SAM GAGNER 11-12: ON THE BEACH

One night in February at Rexall place, Sam Gagner answered those who long suggested he had not delivered on promise. The question for the Edmonton Oilers this summer: does he deliver enough, often enough?

When they drafted Sam Gagner back in 2007, the Oilers badly needed to add some offensive ability and a quality center. They chose Samwise and he’s been delivering 40+ point seasons ever since. Is it enough?

SAM GAGNER 10-11
  • 5×5 points per 60: 1.91 (2nd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.51 (9th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 7th toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 4th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 7.0 (4th best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 50.9% (6th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 53.4% (best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 138/10.9% (8th among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 68gp, 15-27-42
  • Plus Minus: -17 on a team that was -52.
SAM GAGNER 11-12
  • 5×5 points per 60: 1.96 (4th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.66 (6th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 8th toughest among regular forwards
  • Qual Team: 6th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: 6.3 (4th best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 54.1% (4th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 51.8% (4th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 149/12.1% (5th among F’s>100 shots)
  • Boxcars: 75, 18-29-47
  • Plus Minus: +5 on a team that was -26
  1. What do these numbers tell us? Soft minutes with less than stellar linemates and he delivered the kind of offense you’d like to see from the 2line C. 91st best 5×5/60 number for forwards over 50 games.
  2. He played with much better linemates than you’re implying. When we look at this season for Samwise it is important to remember that he spent a lot of time on RW early on and was not a featured player for quite a bit of the season. He was on RW with Belanger and Paajarvi early then Horcoff and Smyth later and finally got to spend time at C with men like Hall and Hemsky. So I believe Gabe’s measuring stick in Qual Team–all over the place but when it is said and done 89 played 3rd line opponents with 2nd-3rd line help.
  3. He is so inconsistent! If the Oilers had enough talent to place him with good offensive options all season, that consistency would probably be there. Gagner had hot streaks and cold streaks during the year, but much of that had to do with the men lined up with him.
  4. What should the Oilers do? Sign Dustin Penner and put Gagner between him and Hemsky. Seriously. That trio used to rock and roll and might be able to do it again.
  5. He’s not delivering enough. Sure he is. Sam Gagner had a solid year–I don’t think we can go crazy on the plus minus or CorsiRel because he did play against softer opponents–and his offense was good.
  6. That was a tremendous night against Chicago. It was a spectacular evening, one we won’t forget for a long time. 8 points is historic–tied with 99 and 7 from the Glory team–and honestly it couldn’t have come at a better time. With Darren Dreger saying the same words every 15 minutes he’s on tsn–”the Oilers aren’t offering Gagner but they badly need defenseman and that’s the name mentioned by other general managers”–the timing of the outburst bordered on perfect.
  7. RNH played more than Gagner. Gagner had more EV TOI per game although it was close, and RNH spent about 30 seconds more a game on the PP. No complaints there, send that young man over the boards every chance you get.
  8. So Gagner shouldn’t be on the PP? Oh no, I’d be fine with 89 on the 1PP. Over Horcoff and Belanger for damn sure but Gagner is capable of playing with the whiz kids. He’s a supreme passer.
  9. Faceoffs are better? 47.6% in 700 sorties he’s been getting better the past couple of seasons. I think he’ll have his career at center, seems so much better in the middle.
  10. He sure isn’t the 2-way C you’d thought he’d be. He’s fine. Oilers need to put better players around him is all, and they’ll do it eventually. Sam Gagner couldn’t drag this team out of the ditch but there’s a pretty long list of good young players standing beside him.
  11. He’s slow, weak and lacks grit. Oiler fans are starting to make those rumbling sounds again which probably means another season of JF Jacques on the Hemsky line. But it doesn’t change anything. Good players matched with good players send the puck in a good direction. Sam Gagner is a good player.
  12. Who doesn’t hit people and is feeble. Sometimes I wish Oiler fans got their wish, 23 knuckle draggers skating around looking for red meat. Shaw should make available that Quebec league where they beat the living daylights out of each other every 5 minutes. It would be a ratings winner in northern Alberta.
  13. Will he get traded? It’s a really strong possibility. Gagner has value and the team might end up with RNH and Grigorenko as their young centers by fall. In that case, Gagner would be the obvious trade asset to move for a defender. NOTE TO ADD: I wrote this before the lottery last night, I’d say the chances of Gagner leaving are very high. Gagner or the top pick.
  14. But you don’t like that idea of a trade. No, not at all. Edmonton has invested a dear draft pick, time, effort and money in this guy. Why send him away? Better idea–find two wingers and throw him out there 18 minutes a night.
  15. He’s not that good. Yeah, I know. Chicago was saying that just the other day.
  16. Will the Oilers get fair value? They should. He’s still very young and has delivered offense every year since he arrived. Sam Gagner’s resume is solid, he’s an attractive player.
  17. Why do you like him so much? Lots of reasons. Given people he can work with offensively the chances come in bunches. He is extremely smart and brains are useful in all three zones. He’s been through his share of failures and come out the other side intact. Battle hardened. Sam Gagner has seen a lot of losing, but I don’t think anyone considers him a loser.
  18. What is his strongest asset? Passing. And intelligence. Plus effort and I do think a strength is his play away from the puck. I’m deliberately staying away from praising his CorsiRel and plus minus but on a subpar club he led the team with +5.
  19. Excellent job not praising plus minus and CorsiRel. Real strong. Thanks.
  20. What could he be? An extremely productive 2line C behind RNH and a man capable of playing a 2-way role on a winning team.
  21. This Neil Young song is even more obscure than the last one. Do yourself a favor–buy the entire album. Brilliant record. I chose it for Samwise because it expresses frustration with life even though an outsider might think all is well. I love the line “Now I’m livin’ out here on the beach, but those seagulls are still out of reach.” I hope Gagner finds a place where things roll smoothly, but suspect he’s got an “Ambulance Blues” straight ahead.

• NHL prediction for 11-12:  70, 15-35-50 (.714)
  • Actual 2011: 75, 18-29-47 (.627)
  • Young man has a productive season under trying circumstances

103 Responses to "SAM GAGNER 11-12: ON THE BEACH"

1. regwald says:

I said it last night to my buddies over to watch the draft lotto and I will say it here. His days as an Edmonton Oiler are numbered. I vote him most likely to be traded for a quality dman. Hemsky is number two on that list, MPS is 3.

It’s too bad, because I am a fan of Gagner. I just don’t see Tambo holding onto Sam when they bring Yakupov into the fold.

2. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

LT: On the penultimate bullet-point you put his boxcar totals from last year, not this year.

I really, really like Sam Gagner. At still such a young age, the kid has become a battle hardened veteran. He looked so much faster this year, and I always see great effort from him. I’d be sad to see him go, same with Hemsky, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that at least one of them is gone very soon, especially given the interesting results from last night.

3. sliderule says:

Assuming they don’t trade down Gagner isn’t going anywhere.Belanger or horcoff at number two center.No way.
    The oilers would dearly like to trade down and pick a defender but if they do they will get schooled big time.Other than Murray there is little reason to believe the other defenders available will be any better than Teubert .In fact they might be worse.

4. BSchambz says:

I don’t get why he will be on his way out if they draft Yakupov. I hear some people suggesting Hall moves to centre, but are one of their RWs going to switch to LW?

5. russ99 says:

Gagner’s only 23. Why not deal away older players or prospects less established in the NHL?

BTW – the Blackhawks fans here in Chi-town were salivating over Gagner being traded here to play with Kane. And that’s before his big night.

Sometimes I think Sam is less appreciated by Oilers fans than around the league.

Also, IMO Gagner is “Exhibit C” on how Renney mishandled the young players on the roster (not named Hall, Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins).

Had Renney played him at center with other skill players on a 3rd or 4th line to begin the season, his numbers would have been much better.

6. shepso says:

I know I’ve said this before, but this record is the hidden gem of Neil’s discography, and along with Time Fades Away and Tonight’s the Night make up what I think was his finest and most consistent output. Great choice for Sam.

And I hope he stays…

7. "Steve Smith" says:

shepso,

A dtich guy, eh? There are any of about fifteen albums that I can think of of his best, depending on my mood, but this one’s among them.

No way this song’s more obscure than Winterlong, though.

I actually had someone ask me to write about my all-time favorite Canadian album. I know it’s a Neil Young album but can’t make up my mind!

9. mustang says:

sliderule:

I agree, If the Oilers select Yakupov, this will have no bearing on trading Gagner. They don’t play the same position. I’m curious, what makes you think Ryan Murray is the only good Dman in this draft, and the rest of them will be no better than Teubert?

10. shepso says:

“Steve Smith”,

Yeah, it’s hard to nail down his best, but man I just love those 3. It is very mood specific though. I’ve even got a soft spot for sleeps with angels, mirrorball rocks as hard as anything he ever did with crazyhorse, and I mean the first couple albums are wonderful…plus those live albums, especially the Massey Hall record for his softer side. Canada’s best export, bar none.

The thing I love the most about this period were the lyrics; he was just so raw at the time, dealing with all of the loss in his life and being so honest about it. Its an era of transition and I think On the Beach might best capture the eclectic personality that is Neil Young, the perfect split between the soft country songs and the ragged electric tunes, the abstractions like Vampire Blues where his political agenda is counterbalanced by more direct songs about life and relationships like Walk On, and that fragile, shaky warble of For the Turnstiles. Great record.

11. shepso says:

I second that request! Would love it if you started a side-blog with your ruminations about music.

12. Jordan says:

A scenario that I would greatly enjoy:

Forwards:
    Pajaarvi – Hall – Hemsky (speed kills)
    Eberle – RNH – Yakupov (MMM… Soft minutes.. OM NOM NOM)
    Penner – Gagner – Hartikainen (Scoring Depth anyone?)
    Smyth – Horcoff – Jones (In the trenches)
    Petrell – Belanger (semi-quality Depth)

Traded:
    Eager – could also let go of Belanger, if there was a play to cover those PK minutes.

Defense:

Smid – Petry
    N. Schultz – J. Schultz
    Whitney – Weaver
    Sutton – Potter

Traded – Peckham, released Barker

Goal:

Dubnyk
    Harding (he’s UFA out of Minni, was even on a terrible Wild team, and would push DD for Ice time)

Traded: Comrade Horcov’s drinking buddy.

I like that Gagner managed to show some value while still not producing enough to earn a huge raise on his 3rd contract. Should be able to squeeze some more years out of him for 3.5ish money. I like having him with Penner because of their chemistry (and beccause it’s an excuse to bring Penner back, who I think is a riot! Sports entertainment should be entertaining, no?) and think they could handle 2nd-3rd toughs pretty easily. Harski seems like a natural fit on the other side.

It doesn’t have a #1 D, but it does have better depth than 11-12, better balance, and better goaltending.

Which is what I think we need to compete for the playoffs.

13. fuzzy muppet says:

They simply CAN”T trade Gagner unless a bigger Center that can handle tough minutes comes back as return(Hanzal). If they move 89 for D, your Oilers down the middle are:

RNH
    Horcoff
    Belanger
    Lander

Can you say 1st OV pick AGAIN next year???

14. pboy says:

I hope that after Katz told Lowbellini how happy he was that the Oiler’s won the lottery again, he said that if he sees either of their faces on a tv set in April for the next decade, they better be talking about their 1st round opponents and nothing else or they will be looking elsewhere for work. It’s great that we have the 1st overall pick for the 3rd year in a row but it’s also pretty embarrassing.

15. Clay says:

I think that Gagner missing all of training camp had as much to do with his slow start as poor linemates. It seems pretty universal for players who miss training camp to have terrible starts.

Ok, so I may be the only one (but doubt it), but I have this nagging feeling that, despite having three first-overalls in a row, the first overall pick that I wish the Oilers would get is next year’s. MacKinnon could very well be better than any of the Oiler kids.

Maybe there’ll be another lockout, and the Oilers will have a shot at the lottery a la Pittsburg in 2005.

It would be awesome just to hear Brian Burke’s take on it, in light of his little tantrum the other day about the “Pittsburg model”.

16. Clay says:

… then again, if the current “braintrust” stays in place, they may get 1st overall next year on merit alone.

17. nathan says:

Someone with a proven young D calls for #1… if there name isn’t Howson you tell ‘em it’s 1999 baby and it’s their problem to collect #2 to package with that D. Gagner figures in that trade.

Unless you can pay a reasonable cost to walk out with a proven young D + Murray, take Nail at #1.

18. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide, if I recall correctly, last pre-season we both seemed to agree that Gagner was looking like he’d finally arrived – imo after years of wheel spinning. Then he got hurt and the process continues.

I think Gagner’s going to grow up physically(next season, the season after, or the one after that who knows?) and be a very good NHL centreman in the mold of Dave Gagner.

Trading him is probably beyond the realm of Tambellini’s ability to receive fair value, and besides, anything that bumps Horcoff up to the 2nd line now must be laughed out of the room given the fact Eberle/Yakupov will be playing on the 2nd line(really 1b).

PS: I semi-knew Oilers would win the lottery after the simulator picked them for me, lol. Of course Woodguy(the Brian Burke wannabe around here) would have dissed me for daring to state anything that isn’t backed up by a vanload of data, so fuck bothering with anything of that ilk.

PPS: Adding Yakupov is going to be sensational, as close to the dynasty as any of us old timey types dares dream.

PPPS: Bump Renney upstairs…anyone able to stand behind the Oiler’s bench for the past 2 seasons deserves a medal, not the sack.

19. FPB94 says:

mustang,

Jacob Trouba is a hell of a defenseman. He’s mobile, tall, strong and a PPG producer in the USND team.

He’s had superior production than other d-men from the USND program. (Suter, Johnson (X2) etc).

I wouldn’t be pissed if the Oilers traded down and got him plus a real player.

20. art vandelay says:

Two words: Martin Gelinas

21. bookje says:

pboy:

Yes, if only the Oilers had followed the Calgary model…

22. mustang says:

bookje: Yes, if only the Oilers had followed the Calgary model…

Funny as that is, Calgary STILL plans to follow the “Calgary Model”

23. nathan says:

Last 1st overall Forward fail was Stefan in ’99, but that one doesn’t really count because Vancouver’s #1 locked up a Sedin.

Atlanta was PAID a 3rd rounder to pick Stefan a few minutes early (Burke needed to go to the podium once to pick 2nd/3rd overall to avoid holding half of a pair who said they would only report to a team that had rights to both).

So you have to all the back to Daigle in 93 for a real 1st overall forward bust.

24. Ducey says:

Big strong centers who can win faceoffs and put up 50+ points are in pretty short supply. There isn’t really anyone that will be a FA this year that would be a huge improvement on Gagner. Unless they are going to move Hall into the middle, the Oilers should just hang onto Gagner until they can replace him thru the draft in a few years.

25. Captain Obvious says:

There is a little too much optimism here for my taste. There are so many likely ways for the Oilers to screw this up. For instance ..

Scenario #1 trade down and pick Murray.

Scenario #2 draft Yakupov and trade Hemsky for an average D the Oilers mistakenly think is good.

Scenario #3 draft Yakupov and trade Gagner for an average D the Oilers mistakenly think is good.

These are the three most likely possibilities to emerge out of the lottery. For those of you who don’t think #2 and #3 are going to happen I’ll remind you of a certain horrible trade from two short months ago.

The Oilers fundamental problem is that they don’t understand that you can never have enough good hockey players. They think the secret to hockey is to find the right mix. This is how you trade Gilbert because you have Petry and it is why they will trade Hemsky because they now have Yakupov. It’s a recipe for endless wheel spinning but the Oilers don’t know that.

26. Jordan says:

bookje: Yes, if only the Oilers had followed the Calgary model…

The model’s really aren’t all that different. In Calgary it’s the “Build Mr. King an Empire” model by buying and monopolizing the other sports entertainment groups in the city and then milking them for synergies and profit.

In Edmonton its the “Build Mr. Katz an Empire” model that uses public money to finance and construct a facility that the team gets the profits for running while keeping the team artifically terrible until they can move into Temple Katz, while also providing money for additional development surrounding the temple. I mean sports entertainment complex.

27. gd says:

It makes no sense to get rid of Gagner or MPS at this point unless it helps gets them a legitimate under 27 top 4 Dman. In the salary cap era it’s not so bad to have some of your 1st rd picks not be as good as you hope as long as they become legitimate NHL players and you properly slot their pay. I don’t want to make the same mistake this franchise has done in the past with guys like Arnott and Brodziak. Anyone under 25 is at the right age to be around for this team’s peak years.

28. Traktor says:

I don’t like the “Surround Gagner with better players and he will be more productive” excuse.

Sure, its possible he would do better, but the same could said for every player .

The question should be: what type of players should we surround Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yukupov with?

Gagner needs the above players a lot more than they need him. Those guys are going to kill it with or without 89.

I’m not saying we need to trade him but at some point Edmonton needs to trade F for D and bring in some toughness up front that can actually play.

Keep in mind there is always a Kyle Wellwood (47 P) or Pierre Parenteau (67 P) out there than can produce offensively.. they just need an opportunity.

I think we all know which players on the team stir the drink. The smart play is to identify those guys and not get woodies for the players that get to play with them. I would wager that most NHL players are going to put up points playing with 3 1st overall picks and Jordan Eberle. I think we have a real good opportunity to trade some F for D and not lose much in terms of offensive production.

29. Traktor says:

hunter1909:

Woodguy is a lot of things but he isn’t a Brian Burke wannabe.

For starters, Burke is on record saying he isn’t a stats guy. He said he gets papers all the time on stats but hasn’t found anything worth while to this point.

Secondly, Burke is all about “truculence”. I don’t think that is Woodguy.

The only similarity between Burke and Woodguy is the think they are smarter than the actually are and like to talk a lot.

30. Bos8 says:

Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Faksa, Girgenson, Gaunce are centers, even Forsberg has played center. All are 6′+ and will play at 200. All Yakupov does is multiply the off kilter team. Reider matched Yakupov from January on, is the same size and kills penalties. Okay that’s four RWs, below 6′. Cardinal rule is D and strength up the middle. The OIlers as constructed have no strength up the middle. No one to control play.

31. Maverick says:

Aw yes, let the speculation begin on what the Oilers management should or shouldn’t do. Everyone seems to think trading down for a defenseman is an option, I’m sorry but that is just not the correct course of action. Here is my train of thought; Forward depth who can score and provide offense behind Hall, RNH, Eberle is……?? Exactly! Hemsky? Nope, gone is 2 years, Smyth? Nope, Magnus? highly unlikely, Horcoff? (LOL) Nope, Gagner? highly unlikely, anyone on the farm…. Maybe Pitlick or Reider in the OHL but other than that who are the Oilers offensive forward prospects?

As for defensive prospects there are many, Klefbom, Gernat, Marincin, Musil, so that is four who could be Top 4 defenseman playing 20 minutes a night. Is there a Top 1 or Top 2 defenseman among them? Maybe, a huge maybe but unlikely. However, there is depth there that will help in the future to strengthen the defense.

The forwards are definitely lacking in Top 6 prospect forwards, that is why drafting Yakupov is the only option in my opinion. Perhaps trading a Gagner (if you move Hall to centre) and Magnus and Hemsky plus a 2nd round pick brings you back a top 2 defenseman. The Oilers just can’t pass up drafting a Top 6 forward with 40 goal potential.

Depth chart: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/edmonton_oilers

While this was true at the beginning of the season, it wasn’t at the end.

In his last 25 games, Gagner played with top 6 players and played as a C.

In his last 25 games Gagner went 5g 5a 10pts.

Not good enough given his prime role and team mates in those games.

In the last 1/3rd of the season Gagner, like Dubnyk, had a chance to put a strangle hold on a job for next year.

I think he failed to do that.

I also think that running 93,10,20,57 as your C’s is a disaster.

If they trade him, they better have a plan at C because he is currently the 2nd best option they have.

Technically, it is decision time on Gagner, who is a decent young 2nd line centre. It is sign him for 4 years (he is UFA in two) or trade him. So he will be shopped to see what he might return if you decide not to sign him. I think the better risk-reward is in signing him, but at this junction, one has to check the market for him.

I want to turn the #1 pick into a defenseman plus something.

34. fuzzy muppet says:

Woodguy:

While this was true at the beginning of the season, it wasn’t at the end.

In his last 25 games, Gagner played with top 6 players and played as a C.

In his last 25 games Gagner went 5g 5a 10pts.

Not good enough given his prime role and team mates in those games.

In the last 1/3rd of the season Gagner, like Dubnyk, had a chance to put a strangle hold on a job for nextyear.

I think he failed to do that.

I also think that running 93,10,20,57 as your C’s is a disaster.

The last sentence is the kicker. They can’t trade Gagner. He may not be what we hoped for, but there are NO OTHER OPTIONS.

If Horcoff is your 2nd line C, they have another shot at 1st OV again next year.

Hemsky, Paajarvi, Smyth, Omark and others are the ones in trouble….not Gagner

35. hunter1909 says:

My NHL fan friends are today all saying the same basic thing re the Yakupov virtual acquisition; namely something needs to be done about NHL corruption and allowing certain teams to tank year after year etc.

Twice in the last few years have felt similarly; once when the Avs were giften kariya+Sellanne, the other one when Bouwmeester/Reghr/Phaneuf were preparing to stomp their way to the(pre-season anyway) cup.

KLowe/Tambellini pitch to potential UFA defencemen this spring: “We’ve got Gretzky/Messier/Kurri+Anderson 2.0 … now…who wants to be Paul Coffey?

Maverick,

You will get secondary scoring, and primary scoring, if you improve the defence. It is amazing how much better forwards are when the puck exits the defensive zone quickly, and the outlet pass hits your tape in stride.

37. nathan says:

“Everyone seems to think trading down for a defenseman is an option”

Maverick,

Nope. But I’d trade Nail and forwards other than 4,14, 93 for an ELITE young D & the centre or D Stu covets most in the draft.

Not gonna happen so we pick Nail.

Wierd thing is after we pick Nail if the right Centre or D falls to the right place there’s still an outside chance you could actually see the team on the clock trading their pick and a stud D for a package including Nail.

38. hunter1909 says:

Dear Idiots: There’s nothing wrong with Sam Gagner, aside from the fact he was rushed into the NHL.

Gagner’s currently preparing to become a 1st rate(if not line) NHL centreman.

39. Jordan says:

Woodguy,

Jason Gregor made comments on Nation Radio this past weekend that “People in Oilers Management wanted to see what Hall could do at Centre”.

I think he qualifies as a “better plan”.

If he’s playing C, then one of Gagner, Horcoff or Belanger either needs to move to the wing or needs to move to a different team.

I already posted above what I want to see happen, but I think there’s a lot of value in having many lines that can produce, and I’d keep the guys who can actually play, over the guys who can not give up too much.

40. hunter1909 says:

If Tambellini’s stupid enough to trade Nail he deserves to burn in the flames of hell!

41. fuzzy muppet says:

Off season needs

1) A Center(pref. right-handed) with size that can handle top six duty (good luck, about 20 teams need this)

2) A goaltender to help DD. (probably easy to do)

3) Most importantly, 2 Defensemen that are capable of making a good breakout pass to what might be the best young forward core in the last 30 years. That Gilbert trade(and I like Schultz alot) looks even worse now….

4) 2 bottom six players tough to play against.

Are you confident Tambo/Lowe can accomplish this without opening more holes on the roster??

I’M NOT

42. Bos8 says:

Why did the OIlers finish 29th? Their top four match anybody. Three top four D. The answer – weak secondary, no dominating center, Gagner is not part of the solution, basically disappeared the last 25 games. The Oilers have to contend 5×5, DD was facing 35 shots plus a game.

43. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Strength down the middle isn’t a problem for offence but defensively they would get crushed against a big team ala SJ or even the nucks. Hall is all power and just a beauty on the wing, I have doubts that he has the awareness for C.

He seemed to possibly be available at the mid-point, but things have improved there. What would it take to get Getzlaf? Does Gagner, MPS, 2013 first get a seat at the table?

44. MrSmitty says:

As far fetched as this may sound, the Oilers need to trade the First pick for Ryan Getzlaf. He is the big skilled center we crave. He also is Canadian, a champion and a sask/western boy. You can’t have too many of those right?

45. sliderule says:

@mustang
    Teubert was the thirteenth player picked in first round.

Dumba has questions whether his game will transfer,

Rielly has missed most of the season

Trouba played in USHL and Oil don’t seem to get a read on these players

Reinhart on a powerhouse team looks a lot like Teubert at least in boxes

When you have a forward and a defenceman in the top ten who have missed most of the season you wonder about the qualiyty of the draft after Yak

46. Ducey says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

I am not sure it makes sense to get a seat at that table if thats the cost. Getzlaf had 57 pts playing with Perry and Ryan. Is he going to do better here?

The thing to remember about Gagner is that he is very similar to his dad. Dave didn’t really do much in a bunch of trials in the NHL until his 6th year post draft, when he put up 78 pts in 75 games. That wasn’t as much of a dead ball era, but its likely Samwise breaks out in his 6th year as well – next season.

47. LMHF#1 says:

I think the only type of trade you’d consider involving #1 would be something like #1 + Dubnyk for Price and Subban…or something to that effect. Something that solves multiple problems with young but proven players. I don’t think there are many of those deals out there.

48. FPB94 says:

LMHF: I highly doubt they get rid of both. Carey’s settled with the fanbase and it’s his team now.

49. LMHF#1 says:

FPB94:

That’s fine. Just saying that’s what it would take. Otherwise, welcome Mr. Yakupov!

50. Jordan says:

LMHF#1,

I had considered something like Gardiner + Leafs 1st for Edm. 1st, but with the doproff in value being so signficant between Nail and everyone else, I can’t say that I think Gardiner alone makes up for it. Especially if the Oilers reach with it and take Reinhart or some other flawed defenseman.

I like the idea of Dion + Leaf’s 1st for Khabbibulin + Edmonton’s 1st, but I can’t see Burke going anywhere near that without another pick added in from Edmonton’s end, and I worry about the cap situation from Edmonton’s side. I can expect they would love to have the cap space though, what with every player in the NHL secretly wanting to play in the centre of the universe.

Still, Dion’d sure do a hell of a lot to push down the depth chart on the back end, and still having a chance to pick someone like Hertl at 5 would be a reasonable play from the Oilers perspective – especially if the Oil kings can obtain his CHL rights…

51. hunter1909 says:

Oilers are nuts to trade Yakupov…take a look where he’s born it’s basically Edmonton East. Edmonton’s probably going to be a big city to him. So long as they marry him off to a local gal…

I’d like someone to run a contest whereby the 20 hottest Edmonton girls, between 17-21 get to attend a party with the 4 young guns, lol.

I’m also available as a judge. :P

52. lazerguidedmelody says:

And in Omark news:

Grant Pegden-Wright‏@realoilfan

@Limpanomark prove the Oilers wrong about you at the worlds! show them what they’re going to lose. Enjoy!

Linus Omark ‏@Limpanomark

@realoilfan I live to show that the “two” are wrong. But I really hope edm let me have a chance in another nhl team

6:17 PM – 11 Apr 12via web · Details

53. delooper says:

Tatarstan is basically the Saskatchewan of Russia. Very warm, honest, earnest, friendly people.

54. Jordan says:

Interesting. Apparently Linus really wants to play for another NHL Org. Any thoughts on who might take him?

Made the comments from his twitter account

55. Clay says:

Jordan,

Read this and see if you still want Phanugly on a team you actually support:

The day Phaneuf is an Oiler is the day I stop cheering for them altogether.

hunter1909,

Yeesh, guy. I know this is an over-the-top-attempt at humour, but at least say “18-21″.

56. LP says:

Jordan:

I like the idea of Dion + Leaf’s 1st for Khabbibulin + Edmonton’s 1st, but I can’t see Burke going anywhere near that without another pick added in from Edmonton’s end, and I worry about the cap situation from Edmonton’s side.I can expect they would love to have the cap space though, what with every player in the NHL secretly wanting to play in the centre of the universe.

As much as I think moving Khabby could be possible and might also bring a worthwhile player, I hope to god to never see Dion Phaneuf in an Oiler uniform. EVER.

It’s just wrong.

Nail all the way.

57. rickithebear says:

If murray is 2 weeks older he is in the 2011 draft.
    Wonder were he gets picked.
    murray is 18.
    We need to compare him to his WJC peers like hamilton, Oleksiak, Beauliau
    I figure he goes #17 to #23 in 2011.

Heck Klefbom is only 2 months older than Murray.
    You want us to Use a top 3 Pick.
    On a player who was inferior to his equal aged peers at the WJC.

Let me talk you off the Idiocy ledge.

58. Captain Obvious says:

I love Omark. He’s a mensch and the Oilers are fucking retarded.

Jordan:
    Interesting.Apparently Linus really wants to play for another NHL Org.Any thoughts on who might take him?

Made the comments from his twitter account

Omark’s tweet:

There was some speculation on twitter who the “two” are (Lowe and Tambo, Tambo and Renney, Renney and Krueger)

Andy Grabia chimed in that “the two” is a good nickname for Lowe/Tambellini.

Then Cameron Thompson (@ThomsonCam) owned it all by pronouncing that Lowe/Tambellini should be referred to as “The Duece”

The Duece.

That;s gold Jerry, gold!

LMHF#1:

In my opinion there are two: OEL and Carlson.

Some guys put Fowler in that group, I’m not quite there with that player.

Otherwise you keep him and trade other parts of the roster for D.

This is a precious, precious commodity and unless you have a proven home run coming back, you take Yakopov.

The idea of trading down is the worst option of them all.

You were just gifted the one player in the draft who is heads and tails above everyone else according to those whose track record speaks well.

You don’t waste that commodity for a “good” player and a high pick.

Its a home run to have him on your team, only home runs coming back if you move him.

61. rickithebear says:

MrSmitty: the Oilers need to trade the First pick for Ryan Getzlaf. He is the big skilled center we crave.

look at getzlaf’s numbers before and after 40 g Perry and Ryan.

Getzlaf Before 20G 30A –
    gagner career avg 16G 29A
    Getzlaf After 20G 55A
    More than likely 2M for 1-4 more goals

Jordan:
    Woodguy,

I think he qualifies as a “better plan”.

Putting Hall at C might give him a longer career. The guy is a little too fearless.

Takes away his ridiculous speed at wing, but you have another to fill that hole now.

Might be a good idea.

Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin etc, etc seem to produce well from the C position, Hall probably would too.

I’d put him with at least one winger who knows where his own zone is. Pajaarvi is probably a good bet.

63. Jordan says:

Clay,

The article is pretty clear that he’s a bad captain.

I don’t want him to be captain. I want him to make life miserable for other team’s forwards, get the puck to our forwards, and ragdoll anyone who tries to run our guys.

Those are things he can do. Those are things this team needs. When people talk about CFP’s time here, they don’t talk about… his off-ice activities that certainly lead to his need to leave town RFN, they talk about how his efforts on the ice almost won Edmonton its first cup in nearly 2 decades.

If it takes a bad@ss or two in an Oilers uniform to bring us a cup (or more?)… just tell me where to sign up.

LP,

Winning covers up a lot of faults. I don’t need to like all the people working for Rexall Sports (which I don’t) to cheer for the Oilers. I want to see them win. If he helps make that happen, I’m on board.

64. Dipstick says:

Woodguy,

Why not try PRV at Center? He has speed and defensive awareness.

65. Jordan says:

Dipstick,

Offense is generated off the rush by the Centre. Magnus has not shown great play-making skill, his hands aren’t great and his passing is average so far.

He lacks a lot of what a person needs to be an effective Centre. WHile his defensive acumen is a plus, there’s a lot more minus that make him a less desirable Centre than Hall would be.

The big worry with Hall at C is that there are a lot more areas a hit could be coming from. He could get creamed really badly at centre. Not sure it would actually be any safer for him.

66. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

I haven’t agreed with you on MacT, but on this I agree wholeheartedly.

The starting point for any trade for a d-man right now has to be MPS. And if Turris will get you Rundblad, then MPS should be able to get you a decent d-man (Sekera) or d-man prospect (Despres).

67. nathan says:

I don’t mind moving the pick if you are getting a sure fire, NHL proven young Dman who is already holding his own or beating the toughs and is still on an ELC. In my opinion there are two: OEL and Carlson.

Woodguy,

And RFAs under 25?.

68. stevezie says:

We all love Omark, but are these comments doing him any favours? Clearly they factored into the oilers cockblocking him, doesn’t he have an agent to tell him the NHL is an old boys club that hates personality?

69. bookje says:

“The Two” are Renney and Tambellini. Lowe likes Omark and would have liked to have seen him get more of a chance. In fact this split between Lowe and Renbellini is behind a lot of the uncertainty right now. Hemsky also didn’t see eye to eye with Renney and that’s one of the reasons Lowe was the key Oiler rep in the signing of Hemsky. Katz really pushed Tambellini on both Hemksy and Smyth, and now Tambellini is dragging his feat on resigning Smyth. Really, the next couple of weeks are about Katz deciding if he wants to go with the slow and steady approach of Renbellini or if he would like to bring in MacT and go with MacLoweT as a management team.*

*Note – this is me just pretending I know stuff – I know nothing.

70. FPB94 says:

Stevezie: TBH I would be doing the same. If some coach cut my ass over Steve Macintyre or JFJ i’d be all over gtfo ASAP.

71. Traktor says:

Trading Yakupov for Carlson would be terrible. Jesus.

Yakupov will be a 50 goal scorer.

72. regwald says:

Tambo says on presser that the coaches will be back.

73. regwald says:

Tambo back tracks … says, Renney is their current coach. Will take 2 weeks and talk to Renney then after the under 18′s tourney where he’s heading.

74. cabbiesmacker says:

russ99:

Really? This one sure wasn’t. If those Hawk fans were looking for flavour of the week maybe, but with Toews, Kruger, Bolland already ensconced at the position, Kane and Sharp perfectly capable of playing it, and Brandon Pirri and Mark McNeill coming down the pipe, Sam Gagner’s services are really not required. If he’s wiling to take on 4th line duties for a couple of years at $2M per then by all means.

75. hunter1909 says:

What team in their right mind has a young ELC proven defender? That they’re willing to trade for a draft pick??

Doughty/1st pick is where Tambellini starts, and no one is going to want to offer this.

Which immediately drops into Burke offering Schenn+Kadri style comparative absolute rubbish.

Someone compared having 1st overall like a three on one – you just shoot the damn puck and forget about fancy ideas re passing. Bang on analogy!

76. FPB94 says:

Hunter:

Subban + 3rd pick + ??? for Gagner + 1st pick + ???

77. Traktor says:

I’m pretty sure Omark is referring to Gregor and Tencer.

78. Captain Obvious says:

stevezie,

The other thing is it is pretty clear how hard he tried to toe the line. He was optimistic when we all knew he wasn’t going to get a chance to play. If it was me I’d be pretty bitter.

79. bookje says:

regwald:

Well given that Tambo doesn’t have a contract, its hard for him to talk about who will be coaching next year I would think.

I wonder if Katz is waiting for. I wonder if he is mulling it over between the guy who sold him on a rebuild, but failed to deliver ‘improvement’ this year VS the guy who had him flying to BC to kiss Heatley’s ass. Maybe he is considering giving both the boot?

80. Ribs says:

Captain Obvious: You’re probably right. However, it is part of why I love Omark. He is irrepressible and courageous despite the fact that it isn’t in his self-interest.

There’s another word for it….It’s not as flattering.

81. stevezie says:

Captain Obvious,

It’s not often I cheer for an ex-player to burn us, but Omark deserves many hat tricks against the Oilers. (Assuming he’s capable of scoring an NHL hat trick, which I’ll admit is not really proven.)

I like the idea of trading him to the Ducks for the rights to Schulz. You’re not going to get any value for a guy that couldn’t crack the 29th team, I’d rather have a week of bargaining with Schulz over a 3rd rounder.

82. cabbiesmacker says:

Best thing about yesterday was what it now provides for internet speculation out to draft day. So very nice to have options. ST is grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat mind you…

As far as Gagner goes I’ve just never seen him as an answer for a team trying to make a serious climb up the standings. Just don’t see him as much more than a support player.

The biggest tell for me is his ppg production over the 5 years he’s been in the bigs, despite a variety of linemates and situations. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, and I totally understand those that may say it’s one of his biggest assets, but what do people really think is his best upside now that he’s headed towards the $3.5M + per annum rate?

The biggest factor here is probably who the Oilers have to replace him with but the guy is pretty projectable using the last 5 years for reference. (.63), (.62), (.60), (.54), (.62) ppg. Flatlined, and even with a hot streak that included the 8 point aberration, he was wildly inconsistent and missing from the score sheet for long stretches.

How do you slot the guy? He’s not huge on either the PP, PK, doesn’t add a ton in the size, shutdown, physical departments, but posts decent numbers 5 on 5. He’s probably also one of the Oilers better trade prospects if you think there are more glaring holes to fill.

If he’s perceived as having value for the dollars then have at him I guess but I think signing him long-term would be a mistake.

83. Clay says:

Jordan,

I respectfully disagree. I read it as another story in a long line of stories that call Phaneuf’s character as a player, teammate, and person into question.

I also don’t recall Phaneuf being quick to stand up for a teammate. I’ll admit that I haven’t watched him as much since he’s gone to Toronto, but in Calgary all he would do is run people, then run from their teammates who tried to hold him accountable. Maybe he’s been different in Toronto, but judging by what’s coming out of the Toronto media, I doubt it.

I live in Calgary, and I have yet to find one Flames fan who isn’t glad he’s gone, and they got absolutely hosed in the trade.

84. cabbiesmacker says:

Traktor:
    I’m pretty sure Omark is referring to Gregor and Tencer.

No way. It’s DSF and Art Vandelay.

nathan:

Woodguy,

And RFAs under 25?.

Not sure what you are trying to say.

86. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Are you only interested in proven top end D still on ELC? What about trading for other proven top end D under 25?

Heard part of Tambellini’s presser.

Schenn + 5th overall from TOR immediately comes to mind.

That would be terrible.

UFA at 25 and hasn’t been able to beat 2nd level comp.

Carlso and OEL are UFA at 26 (4 and 5 years respectively) and already beat 1st level comp.

Carlson is also RH and everyone knows how tough it is to find RH 1st pairing Dmen who can play 30 min a night.

88. Jordan says:

cabbiesmacker,

I think that there is a fair amount of evidence that signing any player for a huge term is probably a bad investment. Unless said player is named Crosby or Malkin, and even then we can see that injury is a big risk to consider on those deals as well.

Quite honestly, I hope that part of the new CBA is a term limit of 5 years on all new contracts. It would sure do a lot to help avoid any other Lecavalier/Luongo/Di Pietro contracts that are making things more difficult for their teams than they should. Then the actual salary bcomes important and forces some semblance of reality on the Cap Hits.

Won’t stop overpays, but may help limit their effects.

All that being said, I wouldn’t sign Gags for more than 3 years @ 3.5, unless you’re paying him 3 M per or less. The risk he doesn’t step forwards is too great to risk more term or salary on him.

Clay,

They are fair concerns Clay. To be honest, I expect we will never know how he will fit because I expect the Oilers won’t deal for him. I think there’s enough smoke when it comes to the idea that they will try to get all the kids signed to identical 6M per contracts when they need to be re-signed that having Phaneuf’s 6.5M would interfere with their desire to create communist hockey in Canada.

That said, its too bad he didn’t have the kind of character that a Teubert or a Hordichuk does. That would be exactly the kind of defenseman we are looking for. Well, us and every other team in the league…

89. Traktor says:

Woodguy:

Carlson was -15 last year. How is that “beating 1st leveling comp”?

Yakupov is near Stamkos level. You don’t trade him unless you are getting a superstar in return.

90. jake70 says:

“”What I got from what he said is that he’s leaning towards trading the first for a roster player and another high pick.”"

Could be the standard comments implying the Oilers are “open for business”, get the bidding war started and maybe he gets the “godfather offer”.

91. Moosemess says:

With the Oil now becoming the second team to pick 1st overall three years in a row, and given Burkie’s comments RE: the Pittsburgh Model, it got me thinking about a few things.

Namely:

1) Pittsburgh, Chicago, Nords/Avalanche. Which model are the Oilers following?

2) Is trading Yakupov a definite mistake?

3) Can Tambellini screw up this historic bounty?

I believe the answers may be as follows:

1) The answer is none of the above. The Oil are following their own unique model (yes I know, let the mocking commence). Burkie hit it on the head with his assertion that the Pittsburgh model basically came to fruition when they lucked into drafting Crosby – a true generational talent. He is the player that moved them from contender to champion. Players like these come along very rarely and far exceed the value of the traditional 1st overall pick. Quebec enjoyed the same windfall when they drafted Lindros and used that single asset to build the core of their Cup contender. Honestly, why doesn’t this trade get more recognition as worst ever? It far exceeds the Espo to B’s trade for sheer one-sidedness.

Those two models aside, that leaves Chicago. And given that the Oil currently have no comparables for Keith and Seabrook (i.e. franchise defensmen maturing on the vine far in advance of the Toews and Kane picks to follow), I think we can now say the blueprint that the Oil will be following is highly unique based on the team Tambellini inherited and will thus dictate its own unique decisions from the org going forward. In short, we’re in uncharted territory here in many ways.

2) I think trading Yakupov could be the smartest thing the Oil could do to escalate their timeline towards becoming a Cup contender.

When their window of opportunity started opening, the Avs realized it and pulled the trigger on trading Owen Nolan (1st overall) for Sandis Ozolinsh to meet their massive need for a minute muncher and pp qb (sound familiar?). The Avs could afford this deal because of the sheer force of forward depth they possessed (that may sound familiar as well but that Avs team TRULY had an embarrassment of riches in their Top 9):

Joe Sakic (15th overall)
    Adam Deadmarsh (14th overall)
    Valeri Kamensky (possible 1st overall if he’d been eligible for the draft?)
    Scott Young (11th overall)
    Peter Forsberg (6th overall)
    Mike Ricci (4th overall)

This team was seriously stacked at the forward position (so much so that they could part with a Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko to get Roy) but it was the relatively late stage acquisition of Sandis Ozolinsh and Patrick Roy that put them over the top. In other words, they realized that there comes a time in the rebuild when ‘needs’ must be addressed and one of the blue chips has to be sacrificed to meet those needs.

Personally, I’m in favor of the Oil waiting to see if the Preds crash out in the first round to see if the 1st overall could bring them back Shea Weber. Alternatively I like them swapping picks with the Leafs with Jake Gardiner also included in the return, and then hoping like hell that Grigorenko falls to them at #5.

3) Of course Tambo can screw this up, but the Nords model shows us that an embarrassment of riches can afford the odd misstep as long as patience is exercised with the bulk of the prospects. The best thing you can say about the Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark trade is the Avs got Sylvain Lefebvre. That’s a saving grace but certainly that trade was far from Lacroix’s shining moment as a GM. But he made enough smart moves to compensate. He raped the Habs when Roy had them over a barrel and he turned a potentially disastrous stalemate situation with Lindros into a franchise defining trade. That takes serious cahones AND patience. Tambellini certainly has the latter. Time will tell if he has the former OR whether it will even be him in the chair when the draft and/or this deal goes down.

It’s really interesting to consider that none of the 1st overall picks the Nords drafted (Sundin, Nolan, Lindros) ended up playing on their Cup winning teams. Definitely shows that there’s more than one way to manage these assets effectively to get to the holy grail. You have to be lucky as well as good to build a Cup contender and Tambellini is definitely that.

rickithebear:
    If murray is 2 weeks older he is in the 2011 draft.
    Wonder were he gets picked.
    murray is 18.
    We need to compare him to his WJC peers like hamilton, Oleksiak, Beauliau
    I figure he goes #17 to #23 in 2011.

Heck Klefbom is only 2 months older than Murray.
    You want us to Use a top 3 Pick.
    On a player who was inferior to his equal aged peers at the WJC.

Let me talk you off the Idiocy ledge.

Ryan Murray played a more significant role as a draft eligible defenseman for Canada in the World Juniors than any other defenseman in the last decade except for Drew Doughty, even though he had played only a few games before the tournament after returning from injury.

The World Junior coaches were playing him ahead and arguably in more significant roles even so soon after injury over his so-called peers.

The Avalanche traded all of their #1 guys to win the Stanley Cup.

The Oilers used Brian Rodney, Alex Plante, and Taylor Chorney on defence this year. Barker and Peckham too. Ryan Whitney, a real solid citizen, is basically done because of injury.

Sutton was Karlsson mentor and protector his rookie season in Ottawa. His presence gave Karlsson a little more time and space to break in on the 3rd pairing, well because the opposition has to be aware of Sutton.

Hey, I know its lonely here out on Murray Island.

93. FPB94 says:

I’m eager for the debut of the PHI/PIT series.

Couturier’s been all world playing against Malkin and Crosby.

94. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Heard part of Tambellini’s presser.

Schenn + 5th overall from TOR immediately comes to mind.

Terrible doesn’t begin to describe things in that scenario. Hopefully St is smart enough to not be hung up on draft position to let it happen.

If Burke calls, and I think he will, you start the conversation with Gardiner. If Burke hangs up then he can go F himself. He needs star power and Yakupov’s cachet to deflect the heat he’s taking and if he doesn’t want to pay for it then buh bye.

I’d definitely be interested in a combo like Frattin and Gardiner if it were offered for the pick / picks or prospect though.

95. FPB94 says:

Cabbie: Not enough.

Ask for Gardiner AND Colborne.

96. DSF says:

Mark Spector Sports ‏ @SportsnetSpec

So, sounds like Tambellini and Renney are both back in EDM. For the record, I’m good with that. We’d offer 2-year deals.

97. Ducey says:

FPB94: Cabbie: Not enough.Ask for Gardiner AND Colborne.

I like that.

98. cabbiesmacker says:

FPB94:
    Cabbie: Not enough.

Ask for Gardiner AND Colborne.

Colbourne’s from my neck of the woods FPB. I like Frattin better. Burke would be choking long and hard over giving up Gardiner anyways. The Frattin request would just have him looking to rent another barn.

Traktor: Carlson was -15 last year. How is that “beating 1st leveling comp”?

I hear that while Yakopov is the best player in the draft, he’s not in Stamkos’ category, or even Hall.

I’m going off people with a good track record with this stuff (McKenzie, Button), not my own opinion.

Before you dismiss Button, only McKenzie has a better track record in predicting the order of the draft.

Also,

Carson was +0.94/60 in 10/11 taking on 1st pairing comp. (team +27 Goal Diff)

Carson was -.51/60 in 11/12 taking on 1st pairing comp. (team -8 Goal Diff)

You can argue that he didn’t do it two years in a row, but he’s beat 1st pairing comp, is still on ELC and is RH.

100. FPB94 says:

WoodguY: Button might be good to predict the order, but he was subpar as a scout himself.

FPB94:

That may be, but his record is his record.

102. bluenotenorth says:

When ST said Yakopov reminded him of Bure in his Vancouver days, it convinced me he will be drafting him. I’ d take hi, go after J Schultz and a UFA d-man, play Gagner between Hemsky and Yakopov and move him at the 2013 trade deadline.

103. FastOil says:

bluenotenorth:
    When ST said Yakopovreminded him of Bure in his Vancouver days, it convinced me he will be drafting him. I’ d take hi, go after J Schultz and a UFA d-man, play Gagner between Hemsky and Yakopov and move him at the 2013 trade deadline.

Bidding war between the Quebec Coyotes and the Habs. Hey, he has a french name and both need offense.

BTW, Yak n Hem are both RW. How about Smyth Gags Yak, easier minutes. Smyth will hold up better and someone has to win the puck and go the the front of the net. Hard minute Belanger and Horcoff if they remain and pump up the trade bait. Two scoring, two checking lines until a young centre can carry weight reliably. And no AHL calibre players unless necessary, except MVP of course.