G82 Oilers at Canucks

So anyway, Mike Illitch hires Jim Devellano in 1982 and Jimmy D picks Steve Yzerman in the ’83 draft and in the soonafter Detroit won the Stanley. If “soonafter” in your world is 15 years, then that’s what happened. Reality? Far different story.

By 1989, Devellano was in real trouble with Red Wings fans and the Illitch family. As GM, he went to work, trading young Adam Oates to St. Louis for Bernie Federko and signing veteran defender Borje Salming. He also grabbed Marc Habschied for good measure, but the bottom fell out in a big way. In 89-90, Detroit fell to 28 wins, missed the postseason and got their coach (Jacques Demers) fired and their GM (Devellano) bumped upstairs in favor of Bryan Murray.

That was 1990. It had been 8 years since Mike Illitch hired Jimmy D to bring glory back to Hockeytown. It would be another 7 years before Stanley came home.

I don’t know too much about Darryl Katz. I suspect he likes it that way, and that’s cool a man has a right to privacy. I have said for some time now that the report card is in for this management group and what we’re waiting for is that point when Mr. Katz reaches the conclusion (as did Mr. Illitch in 1990) that it is time to re-work the offices and the name plates.

Steve Tambellini and Tom Renney are without contracts for next season, and I think Kevin Lowe might be without one too. It’s a reasonable guess (made less so because I predict it every spring) that the Oilers may move around the job descriptions over the next few weeks. Kevin Lowe might play a more prominent role, Steve Tambellini might do the things that Jim Devellano did after getting bumped upstairs (scouting, business side) and the club has to decide on their coaching staff and pro scouts.

It all comes down to Mr. Katz. I don’t think we should be surprised if the Oilers give another contract to Steve Tambellini and decide to retain Tom Renney too. But I don’t think it’s a certainty those things happen this summer.

This is our new dog Ziggy. She’s chewing a hedgehog and in just four months has gone from tentative little doggie running around making a mess to running around the house like she owns it and making a mess. I promised her the Oilers would make the playoffs before she turns 18. She’ll turn 18 in dog years spring 2014.

Will the Oilers make it?

NATION RADIO

A busy Saturday, noon start on Team 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis from the Nations Network, Cult of Hockey, Hockey Prospectus and ESPN Insider. We’ll talk about the Oilers season, the draft, the importance of adding a defenseman and other items that might be on the shopping list.
  • Jason Gregor from The Jason Gregor Show on Team 1260. There’s a reason his show is a must listen for Edmontonians, Jason has an opinion and brings it every time. We’ll discuss the Oilers management, the draft and I’ll ask how many holes the Oilers can close up in one summer.
  • Danny Gray from Leafs Nation, It’s been a weird year for Toronto and the knives are out for everyone. I’ll ask Danny what the Leafs need to do and find out which defender might be available via trade.
  • Corey Graham Edmonton Oil Kings pbp man updates us on the team that cannot lose these days. Edmonton is up in their 2nd round series and Oiler prospects are looking good. We’ll get an update from Corey.
  • Kent Wilson from Flames Nation and Hockey Prospectus. Calgary is facing an off-season of great change, and Mike Keenan didn’t make things better. We’ll talk about it with Kent.
  • Robert Cleave from Flames and Jets Nation. Robert gave us great insight into the Jets down the stretch and this time we’ll talk about the owner’s sublime press conference, the entertaining coach and the team that conquered central Canada this winter.

169 Responses to "G82 Oilers at Canucks"

And here I thought you posted a picture of Yz because the Oilers made another trade and v4.0 told you that Stevie Yz loved the player when he saw him play one weekend 4 years ago.

2. stevezie says:

Once upon a time when you drafted a guy he was yours until you decided to trade him. Sure made team-building easier.
    Of course, it also sounds kind of illegal, so as much as free agency is a pain it’s still probably better.

3. hunter1909 says:

Interesting how they spin Renney’s return, since he’s already lost the team as they say.

4. Gret99zky says:

Wait to see who becomes available in the next couple of months.

Will Edmonton born Lindy Ruff be looking for a job? How much would it take to get Tippett out of PHX?

FFS, not Crawford.

A bigger investment in Pro Scouting would likely serve the team well in the next few seasons.

5. Spartacus says:

hunter1909:

Who are “they”?

Lowetide and his dog? Ya, they’re spinmasters, especially Ziggy. Genius.

Spartacus: Who are “they”?

Lowetide and his dog?Ya, they’re spinmasters, especially Ziggy.Genius.

I think he probably meant the Oilers lol.

7. neojanus says:

I kind of wish I were a bacteria in Katz’s brain to see if I can discern his thoughts this year. I’d be a fly on the wall, but I’m not convinced he’d speak out loud to make that transformation helpful.

He has to be a bit ticked, if not because of the performance, then because the Oilers have looked like a laugh a few times with the call-up error, Hall’s injury (which fans have forgiven more so than TV panels that have battered us with thumbs down), and some of the public relations mishaps.

For a guy like that, the atmosphere of the team being laughed at for strange decisions must push patience.

Despite his commitment to the team, I wonder how long it takes before he actually begins to take a personal interest in the lack of performance. I’d expect a guy like that would take failure very poorly if repeated over too long a time.

I am very intrigued for next week’s shenanigans (if there are any).

I predict that Horcoff will be this year’s Thoreson.

He’ll score a late goal to break a tie as the Dys will have nothing to play for as the Rags will beat WAS and lock up 1st overall.

MTL will lose to TOR and the Oilers will finish 28th.

CBJ will win the lottery trade the 1st overall to a team that takes Yakopov.

MTL will take Grigorenko

EDM will take Murray.

Book it!

9. Dave Casselman says:

hunter1909:

Hmmm. Renney losing the team comes as news. Could you be more specific insofar as the ‘as they say,’ part goes?

And speaking of the ‘team.’ I guess it probably falls into the category of ‘we’ll never know,’ but geez Louise, how does ST keep his job? He doesn’t manage to win, he manages so as not to lose. Caution can be a wonderful thing, a wonderful trait. But if he does his job properly, there’s not much to be cautious about, is there? He knows the weakness of his current roster, he also knows what/who he’d like to see in their place, so how is it after 3 years+ that he hasn’t come closer to the missing 1-2 Dman, the 3rd and 4th line grit, the goalie, the general upgrade in size? I somehow don’t think it’s caution. I think it’s ineptitude and fear.

10. Lois Lowe says:

Another season down and there have been some improvements but we’re still a terrible hockey team. Hopefully next year we start seeing some of the gains promised from so many years in the wilderness. Lord knows Eberle , Nuge, and Hall make watching the Oilers worthwhile even when they’re the second worst team in the league, but I would really like to care about the playoffs again (aside from wanting Vancouver to lose).

I am never one to advocate change for change’s sake, so I am torn about firing Renney. I actually think he’s been good for the team and would like to see what he can do with a team not bringing in 3 rookies every season. I am indifferent to Tambellini, I think his tenure has been pretty abominable overall, but I don’t really care if he gets a short extension. We’ll fire him sometime next season when we’re still mired in the Western Conference basement.

IF Mr. Katz wrote down “improvement” on a piece of paper last summer then ST should lose his job. He made some bets on July 1 and the only deal that worked out was the one the asst GM did in his office outside the big wheels.

Katz has to fire him for Eager, Belanger, Sutton and Barker. Some of those were imo good bets that didn’t work out (belanger) but some of them–Barker being #1–looked bad the day they signed.

Unless they plan to draft top 2 five seasons in a row ala the Penguins, and then he’ll get a new deal.

12. admiralmark says:

Pro Scouting will absolutely be a critical area that needs improvement in the next forseeable future. Belanger, Khabby, Eager have not been quality pick ups. And filling those gaps around the superstars over the next seasons with players that have value contracts is what will be the difference between winning and losing the cup. Tambellini does nothing to invoke confidence in his ability to wheel and deal with the the adept GM’s in this league.

13. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    I predict that Horcoff will be this year’s Thoreson.

MTL will lose to TOR and the Oilers will finish 28th.

CBJ will win the lottery trade the 1st overall to a team that takes Yakopov.

MTL will take Grigorenko

EDM will take Murray.

Book it!

14. russ99 says:

Lois Lowe,

I’m actually happier with Tambellini than Renney at this point.

ST brought in free agents to fill a supposed need in the summer, ST called up lots of young players, ST re-signed Hemsky when there was no way we’d get fair value and ST made the good but unpopular Gilbert-Schultz trade, being decisive when he thought it would make the team better.

A week of Krueger tells me that Renney is too old-school for this group, a group that will continue to bring young players into the mix. I hope Katz sees the same thing.

15. Ribs says:

Woodguy:
    And here I thought you posted a picture of Yz because the Oilers made another trade and v4.0 told you thatStevie Yz loved the player when he saw him play one weekend 4 years ago.

Hah! Yes. I’ve been waiting for someone to start on this after his Yzerman quote.

As far as Katz and the Oilers…It kind of sounds like he has other things on his mind right now. I don’t expect too much change.

I think Renney’s probably only “lost” some of the veterans as they’re likely the only ones that notice the bizarre stuff Renney does sometimes. The kids are probably just happy they are getting lots of ice time and things are going well for them early in their careers (minus injuries). So the vets opinions probably don’t hold much weight when it comes to firing the coach right now.

I’d have a hard time firing Renney unless there was a clearly better option available at this time. I don’t believe there is.

Tambellini has been cruising along as scheduled so far. I can’t see a big reason to replace him just yet. I think after the start the team had this year we thought this could be the year for a playoff push but we all knew what kind of percentages they were riding and that there was little reason to believe that they could sustain that for an entire season. I think we’ll hear and see a clear and decisive message to the fanbase from management when this team is ready to compete. Is it next season? I’m not sure. If they try to clean up the back end of the roster and probably the biggest tell will be when they grab a goalie and flush Khabibulin, then perhaps they are ready. I don’t think you can flush Tambellini until he fails while trying to compete (Well, of course you cooouuldd…).

A request to LT for next seasons Game Day threads….. Could you throw the time the game starts in the headers?

DSF: If STL beats Dallas, the Canucks still need a win to take first place in the WC.

Good to know.

Hope the Dys have something to play for.

If you are gonna finish in the lottery, might as well finish as low as possible.

Ribs,

Worst team other than an imploded CBJ is terrible.

I think its time for him to go.

17. VOR says:

It is a bit early to panic. I think there has been real progress year over year (more points, better PK, PP). In fact, last year it was impossible to imagine a series of realistic moves the Oilers could have made that would have taken them to the playoffs. This year it is possible though the moves are still a bit unlikely and there are still too many of them but we are inching closer.

For the record we now only need

1) More grit
    2) More size
    4) A huge, talented winger who hits, back checks and thinks the game at a very high level to play with RNH & Eberle
    5) A two way forward who can play both sides of the ice, fill in adequately on the PK and PP, is very fast, has offence and hits people
    6) An outstanding offensive right handed D-man, bonus if he’s seriously off his rocker
    7) Another Nick Schultz, calm, steady, hits more and blocks even more shots
    8) A true looney tune D-man who has many years experience in the NHL and had learned to pick his spots
    9) A second 1A goaltender
    10) A big center that hits, scores greasy goals, and plays decent D.

Of course items 3-10 probably fix items one and two.

18. Bruce McCurdy says:

VOR,

VOR: 3) A veteran heart on his sleeve team leader to mentor Hall and protect him when he is on the ice

A Ryan Smyth type?

A Gordie Howe type? (Get real)

A Ryan Jones type? :)

8 ) A true looney tune D-man who has many years experience in the NHL and had learned to pick his spots

An Andy Sutton type?

19. Bruce McCurdy says:

Steve Yzerman was at the Oil Kings game last night. While I didn’t meet him, I passed the place where he was seated during the game and found a few post-it notes left in strategic spots. Interesting thoughts – “Roli has a couple good seasons left” … “Vinnie will offer real value for money on the last few years of his contract”, stuff like that.

;)

Bruce McCurdy:

Oh no!!!

Burn those notes Bruce.

Lowe has wanted Vinnie for years and years.

Burn it all!

21. hunter1909 says:

Spartacus: Who are “they”?

Lowetide and his dog?Ya, they’re spinmasters, especially Ziggy.Genius.

Your reading comprehension skills might need work.

22. hunter1909 says:

russ99: Renney is giving players playing time, setting the lines, line-matching the bad vets to death, putting goons and bit-players in the lineup and having younger skill players who need icetime to develop rot in the pressbox, puts Belanger on the powerplay, is inflexible, pushes an unwavering defensive system even when it helps nobody, makes the kids tune out and doesn’t win hockey games.

Kind of sums things up.

23. Ribs says:

Woodguy: I think he tried to compete this year. (to improve, not necessarily make the playoffs)

Well, when I say compete, I mean to seriously try to get into the playoffs. Tambellini didn’t address many of the key issues that could make this possible in both the summer and at the trade deadline this season. The inaction speaks volumes as to where the team is in their rebuild plans.

Ribs,

Well, now they will have a top 15 scorer (Eberle), a Calder Candidate and 5v4 Ninja (RNH), and one of the most dynamic players in the game (Hall).

Add to that the lottery pick this year.

Its time to bloody well compete.

Not buying the rebuild meme if (when) Tambellini leaves gaping holes in the roster again this summer.

2 Dmen, 1 Goalie at minimum is required. A Hartnell type in the forwards would be welcome as well.

25. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    I predict that Horcoff will be this year’s Thoreson.

MTL will lose to TOR and the Oilers will finish 28th.
    CBJ will win the lottery trade the 1st overall to a team that takes Yakopov.
    MTL will take Grigorenko
    EDM will take Murray.
    Book it!

I don’t see things happening that way WG.

Horcoff being Hockey’s Superman loses traction on a wet log and fractures an ankle while running the Grouse Grind 3 hours before gametime

The Canucks lay a mega beatdown on the Oilers during which Burrows bites off 2 of Jordan Eberle’s fingers and Jannick Hansen pummels Ben Eager in a spirited affair. (sidenote: Eberle returns in the third period sans phalanges but only manages 2 assists.)

Max Pacioretty scoes the trick vs the MakeBelieves, the last one a deflection off Phaneufs distended cranium, and the Habs finish in the 28 hole.

Scott Howson is rushed to hospital in a straightjacket just prior to the the first round commencing, jabbering like an idiot and suffering severe dehydration. Rick Nash steps in to make the pick, gives the BJ’s management team the finger from the podium and announces the team has traded the first overall to Toronto for Jeff Reimer.

Brian Burke struts to the podium with a shit-eating grin on his face, stares deep into Kevin Lowe’s eyes and selects Ryan Murray.

Pandemonium erupts at the Oilers team table and during the kerfuffle Duane Sutter announces he’s been a Calgary mole and Stu MacGregor trips Katz’ kid midway through his 38th lap around the table, muttering that he’s hated Harpo Marx since childhood.

Steve Tambellini sprints to the podium, selects Neil Karpotsev on his first attempt, Noel Yakushev with his second, and finally gets it right on his 3rd go. He and Lowe head back to the team hotel for expensive scotch, much backslapping, and happy endings.

Nail Yakupov is touted highly as “exactly what the Oilers have needed” all summer long, takes to the ice on the first day of training camp and promptly shatters a shoulder and is lost to the team for the entire 2012-2013 season.

cabbiesmacker: I don’t see things happening that way WG.

Scott Howson is rushed to hospital in a straightjacket just prior to the the first round commencing, jabbering like an idiot and suffering severe dehydration.Rick Nash steps in to make the pick, gives the BJ’s management team the finger from the podium and announces the team has traded the first overall to Toronto for Jeff Reimer.

That was my second prediction.

27. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: That was my second prediction.

That and ST forces Laddy to change his last name to Schmeeb.

28. shawwwood says:

If Katz gives Tambellini a new contract he’s saying he’s satisfied with the pace of the rebuild. He sees improvement of the team (pp/pk/points) and players (smid/petry/eberle/dubnyk). I’m not saying I agree with that decision but how could Tambellini then turn to Renney and say there isn’t enough improvement in team or players so you’re fired?

29. cabbiesmacker says:

VOR:

For the record we now only need

1) More grit
    2) More size

Simple genius solution. All three of Chris Kelly, Dan Paille, and Geg Campbell are UFA’s for Boston. Overpay by 30% and sign all 3. Instant 4 line credibility with 3 line capabilities.

Ok so he doesn’t exactly fill the bill but how about Fluffy McGagner + for Ryan Clowe during the summer? Gagner type money for another year, size, 2LW capable, will hit and mix it up decently, and pots decent points.

OK I’m just pissing around but hey.

30. DSF says:

Seguin finishes with 29G and 67P

31. jake70 says:

Lee and Weeks doing the Montreal – Leaf game….must be Hughson and Simpson doing the Oiler game.

32. Dee Dee says:

What’s with people saying we have to get bigger?

A little too lazy to crunch updated current numbers myself, but this site:

says the Oilers are tied for 3rd tallest in the league, with only Washington and San Jose being ahead of us by a mere .1 of an inch

Not like Washington and San Jose has had any real success, so it’s not like their height advantage has helped them.

Boston is 11th, and they won the cup last year.
    Chicago is tied with Boston, cup winners from two years ago.
    Pittsburgh is 29th.

The difference from the top of the list to the bottom is a whole 1.2 inches.

Edmontons weight rank is a little lower at 11th place, but they are full of young guys that haven’t come close to filling out.

Vancouver is 29th in Weight Rank.

Would you rather have a 6′ 4″ Dustin Penner on your team or a 5′ 9″ Brad Merchand?
    I would take the Little Ball of Hate any day,

33. prairieschooner says:

Nice to see the Leafs help us out by giving up a 3 v 5 shortie
    It would be nice to see the Oilers win, with RNH picking up a few points and we still get the 29th slot

34. DSF says:

Dee Dee:
    What’s with people saying we have to get bigger?

A little too lazy to crunch updated current numbers myself, but this site:

says the Oilers are tied for 3rd tallest in the league, with only Washington and San Jose being ahead of us by a mere .1of an inch

Boston is 11th, and they won the cup last year.
    Chicago is tied with Boston, cup winners from two years ago.
    Pittsburgh is 29th.

The difference from the top of the list to the bottom is a whole 1.2 inches.

Vancouver is 29th in Weight Rank.

Would you rather have a6′ 4″ Dustin Penner on your team or a 5′ 9″ Brad Merchand?
    I would take the Little Ball of Hate any day,

The Little Ball of Hate just finished the regular season with 28 goals 55 points and +31.

Now THAT’S a draft steal.

35. Dee Dee says:

One other little tidbit, man games lost to injury:

Oilers aren’t even close to the top, they were 13th as of March 17th.

I remember the good old days when fans and the team were mad as hell when they finished so poorly, now its just business as usual.

This team stinks.

Management stinks for not filling the holes before the start of the season, and the large number of poor contracts and bad signings.

The coaching stinks from the misuse of young ones and bizarre roster and line choices made during the season.

Cut out the players that are here as stop gap measures, and what do you have left?

One more year.

And Hall and Eberle are going to be negotiating their first RFA contracts.

36. danny says:

In a perfect world, MTL wins, NYR lose, STL win.

Then we can cheer for the Oilers to be spoilers against VAN tonight with impunity.

danny:
    In a perfect world, MTL wins, NYR lose, STL win.

Looks like the Rangers are onboard.

38. sliderule says:

Renney is probably gone but he is not the problem.
    Bad power play last year fixed
    Bad penalty kill fixed
    Too many men on ice usually controlled by assistants fixed in last half of season.

On other hand Tambo
    Add defense help sign Barker and Sutton unfixed
    Add tougness signe eager unfixed.
    Add help at center sign Belanger fixed but he didn’t know what a pussy and locker room lawyer he signed.
    Need to add more defensive help trade puck mover for a defender liked by Stu in junior unfixed.

You tell me who should be replaced?

The Barker signing was a really disturbing item imo. I don’t think it made sense on any level and it didn’t work out at all. PLUS it cost dollars and the possible upside (he worked out and they had an rfa defenseman worth signing) was so small it was insane.

You know, I hated the Habs but Sam Pollock never made a move that bad, and neither did Sather. You bring those guys in an in invite for crying out loud.

40. DSF says:

There may be upgrades available for peanuts but Tambellini feels he has to lock in his #7 and #8 before someone signs them out from under his nose.

DSF: And then they go and re-sign Potter and Sutton well before any decision needed to be made.

42. "Steve Smith" says:

Because people constantly seem to forget this: Sutton was not a free agent signing; he arrived via trade (and a damned good one, though Tambellini doesn’t get too much credit for that considering that that damned good trade was only there to be made because of a terrible free agent signing the previous summer).

(People also constantly forgot that Jim Vandermeer was the product of a trade. I actually had to correct Joanne Ireland on that point once. She was more gracious than I probably deserved. Not sure what it is about people’s memories and overpaid defensive defenceman the Oilers acquire by shipping out terrible, overpaid players.)

“Steve Smith”:

(People also constantly forgot that Jim Vandermeer was the product of a trade.I actually had to correct Joanne Ireland on that point once.She was more gracious than I probably deserved.Not sure what it is about people’s memories and overpaid defensive defenceman the Oilers acquire by shipping out terrible, overpaid players.)

Well, he was a signing by the Oilers recently. That’s what we were referencing (unless you were talking to someone higher up the chain).

Refs screw Habs out of a goal. Usually that’s a good thing.

44. DSF says:

Lowetide: The Potter deal was meh because they can send him to the AHL but I do agree on Sutton. A team with so many 5′s didn’t need another and they should have traded him at the deadline.

Something to consider.

If there is a buyout amnesty in the next CBA, there will be a host of decent players available for likely 10 or 20 cents on the dollar.

Locking yourself into marginal contracts right now is just goofy.

45. "Steve Smith" says:

The proximate cause of my comment was Sliderule’s “Add defense help sign Barker and Sutton unfixed”, but it’s something I’ve seen repeated a few times.

In isolation, the acquisition of Sutton was a good one, because it shipped out an inferior overpaid defenceman with one year left on his contract for a superior overpaid defenceman with one year left on his contract. Of course, the Oilers then voluntarily overpaid him for another year, which was less good, especially considering the climate (as pointed out by DSF). But even that wouldn’t be so bad, considering that the Oilers are not going to be a cap team next year (the only year on the contract), were it not part of a pattern.

I’m watching 21 Jump Street tonight. I don’t mind waiting a few months for more Oilers hockey.

46. DSF says:

HNIC panel saying Todd Nelson is likely to replace Renney.

47. sliderule says:

@dsf

You are right the early signing of Potter and especially Sutton makes no sense.

Potter was cheap but Sutton at 1.7m doesn’t make sense.

48. gogliano says:

Let me be the first to say that Todd Nelson has lost the room and should be fired.

49. Gret99zky says:

I’d like to see Krueger get the head job.

50. Gret99zky says:

THE BIG QUESTION???

Will Renney push the Nuge to get the Rookie Points Lead??

51. DSF says:

Stamkos hits 60.

Nelson’s performance with OKC has caught the attention of NHL teams. Will the Oilers move him up or let him go ala Claude Julien?

The NFL often gets called the “What have you done for me lately league”.

Managers can be brutal in cutting players who have a history with a team if their performance falls off. Non-guaranteed contracts has helped create this culture.

The NHL on the other hand, has long had a culture of looking at a player’s pedigree/draft position regardless of the years that have passed since the player was draft age.

Its one of my biggest pet peeves with some NHL managers.

The Oilers are the worst perpetrators of this.

The Barker signing highlights this. As does the Gilbert/Shultz trade.

Both in Tambellini’s trade media avail, as well as on Oil Change, old information on the player was used to help evaluate Shultz.

They asked MBS his opinion on Shultz. Didn’t matter that Stu scouted him 12 years ago.

Tambellini said more than once what a rave review one of his competitors, Steve Yzerman, gave Shultz when he played for him on Team Canada.

Shultz played for Yz and Team Canada in 2007. 5 years ago.

It’s like its permanent amateur hour with these guys.

What was never said was that Shultz wasn’t playing top pairing minutes this year, he was 3rd on MIN in TOI.

Gilbert was 1st on the OIlers in TOI and has been 1st in MIN too.

Here’s an update on how Gilbert is doing in MIN

I like Shultz as a player, good solid LH D-first defender like Scuderi and Orpik etc. Oilers needed his type.

They just paid too much.

I fear one reason they paid too much is because they don’t understand what types of players are tougher to get (RH multi-tool Dmen), and that they rely on old information too much when making decisions because that’s how they were taught, and that’s what they know.

If they don’t move Methusala off the roster and add a top 4 Dman, next year will be more of the same.

Incremental increases, but no big jump to playoff contention.

Gret99zky:
    I’d like to see Krueger get the head job.

Me too.

55. gogliano says:

E. Cole with his most important goal for the Oilers.

56. gd says:

At this point I am cheering for Phoenix to get eliminated as quickly as possible to ensure their move to Quebec City.

That would free up Tippett

Should help create a bidding war between Montreal and Quebec for Grigerenko (OEL & Hanzal in a reverse Lindros trade?)

Also there might be a feeding frenzy for guys not too happy to be leaving sunny, low tax Arizona for cold, high tax Quebec. Whoever has Tippett will have the inside scoop on the most desirable Yotes.

57. jimbones100 says:

If the last 2 Years are an indication then securing the 29th spot tonight and getting one of the top 2 picks in this years draft is crucial.

My wife keeps flipping channels between Laurence Welk and 10 Commandments.

I’ve transported back to 1977. I’m out at the farm for Easter and Peasant Vision has only these two options.

Time to head downstairs and watch some hockey.

59. DSF says:

I expect Renney will be be promoted to “Assistant to the Vice President of Remembering the ’80′s” and Nelson will take over.

Like many AHL wunderkind, he’ll be fired at mid season and be replaced by the Hedgehog.

60. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    My wife keeps flipping channels between Laurence Welk and 10 Commandments.

I’ve transported back to 1977.I’m out at the farm for Easter and Peasant Vision has only these two options.

Time to head downstairs and watch some hockey.

Do you have a girlfriend?

Might be time to give her a call. :)

Woodguy:
    My wife keeps flipping channels between Laurence Welk and 10 Commandments.

Time to head downstairs and watch some hockey.

Next um, Bobby and Sissy um will show you um how it’s done (clap clap).

62. Gret99zky says:

gogliano:
    E. Cole with his most important goal for the Oilers.

The #2 pick will really test this scouting staff. The last two were easy plus Seguin and Landeskog are gems as well.

This should get really critical soon.

63. DSF says:

Gret99zky: The #2 pick will really test this scouting staff.The last two were easy plus Seguin and Landeskog are gems as well.

This should get really critical soon.

No guarantee of the second pick.

I’d wager Burke moves up.

Had an interesting conversation with Jason Gregor today. He has actual connections to the team and gave me the impression that the Oilers would take the Russian that doesn’t go #1 overall. Interesting take and perhaps they do take him.

65. Gret99zky says:

I bet they take a Russian and try their luck via trade or UFA/RFA for a top 2D.

God I hope it’s Weber somehow.

66. sliderule says:

@gd
    Tippet would send RNH ,Eberle and Hall to the bench or AHL .Horcoff and Belanger would own the ice.
    I see them a lot in Phoenix and he is a great defensive coach but you want to sign their GM not him.

67. anonymous says:

This is the time, resign Tambelini , bring in Nelson and if they stumble fire the lot and give the team a shot in the arm ala St. Louis. Personally not sure about Tambelini but can’t force a coach on a new g.m.

68. jimbones100 says:

What do we know about Nelson? Why was he successful this year? Did he have the best and most experienced team? How did he use his players? Was his team physical?

69. DSF says:

Vancouver needs 1 point to clinch the President’s Trophy.

Game on.

Pelss with 2 goals tonight so far.

Both hard wrist shots from the circle.

Reports say he has NHL speed and a NHL shot.

Oilers need to sign him by June 1 or he goes back in the draft.

Rieder and Pelss might prove Stu Magnificient yet.

They don’t have room for everyone. My guess is they pass on signing Brandon Davidson.

Anyone like WAS to upset BOS?

73. bluenotenorth says:

Odds of Oilers picking
    1st. 18.8%
    2nd. 48.2%
    3rd. 33.0%

Should look at a Russian forward in any of those slots.

74. jake70 says:

Lowetide: Next um, Bobby and Sissy um will show you um how it’s done (clap clap).

Lol, memories as a kid weeknights after supper…..wasn’t her name Cindy? (or am i thinking Brady bunch)……and they were the dancers right LT? Oh and the memories not of the positive kind…hated that show.

Given how deep the D prospects are, that’s probably a reasonable choice.

There’s lots to happen with the guys who played in the AHL too.

76. DSF says:

A classy move by Columbus letting Hunwick getting a few minutes in the NHL.

77. DSF says:

Florida goes from 15th to division champions.

Tallon knows what he is doing.

DSF:
    Florida goes from 15th to division champions.

Tallon knows what he is doing.

Yeah, I think the Jovo contract shows that.

79. jake70 says:

Thanks LT, I must have missed that episode. Funny stuff indeed.

80. anonymous says:

DSF:
    Florida goes from 15th to division champions.

Tallon knows what he is doing.
    Campbell’s not as overpaid as it seemed, Chicago could use him.

81. DSF says:

Lowetide: Yeah, I think the Jovo contract shows that.

LOL.

He’s not perfect.

How are the Fleishmann, Versteeg, Campbell, Goc, and Theodore contracts looking?

Results matter.

Except in Edmonton.

DSF:
    Florida goes from 15th to division champions.

Tallon knows what he is doing.

FLA Goal differential 10/11 -34
    FLA Goal differential 11/12 -27

Sure paid a lot for those 7 goals.

2 home playoff games will help pay for it I suppose.

As LT mentioned, the +35 year old $4.125MM/yr 4 year contract for 3rd pairing Jovocop makes Horcoff’s contract look reasonable.

At least if the Oilers buy out Horcoff he doesn’t count against the cap.

They have some good young players and good young prospects, but its a little early to crown your man Tallon with anything.

83. gd says:

sliderule,

Dallas was more up-tempo with Tippett than Hitchcock. Modano and Ribiero had high scoring years with him. I’ve heard quite a few experts on the radio say they think he is demanding, but can coach any style.

On the hot stove tonight, someone mentioned that the third in command with Pittsburgh has been given permission to seek a higher portfolio, but I didn’t catch his name. Did anyone hear who they were talking about?

84. anonymous says:

I think the Jovo contract was the most surprising for me last summer, rivaling Khabibulin, Finger etc. from previous years.

85. spoiler says:

Holy Doobie Batman.

Dubnyk having a nice start. Hope the team bus gets here soon.

This game makes a better argument for the need for two Actual NHL Dmen than any words could.

Lordy.

88. bluenotenorth says:

A greater need is for another elite forward so Hemsky does not have to play with Jones.

Really glad this is the last game for Barker.

Who else on the ice might be gone?

Eager, Belanger, Gagner, Smyth, Hordichuck maybe.

bluenotenorth:

Hall perhaps?

91. fuzzy muppet says:

There goes the Lady Bing trophy…….

92. anonymous says:

What scares me is how many times in hind sight in the last 10 years do you take the Dman over the top two or three forwards, if Grigorenko emerges and say Hemsky rebounds we could be ridiculously good.

93. bluenotenorth says:

Woodguy,

Perhaps. But still only 4 or arguably 5 top 6. Need help 5 v 5.

94. bluenotenorth says:

I hope Stu has a long look at Galchenyuk as well.

Its understandable how the ref missed the high stick on 10.

He was four feet away and looking right at 10.

Can’t catch everything.

Maholtra also allowed to plow VV face into the boards.

Standard.

96. danny says:

The ref was 5 feet away and looking directly at Salos stick whack horcoff in the face.

97. fuzzy muppet says:

The Official is literally two feet from Horcoff staring diectly at him when he gets sticked in the face. No penalty.

VandeVelde gets his face smashed against the boards. No penalty.

Eager pushes a guy. Two minutes.

The officiating in this league is a fucking joke

98. danny says:

3 feet anyone?

99. anonymous says:

Woodguy,

Strange times

I hate, and I’m using the word hate here, hate to bitch about refs. It’s kind of overdone and often uncalled for. But these last weeks I’m convinced the NHL refs have decided to screw the Oilers blue. It’s becoming so obvious.

101. jake70 says:

Eberle took a hit to his numbers as well, on his penalty.

102. DSF says:

Woodguy: FLA Goal differential 10/11 -34
    FLA Goal differential 11/12 -27

Sure paid a lot for those 7 goals.

2 home playoff games will help pay for it I suppose.

At least if the Oilers buy out Horcoff he doesn’t count against the cap.

They’ll walk away with the EC next season.

Book it.

103. anonymous says:

Not just the oilers it is happening in a lot of games down the stretch.

104. jake70 says:

It’s obvious the fastest D on the team should be paired with Whitney. Man.

105. spoiler says:

Lawrence Welk’s polyester will out-chance the Oil tonight.

106. anonymous says:

Buffalo Toronto game I thought the ref was going to kick it in himself before he blew the whistle. League mandated to keep the playoff Races exciting.

107. anonymous says:

How many points does RNH need for the Calder?

108. delooper says:

He needs a Calgoogol of points.

109. spoiler says:

I liked Hartikainen’s work on that last shift, but footspeed is certainly not his calling card.

110. Professor Q says:

He needs about the same number of points as how many licks it takes to get to the centre of a Tootsie Pop.

111. anonymous says:

delooper,

Maybe more

112. anonymous says:

Maybe more

DSF: They’ll walk away with the EC next season.

Book it.

Please wager with me on that.

114. TheOtherJohn says:

I hate bitching at refs and STILL hate bitching at Refs.

Oilers are horrible because they have a mediocre D and an even worse bottom 6. Not because of the refs. Viscerally l detest Canucks, douchebags. I hate Hughson calling Canuck games even worse!!

Hemsky give Sam the whole net except the bottom 6″.

Lordy.

One sad fact is the none of the Oiler puck moving Dmen are out.

6 and 58 are pretty much it now.

6 shots in 1/2 a game with no break out game.

FFS.

117. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    My wife keeps flipping channels between Laurence Welk and 10 Commandments.

You are obviously a lot older than I had originally thought.

Or you married an 80 year old.

Hordichuck with the Curt Brackenberry Charge.

Too bad he didn’t connect.

119. bluenotenorth says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy

Are you aware of any player stats on take away/60 and give away /60?

120. gd says:

Woodguy,

This might be one reason to draft Murray.

cabbiesmacker,

Ha!

Wife in a strange mood with a head cold.

I’m 40 and Mrs. Woodguy is 36.

You knew they were going to score on that PP.

Penalty wasn’t agressive enough to kill.

122. Gret99zky says:

Florida…WALKAWAY???…the whole Eastern Conference???

Really?

123. pboy says:

The missed call on Jones shorthanded breakaway was pathetic.

bluenotenorth:
    Woodguy,

Woodguy

Are you aware of any player stats on take away/60 and give away /60?

I don’t really like that metric. Doesn’t tell you enough.

The Oiler official scorer credits giveaways like the MIN official scorer credits hits, way more than the average NHL scorer.

There is also the line of thinking that those who have the puck the most end up leading this category simply because of how often they have the puck.

Here are the NHL giveaway leaders for this year:

Ilya Kovalchuk
    Zdeno Chara
    Dennis Wideman
    Kevin Bieksa
    Filip Kuba
    Dan Boyle
    Drew Doughty

I take every single one of those players on my team.

Except maybe Frankeneuf.

125. DSF says:

Gret99zky:
    Florida…WALKAWAY???…the whole Eastern Conference???

Really?

Really.

Check out their prospect depth and cap space.

pboy:
    The missed call on Jones shorthanded breakaway was pathetic.

Can opener is not a penalty if you are Edler and the openee is an Oiler.

DSF: Really.

Check out their prospect depth and cap space.

Let’s bet please.

128. Professor Q says:

What do you mean walkaway?

129. bluenotenorth says:

Woodguy,

What’s the take away list?

I think he meant drive-thru.

131. "Steve Smith" says:

Gret99zky,

That doesn’t sound like booking it to me.

21 Jump Street was just okay, but a damned sight better than the game, from what I gather so far.

132. DSF says:

Woodguy: Let’s bet please.

You’re already in a huge hole.

133. delooper says:

Watching videos of Eberle the thing I notice is he almost never telegraphs his shots. Very minimalist motions most of the time. The stick moves, but his arms, body, head, they do not.

134. FastOil says:

There is no reason to suffer Jones on the team and have Harti in the AHL. Even if Harti can’t skate, he gets and does something decent with the puck 10 times more than RJ.

135. cabbiesmacker says:

Some of us were giving it the huge head shake when ST signed Barker but the reaction here was “no big deal..it’s only one year and $2.5…worth the gamble.”

And…Oilers have had Grigorenko in the gunsights most of the year LT. Hopefully it’s a sign that Gagner is going to get dangled as part of a package.

136. jake70 says:

Okay, 14 and 93, Montreal won already so time to work some magic.

137. cabbiesmacker says:

DSF: You’re already in a huge hole.

Allow me to fill in for WG if you won’t let him cover off his impending loss??

138. cabbiesmacker says:

FastOil:

Jones is perfectly fine as long as he isn’t playing any higher than 3rd line mins and killing penalties. Theres a lot bigger issues on this team than RJ…..which says a lot actually.

It is pretty telling when you see him with Eberle and Hopkins though.

cabbiesmacker: Some of us were giving it the huge head shake when ST signed Barker

Yes I know, I was one of them.

140. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF,

No, *you’re* already a huge hole.

Or did I misread that?

141. TheOtherJohn says:

Whitney has zero mobility.RNH was too deep on that goal. Like Schultz

142. Gret99zky says:

DSF: You’re already in a huge hole.

Florida in a runaway #1 place in the East next year?

That’s a big hole there.

Gotta any balls to lay on the track?

143. spoiler says:

Salo faces a little Motor City Madness.

144. jake70 says:

No intial call on 93, but one after the fact initiated by the linesman, if I heard Simpson correctly….???

145. danny says:

Really? They confer after the stoppage and penalize Hopkins … Where was this conference after Horcoff was checking his dental work?

This referee business is really freakin unbalanced

146. LMHF#1 says:

I’m struggling to understand why certain players on the roster aren’t taking the opportunity to play a game that is chippy bordering on dirty tonight. Wreck their playoffs already.

147. prairieschooner says:

I don’t think I will be cheering for the Nucks in the playoffs

DSF: You’re already in a huge hole.

Let’s bet on this please.

149. pboy says:

Could we rehire OTC to handle the postgame conference?

150. Clay says:

If I was Renney, I’d be happy to take another fine in the post-game presser after this one.

There’s been at least 4 blatant no calls that would’ve gone the Oilers’ way, then the “conference” to determine a four minute PP for Vancouver, when the exact thing happened against Horc earlier, and no call? Bush league.

I feel bad for Dubnyk, he’s been great, but left hung out to dry.

151. spoiler says:

As far as I can tell the defensive game plan tonight was “let’s find out if Dubnyk has the Ron Tugnutt gene”.

152. hunter1909 says:

And another futile season(top ranked powerplay, game breaking 1st line centre, Dubnyk making like Ken Dryden so long as they shoot from the slot) during this Canuck’s 2012 semi-annual Love In.

Great final game of the season, as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins crosschecks Sami Salo, who then put his puny head down on the Vanwhiner bench – like his dog just died.

I’m pretty certain Katz really doean’t give a flying fuck what happens until opening night at his Testament to legal Drug dealing, nevertheless the cold hard reality facing the team going forward: Stanley Cup champion/Atlanta Thrashers 2.0

wtf

LMHF#1:

Agreed. Break a nose, or something. Bleed on ‘em, let them know you’re there!

154. hunter1909 says:

Hate the whining, diving Canucks all you like; but they have some crazy hot girls in Vancouver.

155. jake70 says:

On to the draft.

156. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Agreed. Break a nose, or something. Bleed on ‘em, let them know you’re there!

Horcoff took a tooth or cap missing tonight from the look of things. Too bad that couldn’t wait until opening night 2012-13.

Speaking of, the prospect of RNH/Gregorinko/Gagner kind of shunts old Captain Shawn down the batting order a notch.

Management needs to get cracking on their “Gagner sucks let’s trade his 40 points asap” public relations management MO.

hunter1909:

qft. Women are the best thing on the planet. Not close.

158. jake70 says:

Thanks LT for all the gameday threads this season. Well done.

159. Professor Q says:

On to the draft indeed.

160. Gerta Rauss says:

Not much to that game from an Oiler pov-Hemsky played well for a while but not enough finish all around.

I think Dubnyk earned another contract-the jury is still out on what he is but he played well the last 20 games or so.

jake70:
    Thanks LT for all the gameday threads this season. Well done.

Thanks for commenting. The GDT’s are always fun and great reference points for the future. And to all the Canucks fans who post here:

BEST OF LUCK IN THE PLAYOFFS!

162. Clay says:

Big thanks to LT for another year of great reads. You’ve been the best part about following the Oilers since ’06 SCF G7.

163. GordM says:

I thought Lowe once said on the radio that Burke left Nonis with NOTHING in Vancouver to build from. Those Sisters/Kesler are such peripheral parts to that President trophy team. And Lowe is our President of Hockey Operations…which means he is smrt.

cabbiesmacker: Allow me to fill in for WG if you won’t let him cover off his impending loss??

There is an eternity until that bet is up.

He needs to bet this with me or never mention Tallon again.

165. DSF says:

Woodguy: There is an eternity until that bet is up.

He needs to bet this with me or never mention Tallon again.

Phhhttt.

166. gd says:

Thanks for all you do LT

I’m glad that within a week we will know what spot the Oil are drafting in and hopefully who is staying and who is leaving in coaching and management so I can stop stressing about the present and begin worrying about the future.

167. gogliano says:

DD ends the year with league average goaltending, a .500 record, and a decent lead over the other guy. 2 year total is at .915 and a 32-33-12 record and he seems to be playing better the more he plays. Considering what he has upfront I think that is a pretty strong confirmation that he can play. He seems to get unfairly nicked because he lets the odd bad goal in maybe more than others but he is a big body goaltender and I think the reputation often doesn’t match the results with those sorts.

I’d try to sell him on winning with the kids/becoming known as a winner and offering decent term (e.g., 4 years) for a 1B type salary. If you go short and the team starts winning with him starting he’ll get a payday just as they are competing and I don’t think he’ll ever be elite.

168. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy,

DSF might be Tallon’s biggest fanboy. Ask any Hawk fan and you won’t get the same love. He left a big enough mess behind in Chitown and they had to cut too deep as a result.

As for Florida? Pass on that prospect list and as far as them winning anything anytime soon well…it’s just not gonna happen. Soft division got them there.