EXPECT THE IMPOSSIBLE?

This is kind of a strange spring in the world of Oiler. There’s something amiss and it’s probably nothing, but there are little bits of information that don’t really come together in a reasonable fashion.

Steve Tambellini and Tom Renney don’t have contracts, and I believe Kevin Lowe’s deal is also up this summer. Mr. Katz hasn’t made an appearance since the twelfth of never and the business of running the Edmonton Oilers is undercover.

Deep undercover.

Maybe that’s why this Cam Tait article strikes me as something more than a casual, slice of life update about a past hero. Among the many interesting items (Tait’s a helluva writer) is this:

• “It seems like it was just yesterday when we were all working together with the Oilers,” MacTavish says. “I love the organization, I love the city and I love the people. I played there for 10 years, and coached for 10 years,” he says.So would he consider coming back to the Oilers in some capacity? “Sometimes it’s valuable to get a perspective on one organization by working with another. I still have a great degree of allegiance to the Oilers. There’s no question about that.”

Look, it’s nothing. Even if he did come back, in what capacity would it be?

STOP IT!

Not. going. to. happen.

And yet……..

67 Responses to "EXPECT THE IMPOSSIBLE?"

1. Gret99zky says:

And so it begins….

As long as it remains “impossible” and not “unexpected”, I’m cool.

Also, we need Penner, Stoll, Greene, Pisani, Peterson, Reasoner, Rollie, and Reddox.

Trust the Oilers to replace a burned out bulb with a bulb that burned out 3 years ago. Good Grief.

2. bookje says:

Normally, I like to say things like “I think we as fans over-think things a little/act like gossiping old ladies/etc” However, its May and nobody has a contract.

Here are my thoughts if I am Katz.

Craig MacTavish told me the truth about the team (that it sucked, was uncoachable, and could not win), Kevin Lowe told me that we just needed one more piece. I fired MacTavish.

Steve Tambellini told me that we needed a rebuild, Kevin Lowe embarrassed me by convincing me to fly my jet to Kelowna to go whale hunting (this is speculation about what happened).

Pat Quinn and Tom Renney have not done as well as Craig MacTavish did when trying to compete.

Tom Renney is a poor man’s Craig Mactavish and I have more than a billion dollars.

So with all of that, here is my call.

Lowe – President
    Tambellini – GM
    MacTavish – Coach/GM in waiting

I’m can’t hear you, I’m too busy lighting candles in church!!! Bring on the rapture! I got my passport, birth certificate and co-op number!

4. DSF says:

And, out here on the Grassy Knoll ®, Mike Gillis met today with the Aquillini family to discuss the future of the Canucks.

The media were expecting some word on whether or not Gillis and/or Vigneault have had their contracts extended but Gillis says he won’t be addressing those issues in public for at least another week.

One wonders if the Habs have approached the Canucks about Vigneault or whether the Acquilini’s want Gillis to replace his head coach and Gillis is balking.

I only bring this up since McTavish is currently employed by the Canucks and would seem to be next in line if Vigneault were to be punted.

However, based on MacT’s comments, his NHL loyalty is to the Oilers and I would think Gillis would know about those comments.

Loose the hounds!

5. spoiler says:

Last appearance by Katz I can think of was when he went on a little junket to the Big Apple with that balding comedian Stevie Mandel.

6. Gret99zky says:

bookje,

Why keep Lowe after the proven poor decisions?

7. Crooked says:

I’ve always been a MacT fan. I have no doubts he’ll get an NHL head coaching position in the near future, be it in Edmonton or elsewhere. Wherever he goes, he’ll find success.

8. spoiler says:

Dale Hunter has redefined what it means to be a Cap in just two short months.

9. Southern Oil says:

To heck with MacT coming back as coach.
    - punt Tambi upstairs to re-arrange sofa cushions
    - bring in MacT to be GM – I think he might be able to get work really well with Lowe and stand up to him when needed
    - bring up Nelson to coach.

Southern Oil:
    To heck with MacT coming back as coach.
    - punt Tambi upstairs to re-arrange sofa cushions
    - bring up Nelson to coach.

I was talking to WG the other day and he said something similar. Talked about MacT spending time away and completing his education with an eye to moving up the ladder.

Makes a lot of sense.

11. slopitch says:

Ok so draft Yakapov. Sign Justin Schultz. Bring back MacT. I can live with that.

Is it October yet?

12. spoiler says:

Fuck Parros. Get some Prust crust.

13. Gret99zky says:

spoiler:
    Dale Hunter has redefined what it means to be a Cap in just two short months.

Yup. Notice how they didn’t bring back Bruce Cassidy or Glen Hanlon?

It’s a neat thing moving forward instead of backward.

14. spoiler says:

Gret99zky: Yup.Notice how they didn’t bring back Bruce Cassidy or Glen Hanlon?

It’s a neat thing moving forward instead of backward.

I’m not so sure trapping qualifies as “moving forward”. But their commitment to hitting, blocking shots etc have taken a step forward.

15. jake70 says:

Lander with a goal 1 minute into the game…1-0 OKC.

16. BlacqueJacque says:

Enough with the MacT boosting already. I’m already getting recurring nightmares of Toby Peterson back in Oilers silks. So many better options out there, starting with Dave Tippett and ending with Sutter.

17. doritogrande says:

I like the GM train of thought. Maybe having to coach with an uneven hand (and no wunderkid trump cards) taught him about roster balance.

You’d have to think he’d want Huddy back. He’s been magnificent in Winnipeg, what with actually teaching Dustin Alphabet how to play defence.

18. cabbiesmacker says:

Would prefer NO MacT at all because it’s just so f’ing EDOMONTON OILERS, but if he has to come back make it in a non-coaching role. He had his stint. Nothing to see here folks. Move along now.

There’s better options.

19. bookje says:

Gret99zky,

Two reasons

1. Katz is a fan and a friend of Lowe and MacT
    2. Lowe was a good GM pre lockout and a good hockey mind. Having him around as a voice in the room is not a bad thing. Also, It was under Lowe that the team turned around attendence (largely prior to the economic turn around). He may be a good contributor in a management team.

doritogrande:

You’d have to think he’s want Huddy back. He’s been magnificent in Winnipeg, what with actually teaching Dustin Alphabet how to play defence.

Huddy will have Smid back at left wing in no time. Huddy developed Greene so slowly that Lowe and MacT decided to trade him. Huddy left Hejda sitting in the pressbox for half-a-season. Huddy and MacT also sent Pitkanen packing.

Seeing the progress that Smid and Petry have made under Steve Smith, do you really want a guy who is pretty good with vets but has mostly been a failure at development, when the Oilers are about to be flooded with defensive prospects to develop.

Huddy, like MacT and Lowe, were pretty good before 2006 and pretty horrific after.

21. bookje says:

In other words Lowe made mistakes but may actually be valuable.

22. thurmtim says:

I have always been a fan of Mact the person. He has intelligence, integrity and a passion for what he does. Add to that the bwicked sense of humor, evidenced by the tongueless Harvey the Hound incident and his excellent pressers. He was dealt a VERY short hand by Lowe before he left and I think very highly of him as a coach. He was alweys trying to find ways to get the most out the least, not dissililar to what Nashville has done for years. I can see him being a VERY successful rehire as Head Coach, given a good support ing staff, but I think his real genius will come when he becomes a GM. I believe, given the chance to run the show, he would be an outstanding GM.

Say what you will about the shortcomings of other members of the Oilers org, MacT will not suffer fools gladly and will always lead a spirited debate to find the answers in a proactive and timely fashion.

Just my ywo cents worth…

23. jake70 says:

MacT as GM is intriguing…..pretty cerebral kinda guy. He seems like someone who could easily form relationships with other GMs around the league.

Just watching the OKC game online (NOT NHL gamecenter quality but decent enough). They’ve had Pitlick on the point/left half-wall in their 2 pp so far…..he looks pretty good there, really good movement, not static…..real nice feed to MPS on the R side, rang it off the post.

24. bookje says:

I was a pretty vocal critic of MacT and wanted him gone. However, in a strange turn of events, pat Quinn convinced me that I was wrong.

25. thurmtim says:

Hey everyone… please forvgive my selictively dyslexic typing skills today. Pretty bad showing for someone who used to be a professional writer.

It’s okay, we’ll pick away at you until you cruy.

27. Southern Oil says:

I have been working under the impression for a while that Tom not being resigned already was basically his pink slip. ‘Go take a vacation and then will talk’ sounds like GM BS to me. He made some strange decisions but I think most can agree that he didn’t have a lot of horses to make this thing work.

But what does that say about Tambi? I thought he would have signed already especially after all the rumors floated towards the end of the season. Plus sending him to the draft lottery.

I would have no problem with a new coach or bring back Tom for another year. However I would really prefer to have a new GM. Somehow I just have the idea that our current management team are basically the Three Stooges.

MacT strikes me as someone that wouldn’t tell the press “Wow, we’ve got a lot of defensemen!” (to paraphrase). I think he would also understand more about balance than KLowe & Tambi have over the past few years.

28. rich says:

Just like Bookie, I was one of those who was highly critical of MacT during his final season. Up until then, I thought he’d been doing a very good job given the rosters he’d been handed.

In hindsight, it’s very plain that Lowe (and possibly Katz?) put enormous pressure on him to win despite having provided him with a roster with big holes – holes that he in fact could see and warned everyone about (no one to take a face, handle the toughs). We saw a lot strange decisions that spring (Smid at forward?!).

And upon his departure, we see in the rear view mirror he was not all that bad. In fact, compared to Quinn and Renney I’d say he’s a very good coach.

I haven’t decided however if that’s more an indictment of Quinn/Renney or not. But Bookje says it very well. MacT spoke the truth about the roster, got canned for not producing and two lesser strategists have come in with even worse results. And while we have some very talented kids thanks to having been so bad the last few years, the roster still has major issues (on D, in goal and tough minutes forwards).

We could do a lot worse bringing MacT back as GM, bring Nelson up, kick Tambi to the curb along w/Renney and making KLowe an assistant business affairs guy to go on the road w/LaForge.

29. oilersfan says:

I just saw Pisani at my daughter’s soccer game. I’ll ask him if he is on Lowetide’s imaginary Mactavish coaching staff.

30. spoiler says:

thurmtim:

It’s okay, after the Bank of Canada made the penny worthless, they cancelled it. “Ywo cents” works for me.

31. bookje says:

I do miss Pat Quinn’s Onion – that was one of the best LT site meme’s, right up there with Hockey Jesus.

32. Gret99zky says:

Excellent article by Tait.

He’s got a winner’s attitude. He was a guy who would pretty selflessly do whatever it would take for the team to have success.–Kevin Lowe.

Of all the guys we played with, Mac was always the organizer … and if you had a problem or needed anything, that’s the guy you could trust with your life.–Craig Simpson.

He was a young man who made a tragic mistake and was extremely sorry for it. I regard him very highly.–Hazel Foote (mother of the late Kim Radley, 1984)

His illness has not stopped him from doing what he wants to accomplish with his life. It has made him even stronger.–Glen Sather

I hate to dump on MacT because he is such a likeable guy. His story and interviews make great copy for the MSM and the bloggers. Remember that drink from the firehose Burke quote? Or the puck looked foreign to us quote? Pure Gold. Smart, knowledgable, funny.

However, I view this type of reconciliation much like a guy going back to an ex-girlfriend. It’s been a few years. Everyone wants it to work this time. But despite good intentions they just slip back into the same behaviours and decisions that soured the relationship in the first place. And worst of all, every friend the couple has knew it was going to end this way. Again.

33. bookje says:

Gret99zky,

Yes, but 90% of the girlfriend has been replaced with a good deal of her being younger and of better quality.

34. Gret99zky says:

I got my passport, birth certificate and co-op number!

Gotcha LT. There are no co-ops in Edmonton. Unless you want a cab. Are you shopping in Calgary? Red Deer? Chicago? Is MacT your “co op”?

35. Gret99zky says:

bookje:
    Gret99zky,

Yes, but 90% of the girlfriend has been replaced witha good deal of her being younger and of better quality.

Yes, but she is still going to accuse you, 90% of the time, that you like your friends better than you like her. :)

I was tired of MacT as well by the end of his time.

Didn’t take long to miss him though.

Once he left I finally understood how much he wrung out of shitty rosters.

Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you got till its gone.

They paved the Paradise Casino and put up a hockey rink.

Dooo da da da da.

Also,

MacT comes in as assistant GM. v4.0 shows an inordinate amount of flop sweat when he introduces he new “assistant” at the presser.

Steve Tambellini, General Manger of Recommendations.

37. bookje says:

WG – I am pretty sure that we will not miss the Casino.

Is Head Coach/Assistant GM a thing, because that’s my new prediction.

Assistant GM (Mascot Tongue Dismemberment)

38. bookje says:

Gret99zky: Gotcha LT.There are no co-ops in Edmonton.Unless you want a cab.Are you shopping in Calgary?Red Deer?Chicago?Is MacT your “co op”?

There are co-ops in surrounding communities and LT may still have his co-op number as there used to be lot’s of Co-ops in Edmonton. I still use my parent’s Co-op number, it is only 3 digits long – got in on the ground floor I guess.

When we moved to SK when I was about 11, we got a co-op number.

40. thurmtim says:

To this day, MacT detonguing Harvey the Yapping Hound and tucking the liberated appendage in his breast pocket was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a hockey game. Ever.

I liked the press conference where some player bit another one in a game that didn’t involve the Oilers. “When was it, the third period? A guy gets hungry later in the game.”

42. Gret99zky says:

Woodguy:
    I was tired of MacT as well by the end of his time.

Didn’t take long to miss him though.

Once he left I finally understood how much he wrung out of shitty rosters.

Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you got till its gone.

They paved the Paradise Casino and put up a hockey rink.

Dooo da da da da.

Also,

MacT comes in as assistant GM.v4.0 shows an inordinate amount of flop sweat when he introduces he new “assistant” at the presser.

Steve Tambellini, General Manger of Recommendations.

You don’t know what you got till it’s gone.

See here’s the difference right there. You think Joni Mitchell (1970) and I think Cinderella (1988).

The message is the same and I’ve heard both versions the same amount of times, despite my age. (My Dad was in radio, had to know.)

“They took all the trees. And put them in a tree museum. Then they charged the people. A dollar and a half just to see ‘em.”–Joni Mitchell

“I can’t tell ya baby what went wrong. I can’t make you feel what you felt so long ago.”–Cinderella.

You don’t know what you got but it makes you feel sad and depressed hearing either tune. You want to go back and change things. Nobody should think like this, let alone live it.

I guess what I’m saying is I’d rather see a new face and hear a new voice than Nickelback singing Lean On Me.

43. bookje says:

Anybody with a Co-op number is a Communist and should NEVER be drafted first overall!

44. mattwatt says:

Off topic from this MacT talk,

When does one start believing that Holtby is something special? I know he has yet to do it for a full season, and his season in the AHL leaves one yearning for a bit more, but man, the kid can play.

His only peer right now has to be Tommy. Or Mike Smith.

45. spoiler says:

Speaking of memes…

LT posted his semi-annual Godfather metaphor at ON over the weekend.

Here are my thoughts on what Michael Corleone would do if he was Godfather of the Non-Olive Oilers:

He starts things off by taking Fredollini for a nice little boat ride on Pigeon Lake one beautiful misty morning and shoots him dead. Slips the body overboard. Rick Olczyk, who never saw it coming, is framed for the murder.

He then uses incriminating photos, scandalous stories, and terrifying tax evasion evidence to force Bowman out of retirement and become his consigliore slash GM.

Bowman steals Quenneville from the Chicago Family.

Bowman opens with trading Gagner, Marincin and the 2013 2nd for the dissatisfied J. Staal.
    Trades Yakupov to Coyotes for OEL.
    Trades Paajarvi, Peckham and our 3rd to Philly as they dump salary to chase Suter and Bowman thieves JVR in return.
    Trades Khabby and the other 3rd to Jets for their 4th.
    Drafts Samuelsson and in the 7th Round, Schultz, having actually read the CBA. Pre-empts everybody. NHL is forced to okay it.
    Signs Schultz, Smytty, Vokoun
    It’s Bowman.

HALL STAA HEMS
    VANR NUGE EBER
    SMYT HORC JONE
    EAGE BELA HART
    PETR

EKMA PETR
    SMID SCHU
    WHIT SCHU
    SUTT
    POTT

VOKO
    DUBN

Quenneville runs the HASH line with EP against the toughs.
    Runs the VINE line with WS against buttersofts.
    Runs the SHY line with SS against the mediums. Should be enough defense there for the Yak to cheat to the downslope. Can swap a RWer or Belanger in when the situation calls for it.

Bowman, tired after all this work, hires MacT as assistant GM and teaches him everything he knows. Satisfied, Michael Corleone allows Bowman to retire in peace as Special Consultant to MacT. Cue the Nina Rota song.

46. Gret99zky says:

mattwatt:
    Off topic from this MacT talk,

His only peer right now has to be Tommy. Or Mike Smith.

His shove-n-pose on Peverley in the Boston Series won me over forever. Epic Classic.

47. CM says:

2 Comments just to try and put things in perspective.

I liked MacT when he was here. I’m glad he left when he did. I don’t think Mac could have kept this team out of the lottery with Khabby between the pipes.

Second comment is in regards to Ryan Murray. It seems to me a good comp for him would be Brad Stuart? Drafted high. Good Player. Doesn’t drive the bus.

48. spoiler says:

Sorry that was a bit of a mix between two versions. Tried to edit it, but pages load too slowly for me to get it in time. Ignore anything to do with the Yak.

49. jake70 says:

So OKC scores in OT, only to be not counted b/c of interference penalty.

50. Gret99zky says:

OT-Bettman manages to keep our new head coach Dave Tippet busy for the time being by selling the team for peanuts and beer. Peanuts came in around $4.00. Beer = ~$200 Million. Go figure.

Says the Coyotes will remain in the desert and the Oilers will wander it. More to come.

51. jake70 says:

Vandevelde wins it in OT. Woohoo.

52. gogliano says:

MacT has clearly lost the room and ruined Omark’s offense. He needs to go.

CM:
    2 Comments just to try and put things in perspective.

I

Murray might not drive the bus, but he will be able to hit the buses with quit outlet passes on the tape in stride. The buses will be much more effective if they don’t have to start from a standstill all the time.

54. art vandelay says:

Jan Hejda would look good in the top pair.
    His zone starts against toughs in the RelCorsi 5×5 put him among the Top 180 Dmen in the NHL.
    The Oilers could use that kind of veteran savvy.
    1-9-9-0.

55. Gerta Rauss says:

I would have given a hundred dollars to have Mike Smith score the empty netter there. Nice win for the Phoenix franchise and their fans.

And another disappointing season in Nashville. That’s a shame:)

56. spoiler says:

Phoenix rising. Suter likely gone now, although that was a much better Nashville team this playoffs. If they had just one high end offensive talent…

57. slopitch says:

So can the difference btw the quality of Oilers and Coyotes mgmt be summarized simply by comparing the value of Khaby’s contract with Mike Smiths? Somehow the Oilers are paying Khabby to play net still. In the NHL,

58. Magnus says:

Yet another non-story to add to the pile. I’m sure you could also rearrange the letters of the Bible in some way to prophecize the return of MacT, but would it mean anything? No.
    What would really be the point of bringing back MacTavish? For every fan of his there were many more who learned to hate his guts by the end of his time here. Why would we want a guy who played favourites with his players as a coach to be the General Manager? Or someone who had such flawed player assessments? Why not bring back George Burnett to coach the team while we’re at it?
    Toby Petersen and Marty Reasoner are still in the NHL. Might as well start preparing for a 1st overall pick for Petersen trade.

MacT on Toby Petersen: “I don’t know if there’s anybody I feel more comfortable with having the puck in open ice than Toby right now. You just know he’s going to make the right play. His decision-making has been impeccable.”

MacT on Marty Reasoner: “If Marty had more speed, he’d be Joe Sakic.”

Yeah, I totally want this guy running the team.

59. Maverick says:

I was never a big MacT fan but I agree with WC didn’t realize until after he left what we had. I do miss KLowe or MacT interacting with the Media, very well spoken, decisive. Unfortunately Tambellini sounds like a bumbling fool most times. If MacT comes back as assistant to the GM or assistant to the VP of Hockey Operations I could live with that.

60. DeadmanWaking says:

A couple of months ago I found an interesting video which I think was Cameron Chell interviewing Calgary entrepreneur Grant Kelba. Don’t think I posted it here at the time. Now the topic has come around, the video seems to have vanished. Pity. One or two good tidbits about Harvey toward the end.

I was always a MacT fan. He was given an impossible task in his final year, and left no vat of batshit unturned in pursuit of success. I would enjoy seeing what he can do coaching the kind of talent he used to play with. But where would you put Harvey’s tongue dressed in a black turtleneck? It would never work.

61. stevezie says:

spoiler,

I think some of those trades are optimistic, but I like them.

62. bookje says:

Magnus:
    Yet another non-story to add to the pile. I’m sure you could also rearrange the letters of the Bible in some way toprophecize the return of MacT, but would it mean anything? No.

MacT on MartyReasoner: “If Marty had more speed, he’d be Joe Sakic.”

Yeah, I totally want this guy running the team.

I now suspect that Reasoner and Peterson may have well been the best options of a very sorry lot of players.

Magnus:

MacT on MartyReasoner: “If Marty had more speed, he’d be Joe Sakic.”

Yeah, I totally want this guy running the team.

Magnus: If you don’t enjoy the free content this blog provides, you don’t have to read it. I certainly understand your frustration with the lack of news, but we discuss what is available to us. At this time of year, that’s the draft. some interesting tidbits and Neil Young.

But this is what the blog is about. If you don’t like it, move along. Cool?

64. russ99 says:

I’d hope at some point Katz moves past his “Boys on the Bus” mentality when it comes to impact hires, and goes after the best available managers for his hockey team.

But if it puts Mr. Dithers on the sidelines and MacT can be the decisive person we need in the GM role, I’d stomach it.

65. stevezie says:

I think this puts me in the minority of fans, but i like the sense of continuity in the team. I like Old Oilers returning- it makes it seam like The Oilers is a real entity with a connection to the city, not just what we’re calling this year’s collection of randoms.

That said, I think it’s hilarious that being a good athlete could be considered a qualification for running a multi-million dollar business. I know MacT has an MBA, that’s awesome. They don’t all.

66. Magnus says:

bookje: The thing is, those guys are still in the NHL, many of the players that fans wanted to take their place on the roster are no longer in the NHL (MacT wrecked them).

I would disagree. Case in point Reasoner vs. Kyle Brodziak. MacT loved Reasoner and I think most would agree that he would play him in roles Reasoner wasn’t effective at or suited for. At the same time MacT for whatever reason was not a fan of Brodziak. He was a healthy scratch and comments were made in the media suggesting he wasn’t physical enough or working hard enough. In fact, MacT’s opinions and use of Brodziak probably played a large role on why he was shipped out.

67. gcw_rocks says:

Nice to see the lack of imagination wagon is fully loaded up with mactavish fans. Yep, we had 10 years of mediocrity with this coach puncuated only by one fluke run to the finals and the media and bloggers keep pumping his tires. Wonderbar! His coaching record is .537 and even Brent Sutter has a .584 winning percentage, but we should bring Mactavish back. Not Sutter who has a better track record. Not Vineault if he gets cut loose. Not an up and comer like Jon Cooper (he of the 28 game wining streak). No, let’s bring back Mactavish to coach.

Or maybe as GM? Sure, he has never been a GM. Never made a trade in his life. A complete wild card in the position. Yep, that’s what we need. We will all sleep much easier then. he was a “boy on the bus’ afterall.

Sheesh. No wonder this organization has floundered for 20 years.