RYAN SMYTH 11-12: CORTEZ THE KILLER

Ryan Smyth’s return to Edmonton featured the rebirth of a legend who also delivered some dynamite hockey. His presence was key in allowing the kids room to grow.

RYAN SMYTH 10-11 (LAK)
  • 5×5 points per 60: 1.62 (6th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.37 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 2nd toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 5th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 8.9 (2nd best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 51.9% (7th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 48.0% (8th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 195/11.8% (7th among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 82, 23-24-47
  • Plus Minus: -1 on a team that was +16
RYAN SMYTH 11-12
  • 5×5 points per 60: 1.93 (5th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.39 (10th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 9th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -1.5 (8th best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 48.1% (10th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 51.7% (5th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 194/9.8% (9th among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 82, 19-27-46
  • Plus Minus: -5 on a team that was -26
  1. What do these numbers tell us? Smyth played tough minutes with subpar linemates and delivered quality offense this season. He had an enormous task, and delivered. A lot–and I mean a lot–has been made about his poor second half but Ryan Smyth was one of Edmonton’s best forwards this season. He gave the organization exactly what they needed–shelter from the kids and an actual NHL player who could face the opposition’s best.
  2. He slowed badly in the second half. His shooting percentage was way off. 12.7% before the All-Star break, 4.4% after. Jonathan Willis wrote a nice item on it.
  3. But he faded. Badly. Compared to other Oilers, Smyth improved in the second half. A quick look at his CorsiRel at mid-season shows -4.9 after 41 games, and he finished at -1.5 overall. And remember, he was playing tough opposition.
  4. What surprised you about his season? He played a lot. As stated above, his EV minutes (14:26 a game) were heavy and he was a consistent member of the PK and PP. He played 1564 minutes, 2nd on the team and in the NHL’s top 40 forwards. That’s a lot of playing time.
  5. What else surprised you? They kept playing him on the PP even though the results weren’t impressive. During the RE series I suggested he’d get 1.5 minutes per game–Oilers gave him 2.5 and he finished 10th 5×4/60. It seemed a little curious.
  6. Anything else? I’m surprised how little praise he’s gotten. Ryan Smyth is no spring chicken, but he played like one. Hell, the verbal now is about how he can’t play top 6 minutes. All I read about him (aside from Jonathan’s item) is that he’s going to have to accept a lesser role.
  7. Fans or media? The relationship Smyth has with Oiler fans has never been in question.
  8. Well he is going to have to accept it! Just like your boy Horcoff. THE HEAD COACH gave the toughest LW minutes to Smyth and his zone starts were no bargain (although better than Horcoff’s dire starts). I think Smyth’s performance this season makes a strong case for retaining him in a top 6 role–at least until a clear replacement is acquired. Renney overplayed him because he had to–management didn’t give the coach enough options.
  9. Either way, Smyth and the Oilers are apparently apart on a new contract. It’s disappointing, one would hope the club would offer an overpay for a 1-year deal. I do understand there’s wisdom in not signing him to a multi-year deal. Maybe the lesson of Khabibulin has been learned.
  10. It takes two to tango, you know. Quite right.
  11. Why on earth would you be disappointed? It would be nice if the Oilers could get a contract done with #94 without all the drama.
  12. Ryan Smyth doesn’t have that  kind of relationship with the Oilers. The Oilers don’t have that kind of relationship with anybody.
  13. How would you like to see things roll out? Oilers sign him to a one year deal, slight overpay. He arrives in camp as one of the top two options on LW and he stays there until someone earns the right to push him away.
  14. Paajarvi’s ready. Really? Where is your evidence.
  15. Yakupov will eat him for breakfast. If the Oilers draft Yakupov ALL THE MORE REASON to have him play with Smyth. Mentor, knowledge, protection, safe, still has hands to play with these gifted kids.
  16. You’re such a Smyth fanboy. Guilty. Fortunately the evidence is also in my favor. Ryan Smyth is still better than pretty much all of these upstarts.

NHL Prediction for 11-12: 70, 18-19-37 (.529)

Actual 2011: 82, 19-27-46 (.561)

You can go home again.

122 Responses to "RYAN SMYTH 11-12: CORTEZ THE KILLER"

1. Aron_S says:

O Smytty, The reason why I jumped all over the internet all those years ago, trying to find out how on earth you could possibly be traded… Pleased to have him back and praying that they don’t bungle his contract a second time.

LT, do you think Renney or a new coach could actually roll three scoring lines if they drafted Yakupov? Or will the dam break and some of this talent will have to go elsewhere for the coveted D? They look strong up front with a lot of horses ready to break through from the minors if Paajarvi, Harski and Lander can get it together.

2. regwald says:

I am thinking that Tambo gets distracted and forgets about Smyth. This could be another debacle in the making. I don’t want him signed to a 2 year yeal, but Tambo should get it done.

3. "Steve Smith" says:

One of the few Neil Young songs I dislike, applied to one of the most beloved Oilers. Not sure how I feel about this one.

4. dawgbone says:

Part of his PP issues were that the 2nd unit in general struggled. He didn’t play much with RNH, Hall and Eberle.

That really was the one constant this season, was Smyth on the #2 unit, regardless of who was out injured.

5. Dipstick says:

The Oil could do a lot worse than Smytty as a good 2 LW to hold the fort until one of the prospects takes the job. 1 year (with bonuses), git er dun.

6. hunter1909 says:

Yet another reason to replace Tom Renney imo.

Smyth’s already old, a decent head coach should be able to have seen he needed less icetime. Not “nice guy” Renney, too busy breaking Swedish balls to notice.

7. rich says:

Would be nice to get a contract done w/Smyth w/out the drama. Very valuable on LW last season and along w/the kids made the team worth watching.

I don’t mind a two year deal w/year 1 being front loaded. Smyth’s value on the PK I don’t think should be underestimated.

Just have to be careful cause Hall, Eberle and Smid will need new deals after next season.

8. "Steve Smith" says:

rich: I don’t mind a two year deal w/year 1 being front loaded.

Why front-loaded? Do you expect to trade him after year 1?

9. bill needle says:

It’s no surprise Smyth’s played with subpar linemates. If you were on the Oilers and you weren’t playing with subpar linemates, you were probably sitting in the press box eating popcorn.

10. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”:
    One of the few Neil Young songs I dislike, applied to one of the most beloved Oilers.Not sure how I feel about this one.

The lyrics are terrible, but I have no problem with that guitar.

11. shepso says:

stevezie: I think I look forward to seeing the Neil Young comparable more than the article.

I stand by what I said yesterday: LT needs to start a music blog with his copious amounts of free time. I really hope a deal for the beloved mullet gets done sooner rather than later, but with Dithers off to Europe for some spring dithering, I don’t see much movement on anything any time soon.

12. vishcosity says:

Hey now. This is one of my favourite Neil songs ever. The subject could be a bit horrific, but the lack of the country and western flair is a blessing for me for sure.

Hitting post made the music stop. And now I’m back here.

13. bookje says:

The Smyth deal should be done by this point. Smyth and his agent are going to play this out publicly. The GM should be aware of this and should have forced the issue durring the season. Edmonton needs some of these things to be done without all the drama.

14. Ducey says:

No rush on signing Smyth. It just needs to be done before July 1, and maybe not even by then.

Cap flexibility is a valuable thing. Although its likely the Oilers sign Smyth, maybe CLB decides they will trade Rick Nash for the #1 pick, or Suter goes to free agency, and that one year overpay with a NMC everyone likes to float becomes problematic.

15. gd says:

Ryan has always been my favorite Oiler (the 97 playoff series is still my favourite Oiler memory and I was around for the 80s).

I just don’t think it is crucial whether they sign him or not as he is not ampart of the longterm plan. In fact a part of me hopes they don’t sign him as that would put a big bullseye on ST from the masses that I think even Katz couldn’t ignore.

16. Bar_Qu says:

17. stevezie says:

Ducey,

I don’t see Smyth’s money getting in the way of Suter (who isn’t coming here anyway), and a far as Nash goes- I love Nash, but he does not make sense for Edmonton at that money. I see what you’re saying about there not being a rush, and you’re rioght if it gets done- but Smyth has left over hurt feelings before.

After Hemsky I have learned that for worse or better Tambo doesn’t care what fans, media, or players think of him. Nothing he says matters. Hemsky earned him a reservation of judgement until Smyth either stays or goes. (I’m not saying I have faith, he’s had more bad results than good.)

I just realised my comment could have come off as snarky. The articles are great, I just love the Neil Young.

18. Jon K says:

Would it change anyone’s opinion if it was revealed that Smyth was holding out for 4.5 million per year for two years?

19. RT26 says:

Sign Smyth as a sign of faith to the team, public and future Free Agents

Hall – Gagner – Hemsky (PvP)
    Smyth – RNH – Eberle (2nd toughs)
    Yakupov – Horcoff – Paajarvi (easy opposition)
    Hartikainen – Lander – Jones
    Eager – Petrell

Trade Omark to BUF for Sekera. Trade a 3rd round pick to ANA for early negotiating rights to Justin Schultz and sign Josh Harding.

Whitney – Schultz1
    Smid- Petry
    Sutton – Sekera
    Schultz2

Dubnyk/ Harding

20. Ducey says:

Bar_Qu: It is irritating to think that Ryan Smyth will twice be shafted by this organisation. I long for a GM who is proactive in player contracts that are difficult or high profile and wise in the minor ones. Tambellini fails on both counts, just this season alone and not counting his previous four years (the Sutton and Potter gaffes are nearly grounds for firing, but what he will do with the Smyth and Omark situations should seal it). Fire the guy, hire someone else off Willis’ list and get it done before the draft. Before the end of the month preferrably.

I don’t see it that way. Brian Burke likes to do his negotiations in the media. Tamby likes to do everything in private. The private way invites all kinds of speculation. Didn’t anyone learn anything from the Hemsky showdown? Because we heard little, everyone assumed Tamby had done nothing and constantly raked him as Hemsky was going to traded etc. As it turned out, there was no justification for the criticism.

We know they have offered him a 2 year deal, but don’t know about other offers or amounts. Its a negotiation. If Smyth wants to whine in the media to try and increase pressure, I am not going to worry about it and I am glad the Oilers won’t either. We have no idea what Smyth wants. If he wants Hemsky’s contract he can go back to Long Island.

We are supposed to pay him now so his feelings are not hurt? FFS he is 35+ yrs old, represented by an agent and has over $20 million in the bank. Its not junior high.

And whats wrong with Potter and Sutton? Potter played well and can be sent to the minors easily if they get someone better. Sutton could be traded for a 3rd or 4th rounder at any time. Depth is a good thing.

21. DSF says:

Jon K:

Internal salary structures that are out of whack, create issues.

22. cabbiesmacker says:

Looks around for comment box…once again.

You insist on torturing our ears with your man Neil…ahem…and yet when a golden opportunity arises to incorporate Buffalo Springfield’s For What It’s Worth in the Yakupov / First OV posts it’s mysteriously absent. My good man…cough

There’s something happening here
    What it is ain’t exactly clear
    There’s a man with a “pick” over there
    Telling me I got to beware

I think it’s time we stop, children, what’s that sound
    Everybody look what’s going down

There’s battle lines being drawn
    Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong
    Young people speaking their minds
    Getting so much resistance from behind

What a field-day for the heat
    A thousand people in the street
    Singing songs and they carrying signs
    Mostly say, hooray for our side

Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you’re always afraid
    You step out of line, the man come and take you away

23. dawgbone says:

Dipstick,

Smyth doesn’t qualify for a contract with bonuses.

24. rich says:

“Steve Smith”: Why front-loaded? Do you expect to trade him after year 1?

Steve,

Yes – I expect him in year two, albeit and in reduced role (PK specialist, 3rd/4th liner). The vet in the room when they finally make the playoffs who helps keep perspective when the kids realize the difference between the regular season and playoff hockey.

Am thinking a number around where Bertuzzi signed (roughly $2.75 yr 1 and $1.25 in year 2).

25. rickithebear says:

Mike modano’s 35+ contract 3.45M per

26. rich says:

Crap – work is getting in the way today.

@ Steve Smith: I don’t expect to trade him in year 2 for the reason stated above.

Doh.

27. Dipstick says:

dawgbone:
    Dipstick,

Smyth doesn’t qualify for a contract with bonuses.

Sorry, I thought that +35 – 1 year contracts could have bonuses.

28. bookje says:

Jon K:

My point is that the GM (who I generally support) would have been best off to push the issue sooner and get it settled. Set a false deadline and get it done. Now Tambellini is going away for a few weeks, then he will be chatting with Renney for a few weeks and we all know what is going to happen. It is going to be a big dramatic ‘in the papers’ negotiation probably going right down to the last minute.

Maybe that is how it has to play out and if so, then I am fine with it, but this organization always seems to find drama around each and every contract whereas others seem to get things done more easily.

29. TheOtherJohn says:

Want Smyth signed. He is a good player. And is a nice transistion player. Hellacious 2nd half and not in a good way. To extent Smyth has hand out for big money, no thanks. WG suggested $5.5m per, that is a ridiculous ask. Seriously

Have no difficulty paying him $5 m over two years or $3.5 m this coming year. Days of him earning big money are simply past.

Think with Smytty it may be worth while to do what Ducey suggests. Wait and see if Oilers need that cap space for some other more desireable asset

30. hunter1909 says:

Bar_Qu:

Aw, poor Smyth took his agent’s advice and forced Lowe(who admittedly did his part to engineer this) to trade him over 100 thou.

Now he’s back. Unfortunately, I suppose I only returned to watching the Oilers in 2000 or so, and spent most of my emotional capital watching those Dallas beatdowns, drama over Gilbert 1.0(Tom Poti), plus Doug Weight leaving town like a mercenary for Reasoner and other dubious talents. In short, the Oilers pre-lockout were a Calgary Flames type team, with a handful of decent players punctuated by zealous coaching etc.

Tambellini can offer Smyth a one year deal at whatever he thinks is fair, imo. I suppose Ryan still thinks he’s a 5-6 million player looking at the captain, lol.

Hope he signs though!

31. gd says:

bookje,

There’s 20 markets in the NHL where not enough people care enough to create the drama. We just have to look at Calgary with Iginla to see a similar drama. If Wendell Clark was around today at the same stage of his career as Smyth TSN would have to create a new network just for the negotiations and analysis.

32. Bar_Qu says:

Ducey,

I don’t have a problem with either Sutton or Potter. Either of them could have waited until July to be signed. And if they walked, no great mischief. Smyth’s extension should have been announced when at the point that Sutton’s was though, imo.

hunter1909,

hunter, I never thought you would buy the party line on that particular narrative. Instead of waiting until the last moment to sign Smyth when they traded him the first time, why didn’t they re-up him in the summer like they did with everyone else? The trade deadline nonsense (“he left over $100k!) was a strawman erected by the media to soothe the ire of fans over the tiny return for a heart-n-soul player and fan favorite. Kevin Lowe admitted later that he mishandled the whole thing.

My point in all this is that Tambellini did not need to sign the players he did when he did (Sutton, Potter) but did need to wrap up Smyth to avoid the kind of nonsense that we will endure on this board and in the media over the next 8 weeks. He does not do the things he needs to in a timely fashion and consistently acquires players that are not going to do the job the team needs them to do (exhibit A – the defense from 2009-present).

And I will only make a passing reference to the fact that he has been in charge of team that has finished 30th, 30th, 29th over the last three years, and only once on purpose.

33. OilClog says:

Well if we don’t sign him we all know where he’s going to end up.. down the road a couple hours. This deal should of been done weeks if not months ago. 1yr. 3.5-4m. It’s fair, doable, and keeps the masses from having a all out revolt.

Smyth didn’t put up the points in the 2nd half.. this is true, he also wasn’t playing with Ebs, and Nuge. He spent most his time in our own zone on the pk, or playing against the bigs. He wasn’t getting scored against, unless it was a missed assignment by one Horcoff.. How do you not sign him? This is ridiculous.

Hall/Nuge/Hemsky
    Yaks/Ebs/Rieder (Team Mighty Mouse)
    Smyth/Gags/Jones
    Eager/Horc/Hairkt
    Petrell/Belanger

Smid/Petry
    Schultz show
    Whit/Sutton
    Potter & The Prospects.. add some grizzly near the deadline if we’re in a position to make a run.

34. Traktor says:

Maybe Horcoff could donate 1M to Smyth to stay?

35. DBO says:

I think tambelini is waiting to see if Ruff is fired. if he is, then the Oil offer him a lot to be here. Be a nice fit I think.

As for player acquisition, man I am not confident. The talk about Bulin underscores how deluded Tambellini is to the players on his team.
    - We have the top AHL goalie in our system and Danis would be a perfect fit beside Dubnyk while being every cost effective.
    - Smyth is better on a one year, but 2 years is just fine since he is up when RNH gets his payday. And he is still has value in a 2 lw or 3 lw role. But Tambellini will make this way too hard, and cause issues. Once again souring the Oiler brand for veteran players.
    - tambellini is just as blind when it comes to D. We need at least one top end guy, and I doubt it happens. He will count on Whitney, and he absolutely shouldn’t. Once again, delusion about his own players.

Tambellini needs to go, but seems like Katz is content with his toy. he needs to step up and get involved. Getting the top player in the draft three years in a row does not a good manager make. you can argue that the only good thing he did was get Potter (and that was more Renney). And it seems like Smyth was Lowe, and Hemsky’s signing was Lowe. Time to make an appearance Mr. katz, and clear the deck.

36. Ducey says:

DBO,

Why is Katz getting involved a good thing? There are lots of owners (Charles Wang, Al Davis) that do more harm than good.

This the same GM who just yesterday told the media he didn’t have any defenseman that could be the top pair on a championship team?

37. nathan says:

“Once again souring the Oiler brand for veteran players”

If the Detroit brand is underpay and the Oiler brand is overpay I rather hope Tambi does mess up the Oilers brand. A novelty but beyond the first year, how about market rate?

38. Bar_Qu says:

nathan:
    “Once again souring the Oiler brand for veteran players”

I think the Sutton deal confirms Tambellini’s belief in continuing that tradition. While the Omark (not) deal confirms his further belief in the “you need to ride some players out on a rail” tradition. We will see which one Smyth gets lumped into.

39. Traktor says:

Games played the past 3 seasons

Hemsky – 138
    Whitney – 167

When it comes to Whitney the consensus seems to be that he terrible and shouldn’t be counted on moving forward

When it comes to Hemsky the consensus seems to be that he is a magician and surely he will bounce back with a healthy productive season in 12/13.

I’m fine with those that don’t want to count on Whitney but the double standard really is something to behold.

Whitney was +4 over the last 14 games. He as -20 the previous 37. It would seem that he was trending in the right direction. For all the talk about Hemsky finally being healthy near the end of the season he only managed 8 points in the final 20 games – that’s including a 4 point game.

DBO:

40. Traktor says:

DSF: That’s what happens when your two highest paid players, Horcoff (34 points @ $5.5M) and Hemsky (36 points @$5M) are viewed by a 46 point player and his agent.

Internal salary structures that are out of whack, create issues.

This.

I can understand the argument that Horcoff’s contract might not be the best comparison because he signed so long ago but Hemsky signed his deal just a few months ago.

I wouldn’t sign Smyth for 5×2 but why should he ask for less when Tambellini is paying Hemsky for less production?

41. vishcosity says:

Smyth born 02/21/1976

Hemsky born 08/13/1983

7.5 years apart. Could be a salary consideration. Not sure.

42. DBO says:

The Oil are not thought of a top end org anymore after a bunch of players have left with sour tastes in their mouths. yes, the kids will do a lot to fix it since winning solves all, but that is why we have to overpay, and in a few years we will not have the cap space to do that.

Tambellini also said Bulin will still be here and wants to play 4 or 5 more years, so you tel me if anything he says should be taken seriously.

43. jake70 says:

B Sutter in Calgary is done coaching. As per PrimeTimeSports.

44. Traktor says:

vishcosity:
    Smyth born 02/21/1976

Hemsky born 08/13/1983

7.5 years apart.Could be a salary consideration.Not sure.

So if Smyth takes care of his body and produces at a high level he shouldn’t get paid?

The last 3 seasons:

Smyth: 231 games played
    Hemsky: 138 games played

Smyth: 62 goals
    Hemsky: 31 goals

Smyth: 146 points
    Hemsky: 100 points

Smyth has scored more goals, produced more points, is much more durable but Hemsky should get paid because he is younger than Smyth…

I guess that means Gagner should be asking for 8M.

45. Jordan says:

Traktor,

Trolololol…

You don’t pay a player based on what they did, you use that information to pay them what you expect they will do.

No one is saying don’t pay the man. But based on what he is producing, and hos role of producing some against hard comp, he’s worth between 3-4 M, and that value is expected to drop with age, as his ability to do so declines.

If you’re the GM, what do you pay him Trak? 6.5M?

46. nathan says:

No risk of a haircut when he made the Kings trade him home for the last year of the contract.

And I don’t expect him to take a haircut on a new short term deal.

But now that term and dollar ARE up for grabs… if he wants more than 2 years or above market, thanks for dropping by. Great transitional year for the kids.

The Kings accepted close to zero return. And Oilers not having a deal accepted the possibility of getting no return. (Fliping him for a profit in the rental market would not be have been fair to Smitty or the Kings). So all even. Stay. Or go.

47. Jordan says:

LOL

Check out capgeek.com. There’s an awesome error up there, in which Mr. Jeremy Welsh of Union College is reported to be making more than 17M next year, as a prospect for the Carolina Hurricanes..

On a related note, I do like his size, but only being a ppg player in the NCAA is only so-so.

48. Ducey says:

DBO,

1) Players will come here if they think they can win a Cup. Tamby has not overpaid (except maybe with Bulin) and by the look of it will not with Smyth.

2)I didn’t hear Tambellini say he was signing Bulin for 4 or 5 years. He said Bulin wanted to play for 4 or 5 years. He probably does. He is still better than 10 goalies in the league, including anyone in a Leaves jeresy. If Tamby is hoping to get another 4 months out of Bulin before he trades him at the deadline, he is going to say nice things about him. So what? I have no problem with Bulin as a backup to Dubnyk next year.

49. DBO says:

Ducey,

Really? you’re OK with Bulin as a backup? OK, that’s your opinion and I respect that. i disagree wholeheartedly and I think it speaks to Tambellini being blind since he was the one who signed him. And at this point can you really say tambo won’t sign him? Aren’t you just a bit scared of that idea?

Traktor,

Hemksy’s injury and surgery have a long history of sucess with hockey players.

Whitney’s injury is a lot more rare, with poor history with those who have suffered it (Forsberg)

But you know that,

Hall just had the same surgery, want to punt him too?

Dipstick: Sorry, I thought that +35 – 1 year contracts could have bonuses.

You are right. +35 1 year contracts can have performance bonuses.

51. Traktor says:

Jordan:
    Traktor,

Trolololol…

No one is saying don’t pay the man.But based on what he is producing, and hos role of producing some against hard comp, he’s worth between 3-4 M, and that value is expected to drop with age, as his ability to do so declines.

If you’re the GM, what do you pay him Trak?6.5M?

I’m just trying to look at things from Smyth’s point of view. I don’t think that’s trolling.

I don’t think its unreasonable for Smyth to expect 5×1 or 4.5×2

I would pay him 1 year at 3.5 but that’s harder to do when you just paid Hemsky 5M.

I think we need to keep him though. He can play anywhere from the 1st line to the 3rd line, with skilled players or with the Horcoff’s of the world.

If Tambellini has a brain he will draft Yakupov and trade Hemsky or Gagner to acquire some defensive depth so keeping Smyth becomes that more important.

At some point we need to stop overpaying players though.

52. "Steve Smith" says:

cabbiesmacker: You insist on torturing our ears with your man Neil…ahem…and yet when a golden opportunity arises to incorporate Buffalo Springfield…

Might want to have a look at that band’s lineup.

53. "Steve Smith" says:

vishcosity:
    Hey now.This is one of my favourite Neil songs ever.The subject could be a bit horrific…

It’s not that the subject is horrific, it’s that the lyrics are insipid: “war was just a legend / hate was never known”? Um, sure, Neil.

I can forgive him for it, because one of the great things about Neil Young is his absolute tin ear for stuff that a lesser man would be too ashamed to release (that lyric, “Old King”, his entire output in the 1980s…). But Lord Almighty, it’s an awful song.

(Stevezie’s probably right that it’s pretty good if you can get past the lyrics. I can’t.)

54. commonfan14 says:

Penner on being identified as a force last night:

‘”I don’t know if you watched me but I used to be a good player.”

Is he about to make back all the FA money he lost over the last 14 months with a big playoff push?

55. bookje says:

DBO:
    Ducey,

Really? you’re OK with Bulin as a backup? OK, that’s your opinion and I respect that. i disagree wholeheartedly and I think it speaks to Tambellini being blind since he was the one who signed him.And at this point can you really say tambo won’t sign him? Aren’t you just a bit scared of that idea?

Tambellini won’t sign him. No chance at all. As a backup for 20 games he might be ok. Particularly if they have Dannis in the system still.

56. "Steve Smith" says:

(On the subject of “Old King”, I’m curious as to which hound dog Lowetide deems to be his-to-ry. I’m thinking either Whitney or Horcoff, but he could also go a different route and choose Omark.)

57. Traktor says:

Woodguy:

Hemsky is still injured or finally healthy and still not producing offensively. Neither case is particularly inspiring.

Hall apparently hurt his shoulder in Junior and he still managed to score 49 goals in 126 games in the NHL despite not being 100%.

The choice of song for Smyth came down to three choices: “Expecting to Fly” which is cool and dreamy Neil but I wanted more conflict; “Tired Eyes” which is one of my favorite Young songs (I love Zuma, will find a way to place “Looking for a Love” in here even if its Barker) and I actually wrote this with Tired Eyes as the song.

But I thought it might be too obscure, and since I’ve already gone off the road at least once I didn’t want to go deep album cut again so soon.

Anyway, next up is Hemsky and I’m choosing between a divine song that appeared on a group album, a really sad one from Everybody Knows this is Nowhere and one of my daughter’s favorite NY songs from 1992.

Traktor,

I will agree that Hemsky’s last 20 games were less than expected.

He still has a long history of producing and that has been shown to be a good predictor of future production. Couple that with the history of his surgery and there is a reasonable bet to be made.

Whitney had a magical 38ish games with an injury that is devestating to hockey players.

You know all of this.

60. shepso says:

I know it’s a bit too obvious, but there’s a few songs from Sleeps With Angels that might be perfect for the bottom of the order. This series is great, LT.

61. "Steve Smith" says:

shepso,

I think we may be getting beyond the part of the lineup where “Western Hero” would apply.

62. shepso says:

“Steve Smith”,

but certainly not “piece of crap” or “change your mind”
    “western hero” is a fantastic song.

sorry if we just ruined any of your plans

No, I kind of have a roadmap. :-)

64. "Steve Smith" says:

shepso:

sorry if we just ruined any of your plans

Everyone else:

Sorry if you came here expecting discussion of the Oilers.

“Steve Smith”: Everyone else:

Sorry if you came here expecting discussion of the Oilers.

Who?

66. shepso says:

No, I kind of have a roadmap.

excellent news. The catalog is so deep I suspected there was a plan.

“Steve Smith”: Everyone else:

Sorry if you came here expecting discussion of the Oilers.

meh. the season’s over. I’d rather talk about all things Neil. Glad you’re with me, Steve. On that note, how awesome is his plan to create a new kind of audio file?!

67. "Steve Smith" says:

Oh, man, which defenceman gets “For The Turnstiles”? Or does that just go to the whole corps?

And in addition to “Old King”, Horcoff could be “Running Dry” or “Union Man”. So much to choose from!

68. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy: Who?

You know – the team that’s Coming Apart at Every Nail.

69. shepso says:

"Steve Smith":
    Oh, man, which defenceman gets “For The Turnstiles”?Or does that just go to the whole corps?

And in addition to “Old King”, Horcoff could be “Running Dry” or “Union Man”.So much to choose from!

what about “bound for glory” or “it might have been” from the great lost (and recently found) international harvesters period?

70. sliderule says:

Smitty is going where the money is.

When LA told him he was going to be third line in his contract year he made the smart move and asked for a trade.

The oil gave him top six time and took on his contract which not many teams would have done.As a result he put up good numbers and will milk that to the nth degree.

He isn’t going to take an oiler discount.

Why doesn’t he return our love?

71. DSF says:

Woodguy:
    Traktor,

I will agree that Hemsky’s last 20 games were less than expected.

He still has a long history of producing and that has been shown to be a good predictor of future production.Couple that with the history of his surgery and there is a reasonable bet to be made.

You know all of this.

Why would it be more reasonable to bet on Hemsky than it would be on Smyth?

As Traktor noted, Smyth has outperformed Hemsky by a considerable margin and I would think the last 3 years of Hemsky’s career should be a great tell for the next two years.

You need to bear in mind Hemsky is no longer on the first PP unit and only managed to rack up 27 ES points last season while getting hammered to the tune of -13.

Smyth had 38 ES points and finished with a -5.

While Hemsky pronounced at the trade deadline he is feeling better than he has in years, he promptly went out and scored only 9 points (4 in one game) in those 21 games.

If you were Don Meehan. what would you be advising your client to ask for?

72. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”: You know – the team that’s Coming Apart at Every Nail.

73. pboy says:

Brent Sutter is now available. I wonder if the management is going to wait to see if any of the 1st round coaches might get fired, so they have more options before they decide Renney’s future?

74. "Steve Smith" says:

DSF,

I do not think that “Neil Young” means what you think that it means.

DSF: I can’t wait for LT’s piece on Yakupov and we can all sing along to El Condor Pasa.

I’m a mess. Man I needed that.

None of my playoff picks are working. At all.

77. "Steve Smith" says:

I assume he was referring to the “rather be a hammer than a nail” line. Unclear who the hammer is.

78. DSF says:

Lowetide: I am laughing so hard right now I may pee. Thank you, DSF. Now, for my own peace of mind, did you mean Kumbaya? And were you aware el Condor Pasa is a Simon and Garfunkel song?

I’m a mess. Man I needed that.

I’d rather be a sparrow than a snail
    Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
    I’d rather be a hammer (Dustin Brown – for WG’s benefit) than a nail
    Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

Away, I’d rather sail away
    Like a swan that’s here and gone
    A man gets tied up to the ground
    He gives the world its saddest sound
    Its saddest sound

I’d rather be a forest than a street
    Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
    I’d rather feel the earth beneath my feet
    Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

(Kumbaya works too,)

79. DSF says:

“Steve Smith”:
    DSF,

I do not think that “Neil Young” means what you think that it means.

I do not think that you know that “Nail” means “Neil” and that “Yakupov” means “Young”.

Ah, gotcha. Either way, it was a laugh riot and I thank you.

81. Gret99zky says:

It’s pretty clear Smyth and his prick of an agent Meehan feel this city owes them whatever they see fit.

Tambi needs to show him the tearful airport scene a few times and then ask, “So do you want the one year deal or not?”

82. DSF says:

Gret99zky:

You know Meehan is Eberle’s agent, right?

83. stevezie says:

You guys have heard Le Noise, right? Love and War should go out to the fans at the end of all this. in any case I love that album.

I hate to say it, but Traktor has a point- Hemsky’s disappointing final quater could make Smyth think he has the ammo to ask for more tmoney.

But Smyth, we’ll say, you’re really really old!

So fine, I don’t care, I would overpay him for 1 season. Does he want 4 millionx1? Sure. More? Fine. He wants two years? It’s nice to want things. Sorry Ryan, everyone loves you, but you’re going to have to prove yourself year by year. keep in mind you weren’t worth 6.5 this season.

84. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”: It’s not that the subject is horrific, it’s that the lyrics are insipid: “war was just a legend / hate was never known”?Um, sure, Neil.

That line kills me every time. Neil Young though, and Flea wrote this in his write-up on Neil for Rolling Stone, he has the courage to make a crappy song. I don’t mean he the “courage to experiment”, I think he’s beyond experimenting. I think he knows what he’s creating every time, he’s just aman who follows his muse wherever it leads him, even if it’s somewhere bad. Dance with the one who brung ya Neil, keep following.

85. Gret99zky says:

I went to Capgeek to get an idea of what ST should offer Smyth on a two year based on some of the other vets’ salaries.

I took one look at the name Horcoff, Shawn >> and immediately had to apologize to my young son for saying the “worst bad word” out loud.

86. vishcosity says:

Hanging here in AZ with professor history emeritus, it seems the conquistadors killed 90% of the natives, or, the ones who didn’t bow down to the latin commands at least. The Zuma (northern Mexico) were pretty peaceful peoples, they didn’t follow the Apaches and Commanches (probably from Missouri) in that way. War was never known? Until the white man showed up. Shame on those spanish bastards, is kinda the point of the song I figure, hence the word horrific.

I can’t believe, that on a site dedicated to advanced statistics, the merits of Oilers discussed are hinging on point production for $$/year. Aren’t we a little beyond wondering why the checking line is worth good money? If I’m learning anything here, its that dealing with the Datsuyks of the world is pretty valuable stuff.

I wonder how many people jawing Hemsky are in the next thread advocating the employ of Dustin Penner. I don’t really follow the trolling so I don’t really care who said what. But clearly there is more to this game than putting the puck in the net, and clearly there is more to Zuma indians than counting the scalps (a trick they learned from the Europeans). They may have been singing around the fire, the linguist says he doesn’t really know for sure.

87. Gret99zky says:

With the Penner goal last night I await the inevitable Bring Back PDP thread the same way a herpesian awaits the next outbreak and cluster of vesicles.

But I’ll read the damn thing anyway.

88. hunter1909 says:

vishcosity: it seems the conquistadors killed 90% of the natives, or, the ones who didn’t bow down to the latin commands at least. The Zuma (northern Mexico) were pretty peaceful peoples, they didn’t follow the Apaches and Commanches (probably from Missouri) in that way. War was never known? Until the white man showed up. Shame on those spanish bastards

I hate Spanish as much as anyone, but my first term paper at college was about Cortez – who took 190 white Spaniards and took on 100,000 virtual SS Nazi Indian warriors of Montezuma’s … who in turn used to take tribute from the smaller local tribes of young virgins who would then have their hearts cut out…at Mexico City Cortez discovered 8 inch thick dried blood on the walls in their sacrifice chamber.

Fuck Montezuma, fuck the Aztecs.

On a wholesome note…they sure as fuck had better draft Nail…think of the scorn Tambellini and the rest of the fans receive if/when Yakupov, only the best pure forward + a combination of Hall(speed, tenacity+Eberle shot) ends up playing in Calgary.

89. Schitzo says:

Traktor:

Well shit. If “not as good as Taylor Hall” is the benchmark, 90% of the players in the league belong in the AHL.

90. Schitzo says:

Jordan:
    LOL

Check out capgeek.com.There’s an awesome error up there, in which Mr. Jeremy Welsh of Union College is reported to be making more than 17M next year, as a prospect for the Carolina Hurricanes..

Not a typo, just how cap hit is calculated for players signed part of the way through e season. He earned like $90,000 for one day of the season (due to signing bonus), which works out to like $17M over a full 183 day season.

91. SteadyEd says:

I think that #94 is going to have to chew on whatever offer the Oilers gave him right up until the draft. The Oilers started low and now they don’t have to move. Once the Yak fall-out settles we’ll see if the organization really wants him.
    Personally I think that Ryan Smyth should retire an Oiler. He and his agent have to be careful how far they push though- the ball really isn’t in their court right now. We all watched him this year after all. Stats are stats- the truth is that he looked terrible for most of the year. He didn’t lead when things got tough. He didn’t elevate. In fact I thought that it looked like he was pouting a little. Is Ryan Smyth a leader?
    How about a 2 yr. deal that’s front loaded? 5 & 1? Would he bite?

92. Gret99zky says:

SteadyEd:

How about a 2 yr. deal that’s front loaded?5 & 1?Would he bite?

Smyth will want a NMC.

The only reason to front load a contract is to provide for an easier trade.

1 year deals only for #94 from now on. Look what happened with Belanger.

DSF: Why would it be more reasonable to bet on Hemsky than it would be on Smyth?

Smyth had 38 ES points and finished with a -5.

While Hemsky pronounced at the trade deadline he isfeeling better than he has in years, he promptly went out and scored only 9 points (4 in one game) in those 21 games.

If you were Don Meehan. what would you be advising your client to ask for?

Excellent of you to suggest a Smyth vs. Hemsky points over thr next two years.

I take Hemsky.

Terms?

94. Gret99zky says:

Woodguy: Excellent of you to suggest a Smyth vs. Hemsky points over thr next two years.

I take Hemsky.

Terms?

LOL.

You two are awesome.

95. SteadyEd says:

You’re right. No matter how much I want to find a way to appease the old dog I think he’s had his day.
    1 year at a time. ( or 5 and 1 and 1 ?!)
    I wonder if he actually feels that he’s worth the investment now or is simply listening to his agent and pointing to comparables. It wreaks of entitlement IMO.

96. Dipstick says:

I am getting uncomfortable with all of the betting going on here lately ;)

97. Jon K says:

DSF,

Meehan really seems to have an interesting clientele base.

In one category of clients he has: Colby Arostrong, Sean Avery, Matt Cooke, Dan Carcillo, Cal Clutterbuck, Brad Marchand, Maxim Lapierre, and Jordin Tootoo.

In another category he has: Drew Doughty, Alexander Frolov, Phil Kessel, Evgeni Nabokov, Brad Richards, Steve Stamkos, and Chris Pronger.

I don’t know if that really says anything, Meehan has a lot of clients, but it certainly doesn’t make me feel good about Petry and Eberle’s imminent contract negotiations. Especially when we look at Meehan’s record when negotiating with the Oilers (he represented Smyth, Andy Sutton, and Ryan Jones for their current contracts).

98. DSF says:

Jon K:
    DSF,

Meehan really seems to have an interesting clientele base.

That should make you very afraid.

Meehan is known for getting every drop of blood out of the rock. And, of course, Smyth, Sutton and Jones are all overpaid given their actual contributions.

99. DSF says:

I take Hemsky.

Terms?

Still trying to hedge that terrible bet you made on Hemsky?

NINETEEN to NINE.

Easy peasy.

100. Traktor says:

Schitzo: Well shit.If “not as good as Taylor Hall” is the benchmark, 90% of the players in the league belong in the AHL.

What’s the point of your post?

Are you arguing that Hall is better than Hemsky? No shit.

DSF: Still trying to hedge that terrible bet you made on Hemsky?

NINETEEN to NINE.

Easy peasy.

The poker player in me wants to exploit ever edge.

Ever time I feel like you are talking out your ass, I’ll wager on what you say.

You say Smyth > Hemsky.

I say Hemsky > Smyth,

Terms?

Lots of time in the other bet.

Your player scored at a rate far above his historical rate.

My player scored at a rate far below his historical rate.

You have a head start but I like my bet.

Gilbert Brule is playing PP2 with a playoff team.

Katz is paying for 1/2 of it too.

103. Traktor says:

Woodguy:
    Gilbert Brule is playing PP2 with a playoff team.

Katz is paying for 1/2 of it too.

Brule 33 5 9 14 +7
    Belanger 78 4 12 16 -13

Prorated

Brule 11 22 33 +16
    Belanger 4 12 16 -13

Who knew?

104. DSF says:

Woodguy: The poker player in me wants to exploit ever edge.

Ever time I feel like you are talking out your ass, I’ll wager on what you say.

You say Smyth > Hemsky.

I say Hemsky > Smyth,

Terms?

Lots of time in the other bet.

Your player scored at a rate far above his historical rate.

My player scored at a rate far below his historical rate.

You have a head start but I like my bet.

Ryan Smyth – .70 PPG
    Ales Hemsky – .77 PPG

You have a slight “historical” edge but Hemsky has missed far more games due to injury.

The thing with Dustin Brown is that he scores 55-60 points every season and has missed a total of 8 games in the last 7 seasons.

So, while his career PPG is .60, he is very likely to play a full season while Hemsky is very likely to miss a whack of games. Hemsky hasn’t played a full season since 05/06.

105. DSF says:

Traktor: Brule 33 59 14+7
    Belanger 78 4 12 16 -13

Prorated

Brule 11 22 33 +16
    Belanger 4 12 16 -13

Who knew?

Raffi Torres 15 11 26 +2

106. Traktor says:

DSF: Raffi Torres 15 11 26 +2

That’s great but Belanger replaced Brule.

55.3 FO%
    -13

Puck possession for the win (bookie sign)

107. Traktor says:

No worries though.

Belanger’s body of work tells us he will bounce back next season.

(Bookie sign)

108. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie,

I don’t know – I think Young was genuinely offended when people pointed out that Trans was awful. My girlfriend’s theory is that he’s a conduit for some kind of extra-dimensional song-writing god. The thing is that that god is only sometimes at his post, and Neil can’t tell the difference.

You’ve heard Live at Massey Hall, when he talks about how a lot of his songs “take real long to write, like an hour or more”?

Don’t dig Le Noise, to be honest, though Love and War is the highlight. I think I actually laughed out loud at the “like an Inca from Peru” line, though I can’t remember what it rhymed with.

109. DSF says:

Traktor: That’s great but Belanger replaced Brule.

55.3 FO%
    -13

Puck possession for the win (bookie sign)

The Coyotes end up with two NHL players and the Oilers end up with Belanger who interestingly enough, was let go by the Coyotes,

It would appear one GM is a little more ‘savvy” than the other.

110. "Steve Smith" says:

WoodGuy: I’ll give you 2-1 odds on Mothra.

111. Traktor says:

DSF: Perhaps you’re forgetting that the Oilers traded Torres for Brule and then lost Brule on waivers.

It would appear one GM is a little more ‘savvy” than the other.

No, I didn’t forget.

Brule covered the Torres bet or came close to it so basically it carried over to Brule vs Belanger.

I suspect the same thing will happen next year with whoever Tambellini signs to replace Peckham. Most likely some veteran on the downswing.

112. Traktor says:

Its actually kind of funny how long Lowe/Tambellini has blamed things on the 4th line.

Glencross, Thoresen, Brodziak, Pouliot, Brule, Chimera, Moreau, Reasoner, Reddox, Winchester, Stortini, Murray (the Gem), Harvey.. I’m probably missing a bunch.

I suspect Edmonton will bring most of the top 3 lines back and rearrange the 4th line again.

It has to be the 4th lines fault. Petrell will probably sign with Detroit.

113. "Steve Smith" says:

Traktor,

Well, Murray wasn’t actually shipped out – once he stopped playing for health reasons, and he ended his comeback voluntarily (a decision probably informed by the fact that he wasn’t actually getting paid).

114. vishcosity says:

Yotes win! Wow that OEL is something. If I were GM I would try and trade this year’s first (and next year’s first if I have to) for that kid. Phx could use the high profile, even if Yakupov scores 50, oilers may still win the trade.

Stoll and Torres bought their tickets out of town when they challenged MacT over whom MacT chose to play with them.

Quinn demonstrated that Brule was a useful bottom six NHL player if used correctly. Brule and Belanger both succeeding in Phoenix under Tippett, and both failing miserably under Renney is empirical evidence that Renney is NOT a good coach.

This is true of a lot of players who have played worse under Renney, and better elsewhere. Cogliano under MacT and in Anaheim. Eager in Chicaga and San Jose. Fraser in Chicago and LA.

We know this is going to be true of Paajarvi and Omark.

Renney is NOT a good coach.

116. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”:
    stevezie,

My girlfriend’s theory is that he’s a conduit for some kind of extra-dimensional song-writing god.The thing is that that god is only sometimes at his post, and Neil can’t tell the difference.

Your girlfriend is brilliant and hillarious.

117. gd says:

godot10,

I’m not sure it means Renney is not a good coach, but to me it is the number one reason to get a new coach. When I see guys like Brule and Colin Fraser play on playoff teams, and to see the mess that Belanger was, I just get the feeling Renney just doesn’t get a lot out of his bottom end guys. My gut says the kids will thrive under any coach (short of it being someone like Lemaire) so any qualified NHL coach would improve this team. Besides the easiest way to change the culture of a team is a new coach.

118. Spydyr says:

If one takes of the fanboy glasses and remembers how bad Smyth’s game deteriorated in the second half.

Why would you even consider signing him?

Is the goal not to get into the playoffs and contend for a cup?

If Ryan cannot even complete a season with out obviously burning out.How will he fair in the grind of a Stanley Cup run.

Sorry Smyth was one of my favourite Oiler for 10 years 5 years ago but he has to many miles on him now.

119. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie,

Back the fuck off.

Not my conversation, but I do agree with SS’s GF. LOVE Neil Young but there are clunkers everywhere. And some pretty famous songs. Even among NY fans I know well there are differences of opinon. Part of it is that he’s recorded so damn many songs. He’s basically Duke Ellington 2.0

121. justDOit says:

I simultaneously love and hate NY. He isn’t afraid to make a wrong note, and gives everything he has to express the emotion of the song. He’s a wonderful songwriter, but he has also seemingly just pumped out some stuff.

He’s a very luck man to have done what he has, when he has. He wouldn’t stand a chance in today’s music industry, but that says more about the sad state of popular music today than anything.

Interesting series of articles.