DRAFT PROFILES: ALEX GALCHENYUK

Alex Galchenyuk is all kinds of interesting. He’s American, born in Milwaukee. He’s considered a top end prospect for the 2012 draft despite playing in only 2 OHL games this past regular season.

SCOUTING REPORT

• Corey Pronman: “Prior to the knee injury, Galchenyuk’s skating showed anywhere from above-average to plus with significant improvement over the last year or two. Galchenyuk’s true strengths lie in his puck skills, vision, and overall possession ability. He’s a very talented playmaker who has a pass-first mentality, thinks the game at a high level, and his decisions require little processing time.”
  • Dan Marr, Central Scouting: “One element for Galchenyuk is the fact he played last year, and going into this season he was already recognized as one of the top prospects. I think most of the teams are pretty comfortable in knowing the type of player they’ll be getting. Obviously you’d like to see him play during his draft year, but the scouts and general managers are going to be more concerned with how the surgery went, what type of surgery it was and how the recovery process is going along”
  • Ross MacLean, ISS: “Galchenyuk is an offensively creative player and is very intelligent around the puck. When he puts the effort in he can really can control the pace of the game and can change the speed of the game. With his offensive side, when you are able to do that kind of stuff with the puck, you don’t get a lot of players with that potential to be dominant.”
  • Grant McCagg, tsn: His Belarusian-born father played pro hockey for 24 years on 18 different teams and in more than a dozen leagues, so Milwaukee-born son Alex has been well travelled. Has missed the entire OHL season with a torn ACL he suffered during an OHL exhibition game in mid-September. Strengths: A big, power-forward type with soft hands who is good along the wall, has soft hands and can shoot the puck. Weaknesses: He has missed his entire draft year with a knee injury, so there has been a decided lack of exposure. Teams may be concerned with how he bounces back from the injury.

DESJDARINS NHLE (per 82gp)

1. Taylor Hall 17-29-46
  2. Nail Yakupov 18-22-40
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 11-27-38
  4. Alex Galchenyuk 11-19-30*

*That’s the 16-year old season for AG, as he was injured this past year. Allowing for typical improvement from 16 to 17, I’d estimate Galchenyuk to be “in the range” of the Nuge. Considering his other assets, that’s a helluva player.

THE GOOD

• He has a very nice scouting report, perhaps matching the Oilers better than Nail’s. A big PF with soft hands and creativity, he’s also an intelligent player. That would allow the Oilers to check off several areas of need.
  • He didn’t feel any pain when he finally returned from his long layoff, and Galchenyuk seemed to find the range a little during the post-season.
  • He is an American, played for them at the Hlinka. So there should be zero concern about losing him to the KHL and the Olympic dream.

THE BAD

• He lost an entire season of development, and I’m not certain scouts can be sure of his complete recovery based on his late season and post season performance. That may hurt his draft number.
  • He’s not a huge player for his PF role. Listed at 6.02, 205 on the OHL site, I’ve read differing stats all over the net. He has time to bulk up, but it would be nice to get an accurate read on the vitals.
  • Galchenyuk was porridge at the Hlinka, and had scouts scratching their heads a little even before the injury.

THE REST

• A big, bold center would be a dynamite addition for the Oilers. They could send him back to junior–it’s unlikely his drafting team will push Galchenyuk due to the lost season–and bring him along at 19 or 20.
  • He’s a Feb ’94–both Yakupov and Murray are fall ’93s–and there’s probably a few more gears of development here.
  • The big issue in my opinion is the inury. Whereas Yakupov and Murray came back and played extended periods after injury, Galchenyuk didn’t get much game action and his performance did not set aside worries.
  • He could slide, but I think anything below 4th overall for this player sets up a “draft steal” scenario. On the other hand, the injury was severe and recovery uncertain. No guts, no glory.

ALEX GALCHNYUK WILL BE SELECTED INSIDE THE TOP 10 OVERALL

28 Responses to "DRAFT PROFILES: ALEX GALCHENYUK"

1. skidplate says:

It would be a fan”freakin’tastic draft if we could snag Murray/Reinhart and Galchenyuk. Too early to come up with ideas on what it would take.

2. skidplate says:

We need to deal with NYI and Toronto. Our 1st, Gagner and a combination of prospects and/or picks. There must be two trades possible in there somewhere.

3. sliderule says:

He skates like Couturier in that he is smooth but doesn’t have a quick first step.If he could improve like Sean did he will be very good.

With the missed year a gamble.

4. spoiler says:

Galchenyuk’s impressive 16yo season came while his winger out-scored him by 20 points. Now I don’t think he’s Laurie Boschman (altho it would be damned funny if the Leafs drafted him and he was), but there’s no contest here. Nor does Yak have “when he puts the effort in” on his scouting report.

Trading down to take Galchenyuk over Yak would be a mistake.

Great story in the Punch Imlach book about that draft. Imlach completely throws his scouts under the bus, saying basically he thought Propp was the straw but his scouts swore it was Boschman. Funny stuff. Remember Derlago? He had a helluva junior career.

6. spoiler says:

Derlago carved out a journeyman career didn’t he? Somewhat derailed by injury? Can’t remember exactly, damned foggy memory.

Do you really think they’ll move Hall to C? I don’t think Hall processes/thinks the game that way. If his Junior coach could already see it and risk moving a player that “toolsy” to wing, I think there’s little chance success can be found by moving him back to C. Unlike Eberle, Hall’s head doesn’t think as fast as he moves. Nor do I think he makes reads at the level of RNH.

Speaking of Nords, Thundering Thoreson absolutely mjolnirred the WHC round robin.

7. franksterra says:

Any trade down has to be a fairly substantial move down the pick list to make it work, ironcially. Trading down into one of the 2-6 spots, say, and getting back another modest asset like a third round pick or two, or a good not great prospect or a good not great roster player doesn’t make sense, given Yak’s head and shoulders above status as the clearcut #1. Trading down further for a really good young, healthy player that fills a need (C or D), plus a chnace to draft Ceci, Reilly, or Trouba for example could potentially make sense. Galchenyuk is almost guaranteed to go in the “doesn’t make sense for us” pick range.

Yeah, Thoresen kicked it at the WHC’s. Bruce and I were talking yesterday and agreed he should come back to the Oilers.

As for Hall, yeah I can see them trying Hall up the middle. Depends on the new coach and there are other ways but I think Hall is dynamic enough to cover that bet.

9. SoxandOil says:

Somehow if we can get a quality young D (not named Schenn) and draft Galy I think that’s a major win for the Oilers. Yak is a better player right now no doubt but improving the D and C situations makes the oilers a better team IMO.

Side note. Has anyone ever used Stub hub for buying tickets? I’m buying baseball tickets and am looking for some feedback good or bad.

10. spoiler says:

Too bad he has another year on his Kontrakt.

Moving Hall to C would be the end of Gagner. And we’d have a helluva hole on LW. I think it’s far more likely the Horc and Belanger get shifted up the line up.

As to the musing about what Renney did wrong, don’t know if this was raised in the ON thread, but I suspect the number of weak starts to games and the number of one goal losses had something to do with it. Tambo blathered something unintelligible about compete level at the presser. I think that was the core of the issue for the Bra¡ntrust.

11. gd says:

SoxandOil,

I’ve bought SF Giants tickets on Stub Hub three times in the last 3 years and had no problems. Highly recommend it.

Galchynyuk at 4 or 5 with either Harmonic or Gardiner coming over is something I could get live with, but as someone said, we’re not seeing any questions of effort on Yak’s resume and the being outscored by 18pts in the 16yr old season has a bit of Crosby-Pouliot written over him. My hope still is CBJ wants to go all in on Yak and Gal and we end up with Johannson and the 5th pick to use on best available D.

12. spoiler says:

Columbus will be patient. The odds of them getting one of Mackinnon, Monahan or Jones next year has got to be close to 100%.

spoiler:

Agreed. They re-signed Craig Patrick today, I’m sure he’s already projecting MacKinnon as the next Crosby.

14. TheOtherJohn says:

Spoiler

Think we have to surround word braintrust in quotations (“braintrust”) as a defined term when referring to Oiler management and match it with Steve Smith oft used ….don’t think ” braintrust” means what you think it means

Wonder if new owner of Yotes could be cornered by Katz and convinced he needs 1st overall draft pickup help sell tixs in desert and all we want in return is OEL. Would not make for another flashy Entry draft but what a way to fill in a gaping hole on our roster. Only downside he’d have be paid earlier like Hall and Eberle

15. Ryan says:

I still don’t mind the idea of trying Hall at centre. However, our depth at LW would fall in to the abyss if he did. That and Gagner really doesn’t look good on the wing.

Assuming we draft Nail and sign Smyth, our depth chart would then be:

Rw: Eberle/Yakupov/ Hemsky/Jones
    C: Nuge/Hall//Gagner/HorcoffBelanger
    LW: Smyth/Hartikinen/Eager

With sideburns somewhere in there. I guess Horcoff or Belanger could be moved to the wing, but it wouldn’t add much quality.

For fun only… Hmm

Horcoff – Nuge – Hemsky
    Hartikinen – Hall – Eberle
    Smyth – Gagner – Yakupov
    Eager – Belanger – Jones

I put Hall with Eberle since Hall and Hemsky don’t seem to have great chemistry and if anyone can figure out the enigmatic czech, Nuge would have the best chance.

Gagner would be in heaven if he got to play with a trigger man like Yakupov.

The top two lines would be suspect at LW now, but they might be strong enough on the other side to contend.

Obvious you could try sideburns in there too.

Maybe not as crazy as I thought, but I would pull my hair out watching Horcoff whiff on setups from Niuge.

16. melancholyculkin says:

I have to say I’m not really seeing where the Crosby comparisons are coming from in regards to MacKinnon. 1.34 PPG is nothing to sneeze at, but Crosby was at 2.28 at the same age. That’s quite the gap.

17. gd says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Spoiler

Think we have to surroundword braintrust in quotations (“braintrust”) as a defined term when referring to Oiler management and match it with Steve Smith oft used ….don’t think ” braintrust” means what you think it means

Wonder if new owner of Yotes could be cornered by Katzand convinced he needs 1st overall draft pickup help sell tixs in desert and all we want in return is OEL. Would not make for another flashy Entry draft but what a way to fill in a gaping hole on our roster. Only downside he’d have be paid earlier like Hall and Eberle

I’m thinking the OEL trade for Yak makes a ton of sense for both teams. All of Phx top prospects are D and the only legit top 6 forward they have under 30 is Hanzal, plus OEL has played pretty bad since the Jamieson deal has been announced so we might be able to buy slightly low for him. I think OEL is the surest bet of all under 25 dmen, except maybe Pietrangelo, so if the Oil can make this happen I think it’s a no-brainier. Paying OEL earlier is fine, our core will be near the best in the league for the rest of the decade, so not as much need for cap space for FA.

18. spoiler says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Spoiler

I considered “” and went with ¡ instead. Don’t worry, we’re on the same page (well same bookshelf at least).

19. Ryan says:

gd,

Well ya… That makes more sense to me than using the pick on Murray… Phoenix could use a player with some swagger like Yakupov to put bums is seats.

20. spoiler says:

Shane Doan’s nose looks like Brokeback Mountain. Yikes. More swerves in that septum than the road to Miette.

21. Lois Lowe says:

spoiler More swerves in that septum than the road to Miette.

Jasper references make me happy.

22. SoxandOil says:

gd,

Thanks. I still prefer buying directly from team/ticketmaster but Stub Hub seems to be a safe option now too.

On Galchenyuk, as much as i’ve seen (limited) and read, he reminds me of a bigger and maybe faster Sam Gagner. Great year playing with a dynamic winger. If he does pull a oildrop over his head hopefully he gets another year in Sarnia to develop on his own.

23. rickithebear says:

DESJDARINS NHLE (per 82gp)
    Taylor Hall 17-29-46
    Nail Yakupov 18-22-40 rank #1
    Thomas Hertl 19-20-39 rank #20
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 11-27-38
    Grigorenko 16-18-34 rank #
    Alex Galchenyuk 11-19-30*

OEL?

I thought we were trading Gagner+ for Seabrook!

24. spoiler says:

Lois Lowe: Jasper references make me happy.

Don’t be goin’ pissing off the proud people of Pocahontas now.
    ;o)

25. Maverick says:

I still hope we draft Yakupov 1st overall. However, if the can get a second asset and draft Galchenyuk I would not be overly disappointed. He will probably be gone by the 5th pick. Bigger 2nd line centre with 1st line centre potential, was dominating the US high school before going to Sarnia. He will be better than Boschmann, how about a poor man’s Toews? or Marian Hossa? He is better than Gagner, with size and speed.

Take a look at the following links and see what others were saying about Galchenyuk before his injury.

26. spoiler says:

May Red Line Report. I apologize if that only works on mobile.

A snipparito:

And really, it’s a one-man top tier —Nail Yakupov —followed by a second tier of seven guys who could be placed in any order and we’d be fine with it. It really just comes down to the particular needs of the teams drafting in those positions…

…After that, [Forsberg @ 2] we have the big three on defense from out west: Matt Dumba, Ryan Murray and Morgan Rielly. We believe Rielly is the most purely skilled of the three with the highest upside, but it would take courage for any general manager/chief scout combo to take him in the top three…

I think his estimation of Rielly is dead on. He’s just the kind of defenseman the Oilers need too. We have nothing like him in the system. But the risk factor when there’s a virtual no-risk option in Yakupov sitting right there makes no sense.

27. Ryan says:

spoiler,

Rlr lists Yakupov as 6’0″ and 190?

28. russ99 says:

I’ve liked Galchenyuk since he put up crazy numbers with his U16 level club team here in Chi-town. But there’s such a risk with his injury.

For the record, that’s 44 – 43 – 87 in 38 games.

Speaking of Thomas Hertl, I’d love to see the Oilers trade up into the late 1st and grab him. Heck of a player. I doubt he’s still on the board at #32.