Grins Like a Baby, Fights Like a Gator

I want to keep track of this spring’s trade rumors, but only the ones that appear in credible sources. If you see one, please pass it along.

• Mike Boone, Montreal Gazette: Rumours have the Leafs pursuing Edmonton’s pick. The Leafs would send Luke Schenn and their No. 5 pick to the Oilers and then use the No. 1 pick to draft Yakupov … or maybe Galchenyuk.

Who knows if this is really true or just an Al Gore special, but the Gazette is credible.  A couple of good articles:

I don’t think this is a good idea. The 5th overall pick will obviously have less value than #1 overall and Schenn is being paid like a shutdown defenseman without being one (at least yet). I was a fan of the man leaving the draft but the bottom line is his value (based on established level of ability and cap) is not close to good enough to consider a deal that involves a flip of 1 and 5.

Luke Schenn is a young man with a lot of defensive potential, but the Oilers should look elsewhere for a more complete–and more established–defenseman.

Knowing Burke, he’ll even find them one if he wants that #1 pick badly enough, and Yakupov is the best talent available in the draft.

47 Responses to "Grins Like a Baby, Fights Like a Gator"

1. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

This is the one trade rumour that worries me the most, and also the one rumour that just won’t seem to go away. For me, the Leafs would have to give up a lot more than Schenn to swap picks. They have some nice d-men, but none that would make me go “wow, I want to give up a franchise winger for that”. The Oil would likely still get a very good player (though not as “impact”) at number 5, so I’m not opposed as such to trading down, but it would take something a lot better than Schenn. Or Schenn plus another piece, at least.

I don’t dislike Schenn, but he has not been good the last couple of years. Stauffer keeps defending him saying he only had one less even strength point than Phaneuf, but I can’t help but think that’s more of a statement against Phaneuf than it is for Schenn.

We would essentially be trading a [probable] franchise winger for a [at-the-moment] third-pairing D-man and a 5th overall “we may get a decent player in a couple of years out of this” draft pick. I would rather the Oilers just take Murray 1st OV.

2. stevezie says:

How’s Schenn doing at the Worlds?

3. PhrankLee says:

I just hope KL being a part of the mix has already soured the milk for Burke. This team is so desperate and used to getting second rate returns on trades that they can’t set their sites higher than Luke Schenn? Just how inept does this management group WANT to appear? Is this a half-decade-long rope-a-dope? Meaningful games in March.
    ಠ_ಠ
    My arse.

4. misfit says:

To be honest, the only reason this rumour keeps coming up and won’t go away has a lot more to do with the team involved than anything to do with the likelyhood of it happening.

Burke didn’t get Tavares at the draft (nor did he get Schenn at the #7 pick like so many believed would happen if the Tavared trade didn’t happen), he didn’t get Nash this year, and he didn’t get Richards in the offseason. The way each of those potential moves were talked about, you’d think that Toronto was on the verge of getting all 3, or at the very least the frontrunner. No doubt Burke tried, but how close is anyone’s guess, and certainly the media chatter isn’t any indication.

As for Schenn, I’d love to aquire him. I agree that he’s currently not the player he’s being paid to be, but I also don’t think he’s very far away either. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he started living up to his draft position and contract this coming season. Trading down from #1 to #5 to do it, however…not a chance.

5. Jordan says:

stevezie:
    How’s Schenn doing at the Worlds?

Canada’s stats through 4 games

He’s keeping his head above water playing on the 3rd pairing.

Considering his qual-team though… I’d say he’s treading water. Might turn out to be another Smid, but there’s not guarantee.

Wouldn’t mind trading down if the plan was to take a forward. Top 5 forwards seem to be Yak, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Grigerenko, and Teräväinen. Of those players, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, and Grigerenko seem to bring what the Oilers forwards are lacking most – a combination of size and skill. I would be fine with that move if they could take one of these three players (presuming that the percieved attitude and effort questions are in fact non-factors).

Trading down to take one of any of the Defensemen though… that rubs me the wrong way. Even if all of them turn out, its too risky to spend a top 5 pick on a D-man. Especially considering the Oilers’ recent draft history with D-men in the first round, compared to those drafted outside of it.

6. Cactus says:

misfit:

Burke didn’t get Tavares at the draft (nor did he get Schenn at the #7 pick like so many believed would happen if the Tavared trade didn’t happen), he didn’t get Nash this year, and he didn’t get Richards in the offseason.The way each of those potential moves were talked about, you’d think that Toronto was on the verge of getting all 3, or at the very least the frontrunner.No doubt Burke tried, but how close is anyone’s guess, and certainly the media chatter isn’t any indication.

As for Schenn, I’d love to aquire him.I agree that he’s currently not the player he’s being paid to be, but I also don’t think he’s very far away either.In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he started living up to his draft position and contract this coming season.Trading down from #1 to #5 to do it, however…not a chance.

Misfit wins the Occam’s Razor Award for this thread. However, crazy Oilers fans are getting, dial up the volume, subtract some intelligence and perspective and you’ll have the situation in Toronto. They’re looking for any reason to get excited about a team that’s one of the biggest failures in pro sports, and a trade for the #1 pick would qualify.

Don’t get me wrong – I think this deal may have been offered – and probably switfly rejected – but it’s sticking around mostly because of the misguided hopes and dreams of millions of Leafs fans.

7. Rondo says:

Trade Edmonton’s #1 pick for OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON.

That would be nice, however phoenix would not do it.

8. slopitch says:

I actually like Schenn. Think he is a buy low. But I’m not moving Yakapov to do so.

I’d do:
    – OEL
    – Landeskog
    – Hamilton+
    – Subban + 3rd
    – Coutourier

Draft Yakapov. Sign Schultz and Smyth. Upgrade Khabby.

9. Maverick says:

My worry is the Oilers will trade down, get a defenseman through trade and then draft a defenseman.

This really doesn’t help the full picture depth issue on the roster. Real NHL defenseman needed, scoring depth behind Hall, Eberle and Hopkins. Best case scenario is to not move out of the top 3 maybe add a second round pick, Draft either Yakupov, Galchenyuk and trade current players on the roster with similar skills and size in a package deal to get a NHL current defenseman. Important to add future scoring depth as behind the big 3, who else is young and can score?

I’m not going to be contrarian on this one.

NO to a #1 tradedown for Schenn and #5. Even if Schenn didn’t have that albatross contract, it would be no. His contract makes it a no-brainer. NO.

Keep the #1 and you can probably get Garrisson for $500K more per season for the same 4 years, remaining on Schenn’s contract.

i.e. For $500K more per season for 4 years, one can have the #1 and Jason Garrison instead of the #5 and Luke Schenn.

11. gd says:

If Yak ends up in TO I might have to move to a new country. Mr. Smartest Man in the Room has all of two assets worth anything in the trade market; Gardiner (who doesn’t seem to be dominating in the AHL and whose greatest asset might be that he is a buddy of J Schultz ) and the 5th pick, yet they need a goalie and a centre and still get Nash. I believe even Gagner or MPS would be an overpayment for Schenn due to his contract. One of the Oil’s 2nd rd picks would be all I would give up for Schenn.

12. stevezie says:

gd,

Even though I hate his contract, I could live with dealing a second for Schenn, esecially if it locked up Schultz for us (which as of now is a lot less certain than people seem to think).

Schenn’s had one very good NHL season, one very bad, and two middling. At his age even having had one good season in the show is an accomplishment and speaks for for him.

Actually, the more I think about this the less I like it. Bad contracts kill teams, and he has one. We want a sure thing right now- it would be different if we were a strong defence. Like if I was Vancouver I would want him, they could afford to have a weak link while Schenn sorts himself out. We can’t.

I will only accept question marks if they’re young and cheap. like Schultz. Scheen is young but not cheap. I’m not saying he’s no good, but he’s no good for us.

13. Ribs says:

Is this any better than #1 for #7 and Tom Gilbert?

14. Maverick says:

If Anaheim get near the draft and there has been no progress in the signing of Schultz a minor deal for his rights would probably be of interest to the Oilers. Anaheim, based on capgeek has many contracts coming off the books and they are in need of depth everywhere roster and non-roster so would a trade of Omark for Schultz’s rights would that fly with the Ducks?? (pun not intended) lol.

15. mustang says:

Rondo:
    Trade Edmonton’s #1 pick forOLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON.

That would be nice, however phoenix would not do it.

Ya, I agree with you OEL would be very nice to trade for, Phoenix new owners may want to make a big splash with the #1 pick, however, giving up a young stud Dman probably isn’t something they are willing to do.

I wonder if Mtl would be willing to swap picks, if Subban was coming our way and Marincin or somebody of that ilk going back.

As far as Schenn, I hope the Oilers don’t do that swap picks and Schenn. Probably the best idea of all is to just pick whoever the scouts and Stu think is the best player now, and in the future, and don’t look back.

16. Zack says:

slopitch:
    I actually like Schenn. Think he is a buy low.But I’m not moving Yakapov to do so.

I’d do:– OEL– Landeskog– Hamilton+– Subban + 3rd– Coutourier

Draft Yakapov. Sign Schultz and Smyth. Upgrade Khabby.

I’d actually do the Landeskog deal in a heartbeat. I could be eating my own words here come mid season next year already but I love what he brings to the table and he would be a wicked addition to our top six. Colorado won’t give him up though, he has future captain written all over him and he’s perfect for their market, they don’t even know his ceiling yet.

I’d also consider the Hamilton deal as well, not a proven talent quite yet in the NHL so I could see the deal actually working from Boston’s side. Like you mentioned they would have to add but it probably wouldn’t be that much. By the sounds of it Stu and team were scouting him pretty good last year, I remember ST mentioning him a few times.

17. stevezie says:

I don’t see this deal happening, but I’m honestly not sure why. AS good as Hamilton should be Nail is still an upgrade and we all know what a question mark young D are, so Boston should like it, and the Oilers get the D they want a year into his development. You could argue we should just draft Murray, and that would be simpler, but it looks to me like Hamilton is much, much better than Murray even when you factor in age.

I’m a hypocrite for saying this, but I don’t think Hamilton is like the other young D. He’s different! His name is Dougie!

I like Couturier a lot but they’d have to add to that. He looks like another Jordan Staal, and that’s awesome, but it’s not worth a 1st. 1sts are very special.

18. gd says:

Speaking of Toronto, I’m already looking forward to the 2014 trade deadline shows, when the best the Leafs can get for a soon to be UFA Kessel is Dylan Mcirath and a 2nd rd pick, while Seguin and Hamilton are leading Boston to a top 5 PP?

19. jfry says:

no to oel unless we get the coach too. seriously, does anyone have interest in mike smith without the coach? fuck it, can we trade the first straight up for phx coach? that would solve our biggest problem and probably turn a few players into the items we’d like to trade for.

20. Jordan says:

stevezie,

I like that a lot. It’s a solid move. I expect that there would need to be some alterations of the other pieces, but the 1st for Hamilton is a move I would be very happy for.

21. slopitch says:

Zack: The Leafs can Eff-off. The only thing I would trade for from the Leafs is Seguin or Hamilton…Oh wait a minute…

Lol.

Trading down is a poor move. Duchene hasn’t been that great compared to Taveres. Hubradeau I read on Twitter has been very average in the junior playoffs this year. I’m basically of the opinion if you cant get a stud dman or power forward straight up then keep the best player (Yakapov). This isnt a Tayler vs Tyler or Alex vs Evgeni year. And Schenn doesn’t qualify as stud in my books.

So if Tambelli or Lowe actual makes this trade I’m allowed to complain about it right?

23. franksterra says:

Yes no to Schenn. I wonder if certain players might shake loose as the playoffs reveal good teams’ last weaknesses. NYR are stacked on D and 2-way forwards, but can’t score to save their playoff lives. #1 for M. Staal? Del Zotto+? McDonagh even?

24. stevezie says:

franksterra,

Since the team already has Richards and Gaborik, I’d say their offensive problems is an extension of coaching.

25. TheOtherJohn says:

Stevezie

“What about Yak and a third (or Davidson or Blain if they’d rather) for Hamilton and Boston’s 1st?”

I would do that deal in a heartbeat. Would Boston? Nope. Not even sure you would get Hamiton for #1 OV. but to then ask for their # 1? No way

Oliver Ekman Larsson: 25 minute a night 20 year old D men on first pairing in WCF team is pretty rare. I would do deal. Maloney? can we trade Tambelini for Maloney first?

Would much rather trade Gagner or MPS for Schenn

26. Professor Q says:

I was just randomly thinking how funny it would be if New Jersey won the cup, and Seguin and Larsson were cup winners before Hall and Nuge.

27. Traktor says:

I know Edmonton’s D is considered an area of weakness but if you look at the 80 man depth chart I don’t think its as bad as our centers.

We have nobody as good as RNH but Smid and Petry are both better than Gagner, and Schultz and Whitney are both better than Horcoff and Belanger.

All Edmonton has for center prospects is Lander and Ewanyk. I don’t think Pitlick has played center since playing in the NCAA. Edmonton actually has a lot of quality D prospects.

Forsberg isn’t getting a lot of attention around here but he is considered the 2nd best prospect on some scouting lists and a few of them list him as center.

I think Toronto could make a mistake by trading Schenn but I wouldn’t trade Edmonton’s best asset (1st overall) to make it happen.

28. Maverick says:

Traktor,

I am in the same mind set as you, the depth behind the big 3 is lacking. Picking Yakupov or Galchenyuk would help this team now and packaging other assets for a d-man has some legitimacy. Schenn is in upgrade better than Barker, Potter, Peckham but not better than Nick Schultz, Whitney, Smid or Petry.

29. Lucinius says:

Its been interesting to see how the Czech team has played Hemsky. He’s been on the third line (with Nedved) since the first game, but has been their best player, especially amongst the forwards more often than not. He’s thrown several hits (one notable), blocked shots.. and is being used both in offensive and defensive roles (he’s been on their PK at least a couple times, something I recall him doing decently the few times he’s seen the PK on the Oilers) and is 3 for 3 on face-offs!

He’s been his usual dangle beauty but nothing results machine, sadly. And has had three brutal give-aways.

30. Rondo says:

I think Matt Duchene had an off year, he would look good in an Oiler sweater

31. stevezie says:

TheOtherJohn,

Just so I understand you, because I’m not sure I do, are you saying that while Boston wouldn’t trade Hamilton straight up for the 1st, PHX might trade OEL? I don’t think that makes sense.

I do agree that Boston might not even do a straight-up Nail for Dougie deal. They might love him too much. I don’t think it’s crazy, however. If you wanted to trade from 9th to 1st and all you offered was a pick in the final ten of the first and asked for a middle pick/prospect back you’d get turned down. That’s the trade you’re saying is not even close.

I know Dougie is a year in, so there is more certainty with him now than when he went 9th. That said, he’s still a young D, and therefore a bigger risk than Nail. Nail is in a better position to help them while Chara (and possibly Thomas) are still elite. Keep in mind that Nail is really, really, really good. I think my offer is a fair conversation starter.

Fair doesn’t mean it happens though, I agree on that.

Traktor,

And that is exactly why drafting a D for need does not make sense. No D we draft is going to step in and be good, so we’d be drafting a prospect. At the prospect level, our need is centers, not D.

32. Rondo says:

Phoenix would not trade OEL fro Oilers #1 pick.

33. spoiler says:

What we’re missing is offense from the back end.

Smid, Schultz, Peckham, and Sutton as shut down guys right now. Teubert, Plante, Musil, and Klefbom as shut down guys in the system. Only Marinicin and Gernat as more O oriented Dmen, if they can carry their O over to the pros.

So trading elite offense in Yakupov for another shutdown guy in Schenn makes no sense.

Trading a first overall for the type of player that is typically a 2nd rounder in price is absolute madness.

34. sliderule says:

Stauffer interviewed Lowe today and once again was pimping Murray.

Bob finished off the segment by repeating what he has said before about Murray definitely playing in NHL next year.

The previous two drafts Stauffer has been bang on in pimping the oiler pick as the draft nears.

I think we are going to have a lot of angry bloggers after the first pick is made .

35. Cactus says:

Am I missing something here? Why does everyone seem to eager to move the 1st overall pick?

Do people (bloggers, management, etc.) not realize that Yakupov has junior numbers comparable to guys like Stamkos and Hall? A 40G scorer is the most valuable commodity in the NHL especially as scoring drops. Unless there’s a serious concern about his knee, he’s the pick and there shouldn’t be any question of a deal, even for a guy like Hamilton (who the Bruins won’t trade anyways).

As for whatever Stauffer’s saying, I really don’t care. I’ll wait to hear the final analysis of Stu. There’s no way we end up with Murray (or anyone else) without his blessing.

36. oilersfan says:

i think all this worrying about the Oilers drafting Murray ahead of Yak is nuts. One thing we can all agree on is Tambellini is slow slow slow at making up his mind. He believes in process and until they have their scouting meetings there is no way they have even decided yet. So Stauffer is just filling air time speculating about Murray or trading it or whatever. How could he know what the Oilers are going to do when it is highly highly probably they haven’t decided yet.

One thing we know for sure about Stu as well is, he doesn’t believe in going off the board, especially early. He is a bit conservative that way and I bet he will go with the consensus and pick Yakupov. The problem is Tambellini will not let anyone know until he goes to the podium in Pittsburgh.

I guess it is a good way to get listeners to his show and hits for all the blogs but I just don’t think there is much to talk about.

I would trade Yak for Galchenyuk if the Oilers could get something meaningful for the swap. But if i were the leafs, I wouldn’t bother as they need a center even more than the Oilers do (they don’t have RNH), so this rumour is probably blowing smoke unless Burke just wants to dump Schenn’s bad contract. Straight up i want the Oilers to take Yak and think they will, and that 2 years from now Yak’s value will be much higher than it is now. So in 2 years if the Oilers want OEL or someone like him, I bet they can get him. And really, do they need OEL now?

37. Marc says:

If the top rated player in the draft were a big center I might be inclined to believe that the Leafs were looking to trade up for him. But the top rated player in this draft is an undersized scoring winger. The Leafs already have two of those. Why would they give up anything significant to grab another one? And if Galchenyuk is their guy, why would they give up anything significant to move up when they have a good chance of getting him at 5?

This rumour has all the hallmarks of a media guy thinking to himself:
    ‘Burke has to do something.’
    ‘Trading for the first overall is something.’
    ‘Burke must be planning to trade for the first overall pick!’

38. TheOtherJohn says:

Stevezie

I think Don Maloney is a real smart guy. Real Smart!! He has assembled a good roster for the way his coach coaches. I do not think we could get OEL for Yakupov. Best example I can give of how smart I believe Maloney is, he let a 33 year old Belanger face off/PK specialist walk and signed a better, younger Boyd Gordon face off/PK specialist as a UFA. For less money. That is eaxctly the type of deal the Oiler GM should be making and isn’t.

Whitney off of last year is not a top 4 guy. Hope he recovers to get back to where he was.

Agree we need some offense for our top pairing. Dougie Hamilton and OEL would bring that but at a high cost. Are we prepared to pay it? Remember Gologoski cost Dallas James Neal.

39. hunter1909 says:

Owning the number 1 pick is akin to dating a Sports Illustrated lingerie model.

Luke Schenn)+ 5th pick) is akin to dating the reasonably pretty girl next door, with a fat aloholic slob of a Mom.

The mere fact that anyone imagines these assclowns and Katzbunnies would consider such a Messier-for-Nicholls “deal” proves that Edmonton girls must age very quickly.

40. oilersfan says:

i asked do the Oilers need OEL now?

Of course they do. I don’t mean to sound stupid.

the point i am trying to make is that while i think Yak for OEL is a fair trade, I recognize that Phoenix probably won’t do that today.
    However, in two years if Yak scores 35 goals, and Phoenix’s ownership is losing money and they want a high end skilled get your ass out of your seats and cheer player, all the while the Oilers perhaps make the playoffs for the first time that year, that’s when the trade could be made. And if they are just starting to make the playoffs for the first time , that is when they really need OEL, when they want to get to the next level, and it will be even more urgent than now. At that point Yak’s value should be higher, and the trade could be made with both teams benefiting.

41. misfit says:

I never thought I’d say this about the potential #1 overall pick in the final months leading up to the draft, but I actually think Yakupov is getting criminally underrated.

Despite Tambellini’s claims that Yakupov isn’t at the level Taylor Hall was in his draft year or RNH in terms of being a potential superstar, I would put Yakupov ahead of both of them, or at worst right up there with them. I don’t know if it’s the fact that he’s Russian, or that he doesn’t play a position that’s a current need on this team, but somehow there is talk around the hockey world that he might not be the first pick, or that the team holding the top pick might be willing to trade out of it, and to me that’s just crazy.

I remember the Islanders being non-commital about Tavares leading up to the draft to try to drum up some intrigue/publicity, but every man and his dog knew there was no chance Hedman was going #1. There was no talk about Tampa Bay taking one of the defensemen at the top of the draft over Stamkos or trading down to aquire more assets. Chicago was keeping the pick, and Kane was the consensus #1 (though Turris was talked about as a possibility too). St.Louis wasn’t moving from the top spot, and nobody talked about anyone going #1 asside from Johnson in 2006.

Teams almost never trade out of the top spot, and the team with the top pick always takes the top player. So why are the Oilers constantly trying to outsmart themselves? Keep the top pick. Take the best player. Shut up, and be thankfull you had the opportunity.

42. stevezie says:

TheOtherJohn,

I could be talked into payig that price, but I would need a long and hard discussion with my scouts, to acoid getting a long and hard something else in the trade. Even if we lose on value we might still up winning because we’d be trading something we have for something we need,.

Maybe. As smart as I know I am I really haven’t watched that much Hamilton or even OEL game-footage, and even less Nail. I’d need to ask people I trust for help, and as you said Maloney has earned that trust a lot more than Tambo has.

43. jb says:

Misfit and Marc are winning this thread.

The Schenn talk is a suggestion, it’s nothing close to a rumor. If the teams involved weren’t Toronto and Edmonton, this idea would be a distant memory. What does a montreal writer know about what management may or may not be thinking anyway?

Edmonton’s MSM doesn’t even have a clue what’s going on anymore.

I think I just read someone suggest Stauffer interviewing Lowe, while pimping Murray, will actually influence the decision. Do you really believe that?

44. spoiler says:

misfit:
    Teams almost never trade out of the top spot, and the team with the top pick always takes the top player.So why are the Oilers constantly trying to outsmart themselves?Keep the top pick.Take the best player.Shut up, and be thankfull you had the opportunity.

What evidence do you have of the Oilers trying to outsmart themselves with regards to Yakupov? Have they ever traded away a 1st overall pick? Or do you actually mean “why do neurotic Oiler fans constantly outsmart themselves?”

45. Gret99zky says:

The whole year was fail for Nail, not shit show for Schenn.

Take the Yak and don’t look back.

46. spoiler says:

My guess is that General Burkehalter will be after J. Staal and failing that, Duchene. He might take a run at Marleau, but I doubt it.

47. DSF says:

spoiler:

Paul Statsny would be more likely as a target for Burke.