The Antti Prospect

As the AHL season winds down, the story on the young OKC prospects has some interesting final chapters. Among the most interesting is Antti Tyrvainen. Undrafted and stick in Oklahoma City all season, he is less famous among Oilers fans than Lennart Petrell but has age on his side. Is Antti Tyrvainen an NHL prospect?

Tyrvainen (#14, shown with Tanner House) has turned it on since the beginning of March and is closing well. The now 23-year old winger offers grit, hard work and some skill. Oilers signed him in June, a two-year deal so he’ll be back with the organization this fall. The contract is paying him $55,000 for the AHL portion and divides a $90,000 signing bonus over the two seasons. He showed well in the rookie camp and early in the main camp and definitely has some things that will get him noticed–aggressive, good speed, abrasive.

Recently–really after Anton Lander was sent down–Tyrvainen is one of the players who has improved markedly overall and specifically in the boxcars. He scored a SH goal on his 23rd birthday to help his team win and after teaming with the Swede Lander and rookie pro Tanner House the chemistry has been excellent for the trio.

TODD NELSON: “From the start of the season, we knew he (Tyrvainen) had the skills. He plays an abrasive style. He’s playing with confidence now and has good chemistry with his linemates (Lander and House).”

I think it’s interesting to look at the Oiler rookie pro forwards in OKC and what they’ve done in the last 10 games. Callups and injuries have allowed some of them to emerge a little more and the results are very interesting.

OKC AHL ROOKIE PRO F’S IN THEIR LAST 10 GAMES
  1. Hunter Tremblay 3-3-6 +5
  2. Antti Tyrvainen 3-3-6 E
  3. Tyler Pitlick 1-5-6 +4
  4. Anton Lander 1-4-5 +2 (has played in 9 games)
  5. Tanner House 4-0-4 +5
  6. Ryan Martindale 0-2-2 +1

Interesting. We’ll have all spring to stare at these numbers, but the losses of Brule and O’Marra combined with callups to Hartikainen, VandeVelde, Omark and others have given the AHL rookies a chance to shine. There’s some crust here, and some skill too. Is Antti Tyrvainen an NHL prospect? Yes.

31 Responses to "The Antti Prospect"

1. Bos8 says:

Looked it up Antti – 5’10/200. A bowling ball, wrecks zambonis

Those 5×5 suckers really hurt you when they hit. Hated those type of defensemen as kids, concentrated mass or something.

He’s a yapper, irritant, other teams’ players hate him. Was Tik spreading seed back home?

Bring him up next year, some sand in the axle grease. Enough Mr Nice Guy.

Major problem with this team – No Finns all year.

Paajarvi – too much Svenson

lol. Paajarvi too much Svensson. Great line.

3. spoiler says:

Bos8:
    Major problem with this team – No Finns all year.

Petrell?

4. Bos8 says:

spoiler: Petrell?

I was waiting for that.

Petrell is the black hole – stasis. Nothing happens. Time goes by, nothing happens.

I want players with some bark on them.

If someone has lunch, at least grab a sandwich.

Leave a mark, Goddammit.

Tell me that, pirrouetting with a half twist, Brown couldn’t do with three inches of butt end in his ribs.

Smid’s got a headache, the OIlers are doing image.

Screw Image – Payback

Where the hell is Marincin when you need him?

6. spoiler says:

Bos8: I was waiting for that.

Uh huh.

7. ASkoreyko says:

Nice to see Pitlick starting to produce with a little more regularity. I fell in love with this kids game in the preseason when he would hit everything that moved. They were not even all designed to really inflict pain as much as take the opposing player out of the play and separate the puck. We know Pitlick has a bit of nastiness in his game, I have high hopes that he will be our Bolland in the Chicago-style rebuild (that can still happen right?).

8. Bos8 says:

Lowetide: Geez, I think Petrell is pretty physical. I like the guy although the numbers are unkind. I guess I just think of him playing with little or no help but would be fine if they re-signed him in a depth role.

I like Petrell very much and agree that they need to re sign him. He’s an honest professional who does his job. Nothing happening on his shift means that he’s doing it.

I start foaming at the mouth at the veterans when Smid got the chop – nothing happened. Next game, all the theatrics – nothing happened.

You can’t play this whimpy hockey and have any self respect.. You have to establish a pecking order, exact a pound of flesh. The team owed Smid for all the sacrifices – he got nothing.

They had a chance to take a number, they did nothing.

Horcoff’s got the title but accepts none of the responsibility. You say to yourself “This is gonna hurt” and do the job.

Renney did smart mouth and it cost him but it cost his players more. Nobody has their backs.
    It’s a team sport, your team mates should be there for you.

You hurt me or my team mates, you get it back with interest.

These stylized challenges are so much horse shit. It’s posturing and does nothing other than looking like an idiot. That’s Renney’s biggest failing.

9. gd says:

Tyrvanain, Pitlick and Lander are the best hope for some effective bottom 6 sandpaper and grit in the next two years, so this team can stop needing to sign guys like Belanger and Eager and we fans can stop wondering if they screwed up by not signing the Vern Fiddlers and Boyd Gordons of the world.

I sense the joke of a farm system that they had through the 2000s is why we are so lacking in these kind of guys now, and at least this seems to be a major organizational improvement in the last two years.

10. DBO says:

I think one big issue is not so much llack of size as lack of fear by opposing D. No team D goes back to get the puck and worries that an Oiler is going to plaster their face against the boards. We lack the guy who hits a touch late, a touch dirty, and pisses off the other team. Harsky looks like he can be that guy, but what kills me is our bottom 6 needs one or two of those to be effective. you would think Eager would be that guy. he has size, speed and he can fight, but he rarely initiates with hitting. he initiates with talking after the whistle. Hit someone dammit. Crush Perry into the boards (or slash him like Harsky yesterday, an act sorely missing on this team the last few years).

So if the other Finn is and can be an effective PKer, and hits to hurt, then he is a better fit then Petrell, who does hit, but doesn’t bring nasty. We need a bit of ugly in our game. Look at Boston, they are stacked with nasty and so is St. Louis. If this is our lineup next year we have some of that missing ingredient

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Harsky-Nuge-Eberle
    Smyth-Horc-Jones
    MPS-Lander-Tyrvainen
    Eager-Petrell

I would like to see Belanger gone. yes he wins faceoffs and kills penalties, but I would hope Lander gets to play with some Euro’s with skill so our 4th line can outchance some teams (Eager and Petrell and Lander was a giant blackhole). I would be ok with Jones out the door and Petrell in his spot as well, since while he doesn’t bring the offense he is a better PKer and brings a physical edge.

11. Bos8 says:

I would ask Petrell if he can hip check. If yes, then the message would be “I want Brown doing cartwheels tonight”. Failing that you have a D angle him off and have Petrell meeting him at the chute.

12. spoiler says:

The media’s stance seems to have swung against Horcoff and his captaincy this year. There have been whispers and mentions that the dressing room isn’t what it could be and that Horc isn’t the captain for this team. I think to those with access he might be too quiet, seem too passionless, too cerebral–doesn’t wear his emotions on his sleeve like say Hall does. They don’t see THE HATE in the “we hate losing” from him. Nor is he going to be proactive on the ice with a little gamesmanship, with some dirty play or a big hit when it’s needed, with a fight in defense of a greenhorn. He’s not from the Toews, Doan, Iginla, Richards, Brown mold of captains.

I don’t know if coaching or management sees it the same way, but if they do, change is a comin’.

I think Horcoff is an excellent teacher and a consummate professional but I don’t know if he’s the guy I’d want leading me into battle.

13. stevezie says:

spoiler:

I don’t know that he is either, but I don’t know that he isn’t. I have enough fun second-guessing what I see on the ice.

14. spoiler says:

For sure, Stevie. Fortunately folks much closer to the situation than us will be making those decisions, lol. I’m wondering if the rumblings from the media are true though.

If it was up to me (and thank god it isn’t) I would probably give Hall an A next year.

15. Giant Squid Overlord says:

spoiler,

I like Hall’s fire and passion, but the kid has a lot of maturing to do. First he needs to earn the respect of the refs by not calling them out if EVERY-TIME a call is missed in his opinion. Also, he needs to earn the respect of the coaches by not second-guessing them (I”m thinking of the CBC empty net goal against where you didn’t need to be a mouth reader to know Hall disagreed with Renney on the pulling of the goalie). And finally you need the respect of your teammates who must admire his drive, but I’m sure recognize the kid needs to understand the NHL code and the unwritten rules of how to conduct yourself.

16. spoiler says:

Giant Squid Overlord:
    spoiler,

Goldman-Sachs,

I somewhat agree with the maturity sentiment, that’s why I’d make him an ‘A’ and not a ‘C’. But I also think those are two great examples of a player who hates to lose. When Renney pulled the goalie, everyone was wondering where his head was, not just Hall, and maybe the coach is the source of the malaise to which the media has alluded, dunno. But yes, his emotions can be a bit unbridled.

I don’t think there’s any question, though, of Hall’s teammates respecting him or Hall knowing the rules, unwritten or otherwise. I don’t think that’s an issue at all.

17. Giant Squid Overlord says:

spoiler,

By code or unwritten rules, I was referring to the points I had made prior – his conduct with the refs (young players need to earn a referee’s respect, and will not by making a public spectacle of a missed call) and with his coach (you didn’t see any other oiler bad mouth his coach, although, like you said, everyone was probably thinking “WTF you doing Renney?”)

I like your use of the word ‘unbridled’ to describe Hall. The kid is a thoroughbred, who just needs a little control to focus his drive. Should he wear a C or A in the near future – yes. But from the little things I saw this year, I’m hesitant to give him one. Granted, those who make those decisions see him/know him far better than I do, so I’ll leave it up to them to know when he’s ready.

18. cabbiesmacker says:

spoiler,

Very unfortunate that Whitney has been hamstrung with the injury. Hands down he would have been the best choice to wear the C.

I doubt very much stripping the captaincy from Horcoff would be sending the proper message to a younger team but maybe Schultz would be the go to guy if it happened.

19. striatic says:

this season is the first where i’ve really wanted to see Horcoff not on the team.

the cap hit of his has never bothered me, since this isn’t a cap team a player or two away from the cup, but now the term is starting to gnaw away.

the contract is un-tradable and 2012-13 should probably be his last season before a buyout, which means the Oilers should start looking for a replacement right now.

hall for captain? he has a lot of fire and i don’t know the locker room, so maybe .. but from the outside my preference is eberle getting the C in 2013-14 after a horcoff buyout. too much pressure for a young guy? ahem. we’re talking about Jordan “no pressure because i live for pressure” Eberle here. if anything i think it’ll improve his play, if that’s even possible. he’s mature, good with the public and the press, and i’ve never seen him give up on a game.

20. stevezie says:

We all love Hall, and I have never seen someone that young look so unaffected by a camera, but there is only one “official” responsibility that comes with a letter: talk to the refs. Until Hall learns to do that, I’m happy with him leading by example.

Oilers supply data for data hack-a-thon

Winner of the contest who uses Oiler data gets 30mins to pitch to Oiler Senior Mangement

Gogogogogogogogogo!!!

22. Wolfie says:

I have no problem with Hall’s comportment. I seem to remember another brash kid who spoke up when things weren’t going his way. He took the odd 10 misconduct for beaking at the refs and I’m not sure you could say it hurt him or his team. Gretzky was always in the refs ear. Living in Winnipeg most Jets fans in the day labelled him a whiner and I’m sure that was the case in other cities. Maybe I haven’t watched enough Oilers games this year but I haven’t seen that from Taylor Hall.

Showing up your coach is a completely different matter. That was a very controversial move by Renney. There was little chance for success in a game that was, for all intents and purposes, out of reach. It was grasping at straws. Regardless of Hall’s outburst, I’m sure Renney’s actions had many players questioning if he really knows what he’s talking about.

Hall seems to be the type who can lead by example and who isn’t afraid to speak up. I think he would make a good captain going forward.

23. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy:
    Oilers supply data for data hack-a-thon

Gogogogogogogogogo!!!

Great idea to keep the nerds busy. When’s the Rant-A-Thon?

24. oilswell says:

I’m still confounded why so many observers — including the Oilers to my frustruation — cling so tenaciosly to paint-by-numbers teambuilding theories. Its weird and a little bit of a headscratcher. On the individual evaluation point of view things have changed from the superficial 5-tools checkmarking and context-free comparison of counting numbers. So now if a player like Zetterberg is missing some of the 5 tools (he’s not terribly physical) and doesn’t top the scoring leaderboard, he’s still considered to be a great player.

Team analysis? Seems so much more slanted to “saw him good” tool counting. I think Pat Quinn is still on the payroll. Maybe Renney can consult with him about how many big hitters per line there should be, and the peoper number of enforcers needed to warm the bench. I’m sure Lowe has the questions covered for how many one shot scorers and number one proven goalies are needed. Hopefully they can help Tambellini with his checklist of pieces and enumerate the “holes” in the club.

Yeesh.

Sure, Boston and St. Louis are big and nasty, and yes Boston won it all recently. I think Pittsburgh and Detroit, and their records without being predominantly big and nasty, should be enough evidence to persuade observers that when size and grit become the headlines, the most important plot line is being ignored.

Sounds like Tyrvainen is an interesting player and would be fun for the home crowd to watch. Tulupov too, for that matter. And even Tubert or last years’ flavour Peckham, they’re also stuffed with grit.

I just hope they turn out to be great hockey players. An incongrouous wish, but there it is.

Oilswell: The problem, increasingly, is that they have too many contracts and not enough actual NHL players. Unless they’re willing to stick Belanger or Eager in the minors, or run without a hired gun next season, they’ll always be a day late and a dollar short.

26. oilswell says:

Well that’s different question than what I was asking about, which was more directed to comments such as DBO’s.

The too many contracts problem was 100% predictable when they began stockpiling picks and not enough of them flamed out early as duds. With a fixed limit for player count and a need for viable depth to support an injury prone parent club, at some point either the picks are unsuccessful and there’s room at the inn because the picks failed, or the musical chairs game would start and the org would start shedding players with actual value. While it may sound like a good thing that they have enough players that actual hard decisions might have to be made, it makes me wonder about the team’s asset management. Maybe the cost of finding one good D is to roll the dice a lot with Marincin, Gernat, Davidson, Klefblom, Musil, Blain, Bigos, Plante, and Teubert and hope that 1 or 2 make it and just live with the fact that it cost you (a) a slew of picks (including 2 firsts) and actual roster players, and (b) dedication of a limited amount of organizational slots to get it done. Maybe that’s the cost? Or maybe they could have captured some more value (moving picks to the future, 2-for-1 deals, using picks as sweeteners to replace a roster player with a better one).

But, yeah, I hope Tyrvainen becomes a better/more useful player than both Belanger and Eager.

27. OilClog says:

That’s what we’re left to as Oilers fans isn’t it.. any glimmer of hope anywhere in the Org. Guy has a good month in the minors and we begin to dream big! At this point there is no turning back, we just have to hope that one of these big dreams comes to life one day. It’s only been 6 years for this rebuild so far.

28. icecastles says:

stevezie: there is only one “official” responsibility that comes with a letter: talk to the refs

Don’t forget ceremonial face-offs. That’s why Luongo made such a good… oh. Wait.

29. vishcosity says:

Last night during the Oilers / Ducks game, between the second and third period, the Anaheim radio feed offered a few thoughts about Justin Schultz. Apparently Bob Murray said the team has every intention of signing the player, once the player is done with his academic pursuits, even if that means waiting for one more year.

The lady said that if Schultz doesn’t sign in Anaheim, then teams are going to be some leery of drafting players from the NCAA, future. And while I’m all about Edm getting a potentially valuable RHD, I’m more interested in making sure that players have a chance to play college hockey, then go pro, as that is clearly what my boy says he wants to do. I gotta say, a part of me now thinks it would be best for the kid to sign in Anaheim, lest US college becomes the new Russia.

Torn.

Watched the first game of the Frozen Four the other day, Union and Ferris St., I can’t say any of them really looked like potential players for any NHL squad. The coaching was outstanding though, systems were super tight and the defensive structures were clear and apparent even to me. Union has 2200 kids in the school, and gives out no academic scholarships. They played a team game and it was pretty special to see. Pretty exciting game for sure. Enjoyed that plenty.

I really hope that Kevin Lowe knows who is that coach (I can’t remember, my own self) but I gotta say that lately I’m really starting to lose any semblance of trust in such a thing.

30. Professor Q says: