Steve Tambellini added “find a coach” to his list of jobs this summer, so I imagine the midnight oil will be burning during the next several weeks. Can he fill all the holes? Can he find a better coach?
I well remember the summer’s of Stanley in this city. Bright, stunning days with blue skies and the warmth of the sun. Although the parades lasted about 10 minutes, the high from each SC victory had remarkable sustain. Well into the following season, and the truth is that even when the Oilers lost in 1983, 1986, 1989 and 1991 I thought Stanley would be a visitor many times into the future.
- A veteran winger to help with PK/PP and guide the kids at evens (Ryan Smyth)
- Truculence (Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk)
- A veteran NHL defensemen (Andy Sutton)
- A faceoff man to help with PK and to balance the C position. (Eric Belanger)
- A legit option for the moment when goaltending becomes an issue. (Yann Danis)
This year’s list
- A veteran winger to help with the PK and guide the kids at evens
- A “hard-ass” coach
- A veteran, top pairing defender who can handle heavy minutes at evens and one of PK/PP
- A puck moving defenseman for the future
- A legit option for the moment when goaltending becomes an issue.
I’ve read a lot of items lately about Steve Tambellini having the pressure on him. I can’t see it. He’s about to get an extension. This rebuild has a lot of blacktop straight ahead.