COREY POTTER 11-12: POCAHONTAS

Corey Potter was the last signing on  a very eventful July 1st–and he ended up stealing the entire show. For awhile. Is there another gear?

Corey Potter 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.60 (5th among Oil D, 141st in NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.00 (3rd among Oil D, 38th in NHL)
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: 5th best available among D
  • Corsi Rel: 4.1 (2nd best among D)
  • Zone Start: 54.3% (easiest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 48.9% (4th best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 98 shots/4.1% (4th among Oil D>40shots)
  • Boxcars: 62, 4-17-21
  • Plus Minus: -16 on a team that was -26
  1. What do these numbers tell us? He’s a good puck mover, has size and delivered pretty well offensively. His defense was good to begin and a train wreck by the end of the year. It was all over the map. You could pick 5 games and call him anything. It was a weird mix.
  2. How could these numbers be better? Don’t think we should expect much more. Soft parade all the way, he had some nice 5×5 and 5×4 numers and a CorsiRel you could get behind. That role is likely going to Ryan Murray or Martin Marincin or Justin Schultz this coming season, so he’ll have to beat out the future from here on it.
  3. Renney put him in a position to succeed. Sure, Potter was a minor league veteran, a fringe guy. I think the Oilers certainly got their money’s worth and I’m fine with the contract he signed. They can bury him in the minors or maybe he shows enough to push someone else down the line.
  4. Potter had a weird season. As I said, he looked very good to start the season (went 9gp, 1-6-7 E in October) but by mid-November he was struggling (although not alone) and then he was injured (ankle) middle November and wasn’t the same again. Ended the season with a concussion.
  5. He got beat up some. Yeah, that happens to defensemen in the NHL. Oilers are one of the few organizations who don’t seem to plan for it, damndest thing.
  6. Well that’s not really fair, think of Fedun. Look, if you’re counting on Potter and Fedun every year then its going to be long winters until death do us part.
  7. What are you talking about? The roster gap between good players and bad players. The Expos used to do this, they’d have Carter behind the plate, Raines in left and Dawson in center and those guys were top drawer, way above average. Then they’d slide a very poor regular in at second like Doug Flynn or bring Dan Driessen in to play first base. Just the stupidest possible things.
  8. What does it mean? It means that as much as Taylor Hall is going to do that helps you win games, you’re giving it all back with Doug Flynn.
  9. Or Corey Potter. Well, I’m not picking on him but yeah Corey Potter.
  10. You just can’t allow a good story to grow can you? You’re such a dink. I said I was fine with the contract, but this isn’t a solution–it’s binder twine and a shoe lace.
  11. Harsh. I don’t mean it to be, but the additions last summer–Barker, Sutton and Potter–weren’t good enough. If Steve Tambellini wants to be here for the good times, he’ll need to do much better.
  12. Oilers didn’t even plan on having Potter on the team. Sure they did, at least a little. Potter was signed on July 1, part of a day that brough in an enormous risk (Barker) an older man (Sutton). Potter has some size and foot speed, they probably didn’t want to be forced into using the AHL kids too much in the NHL. If one of them passed Potter, great. If not, you’ve got the minor league veteran on hand.
  13. You seriously think they thought Potter had a chance. I bet you Tom Renney did, he knew him from his time in the Rangers organization. If you look at the training camp depth chart, there’s not a massive jump from the 5-6-7  NHL defenders to Potter, and they hired Cam Barker and that was a risk too. Binder twine and shoe laces.
  14. How did it look for him last fall? In the RE series item on him I wrote “(he’s in competition for NHL work with) Petry and Chorney and that’s certain. If the Oilers make a decision to send down Chorney no matter the waiver worry AND want Petry to start in OKC then I think Potter has a job nailed down. The top 6D might be Whitney-Barker, Smid-Gilbert, Sutton-Peckham with Potter waiting for an injury. Potter wouldn’t mind, buddy’s cashing in big time.” That’s how it looked and Potter did a little better than the Oilers original bet, but it wasn’t impossible to see from August.
  15. What is his role now? Mini-Staios, he’s a back of the roster player or an AHL vet who can help mentor the kids. Those guys are just so valuable, if you read and bio’s about defensemen there’s always some yob who no one ever heard of but the guy in the NHL named his first son after him.
  16. You suggested Petry would be top 4 in 12-13, where would you guess Potter will play? I think he’s going to be in tough to make the team out of camp. Edmonton will probably add an actual NHL defenseman to the group that includes Whitney, Smid, Schultz and Petry. Of course, they can’t count on Whitney, so that means there are still 4 slots that are in play. Those slots might go to Sutton (pretty certain), Potter (he’s in the range), Theo Peckham (we’ll talk about later) and AHLers Teubert and Plante will be in there somewhere too–plus Marincin.
  17. So it depends on Whitney’s health? That and Peckham and where his head is at, what Marincin looks like in camp, the quality of the defender Tambellini brings in and the first round pick may also be a defender. There are a lot of variables.
  18. So 50/50? I’ll say less. Starting 7 from here (for me) would be Smid, Petry, Schultz, Whitney, the new ST hire, Sutton and the first rounder might end up being a plug and play.
  19. A plug and play? Yeah. A player who could make the club out of camp and begin his NHL career straight from the draft. Or maybe Marincin kicks out the jams.
  20. This version of Pocahontas, you can’t hear the vocal. Crazy mix, just like Potter’s season.

61 Responses to "COREY POTTER 11-12: POCAHONTAS"

1. ItsTheBGB says:

Potter came out of the gate flying, but I doubt that is his play. Completely unsustainable. What we saw in the second half is probably the norm: an AHL player with his head under water. A damn shame we will probably go to war with him as a top 7 option.

2. stevezie says:

“This version of Pocahontas, you can’t hear the vocal. Crazy mix, just like Potter’s season.”

I was wondering where the connection was, and then bam, it all makes sense.

I hope we acquire two legit defenders this summer and push Potter down. If he forces the issue than God bless him, but counting on him to make the best two months of his life his new norm would be grounds for firing. Sure was good those two months though.

3. spoiler says:

Injury is a consideration here. I’d also be curious to know his PDO number, seeing that Corsi.

Having a guy like Potter on the roster is useful. Isn’t depth what we’re looking for? I don’t mind this guy as an injury fill-in. We don’t have a lot of point shooter options on the depth chart without risking a raw rookie next year.

4. BlacqueJacque says:

Corey Potter as a depth signing? Awesome.

Corey Potter as one of our 6 rotation defencemen? Not so hot.

As you point out, the Oilers seem to have some sort of mental palsy when it comes to expecting injuries, in particular on the blue line. One of several reasons why it’s so frustrating cheering for this team.

BlacqueJacque:
    Corey Potter as a depth signing?Awesome.

Corey Potter as one of our 6 rotation defencemen?Not so hot.

As you point out, the Oilers seem to have some sort of mental palsy when it comes to expecting injuries, in particular on the blue line.One of several reasons why it’s so frustrating cheering for this team.

So are Oilers management any different than the fanboys who only want to draft shiny forwards?

6. Ducey says:

I am truly confused when I see how people assess players like this.

Not supposed to see them good. Supposed to look at math. Got it.

Here is a guy with the 2nd best Rel Corsi on the team among D, he is a rookie and I’m supposed to believe he is a scrub. Is the math just a fancy way of justifying “saw him good”?

And where does this notion come from that he sucked in the 2nd half? He was -12 pre all star and -4 post all star. His points per half went down from 16 to 5 in the second half but this was entirely as result of his PP points going from 10 to 1 (pre all star to post all star).

The guy’s chances to score went down because he was not being used as much on the PP and that means he struggled?

Not trying to be a jerk, but how do you say he doesn’t belong on the team?

7. spoiler says:

Well, he’s a 27 yo rookie, so what you see, on ice or the stats column, is likely what you get.

But at $535k, I’d like to know how the Potter signing is not preparing for injury and adding depth.

Here’s a guy who can fill-in PP minutes, and not kill you defensively and costs eff all.

Now when there’s a logjam of kids needing looksees, we have a different story, but we’re probably a year away from that.

In questions 2–in response to “how can these numbers be better?”–I wrote “Don’t think we should expect much more.” And his Rel Corsi was WAY better in the first half, and mostly due to the start as mentioned here

9. Gerta Rauss says:

Potter’s fine as a 7/8 guy and the one you expose to waivers if it comes to that.I hope they keep 8D on the roster with Peckham and Barker out and (new guy) and (new young guy) in.

And I thought I’d throw this out there just because.

spoiler:

Really? I think there’s room for one rookie on the 12-13 blue:

1. Smid
    2. Petry
    3. Whitney
    4. Schultz
    5. Tambellini’s hire
    6. Sutton
    7. Rookie/Peckham/Potter

Unless we see Potter as something more than that?

11. Gerta Rauss says:

Schultz-new vet D
    Smid-Petry
    Whitney-new young D

Sutton-Potter

Those are my D pairings if I’m GM.Justin Schultz would fit the “new young D” role nicely.Potter plays that spot if we only carry 7D.

Anybody else having problems with the page loading..?I’m getting hung on the Potter photo loading but it could be my crappy internet connection.

I’m having the same problem, had it with the Petry photo this morning too. Blast! Klesla just took a missile to the face. Anyone remember Ted Harris’ nose? Man. It was a highway.

Great version of the song, Gerta. Terrific vocal by that young woman.

13. Gerta Rauss says:

I don’t know if you changed anything LT but it’s loading faster now. Stupid internet.

That’s Crash Vegas btw with their version of Pocahontas. Early 90s band out of TO.

Is the singer famous for anything else. Lovely voice.

15. Gerta Rauss says:

Not that I’m aware of-Michelle MacAdorey on vocals but I have’t heard anything from her since the bands demise.The early bass player Jocelyn Lanois is Daniel Lanios’ sister.The guitar player has the longevity in the music scene moving from Crash Vegas to Kathleen Edwards guitarist/husband(now ex) and he is now playing with Jim Cuddy’s solo band. A quick Wiki search Crash Vegas has more info.

Oh-and if you were anywhere near in radio in the summer of ’94 you probably heard their single Lodestar(on and on)…youtube it.

16. DSF says:

Great version of the song, Gerta. Terrific vocal by that young woman.

I’m guessing you’re adding very large photos and it’s taking WordPress a long time to load them.

If you reduce them in size before posting they should load much faster.

17. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Really? I think there’s room for one rookie on the 12-13 blue:

1. Smid
    2. Petry
    3. Whitney
    4. Schultz
    5. Tambellini’s hire
    6. Sutton
    7. Rookie/Peckham/Potter

Unless we see Potter as something more than that?

Nope, don’t see him as more than as a depth guy. But… No decision has been made by the organization on Peckham as it stands right now. I also hope if Teddy’s replaced, it’s by someone who can play in the top 6. That might be a rookie, it might not.

18. spoiler says:

This site NEVER loads promptly on my mobile. It’s often close to a minute, especially when the article is media-heavy.

19. spoiler says:

I’d also hope they give Marincin some time in the A, before promoting him to the bigs and he’s the only rookie in the system, other than Teubert that I can see having a shot.

I don’t think there’s any chance the Oil pass on Yakupov unless its in a trade for an established NHL Dman. I think the odds of them trading down for a Dman, considering what they will have given up in Nail, remote at best.

Speeds has me convinced.

20. Gerta Rauss says:

I hope you’re right spoiler-the Schenn and #5 pick proposals send shivers down my spine.Not because I think Schenn is poor player but you don’t trade the #1 pick for a developing D and a #5 pick. They better get $1.25 on the dollar if they trade 1 overall.

21. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss:

I think they’d rather trade a player for the Dman they need. That’s my guess, but I don’t see how they can manage the optics of trading away a pick, Yakupov, who looks as good as any of our wunderkinds.

And if they get Schenn, why take a Dman at #5?

22. DSF says:

Gerta Rauss:

With Luongo likely heading to Toronto, I would imagine Burke’s pick would only be in play if he could add another piece he actually needs…i.e…a centre.

I would imagine Burke is looking at Grigorenko.

23. spoiler says:

I have to give credit to Gary Bettman. He has his team playing pretty damn well.

24. Gerta Rauss says:

DSF,

Well I hope you’re right-it’s Weber or bust for me.

25. spoiler says:

DSF: I seriously doubt Burke would be interested in that kind of deal either…it just doesn’t address any of his team’s needs.

I would imagine Burke is looking at Grigorenko.

26. DSF says:

spoiler: I don’t think Burke would turn his nose up at Yakupov. But I don’t think he’d be willing to give up those kinds of assets for him. He can get a centre for nothing, or use the pick to get Luongo, if needed.

Exactly.

27. DSF says:

Gerta Rauss:
    DSF,

Well I hope you’re right-it’s Weber or bust for me.

Sounds like a bust then :)

28. "Steve Smith" says:

That is a nice version, Gerta (and it’s from the precursor tribute album to the one I mentioned a few posts back, with the sweet version of Thrasher), but – without meaning to deprive Crash Davis of any credit – this is one of those songs that just can’t sound bad. It’s such a spectacularly beautiful song. It’s like Hallelujah: even Cohen does it well. Or, in this case, Neil Young.

In that sense, Pocahontas is the Jordan Eberle of Neil Young songs.

29. DSF says:

Why I love Dustin Penner:

Bill Simmons ‏ @sportsguy33

So @dustinpenner25 joined Twitter + made http://www.ihop.com his home page. Outstanding. Come on Kings fans, embrace Penner already.

30. Gerta Rauss says:

DSF: Sounds like a bust then

Is the singer famous for anything else. Lovely voice.

Being the girl in Blue Rodeo’s “Try” video.

32. stevezie says:

Gerta Rauss:

I didn’t know Michelle MacAdorey was in a band. I have a solo album of hers that I think is pretty good, it’s called Whirl. I bought it on a whim when a local record store was going out of business. I’ll have to look up this Crash Vegas.

33. eidy says:

I am also hopeful that Toronto has no interest in #1. I was thinking of another star that needs to be moved for toronto’s #5.

I suspect they would be more interested in Nash than anyone else. Something similar to the Carter trade. Nash to the leafs and #5, decent prospect and a 3rd to columbus. BJ’s will be looking to reload and having the 2 and 5th picks may do that. Obviously Nash isn’t happy and this may work for them.

As for Montreal, I suspect that if Roy becomes GM/Coach/King of the world that he would take his centre from the Q. Would look awful if he was in charge and passed on Grigorenko. Best player out of the Q.

The only way I see trading Yakupov is if you take him first and then Murray is available later and someone trades you for him at that point. You can’t trade before and hope he falls, too risky.

34. whale says:

Gerta Rauss: We both know that Weber to the Oilers is a wet dream-I guess my point is that if NSH actually decides to move him I think #1 overall actually gets you in the conversation(we would have to add of course)

When did Nashville realize they had a “Weber” in their system?

35. Gerta Rauss says:

whale,

I don’t know what that means-do you mean this?

36. DSF says:

whale: When did Nashville realize they had a “Weber” in their system?

I would imagine it was in his 20 year old season when he scored 10 points in 28 games and was +8.

He followed that up with a 40 point +13 season at the age of 21.

37. Ryan says:

Wow, couldn’t believe my eyes at this

Am I seeing things?

As for LT”s views on players… :)

Loves Omark… Hates Potter?

The math doesn’t like Omark much. 25 y/o, 5/10 ish (probably 5’9), maybe 175 lbs. PPG player in the AHL. 8th best 5v4 /60 on the Oilers last year. Doesn’t kill penalties.

Omark’s a top six style player who just isn’t good enough to crack the top six on any team in the NHL that I can think of, well, might be a fit for a team like Calgary. :o

I agree that Omark’s an entertaining player to watch, but I don’t see him as the type that wins hockey games for any team in the league.

As fans of the Oilers during the dead roster era, we were loathe to give up on guys who showed some skill. I was a fan of Rowbear and he probably had more potential than Omark (though Rowbear was a big time perimeter player).

Neilson, Schremp, Pouliot, Brule, then Omark. Not exactly a murder’s row of offensive talent. How could we dare cut bait on this talent?

As for the genius of Mike Gillis, I don’t think he could have pump and dumped Omark even on a roster like the Canuck for much. On the Oilers, trying to make him look like an asset while sheltering the kids etc probably wasn’t feasible.

Potter looked all world for a very brief stint in time at the begging of the season. Either he nursed an injury for the rest of the year or he’s a reasonable option to have in the AHL for an injury call-up. Potter’s a potential solution to a problem while Omark is a potential power play option in the SEL or KHL…

38. "Steve Smith" says:

Explain again why he can’t play on the third or fourth line.

39. Gerta Rauss says:

“Steve Smith”: That is a nice version, Gerta (and it’s from the precursor tribute album to the one I mentioned a few posts back, with the sweet version of Thrasher), but – without meaning to deprive Crash Davis of any credit – this is one of those songs that just can’t sound bad

Are you sure about that Steve?

Ryan,

Your link doesn’t work.

41. "Steve Smith" says:

Gerta Rauss,

I take some measure of satisfaction from the knowledge that I caused you to scour YouTube for the worst rendition you could find.

(And frankly, I defy you to find another song whose worst amateur cover on YouTube is that good.)

Gerta,

Oh my.

43. "Steve Smith" says:

Ryan,

Your link doesn’t work.

Also, your line of argument.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

“Steve Smith”,

I stumbled across a dreadful version of this song several years ago but a quick scour failed to locate the offending version.I’ll leave you with the original.

45. bookje says:

Crash Vegas is one of my favourite bands that nobody has ever heard of.

“The Loved One” is another – they were an 1990′s Edmonton Band that disappeared when they went off to Vancouver. They did the most amazing show at the Space Sciences Centre – stunning event. Was anyone else from here there?

46. Gerta Rauss says:

bookje,

Aurora was the soundtrack of my summer of ’95(I think I said ’94 earlier,my bad)
    We wore that CD out.

There are a bunch of NY covers I love from over the years. Here’s one. Beautiful voice.

48. bookje says:

LT – at the end of that Crash Vegas Video there are some other Crash Vegas links – it’s probably worth taking the time to click a few.

To be fair, I think I am biased after seeing them play some bar/pup shows with like 20-30 people there in tiny little shithole bars.

49. Gerta Rauss says:

I meant to post this in the Hartikanen thread,but here is my favorite cover of After the gold rush

I’m not going to use this song for the series but this is a strange cool video.

51. bookje says:

I’m not going to use this song for the series but this is a strange cool video.

LT – If you are going to cover Oiler’s Management and their current status, you could probably use that video.

52. oilersfan says:

For once in my life I agree with DSF

The Leafs don’t need a winger, they have Kessel and Lupul . They need big forwards and a good center to play with Kessel and Lupul. They will be happy to draft Galchenyuk and will sign Penner in the summer .

They will trade Schenn straight up for Luongo and that will be a trade that helps both teams.

53. BlacqueJacque says:

oilersfan,

I’m totally with you on that logic train, but… hasn’t Burke said he’ll try for the pick? Or at least I’ve heard a lot of rumors/call for him doing so.

54. Ryan says:

Hm, not sure why the link doesn’t work, sorry.

It’s the Justin Schultz Draft Prospect Card at NHL.com

It says:

….

“FAVORITES

NHL Team: Vancouver Canucks
    NHL Player: Anaheim’s Scott Niedermayer
    Shootout move: “Crosby’s fake shot, backhand shelf”
    Goal celebration: “one hand in air”
    Practice Drill: 2-on-2
    Video Game: Guitar Hero III
    Movie: Superbad
    TV Show: King of Queens
    Actor: Adam Sandler
    Groups: Finger Eleven and Nickelback
    Website: http://www.bchl.bc.ca
    Book: Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    Pump-up song: “Welcome to Rainbow” by Basshunter
    Food to cook: Macaroni
    Sport (other than hockey): Golf
    Activity away from the rink: Going to the movies
    Toy growing up: Mini sticks
    Place to shop: American Eagle
    ***Place to visit: Edmonton”

55. Ryan says:

“Steve Smith”: Also, your line of argument.

Let’s start by agreeing about something for a change. :)

The NHL is the best league in the world… Does that work?

I won’t say that Omark’s too small or doesn’t have great footspeed (though both could be argued) and will allow that he could put up enough offense to play on a team’s 3rd line.

Instead, I’ll turn this around and let you tell me why Omark would be a good option on a team’s 3rd line when there are other players available who’re arguably bigger, faster, or can penalty kill while able to put up similar or better offensive stats.

You could take any team, but let’s look at Vancouver.

Which one of these things doesn’t belong: Chris HIggins, Jannik Hansen, Linus Omark?

56. Ryan says:

Ryan,

Oh, hockey was implied but not explicitly stated, so I’ll save you from a rant about countering with the English Premier League etc.

57. stevezie says:

Finger Eleven is worse than Nickleback, but I can look past that.

58. Ryan says:

What are the chances that we can replace Renney / Tambo with Don Maloney, Dave Ti[ppett and whoever is in charge of professional scouting for the Desert Dogs? :)

59. russ99 says:

I’d be very curious to see a comparison between fill-in Corey Potter’s numbers and the highly acclaimed Tom Gilbert.

To start:

Potter: 62 4-17-21 -16
    Gilbert: 67 3-19-22 -8

I’ll let the math geeks continue.

60. loosemoose says:

The math says Potter was okay. His point totals were decent (for a fill in, actually really good)

But damned if I didn’t see him get spun like a top two-three times a game.

He seems like a bigger version of MA Bergeron…..

61. Rube Foster says:

I had all of the Crash Vegas cassette tapes. Anyone remember cassette tapes. Difficult now to explain the concept to my kids. Heaven forbid they find out about 8 tracks – I can hear them now “you mean they had breaks in the middle of songs on those things?!”
    Crash Vegas played a couple of great shows in Edmonton, one at Dinwoodie and one at the Power Plant if I remember correctly.
    Bookje – I also remember Kelly and the Loved One. I unfortunately missed their fabled show at the space science center and also unfortunately caught their performance at Highwood during the afternoon slot (not their finest moment) when later in the evening the Ramones played a great gig in a “cow pasture” Joey’s words not mine.