems a bit high, but it seems like a reasonable gamble. He’d be an RFA next summer, so if it works out, well, you have an asset, and it not, you just move on and find someone else next summer.”

re: draft Q: What was the highlight for you from EDM’s draft?”

“I like Rieder, where they got him”

“I really like the sounds of Klefbom and Musil, but I just generally prefer to take F’s at that time of the draft. BUT, if they are going to D, Klefbom was the #1 guy left on my list at that point, and Musil was #2. Only Clendening did I have higher than Musil at 31.”

Some of the few quotes from the interview where I don’t sound terrible with hindsight, although it’s pretty early still (see Trukhno).

46. Ribs says:

Thanks, Delooper. Missed it.

Ribs:
    Tencer tweets…

Was Petry hurt last night as well?

No Peckham?

Any reason why?

They’d need to call up 2 Dmen if Theo isn’t traveling.

Whitney, Shultz, Potter, Sutton, Barker……..

Traktor,

Edmonton is headed in the right direction.

Let me clarify my position.

I think the Oilers are in better shape today than they were 3 years ago to be a competitive team long term.

There is no question that getting players like Hall and RNH at the top of draft are huge acquisitions.

What I question is the ability of the Oiler management team to get to the next level and actually compete for a playoff spot.

There are more examples of teams gathering good young players and squandering the opportunity than there are those who did it an became perennial contenders.

Pro: CHI, PIT

Middling: WAS, COL

Con; NYI, CBJ, ATL,

Also,

Sutter had a very good track record until he lost him mind.

Also,

Gilbert was +2 the other night with 1st assist on the tying goal in the dying seconds and 1st assist on the overtime goal.

Shultz is a fine player, but he shouldn’t cost Gilbert.

Not knowing the market frustrates me more than anything else about the Oiler management team.

Long history of overpays both in trade and FA signings.

49. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: No Peckham?

Any reason why?

They’d need to call up 2 Dmen if Theo isn’t traveling.

Whitney, Shultz, Potter, Sutton, Barker……..

Peckham was involved in a collision with Rick Nash and wound up concussed-there hasn’t been much discussion about him since.
    I guess Teubert makes 6 D but with back to back Sun/Mon they better hope nobody gets hurt Sunday..although they must figure that they could get somebody from OKC to SoCal in short order if it comes to that.

50. hunter1909 says:

I don’t hate Horcoff at all.

I hate what they’re trying to make out of him, not the player. The player is pretty good, given a few limitations.

Give me a break. I’m just supposed to read endless stats about which player is “proven” to be better when all I’m trying to do is waste time following the NHL Oilers? I guess I prefer the politics side of the team, lol.

I’ll stop here re Horcoff. No point in winding your eyeballs up any more.

I’m always optimistic between draft day at the start of every season.

Every team above the Oilers has a shot to gain points tonight, right up to the Ducks.

51. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy:

They’d need to call up 2 Dmen if Theo isn’t traveling.

Whitney, Shultz, Potter, Sutton, Barker……..

… and Teubert makes six. That’s all they can carry in an emergency situation.

Assuming the NHL allows it. In 2007 we could only use 5 D — including Danny Syvret, Bryan Young, and Sebastien Bisaillon — and the team had to go a player short because they’d already used up their four call-ups that time too. I’m still pissed at the NHL over the way that was handled, cuz the team was in legitimate distress and just took it up the ass from the league.

Not sure if something has changed since then and now that this is an emergency and that wasn’t, cuz THAT was the biggest fucking emergency I’ve seen on a team since at least the lockout.

52. voxwah says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Woodguy,

… and Teubert makes six. That’s all they can carry in an emergency situation.

speeds: I liked the interview then and now. You had an opinion, gave it plus background and didn’t waiver. Sometimes things don’t work out but that doesn’t mean they’re bad ideas. In looking back at these interviews, I think the blog folks have shown just really well.

Good opinions backed up with numbers when available and logic and reason as the guide. I know I’m biased, but I like that little show because it is in many ways very unique. Lots of voices heard over the last year who are worthy.

I’m proud of that, and the interview we did. It’s good radio and moves the conversation forward.

voxwah: Bruce, is there a limit on the number of emergency call ups a team can make after they have used up their 4 call ups after the trade deadline?

No. There is no limit on EMERGENCY call ups. The only way you can not ice full lineup is with a salary cap screwup. Calgary (Daryl Sutter) had that problem a couple of years ago.

55. Ducey says:

spoiler:
    Ritch Winter for GM?

Yeah, he is the smartest fucking person in the history of the world – just ask him.

I met him once and within 30 seconds it was all I could do to keep from kicking his ass.

He is a critic and an asshole. His personality works as an agent.

Not a builder or a GM.

56. Ribs says:

It’s a fun show, LT. Many thanks to everyone involved in making it happen every week.

57. Traktor says:

woodguy:

I don’t think you know what a good player is or what the market is for good players. I’m not trying to be a dick but I don’t trust your opinion. At all. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

58. speeds says:

Thanks for the kind words!

The other thing I noticed is, I still haven’t posted my 2011 draft review, which I started on and have yet to finish. Might as well wait until the season is over now, and get around to posting it at some point – why do now what you can do (better?) later!

I did look though, and just for the sake of discussion, the players I’d have selected with EDM’s 1st four picks, just going from my list, were:

RNH, Khokhlachev, Rattie, St.Croix

vs. EDM’s picks of:

RNH, Klefbom, Musil, Perhonen

Way too early to tell which will turn out to be the better picks, but the types of players picked sure would have been different – 4 F’s vs. 1F, 2D, and 1G.

59. mattwatt says:

DerekZ: …

Lowetide: Derek: So you DO believe it’s fine to tar all Oiler fans with the same brush. Seems to run counter to your normal fair-minded approach. Let me ask you something. Let’s say a man owns a business and has owned season tickets for 20 years. These tickets are used by him, his family and by valued clients. However, he can’t take any more losing and decides to give up the tickets. He tells his son. His son, also a business owner, but younger and more aggressive, buys the season tickets and uses them to build his own business one client at a time. THAT happens all the time in Edmonton, and although I won’t tell you the name of the person there is such a poster who frequents here. Is that person brainless?I’ve been reading your articles, tweets and comments for a long time now and I believe you’ve started to parcel EVERYONE who disagrees with you into one group. And hey, tha’ts fine this is the internet. But I’ve always thought you had a sense of fairness about things. I suggest–with respect–things are not as black and white as your recent articles and comments imply.

I think you touched on a nerve that many who go onto these Oilers site have a hard time seeing Allan; that not everyone lives and dies with this team. To them, it is just a game, and I am fine with that.

Your sentiment jives with a family member of mine and how he views his tickets. The man is super-busy; has several children under 5, full-time job and is active in the community. He is also likely to get season tickets this year due to his placement on the waitlist. Due to what life requires of him, he does not follow this team as much as I do. He just sees the chance of owning something he has always wanted, and will likely follow through on it. Does this make him ignorant? I guess you could argue that because this team sucks, yet he is signing up to fund the Oilers’ endeavours. He is not making a fully-formed decision. However, is he wrong? I don’t see it that way. Again, life makes it difficult for him to invest as much into this team as I do. All he wants to do is buy the tickets and go to the games. I am fine if he buys the tickets, definitely won’t hold it against him. He is free to do as he chooses. Futhermore, it is not like he thinks Tambo and co. are rocket scientist; even he is started to see the writing on the wall.

I think one must always look at a fanbase for what they are: a large cross-section of people. Would I like the cheap seats to become what Tyler Dellow speaks of as a “european soccer-like” environment? Hell yes. If there was a rally organized or some other fan led initiative which spoke about the need to get rid of Tambo and Co, would I attend? Most likely. But not all fans act this way, and I can see to why.

That is why sites like this and others (I think CoppernBlue.com is another, ;) ) must continually voice their opinion and send out the message. Things should changed, and there is a lot of evidence to support this. The more the online community talks about it, the better we will all be because of it.

For even the ignorant fans will start to see the truth.

60. TheOtherJohn says:

Speeds

Listened to your original interview with LT and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well thought out and seemed to consider all issues. Did not agree with all you said but surely that is not the test, nor is being right before the fact. After the fact pleasantly surprised by both Hall and RNH. Expect if someone had asked me about Eberle at time of his draft year I would have said too small and too slow. That would not, with hindsight, look particularly clever because speed is a complete non issue with Ebs and he is so smart size is a very limited issue

Winter is a very arrogant guy but he has built up an absolutely superlative business. That is, he is very successful at what he does. Do not know if that would translate as a GM but is working out fairly well for Mike Gillis. Wish we had more highly successful people in our organization.

If Tuebert plays with Barker……. -15 over the next 4 games between them? Over/Under?

Traktor:
    woodguy:

I know you think my opinion is shit. Similar to my opinion on the way you hang on a couple of elements about a player instead of the whole (i.e. your Cogs>Gagner belief, Gilbert is bad belief etc.)

The thing is that you never engage in the debate.

You just have hit and run bites, but rarely put yourself out there in backing them up and giving your reasons.

You can come to a conclusion about my opinions because I put them out there and defend them. I also change them when I become convinced to think differently.

The most I know about your opinions has to do with gargling and Horcoff becoming captain.

As far as the market for players, I watch and study what players get traded for and sign for.

Following hockey is a hobby for me now that I don’t have large swaths of time to devote to poker, and its not tough to get a feel for the market price of players quickly.

One thing I learned early on is that RH Dmen who can play in all situations is like left handed pitching in baseball. You can never have enough of it.

Same goes with RH C with size. Which is why I was on the Seguin side of the Taylor/Tyler debate, although I think both players are very good,

So Traktor,

What makes a good player?

What makes Tom Gilbert a bad player?

Put yourself out there for a change.

62. leadfarmer says:

Ribs,

The remainder of the team will now be known as THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE TANK JOB

Traktor,

To be more clear, here’s an example.

I think we actually have similar opinions on the need for size in the forwards.

Where I think we differ is that rather than saying “dump Gagner”, I’d rather keep him until there is a better alternative on the team.

Its one thing to want to improve the team, but trading away your best options just creates other holes.

I think the Oilers sorely need a C like Carter to compliment RNH, but to dump what they currently have without having a replacement is just poor management.

64. DerekZ says:

Please don’t be obtuse like Bruce. It’s annoying and doesn’t contribute anything to the discussion.

I tar everyone who continues to defend the current group of management monkeys with the same brush. You know that and anything less from your keyboard is not just annoying, it’s an insult.

DerekZ:

Derek, when you bring season ticket holders into the conversation then your comments on same are fair game. Are we to treat you differently than we would have in the past?

I don’t know how long this has been out, but interesting stuff from Terry Jones

67. nathan says:

If he doesn’t know he’s coming back he sure argued his case. Compare the sheltered part of the season to the less sheltered ending. He made the young guys earn their minutes. Shoe is on the other foot now.

nathan:

It’s been a strange year for Renney. I’d like to kick him to the curb over the handling of Gagner and Paajarvi early, but the other kids did well and you can see something of a plan. I’m not sure if his “in game” ability is comparable to the killers in the western conference but maybe he’s learning on the go.

I miss MacT.

I don’t know how long this has been out, but interesting stuff from Terry Jones

Strong stuff.

Jones ends with:

They failed this season. Not the kids. (saying the veterans failed)

Management who brought these guys in comes away without a mention again.

Woodguy: Strong stuff.

Jones ends with:

They failed this season. Not the kids. (saying the veterans failed)

Management who brought these guys in comes away without a mention again.

I expect not, but the lack of news re: Tambellini and Renney leaves one wondering if Lowe is out or farther in? It’s like Bizarro Godfather. :-)

71. mattwatt says:

DerekZ,

I am sorry Derek, I just cannot get on board with your view. As to why one attends a game goes beyond the product on the ice. As Lowetide stated, tickets for the games (and often the one’s I receive from friends are for this intent) are seen as just another avenue of promotion/advertising for a business. I see nothing wrong with this. It is the individual’s money and it is up to them to decide on how to spend it.

To conclude that those who buy tickets are fiercly supporting the current regime is foreign to me. Yes, I wish there was fewer sellouts so that current and prior results had a greater effect on the financial success of the club. But if that was the case, it would imply that those who purchased tickets were diehards fans who only cared about win or losses. That is not the case. Many buy tickets because they always have. Many buy tickets/skyboxes to woo clients. Many buy tickets because their kids love going to the games. Many buy tickets because they just have the funds that allow them to make such a purchase. You can argue that they are ignorant for doing this and your argument would be right. They are certainly not making an informed decision. However, as human history shows not all decisions are informed. This is the reality.

To paint all those who buy tickets as in some way defending management is to not look at the bigger picture; tickets serve as more than a vehicle of club support. Their usages are many, and those buying them are allowed to decide what benefit they serve, as they see fit.

Lowetide is not being obtuse nor insulting you, he is just stating reality. If you think what he wrote was offensive, so be it. But if you are unable to see the other side, then I don’t know what else to tell you. For a business, like selling hockey tickets, has many sides to it.

Keep up the good work and do not go quiet into the night.

72. delooper says:

Well, some of the veterans have been doing pretty much everything asked of them, specifically Smyth, Jones, Gagner, Schultz.

And Smid since he’s a defenceman should really be considered one of the kids that’s playing above-and-beyond what is reasonable expectations. Same with Petry.

73. DSF says:

Lowetide: It’s interesting, isn’t it? The one thing that kind of stands out though is that no one is signed for next year outside MBS and the scouts (if I’m reading all of this correctly). Is Katz going to turn things over this summer?

Very curious.

You would think Renney wouldn’t be addressing these issues if he knew he was done at the end of the season.

His use of the words cancer and poison would seem to indicate the rift in the dressing room is still a reality and I’m thinking he’s turning his guns on Horcoff, Hemsky and perhaps even Smyth.

Was listening to Spector and Cam Cole talk on the radio the other day and neither could remember a coach and/or GM going this late into the season without a contract and coming back the next season.

Given how things are done at Oiler HQ, I’d expect more “re-assignment of roles” rather than out and out house cleaning.

If there is one thing this organization is loathe to do, is admit mistakes.

Remember Renney saying at his PC when he was announced as Head Coach that he “wouldn’t have accepted the job if Pat Quinn wasn’t on board with it”, and Tambellini nodding in the background? Then OTC throws them all under the bus from his golf cart refuting everything they said? Pure gold and standard operating procedure with these guys.

The closest thing to a public mea cupla was Lowe stating he had “clarity” in the first Oil Change episode, then everyone at the senior management/ownership dinner table laughing.

I think something is going to happen, but I don’t have a clue what.

75. Schitzo says:

To chime in as a season ticket holder, I would like nothing more than for the entire management team to have pink slips on their desk. But from where I sit, the value of sending a message by cancelling my tickets is outweighed by the cost of trying to get tickets again when the team is actually any good. I only go to ten games a year and so losing seniority, especially with the new arena apparently on the horizon, isn’t worth the hassle to me. Plus, I would have to find another group of guys to split my tickets with when I bought back in. For a pair of seats in the nosebleeds, I’d just as soon spend the $325 knowing full well it’s a tacit endorsement of the product on the ice. (The $325 comes from the fact that it’s $2600 for the pair, divided by four is $650, with me and my dad splitting the cost).

So I’ll keep renewing, and every year when the season ticket holder survey comes around I will keep using words like “disgraceful”, “laughing stock”, “hopeless”, “embarrassing” and “old boys club”. Who knows, maybe somebody actually even reads the surveys.

76. delooper says:

I’m so pissed off with the Oilers I left the city!! Gave away every season ticket I had, as well.

DSF: Very curious.

When he went on his first rant about leadership, Eager got the shitty end of the stick, now its Belanger.

Not that the others are immune, but to see what a coach is thinking, ice time is usually a pretty good indicator

78. rich says:

In all his comments regarding the vets, does anyone else find it odd that only now is Renney throwing them (certain ones or all of them?) under the bus in stating that it’s the kids team now?

Takes me back to the schism in the locker room at the end of the MacT era between a different group of vets/kids.

At some point isn’t the coach responsible for this? Or is he doing this because he’s not happy with the vets that Vish/v3.5 brought in and perhaps this is an attempt to make a case for what he’ll do if he is brought back?

Doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy either way.

79. DSF says:

Woodguy: I think that to figure out who Renney is talking about, you look at one of his only weapons, ice time.

Speaking of respectable, DB working on a 3 point night in the second period.

DSF: Could be but it appears a lot of vets are mailing it in while the kids to their damnedest to be respectable.

Speaking of respectable, DB working on a 3 point night in the second period.

Agreed.

Perhaps Smyth is resisting being slotted at 3LW (as well as resisting what the Oilers are offering for a contract)

Belanger is probably not happy with a 4C role, although Renney gave him piles of ice time for most of the year with no results.

Not sure what was promised Eager when he signed.

Don’t think Horcoff would have any reason to bitch.

Don’t see Hemsky being in that position either.

DB is a good player, no doubt.

The type of forward the Oilers lack, which is why I’ve stated I’d do Hemsky straight up for him given who else is on the Oilers.

81. DSF says:

Woodguy: Agreed.

Not sure what was promised Eager when he signed.

Don’t think Horcoff would have any reason to bitch.

Don’t see Hemsky being in that position either.

DB is a good player, no doubt.

Hemsky strikes me as a moody fella so who the hell knows what’s on his mind.

What would you add to Hemsky to try and get Brown?

He’s exactly the player the Oilers need.

DSF: I can see Horcoff has his nose out of joint with being shunted to the third line. I recall the statements he made about how he “deserved” to be a first line centre based on his offensive production.

Hemsky strikes me as a moody fella so who the hell knows what’s on his mind.

What would you add to Hemsky to try and get Brown?

He’s exactly the player the Oilers need.

83. bookje says:

Hemsky strikes me as a moody fella so who the hell knows what’s on his mind.

What would you add to Hemsky to try and get Brown?

He’s exactly the player the Oilers need.

I agree, Horcoff may be a bit bitter now that the rebuild is here and he is seeing a diminished role in it. He also may be of the mindset that he would have another 20 pts if he got the protection (by the coach) that the kids did. Horcoff was identified as part of the Souray cabal during Culture Change 1.0. Now that we are on culture change 2.0, I wonder if he is on the side of good (the kids) or evil (not sure who this is now that the dressing room staff are gone). Maybe he and Belanger trade war stories while getting hip replacements together or something.

Maybe they should bring Struwick back?

Maybe Omark should shave those sideburns and declare that he is now awesome at being good in the room – maybe put a video of him on YouTube showing him involved in conflict resolution and team building.

Man, I can’t wait till October.

bookje: I agree, Horcoff may be a bit bitter now that the rebuild is here and he is seeing a diminished role in it.He also may be of the mindset that he would have another 20 pts if he got the protection (by the coach) that the kids did.Horcoff was identified as part of the Souray cabal during Culture Change 1.0.Now that we are on culture change 2.0, I wonder if he is on the side of good (the kids) or evil (not sure who this is now that the dressing room staff are gone). Maybe he and Belanger trade war stories while getting hip replacements together or something.

Maybe they should bring Struwick back?

Man, I can’t wait till October.

This summer will be pretty interesting too.

85. DSF says:

Woodguy: I wouldn’t add anything unless something inconsequential like a 5th or Tuebert if it gets the deal done.

It wouldn’t get it done.

Brown is a much more complete and durable player.

Hits, kills penalties and is a 5 time 20+ goal scorer. (Career high 33)

Hemsky, if healthy, might be able to put up a few more points but nothing else.

86. DSF says:

bookje:

Man, I can’t wait till October.

The paen of the Oilers fan. :)

87. speeds says:

Pretty good night on the out of town scoreboard for the Oilers draft standings. TB, TOR and MIN win, MON picks up a point.

88. DSF says:

Ray Whitney has 75 points.

Jeebus.

DSF: It wouldn’t get it done.

Brown is a much more complete and durable player.

Hits, kills penalties and is a 5 time 20+ goal scorer. (Career high 33)

Hemsky, if healthy, might be able to put up a few more points but nothing else.

I think it might.

Hemsky is what the Kings are missing.

90. DSF says:

Woodguy: I think it might.

Hemsky is what the Kings are missing.

How so?

10G 35P -12 would indicate otherwise.

LA would be giving up 21G 52P +18 , a great penalty killer and the second most prolific hitter in the league.

Hemsky might rebound and hit 60-70 points but he brings nothing else to the party except an additional $2M in cap hit.

91. Schitzo says:

DSF: .

Hemsky strikes me as a moody fella so who the hell knows what’s on his mind.

I don’t disagree, but I would hope that Hemsky realizes that when you look at all of the possible line combos among our top 5 or 6 forwards, the term “first liner” is kind of fluid. Whatever line is scoring can be the “first line” that night.

92. DSF says:

Schitzo: I don’t disagree, but I would hope that Hemsky realizes that when you look at all of the possible line combos among our top 5 or 6 forwards, the term “first liner” is kind of fluid.Whatever line is scoring can be the “first line” that night.

I would think his assignment to the second PP unit might weigh on his mind since he has always wanted to be “the guy”.

93. regwald says:

Further to the season ticket holder comments above. I’ve been a season ticket holder (for the 3rd time) since the ’06 playoff run. I am frustrated at management primarily due to their treatment of season ticket holders in that I don’t believe we get good value for the dollar. We had to endure increasing ticket prices for a non-competitive, non-cap team. They have taken our renewals for granted.

So, you may ask why do I continue to renew. I do it for that faint glimmer of hope like the Nuge’s hat trick, Ganger’s 8 point night, spanking of Chicago. What I do is I share tickets with friends. I actually only attended about a dozen games this year. About 25 the year before and probably 30 the year before that.

Not sure what I will do this season as far as games attended, but I do feel a bit more optimistic when it came to my renewal this year. The last two years I was on the fence right up until the last day for renewal.

94. spoiler says:

Interesting words by Renney, but they’re still probably nothing more than a kick in the ass, a call out to step up. That was a bad effort last night. The vets look complacent, willing to play out the string, when they should be leading the way and demonstrating how to play for their crest and their fans and their teammates.

Instead it seems like the kids are the forwards who hate to lose; who are desperate to win every game.

Consistency is one of those things this team really needs to learn. There’s no way the coach should put up with anyone taking nights off in the position the team is in.

95. stevezie says:

DSF: How so?

I’m going to have to take WG’s side on ths one. What the Kings are missing is any kind of speed on their attack. Their forwards are talented, but no one is particularily fast. Hemsky is also unpredictable, whereas the Kings are as ground and pound as it gets. The Kinds aren’t just good, they’re fantastic on paper., but clearly the results aren’t there. I will fully admit to watching 5> of their games this year so I’m no expert, but it seems like one unpredictable fast player is exactly what they lack.
    Since Brown is the captain and Hemsky is having a bad year I strongly doubt they’d do it. I still think it would benefit them.
    I will add that I fully acknowledge that Hemsky is having a bad year, but I think you’re putting too much stock in this one bad year. His body of work suggests a very good player, and you talk about him like he’s not even an adequate one. The difference between a 50 point player and a 70 point player is huge.

96. stevezie says:

Jesse: … I’m positive it was a simple, accidental spelling mistake, buy I feel the need to point out the world of difference between the root word “fellate” and “fallacy”. Maybe my mind is in the gutter, and it’s not even a real word, “fellacious” seems to imply the former….

I stand by what I said.

97. Schitzo says:

regwald:

Not sure if you were at the meet-and-greet last month, but I loved it when Laforge addressed ticket price hikes by explaining that the expenses have to get paid, regardless of the on-ice outcome.

Which is a valid point, but it conveniently ignores that we’re well below the cap because of all the ELCs. Although i guess all those buyouts DO add up. Glad I’ll be paying 2% more next year directly to Sheldon Souray.

98. cabbiesmacker says:

speeds:

RNH, Khokhlachev, Rattie, St.Croix

vs. EDM’s picks of:

RNH, Klefbom, Musil, Perhonen

99. cabbiesmacker says:

Oops. Senility kicking in again. Sry speeds. Meant Saad over Rattie or Musil, the third picks shown.

Hawks were lucky to get him there imo and I thought it a bit odd they took him AFTER the Danault and Clendening picks although the latter had a pretty decent year at Boston. Time will tell I guess.

100. speeds says:

cabbiesmacker: Interesting. No love for Brandon Saad ? I had him ahead of the last two you mention speeds as well as the last two we ended up getting. Could have been the power forward type this team needs so badly.

I had Khokhlchev 12th, Rattie 23rd, and Saad 29th. I didn’t expect Saad would bring that much offence this season, fair to say I’d have had him rated a bunch higher had I seen that coming.

101. Schitzo says:

speeds: I had Khokhlchev 12th, Rattie 23rd, and Saad 29th.I didn’t expect Saad would bring that much offence this season, fair to say I’d have had him rated a bunch higher had I seen that coming.

I’ll admit, I had no idea who e Russian kid was until about 90 seconds ago. Seems like he’s barely treading water this year compared to last, did something else change for him?

102. speeds says:

Schitzo: I’ll admit, I had no idea who e Russian kid was until about 90 seconds ago.Seems like he’s barely treading water this year compared to last, did something else change for him?

I would agree that he didn’t take the step forward many might have expected. That said, a couple mitigating factors:

(1) He missed a bunch of games to end the year with a kidney injury. I don’t think he played after the injury, if so it didn’t affect his PPG but did affect his GP and totals.
    (2) Windsor dropped from 280 GF in 2010/11 to 213 GF in 2011/12.

Khokhlachev was a bit of a projection pick, in that he was one of the youngest players in the draft (about 10 and a half months younger than Saad, for example) along with being a European adjusting to the NA game.

I wouldn’t rate him ahead of Saad now, but I think it’s fair to say that, in a re-draft, a number of teams might rate Saad significantly higher than they did a year ago. Maybe even CHI, the team that drafted him.

103. art vandelay says:

Is everyone in Edmonton that hard up for entertainment?
    You know, every game is on TV these days, right?

104. bookje says:

Gm and Coach contract – any chance that the team simply hasn’t announced new contracts because they know there is some fan anger out there and they have already had numerous cancellations with attached notes ranting about Tambellini and Lowe?

What is the measure of a succesful summer – I think it is picking up either one top d-man + a mid level goalie or two solid d-men plus a mid-level goalie. The rest is tinkering.

They need some veteran help up front too. Someone from the Pisani-Dvorak tree.