One-Way Ginger

The Edmonton Oilers have some exceptional young wingers but lack the veteran 2-way types so important to the NHL game.

Wingers currently under contract to the Edmonton Oilers:

1. Taylor Hall
  2. Jordan Eberle
  3. Ales Hemsky
  4. Ryan Jones
  5. Ben Eager
  6. Magnus Paajarvi
  7. Teemu Hartikainen

UFA’s are Ryan Smyth (we know they offered him a contract courtesy Matty), Lennart Petrell and Darcy Hordichuk. Edmonton may draft Nail Yakupov next month, and if they signed both free agents offered contracts plus drafted the Russian the depth chart would number 10. And I still think there’s a good chance they sign Hordichuk too.

Based on this report and our friends at google translate Petrell is interested in returning (which implies the Oilers are interested in having him) but will only sign a one-way deal. During the RE end of season discussion, I suggested it might be a good idea to have him return as a 4th line/HS option to possibly mentor the kids. He could slide up to the veteran line when injuries hit and could sit out some games without the organization fretting over his development.

I would hope Smyth’s deal is done first, but signing Petrell as a depth winger is an idea I can get behind. Looking for him to establish himself as a 3rd line “Pisani-type” is probably a stretch based on what we saw last season.

52 Responses to "One-Way Ginger"

1. Truth says:

I think this will be a call the next coach would make. Have Petrell down at 10 or try to grab a guy like Tootoo. I know what I would do, although Petrell hits and has the odd fight he’s too much of a nice guy. The Oilers need some sandpaper, some real pricks to play against. Petrell is not it.

However if the Oilers do what everyone in the hockey universe is expecting and trade for a real NHL defenseman, there is a pretty good chance that depth chart gets diluted a bit.

2. eidy says:

I would like to see them give Hunter Tremblay a chance for this spot. Seems to be a PK demon and a better offensive touch/shot. I don’t think he skates as well as Petrell, but that would be my choice.

If sandpaper is what you are looking for Tyrvaiinen has more of that than either petrell or Tremblay

3. jonrmcleod (aka GospelofJon) says:

I’m hearing rumors on Twitter that Petrell is planning on returning to Europe. Can’t say I’ll be too disappointed to see him go.

4. Captain Obvious says:

Petrell isn’t a one-way winger let alone a two-way winger. Calling him a good defensive player is akin to how bad hitting catchers always get good defensive reputations. It isn’t that they are actually good but everyone assumes they must do something well and since it obviously isn’t hit they must “call a good game” or some other garbage. Petrell is the same. He’s one of the worst players in the NHL and there is no reason for a team to have him on the roster. He’d be a marginal player on an AHL team. Why would an NHL team ever waste a roster spot on him?

If you can’t score you can’t play because your team will be a minus every time you are on the ice. Teams that win have three and four lines that can score. No line with Petrell on it will ever be able to score.

5. Ducey says:

He can’t fight and can’t score.

Petrell is a “coke machine” without any pop.

6. hunter1909 says:

Toby Peterson 3.0

I’m still pissed about them bringing Rem Murray back, though.

During my vacation I went to Mount Everest, to meet up with a wise man who told me Oiler’s really need better players if they plan to keep their kids happy.

7. Mr DeBakey says:

Why would an NHL team ever waste a roster spot on him?

He’s not as bad as that – his numbers were better once Lander was slotted in correctly.
    But yes, if the Oilers can find someone who can PK and do other things, there is no reason to re-sign Petrell.
    Sign Colin MacDonald instead!

I was surprised to learn yesterday that “Gilbert needed to be traded for lifestyle concerns.”
    I didn’t realize that. I now feel better about the Traintrust’s deadline day deal.

8. jonrmcleod says:

Ducey:
    Petrell is a “coke machine” without any pop.

Is that original?

9. Dipstick says:

Mr DeBakey,

It was DSF that opined on Gilbert. I think there might be something to that idea. I would appreciate more information on that topic if DSF has some.

10. gcw_rocks says:

There was early indications Lander was a boat anchor for Petrell. Anyone update the analysis to the end of the year to see if this held?

11. Jordan says:

LT,

If this were 2008 and MacT were still coaching this team, Petrell would be great in that position.

We’re preapring to start the 2012-13 season in 4 months. The team is completely different, and having Petrell in that position is not a good bet, considering the rest of the lineup. He is two-dimensional depth (size and defensive accumen), and we need (in your words) multi-tool players.

In fact, the bottom half of the roster, as it has been used to date, has been thoroughly trounced, as evidenced by the +/- numbers, the corsi numbers, and the chances metrics.

Personally, I think a lot of that has to do with the defense that was out there, but that’s not what the numbers show. So, since many of these players are still going to be here next year, you make players accountable by having enough quality depth that if they aren’t playing well they can be sat. But, also important, is to recognize the assets that players have that make them successful, and build around them.

For example, there are a LARGE number of players on the team who have speed as one of their hallmarks at the NHL level. This past season, that was Hall, Pajaarvi and Hemsky, and hopefully next we can add Yakupov to that list.

Pick 3 and make a line, and let them play their game, within the coach’s structure. I like Hall-Pajaarvi-Hemsky.

Ebs Gags, and RNH all play the quick, IQ dominated game. See if they can mesh together. If not, figure out what they need to complement their game. I still think Penner would be a great fit with two of the three. Say Penner-RNH-Eberle

Smyth and Comrade Horcov have been getting nothing done together. Split them up. If the plan is to move Horcov eventually, then give him some time with some players who can play. If that’s not the plan (either buyout or play out the string) play him on the 4ht line and be done with it. a 3rd line of Smyth Gagner and Yakupov provides scoring depth, some clear roles on the line, and could be sheltered enough to ease Yak into the league.

Run a 4th of Jones, Horc, and Belanger, and give them the dogs breakfast. Keep Eager and Hordichuk if you want, but I’d dump one and keep 2 D-men up instead.

This lineup won’t win you a cup, but with the pieces they have signed right now, unless you’re making some very prescient trades, I think staggering into the playoffs with this kind of forward group is the best bet. It does allow for injury, with Harski, lander, Pitlick, and other AHL vets as callup options.

Petrell doesn’t fit in.

12. regwald says:

Dipstick:
    Mr DeBakey,

It was DSF that opined on Gilbert.I think there might be something to that idea.I would appreciate more information on that topic if DSF has some.

This is the first I’ve heard about lifestyle issues related to Gilbert.

We have heard recent things about Carter and Richards. How’s that working out for LA ? How true is any of it ?

What about the Stoll and Torres ? Grant Fuhr turned out to be true ?

Not sure how accurate that type of stuff is and how much impact it has management. I suspect that in Philly between Lupul, Carter and Richards when you show up on a reality show, it’s hard for management to turn a blind eye and not start to ask some hard questions.

Would seem a bit premature to conclude Gilbert has lifestyle issues.

13. Mr DeBakey says:

I don’t.
    I was being sarcastic.
    As far as I’m concerned that was another comment by Hedda Perez.

14. Traktor says:

Johnny Oduya signed for 3.375 x 3 with the Hawks today.

I hope to God that Edmonton stays away from UFA’s this year. That probably puts Garrison in the 5M range.

Patience. Draft. Patience. Develop. Patience.

I have a feeling Tambellini will do something stupid because he might have pressure to get something done.

And for the people saying Hall wants to win now then Hall should step up his game. This team will only go as far as the kids take them. Adding overpriced vets isn’t the answer imo. Especially on long-term contracts.

15. Ducey says:

jonrmcleod: Is that original?

Yeah.

16. Jesse says:

Traktor:

Traktor:
    Johnny Oduya signed for 3.375 x 3 with the Hawks today.

Patience. Draft. Patience. Develop. Patience.

So they aren’t allowed to draft Murray, and they aren’t allowed to sign Garrison for 4 x $5 million. Where are they exactly going to get the defensemen from?

18. Traktor says:

Jesse: I dunno man, Hall was flying this season. If he hadn’t been injured he likely would have put up numbers close to those of Eberle. In fact, all three kids performed better than expected this past year and the team still finished 29th. They need an actual supporting cast. Brad Pitt couldn’t sell this movie.

I’m not saying Hall was bad last season but this is Hall’s team. Go out and get it.

Hopefully Sutter will play the kids a ton and cut back on the veterans. Give the kids the chance to make or break Edmonton’s playoff push.

Last year we lost because Horcoff and Belanger couldn’t score or stop the opposition. That’s not to say that the Kids would have done better but you gotta lose with your best players and last year we gave way too much responsibility to players that aren’t our best options.

If Kovalchuk can play close to 25 minutes per can so can Hall.

If Malhotra only plays 12 minutes per game then Horcoff shouldn’t be playing close to 20.

19. Traktor says:

godot10: So they aren’t allowed to draft Murray, and they aren’t allowed to sign Garrison for 4 x $5 million.Where are they exactly going to get the defensemen from?

Tambellini is allowed to do whatever he wants. That doesn’t mean its a good idea.

Edmonton have a lot of defensive prospects on the way. Edmonton isn’t winning the cup next year with or without Garrison.

Edmonton can always trade for a defensemen. They traded for Pronger, Visnovsky, ect

Its much easier to trade for a reasonable contract than to sign a UFA for a reasonable number. Garrison @5M after his best season came in a contract year would be terrible IMO.

Dipstick:
    Mr DeBakey,

All the other players were jealous of his Huge Knob? @Horcov

21. Truth says:

I would accept Garrison on the Oilers, only because he is an NHL defenseman. I would not accept them paying more than what Petry is going to make, however. Garrison was unheard of a year ago and will only be known for being overpayed a year from now. 16G 17A.as a D, its extremely unlikley he hits that goal total again. Even if he does match his assists we’re looking at 6-9G, approx. 25pts His 17 assists match Corey Potter and Garrison played 3 minutes more a night. We all know Brian Campbell (his d partner) is overpaid, but he’s a lot better offensively than any Oiler D. I don’t know the normal ratio, but even Bobby Orr was less than 50% goals to assists.

No thanks.

22. Truth says:

I would also add that if I was Dale Tallon I would be kicking myself for not signing him to a respectable contract mid season only to sell high on the trade market in the off-season. Garrison is a solid defenseman, nothing more.

23. Ducey says:

The Oilers were a lot closer to a playoff team than their finish indicates.

They were 19th in Goals For at 212. They were 6 goals off the 16th team in GF

They were 23rd in Goals Against and gave up 13 more than the 16th place team in GA.

They were -27 which put them in 23rd in this regard. The 16th team in +- was -11. FLA was -24.

The Oilers need to make up around 16 to 19 goals in goal differential and they should be a playoff team. That is not really asking that much. If a new coach can eliminate one goal against every 4 games and keep the offense where it was last year, they should be right there.

24. FastOil says:

Traktor:
    Johnny Oduya signed for 3.375 x 3 with the Hawks today.

Did Bowman not watch the playoffs? Maybe he only saw that OT goal or whatever it was. I am glad the Oilers can’t sign him now. I wonder if the Hawks miss Tallon?

25. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

godot10: If you don’t draft Murray, you lose the ability to bluff in bargaining with UFA defensemen.

Truth,

I have seen others make this same argument against Garrison.

It has some merit given that this year is by far his best offensive year.

However, most people are saying he came from nowhere, and that’s not really true.

In this July 2011 article Jon Willis notes what an excellent job that Garrison and Weaver did as the shut down pair for FLA during the 10/11 season.

The started in the D zone a mind boggling 60% of the time, played the toughs and came out damn near even on a shitty FLA team that finished 28th in the NHL.

A phenomenal achievement that went largely unnoticed because they were in FLA.

Garrison also scored in the AHL.

He posted .478pts/gm in his 113 AHL games, and .538pts/gm in his last year in College.

You could argue the lack of offense in his first year and a half with FLA were more the aberration than this year’s .428pts/gm.

Given that he was in a shut down role (and exceeded at it with Weaver as a partner) in 10/11, then showed offense when paired with Campbell and put in offensive situations in 11/12, he may just be showing who he is.

He might be worth $5M/yr.

Its a gamble, but based on his ability to shut down the league’s best with Weaver as a partner and his previous AHL and College history of offense, I think he’s worth the risk.

What is is not, is a one year wonder.

He has a good track record and at 28 is in the prime of the typical NHL D man’s career.

27. Master Lok says:

till_horcoff_is_coach: How exactly does this bluff work for a player that can play anywhere, but somehow takes less money on a 29th place team because of a prospect?

Agreed. I really can’t see what this so called “Bluff” by Godot is. Unless “Bluff” = “Smoke”.

28. spoiler says:

WG: I can’t think of any reason to give a below 30 pt a year defenseman $5M a year WITH TERM. Tat’s just crazy talk.

I would rather do something like this:

Philly is going to need cap space to clear room for their run at Suter. Timmonen has 1 yr left. I think it would be pretty easy to pry him out of there for less than what he could be sold for at the 2013 deadline. In fact a combo of Sutton and Timmonen at that deadline could bring back a 1st rounder.

And then pick up Schultz.

29. Traktor says:

RNH + Gagner: +3
    Horcoff + Belanger: -36

Obviously the kids could handle more responsibility. Its crazy how bad the veterans failed without any type of accountability or shift in their role.

Maybe that is why Renney was fired?

I promised I would no longer talk about Horcoff and Belanger but damn.

Tambellini will sign a mirage like Garrison though and think all is well.

30. Traktor says:

spoiler:

Yup. I don’t know what has got into the minds of some people around here.

31. bsmart says:

In the bidding war the cost of Garrison will be 5M*4. Reasable woul d be 3.5M*3. But there are limited D men that can help out as UFA’s this year. This makes the trade for Justin Schultz rights even more important.

if Tambi drafts the Yak and gets Justin Schultz that alone makes the off season sucessful.

32. jb says:

Old news Ducey.

But Garrison is a solid option imo. He’s first and foremost a shutdown D-man, who’s started finding a scoring touch in the NHL. 5 mil range is steep, but he is the type this team needs. That said, I still hope they can land Suter on a reasonable contract. Could happen.

Traktor: Yup. I don’t know what has got into the minds of some people around here.

He’s shown to draw even or beat the toughest in the NHL.

That’s how you pay players.

If you have the ability to outscore or beat the best, you cash the largest check when you are UFA.

I like that Garrison, plays the toughs and can play PP1 and that is exactly the player the Oilers lack. Exactly.

Whitney is done and you need to look for a replacement.

He hit the lottery in that his UFA year is bereft of Dmen and he had a career year.

I think he’s worth the gamble given what I outlined above.

He is not a one hit wonder.

Plus Garrison isn’t 35 or anything foolish. It’s a good bet.

35. Jesse says:

Ducey: The Oilers were a lot closer to a playoff team than their finish indicates.

They were 19th in Goals For at 212.They were 6 goals off the 16th team in GF

They were -27 which put them in 23rd in this regard.The 16th team in +- was -11.FLA was -24.

The Oilers need to make up around 16 to 19 goals in goal differential and they should be a playoff team.That is not really asking that much.If a new coach can eliminate one goal against every 4 games and keep the offense where it was last year, they should be right there.

My only point was that the Oilers need depth, and that stars aren’t enough: case in point Anahiem and NYI.

36. spoiler says:

He’d be a good bet if the term wasn’t there… but it’s going to be.

37. spoiler says:

Anyone with that small an assist total, who is playing the first powerplay, probably shouldn’t be.

spoiler:

I would rather do something like this:

Philly is going to need cap space to clear room for their run at Suter.Timmonen has 1 yr left. I think it would be pretty easy to pry him out of there for less than what he could be sold for at the 2013 deadline. In fact a combo of Sutton and Timmonen at that deadline could bring back a 1st rounder.

And then pick up Schultz.

When Whitney signed his deal for $4MM cap in 07/08 the cap was $50.3MM or .0795% of a team’s cap.

The cap is expected to be about $67MM next year so a $5MM salary is 0.0746% of a team’s cap.

Its about right, and even cheap if Garrison continues to beat the best as he has done for two seasons (1 season with very little help)

Hell, he scored 12 of his 33 points on the PP, and playing with the Oilers, he would probably get more PP points give their quality PP.

He scored 9PP goals. The Oilers lack a back end trigger man on the PP.

This guy just fits in so many ways.

spoiler:

So shooters are bad?

OIlers lack a shooter.

spoiler:
    He’d be a good bet if the term wasn’t there… but it’s going to be.

Why?

Explain please.

Woodguy: So shooters are bad?

OIlers lack a shooter.

And he only shot 9.5%.

The Oilers don’t shoot enough and many say their PP prowess this year was a mirage due to high SH% and lack of PP shots.

He helps solve that too.

42. spoiler says:

Shooters aren’t bad. But point guys on the PP should be excellent passers.

And that shooting percentage is somewhere around double the average for defenseman. Crazy high.

And the length of term very obviously increases the risk. Why take a gamble and then extend your potential losses on that gamble for 6 years?

If it’s 5 x 3.5, I’m fine with it. If he ends up being a defensive specialist, then his salary and term fits. But paying a premium over a long term for unproven offense on top of that, especially the passing, I wouldn’t do.

43. spoiler says:

Timonen is the better option. Only one yr left on his deal. Can actually play the point on the PP.Lengthy history of offensive ability. Likely can be sold for more than he cost. Low risk… No brainer.

spoiler:
    Shooters aren’t bad. But point guys on the PP should be excellent passers.

9.5% is a little high, but he also was 20th in the NHL for shots among defensemen.

His 5v5pts/60 went from 0.63 last year to 0.83 this year.

Not a huge jump, not unsustainable.

His 5v4 TOI jumped huge from 10/11 tp 11/12

He went from 1.54 to 2.41.

He still wasn’t even playing PP1, Campbell (4.02) never left the ice 5v4 and Kulikov (2.81) got the first shift.

HIs 5v4 pts/60 went from 1.60 to 2.59. Still only ranked him 92nd by this metric among NHL Dmen who played more than 40 games. His numbers are for the most part, very sustainable.

So most of hits points jump were from extra PP time, and a slightly lucky sh%, and playing on an overall better team. (FLA was 7th in PP last year, EDM was 3rd)

FLA was 13th in the NHL in 5v4 SH/60 with 48.8, EDM was 26th with 44.4

FLA was10th in 5v4 SH% with 12.8, EDM was 2nd with a 16.1%

EDM needs more shots on the PP.

He has a history of offense in the AHL and his last year of college and most of his offensive numbers are very sustainable.

And he beats the best in the NHL.

He’s only 28.

A 5 year contract is not an issue.

spoiler:
    Timonen is the better option.Only one yr left on his deal. Can actually play the point on the PP.Lengthy history of offensive ability. Likely can be sold for more than he cost. Low risk… No brainer.

I love Timonen.

How are you going to get him?

spoiler:

I could name 20 NHL Dmen I’d want before Garrison.

Doesn’t mean they are available.

Garrison only costs money, not assets.

47. PerryK says:

@Woodguy

You make some very compelling points!

48. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I love Timonen.

How are you going to get him?

From my original response:

spoiler:

I would rather do something like this:

And then pick up Schultz.

Depending somewhat on the guys they want to keep, Philly would have to move salary for a run at Suter. Timonen is the biggest chunk of help. I think a reasonable deal could be made, if one was proactive about it. A lot of the top teams don’t have that kind of space, and while FLA would obviously be interested too because of the low salary to caphit ratio, I think they’d rather just re-sign Garrison and call it quits. Different story if Garrison makes it to free agency.

And I doubt that he will, unless he’s unhappy in Southern Florida.

I’d even be talking to Holmgren about giving him the first shot at a return deadline deal while making the original deal.

As far as who they want to keep, I’d think they’d rather hang onto the younger FAs then have 36 yo Timonen’s salary on the book. No prob bringing back Jagr next year either, if they want.

49. spoiler says:

The Schultz thing of course is facetious. That all depends on where exactly it is that he wants to play, basically a 1 in 29 shot. I’m thinking that wherever he’s going that GM knows already and in their world he’s nowhere near the distraction he is in ours.

50. Dominoiler says:

I could have sworn LT wrote about how poorly the 4th line produced offence this last season.. Put me in the camp that thinks some of that also falls on #37.. with that said, if the kid comes into training camp and steals a spot again then fine.. keep him.. but I wouldnt plan for him to be in the top 12..

(ugghh.. Please Hockey Gods, not last place again!)

spoiler: From my original response:

And I doubt that he will, unless he’s unhappy in Southern Florida.

I’d love to see that happen, but there are a lot of “ifs” involved.

If it could happen before July 1, that’s good.

Its still only a year though and you are in the same spot in a year.

Oilers need a 1PP tough minute Dman for the next 5 years.