NICK SCHULTZ 11-12: JOURNEY THROUGH THE PAST

Nick Schultz is a perfect fit defenseman for Edmonton no matter the era. Old timey style, calm feet, tougher than the rest. He works like a bugger, doubly so if he’s made the error.

Nick Schultz 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.23 overall
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.01 overall
  • Offensive Zone Start: 41.0 toughest among Minnesota regulars over 40 games
  • CorsiRel: -8.7 in Minny, worst on the team among regulars over 35GP
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest in Minny, although the 3-5 D appeared quite close
  • Boxcars: 82, 1-6-7
  • Plus Minus: -12
  1. What do these numbers tell us? Schultz is a veteran stay-at-home type defenseman and he was a breath of fresh air on arrival. Even those who didn’t like the trade felt Schultz’ defensive play was solid and consistent. After years of enduring failed defense on opposition sorties it was terrific stuff to see a professional at work.
  2. How could these numbers be better? Hard to assess, we see his Wild numbers weren’t easy (tough ZS) but his QualComp wasn’t difficult. We should expect a better CorsiRel from there, but it’s difficult to suss these numbers without having all those hours of observation.
  3. I thought that this was math site? We’re a fan of math but observation is also important.
  4. Tell that to your math friends. Do me a favor: find me a blogger who would prefer the numbers only without also seeing the player over an entire season.
  5. I thought our eyes played tricks on us? Sure, that’s why we measure time on ice all the other stats–boxcar and advanced alike. But bloggers also employ pvr and other visual aids.
  6. Other visual aids? I don’t know, I was just trying to complete the sentence.
  7. You hated the deal. I said “trading Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz and calling it progress is impossible” and that’s still how I feel. No disrespect to Schultz, I quite like him.
  8. Any concerns? Yeah, he’s got some miles on him. He’s about one season away (in terms of NHL GP) from the point where EDM traded Jason Smith. So, Schultz might have three seasons or so left but he’s not going to play another 1,000 games.
  9. So he’s done. No, but 250 more NHL games puts him at 1,000 and that’s a long career.
  10. No matter, Edmonton will have plenty of depth by then. Well, three seasons from now they should have a lot of young defensemen with experience and Smid plus Petry. I don’t really see the point of trading Gilbert, but as we’ve discussed there’s likely more to this than just a hockey trade.
  11. What will Schultz’ role be with the team? He’ll play in the top 4 at evens and be in the regular PK rotation. As the kids move up the depth chart I imagine he’ll serve as a mentor.
  12. Is there any offense? Smid level, he’s not going to help you in any significant way there.
  13. Who would be an ideal partner? Tom Gilbert. I kid, but only a little. Smid-Petry should be the top pairing and then Schultz and Whitney are both solid players. Beyond that, it’s either Sutton, Potter or a youngster or new hire.
  14. Would he be a solid partner for Justin Schultz?  I think so, he’s a veteran who could help the kid and keep things simple. Oilers don’t have that kind of luxury though, Schultz needs to play in the top 4.
  15. Who do you think they’ll pair him with? I believe the Oilers will add a veteran defenseman this summer. Someone like Fedor Tyutin who can come in, play top 4 minutes and has a wide range of skills. Pairing him with Schultz would give the Oilers some nice depth behind Smid-Petry and if Whitney is healthy then it’s a bonus and there’s three pairings who might be able to help.
  16. How are they going to get Tyutin? I don’t know, that’s Steve Tambellini’s job. And maybe it’s not Tyutin, maybe it’s a better player. Bottom line: this team needs a seasoned veteran, and a guy with 2-way ability. That became a large need the moment they traded Tom Gilbert.
  17. I have a theory about Schultz. Shoot.
  18. I think he’s been brought in to babysit rookies over the next three years. Well, the Oilers have a young group coming and could be adding a guy at the draft (plus the other Schultz) this summer. So it makes sense there, but why wouldn’t Tom Gilbert be a good mentor?
  19. That’s a good question. Yes. Yes it is.
  20. Is Schultz really a good fit for Edmonton? Sure. Schultz doesn’t have the size to dominate players physically, but I’ve never seen him back down and he’ll give as good as he gets. If you look back–from Jason Smith to Kevin Lowe to Allan Hamilton to Larry Zeidel to Eddie Shore Edmonton loves these guys, always have. Nick Schultz is a good, hard nosed defender and if he can hang around long enough there’s going to be some good days for him as an Oiler.

33 Responses to "NICK SCHULTZ 11-12: JOURNEY THROUGH THE PAST"

1. Jesse says:

“I don’t really see the point of trading Gilbert, but as we’ve discussed there’s likely more to this than just a hockey trade.”

I haven’t read much about this belief — mostly people just say it was a bad trade. Can you elaborate much on this sentiment?

Jesse: I have no evidence, but don’t really believe that it was just a hockey deal. Something happened there, Gilbert was basically the face of the franchise for awhile with blogs and video features (Gagner and Cogs were his roommates iirc). The Oilers are precise in their decisions about which players get the push and Gilbert was one of them.

From there to staying back so he could get traded on deadline day? I’m suggesting something happened. Perhaps unfair without evidence, but that’s how I feel.

Schultz plays defense by the textbook, schooled and trained by Jacques Lemaire Gilbert doesn’t. That is why Schultz is a better mentor for young defensemen. All the coach has to do when explaining something to one of the new young guys is to watch the way Nick does it.

Boy his offense fell off this season. Maybe a half dandy?

5. DSF says:

Boy his offense fell off this season. Maybe a half dandy?

Must have missed Jagr.

Who wouldn’t?

6. "Steve Smith" says:

Jesse,

Pure, unfounded speculation, but I think Gilbert wanted to be traded to Minnesota. On his arrival he said he’d always thought he’d finish his career there, which is kind of an odd comment, even given that players always put a positive spin on being traded. Oddly, despite the fact that I’m one of the Oilogosphere denizens who hated the trade the most, I may also be one of the ones who blames management for it the least, because for some reason I’m making unfounded assumptions that excuse management. Somebody check my water supply.

LT, you’re a lot higher than Schultz than I am. I’m basically reserving judgement until we have more numbers on him as an Oiler, but his Minnesota numbers do not make him look like any more than Andy Sutton at this stage of his career. And I like Sutton too, but we already have him, and he’s cheaper, and didn’t cost us our best defenceman.

(I know you’re not defending the trade.)

7. Traktor says:

Cervenka almost had as many points as Thoresen. Must be a player.

8. HeavySig says:

Traktor:
    Cervenka almost had as many points as Thoresen. Must be a player.

He ain’t any bigger than Thoresen, either.

9. DSF says:

Traktor:
    Cervenka almost had as many points as Thoresen. Must be a player.

Led the KHL in playoff scoring with 21P in 19GP.

Thoreson had 7P.

Tarasenko had 16P

Kuznetsov 9P.

Yeah, but Thoresen missed Jagr, you guys. Wait, is that it?

11. DSF says:

Yeah, but Thoresen missed Jagr, you guys. Wait, is that it?

You like numbers, right?

Which player had a superior PPG in his KHL career…Jagr or Cervenka?

Looks to me like the Flames went out and got a player while the Oilers are fussing over whether or not Pitlick will ever be an NHL player.

Translating a KHL career to the NHL can be difficult but the Flames got Cervenka for nothing.

Here’s a profile:

“Červenka has represented the Czech Republic with the national team on multiple occasions. He earned a bronze medal at the 2005 World Junior Championships. He also played at the 2009 IIHF World Championship and was selected to play for the 2010 Winter Olympics. At the time of the Olympic team selection, Červenka was leading the Extraliga with 55 points in 35 games.

On 25 May 2010, Červenka signed a two-year deal with Avangard Omsk.

He immediately earned a place on the left wing of the first line alongside his countryman Jaromír Jágr and quickly established himself as a prolific KHL forward. In his very first season,

Červenka was selected to play in the Kontinental Hockey League All-Star Game collecting more fan votes than any other skater in the league.

Having scored 31 times in the 2010-11 season, the forward received the Top Goalscorer award from the league.”

DSF: For crying out loud, if you’re going to get everyone in a tizzy, for goodness sakes aim a little higher. Talk up that Baertschi kid, he’s really good. I hope this guy comes over and plays well because honestly anyone who takes playing time from Curtis Glencross will make me feel better.

Maybe agitate on that one. “Hey Oiler fans, was the $100,000 Oilers didn’t give GlenX better or worse than the Smyth 100k?”

See that one has some bite. I’m not sure how much lather this Czervonka fellow is going to inspire.

13. DSF says:

I doubt he’ll be taking any ice time from Glencross since he is a natural centre.

I would imagine Jokinen is a goner.

Maybe Tambellini can swing a trade for Olli. :)

14. Henry says:

DSF: Led the KHL in playoff scoring with 21P in 19GP.

Thoreson had 7P.

Tarasenko had 16P

Kuznetsov 9P.

This guy seems pretty good. Though I hope he is another Jiri Dopita.

DSF: Just an example of how an organization can have its head up its ass and rely entirely on the draft while there are very good players to be found in many places.

I would imagine Jokinen is a goner.

Maybe Tambellini can swing a trade for Olli. :)

I hope he comes over and has a big season. Calgary is making a smart bet, good on them.

16. DSF says:

Henry: This guy seems pretty good. Though I hope he is another Jiri Dopita.

Could happen but it cost Calgary nothing in assets or draft picks to find out.

17. rickithebear says:

DSF: The Flames sign a dandy:

Playoffs blah blah!

Henry and LT here is one for you!

Cervenka 5’11″ 200lb 26year old
    26Yr season KHL 54GM 23G 16A

Omark 5’10″ 180lb
    22YR KHL season 56GM 20G 16A 36P

Omark equal production 4 years younger,

Calgary is talking 1st line.

You two “Omarks just not” , ” hope hes calgary’s savior”
    Your omark and Oiler MGMT hatred is a Beauty.

18. rickithebear says:

3M + for him versus .875 for Omark. Christ calgary could of had omark for a 3rd RFA offer sheet.

19. Ducey says:

Tyler Bunz named WHL goalie of the year

20. DSF says:

rickithebear: Playoffs blah blah!

Henry and LT here is one for you!

Cervenka 5’11″ 200lb 26year old
    26Yr season KHL 54GM 23G 16A

Omark 5’10″ 180lb
    22YR KHL season56GM 20G 16A 36P

Omark equal production4 years younger,

Calgary is talking 1st line.

You two “Omarks just not” , ” hope hes calgary’s savior”
    Your omark and Oiler MGMT hatred isa Beauty.

So what you’re saying is Cervenka is 1 inch taller, 20 pounds heavier. outscored Omark, was the star of the KHL playoffs and will be a feature player on the Czech WC team while Omark was cut.

Got it.

21. Traktor says:

But is he as good as Shirokov?

22. delooper says:

Do you ever get outside DSF? You post every second comment in every thread on this forum. DSF isn’t LT’s alter-ego, is it (he/she)? You post more than anyone, by a huge margin.

I think Schultz is a good NHL defenseman. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

24. DSF says:

Traktor:
    But is he as good as Shirokov?

Based on what we can see…much better.

I expect he’ll outscore Gagner next season.

Want to bet?

25. DSF says:

I think Schultz is a good NHL defenseman. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Sounds good.

Finding a good NHL defenseman seems to be an issue for some teams.

Not so difficult for others.

Some teams have 8 or 9.

26. pboy says:

Jesus, the Rangers have 4 absolute studs on defense. I wonder what it would cost to pry one of them away from Slats. On the other hand, Mike Green is close to invisible out there for Wsh. Some team is going to make a mistake with him this summer, I just hope it isn’t the Oilers.

27. SK Oiler Fan says:

Yep, like his game
    Calm, simple plays.
    Positionally sound
    Physical, bur not going to take himself out of the play to make a big hit
    Good skating and balance
    Can pair him with pretty much anybody
    Very durable
    Consistant – know what you’re going to get every night
    His passing ability is underated in my opinion

Only problem is he should have come with a 2012 2nd round draft pick for Gilbert.

28. Jesse says:

Watching Schultz come in and immediately start putting out fires was such a pleasant tonic after a long time of seeing young Oiler D men running around like it was London in 1666. Started to get accustomed to mgmt bringing in veteran D men to fill the 6 or 7 role.

As much as I would love for the Oilers to sign a stud d man like Garrison, I get the feeling that ST doesn’t see that as being the kind of move to make yet, but more something to do when the team is closer to being a contender. I know it was leaked earlier in the year that he said he wants to add one or two guys to the back end but judging his recent moves (locking down Sutton, making a side-step at best trade) I don’t get the sense that he feels he needs to make that big splash yet. (And yes, I consider signing Garrison a big splash when we’re talking about ST.) Especially when he goes on and on about how this years team was better than indicated by the standings.

29. gogliano says:

ITT we learn LT would make a fantastic troll if he applied himself to the task.

30. El Duderino says:

LT, absolutely loved your zingy thingy—”if you’re going to get everyone in a tizzy”. It really puts DSF into perspective.

“Oh those Russians” – Boney M

31. FPB94 says:

I’d like to note that Cervenka once popped 73 and 60. Both WITHOUT Jagr.

He was ever slightly under Radulov’s production.

He costs nothing and could be a good 3rd wheel + PP guy.

32. nelson88 says:

FPB94:
    I’d like to note that Cervenka once popped 73 and 60. Both WITHOUT Jagr.

He was ever slightly under Radulov’s production.

He costs nothing and could be a good 3rd wheel + PP guy.

but do you win with “Radulov’s” when the chips are down in the playoffs?