What a crazy spring. We’re 41 days from the Entry Draft and if we simply read the tea leaves it is down to three names: Nail, another Ryan and Griffin. Can it be this simple? And complicated?
Edmonton has been sending native sons to the NHL since Neil Colville, and Johnny Bucyk (in photo) was one of the all-time best. The “Edmonton Express” Eddie Shore was actually born in Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan but made his name courtesy a stunning performance for the Edmonton Eskimos in 1925-26.
Ryan Murray is from White City, down the road apiece from Fort Qu’Appelle. I don’t know that there’s a connection, save for the fact that hard nosed hockey still exists on the wide open prairie.
It got a little wild this week. David Staples wrote an article based on a Bob Stauffer interview in which the word “the” may or may not have actually been the word “a” and that my friends was the topic of a long discussion. Either way, this first overall lead up is not close to being similar to the last two; one of the main differences is that we know the team (or at least they’ve led us to believe) loves Ryan Murray and Griffin Reinhart. Nail? Nail is a player available in the draft.
It’s kind of funny. If you google ‘Edmonton Oilers Griffin Reinhart’ you get 23 results in the news file. If you google ‘Edmonton Oilers Nail Yakupov’ there are 84 results.
Ryan Murray? 122.
This week’s episode is devoted to NHL Numbers and the new innovations. Your questions are welcome via email at email@example.com and you can leave comments below. Also, twitter works @lowetide_ Scheduled to appear:
- Derek Zona, managing editor of Copper and Blue who (these are the direct words of Wanye via his Manor) will be heading up the new initiative. If you’re on twitter, you must follow Derek for his avatar alone. Sam Gagner and I do.
- Kent Wilson from the Nations and the man who will work with Derek to make sure you and I can catch up with the fine reading and envelope pushing.
- Cam Charron, another big brain signed up for NHL numbers. Cam is young and funny, but has a strange attachment to Hootie and the Blowfish.
- Thomas Drance from Canucks Army. Thomas continues to run of big brains and is probably the one Canuck commentator who sees the team through the cold grey of dawn. Or something like that.
- Benjamin Massey writes for Copper and Blue and 86 forever. We had him on last week but the call was cut off when Benjamin’s RocknRolla lifestyle took over the moment.
- Corey Graham from the Edmonton Oil Kings will tee up G6 and what might be a championship evening.
Noon to 2 on Team 1260, archive within 24 hours. Hope you can join me.