OKC BARONS RE WINNERS AND LOSERS (C)

The OKC Barons may graduate a center to the NHL in 11-12. There are some solid candidates and a young man the organization clearly believes will be a big part of the future.

WINNERS!

• Josh Green: I felt RE would be “if he spends the full season in OKC, 45 points will be reasonable.” He went 51, 16-21-37 and that certainly covered the bet. Green also played a little in the NHL and enjoyed a strong postseason with the Barons.
  • Mark Arcobello: I put his RE line in the sand at: “I’ll say 20 goals” and he was certainly on pace (73, 17-26-43) and he led the club at even strength scoring (14-22-36). A little surprising he didn’t get a cup of coffee in the NHL.

GOOD GRADES

• Chris VandeVelde: My RE for him was “an ability to deliver more offense” and he did, although it is unlikely he’ll ever have enough of a bat to play as an NHL regular. VV’s even strength totals (68, 5-13-18) were the worst among regular centers on the team. Having said that, VV is a player coach Nelson relied on and there is still a small window (Belanger looks on the outs, Lander is unready) of opportunity. I think he slightly improved his NHL chances this season.
  • Anton Lander: We talked in the fall about him and I didn’t think he was NHL ready and after this season am even more convinced. RE for Lander was “15+ goals in a full season and a matching set of assists” and his numbers (14, 1-4-5) would have had him on a 27-point pace. I don’t think that’s going to be enough for a 3rd line NHL center (NHLE: 3-10-13) but we need to see a full season from him at this level.
  • Tanner House: RE for the college man: “should be able to post north of 30 points in the AHL.” House went 68, 8-12-20 but all of those numbers were at evens. I don’t think he has a big NHL future but he’s an interesting player.

FAILING GRADE

• Milan Kytnar: RE was not a huge chore: “should be able to establish himself as one of the top 4 options for OKC up the middle.” He was unable to do it, going 13, 1-2-3 and then took off for Europe after a quick cup of coffee in the NHL. Played at 4 different levels this past season, ECHL, AHL, NHL, SEL. Don’t think he’ll be back with the Oilers.

Up next in the series: the blue.

16 Responses to "OKC BARONS RE WINNERS AND LOSERS (C)"

1. DeadmanWaking says:

Don’t recall seeing that second photo before. As Pippin once remarked: “They come in pairs?!” I got a funnel just like the one that fellow is wearing to stretch the cow when I picked up some used brewing equipment. Amazing what one can press into service to look the part. No toque, no problem. Just today I figured out that a cheap pair of black kneepads with stretchy-velcro straps ought to make a fabulous butt-bra on the rowing machine to prevent me from skittering off the back of the seat in my maximum power sets. I need a little bit of a ridge at the back of the seat. I find anything over 600 watts you’re pretty much hanging off the chain and the balls of your feet. (Plus the hard seat has been putting my butt to sleep during the slow recovery phase.) I think the skier guy will soon wish he had my butt-bra, too. I was watching a robin pull a giant worm in my backyard this afternoon. First there was the darting stab. Then there were ten to twelve iterations of yank, hold, hold, hold, relax. Suddenly there was a whole lot more worm than I expected. The two inches he was tugging on was only about the first quarter. He rolled it around on the grass three times then gobbled it up. I almost wanted to offer him some panko crumbs. Was it really such an epic struggle, or was the little gourmet tenderizing his calamari? Funny thing, I recall eating a lot of calamari and slices of lemon during the Oilers-Detroit series, as it was the only decent appy deal at the pub I was frequenting. A guy needed a lot of comfort food during that series to chase the beers. Haven’t had much calamari since, and I’ve never been brave enough to make it at home.

2. DSF says:

DeadmanWaking:
    Don’t recall seeing that second photo before.As Pippin once remarked: “They come in pairs?!” I got a funnel just like the one that fellow is wearing to stretch the cow when I picked up some used brewing equipment.Amazing what one can press into service to look the part.No toque, no problem.Just today I figured out that a cheap pair of black kneepads with stretchy-velcro straps ought to make a fabulous butt-bra on the rowing machine to prevent me from skittering off the back of the seat in my maximum power sets.I need a little bit of a ridge at the back of the seat.I find anything over 600 watts you’re pretty much hanging off the chain and the balls of your feet.(Plus the hard seat has been putting my butt to sleep during the slow recovery phase.)I think the skier guy will soon wish he had my butt-bra, too.I was watching a robin pull a giant worm in my backyard this afternoon.First there was the darting stab.Then there were ten to twelve iterations of yank, hold, hold, hold, relax.Suddenly there was a whole lot more worm than I expected.The two inches he was tugging on was only about the first quarter.He rolled it around on the grass three times then gobbled it up.I almost wanted to offer him some panko crumbs. Was it really such an epic struggle, or was the little gourmet tenderizing his calamari?Funny thing, I recall eating a lot of calamari and slices of lemon during the Oilers-Detroit series, as it was the only decent appy deal at the pub I was frequenting.A guy needed a lot of comfort food during that series to chase the beers.Haven’t had much calamari since, and I’ve never been brave enough to make it at home.

A sharp knife, a little pepper and some panko and you’re good to go.

Easier than eating worms.

3. DSF says:

Not sure why you would be concerned with any of these guys LT.

We’ve seen the Josh Green movie at least twice.

VandeVelde and Lander can’t hit AAA pitching and are behind Horcoff and Belanger on the depth chart.

Arcobello is 5’9″ 165.

If Belanger moves on and any of these guys are the best that Tambellini can come up with, he should be shot.

There are always much better options available for a song.

DMW: That, was perfect.

DSF:
    Not sure why you would be concerned with any of these guys LT.

We’ve seen the Josh Green movie at least twice.

Arcobello is 5’9″ 165.

There are always much better options available for a song.

I think Lander is in the plans, likely in the fall. Probably means Belanger is offloaded. If Lander is given a job again this winter and fails, I think VV might end up getting some time.

6. Ryan says:

Once derided as a canucks troll, I have to admit that I agree with much of what this man has to say.

Am I crazy when I read tractor and dsf and it feels like I’m reading the voices of reason?

LT, am wondering though… Why do you keep posting that pic of my gf? Lol….

DSF:
    Not sure why you would be concerned with any of these guys LT.

We’ve seen the Josh Green movie at least twice.

Arcobello is 5’9″ 165.

There are always much better options available for a song.

7. jake70 says:

I was listening to PrimeTimeSports yesterday, they were talking about how Holland in Detroit lets their farmhands “overripen”. We’ll see to what degree the Oil adopt this approach moving forward.

Well, I see Ms Redford’s out of town plans this weekend include the Bilderberg meetings. Well done Premier…I think.

8. TheOtherJohn says:

If Belanger is not moved, we will have $7.1m tied up in our 3-4 centers. Astonishing!!

“Not that there is anything wrong with that”.

Surely we can find some NHL worthy centers that can help us. Not quite sure how any of the listed AHL players are anything but 4-5 games call up bandaids. Lander was overmatched in the NHL and then followed it up by a non scoring stint as a 3rd line C in the AHL. Sometimes think the Oilers actually believe the fiction they sell MSM and fans that OKC’s success was about player development. Marincin was a Healthy scratch, ditto Hamilton, Lander played near the end of the roster and the only kids playing any minutes were MPS and to a lesser extent Pitlick

If any of the candidates you identified play 25 games we will have a real shot at the lottery again.

9. Ducey says:

Interesting that new Flamers coach Bob Hartley is godfather to one of Feaster’s kids.

Fair search?

They continue to make some strange decisions down south.

10. Jesse says:

TheOtherJohn:

“Not that there is anything wrong with that”.

Surely we can find some NHL worthy centers that can help us. Not quite sure how any of the listed AHL players are anything but 4-5 games call up bandaids. Lander was overmatched in the NHL and then followed it up by a non scoring stint as a 3rd line C in the AHL. Sometimes think the Oilers actually believe the fiction they sell MSM and fans that OKC’s success was about player development. Marincin was a Healthy scratch, ditto Hamilton, Lander played near the end of theroster and the only kids playing any minutes were MPS and to a lesser extent Pitlick

Marincin was a late season callup. Why is he already being pegged as a player who isn’t developing as well as is being projected? This seems impossibly premature.

11. tsunami says:

fyi, Pouliot signed with a Swiss team (Bienne) for next season !

Good for him, get over there and establish himself before coming back and helping the Oilers win a Stanley. Just as I’ve predicted! :-)

13. hunter1909 says:

M.A.Pouliot, Crazy Train, Jesse Ninnimakki…

It’s like having an endless supply of cocaine.

Schremp signed in the K today, too.

15. Ribs says:

I thought maybe Poos’ stock had risen a bit after playing a few decent playoff games and that he’d grab a spot somewhere this year. Opportunity missed…Or not.

16. TheOtherJohn says:

Jesse

Not suggesting Marincin is NOT a prospect. At all.

Stating that we are repeatedly told that OKC regular season and playoff success is evidence of player development. It is not. It is evidence of a very good AHL goalie,a well constructed and well coached team that relies, for the most part, on non prospects for much their success. The Finn, MPS had good development in the time they spent in AHL and Pitlick had 2 good playoff series.

Not sure how that is illustrative of a strong develoment success story.