LENNART PETRELL 11-12: CINNAMON GIRL

The Edmonton Oilers signed Finnish winger Lennart Petrell and gave him a chance to make a mark in the NHL. Penalty-killer extraordinaire and then we’ll see after that. How did it go?

Lennart Petrell 11-12
  • 5×5 points per 60: 0.83 (11th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 11th toughest faced among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 10th best and worst available teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -16.1(14th best, worst on team. 355th out of 368 in NHL>40 games)
  • Zone Start: 48.7% (9th toughest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 41.5% (14th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 36/11.1% (7th best among F’s >35 shots)
  • Boxcars: 60, 4-5-9
  • Plus Minus: -10 on a team that was -26
  1. What do these numbers tell us? At 5×5, he was among the worst regular forwards in the entire NHL. There’s no way around it, he didn’t deliver close to enough offense and his CorsiRel is among the league worst. He was a rookie–NHL doesn’t count him though because of age–but his resume doesn’t shine 5×5. If they wanted to bring him back, they’d need some evidence he could play 5×5 at a higher level.
  2. He improved in the second half. Well, his CorsiRel went from -22 to -16.1 so that’s a positive. And he never did play a long stretch with veterans who had ability (or Hall) so we have to factor that in too. His scoring went the wrong way in the 2nd half, but then again the entire team was slumping at that time.
  3. What about PK? Well, I don’t see a lot of positives in the 4×5 numbers via Gabe but he looks good doing it and David Staples errors say that he’s been very good at the discipline.
  4. Sweet Christ you’re using Staples metric! David’s errors stat now measures all plays and that was my major concern about it in previous incarnations. I prefer on-ice scoring chances for and against at evens, but a stat like Petrell’s (2 errors an hour on the PK) informs and moves the conversation forward.
  5. Well, you’re in the ditch now. The idea of stats is to inform, and Gabe’s numbers–for me–are difficult to suss out 4×5. Maybe it’s sample size or maybe the idea of counting breakdowns on the PK is a good idea. If there’s a better metric out there please pass it along. For now, the best one I have found is Staples errors.
  6. Will Petrell be back? Maybe.
  7. Good answer. I’m giving you an error on that question. Well, it depends on the coach and how they want that 4th line to look in 12-13.
  8. Okay, let’s run the lines. Sure, top 6 (for me) would be Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky and Smyth. 3rd line at this point would be Horcoff, Belanger and Jones. If they draft the Russian and he makes the team then there’s that to deal with too, and I do believe Taylor Hall may get some time at center in a case of that kind.
  9. Well, that’s an unusual listing but let’s move on to the 4line. There are three young players pushing–Lander, Paajarvi and Hartikainen. There’s also Ben Eager and the club likes to have a knuckledragger we’ll call George Parros.
  10. Not a lot of room for Petrell. Yes but there is a need. If Petrell could improve 5×5 and continue his PK prowess, we could invite him into the Pisani/Grier family of hard workers who are useful 2-way players.
  11. He can’t score. Well, he was the one 4line winger who could take and make a pass last season, and even though he didn’t cash there’s some things to like here.
  12. Why do you like him? I’m not sure I do, beyond the fact that he’s a checker and a Finn.
  13. Well what do you see in him? He’s a throwback as a checker. Aggressive on the forecheck, backchecks like hell and isn’t afraid to lift the stick and steal puck. Plus he’s a solid positional player, he’ll hit the opponent–not to knock his teeth out, but to take him out of the play–and change the on-ice equation. And he doesn’t back down plus he can handle the puck and has nice passing skills. Petrell has this thing he does on the PK where he goes stealth in the neutral zone and then darts into the play when the puck carrier hits center ice. It’s very effective, old timey too. Used to do that a thousand years ago.
  14. So, you’d like to have another look? Great way to put it. That 4line was devil spawn, hate to lose a useful player because he was passing to Eager and covering for Lander.
  15. Are you just making excuses for a Finn? I’m not beyond doing that, but this is a guy who played with an overwhelmed kid, a veteran center who lost his way and two wingers who belonged somewhere in Area 51.

63 Responses to "LENNART PETRELL 11-12: CINNAMON GIRL"

1. BlacqueJacque says:

So what you’re saying is that even the mighty MacT might not turn Petrell into Paisan? ;)

I’m teasing. Great series, LT. I enjoy it. The stats don’t support anything good to say about him, but I rather like Petrell. He does seem effective to me, especially in the last couple of months.

Yeah, I think there’s a player there. The problem with a guy like Petrell is that he got so little time with good players. Anton Lander–and it wasn’t his fault–made it tough for Petrell to show well.

3. BlacqueJacque says:

Yeah. I’m generally a fan of Renney but keeping Lander up so long was an odd choice, and since it was Renney who kept putting him out, I’m hesitant to blame Tambo.

4. regwald says:

okay, I will say it. He hits people. In fact, he hits a lot of people as compared to the rest of the roster.

Smid 186, Petry 126, Petrell 122, Jones 119, Sutton 112, Peckham 94, Potter 90, Schultz 83, Eager 73.

Although he doesn’t do much 5×5, he does make his presence felt with more physical play than most of the Oilers.

5. nelson88 says:

Slightly off topic but didn’t see it mentioned earlier.

Lots of talk about Sutter getting a trial run at the WHCs. I wonder about the late invite to Schenn. Gagner has been rumoured to be on the block for months and perhaps Schenn is the other “impact” defender they are targeting.

Would make for some interesting line juggling up front but a back end of Smid, Petry, Whitney, Schultz, Shultz and Schenn would be the most solid D core the Oil have had since 2006. Schenn was at one time overrated and is currently overpaid but there maybe a very profitable “buy low” opportunity.

6. Henry says:

I will be going to see OKC play tonight and tomorrow. Hoping to see Paajarvi and Lander tear it up. Quite interested in seeing Pitlick’s play in the playoffs. He seems a candidate to take Petrell’s spot, but perhaps the season after next.

7. Bos8 says:

Off topic, but I’m still shaking my head over Reider. Beat a better team single handed in the play offs. Goddamn.

Oh, I like Petrell very much. I think what did him in, was bad coaching, as in he didn’t know what the hell they wanted, plus breaking in a rookie. There are a lot of positives to this player and the adjustment is well on the way. Put him up with Horcoff and leave him be.

8. rickithebear says:

you do realize schenn’s Even defensive numbers were the 5th worst in the league.
    His PK numbers were only 15th worst.

there were two Dmen who were a combined worse in Ev & PP.
    Jurcina NYI. Yemelin MTL

Sorry do not want the third worst dman in the league.
    IMPROVE THE D!
    IMPROVE! THE! D!
    IMPROVE!

9. UndisclosedPersonalReasons says:

regwald,

Someone else on here said it a while back: Petrell hits but he doesn’t mean it.

10. Bos8 says:

The thing is that Petrell hits people for a reason, in play as compared to Jones who keeps a counter going with a whole lot of boink hits after the puck is long gone. You have a winger coming down, you want Petrell to meet him not Jones.

Hits are a stupid stat anyway. Anyone count Gainey’s hits? Now take outs mean something, as in take out of play. Covering your check, being in position.. Jones can’t spell it never mind execute it.,

11. regwald says:

UndisclosedPersonalReasons,

I think that reference was about Jones actually … or at least I saw someone say that about Jones. Didn’t see that Petrell reference before.

12. nelson88 says:

rickithebear,

I did not. That is certainly an interesting point although not terribly surprising for a player I think everyone would acknowledge is young and did not have a good year (which makes the WHC invite even more odd and why I pointed it out). I have no desire to engage in an advance stats vs. non advance stats debate which this could surely lead to other than to say they are very important tools but no more than that in my mind.

I’m curious as to what Smid’s advanced stats looked like in 2007, 2008, 2009? I’m not saying Schenn is Smid or that they will develop along the same path but there were quite a number of posters who would have happily sent Laddy packing in previous years. Schenn does have a similar draft pedigree, type of game and is 4 years (draft classes) younger.

13. Traktor says:

The problem with a lot of BTN is even 82 games is a small sample. You need like 3 or 4 seasons playing on the same team, the same circumstances, and the same line mates. The problem is players get traded, coaches get fired and new systems are born and new line combos are made. We don’t know what Petrell would do with the same team and with same or different circumstances or with a different team with the same or different circumstances.

If you just forget about stats and watch Petrell play he does a lot of good things. If we only base decisions on stats we are likely to lose a good role player. A 4th liner that plays physical and can take a pass and that doesn’t turn puck over at the blue line.

My guess is he ends up in Detroit because Lowe and Tambellini have a habit of blaming shit on the 4th line instead of the same players that fail every year playing huge minutes.

14. Traktor says:

I would trade Gagner for Schenn.

Schenn didn’t have a great season but if he did he likely wouldn’t be available and certainly not for like Sam Gagner.

I think Schenn can become as good or better than Smid. Gagner doesn’t strike me as the type of player Brian Burke would want though, especially since his stated goal is to get bigger and tougher players that can play Carlyle’s system.

15. Mr DeBakey says:

Is Petrell any better than Colin McDonald, whom the Oilers wouldn’t re-sign after a 42 goal season in OKC?

16. VOR says:

Lowetide has identified the problem with evaluating someone like Petrell. He played with some very bad players. He might be a great player on a different line.

For example, if the Oilers actually addressed their 4th line and signed say Jim Slater and Adam Hall to play with Petrell is he worth keeping. The three should be natural linemates. They don’t hit hard necessairly but they finish their checks, forecheck, backcheck, and bring pressure on the penalty kill. Then your fourth line could be the checking line for a team with three “scoring” lines.

On the other hand if you are going to continue to play kids, knuckle draggers, energy players and dregs on your fourth line it would be a mercy to release Petrell now.

17. rickithebear says:

nelson88: I’m curious as to what Smid’s advanced stats looked like in 2007, 2008, 2009? I’m not saying Schenn is Smid

The smid Schenn has been in my mind.
    Do you want to spend possibly another 3-5Yr developing him.
    Developing Smid .915M;.915M;1.3M;1.3M.
    Schenn 3.6M
    Garrison 3.5 to 4.5M

Pretty obvious answer

18. VOR says:

The possibilities for an improved fourth line are endless. You could go with Hartikainen, VDV, and a veteran like Adam Hall. It would still be better than what you currently have. You could choose to go with the drive them crazy line of Cody McLeod, Jim Slater, and Brandon Prust. Other teams would hate you.

Or you could go with the giant late bloomers. Kyle Greentree, Andre Deveaux and Mark Mancari have all played well enough int he AHL to warrant a long look in the NHL. It would either be a fiasco or a fourth scoring line.

I could go on and on.

Sadly, the Oilers probably won’t do anything.

At least Tambellini will admit there are problems on the D. Not so the fourth line. From that I’d assume the 4th line is going to remain a big blackhole for the Oilers.

19. Bar_Qu says:

The issue with the 4th line, or anything to do with changing up the forward corps, is the number of contracts. We can sit here and spitball on different ways to improve line 4 by signing player X, but there is not the contract flexibility unless a lot of deadwood is moved out this summer. As far as I know, there is likely to be 3 or 4 contracts added this summer (WHL D graduating and a Nail hammered into the lineup) and only Smyth, Petrell and Hordichuk as UFAs (there are 5 more in the AHL, but I think Danis has earned a return, so that is four more spots). Gagner will be back as an RFA, so likely will Plante. The only other subtractions I see are Barker and Omark (facepalm), leaving about 40 contracts on the books. I don’t see how the Oilers have the room to do anything significant over the summer, with the current management anyways. Which leaves 4 line in limbo again for next year.

20. Bar_Qu says:

That should say, 40 scheduled contracts, plus Marincin, Gernat, likely Klefbom, maybe Rieder and the crazy Russian (Tulupov?). Bringing contracts up to around 45 before Nail arrives. I don’t see much wiggle room and perhaps even Petrell ends up gone because of the logjam.

21. slopitch says:

Ottawa has done a great job filling their roster with guys Ive barely heard of… O’Brien, Zack Smith, Colin Greening, and Erik Condra… even Foglino. Plus their pipeline is decent with Zibenejad, Silverberg.

Its almost like management isn’t trying., although I think its entirely possible they are simply executing the plan to suck. Filling out the bottom end of a roster isnt rocket science.

I don’t mind Petrell. But I think we can do better.

22. Jordan says:

I think Petrell’s going to be re-signed by the Oilers.

Over at the Cult of Hockey, Peter Adler has a post up about the upcoming episode of Oil Change. One of the last items he mentions will be included in the episode is a visit with Finnish rookie and fan favourite Lennert Pettrell and his family at home round up this season’s final installment of Oil Change.

Now, I could be wrong to read into this, but why would anyone decide to include a guy you’re not going to re-sign in the season finale of a series about the future of your team?

Unless you’re an idiot, which shouldn’t be discounted with this group…

Oh right… the link…

23. hunter1909 says:

Traktor:
    I would trade Gagner for Schenn.

Trouble is, Oilers are drafting Yakupov who along with the other three hotshots will be commanding bigtime money soon.

Bums like Schenn, Phaneuf upset the salary cap applecart – this is precisely why trading down and giving Yapupov to a grinning rival eternally blows…because not only to they lose a once in a franchise opportunity to draft that 4th genius, but whoever they trade down for, with all of the development minefield crossed is still going to command the same money.

Lose Renney. MacT can stay wherever he is. Whatever happened to Ralph Kreuger ffs?? He had the team playing some of their best hockey this season, once he managed to break his duck.

24. speeds says:

hunter1909,

What’s “soon”? Yakupov hasn’t even drafted yet, isn’t it a bit early to worry about his 2nd contract?

25. speeds says:

Bar_Qu,

I don’t know how much work EDM will do on their 4th line, Is a 4th line with Belanger, Jones, and one of Hartikainen/Paajarvi that bad that EDM will think they need to go outside the organization?

26. Traktor says:

slopitch:
    Ottawa has done a great job filling their roster with guys Ive barely heard of… O’Brien, Zack Smith, Colin Greening, and Erik Condra… even Foglino.Plus their pipeline is decent with Zibenejad, Silverberg.

All those players were drafted by the Sens. Oilers are also rebuilding via the draft.

Ottawa also has two enforcers playing for them in the playoffs. Hmm

27. nelson88 says:

rickithebear: The smid Schenn has been in my mind.Do you want to spend possibly another 3-5Yr developing him.Developing Smid .915M;.915M;1.3M;1.3M.Schenn 3.6MGarrison 3.5 to 4.5MPretty obvious answer

I can certainly agree with you on the first point that he was/is overpaid for his development years. The $64,000 question is does the light bulb go on (likely) and when which is the real kicker. He has now played 310 games to laddy’s 409 but that does not inclued the extra 80 or so games Smid had to develop in the AHL.

if schenn can get to smid’s level in a year or two it isn’t the worst contract as our guy will also likely be getting $3.5M+ as of next summer. To me Garrison at $4M+ on an long term deal is not such an obvious answer. Kulikov or OEL for one of our non-core players would be but I’m not going to hold my breath.

28. Captain Obvious says:

By eye and by number Luke Schenn is one of the worst players in the NHL. Taking his contract for nothing would be a horrible move. Trading Gagner for him would be irrefutable evidence of irredeemable stupidity.

29. Traktor says:

Captain Obvious:
    By eye and by number Luke Schenn is one of the worst players in the NHL.Taking his contract for nothing would be a horrible move.Trading Gagner for him would be irrefutable evidenceof irredeemable stupidity.

What will it say about you when Schenn proves to be a better player?

Hopefully you don’t go into hiding or change your name because I’ll be pointing out how stupid you are in the future.

30. cabbiesmacker says:

Hall and Saad at LW for the 2012 – 2013 season? Very nice.

31. Bar_Qu says:

speeds,

It seemed like a lot of people were speculating on the 4th line here and over the last few days. I wanted to point out that the Oilers don’t have the contract space to be going out and snagging guys for the 4th line.

I agree with you that those 4 names make up a decent rotation for a 4 line, and I would even keep Eager to sub in (I mean, he’s already signed for a couple more seasons and he wasn’t horrible). I might actually trade Jones among all those guys, simply because I think he has the most trade value and least potential upside.

32. Ducey says:

Petrell is just a guy you hire from the temp agency. He didn’t cost anything to bring in and could be replaced by any number of players from the NHL, AHL or Europe. Mr. Fungible. He is 28 and what you see is what you get.

I saw him bad. He doesn’t have much offensive ability, doesn’t fight (well), and doesn’t intimidate. I think PRV could do what Petrell does defensively, with the added benefit of having some big upside. You lose some excuse me hits along the way, but a guy like VDV could easily replicate that.

I’d be happy with Hartikanen – VDV – PRV as a 4th line with Jones and Eager in the bullpen. If they trade Gagner, they could then move Hall into the middle and move any of these 5 up and around as needed. There will be injuries (I am looking at you Hemsky), so some depth will be necessary.

33. Bos8 says:

cabbiesmacker: Off topic but Brandon Saad looking like a probable sub into the Hawks lineup tonight.A chance to see the kid the Oilers SHOULD have taken with the 31st pick last June. Yes I know…”lots of other teams passed on him as well,”..blah blah blahHall and Saad at LW for the 2012 – 2013 season? Very nice.

Agree completely. The devil is in the details. Wall to wall kid D, all within a couple of years of each other and which ones do you pass on, who could really make you look stupid down the road. Someone didn’t do homework on Saad. Why did he suddenly disappear after such high ratings and tools..

34. hunter1909 says:

speeds:
    hunter1909,

What’s “soon”?Yakupov hasn’t even drafted yet, isn’t it a bit early to worry about his 2nd contract?

Yeah, no need to worry about anything, right?

Is this Kevin Lowe?

35. speeds says:

hunter1909: Yeah, no need to worry about anything, right?

Is this Kevin Lowe?

Obviously it makes sense to have some foresight, some idea of where things might go, but currently the Oiler have zero players under contract by the time Yakupov’s ELC is over (if they draft him and play him this upcoming year), in 2015. How much more of a clean slate can they have than that?

That will almost certainly change, but there is a ton of cap flexibility.

36. speeds says:

hunter1909,

Just to expand, currently the cap hit of Smyth, Horcoff, Hall, Eberle, and RNH is roughly 23.08 mil.

If in three years the 4 young players are making 6 mil each, you go from 5 players for ~23 mil, to 4 players for 24 mil. It’s not an insurmountable problem.

37. Ducey says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Hall and Saad at LW for the 2012 – 2013 season? Very nice.

Meh. He wouldn’t be ready next year. Look at guys like Hamilton and Pitlick. If you are not star, its going to take some time in the AHL. Its pretty tough to predict that he will be better than Musil in three years. Yah, and blah, blah, blah.

38. Traktor says:

Lets say that Edmonton drafts Yakupov and decide to trade Hemsky or Gagner for a defensemen.

Assuming Gagner is the player they look to move what would a good return look like if Schenn is unacceptable?

I think we can all agree that Subban or OEL isn’t coming back.

39. cabbiesmacker says:

Bos8: Agree completely.The devil is in the details.Wall to wall kid D, all within a couple of years of each other and which ones do you pass on,who could really make you look stupid down the road.Someone didn’t do homework on Saad.Why did he suddenly disappear after such high ratings and tools..

40. gd says:

Traktor,

I think Gunnerson, Sekera or Tyutin are the guys they should be able to get. The UFA pool is much better than last year. I count at least 15 serviceable NHL dmen available so we should be able to do better than Barker.

41. cabbiesmacker says:

Ducey,

Really? How about this past year?

On a team that ran out Hall and Ryan Smyth as 1-2 LW’s with assorted flotsam and jetsam into the after parade, that Saad was a significant upgrade. I’ll be nice and won’t even throw Lander, Petrell, Eager, Hordichuk, and the spot deployment of Paajarvi, Omark, Cornet, VDV, and Josh Green into the discussion.

Just a tad of a difference between the Hawks depth chart and the Oilers I think.

42. Captain Obvious says:

gd:
    Traktor,

Sekera and Tyutin are good names. Off the top of my head I’d add Nikita Nikitin.

43. Bos8 says:

cabbiesmacker: More than anything else I think it was his birthdate. He’s actually a late 92, October to be specific, and he had pretty decent linemates in Saginaw that the scouts may have thought were doing the heavy lifting. All moot anyways as the Hawks made him THEIR 4th OV pick as well and he did fall deeper than most scouts had suggested he would. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it? In retrospect Saad might end up being a better F than McNeill and Danault for the Hawks and certainly projects that way right now. For me he’s more the player type the Oilers needed than the Hawks but I guess MBS didn’t see it that way. I might have taken him ahead of Klefbom and I definitely would have taken him before Musil. Andrew Shaw, Saad, McNeill, Pirri, Jimmy Hayes, and Morin look to be nice prospects to help replace the forward quality purge the Hawks went through two summers ago. Now if they could address the needs at D and G all would be well.

The thing that pops out in your post is player type. The OIlers took Ewanyk who I thought was a very astute pick. Reider is another. But Goddamnit, Hamilton, Pitlick one year and then nada.The rounds 2,3,4 picks should be flyers but you want to find the anomalies, the player types such as Saad, as in big, skilled etc. Some of them the light might come on and then you’ve got a gem. Ah Well – Chit

44. melancholyculkin says:

Captain Obvious,

Bogosian as well.

45. spoiler says:

Saad’s stock fell massively as his draft year progressed. Questions about his attitude, work ethic, commitment abounded. Nor did he take the expected step offensively many scouts thought he should have.

That he has turned his game around is a credit to him, not a discredit to all the teams that passed on him.

I will now return you to your regularly scheduled 20-20 hindsight programming.

46. Traktor says:

gd:
    Traktor,

I like Tyutin the best but I think I would take Schenn over them.
    Schenn just turned 22 in November. Edmonton traded for Jason Smith when he was 24.

47. Traktor says:

melancholyculkin:
    Captain Obvious,

Bogosian as well.

Yeah, but if Winnipeg isn’t trading Bogo for Gagner.

48. prairieschooner says:

Surely if we are talking 4th liners we are talking minimal ice time compared to the other lines.
    So to maximize usage if the 4th liners are good in the face off and PK it is a bonus
    It would seem that the 4th line ideally is the entry spot for plays stepping up from the farm club.
    This would also help to ease the log jam of guys in OKC
    Sometimes it seems that the Oilers would rather not have to make decisions on players but just keep them around indefinately.
    This will become more difficult as MBS and his crew are drafting better prospects

49. prairieschooner says:

Schenn lacks footspeed and may be exposed at the Worlds

50. Captain Obvious says:

Traktor,

The point isn’t that Bogosian is available. The point is that Schenn is so much worse than all these players that choosing Schenn is the act of someone intentionally trying to lose.

Trading for someone terrible and overvalued and hoping they improve is a horrible plan. Instead we should be trading for someone good and undervalued. In this scenario we still get to hope they get better except that even if they stay the same we are getting a good player no matter what.

In terms of feasibility Tyutin and Nikitin are probably the best bets. Tyutin because he is expensive and Nikitin because he is undervalued.

51. melancholyculkin says:

Traktor,

I doubt that I would trade Bogosian for Gagner either, but he would certainly qualify as an acceptable return. Luke Schenn would not.

52. hunter1909 says:

Traktor:

I think we can all agree thatSubban or OEL isn’t coming back.

1 – Many Toronto fans seem of a mind that Schenn is fading quickly as a top ranked defence prospect.
    2 – Sam Gagner is a centreman, who if nothing else helps keep Horcoff down the batting order.
    3 – So, you not only want another team’s fading assets, but you’re pimping Horcoff’s return to the top six?

53. rickithebear says:

hunter1909: but you’re pimping Horcoff’s return to the top six?

You seem excited?
    You want to play him LW on a line with RNH and eberle?
    OK, the latst time he got high Zone start and low QComp he was a .9PGP player.

54. gd says:

If there is one thing we have learned in Edmonton through our lottery years and having Cam Barker, is that draft pedigree for a Dman becomes almost irrelevant by the time a guy is 22. If a Dman is overpaid for what he is producing, then stay away from them. We are better off taking our chances on Teubert, Plante and Klefbom, then taking Burke’s sloppy seconds. I do find it funny that “Mr. Smartest guy in hockey, stats don’t matter” Burke has three of the most overpaid Dmen in hockey.

55. misfit says:

If Petrell doesn’t return next year, then I’d hope Hartikainen stays on full time. I don’t like the thought of a Finn-less Oilers team one bit.

I know the numbers don’t like Petrell, but I really thought he was a nice addition to the team. When they let them play the odd game/shift with skill players, I felt he looked a lot less out of place than when they put Eager in the top 6, but that’s not to say I’d ever want to see him there. In fact, he’s almost exactly what I want in a 4th liner. He’s responsible defensively and can play on special teams.

56. Alpine says:

I don’t know if I remember expecting much out of Petrell, but while the math doesn’t look good, he wasn’t terribly ineffective. His checking abilities were decent, and he appeared to have some hockey sense, but his footspeed wasn’t there. He reminds me of Stortini a bit, minus the enforcer stigma.

What can Schenn do that Colten Teubert can’t provide at 25% of the salary of Schenn? Schenn is being paid like a proven top 4 defensive D for the next for years ($3.6 million per year).

With his contract, Schenn is a definite avoid. The salary cap risk is too high.

If one is going to spend $4-4.5 million dollars per year on a defenseman for 4 years, just sign Jason Garrison. Much less risk. as he has provided top four defensive D for two years.

58. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

In fairness, that was the mid-1970s.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

RIP Levon Helm

I was never a huge fan of the Band,but they sure wrote some good songs. And the Last Waltz is a terrific movie.

60. hunter1909 says:

rickithebear: You seem excited?
    You want to play him LW on a line with RNH and eberle?
    OK, the latst time he got high Zone start and low QComp he was a .9PGP player.

I want Horcoff starring on the 4th line, with penalty killing specialist added to his CV.

Who cares what his stats were several years ago – he’s a washed up plug.

61. spoiler says:

And Ron Maclean leads the show in with Levon Helm passing. Very classy.

62. russ99 says:

Petrell is a UFA. If we need to pay him $2M to come back, I’d rather see that spent on a decent veteran player who can hold his own in our zone.

Cinnamon Girl – greatest one note guitar solo in rock history…