G79 Oilers at Ducks

The Oilers have a chance to climb to 28th overall tonight, but there’s a heavy load for the remaining blue. As incredible as it sounds, tonight’s starting 6 might be the least impressive group we’ve seen in Edmonton over the last 6 years.

Due to injury, the Oilers won’t have Laddy Smid (neck) and Jeff Petry (face)  in uniform tonight. Meaning we’ll see Ryan Whitney, Nick Schultz, Andy Sutton, Cam Barker, Corey Potter and the ironically emergency recalled Colten Teubert. I’m wondering if the Oilers have had a more ragged 6 over these last years, and honestly can’t think of one. Maybe late in a season or after a trade deadline, but man that looks poor. Potter and Teubert are likely AHL-bound next season, Barker is unlikely to be in the NHL too; Whitney is still dealing with foot and speed issues, Sutton is fine in a depth role and Schultz is an NHL defenseman.

Lordy.

Terry Jones’ posted an article last night about “New Normal” for Oiler veterans. There are a lot of good quotes in there, but this is the one I want to focus on this morning:

• Tom Renney: “With the transitional players or the veteran players coming back, when you see this youth movement blossom in front of you, you say ‘OK, where am I in the grand scheme of things?’

That’s an interesting quote on a lot of levels. If you’re Shawn Horcoff, does that mean you’re going to be facing less difficult opposition and easier zone starts next season? I mean, right now he faces easily the toughest opponent, he and Belanger face easily the toughest zone start and yet his CorsiRel is solid; perhaps some help is on the way?

Horcoff’s plus minus is in the ditch, he isn’t generating offense and I have zero idea why they give him so much powerplay time. However, Eric Belanger (brought in to lighten the load) faces about the same zone start, easier opponents than Horcoff, has a CorsiRel that is inferior and the offense and plus minus are a disaster there, too?

So, where IS Shawn Horcoff in the grand scheme of things?

Oiler Centers

SCORING (5X5 60)

1. Gagner 2.04
  2. Nuge 2.02
  3. Horcoff 1.10
  4. Belanger 0.69
  5. Lander 0.62

All numbers courtesy Gabe Desjardins’ and behind the net. Let me ask you: who do you see taking on the Horcoff role on this team for next season? I can’t see him from here. Nugent-Hopkins will be a year better and Gagner is producing offense in an offensive role, but where are the checkers? I do think Belanger will be better but he’s no spring chicken either.

I think Renney’s words are strong, but the evidence suggests the Oilers will roll along with Horcoff, Nuge, Gagner and Belanger again next season. Lander will also be available and perhaps he’s the best hope for a future replacement.

The solution isn’t here, at least not for next season. RNH, Gagner for offense, Lander learning on the job. Who’s going to take out the slop bucket, kill the chicken and clean the barn?

Yeah.

140 Responses to "G79 Oilers at Ducks"

1. oilswell says:

There must be a way to have a chuckle over this. Belanger was the only Tambellini move that seemed rational: he was veteran with a history of being a two-way guy that filled a need on the PK and could lighten the load for Horcoff or (as some were saying loudly) even replace Horcoff’s minutes. The numbers say he’s being used to some extent for that, but its pretty hard to match up the very nice season-to-season +50 goal differential improvement of the team to Belanger’s contributions.

So what’s the punch line? Is it “No he wins a lot of draws?”

I think part of it was the roster makeup around him leaving the station. Keeping Lander was folly, and I do think the coach got lost there with regard to Omark and Paajarvi.

But Belanger should have righted the ship long ago. His 4×5 plus minus/60 looks good, does that help?

Kind of wordy for a punchline, though.

3. bookje says:

Going from 29th to 28th sounds a lot like going from 2nd to 3rd to me.

Then again, didn’t Brownlee make some kind of argument that the law of averages or some other non-rational statistic meant that 3rd last is the best kind of last to have…

4. Bank Shot says:

I give you 2006-2007.

Smid-Smith
    Greene-Syvret
    Bisaillon-Young

Smith was the only guy with over 1.5 years NHL experience. Also, did Petersen start a game on defence that season or am I imagining things?

5. bookje says:

I don’t undertstand the healthy scratch of Belanger the other day. Was it simply a message saying something like – Thanks for signing to a three year contract with the Oilers, by the way, you got two more years of this coming at you!! Have a nice summer, sucker!!

Not sure, as LT said the guy was given crappy linemates and terrible zonestarts all season (though to be fair he got way more PP time than deserved). If he comes out with a Souray-like tirade against the team, it would be immensely damaging.

I think Belanger will rebound next year, particularly if he has an NHL defense to play in front of.

It is going to be an important summer.

Bank Shot: Yeah, that’s pretty horrible. Toby Petersen. Man. I remember defending him to a buddy and being somewhat aware that the conversation might turn violent. I think it was during the time MacT started running him out there on the PP.

Good times.

bookje:
    I don’t undertstand the healthy scratch of Belanger the other day.Was it simply a message saying something like – Thanks for signing to a three year contract with the Oilers, by the way, you got two more years of this coming at you!! Have a nice summer, sucker!!

It is going to be an important summer.

Meh, if Belanger says something they’ll send him to Chocolate City.

8. vishcosity says:

Even before marrying a Ducks fan I was a ardent supporter off Kevin Lowe. She laughs when her team wins the cup, I justify as my team wins the lottery. Tonight we are in San Diego and planning to take the train to the game. One problem is that with this roster, I’m almost too ashamed to go. My Oilrs sweater is in Arizona and for that I am secretly grateful.

Ken Holland picked KLo to help for Team Canada. I don’t think Holland is an idiot, thus KLo must not be one either. But how does a roster like this happen? I do think the Oil traded 3/4 centres after the big fish flop, a means to draft a couple marquee guys. and probably if they had a farm team six years back there would be a bunch of guys about now just growing into the position, it’s those guys who should be in the roster tonight.

I’m going to guess that if the Springfield team had been in place four? years earlier, tonight’s roster would be different, if only by a couple players, it could be significant.

In my mind, to the wife, and everyone else who watches what seems an inevitable disaster tonight that the missing players are a result of lost farm years plus a cleverly masked intentional tank instead of sheer incompetence by Batman’s regime.

Hope tonight a bunch of people want to ditch because if I have to go without cleverly worded rationale, I’m going to be hammered before the start of the third. Really I hope I can get out of this.

9. stevezie says:

Bank Shot:

I give you 2006-2007.

Smid-Smith
    Greene-Syvret
    Bisaillon-Young

This was the worst thing I have ever seen on a professional sports team.

As far as Belanger goes, I was right there applauding the signing with everyone else, but the demise of Shawn Horcoff as an offensive player and the inability of Belanger to challange for more ice-time makes me now think that Horcoff should be in the Belanger role, and someone else should be in the Horcoff role. Sorry Belanger.

Oilers should come out with a lot of effort after that last game. Anaheim is always murder but hey it would be nice to send the Habs deeper into enfer.

11. Alice says:

To LT’s question, the answer Should be Sam Gagner. He will be starting his sixth season in the show, he doesn’t put up gaudy numbers so I’m a bit at a loss why he’s in line for cherry minutes. He should be making a career of being harder to play against, but that part of his game is still developing ‘by sundial’. I hope he’s one that surprises next year, along with MPS. These were both high drafts, and if not exactly stalled, their development curves are starting to resemble plateaus.

12. sliderule says:

Reneys comment about having to satisfy players to keep the environment from getting toxic is interesting.
    When you consider his comment some of the player rotations like all the PP time and 4 on4 time Belanger got can be understood but still don’t make any sense

13. TheOtherJohn says:

Vishcosity

The person who decided not to have a farm team was Kevin Lowe. Not EIG. Yet another myth by “its not my fault, KL”. EIG decided how much money the Oilers had to spend and Lowe decided how he wanted to spend it. David Poile (a very smart GM) had the exact same issue in Nashville (limited funds) and yet hoarded some of his money for player development. Nashville is a perennial playoff team and has a chance this year to make some real noise. The Oilers are the single worst team in the league over the 6 years of this CBA

Not sure, though, with quality of the kids we drafted that it would have made any difference but we will never know.

At the time of FA signings I was, yet again, touting Boyd Gordon. He was younger, better defensively, a tremendous penalty killer, a 57% face-off guy and young enough to be on this roster to play a real role when they are competing. The signing of the 34 year old Belanger for noticeably more money at an age (34) that he will not be here when we get good, speaks to management knowledge of building a roster. Both players bring similar skills. Belanger is better offensively, Gordon is younger, better defensively and is RH. In molding a young roster there is no comparison as to who is more desirable. None. We signed the other guy.

No big deal unless you do less than optimal decisions like that four or five times a year. Then over a 2-3 year period those decisions accumulate such that you are not where you should be, again.

14. danny says:

from oilers email… Lol

OILERS-ESKIMOS STAGE HISTORIC MATCH FOR ULTIMATE BRAGGING RIGHTS

The Edmonton Oilers and Edmonton Eskimos have agreed to square off in a historic match for ultimate bragging rights in the City of Champions. The two teams will go head to head in a unique two-game total-point series to determine the winner of the Edmonton Cup.

Game 1 will see both squads suit up for hockey at Rexall Place June 7 while Game 2 will be football at Commonwealth Stadium June 29. The team with the highest combined number of goals and points will be crowned champion the next day at the Esks’ home opener.

FULL STORY

Anaheim played last night, so that’s a point in favour of the Oilers.

They lost 4-0 in PHX, so they probably aren’t in a good mood either.

JDD started last night, so HIllier is probably going tonight.

I’m not sure how much a drop off Belanger would be to Horcoff with the same linemates.

Belanger is way off his historical norms, and history tells us that this usually corrects itself, but this effect diminishes with age and Belanger turned 34 in December.

Horcoff has not been good either. Too many goals being scored by his check with Horcoff a half step behind or not tying his man up enough.

He’s showing his age too.

Word was that the Oilers tried to move Belanger at the deadline. Wouldn’t surprise to see him moved at the draft.

That D is even worse than it looks because Whitney is only 1/2 Whitney.

Whitney’s SC ratio has been as bad as possible since his return. Barker type bad.

He says its conditioning, but the man can’t turn or push off with his right skate at all, that’s not conditioning.

He was first on the ice for the Oilers last game in the warm up and the camera was there to film them taking the ice under the derrick.

All the players hit the ice, dig in for a couple of strides and get moving.

Whitney looked like a kid on the ice for the first time. Couldn’t dig at all with his right foot. Dug hard with his left skate, but just little stutter pushes with his right skate.

I’m going to watch his pushes with his right foot closely tonight. Probably non-existent and that really has nothing to do with conditioning.

Its too bad. The man can make a very good pass and has a reasonable head for the game.

His right ankle just keeps him from being able to do it effectively.

16. Traktor says:

Edmonton would be better off with 7.25M in cap space and two open roster spots going into the summer.

The problem is the GM that thought Belanger was a good hockey player and the President of Overpaying 3rd Liners would be in charge of spending that money.

Which combo is better?

Horcoff (5.5) + Wideman (5.0)

or

Pouliot (750k) + Suter (10M)

Its probable that anyone that plays the tough assignments is going to have a terrible season so why the fuck would you pay a premium for that position? How much worse would Brendan Morrison (850K) do than -21 Shawn Horcoff? Abracadabra you just saved close to 5M in cap space.

Edmonton trades Ales Hemsky for a 1st round pick and signs Zherdev to replace him at 1.5M (3.5 savings)

Edmonton trades Hemsky’s 1st round pick return + Cogliano’s 2nd + Horcoff for 7th round pick and replaces Horcoff with a random like Pouliot at 750k (4.75 savings)

That’s over 8M savings right there without downgrading the roster much. If Edmonton offered Suter 12M it would really be like offering him 4M because you created 8M without hurting the roster.

There is no guarantee that we can use saved cap space to sign a star like Suter but we could always do things like sign Viktor Fasth to a 1-way contract and if he doesn’t work out pay him 1.5M to play in the minors. In baseball terms its like spending a lot of money on Dominican and Cuban free agents. It doesn’t matter if 3 or 4 turn out busts because if one pans out you will end up with a better player than his free agent replacement and the entire lot cheaper than some average veteran.

17. gd says:

I feel comfortable they did the right thing in the first half of the season protecting RNH as he was an 18 yr old, 165lb kid who was winning less than 40% of his faceoffs, and unfortunately the Gagner injury caused them to overplay Horcoff, create the Belanger Triangle and potentially screw up Lander and Paarjavi.

I think a big key for next year is how they go about transitioning the vets roles so they can be assets rather than liabilities.

We are stuck with Horcoff, but I do believe he can be effective as a third line centre and I would rather have him be captain too long then make one the kids a captain too early. Mediocre teams have mediocre captains.

I hope they can get Smyth to accept a third line role/PK/PP role, because if he is not willing to accept that, they are better off cutting him loose.

I hope they can get Belanger to accept a fourth line/PK role as hopefully they can get him to realize he is well pd for a 35 yr old journeyman as his contract is cheap enough for a buyout if his is going to be a problem.

I sense Hemksy is actually becoming comfortable in the second line role. He is always going to be inconsistant, but I think he does not have the right personality and drive to be a top player but will actually enjoy easier minutes, as long as he accepts second PP role.

I think this points to why it is important to get a strong coach who can define this transition properly. (Tippett, Quenville or Ruff if any of them become available, maybe Maurice or Andy Murray, hopefully not Crawford or Hartley) I like Renney as a guy, but I’m very certain he is not the coach to take them to the next level. He is 57 so I think he will not get another NHL coaching job, so I wouldn’t mind him moving into a managment support role with a focus on player development.

18. Clay says:

What happens at the draft will have a domino affect on the centre position imho.

If Murray isn’t available with the Oilers’ pick, and they take Grigorenko (there’s no way they take Yakopov over Grigs, right? RIGHT?), then one of 89, 10, or 20 has to probably go. My guess is they’d deal Gagner, as he’d get the most return.

Grigorenko would most likely eat up his dirty countryman’s PP minutes, leaving Horcov and Belanger to look after PK and get the toughest opponents along with worst zone starts again. Not a dream situation for either guy.

If the Oilers do get Murray (or some other Dman, but that could only happen if both Murray and Grigs are gone, and then they take someone like Reinhart over Nail, which could really come back to haunt them), then I’d be surprised if Tambo could pull off something creative enough whereby he actually improves the centre position with a trade. Considering how much organizational love they have for Lander, my guess is they try to keep shoe-horning him in somewhere, and play Belanger on the wing somewhere.

My darkhorse pick is VDV makes an impression at camp next year, and makes the decision for 4th line centre interesting. He’s been around since the pig ate Willy, so he’s bound to get a shot!

19. spoiler says:

LT

I was kind of thinking the same way as you last night when I read the Jones’ article. That it was a bit rich of Renney to call out his veterans when he’s the one making them climb the long rope every shift.

In the end, I didn’t go over those issues, or the roster make-up, or the injuries, or Belanger sucking by a couple of standard deviations, because I think the speech was intended to be a kick in the ass after Friday’s lacklustre effort. It’s a little late in the day for a bag skate.

It will be a miracle if they win tonight considering the blue line. But I expect a far better effort.

20. spoiler says:

This is their second Sunday match up in three weeks, but I could watch Flyers v. Penguins every Sunday morning.

21. Noodles says:

stevezie: This was the worst thing I have ever seen on a professional sports team.

I don’t think it’s quite as bad as that ’07 death march squad, but the night the Oilers traded Lubo, Whitney couldn’t make it to Edmonton in time for the game, Smid and Souray were hurt, and Staios and Grebeshkov were traded, so I think the defense looked something like:

Strudwick-Gilbert
    Peckham-Chorney
    Arsene-Motin

Gilbert aside, you have Jason Strudwick on the first pairing, followed by a bunch of rookies and career minor-leaguers. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

22. bookje says:

Lowetide: Meh, if Belanger says something they’ll send him to Chocolate City.

Good point – these free agents need to understand the benefits of signing in Edmonton and if they don’t – banish them!

23. spoiler says:

Traktor:

You’re just making sure we’re awake, right?

24. Dipstick says:

I am going to repeat myself. Horcoff is a very good 3rd line center. The only problem with him is his contract, for which he shoulders no blame. The cap hit can be managed until such time as a buy out is viable.

25. russ99 says:

Barker’s playing substantial minutes? Alright, that second pick is ours.

Also we have labor negotiations between the end of the season and the summer signing/trading period.

Could be a much different landscape, especially if we can ditch a contract (ahem) via amnesty.

26. FPB94 says:

Clay,

What the? Why would draft Grigorenko over Yakupov (Apart from size?)

Grigorenko (18) : 40 G 45 A 85 PTS 59 GP (1,41 PPG)

Yakupov (17): 49 G 52 A 101 PTS 65 GP (1,55 PPG)
    Yakupov (18): 31 G 38 A 69 PTS 42 GP (1,66 PPG)

Yakupov scored more one year earlier, and has a longer track record.

I love Grigorenko but IMO Yakupov’s been a much better player.

I think the Oil should add multiple 1st round picks. This year is stacked on defense.

I’d also take a gamble on Galchenyuk who scored a 100 points at 16 years old, but suffered a broken leg. (Projected mid-1st round)

27. DSF says:

Dipstick:
    I am going to repeat myself.Horcoff is a very good 3rd line center.The only problem with him is his contract, for which he shoulders no blame. The cap hit can be managed until such time as a buy out is viable.

While he is playing the toughest competition he’s been getting murdered at even strength.

His P/60 rate of 1.10 is 104th among centres in the NHL. BTN list 126 centres who have played 60 games.

There are only 8 centres in the entire league who have a worse +- ON/60 than Horcoff

28. cabbiesmacker says:

The Blackhawks have to like Gagner after “sell your soul” night right? Plus theres the Gagner / Kane connection (by that I mean they both like to chew their mouthguards).

Gagner for Bolland. Both will earn similar $$ for the next couple of years, Bolland might even be cheaper by half a mil, we get Steve Ott “somewhat light”, a reason for the Sedins to really hates us and a lot uglier and more quotable.

Move Belanger to wing or flip flop at C with Horcoff and form the ZZ TOP shutdown / PK line with 94-10-20. You’re overpaying for 2 of the 3 anyways so run em ragged against the Thorntons and Sedins of the world and on the PK but banish all 3 from the PP.

Jones goes to 4th line to play with Hartibeast and John Doe, kills penalties and shampoos

4 – 93 – 14
    91 – Bolland – 83
    94 – 10 – 20
    56 – whatevah – 28

If the Hawks were really sick to their pants over Gagner maybe they throw in a + to get him.

Just having some fun but wtf?

29. speeds says:

cabbiesmacker,

If the Oilers were dealing Gagner to CHI, my guess is they might also be interested in the guy you mentioned last thread, Saad.

30. Traktor says:

spoiler: You’re just making sure we’re awake, right?

I would definitely sacrifice Hemsky to get rid of Horcoff.

83 + 10 vs 10.5M in cap space and two open roster spots.

Essentially we are paying Hemsky 9.5M given that a Horcoff’s replacement could be found for 1M

As DSF pointed out above there are only 8 centres in the entire league who have a worse +- ON/60 than Horcoff.

Hemsky isn’t worth 9.5M. Suter might be though.

31. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF: Interested in how you came to the conclusion Horcoff is a very good 3rd line centre?

He’s our Sammi Pahlsson. Just costs a little more.

Seriously? Give him zero PP time, a little time away from the toughest comp and on the PK and he’s quite serviceable as a 3C. If the Oilers had someone, ANYONE, who could step into tougher Dzone starts and give him some time off vs the toughest comp I’m betting he’d be looking just fine.

Hasn’t helped his cause covering for 2 softies and being run ragged in way too many situations. The contract is the elephant in the room but that’s not his fault. Just don’t designate his ice time to line up with the $$ paid.

32. FPB94 says:

Cabbie: Can’t cover for a softie when you’ve become one.

33. cabbiesmacker says:

speeds:
    cabbiesmacker,

Ok now “I” just got sick to MY pants. Problem is Stan Bowman didn’t just fall off the turnip truck so the time between ST voicing that offer and Bowman hitting the floor laughing his bag off would be relatively short.

34. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94:
    Cabbie: Can’t cover for a softie when you’ve become one.

I don’t think I buy that FPV. Horcoff and Smyth in the first 10+ games were just fine. Oilers having a Fleecy top 6 forced Horcoff and Smyth into situations they were a little too long in the tooth for. In fact Smyth’s play has been a bonus despite it all but with that kind of ice time? Poor bastard. He and Horcoff have done their best wicked witch of the west imitations as the seasons elapsed.

Your guys aren’t exactly the Broad Street Bullies but there are no Max Pacioretty / Eric Cole size with hands equivs in the Oilers top 6 right now. The closest we have his Taylor Hall and we’ve seen how that scenario plays out 2 years in a row now.

35. spoiler says:

Traktor: I would definitely sacrifice Hemsky to get rid of Horcoff.

83 + 10 vs 10.5M in cap space and two open roster spots.

Hemsky isn’t worth 9.5M. Suter might be though.

Don’t, please. It made for good humour, while making its point. Leave it at that.

To seriously trade a 1st, a 2nd and Horcoff for a 7th is beyond ridiculous. When his cap hit becomes an issue, it will easily be divested to a budget team. No GM is going to actually waste assets like that.

36. stevezie says:

cabbiesmacker,

Bolland is a little small but since he plays big, yeah I’d say he fits the bill of what we need pretty well. Sadly what Chicago needs is not more offence, it’s more solid depth. Their goals against is really, really bad, and I don’t think it’s all on the goalies.

37. Traktor says:

spoiler:

To seriously trade a 1st, a 2nd and Horcoff for a 7th is beyond ridiculous.

That is just crazy.

C R A Z Y

38. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker: He’s our Sammi Pahlsson. Just costs a little more.

Pahlsson, playing on the worst team in the league until a few games ago, had a +- ON/60 of -.38 compared to Horcoff’s -.98.

While I agree Horcoff’s contract is an elephant in the room…it’s certainly not the only one.

If you have to move him away from tough matchups to try and salvage something, what is the point of employing the man at all?

You can pick up a Kyle Wellwood (18G 29A 47P) for $750K to perform like that.

I would think the contract amnesty can’t come soon enough.

39. FPB94 says:

Cabbie: Launch a call to WSH and get Semin.

Idk why WSH guys got stigmatated (OH boy i probably f’d up there) as soft. They dominated MTL physically in their series.

EDM just can’t seem to get those cheap unwanted guys. (Same for MTL) Look at NSH (Kostitsyn brothers etc)

40. spoiler says:

Traktor: What is ridiculous is that you don’t think a GM could find better use of 10.5M than Horcoff and Hemsky.

That is just crazy.

C R A Z Y

No I called the trade proposal ridiculous. If you’re starting to read things that aren’t there, consult a therapist.

Meanwhile run your trade idea past Bob McKenzie, Matty’s Mailbag, or any of the other pundits or ex-GM types or blogging agents out there and see how well it flies.

41. cabbiesmacker says:

stevezie:
    cabbiesmacker,

Goaltending isn’t great but one Duncan Keith having an uncharacteristic year and that entire D corps being a subway turnstile for 70 games has taken it’s toll.

When you take the Byfugliens, Ladd’s, Versteeg’s and Brouwer’s off a roster and sub in rookies, babybutt Swedes and Czechs, and over the hill types it was bound to happen. It’s enough to make a grown man and long time fan curl up in the fetal and sob violently. Then throw in losing 20 games from a guy I think ranks as a Top 5 F in the entire league and I had to lock away the S & W. The Indian Chief has managed to keep his head above water though so all is not lost.

PS…I hate Stan Bowman.

42. Alpine says:

The signing of Belanger was decent. The contract, not so much. 3 years at 1.7 per for a 34 year old. Considering they’re not even giving him tough minutes, it seems like another case of bad cap management. Ick.

43. Mr DeBakey says:

I would definitely sacrifice Hemsky to get rid of Horcoff.

You’d just start complaining about Gagner every damn day.

44. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94:
    Cabbie: Launch a call to WSH and get Semin.

Why? Are we subbing bongo drums for the ping pong table in the locker room now?

$7M for a noodle-armed, poodle walking doughboy in our top 6? Pass. I’d rather the Oilers bring in that Survivor poof from this years version.

I’m a throwback 80′s Islanders guy and think you need some John Tonelli’s and Bobby Nystroms to compliment the Bryan Trottiers and Mike Bossy’s. DAMN. Of course it helps when your Trottier is a junk yard dog too and his LW shotgun that nobody in their right mind challenged (I’m talking to you Tiger Williams), could also score a little.

Not a lot of Pacioretty types available for a top 6 so I’d like to see a Cal Clusterfuck type on the 3rd line banging some bodies, potting the odd point, and causing Mary Kate and Ashley to contemplate the corners.

If only JFJ and Stort’s had Crosby’s hands and feet. We’d have been laughing.

BTW…for any Trottier / Stevens fans this is my #3 NHL laugh of all time. Classic. I wonder how this would play subbing in the Oilers bench for the Pens?

#1 is still the Stevie Sullivan puck to the head, Karma’s a bitch episode, and #2 is Pat Foley ripping Alex Karpotsev a new arsehole. Would love to hear Kevin Quinn do something similar some night instead of his non-stop “The Captain…The Captain” fawning schtick.

45. knighttown says:

So…is anyone close to having the discussion about buying out Ryan Whitney over the summer? For all the worries about Horcoff and others this is the “dead money” in my eyes. Especially when you consider that as long as he’s on the roster people still pencil him into the Top 4. I believe Ashley(?) (our resident doctor) discussed his prognosis a few months ago and felt his career was likely going to be over and I can’t say I’ve seen any improvement.

If you can’t pivot, you can’t play defense.

A real organization wouldn’t have him penciled in anywhere above a #7 for next season. THIS version of Whitney has proven nothing and should have to re-earn his slot.

46. Traktor says:

spoiler:

I assume all of the above would agree that 10.5M in cap space is more valuable than Horcoff + Hemsky.

Feel free to send them an email but I don’t need an “ex-GM” type to tell me Hemsky isn’t worth 9.5M

47. Traktor says:

Possible ways to spend 10.5M

Suter (10.5M)

Zherdev (2M), Fasth (1.5M), Carle (5M), Stoll (2M)

Harding (3M), Garrison (4M), Jackman (3.5M)

Penner (2M) Moore (1.5M), Wellwood (1.25M) Prust (1M), Gill (2.5M), Campoli (1.75M), Huet (1.5M)

ect

48. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF: Pahlsson, playing on the worst team in the league until a few games ago, had a +- ON/60 of-.38 compared to Horcoff’s -.98.

You can pick up a Kyle Wellwood (18G 29A 47P) for $750K to perform like that.

Horcoff plays almost 5 minutes a game more than Pahlsson. Usually against tougher comp. I’m suggesting that if the guy was cut some slack ice-”time” and “situation” wise he’d be looking a lot better but thanks to the Oilers lack of depth that isn’t possible. There’s zero reason to have him play on the PP…I think, and imo only Belanger could take on more time against the toughs. Drop his TOI from 19+ to 17 a game and I think we have a better contributor.

Pahlsson rel corsi -9.2 Horcoff rel corsi -1.4. Horcoff is unquestionably less of a one trick pony than Pahlsson. Take the contract out of the discussion and I don’t think theres any doubt who the “more valuable” player is. Just not $3M a season for 3 more years more valuable unfortunately…sob.

49. Traktor says:

Penner 2M (Hemsky replacement)

Stoll 2M (Horcoff replacement)

Moore 1.5M (versatile veteran, Pisani type)

Garrison 4M (Whitney insurance, potential home run)

Huet 1M (veteran 3rd string with potential to steal #1)

50. oilersfan says:

For those of you bitching about Horcoff’s pp time, take a few minutes to go to the cult of hockey and look up how important Horcoff has been to its success. Not only does he win the faceoff to save the thirty seconds you lose if the other team wins the faceoff, he goes to the dirty areas, screens the goalie and creates havoc.

51. FPB94 says:

Cabbie : I’l take those pumpkins when they can score 35-40 goals a season.

52. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker: Horcoff plays almost 5 minutes a game more than Pahlsson. Usually against tougher comp. I’m suggesting that if the guy was cut some slack ice-”time” and “situation”wise he’d be looking a lot better but thanks to the Oilers lack of depth that isn’t possible. There’s zero reason to have him play on the PP…I think, and imo only Belanger could take on more time against the toughs. Drop his TOI from 19+ to 17 a game and I think we have a better contributor.

Aye…there’s the rub.

Horcoff is neither fish nor fowl…never really has been and with his declining skills where DO you play him?

Why would a team have to re-jig the ice time of every other centre to accommodate Horcoff?

If you remove Horcoff’s 3 minutes PPTOI/G, he’s only playing less than 2 minutes more per game than Pahlsson.

Given Hopkins needing sheltering that seems like a reasonable way to use him but you seem to be suggesting his ESTOI/G also be diminished.

Why exactly?

You may think Horcoff is “more valuable” than Pahlsson but the numbers suggest otherwise.

Since the trade deadline, more than a month ago, Horcoff has 4 points (ONE at ES) and is -4

In that same time period, Pahlsson has 5 points (all at ES) and is +3.

Take away Horcoff’s PP time and you’re left with a player who has 21ES points and is -21.

Pahlsson has 16 ES points and is -3 and I would wager, if he was playing with the Canucks all season, his numbers would be substantially better.

53. cabbiesmacker says:

knighttown:
    So…is anyone close to having the discussion about buying out Ryan Whitney over the summer?For all the worries about Horcoff and others this is the “dead money” in my eyes.Especially when you consider that as long as he’s on the roster people still pencil him into the Top 4.I believe Ashley(?) (our resident doctor) discussed his prognosis a few months ago and felt his career was likely going to be over and I can’t say I’ve seen any improvement.

One more year at $4m isn’t the end of the world and if he slots down lower than top 4 that might be indicative of management actually having a clue.

I don’t know if his play has been influenced as much by the injury as it has been by the time off. In effect he’s missed the equivalent of a full season played in the last two. Tough for a D especially if he’s being thrown into a top 4 role or with Corey Potter as your #1 line mate.

He’s +6 in his last 10 games, averaging more than 21 mins per, and upwards of 23 mins per his last 3. Third highest avg TOI/G of all our D this season and highest ppg of the lot despite the injury.

He spoke Friday about the rust and having to adjust his game to be better positionally going forward.

Way too early to think buyout imo. AND…if he were to return to anywhere close to normal over the offseason it should be him as the captain over Horcoff, not that stripping your current is a great plan. Whitney’s very tight with the kids and probably the best of all the players in that dressing room. Likes playing in Edmonton too which can’t be said for many other current NHL’ers.

54. FPB94 says:

Semin: (This year his worst)

RELCORSI: 5,99
    P/60: 2,19
    +-ON/60: 0,53
    Zonestart similar to zonefinish
    QC: (9th F)
    QT: (3rd F)

At worst he can kill the soft parade. If we went midways i suggest he’d be able to handle it. He’s pretty good on the PP too,

55. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF,

If the Canucks had Horcoff in place of Pahlsson right now, playing Pahlsson minutes, assuming H isn’t completely f’d bodywise, they aren’t stronger right now? Cmon DSF.

Praying your Nucks don’t have to meet the Hawks with Toews back by chance? :)

56. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94,

Sure but he fights like a girl.

57. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker:
    DSF,

Praying your Nucks don’t have to meet the Hawks with Toews back by chance?

If the Canucks had Horcoff instead of Pahlsson, they would have to get rid of another roster player to accommodate his contract so would be worse off.

You seem to be continuing to ignore Horcoff”s dismal performance at ES…he’s getting absolutely killed.

Pahlsson isn’t.

That Pahlsson makes less than half of what Horcoff makes, it’s a no brainer.

As for the Hawks, I’m not sure you’ve noticed but only 2 teams in the WC have allowed more goals than the Hawks…Edmonton and Columbus.

That’s not normally a recipe for playoff success.

Always a great series though but Chicago may have trouble getting to the second round.

Looks like they’ll be going up against either Detroit or Nashville.

58. FPB94 says:

cabbiesmacker,

That’s why we’ll get him for nothing. MUHAHAHHHA

Weird, some comments get eaten somewhere…

60. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF:

That’s not normally a recipe for playoff success.

There’s fewer beachballs on a Cancun beach than behind Roberto in April.

Just close your eyes and conjure up the following playoff images bud…..Dave Bolland….Patrick Kane. Then for good luck toss in Duncan Keith’s elbow.

No reaching for your Ritalin after either.

Pahlsson rel corsi -9.2 Horcoff rel corsi -1.4.

A good chunk of this disparity can probably be chalked up to 5v5 ONSV%

Horcoff .907
    Pahlsson .934

I’m still not convinced that moving Belanger into Horcoff’s role if Horcoff gets bought will be much of a drop off.

62. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94:
    cabbiesmacker,
    That’s why we’ll get him for nothing. MUHAHAHHHA

Now now. We’re talking Les Habitants here dude. You’ll get him for $10M per for 7.

63. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Weird, some comments get eaten somewhere…

Then some comments are doing better than me these days.

weeks,

years.

sigh

64. FPB94 says:

Cabbie: One man’s garbage is another’s treasure.

Idk why so many people seem to brag on guys because they’re playing below expecations, and seem to prefer lesser players who fill them.

Truth is there’s not that much good players in the NHL.

65. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94:
    Cabbie: One man’s garbage is another’s treasure.

I hear ya FPB. Scotty Gomez for example.

That contract might be the only thing keeping Oiler fans from going all lemming over Horcoff’s the past 2 years.

Or storming the Oilers head office with pitchforks and rope in hand.

I’ve always adhered to the philosophy that if you’re going to go down in flames it’s nice to have some company along for the trip.

Un toast à l’hab

Woodguy:
    Weird, some comments get eaten somewhere…

You can get the Ducks at -155 right now.

I’d set it at -220 or so, maybe -200 since they played in PHX last night.

Lots of value there.

Lowetide: None in the catcher, WG. Just flew back from Vancouver, man what a quick flight. I wonder if Schneider would consider making it this summer #offersheet

Weird.

Was trying to respond to a post, everything went fine but wouldn’t show up.

Did it with the respond and it was fine. Might be a filter setting on Mozilla’s new version.

I’m certainly hoping Hartikainen arrives in training camp playing like he does at the end of each season. And for god sakes Oilers, if he or Paajarvi struggle early, stick with them!

Nice to see Harski pot one.

71. delooper says:

Pot two! Hartakainen potter.

What the fuck is Sbisa thinking waving his stick at that?

Hope they give it to Harski.

Well, that’s nice. Even one of those depth picks turning into an actual player is a big deal. I’m glad for him, believe he’s earned it.

74. delooper says:

It looks to be shaping up to be a battle of the Finns.

Teemu again!!

Wait a minute…

Teemu’s 3
    Everyone else 0

76. delooper says:

What’s the call on that Ryan -> Potter hit?

77. ASkoreyko says:

Maybe Anaheim would take Gagner for Smith-Pelly to add some depth beyond their three stars? I know, I know but it is nice to dream.

I love how Smith-Pelly plays the game.

78. delooper says:

If Hartakainen can score two goals for every one Selanne has scored, he’ll have a pretty good career.

79. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    Pahlsson rel corsi -9.2 Horcoff rel corsi -1.4.

A good chunk of this disparity can probably be chalked up to 5v5 ONSV%

Horcoff .907
    Pahlsson .934

80. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker: I’m sure you’ve noticed who you have in goal and his track record in big games?? hehehe

There’s fewer beachballs on a Cancun beach than behind Roberto in April.

No reaching for your Ritalin after either.

Minn 4 Chicago 3 in the second period.

Emery .778.

81. cabbiesmacker says:

If thats not a penalty / game misconduct / suspension then officiating in this league is an even bigger joke than I thought it was. Thats saying a lot. If the Oilers, (Renney) do nothing to respond then they are even a bigger bunch of pussies than I gave them credit for. And that’s really saying a lot.

There is only one answer for Ryan’s hit. We’re down Dmen so Eager needs to be instructed to go right after Ryan and start swinging for the fences. This game means nada to either team, 5 mins, an instigator, a game misconduct, lose by 27 goals…who cares?. Just because this was a bigger defenceman named Corey Potter that took the hit you don’t let it go by without retribution. Show some mettle for once in 5 years and don’t leave it to Ryan Smyth to be the man who has to do it.

I cannot believe the apathy here for the whole situation. If it had been Eberle or RNH taking the hit there would have been crying towels all round. Did I lose track of where we are in the standings and what this game means in the grand scheme of things?

82. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF: You realize that BTN is now showing Pahlsson’s ONSV% from Vancouver, not Columbus, right?

Who cares? You’re still wrong. The only reason Pahlssons even in a conversation along with Horcoff if the contract terms.

83. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF,

Hows Mary Kates concussion??

Duncan Keith 1

I can’t believe the Ducks don’t have 5 goals against this defense. Seriously. Some of the blue tonight for Edmonton look like they need a walker to make the turn.

No, its blended.

BTN always blends traded players stats.

His GP is 76 on the same stat line.

DSF: Minn 4 Chicago 3 in the second period.

Emery .778.

Gilbert +1 with a point.

87. Gret99zky says:

His Bark is worse than his fight.

88. delooper says:

Way to go Barker! That’s a sweet elbow.

89. DSF says:

Woodguy: No, its blended.

BTN always blends traded players stats.

His GP is 76 on the same stat line.

Agreed.

90. delooper says:

Time to see how many players can fit in the penalty box, is it that game?

91. DSF says:

cabbiesmacker:
    DSF,

Hows Mary Kates concussion??

Duncan Keith 1

It’s less severe than Toews” apparently.

Dubnyk with some strong moves.

93. spoiler says:

On that 4 on 3, Horcoff displayed some brilliant blindside positioning.

94. spoiler says:

Doobie doobie do…

95. rich says:

Temu’s – 3
    Ryan’s – 0
    DD – playing solid

DSF: So, what you’re saying is the opposition doesn’t score much when Pahlsson is on the ice.

Agreed.

Its been shown by a few guys that players have basically no influence on ONSV%.

It can vary quite wildly for the same player from year to year.

You know that though.

97. Brett Gee says:

Belanger playing for that 4th line spot next season, and the one after that. Someone tell him that the 3 spot is still available.

98. pboy says:

What the fuck is wrong with the Sens? Don’t they know that rebuilds are supposed to take 5-6 years!

99. cabbiesmacker says:

Hey WG

Same schmeebs behind Dubnyk that period as last game. Gotta love season ticket holding schmeebs and I must remember to mark the Oilers vs Ducks games on the calendar from now on. Appreciative eyes now firmly locked over Hiller’s shoulder for the third.

Well done by Smyth and Barker. A couple of return headshots, a couple of left handers to the beak, and one nice penaltybox tradeoff. Good to see a couple of players didn’t read the how to be softer than babyshit Oiler handbook.

Nice answer Eager you POS. Crusher to rusher to usher.

100. cabbiesmacker says:

pboy:

Turris with 4 points proving he’s not just another kid with a milf mommy.

And that Philly / Pittsburgh playoff series is going to be some seriously real hockey.

101. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF: It’s less severe than Toews” apparently.

Didn’t know Toews suffered his at the hands of a Canuck. hmmm

Just resting up for the long playoff run. No need to rush back when the guys around you are one of the hotter teams in the league the past dozen or so.

102. Gret99zky says:

Brett Gee:
    Belanger playing for that 4th line spot next season, and the one after that.Someone tell him that the 3 spot is still available.

Belanger is more family man than hockey player nowadays. He doesn’t want to scare his daughters by coming home with a black eye.

Belanger is semi-retired.

103. spoiler says:

cabbiesmacker: Turris with 4 points proving he’s not just another kid with a milf mommy.

I wanna see it happen more often before I believe it. The playoffs will be a nice look-see.

pboy:

Ottawa rebuild:

1) Have Spezza stay healthy

2) Draft Norris candidate 15th overall 3 years ago

4) Have Alfredson stay healthy

5) Pick Anderson for nothing

6) Have young forwards ready to make step from AHL

7) Trade from strength (Young D) to fill hole (2C Turris)

8) Playoffs

Oiler rebuild

1) Tank and get high picks

2) ????????

3) Stanley!!

105. pboy says:

Woodguy: Ottawa rebuild:

1) Have Spezza stay healthy

2) Draft Norris candidate 15th overall 3 years ago

4) Have Alfredson stay healthy

5) Pick Anderson for nothing

6) Have young forwards ready to make step from AHL

7) Trade from strength (Young D) to fill hole (2C Turris)

Playoffs

Oiler rebuild

1) Tank and get high picks

2) ????????

3) Stanley!!

Lol

WordPress inserting random emoticons again.

Also,

I like schmeebs

107. spoiler says:

VDV in a good spot.

108. Brett Gee says:

Woodguy: Ottawa rebuild:

1) Have Spezza stay healthy

2) Draft Norris candidate 15th overall 3 years ago

4) Have Alfredson stay healthy

5) Pick Anderson for nothing

6) Have young forwards ready to make step from AHL

7) Trade from strength (Young D) to fill hole (2C Turris)

Playoffs

Oiler rebuild

1) Tank and get high picks

2) ????????

3) Stanley!!

Your calculations seem to be correct. Let me check… yup, it all adds up. Of course, there are many different ways to Stanley.

109. Brett Gee says:

Sam “Invisible” Gagner. I mean, is he even playing?

110. rich says:

Have never seen that penalty call before.

111. jake70 says:

Lol, Ryan Jones just saw his life flash in front of him on that block attempt.

dubnyk nice tonight and also Hartikainen with some strong work after losing a puck battle. dogged and slashed the ANA forward all the way to the net. I really like the guy.

113. Gret99zky says:

what a pass by the Nuge.

awesome.

114. gogliano says:

For all the talk about “weak goals,” DD has given the Oilers league average save percentage when he plays. It’s also likely that he’ll finish the season with a .500 point percentage or better.

Keeping DD, eating NK’s salary, and bringing in another 1A/1B type would make a world of difference next year.

115. bookje says:

Shultz is a very good d-man .
    DD has earned another season.
    Barker shows some spirit with that fight, makes me wonder if next year might be his year. He is a first round draft pick you know 8)

116. pboy says:

Where’s Hemky?

117. rich says:

Hemsky ‘s shoulder was hurting – he has not skated in the 3rd period.

118. jake70 says:

PBOY, wondering the same….haven’t seen 83 all period.

119. bookje says:

pboy:
    Where’s Hemky?

Back at the hotel, there was a show on tv he didn’t want to miss.

120. icecastles says:

jake70:
    PBOY, wondering the same….haven’t seen 83 all period.

Tencer announced he left the game after the 2nd with a shoulder injury. Goodie.

121. jake70 says:

icecastles: Tencer announced he left the game after the 2nd with a shoulder injury. Goodie.

April fool right???

122. spoiler says:

Dubnyk is putting together a pretty good season.

And the Oilers over take the Habs for 28th.

at LA, ANA, VAN left.

Loss, ?, Loss.

They still might finish 29th.

MTL has:

TBY, at CAR, TOR

It will be a photo finish.

That was all DD and perhaps one of the few barns with worse ice than EDM.

Oilers were out played, out chanced and out shot.

DD is .920 in his last 29 games.

He deserves a next year.

They MUST dump Khabby. Eat the $$ and bring someone else in.

If Tambellini can’t admit his mistake fire him and hire someone with more clarity.

124. asiaoil says:

Of course DD has earned another season – he’s cheap, has a winning record on the worst team in the league over the last 2 years, and a .915 SP over that period. He’s no Vezina winner but he will have a long solid career as a 40-50 game a year guy who may be able to go nuclear in the playoffs occasionally. Get another decent 1B guy and we are fine next year.

jake70: April fool right???

Unfortunately no.

Insert DSF comment here ——->

126. cabbiesmacker says:

bookje: Back at the hotel, there was a show on tv he didn’t want to miss.

Well it is the Game of Thrones season premiere tonight ya know.

127. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: Unfortunately no.

Insert DSF comment here ——->

Kyle Wellwood has manly man shoulders.

128. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Oiler rebuild

1) Tank and get high picks
    2) ????????
    3) Stanley!!

Har. You’re being a lot more specific about the timeline than Oilers management has been.

129. rich says:

If Vish/v3.5 could find a way to move Khabi to Europe next season they would REALLY be doing good work.

That and adding more actual NHL d-men should be top priority this summer.

Guess Hemsky’s injury means Renney has no choice but to play Omark tomorrow.

130. icecastles says:

rich: Guess Hemsky’s injury means Renney has no choice but to play Omark tomorrow.

131. sliderule says:

If barker and Potter can play on this team next year we will be top five in the lottery for sure.

Horcoff seems to be playing hurt and showing his age.Belanger is useless and SOFT.

Let’s face it if Smyth want more than 3.5 for a ONE year contract let him walk.

They had better sign one of the free agent defencemen and one tough forward with some skill.

This is a big order for a team whose pro scouts don’t have a clue.

132. HBomb says:

icecastles: Stauffer said the same thing not long ago. At this point, I think ANY shoulder issue that forces 83 to leave the game can be seen as a very worrying sign. He says he’s at 100% for the first time in two years, but there is so much spin on everything that comes from pro sports teams that it’s hard to know how much truth there is in that statement, and if it means he really is rehabbed and recovered fully. His game doesn’t seem as reckless as it used to be, but he still absorbs far more abuse than a human being should.

Icecastles: first off, let me qualify this by saying I was 100% behind extending Hemsky and like the dollars and term on the deal.

However, we need to face reality that, going forward, Hemsky is going to miss a few games a year because of his shoulder regardless of if he thinks he’s close to 100%.

I had my left shoulder repaired after having a chronic dislocation problem for four years after suffering the first incident playing rugby when I was 19. It took a full year to get close to full range-of-motion back and, at best, it’s 95% of what a normal shoulder should be (this is straight from the surgeon). Even though it is usually fine, I’ll still suffer one or two occurrences a year where I’ll strain it in some fashion and it ends up quite sore for 2-3 days afterwards.

Moral of the story: even though it appears Hemsky is getting closer to being “fully recovered”, the simple reality is that he’s going to deal with this stuff the rest of his career.

133. icecastles says:

HBomb,

Wise words, HBomb. I went through something similar with a wrist injury and it’s much the same story. Damaged my MCL this spring play gin Ditchball (waiting to find out if it will need surgery) and I’m hearing similar things there. Lesson: joint injuries are a bitch.

I generally put myself in the cheerful/optimistic group of Oilers fans and don’t see storm clouds over every horizon. But years of bad luck, bad contracts and bad injuries with the team have made me a bit gun-shy… I’m very anxious to hear a status update on Hemsky, though the only real tell will be if he’s in the lineup for the remaining few games.

134. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Ottawa rebuild:

1) Have Spezza stay healthy

2) Draft Norris candidate 15th overall 3 years ago

4) Have Alfredson stay healthy

5) Pick Anderson for nothing

6) Have young forwards ready to make step from AHL

7) Trade from strength (Young D) to fill hole (2C Turris)

Playoffs

Oiler rebuild

1) Tank and get high picks

2) ????????

3) Stanley!!

I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to training camp, when we can all see the Super October 2012 version of: these FIVE TIMES CUP WINNER Edmonton Oilers.

hunter1909: Yes, but can you name another NHL organisation that has fans prepared to pay through the nose for lottery-chase hockey?

They are getting some great kids.

They are adding fuck all else.

I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised by some trades or signings this summer, but I’m certainly not betting on it.

Not with this crew.

136. bookje says:

cabbiesmacker: Well it is the Game of Thrones season premiere tonight ya know.

I actually thought of that…

137. Traktor says:

Ales Hemsky is a bad, bad man.

138. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy:
    Weird, some comments get eaten somewhere…

Just not the right ones, unfortunately.

139. vishcosity says:

Oilers win! All she does is smile. I saw good the cut of Dubnyk’s jib. And it was awesome.

140. DSF says: