DRAFT LOTTERY–OILERS WIN!

The NHL draft lottery goes tonight and Edmonton Oiler fans could probably organize the event by now. If knowledge of the NHL draft lottery had any value we’d all be lottery winners tonight. Edmonton may pick 1, 2 or 3 overall and none other.

I don’t have much to say on the matter, it’s kind of ridiculous that Edmonton is in a position to get number one again. I’d be in favor of a rule that punishes a team when they finish in a lottery position two years in a row–God knows what I’d be in favor of in the event of a three year trip to the podium.

It’s my opinion most Oiler fans will watch tonight if only to see what Steve Tambellini looks like when he’s uncomfortable. Mike Wallace can’t interview him, but it’s a gonch twister evening for sure.

145 Responses to "DRAFT LOTTERY–OILERS WIN!"

1. FPB94 says:

I wonder if the Oilers will force the league to create an NBA like rule.

(Can’t get the 1st pick twice in a row even if you won the lottery)

2. pboy says:

I used to love watching re-runs of SCTV when I was a kid.

3. bookje says:

The Oilers are going to win the lottery – they have been too good at being bad to not win it.

Also, the law of averages makes it almost a certainty (no 29th place team has ever won it).

Also, I have always wondered what would happen if you glued a piece of toast butter side up on the back of a cat and then dropped the cat-toast combination off of a second floor balcony.

4. sliderule says:

The number one pick in NBA has way more impact on team.

A number one could play and have played the whole game.Think of Crosby or in our case Hall being able to play all three periods.

Totally different games therefor different draft rules.

5. Gret99zky says:

this is our playoffs

6. rich says:

Will we be the new Quebec Nordiques and win for a 3rd straight year?

7. DSF says:

The real drama here is to see if Burke tries to trade his lottery balls for Rick Nash.

8. DSF says:

bookje:

How many lives does toast have?

Should you average that with a cat’s?

9. Gret99zky says:

1. win lottery.
    2. draft Nail Yakupov.
    3. get rid of Horcoff by any means necessary so Nail can wear #10.
    4. profit.

10. James says:

Just saw the draft preview fluff piece on Ryan Murray, apparently he likes to play guitar. Whose songs? NEIL YOUNG’S *lightning strikes bell tower*

11. FPB94 says:

99: You forgot ???

Hate when they say a small sample changed a lot about a player in the scouts mind.

These guys should be fired.

12. FPB94 says:

Oh my lord.

13. rich says:

Fail for Nail!

14. Gret99zky says:

winner!

15. delooper says:

Oilers take it!

16. rich says:

v3.5 is assessing even as they speak.

17. jake70 says:

Poor Columbus, kick in the teeth.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Hello Mr. Maloney let’s talk about O.E.L.

19. jake70 says:

Well I don’t know who they will take but it’s sure nice being in the position to control things on the draft floor.

20. Traktor says:

hahahahahahahahahahah lolololololololool

21. delooper says:

Yakupov is from Tatarstan, and the Wikipedia page says he’s muslim. Neato. The muslims I’ve met from Tatarstan didn’t know the difference between Shiism and Suniism. Not going to worry about if I spelled that correctly.

22. danny says:

Wow.

I’ve been thinking all day that the Oilers were going to win. Wow.

We need to cut Steve Tambellinis foot off and put it on a chain. It’s lucky as hell.

Yakupov / Hopkins / Hall / Eberle

Wow.

23. delooper says:

This might be a good thing in terms of contract negotiations. One of the Oilers n (n >= 3) 1st overall picks demands the world, and the oilers can say there’s n-1 others. n is starting to get very large.

24. bookje says:

See, I totally called it – the Law of Averages is Proven Once Again – Never Fails!!

btw- the cat and toast landed perfectly sideways with neither the toast landing butter side down or the cat landing on its feet. The cat is now trying to twist around to lick the butter and I am reading about how to dissolve crazy glue. I will probably just give the cat a bath. I have never bathed it before, but I am sure it will work out well – I mean who doesn’t like a nice bath.

25. Downright Fierce says:

Well that could be a deadly, deadly starboard.

26. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Hello Mr. Maloney let’s talk about O.E.L.

You’re thinking Gagner gets us OEL? You’re a fine, fine man.

Ryan Smyth just lost some negotiating power.

Best reactions of all might just be from Calgary.

27. jake70 says:

danny:
    Wow.

I’ve been thinking all day that the Oilers were going to win. Wow.

Yakupov / Hopkins / Hall / Eberle

Wow.

LIke Button says, embarassment of riches. Tambellini’s smirky smile after the winner announced – PRICELESS.

28. Traktor says:

Gret99zky:
    1. win lottery.
    2. draft Nail Yakupov.
    3. get rid of Horcoff by any means necessary so Nail can wear #10.
    4. profit.

This.

29. hags9k says:

WOW! Interesting times ahead. Summer just got better. GOILERS!!

30. LMHF#1 says:

So you trade Gagner and Paajarvi now or…?

31. BlacqueJacque says:

Goodbye, Ales.

Hemsky has been the only player worth watching on many nights in most of the past 6 seasons. But with Eberle and now Yakupov demanding slots on the right…

32. Lois Lowe says:

At least we’ll have something to talk about on here now. They have to take Yakupov, right? Right?

33. Rondo says:

Next year we will still have a lottery pick.

34. cabbiesmacker says:

Will the Oilers really hang on to the first and draft Yakupov? Really?

35. Rondo says:

Oilers would like to get Ryan Murray and Matt Dumba out of this draft giving up #1 and ?

36. bookje says:

Murry at #1?

37. fuzzy muppet says:

In one way the Oilers winning the lottery is a bad situation.

It forces management to make moves.

I’m not exactly brimming with confidence in the current “braintrust”.

38. MrSmitty says:

Baby Jesus hates the Columbus Blue Jackets

39. gd says:

Grigerenko no pts in a 5-3 win. I’m feeling relieved he is probably no longer in the picture.

40. Traktor says:

LMHF#1:
    So you trade Gagner and Paajarvi now or…?

I think so. Yakupov projects to be a much better player and Gagner, Hemsky and MPS should have enough value to get us an established defensemen.

I think we need to trade some futures to get some grit to balance out the roster. Someone like Steve Ott would be nice.

41. bluenotenorth says:

The pitch to J Schultz to join the young Oiler forwards just got easier.

42. stevezie says:

We don’t take Murray at number 1, that is just crazy. Take any of the several recent breakdowns of drafting a d-man high, and take notice that even the guys who panne dout often did so with another team. We would be crazy to take Murray number 1.

Now, tading the pick outright? Trading down and taking Murray? Keeping the pick but trading Gagner (who I like, but boy is he on the table now) or PRV? Tambo is going to earn his money this summer. There are going to be about 25 options on the table.

43. delooper says:

What the management does with this situation is certainly must-see TV. The arrows are pointing up so rapidly you’d think the Oilers could get much better free agent signings this off-season and hopefully the defense could take care of itself if they keep on piling on the blue-chip offensive prospects.

MrSmitty:
    Baby Jesus hates the Columbus Blue Jackets

Holy man.

45. UndisclosedPersonalReasons says:

So can Yakupov play the LW?

UndisclosedPersonalReasons:
    So can Yakupov play the LW?

47. russ99 says:

As much as I want Grigorenko, you have to go Yakupov here, unless someone offers the farm.

Hopefully lots of roster spots get shaken up this season.

48. delooper says:

The only other team to take three 1st overall picks in a row the Quebec Nordiques.

49. danny says:

Just checked, and the draft day falls on the closing date for our first house. Good times :)

50. Jordan says:

Colin Campbell:
    “The winner of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft Lottery is… The Edmonton Oilers.”

…later…

Daryl Katz:
    “Now Gary, how much money do you need to keep that team in Phoenix…?”

…before the Entry Draft…

Kevin Lowe:
    “It’s too bad things aren’t working out for you in Columbus there Scott. You sure did a great job for me back when you were with our team. I know how much you wanted a cup ring… Hey, how would you like to come back and join a winning team…?

…Later still…

Garry Bettman:
    “I have a trade to announce. The Edmonton Oilers have traded the first overall pick in the 2012 entry draft, along with their 2nd selection in 2013, Shawn Horcoff, Martin Gernat/Marincin (one of the two) and Magnus Pajaarvi to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Rick Nash and the 2nd overall selection in 2012.”

…Opening night of the 2012-13 NHL season at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburg…

Steve Tambellini:
    “Okay, Stu, I think I know who we should take with that first overall pick… Stu? … Kevin…? Daryl…? Where did everyone go?

51. stevezie says:

bluenotenorth:
    The pitch to J Schultz to join the young Oiler forwards just got easier.

Totally agree. Our forward corps just became elite. I don’t think Gagner or Hemsky are guarenteed to go anywhere, but young Magnus… well he’d be fine on our third line too, I guess. Nothing is guarenteed, there are too many options. This one fact remains: Our top 6 is offensively elite. I think this massively changes our pitch to any potential free agent.

52. DBO says:

A few observation:
    - Brian Burke’s expression when they announced they had the 5th was priceless. So awesome.
    - Columbus I think is ecstatic. The whole russian thing is overblown, but with their personal history with Ruskies I expect they are happy to take Murray, and they won’t have to justify why they gave up a potential star.
    - This is the best and the scariest thing for the Oil. Opens up a ton of trade down options (too many offers running through my brain), but this management team inspires no confidence that they can make the right move.
    - Yakupov is a Left shooting RW. I hope he can play LW, but like Eric Cole (hat tip to pboy for reminding me of this) before him, some guys can’t switch wings.

If he can play LW, i say take him. But if a team like the Isles offered the #4 and Travis Hamonic, I don’t think you could turn it down.

53. UndisclosedPersonalReasons says:

Lowetide: Have no idea. Either way, they can pair him with Hall or Nuge and then the other with Eberle. This is incredible. Ass over tea kettle.

I don’t see why people are worried about what side he plays. The Oilers have room on either side. Really.

UndisclosedPersonalReasons: So where does that leave Hemsky? I can’t picture him out of the top six. Does he have trade value for a top four D?

The Oilers went into today with Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Hemsky, Gagner and everyone looking for a 6th. I’d suggested Smyth and that still makes sense, but this kid may be able to slide right in. They have all kinds of options, including (God help me) three scoring lines.

56. DBO says:

Unless the Oil actually ran the whole 3 scoring lines thing, and had the old vet line as the 3rd line.

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
    Harsky-Nuge-Eberle
    Smyth-Horc-Hemsky
    MPS-Lander/Belanger-Jones

still small, but we would score like a mofo. Who do you check.

57. fuzzy muppet says:

That is one small set of top six forwards.

58. Downright Fierce says:

Frankly, I’m already annoyed the Oilers haven’t tried Yakupov at centre yet. What’s the hold up?!

59. "Steve Smith" says:

UndisclosedPersonalReasons,

1. I think Hemsky’s current contract (as well as the kids’) is such that he can be in the top nine, if the team’s rolling three lines pretty regularly.
    2. For at least the duration of Hemsky’s current contract, the Oilers are unlikely to have a surplus of forwards who can play toughs.

If the Oilers need to give up quality to get quality on defence, I can see Hemsky being in the picture. But I can’t see trading him just because there’s no longer room for him.

60. sliderule says:

Tambo will be cutting off his own foot but not for luck.

He didn’t want to win this .He wanted to pick Murray sign justin and bask in the glory of it all.

Now he has to trade a number of our many forward prospects or sign a decent UFA defenceman.

He no longer can hide behind the “rebuild”.Three first picks and no results will come back and bite him in the arse.

61. "Steve Smith" says:

“Steve Smith”,

Lowetide and DBO both beat me too it. What they said.

62. DSF says:

Might want to temper your enthusiasm a little.

The Atlanta Thrashers drafted:

Heatley – 2000
    Kovalchuk – 2001
    Lehtonen – 2002
    Coburn – 2003

That’s in one 4 year period but they didn’t have a GM who could find his ass with both hands.

(they later added Little, Bogosian and Kane and still finished out of the playoffs).

I’ve said repeatedly that drafting is the easy part…a chimp can pick first overall.

Filling in the roster with the RIGHT players is the hard part and Tambellini has shown he has zero aptitude at that aspect of building a team.

63. DSF says:

Downright Fierce:

He’s the first one off the ice at practice.

64. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF,

Agree. I think the point that people are making, though, is that the Oilers now look set to have elite scoring at the top of the order. I don’t think anybody (here, anyway) is suggesting that that’s enough to win, and few are displaying any confidence that Tambellini can do the rest of what’s required.

65. delooper says:

@Sliderule: I think this is win-win. Take the stud offensive weapon and sign a quality defender as a free agent. IMO free agents will look at the Oilers roster and realize things are going to start happenening really soon.

66. stevezie says:

Outside of maybe an O.E.L offer, with us adding something and them adding Hanzel, I don’t see us trading down. This is just too much firepower to turn down. Unless of course they’re worried about Nail’s injury history…

I assume PRV and a D prospect will go for an elite defensive winger, but maybe we chase Ryan Murphy? I’m just throwing stuff out, I’m too excited to think clearly. Oh boy, I can’t wait for the rumours. Oh boy!

67. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”:
    DSF,

Agree.I think the point that people are making, though, is that the Oilers now look set to have elite scoring at the top of the order.I don’t think anybody (here, anyway) is suggesting that that’s enough to win, and few are displaying any confidence that Tambellini can do the rest of what’s required.

Yes, the Oilers now resemble the 2004 Atlanta Thrashers. (and even more so the 2012 NYI)

Now what?

68. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF,

The more generous are suggesting that now we see what Tambellini can do. I’m among the less generous.

69. Maverick says:

As Lowetide mention on Twitter:”OH MY GOD!!” Wow, craziness!! That was a great surprise and it will be an exciting summer. Yakopov a mini Taylor Hall, or a Pavel Bure lite?? 40 goal potential, just can’t pass that up. Move Hall to centre if they have to and trade young players Gagner, Magnus, even Hemsky to fill needs else where on the roster. More bullets to use to help the current roster. Did I mention Wow!?!

70. UndisclosedPersonalReasons says:

three scoring lines!?! madness!

Actually, I like DBO’s line-up. Harsky might not make the grade but the idea of three scoring lines with one that can play toughs sits okay with me.

That said, I still think if there’s a trade involving Hemmer and a top four D then that should be given serious consideration.

All of this is based on the assumption that Yakupov can step right in, not a sure thing.

DSF: There are ALWAYS a myriad of ways for the Oilers to screw this up. It’s going to take quite a bit, though.

72. russ99 says:

What about going after Weber with an offer sheet? It would be counter-productive to seek high first picks the next few years, after this 3-year first pick bonanza, so why not spend a few mid-low first round picks to fill our biggest need?

The only question is would Weber go for that, and would Nashville match?

73. Alice says:

/Does he play LW?

There was talk of trying 4 down the middle again, but if we want to keep Hemsky while the ELCs are still running – and god knows he’s been here for the dry spell, it would be nice to have him enjoy the spoils – maybe that Eberle kid has a shot in the middle. I know all this square peg-round hole business, but Jordan hasn’t let anybody down yet, if anyone could pull it off he might be that guy. He did play C once upon a time, or he did when hockeydb also called him 174lb.

74. "Steve Smith" says:

I disagree: all it will take is for Tambellini not to address the defence, goaltending, and fourth line issues. I think he’s equal to the task.

75. "Steve Smith" says:

russ99,

I’m not terribly plugged in; is there any talk that the RFA rules will change significantly for the next CBA?

“Steve Smith”:

I disagree: all it will take is for Tambellini not to address the defence, goaltending, and fourth line issues.I think he’s equal to the task.

lol. I was just thinking about Tambellini’s first move. “Hello, Linus?”

77. PunjabiOil says:

This is a great day – and a reminder of why I cheered on those losses all year.

What amazing luck. A 4.4% chance the Oilers would (Bruce’s point) draft 1st overall finishing 30th, 30th, and 29th.

I’m having a beer, and then I’m having another.

78. Showerhead says:

This, exactly this. A lot of people became expendable just now but those 4 players are keepers. I am so terrified that Tambellini out-evaluates himself between now and June but you’ve described exactly what EDM must do, IMO. Also, something about a cat and toast.

Lowetide: Boy, howdy. Man. Poor bastards. I’d say the Oilers have to take Yakupov and the offers almost don’t matter. Take the Russian, trade what you have to and then ride Hall-Eberle, Nuge-Yakupov to whatever glory they can manage.

Holy man.

The first thing to do is sign a Russian player who can serve as mentor. Cam Barker?

80. stevezie says:

UndisclosedPersonalReasons,

He’s a 1st overall pick, I think it’s a sure thing or he’s likely a bust. I’d rather see a vetern checking forward in there over Harty, but I’m flexible on that one.

sliderule,

Tmabo should be happy. THis certainly complicates his life, but it also raises his ceiling. He’ll now have a much easier time luring free agents. I can’t imagine this forward corps fails to lure in at least one good defenceman, even if it’s only the unproven J Schulz. If he can lure two the hard part’s done. That’s before anyone even mentions trade.

this seems idiot-proof, he said nervously. (The difference between us and Atlanta is Coburn and Lehtonen didn’t get good for a few years. Elite forwards start out good and very quickly get better.)

81. delooper says:

If the Oilers don’t scare the hell out of their 1st opponent in the playoffs next season, if they don’t get that far, then we can say clearly this team is mis-managed. This is a huge softball of an opportunity here for the Oilers braintrust. If they don’t take it and do something good with it, they’re pathetic.

82. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie:
    He’s a 1st overall pick, I think it’s a sure thing or he’s likely a bust.

…like Joe Thornton.

83. DSF says:

Komrade Horcov should be able to teach him what it takes to be a winner. :)

84. PunjabiOil says:

and LOL, no surprise DSF is trolling on a good day.

Fuck off.

Yakupov and Teubert for Bogosian.

86. gd says:

Does Fedor Tyutin make a ton of sense?

87. Maverick says:

I guess with Yakupov coming on board in the fall, Ryan Smyth should have signed that contract offer on the weekend, his place on the roster just got filled.

88. LMHF#1 says:

Sergei’s still playing.

89. gogliano says:

Having one of Eberle, Hemsky, or Yakupov on the ice for 90% of a game would be fantastic. Just take Yakupov. If we have to deal a winger do it but just don’t touch Eberle / Yakupov / Hall. Elite talent wins cups and Yakupov is a very clear #1 — you’ll never get a return worth the player. The presence of RNH makes this an easy choice.

Oil should be thinking they need to try and make a cup run while Nail is on an entry level contract. Year #3 should be significant value.

90. delooper says:

The Oilers could have a little Russian invasion if Tulupov moves up to the big team.

91. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”,

I withdraw my stupid statement. He should be able to make the team (as Thornton did), but there is no guarentee how good he’ll be in year one. I would add that if Thornton had been given the kind of opportunity that say, Stamkos got under Tochett, thst year might have been different, but either way, point taken.

92. stevezie says:

delooper:

One helluvan “if”. I like the guy, but he wasn’t even a regular on Oakland.

93. rickithebear says:

LT: this is Yakupov and Rieders 18 year old season.
    Since Jan.
    Rieder RW 31GM 21G 29A 1.62PPG
    Yakupov RW 31GM 25G 25A 1.62PPG

94. DBO says:

last team to draft 3 straight #1′s. Quebec
    Sundin
    Nolan
    Lindros

Not bad, and set that team up for a decade of contention after deals. Shitty, after deals. Forget it.

95. DSF says:

DBO:
    last team to draft 3 straight #1′s. Quebec
    Sundin
    Nolan
    Lindros

Yeah, if they can trade Yakupov for Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Chris Simon, two first-round picks (Jocelyn Thibault, Nolan Baumgartner), and $15 million they should be in great shape.

And Nolan Baumgarter is still playing!

96. delooper says:

Okay DSF, let’s do that.

97. rickithebear says:

With Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Rieder we have 4 likely 30G scorers
    Smyth, Gagner, hemsky, RNH 4 potential 20G scorers.

98. DBO says:

DSF,

Let’s do that!

There are a bunch of teams desperate to do something. The isles, the Leafs. Heck, pretty much anyone not in playoffs. i’m not saying they deal the pick, but he better look at a whole bunch of offers.

99. Alice says:

Can Rieder play AHL next year, or was he drafted out of CHL(and has to go back there if he doesn’t make the show)?

100. gogliano says:

I don’t know, I think with the talent we have now we have good shot at matching the Dys glory years. We might not match their string of cups but I still think this is an ok bunch.

As an aside, watching a Sundin-Lindros tandem would’ve been great.

101. eidy says:

I would be calling phoenix re OEL for first or more likely Anaheim to see what it would take for rights to Schulz. Omark for him seems like a bit too much based on history, but I’d rather trade for Schulz than a 3rd or 4th pick. Coming away with yakupov + Justin would make the draft a win no matter what else happens.

I like murray, but he’s tracking ahead of hall. Yikes

We need Gregor, Willis, and LT to keep pounding the media with the uncertainty of D, our weak forward prospect not in the NHL, and how long it takes to develop D.

It worked with hemmer the sheeple saw the light

102. Traktor says:

I don’t think Edmonton needs to trade for a Russian to mentor Yukupov but Kulemin might fit the bill.

He is good defensively, has some grit, and he had an poor season this year so he might be available.

Also, DSF seems butthurt.

103. bookje says:

gd,

gd:

Does Fedor Tyutin make a ton of sense?

Well, its hard to say, how is his bokren leg commnig along?

104. DSF says:

Traktor:

Also, DSF seems butthurt.

Nah.

Kulemin would be a great addition but Burke is still looking for a centre, size and truculence.

What do the Oilers have to offer?

105. gd says:

Things I want to see with Yakupov,

The new arena better have the best ice in the league,

Put as many resources into D development as possible. Study as much of what Vancouver and Pittsburgh has done.

For the next few drafts, anyone after the first round who is described as “Coke Machine” or “Latvian ball of hate” gets automatically moved up 20 spots on Stu’s list.

Katz better ensure the cap management and CBA understanding is as strong as possible. There are hundreds of young lawyers and accountants in this city who would gladly assist this team. The cap is going to get very complicated for this team in about 5 years.

106. gd says:

bookje,

I’ve got Tyutin with a broken hand and it doesn’t sound that serious.

107. Traktor says:

DSF: Nah.

What do the Oilers have to offer?

Kulemin only scored 7 goals last year so I’m not sure what his value would be.

Plus he is an RFA and probably wants to be paid closer to a 30 goal scorer than a 7 goal scorer. That will be an interest contact negotiation.

108. DSF says:

Traktor: Kulemin only scored 7 goals last year so I’m not sure what his value would be.

109. sliderule says:

Ricklthebear
    Yak is 8 months younger than Rieder.
    Rieder with three assists in a loss to Plymouth.He has had a fantastic season and looks like he could be a top six player.

110. sliderule says:

Ricklthebear
    Yak is 8 months younger than Rieder.

111. Traktor says:

DSF: I can’t see one player on the Oiler roster (outside the three kids) that Burke would want.

Oh well.

112. GordM says:

Shirts off for Yakupov? It has a nice ring to it ladies. #SCF2015

113. Simmer24 says:

This is great!!!! Horcov will be able to be our Russian mentor for the young Nail next season.

114. Thinker says:

Nail yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkupov the nuuuge and ebersqueeeeeeee. OMG.
    Hall, gags and hemsky are alright too i guess.

115. Ducey says:

Great win!

If Tamby can bring in Schultz, the Oilers can bring in a top flight forward and Dman in the same year. Wow.

Whats with the timeout BS again?

116. bill needle says:

Forget about RW or LW. Can Yakupov GM? That’s what the Oilers really need.
    Tambellini looked like Kevin Bacon at the beginning of Animal House, bent over and yelling, “Thank you sir, may I have another!”

I have no problem with them keeping all of Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakopov.

I have no problem with them trading one of Eberle or Yakopov for an elite D still on ELC (OEL, Carlson, some really think Fowler is in that company after this past year, that’s about it though, Bogo isn’t in that range)

They need to address the D badly though.

If they can get Shultz-the-younger and land Garrison and draft Yakopov, it would be an amazing summer.

I think they’d have a real chance at Garrison as they have the cap room and he would be getting a feature role (I guess 22.5M over 5 years gets him) and the team has a lot of good young talent.

They still need a goalie too.

Man I really wish Don Maloney was in charge of this team so we wouldn’t have to worry about how management is going to fuck this all up.

118. vishcosity says:

Hall is up for the first contract right? I think Detroit said that no one is going to make more than Lindstrom, and so Zetterburg and Hossa each signed for the same. I think 5.35 or something.

Lets say they offer Hall 6 x 6M. Then say to Eberle, RNH, Yakopov, Reider(!), Petry(!!) and everyone, that they can have no more than Hall. Do they all sign? Probably. So now you have 36M in cap space with filler pieces all around. Add a Del Zotto/J. Schultz/Gubranson and you’re still only at 42.

I can’t believe they won that. Hahahaha. Look out mama there’s a white boat coming up the river.

Batman is gigging like a school girl.

119. Traktor says:

Woodguy:

5 years for a defensemen that has had 1 good season.. in the SE?

The only way Tambellini can fuck things up is by trying to expedite the rebuild and offering crazy contracts to UFA’s. Even if Tambellini relied only on the draft I think he would eventually ice a contender.

I’d like to upgrade the D as much as the next guy but unless we are getting Suter I’m not offering more than 2 years.

We have enough assets that we can trade for a defensemen with a reasonable contract.

120. "Steve Smith" says:

Traktor,

On the contrary, there are a great many ways that Tambellini can fuck things up. I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to see which he’ll choose.

121. DSF says:

Traktor: 5 years for a defensemen that has had 1 good season.. in the SE?

Which assets?

And which defenseman?

122. "Steve Smith" says:

Also, watching this Traktor/DSF interaction is kind of like being a resident of Tokyo watching Godzilla vs. Mothra.

123. Traktor says:

Going back all the way to Garrison’s college days his previous career high in goals was 8.

I don’t like he chances to score 16 goals again next year.

I admit I haven’t watched him much but he only had 17 assists last year (two more than Smid) so I have some doubts about his his puck moving ability… at least in terms of offering him 5 years at over 20M.

Looking at the Panthers Mike Weaver sure seems like a nice contract.

He averaged most the most PK minutes
    Over 20 minutes per game
    He had 1 less assist than Garrison
    He had an amazing +15 Takeaway/Giveaway ratio (Garrison was -10)
    He is locked up for 1.1M

124. vishcosity says:

DSF: Which assets?

And which defenseman?

How about four first round picks? That should get something pretty fancy.

I think Tambo should get a Neil song. The song quality probably got much better since he had his balls in the right place.

125. DSF says:

vishcosity:
    DSF: Which assets?

And which defenseman?

How about four first round picks?That should get something pretty fancy.

I think Tambo should get a Neil song.The song quality probably got much better since he had his balls in the right place.

Thing is, with an offer sheet, you have to get a player to sign it and hope his team doesn’t match it.

I assume you would target Suter,

Would you go higher than $8 million long term?

That’s likely what it would take.

126. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF,

Suter’s an impending UFA. Vishcosity was talking about impending RFAs – Weber, I assume.

127. Dave Casselman says:

gd:
    Things I want to see with Yakupov,

The new arena better have the best ice in the league,

Yup.

128. vishcosity says:

As for me, I wouldn’t sign Suter at all, simply because I have no idea what he looks like without Weber on his wing.

I’m more in the school of the Petriangelos and Gubransons of the world, but maybe not quite yet though. Two of Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly and Nashville are out in the first round. Not saying heads roll anywhere (except maybe Nashville), but an early round exit has a way of shaking loose a few apples from the trees. Bide some time, this team probably won’t win next year, add a Keith or Seabrook or OEL or Yandle or Letang(!) via some playoff exit madness, and probably four firsts are more than most of them are worth anyway, especially if the braintrust has a means to wait until July 15 when teams are wrestling with a cap rather than trying to add at a deadline.

Teams may just learn that trading all their centres is a great way to add elite talent. Maybe someone (Dallas, Anaheim) decides to do it with their defense, and Tambo could be waiting patiently for just exactly that.

129. Traktor says:

DSF: Which assets?

And which defenseman?

Obviously I don’t know who is available but common sense tells us that Tambellini isn’t the only GM that will be looking to make deals.

As for assets, I’m not going to list them all.

The point is I would rather trade for a steady #4 with a reasonable contract than compromise Edmonton’s flexibility and future cap space with Hail Mary UFA signings.

130. vishcosity says:

And you gotta think that one or two of the defensive prospects will pan out somehow. They have about a dozen decent options, someone of the Musil Klefbom variety will probably become at least a top four. Or, its reasonable to hope for that I think.

Three number 1 picks. That is a bit better than anything the Kings, Thrashers, Jackets or Islanders have been able to put together. With the bonus situation that is Eberle, Reider, and Petry, the koolaid is suddenly and significantly better than ever.

131. Clay says:

“Steve Smith”:

Holy fak, this made me laugh til I cried.

132. Ribs says:

Fussy tweeting a whack of stuff…..

Oilers to announce Tambellini extension. Renney still negotiation, looks like it might get done.

Renney could be a co-coach is what the Oilers are trying to negotiate.

Oilers did not expect to win the draft lottery,will consider moving it only for a franchise D. Lots of other changes expected as the Oilers-

will take a serious run at the playoffs. Oilers liked what Hordichuck brings but will try to go after George Parros if he is still available

Belanger and Eager were shopped at the deadline and are still being shopped.

Omark apparentlty had made some comments about the team to a Swedish reporter got back to Tambellini, as we seen with Souray, he didnt play.

Oilers close to signing Petrell to a 2 yr deal,will also shop Gagner at the draft.

He could be packaged with a pick for a descent 2-4 D (Gagner+31=Schenn?)

133. art vandelay says:

Still no D that would make the top pair on a playoff team.
    No goaltending that would make another NHL team, period.
    And a management team that is starting to make the Wang/Milbury combo look good by comparison.
    And no right-minded free agent will sign in Edmonton.
    Oilers will be a lottery team again next year

134. Gret99zky says:

Fuck this time out thing.

135. delooper says:

Omark has got to be wondering how much more difficult it is now to make the team.

136. Gret99zky says:

advice to posters out there. Copy your comments before posting. you will thank me after 30+ time outs or so.

137. Bos8 says:

The thing is that the Oilers need a Faksa, Girgenson or Gaunce. going forward. Draft Yakupov and the team is even more unbalanced unless the team is certain that Hall can play center. And that’s not even counting the cap hits in a few years. Hemsky, with his contract will certainly not bring back a cheap four D. Once the euphoria has passed the logical solution would be to exchange draft picks with some team coming in at the 10th spot in the draft. Personally I would go for Galchenyuk if he’s fully recovered. Big question. A lot more a complete player than Grigorenko and less a risk of KHL loss.

A big forward that can backcheck for God’s sake.

Chinese curse “May you live in interesting times” This qualifies.

138. Bos8 says:

Save the 2nd pick for Samuelsson, dammnit.

139. bookje says:

art vandelay:
    Still no D that would make the top pair on a playoff team.
    No goaltending that would make another NHL team, period.
    And no right-minded free agent will sign in Edmonton.
    Oilers will be a lottery team again next year

Art, the problem is that DSF has really raised the bar with regards to trolling the site and as a result, your shlock just doesn’t have any impact any more. DSF weaves a bit of a narrative and a more nuanced approach including things like selective advanced stats to add a sense of credibility. I am afraid that you really need to raise your game if you want anyone to bite.

140. delooper says:

Whenever I’m this happy I want to sing the Finland song.

Traktor: 5 years for a defensemen that has had 1 good season.. in the SE?

No, Garrison has had a few very good years in a row.

This is the first year that offence came too.

Last year, on a horrible FLA team, he shut down top opposition and came out ahead.

The Oilers need to replace Whitney, its most likey that he will necer return to form.

If he does return to form, the problem of having too many good players is not a bad one to have.

With all the talent up front, the Oilers need to build a D like PIT. No “stud” making north of $5MM, but many good players in the 3.5-5MM range.

Garrisonm fits that.

142. "Steve Smith" says:

Gret99zky,

What has never failed for me: once I get the timeout message, hit “back” in my browser (Chrome) and then re-submit. Works every time (and my comments are always still there when I hit “back”).

143. jake70 says:

For the time-out, I just hit “refresh”, (also using google chrome browser) a box comes up with some message (don’t know what it says..haven’t read the whole thing..) with a “retry” choice after the message….click this and works fine for me.

144. jake70 says:

Anyone else more happy than not that the Oilers only harvested 3 of 12 points the last 6 games, given the collapses by Leafs, Habs etc. ??

145. misfit says:

Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Gagner

I think the Oilers should petition to have the option of going 6 v 5 instead of 5 v 4 when they get a powerplay.

…then petition to actually get powerplays.