KEVIN LOWE 11-12: BIG TIME

Kevin Lowe office doesn’t say “General Manager” but his impact on the club remains constant.

• Didn’t expect a Kevin Lowe edition in the series. It’s probably time we talked about him, it’s been awhile.
  • He has not done well post lockout. Certainly true. The 2006 run was splendid and a high water mark but is most certainly a distant bell.
  • He is still revered in Edmonton. I think there are two opinions of Kevin Lowe now. Well respected for his playing career and the citizen he became, but a knowledge that he is not well suited to the General Manager’s role.
  • Why aren’t people in Edmonton more upset? Kevin Lowe is one of us, he’s an Edmontonian. He and his family are valued as part of the community. You can see all kinds of examples all the time. Kevin Lowe is king of the hill in this city, no matter the state of the team.
  • The team is terrible. He should pay! I’m sure he will someday.
  • SOMEDAY! What the hell does that mean? It’s important to remember that we’re dealing with an owner who is also a fan of the Boys on the Bus. It may take many more years before Mr. Katz makes the decision to move Kevin Lowe to another position or set him free.
  • How many more years of losing? Well, I think the Oilers will probably be better this coming season no matter how poorly Steve Tambellini and Kevin Lowe perform on July 1. Stu MacGregor has given them too many useful tools, the older kids like Gagner and Petry are now actual NHL players and Hemsky’s due for a strong season. If they don’t hobble Dubnyk and follow through on their promise to add at least one defenseman, Edmonton should be in the playoff race on New Year’s Day.
  • So he could go another decade? Or more. Glen Sather spent 21 years as the de facto head man in Edmonton after a couple of years coaching and then adding responsibility previous to the ’79 expansion.
  • Sather won 5 Stanleys! Sure, but Lowe got them there in 2006 and even Sather has taken a dozen years getting the Rangers on track. I don’t think Mr. Katz has any sense of urgency and the Oilers most certainly have more elite talent than they did the day Lowe arrived as the GM.
  • You’re killing me here! Look, I’m not saying this is a great plan and certainly agree it wasn’t the best plan and the world knows it wasn’t the only plan. But it was the plan Daryl Katz signed off on and that’s all she wrote.
  • So we just sit here with our thumb’s up our ass! Careful, language. Louise reads this as she’s a nice person and my kids read this too.
  • So we just sit here with our thumb’s up our ass! Yes. There’s nothing we can do. The Oilers management have set course and the “rebuild” involves drafting high at least three years in a row. Unless you’d like to start stamp collecting or ice fishing or perhaps take a drama class.
  • More like five. Well, we know the rebuild started in 2010, replacing the orginal rebuild which started when Pronger was traded.
  • Is this working? The tough thing about the rebuild is that a good one and a crappy one look the same before the corner is turned.
  • When will we know? We found out this season.
  • What do you mean? Look, it isn’t working. Maybe it’s coach Renney or Mr. Tambellini or perhaps it is Kevin Lowe and the owner should flush them all. They gotta get better, the brand is becoming a running joke.
  • Will one of them quit or get kicked upstairs? I think coach Renney is gone, Tambellini is sure acting like the guy in charge, so that leaves Kevin Lowe to pull the plug. He could, Lowe doesn’t need the money and maybe he’s tired of being the man behind the scenes. Maybe he lights out for the coast or heads for the Big Apple; maybe the Habs come calling.
  • Do you believe that? No.
  • Why is Daryl Katz putting up with this? This what?
  • This, this failure!!!! There are many positives.
  • Like what? Oilers play to packed houses and interest has never been higher. The on ice product features some of the truly gifted young men this frozen north can produce and the thought of watching this cluster grow together and win is irresistible. The arena is moving forward. Good things for the Katz group.
  • But they aren’t winning! Right, which is why I said a minute ago it wasn’t working. Sometimes the guy who lays waste to the staff with layoffs and buyout packages isn’t the guy who hangs around as the manager for a decade. Sometimes a company uses two or three transition teams. Maybe the Oilers plan is to move Tambellini into Prendergast’s old role as the “draft-AHL” overseer.
  • How do the Oilers turn this around? Spend to the cap, offload the deadwood and do everything possible to win hockey games.
  • What would that look like? Khabibulin is either sent to Prussia or the Oilers bring in someone to push him; The Oilers spend to the cap and bring in two NHL defensemen capable of playing big minutes. They also add a veteran winger to help with the chores.
  • Lowe told Bob Stauffer today that scouts believe Ryan Murray can play in the NHL in 12-13. Sure. Interesting.
  • They’re going to take him #1 overall aren’t they? We discussed this before a few times. Here and here.
  • Oh my GOD they’re taking Murray. I have no idea, I’m a fan. But you can learn a lot about anyone by listening to what they’re passionate about and what they omit. The Oilers have the number one overall selection and the highest rated player is Nail Yakupov–so why are they spending so much time talking about Ryan Murray?
  • Gulp. Hey, I’m sure they are still thinking about it. Doubt the die is cast at this early date.
  • The scouts had their meetings already. And they’ll meet again at or after the combine and then they’ll meet a bunch before the draft and they’ll meet again at the draft.
  • Is there a chance they take Ryan Murray #1 overall. I believe there’s a good chance.

58 Responses to "KEVIN LOWE 11-12: BIG TIME"

1. Rondo says:

Lowe is a failure wrong philosophy bad results.
    Too bad Kevin is Daryl’s best friend.

2. Ribs says:

Taking Murray at #1 and letting him play in the NHL next season both sound like bad ideas.

3. Ribs says:

In other news, Vladimir Guerrero has signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays. Just seems wrong.

WHAT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5. sliderule says:

Because of Murrays injury plagued season I doubt if Lowe has seen him any more than most of us.

So where is the beef?Murray had a underwhelming WJC and so far at WC has played like a D who might need three to four years before he reaches Smid level.

You have to think that if the Oil think that highly of him Stu has convinced management he is better than Yakupov .

If Murray is that good Klefbom will be unreal as he played much better than him at WJC .

How about Gernat who came to a strange country and put up better boxes and offensively looks a way better option than Murray when you ignore that he is a fifth rounder.

I guess the Oil feel that another D who looks like at best a shut down defender is our answer

6. Rondo says:

Have scouts watched Murray play in the World Championships. ? They have played nobody a B-team in the USA and Junior hockey team France. Murray does not look good, he is looking like a guy that does not want to make a mistake. But Edmonton scouts think he will be ready.

This is either a joke or they are attempting to play poker. They really don’t want Murray but are trying get Yakupov at #2 with a kicker.

7. Ribs says:

Stauffer tweets…

Talked to a high-ranking NHL source tonight, He says that the Oilers would be crazy to pass on Yakupov. “He is a star!”

8. hockeyguy10 says:

sliderule,

Murray and his D partner Gormley were not on the ice for a goal against till Canada vs Russia at the WJC.

9. "Steve Smith" says:

Broken Arrow is easily Neil Young’s most underrated album.

That is all.

10. Southern Oil says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Broken Arrow is easily Neil Young’s most underrated album.

That is all.

What one of the biggest things this whole series has taught me, is that I don’t know near enough about Neil Young and his music. Now, how do I convince the wife that I need to go out and get a bunch of new tunes that I can’t afford?

It’s funny, I still have about 25 songs left that I kind of wanted to include from “round round” through “Interstate” and “Harvest Moon” and “Long May You Run.” Crazy.

12. DSF says:

Southern Oil: What one of the biggest things this whole series has taught me, is that I don’t know near enough about Neil Young and his music.Now, how do I convince the wife that I need to go out and get a bunch of new tunes that I can’t afford?

If you’re an iTunes kind of guy…they have a compilation of his work from 1963-1972 where he performs solo, with the Squires, Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Crazy Horse and the Stray Gators.

Great stuff

Has LT used “Everybody Knows This is Nowhere” yet?

13. "Steve Smith" says:

…to say nothing of your shameful disregard of the entire Trans album.

14. mattwatt says:

I was waiting to see “Bound for Glory” on here for at least one of the young guns. Never came though.

As for rumors of drafting Murray and/or trading out of the 1st pick, I am not liking what I am hearing so far. To be honest, it makes no sense in relation to the message the organization has been stating over the past 3 years: patience. By not taking the player with the likelihood to be greater and impact the game more, while drafting someone who could be years away from productive and likely not have as high of ceiling, all just seems strange.

Oilers are becoming more and more of an enigma. This is not good.

If the Oilers were a western, feel that now would be the moment where one cowboy steps in and states “have a feeling that this is not going to end well…”

15. ItsTheBGB says:

Lowe > Tambellini
    Yakupov > Murray
    Reilly > Murray
    Center > Winger, except for the Hall/Seguin case ;)

16. "Steve Smith" says:

That must be why you didn’t use Ride My Llama.

“Steve Smith”:

That must be why you didn’t use Ride My Llama.

lol. Or Motorcycle Mama, although Pat Quinn might have chosen it for Lubo. :-)

18. DSF says:

DSF: http://lowetide.ca/blog/2012/04/ben-eager-11-12-everybody-knows-this-is-nowhere.html

SS: There are no Inca’s on the team!

Thought you might save that one as a message to Katz.

You are doing a Katz review, right?

19. "Steve Smith" says:

Buddy should keep his Harley Davidsons off them desert highways.

DSF: Thought you might save that one as a message to Katz.

You are doing a Katz review, right?

Suggestions?

21. crude says:

This is some of my fave Neil, and definitely my fave Rick.

Crazy. Love that Motown sound, kind of like the Contours.

ItsTheBGB:
    Lowe > Tambellini
    Yakupov > Murray
    Reilly > Murray
    Center > Winger, except for the Hall/Seguin case

Everyone who saw Reilly gushes over the skating and skills.

Given the number of injuries to guys in the top 10 draft picks as of Oct 2011 and subsequently fell, drafting 8-15 might produce some of the best players long term this year.

Tanking has certainly produced RNH and whatever they get this year. (Hall was produced from a season where they spent to cap, signed Khabby, ran after Heatley, etc. it wasn’t an “organized tank”, but a pure clusterfuck losing season)

The team could not acquire that level of skill without the draft. I’ll concede that point everyday.

What I fear is:

1) They aren’t good enough to add the proper pieces around the kids

2) They overestimate the future desire of the core to stay together as a team when they hit their UFA years and by the time the are actually competing they lose key pieces or have to overpay to keep them.

I think 1 & 2 are related. We have seen many other high end players take discounts to stay in situations where they wanted to be, or like Hossa, take a discount to go to a situation that he wanted to be in.

In order to make this a good situation, better secondary players are badly needed.

The kids will be 1 or 2 years from UFA before any of the drafted D can take hard minutes, if they get there at all. They must stiffen up the top of D roster.

The reason I don’t think that Lowe and Tambellini will add the right players is because they have done poorly at a lot of little things. Their pro acquisition record is poor. There is no reason to assume it will improve.

I understand the whole “It’s a tank job, you can’t judge them” line, but giving out too much term and too much money for secondary players, or players who aren’t NHL quality any more is a symptom of being bad at their job, not a tank job.

Woodguy: Completely rational take and certainly based on what we’ve seen the smart money is on this group not being able to find the right chem.

The consumer reviews for Veet hair removal products on Amazon UK are amazing and awesome.

Make sure to read them all.

26. David S says:

The art of the tank job is making it look like you’re just really bad at what you’re supposed to do. Katz can afford to pay crap players on longer terms to make it look like Tambo et al are just dumb/incompetent. And hey, how much cap room do we still have?

When/if Katz decides to make winning a priority again (and nothing will really happen until he does) I bet you’ll magically see the bubble boys disappeared, post haste, no matter what it costs.

One more thing. How about we call it what it is – “tanking”, not “drafting high”. I’m simply amazed that nobody, moreso bloggers who straddle the line with the MSM have the guts to just come out and admit this, despite the overwhelming evidence.

I hope I’m wrong. I’m an Oiler fan and want to cheer them.

I just don’t think they have the people to pull it off.

Oil Kings on HD on Shaw 301.

I apologize if this was already common knowledge.

Oh. My God. VEET.

Oh. My God. VEET.

On my best day, I could never write a sentence like that one.

31. DSF says:

Woodguy: Within 12 seconds, the bathroom was filled with steamy fetid barse broth, and I had the clock weights, biffin’s-bridge and Sherriff’s badge under ice-cold running water at the tap end of the bath. This did not please the missus, as she was relaxing in there at the time surrounded by floating petals and candles, although she did say that the sight of my ringpiece flashing like a brake light was impressive, and she was pleased to see that my arse barnacles had all but disappeared.

On my best day, I could never write a sentence like that one.

/thread

32. stevezie says:

Lowetide: Yes, but didn’t plan on doing one when Eager came along. Katz? Sugar Mountain, Welfare Mothers, A Man Needs A Maid?

Suggestions?

Mansion on a Hill should at least make the first round of cuts, though to be honest I couldn’t tell you how the verses go off the top of my head. Maybe Let’s Roll? “I hope somebody knows how to fly this thing” seens a fitting lyrics. Downtown could be the arena anthem. Uh…

Well it’s been fun throwing around Fuckin Up and Piece of Crap as song suggestins, I ‘m just glad we’ve yet to reach to point where the tune is Helpless. Or Ohio I guess, because that would imply Katz is actively killing us.

33. Traktor says:

Why does Steve Yzerman keep hiring Lowe? Was Yzerman a “boys of the bus” fan as well?

It would appear that smart people identify Lowe as useful.

Traktor:

It would appear that smart people identify Lowe as useful.

Team Canada needs a french-speaking person in management. Kevin Lowe is the smartest french-speaking management type.

Lowe was horrid from 2006-2010, but he actually was pretty good before 2006. Money makes you stupid. It made Sather stupid in New York for a long time too.

P.S. Are you guys really going to leave me alone with Ryan’s mom on Murray Island?

35. stevezie says:

Hmmm… you seem to be right.

36. PunjabiOil says:

I don’t think they’ll take Murray:

1. Lowe mentioned they’re highly unlikely to trade the 1st overall.

2. Lowe mentioned management won’t override scouts.

3. Stu MacGregor mentioning elite offense wins you cups

4. In 2010, Lowe mentioned they had made up their minds on Hall in May, and the Hall vs Seguin play-up was a smokescreen.

I don’t think tihs year will be any different.

The media just needs something to talk about.

37. DSF says:

Traktor:

It would appear that smart people identify Lowe as useful.

godot10: Team Canada needs a french-speaking person in management.Kevin Lowe is the smartest french-speaking management type.

Lowe was horrid from 2006-2010, but he actually was pretty good before 2006.Money makes you stupid.It made Sather stupid in New York for a long time too.

P.S.Are you guys really going to leave me alone with Ryan’s mom on Murray Island?

Pierre McGuire speaks French.

PJ: MBS said something like there’s a cluster of 5 together right at the top. I remember it because its three Russians and two defensemen (or at least that’s my math).

39. PunjabiOil says:

I understand.

That said, we’re talking about Nail Yakupov. He’s the unanimous 1st overall on every list. What GM would want to take such a huge risk by going against the strong current?

I can’t see Stu MacGregor endorsing Ryan Murray over him. The fact that Stauffer talked about Ryan Murray potential being a #2 d-man kind of speaks on where the Oilers may see his ceiling.

i tihnk there is 0 chance they take Murray 1st overall. If anything, they trade down, but that still is a long shot.

Just my opinion of course.

40. oilersfan says:

I agree 100% with Punjabi

In fact Lowetide I would give you 10:1 odds on a $10 bet that the Oilers do not draft Murray with the first overall pick.

Maybe they are dumb enough to trade down and take a fourth rounder and Murray instead of Yakupov, but they won’t use that pick on him. No way no how.

PJ: Yeah, it’s going to be tough to pass on Nail. Manna from heaven. The verbal runs counter with the numbers, so we’ll see imo how much the scouting staff likes Yakupov. That MBS quote suggests to me that they view Nail=Murray and in that case they’d probably take the posiition need.

Interesting times.

42. Gerta Rauss says:

It’s not comedy central

-Paul Holmgren commenting on Bryzgalov

It’s an interesting piece:

-Holmgren expects to sign Matt Carle
    -he expects the cap to rise to $69M
    -Jagr is looking for employment-Holmgren “we’d like to have him back,we’ll see”

And a nice win by the Oil Kings-a wicked wrister from Pysyk with less than a minute to go wins game 5.I’m glad Gernat is on our side…sometimes I can’t tell if he is playing forward or defense but it’s all good..:)

43. dawgtoy says:

Woodguy,

Omg are those Veet reviews funny, my wife and I are literally killing ourselves laughing. Thank you!

44. PunjabiOil says:

If that’s the case, Stu isn’t so magnificent after all.

For the record, a gambling bookie had the odds today:

Yakupov – 250
    Murray +150

45. bookje says:

Woodguy: Everyone who saw Reilly gushes over the skating and skills.

The team could not acquire that level of skill without the draft.I’ll concede that point everyday.

What I fear is:

1)They aren’t good enough to add the proper pieces around the kids

I think 1 & 2 are related.We have seen many other high end players take discounts to stay in situations where they wanted to be, or like Hossa, take a discount to go to a situation that he wanted to be in.

The kids will be 1 or 2 years from UFA before any of the drafted D can take hard minutes, if they get there at all.They must stiffen up the top of D roster.

The reason I don’t think that Lowe and Tambellini will add the right players is because they have done poorly at a lot of little things.Their pro acquisition record is poor.There is no reason to assume it will improve.

The official tank job started about 1/3 of the way into that season once Khabibulin went down and Tambellini said ‘we will go with DD and JDD’ and announced that he was now ST3.0 (or was it 2.0?). Prior to that the goal was to be competitive.

I agree with all of the ‘fears’ you present. I just have more hope/optimism than you right now.

46. commonfan14 says:

I remember during Tambo’s interview with Duthie after the lottery Duthie said something like “I imagine you’re not going to divulge any plans you might have for this pick and take your time considering your options” and for a split second I really thought from the look he gave back to Duthie that Tambo was about to say “Nah, we’re taking Yakupov.”

I think that would have been awesome, and I bet Yakupov would have thought so too.

47. Maverick says:

-So we just sit here with our thumb’s up our ass! Careful, language. Louise reads this as she’s a nice person and my kids read this too.
    -So we just sit here with out thumb’s up our ass! Yes. There’s nothing we can do. The Oilers management have set course and the “rebuild” involves drafting high at least three years in a row. Unless you’d like to start stamp collecting or ice fishing or perhaps take a drama class.

I burst out laughing when I got to this part!!! :-)

I can see this phrase in a frame somewhere in Tambellini’s office.

48. slopitch says:

Does anyone else NJD as a possible comparable to us next year?

- bad finish followed by a lottery win
    - lack of d depth (assisted by adding Zidlicky mid season)
    - meh goaltending
    - 2 star wingers. Parise is a dominant 2way player (comparable to Hall). Kovalchuk it’s tempting to say Yakapov but I’ll say Eberle.
    - decent down the middle. Oilers with Nuge could come out ahead

So by adding a vet dman and team structure (a new coach) Oilers could have a major recovery next year. After seeing what Tippet does in pho and DeBoer has been able to pull off in Jersey I’d really like to see what the Oilers can do with a new coach. Yes NJD have a roster full of 2way players but they aren’t far removed from being a lottery team.

49. art vandelay says:

Hellz ya.

50. MrSmitty says:

art vandelay: If I sold everything I produced, and taxpayers were going to build me a new factory, would I keep my best friend employed?Hellz ya.A Half-Bil Handout covers a lot of payroll bloat and makes performance barely relevant. Tune for Katz? Did Neil Young ever cover “Trouble”? I’d take the Meredith Wilson version as lead by Robert Preston in The Music Man, but the Lyall Landley version on The Simpsons’ Monorail episode works even better.

Probably the most constructive post I have ever seen you post Art

51. BlacqueJacque says:

If we draft Murray first overall, kill me now.

If we end up with Murray after trading Yakupov down to get Murray + legitimate prospects not named Luke “get this rubber hand grenade away from me!” Schenn, I’ll settle for life support.

52. stevezie says:

slopitch,

But Zidlicky has been mostly a disaster.

53. slopitch says:

stevezie,

Really, the games I’ve watched the announcers have been raving about his game and how he is playing top pairing. I could be wrong on this as I don’t see many games.

54. nathan says:

“MBS said something like there’s a cluster of 5 together right at the top”.

The simplest reading on that is there is a drop off between Stu’s 5th and 6th and the top 5 are getting the “we want to know you better than your coach does” due diligence. That covers everything from being prepared to drop a few spots to being prepared for positive and negative surprises.

55. Maverick says:

If the Oilers brain trust do indeed decide to draft Murray 1st overall I think it is time to say good bye to this old boys on the bus club. The decision process of these individuals has been lacking for some time now and I’m sorry drafting Murray- a Eric Brewer type defenseman 1st overall instead of Yakupov – 40 goal scorer with grit and determination or Galchenyuk – Center with vision, skill and determination is just sad.

If this is what occurs changes need to be made and in the spirit of choosing songs to get the feel of the post I have to choose this song for this post.

56. iwin76 says:

I want Yakupov at #1 because that’s where the hype is and I haven’t watched either myself. Plus Bure-light seems more exciting than Eric Brewer, and if the team’s going to suck it might as well be exciting. Doesn’t mean Bure-light will win you more games, though. Plus, LT and regular posters here frequently refer to Stu McGregor as Magnificent Bastard and laud his drafts. He’s making the call. If that’s the case, and he thinks Murray is #1, what’s the big deal? Why the outrage? No benefit of the doubt?