Draft Profiles #1: Nail Yakupov

We’re about one month away from the 2012 Entry draft. Edmonton has the number one pick and some interesting options. Some believe it’s a one horse race, but the Oilers may see it differently. Stu MacGregor recently told Robin Brownlee “I’m going to say it’s between a group of guys.” Let’s look at the top prospect.

Nail Yakupov is a dynamic player. Last year the draft profiles looked something like this.

SCOUTING REPORT

• Corey Pronman, Hockey Prospectus: “He’s a well above-average skater with plus speed and tremendous agility. He has the ability to push the tempo up the ice and keep defenders on their heels, but he’s probably even more dangerous at a standstill with high-end agility, first step acceleration, and a real slippery aspect to his game. He has such a powerful stride that he can take a handful of strides and already have travelled half the distance of the ice.
  • Ross MacLean, Head scout ISS: “Yakupov is a gifted goal scoring forward, something that really doesn’t seem to come around that often, so when one does he is a hot commodity. His explosive bursts of speed and understanding of scoring principles off the rush is very similar to that of what we saw from Taylor Hall a couple years ago, but also has some people thinking Pavel Bure. He is a dynamic and electrifying player that can bring fans to their feet and is a prime talent for marketing the sport in any locale or market. He is a player that should be able to step into the next level very quickly and continue to progress. Put all that together and you still only have a glimpse of what makes him such a desirable prospect and the number one ranked for us at ISS.”

DESJARDINS NHLE (per 82gp)

1. Taylor Hall 17-29-46
  2. Nail Yakupov 18-22-40
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 11-27-38
  • Yakupov’s NHLE suggests another strong Calder candidate and a player “in the range” with Taylor Hall. Yakupov’s equivalency was actually ahead of Hall’s pace before his injury. Yakupov has the most offensive potential in this draft according to Gabriel’s horn.
  • TOI is also a concern. There have been reports of 28 minutes a night. THAT could skew things.

THE GOOD

• That’s a wonderful scouting report, I’m going to miss these. There’s no skating issues, no “wide body style slows him down” or “had mono” or “born with a tail” or some of the other maladies we’ve seen in the past with Oiler picks.
  • Another finisher, after a long stretch of few or none. This kid shoots bullets.
  • He can pass and take a pass and has some spine.
  • He lit it up at the WJ’s and scored a big hatty against a tough team same week.
  • He should be plug and play; I would expect Yakupov can play in the NHL next season and score goals.

THE BAD

• The knee injury is a concern.
  • His performance after the knee injury was well off previous performance.
  • Before: 26, 21-32-53 2.04ppg
  • After: 16, 10-6-16 1.00ppg
  • Lack of size will make it difficult for him to impact the game physically (he has an edge to his game).
  • Could use his linemates more, and sometimes tries to do too much (these are kind of the same thing but that’s how it was posted by Grant McCagg).
  • There are reports that he could use more work in his own end of the rink, but that’s true of damn near every 18-year old this side of Bob Gainey.
  • I’m not sure we’ve read a lot of good things about his play in traffic. I might have missed it in the scouting reports–he is described as a guy who has grit–but most of the highlights of him I’ve seen involve shooting from high percentage areas without a lot of opposition. He might be more of a perimeter player than someone like Taylor Hall, but that’s a guess based on comparing the two youngster’s scouting reports. Performing at a high level when there’s a lot of traffic is an extremly valuable asset; we don’t know–or haven’t been told–he has that gear.

THE REST

• You have to work hard to find something wrong with this kid. Sure, he could end up in Russia but the Oilers would have every opportunity to make sure that didn’t happen. Sure, if you draft him and can’t sign him that’s a problem but everything about him screams NHL. And his value would be exceptional, especially after an impressive year or two.
  • The Oilers are deep at RW, but that’s a problem that is easily solved. Trading Ales Hemsky or Jordan Eberle will probably be the better move two years down the road, and Yakupov is very likely to emerge as the #1 RW on this team early in his career (should they choose him).
  • The Oilers have an extreme need on defense and that may counter the gap in talent between Yakupov and the rest of the pack.

NAIL YAKUPOV WILL BE DRAFTED FIRST OVERALL.

69 Responses to "Draft Profiles #1: Nail Yakupov"

1. regwald says:

I want them to draft Yakupov. No trade down, no out guessing the other teams.

Deal other players for that dman – Gagner, Hemsky, PRV … etc etc.

2. Matt.N says:

Winning the lottery and then not taking the concencus wire to wire number one guy would be the worst kind of crazy.

BTW LT, when are you going to put up the PayPal button on this site? I would really like to buy you and the Mrs supper for all the enjoyment and information I have gotten from spending time here.

3. sliderule says:

When you have respected hockey minds like Bowman comparing him to Bure that should be all the answer the oil need.

Last year Hitch was comparing Nuge to a couple of guys and that worked out pretty good.

4. bookje says:

Steve Smith has been missing from the blog for more than 72 hours and can officially be declared as missing!

We are asking for volunteers to scour locations throughout the GTA, efforts should be focused on dens of Sarcasm and places where Oiler fan despora are know to congregate.

Be cautious about approaching Steve Smith. While he is bot dangerous, he may be confused and unpredictable and does not function in the manner of most individuals. He responds to discussions about word definitions and the NHL CBA. Discussion of the Oilers management team should be avoided as it could cause Steve Smith to turn violent.

We are all concerned about Steve Smith. I am offering a $200 reward* for information that leads to the safe return of Steve Smith. Please do what you can to bring Steve Smith home again.

*$200 reward is contingent upon Steve Smith rewarding me with $200 for my explanation of why Schulz is a free agent come July 1 (which is unlikely as I rode Godots coat ails on this)

5. Henry says:

Can Yakupov play left wing?

I don’t think he lacks size.

He may not be tall, but 5’11 190 lbs at 18 is not small.

He’s wide like Raffi Torres who filled out to (6’0 223lb), and is similarly built as Sidney Crosby (5’11 200lbs)

5’11″ or 6’0 205lb when he hits his 20′s is not unreasonable.

Pierre Maguire is right, follow the strong, muscular thighs.

7. Lucinius says:

I’m hoping they take Yakupov, if only so they don’t take some of the other options.

Unrelated; Canada losing to Slovakia was.. sad. Said it before the tourney started and I’ll say it again; I had big issues with how the team was put together and the coach. If the Oilers hired that Sutter to coach I think I’d have to get drunk before every Oiler game to tolerate it (instead of during).

8. VOR says:

I said in an earlier post that I thought the Oilers would trade down (probably to the Islanders). I think it is a stupid move but that it is what they will do. The math actually likes it in most cases (trading down is a high percentage move over a large sample size).

If we don’t trade down I believe all the available evidence says that you keep taking the BPA until you get to a point where everybody is just guessing. Then you go to “our scouts some him good.” Yakupov is the BPA. The only player who might challenge (if you believe he has recovered fully) is Galchenyuk.

Yakupov has speed and elite offensive skills. He is also immensely fun to watch. Passionless he isn’t.

The Oilers should take him. I still think they will trade down. In which case the management team needs to rob some other team blind for that to not be a really stupid move. The math I mentioned above is predicated on both parties to the transaction being equally good at their job and truly fair value at time of transaction. I am not sure the Oilers are up to getting fair value.

As for Canada and Slovakia, I keep wondering how long it will be before NHL coaches learn to grasp the concept that you have to coach the team you have not the one you’d like to have? I am praying New Jersey at least makes the Cup Final. They may not play the most exciting hockey but that intense, over-committed, forecheck suits their players nearly perfectly.

9. bsmart says:

Draft Nail, he has the best arrows and most potential to be a star out of any available player. Scorers are harder to come by than 2 way players. Franchise D men are hardly chosen top 5 in the draft. Do the smart obvious thing and draft the “NAIL” to put in the flames coffin. :)

10. bookje says:

You know, I have looked for an hour and no Steve Smith. I say we just call it done and start divvying up his stuff.

I’m taking “I don’t think X means what you think it means”

Does anyone want his dry wit? I think it may have gotten wet at some point though, because it has started to smell a bit foul as of late.

As per Nail, as I mentioned about a month ago, the Oilers are going to send out all kind of confusing signals, on the day of the draft, the big question will there be ‘a trade’, and then it will be ‘will the Oilers draft someone other than Nail?’ and then the Oilers will draft Nail.

11. regwald says:

Woodguy,

Hey Woodguy, care to answer a few questions about hardwood floors ? My parents are looking at getting some hardwood in their living room. If this is not your area of expertise, sorry to bother you. If you don’t mind, helping reply back and I will flip you my email addy.

Thanks

12. fuzzy muppet says:

With Canada elminated, how long will it be before we hear about Tambo’s contact and Renney’s situation resolves???

Getzlaf…..yuck

13. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

Lowe can’t even assemble a winning team from a talent pool as deep as Canada’s.

I would trade the number 1 pick for any of:

1) seguin
    2) Erik Karlsson
    3) Adam Larsson
    4) Jordan Staal

14. Ducey says:

Bookje,

Here is a link that might help you find Steve. He is apparently on tour:

Fuzzy,

I was thinking the same thing. Now that the Worlds are effectively over, maybe Tambo will be able to arrange for a coach. Sutter doesn’t seem to have done anything special enough at the Worlds to justify hiring him.

Hopefully the shine came off Murray and Schenn enough that Yakupov won’t be traded for them.

15. copperblueandwhite says:

They have to take Yakupov…hands down the BPA…tough choice tho’ when they have 4 AHL defensemen.

16. Ducey says:

Lowe can’t even assemble a winning team from a talent pool as deep as Canada’s.

Is Canada’s pool that deep? Between guys in the playoffs, injured, tired, and just not wanting to go, it seems like we are dealing with a lot of second tier players. There was maybe three or four guys that might make the Olympic team? (Tavares, Eberle, Keith, maybe Getzlaf (or Perry) if he can turn himself around)

Many of the teams in Europe play tournaments all winter to prepare and are used to the bigger ice and working as a team.

We produce many more players but the reality is that there is not much daylight between the top 20 players from each of 5 or 6 countries. Its pretty much a crapshoot.

17. bendelson says:

Ducey,

Granted, Canada’s talent pool is diminished for the reasons you mention, but bowing out to Slovakia in ANY tournament has to be considered a failure.

Going in, this was being heralded as an extremely important tourney with the Olympics around the corner.

Ug. Colour me unimpressed.

18. bookje says:

bendelson:
    Ducey,

Ug.Colour me unimpressed.

I work with a Slovakian and I have to tell you that he is way more excited about Slovakia winning than I would be about Canada winning, so Go Slovakia Go!

19. bendelson says:

bookje,

I saw The Slovaks play Canada at the Olympics and the Slovak fans were nothing short of amazing.

Nothing wrong with cheering for the underdog – except when they are playing Canada that is…

20. Downright Fierce says:

A week ago, Stauffer said to expect a GM announcement in the two weeks following Victoria Day. I believe he also said that Renney’s status would be addressed at said conference. It sounded a lot like guessing, but Stauffer has legitimate connections.

RE: Nail. He plays his offside, which opens up shooting lanes when he cuts to the middle. I can’t imagine him losing much offense by switching to left wing, but that could put him in more physical situations. Doesn’t change my opinion about him, just a reality about the player. He’s BPA & should serve as incredible Taylor Hall insurance. I pray the Oil take him or get a comparably talented, signed D & Murray/Rielly/Reinhart in return. It will burn if they pass on him, but a major upgrade to the backend would be a decent salve.

21. Traktor says:

Cam Ward was definitely the weak link for Canada.

Bunz and Roy look to be doing good right now but if I was in charge of an NHL team I would only draft goalies from Sweden and Finland. Goaltending is basically a different sport. Even the QMJHL has dried up.

22. TheOtherJohn says:

Vor

You mentioned trading down makes sense: “The math actually likes it in most cases (trading down is a high percentage move over a large sample size)” Were you referring to the NFL? where it definitely does make sense or the NHL? I am not sure I have seen too many trade down for extra players/picks that have over.whelmed me in the NHL. Also agree with your view: not sure I want LoweBellini being party valuing who they trade for in addition to the swap of picks

It does happen in the NFL all the time. Successfully. But mosy NFL drafts have players having 3-5 year viable careers in the 4th and 5th rounds. Such that trading 1st overall for 22nd OV, 2nd rounder and 4th rounder makes sense.

May also just be stung by the 2003 experience that kinda sours me on idea. Although as LT notes Pou is a marathoner and we are only at mile 12 of his career

23. Truth says:

I think it’s interesting that Yakupov beat Stamkos’ rookie points record for Sarnia last season by 9 points. Too bad he had a few injuries this season, who knows how much that affected his play.

I would guess that he runs away with the Calder playing with any combination of RNH, Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, and Gagner. Particularly with Yakupov being another pure scorer put on the PP with the Nuge.

It’s going to take one hell of a trade offer for the Oilers to not pick 1st overall.

24. bendelson says:

bookje,

Q#1: You seem to suggest SS is from TO… Is this correct?
    Q#2: His fascination with the CBA suggests he may be a lawyer… Again, is this correct?

If SS IS a lawyer from Toronto then…

(insert jokes here)

Note: I am considering adopting his bad attitude just to keep things spicy around here.

25. Mr DeBakey says:

It sounded a lot like guessing, but Stauffer has legitimate connections.
    Legitimate Connections? Yeah, his boss.

***
    Anyone wants to see “Steve Smith”, he’s down on the corner of 8th and Jasper, cadging quarters off of passer-bys and mumbling something about goddamgodoegottahavedoeforgoddamgoddoefuckinbookiegoddahavedoe….

26. bookje says:

bendelson:
    bookje,

Q#1:You seem to suggest SS is from TO… Is this correct?
    Q#2:His fascination with the CBA suggests he may be a lawyer…Again, is this correct?

If SS IS a lawyer from Toronto then…

(insert jokes here)

Note:I am considering adopting his bad attitude just to keep things spicy around here.

I think both of those things are true (though last I remember he was a law student), but now I think I am confusing him and MC79 who I think is a Lawyer from Toronto. I’ll be honest, I don’t really ever pay attention to anything and just make stuff up as I go…

Steve Smith, a Furry (usually a squirrel, but sometimes a furry unicorn dragon), was last seen dressed as a Bunny rabbit wearing that Cher costume. Steve Smith is addicted to butter chicken and is known for Indian food buffet dine and dashes. He likes Velveeta cheese and is a fan of the Edmonton Oilers. At times he literally does smoke the drapes. When doing so, he is prone to yelling “I am a golden god” as loud as he can. His mom usually just locks him in the basement when this happens and he spends a great deal of time commenting on Lowetide’s blog as he recovers from the drape-based smoke toxins.

27. stevezie says:

If it makes anyone feel better, the Fins just shocked the States with a goal with eight seconds left to knock out the mighty Americans.

If you’re feeling too good about that and need to be brought down, it sure looked to me like the goal was Petry’s… well not all his fault, but he allowed it to happen.

A lot of you imply you’ve got a lot of money. Well, for two hundred dollars, I’ll go to Helsinki tomorrow and attend a semi final game and throw the article of your choice on the ice. Or Ask Kevin Lowe any question you want if I see him. Or… send you nude photos of me, a healthy young man. No judgement.

I might go anyway.

28. stevezie says:

bendelson:
    bookje,

Q#1:You seem to suggest SS is from TO… Is this correct?

If SS IS a lawyer from Toronto then…

(insert jokes here)

But then who will be Bendleson? We need more Bendleson!!!

29. striatic says:

the oilers need to draft Nail Yakupov.

we score more goals, we win.

it really is just that simple.

30. bendelson says:

stevezie,

Kinda like more cow bell stevezie?

regwald:
    Woodguy,

Thanks

Sure. Are you on Twiitter? If so follow me and send me your email via DM, or else post it here.

I’m not in the office today, so only looking at the thread sporadically.

striatic:
    the oilers need to draft Nail Yakupov.

we score more goals, we win.

it really is just that simple.

Knocked it out of the park sir.

33. cabbiesmacker says:

Yakupov didn’t just have a knee injury to contend with iirc. Wasn’t he also clocked on the melon and missed time with post concussion symptoms? All I’m saying is I wouldnt worry at all about his production after either injury.

I really don’t understand anyone hand-wringing or overthinking this. If the Oilers don’t draft Yakupov they are retarded. Well ok they are already retarded but in this case they’d be even more retarded.

Oh and…anyone who thinks they should draft any other player BUT Yakupov is also retarded.

34. Clay says:

striatic,

The LA Kings this year were 29th in GF/G, yet they’re making a mockery of the playoffs.

The top 10 teams in terms of GF/G during the regular season are all at home watching the playoffs on tv.

Three of the top 5 teams in terms of GA/G are still playing.

Lots of offense will give you an exciting team with lots of regular season success, but defense will win Cups, especially in today’s game.

ALL that said, if they keep the #1 pick and try to outsmart the rest of the hockey world by drafting Murray or Reinhart or Dumba, it’ll be Steve Kelly x 10.

35. bendelson says:

cabbiesmacker,

Although its difficult to disagree with the sentiment of your post, I don’t know why you had to go and insult every second Albertan. Vocabulary counts. The term is developmentally challenged.

36. regwald says:

Woodguy,

Yes, on twitter. Regwald … thought I was following you, but can’t seem to find your handle. What’s your twitter id ?

37. PDO says:

@WoodGuy55

38. Magnus says:

Maestro Fresh Mess:
    Lowe can’t even assemble a winning team from a talent pool as deep as Canada’s.

Lowe was one of several people in the management group. Secondly, he put together a team that most would agree is on paper better than Slovakia’s (or any of the other teams for that matter). If Brent Sutter can’t get his team to win a game against an inferior opponent, I don’t see how you can attribute blame to Lowe.

39. Jesse says:

stevezie: But then who will be Bendleson? We need more Bendleson!!!

If his reputation is true, then he’s irreplaceable.

I heard that Bendleson once stopped a bus full of children from driving off a cliff with his face, and then proceeded to look more handsome than he already was, following the impact.

40. Braintrust says:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Mr. Murray is the #1 overall choice in this year’s draft. I know people get sucked in with all the hype about Yakupov, but if you look at all elements from an objective viewpoint, you keep coming back to the same conclusion:

^ Thank you!

41. DSF says:

Truth:

I would guess that he runs away with the Calder playing with any combination of RNH, Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, and Gagner.Particularly with Yakupov being another pure scorer put on the PP with the Nuge.

Chris Kreider is 6’3″, 230 pounds, is reputedly the fastest skater in the NHL, has 6 points in 13 NHL playoff games and will be eligible for the Calder Trophy next season.

I would guess Yakupov may have a little competition for rookie of the year.

42. bendelson says:

Jesse,

C’mon now Jesse – That is ridiculous.
    It was a mini-van.

PDO:
    @WoodGuy55

@Woodguy55

No capital G.

Those things count on twitter.

44. bookje says:

Jordan Eberle is such a dedicated Oiler that he did not score the goal to tie and/or win the game against Slovakia because he wants to do everything that he can to keep Sutter’s ugly mug from being behind the Oilers’ bench next year.

45. jimbones100 says:

Am I missing something here? LT suggests trading Eberle in a couple of years and nobody is protesting (OK I know we all enjoy seeing the Smart Ass get out smarted – atta boy Bookie!) But come on trade eberle?

Eberle is Mr. Clutch, future team captain, great in the room, great in the community, great interview, nerves of steel, etc.

I don’t ever, and I mean ever want to hear a Eberle trade is a good idea again. Please.

46. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

LT didn’t say trading Eberle was a good idea. Just a better one than trading Yakupov.

I”ll go one step further and say trading Hall is a better idea than Yak. You’d get more for him and it looks like Yakupov is right in range of Hall. Not a good idea, but better.

Everyone seems to agree trading Hall or Eberle is ridiculous yet for some, trading Yakupov isn’t.

47. FPB94 says:

Tom Renney had been fired by the Oilers.

48. Ribs says:

Tom Renney is a good man….

49. jimbones100 says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

For me Yak has less value because there is not as much evidence in his ability to thrive in high pressure situations.

50. Henry says:

Three veteran coaches have now failed with Tambellini’s teams. A nice record for four years.

51. voxwah says:

Fall for Hall
    Lose for Nuge
    Fail for Nail

Spoils for the Oil

52. Rondo says:

Ribs,

Tom Renney was a very bad man…

53. bookje says:

FPB94:
    Tom Renney had been fired by the Oilers.

I don’t want to hear Brent Sutter’s name mentioned…

54. Truth says:

jimbones100,

Well this comes down to the old example; there is no way the Oilers would be dumb enough to trade Wayne Gretzky

55. Jordan says:

bookje: I don’t want to hear Brent Sutter’s name mentioned…

Hey Bookje – did you know that Brent Sutter, who was also fired / Quit / was let go by the flames, is coaching team Canada at the Mens World Championships? I hear Kevin Lowe thinks quite highly of him – he’s managing team Canada too.

Do you think the Oilers might be interested in hiring him to replace Tom Renney?

————–

I don’t know how to feel about Renney being let go. While I like the possibility of bringing in someone better… I’m not convinced the Oilers will find the right guy, let alone hire him. So while I didn’t think he was great, he also wasn’t terrible. And while the Oil didn’t win as much as I wanted them to, the hockey was also fun to watch more than it has been in a while too.

I’m looking forwards to finding out what the plan is. I really hope it’s our man in OKC.

56. Gret99zky says:

Team Canada loses today. check.
    Tom Renney officially will not be re-signed. check.
    Announce a Tambi extention. stay tuned.
    Hire B.Sutter. stay tuned.

Yuck.

57. Rebilled says:

I think using the words ‘trading’ and ‘Jordan Eberle’ in the same sentence should be stricken from the record.

I don’t like the idea of losing coach Brent Sutter coming back today. The Oilers are the kings of obvious after all. ‘We are going to get Denny Heatleys and Mary Hossas. Does anyone have their fax or mobile numbers?’

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh God, another MacT blog entry coming up. *sigh* I wish we kept Renney just to stop LT’s mancrush posting in its tracks! ;)

Sutter is not the coach for this team. Sutters like size and a heavy, aggressive forecheck. We don’t have the tools for that. Sutters are for the LA Kings and Philadelphia Flyers of the world, not the smurf squad we have.

Obviously we wouldn’t trade Eberle, but a 1-2 punch of Ebs and Yak down the right wing would have left side defenders shitting bricks for the better part of a decade.

59. Wolfpack says:

I have always been a half-hearted supporter of ST, but something doesn’t feel right about how they handled this Renney situation. Did Renney come back with a plan after a few weeks off and ST didn’t like it? They should have made this announcement weeks ago. Tabo probably takes half an hour to step onto an escalator. “I’ll go now.. no, next one… okay, this time… no…”

60. Marc says:

Apropos of Steve Smith’s mysterious disappearance, about a month ago there was a thread where a number of us were analysing the CBA to try and figure out whether or not Justin Schultz would have to re-enter the draft. It might have been one of LT’s Nationradio posts (or a post shortly after a broadcast) because I think the whole discussion was started by someone (speeds?) asking LT to ask one his guests which provision of the CBA kept Schult from being draft eligible.

Can anyone remember which thread that was?

61. asiaoil says:

We are not deep at RW past Hemsky whose health is always a question and has 2 years left max as an Oiler – just enough time to shelter Eberle and Nail a while longer.

Hall-Horcov-Nail
    MPS Nuge Eberle
    Smyth xxx Hemsky
    Harti Belanger Jones

Trade Gagner for a dman – and get a 3rd line center with size, another dman, and a 1B goalie through UFA – done. A pretty relaxing summer for a decent GM but a challenge for Lowe and his sock puppet.

62. nathan says:

‏@mc79hockey “We just wanna prepare us getting to a phase here where we go to a different level of compete.” -Tambo (Yes, really.)

63. Gret99zky says:

Please Draft Nail.

We don’t need another entry on the “laughing stock” side of the ledger.

64. DeadmanWaking says:

I don’t think we lost MPS last season, not one bit. But a clean slate with a new coach will reduce the risk of adding insult to injury. In any case, the Oilers are a tight-lipped organization and one rarely finds out the real reason why these moves are made.

Sometimes organizational turmoil boils down to Ralph Cifaretto wise-cracking that Ginny Sack had a 90-pound mole removed from her ass. But then, Ralphy was the first baby ever baptized using his foreskin trimming as the baptismal basin, so he says things like that. And while we’re talking here so much about just how badly things can go wrong, I was thinking that perhaps there’s no sinking feeling worse than the groggy pain-addled realization–after an elective trouser-snake crewcut–that it really wasn’t wise to keep your internet pharmaceuticals concealed in an aspirin bottle after all and, furthermore, it’s a 10k steeplechase to the nearest stomach pump and you’re fresh out of Veet.

Here’s the thing. I don’t think those ranking lists factor flight risk into the picture. I don’t know what the flight risk is with Yakupov, but winding up with 90% of the BPA could turn into a pill-popping nightmare. How’s he going to respond when the coach decides to perform an Ovechkinesque Iron Giant makeover?

When it comes to the letter A, coaches define “available” differently than scouts. Filly don’t do rebounds.

I’m all for BPA, but as many sensible woman will tell you, it’s wise to check first that the letter A is all there.

65. "Steve Smith" says:

Steve Smith lives!

He will examine Godot’s most recent interpretation later tonight, but his bank account does not feel good about Bookie apparently believing Godot’s interpretation to be correct.

SS returns! Renney goes! I can’t keep up!

67. DeadmanWaking says:

In the aforementioned circumstance: Attention Walmart shoppers, you’re my only hope. As luck would have it, you do have a gallon of brain bleach under the bathroom sink.

(That should link to Google images, if I managed to suture the query string with essentials intact.)

68. speeds says:

jimbones100:
    till_horcoff_is_coach,

He had 4 points and was +3 when CAN was eliminated by RUS in the WJ tourney in January – not too many bigger games or higher pressure situations than that, at the junior level.

69. Gerta Rauss says:

Marc,

not sure if you’re still looking for that…