There are times when a relationship has instant chemistry. There are other times when it takes years–stops and starts, time away and together–before a bond is formed. In the case of the Edmonton and the Oil Kings, love came well into spring but is getting hot in time for summer.
These are the Oil Kings I remember the best, the early 70s kids of Phil Russell, Darcy Rota, Don Kozak and Tom Bladon. Living in Edmonton all these years, I’ve met a few Oil Kings from the grand 60s, men like Allan Hamilton and Gregg Pilling.
This new group has been growing for several years now–it seems like yesterday the new uni’s were introduced–and I think some of the kids have learned about Ace Bailey and Bob Falkenberg and Wayne Babych. But the fun memories are still to come, and this spring is alive with them. Edmonton turned out about 8900 strong (from what I’ve read) last night and the games are exciting if you like lots of goals for the home side. There are also stunning prospect in this EDM-MJ series, incuding Morgan Rielly and Griffin Reinhart.
It’s very cool, and perhaps will serve as a reminder to the Edmonton Oilers about just how much fun this city can be when the Oilers are in the playoffs. Maybe they’ve forgotten.
Nation Radio goes today at Noon, Team 1260. And don’t forget the archived edition with appear at the Nations in a timely fashion. Scheduled to appear:
- Corey Pronman, an extremely valuable resource for draftniks. He writes for Hockey Prospectus and his opinion has high value. You can leave questions in the comments section of this blog or tweet @lowetide_ or even email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to pass along questions for Corey and all of our guests.
- Kirk Luedeke from Redline Report. Kirk will discuss the 2011 entry draft and the movers and shakers from a year ago, including Rieder. Kirk has the eastern seaboard covered well so I’ll talk to him about some of those college kids who are eligible to sign pro contracts too.
- Kelsey Myroniuk from FC Edmonton. We’ve had a number of requests for some FC coverage, so we’ll talk to Kelsey about the excitement building for this FC season. The Eddies grabbed their first point of the season in Puerto Rico and look to get their first win tomorrow at Clark Park.
- Kent Simpson color commentator for the Edmonton Oil Kings. The Oil Kings are ripping up the playoffs and appear to be on a collision course with the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL final. Moose Jaw’s Warriors have incredible fans and they’re saying “not so fast” and we’ll discuss the series with Mr. Simpson.
- Jonathan Willis from the Nations and the world. We’ll talk NHL, the draft, Oilers and more with possibly Jon. I’ll ask him about recent ON articles that discussed Ryan Smyth’s role on the Oilers next season and the issue of size at center.
- Kent Wilson from Flames Nation and the Nations. We’ll talk Flames off-season and put Kent in the middle of the room under a bright lamp and get the real scoop on Brent Sutter’s coaching abilities. We’ll also ask about Sven Baertschi and the craziness of this year’s playoffs.
Noon to 2 today, Team 1260. Hope you can tune in.