Sign Your Name

There’s some unfinished business for the Edmonton Oilers involving past draft picks. Jeremie Blain, Brandon Davidson and Drew Czerwonka have not yet been signed to entry level deals.

The club is likely more interested in Justin Schultz than any of the three draft picks, but there is value in the names still on the table. The deadline is June 1, and running these men through the NHLE I think we can make a case for at least two of them:

• Drew Czerwonka NHLE 82, 9-11-20
  • Jeremie Blaine NHLE 82, 4-16-20
  • Brandon Davidson NHLE 82, 5-12-17

I’d argue both defensemen are worthy of contracts, and Czerwonka should be considered too; he’s far more likely to fill a depth role at the pro level than a player like Travis Ewanyk. Justin Schultz’ NHLE (82, 15-25-40) is clearly in a different league, or at least belongs in one.

Should all three Oiler picks sign, I believe it would be the first time in Oilers history that 10 picks from one draft (2010) earned pro contracts in their entry level window.

20 Responses to "Sign Your Name"

How many contracts are they at?

Schultz can’t sign until July 1 from what I heard (doesn’t make much sense to me, if he’s a UFA he can sign anytime, July 1 is just when NHL contracts run out)

I like both Blain and Davidson, but I don’t think losing either is a killer.

If I can only take one its Davidson.

They’re at 32, with 10 rfa’s and guys like Smyth and Petrell UFA. Plenty of room from where I sit.

3. Henry says:

LT,

My understanding is that the Oilers share Stockton with another team, maybe San Jose. Is this true?

With all the draft picks they have stockpiled and the overall quality of the picks, could it be that they need to acquire an ECHL team for themselves. Baseball develops their guys like they are climbing stairs. Perhaps at some point this team can take a measured approach to development where most guys start in the ECHL rather than treating it as a demotion. Done properly, they could be able to get guys like Blain and Davidson to sign minor league deals at enough money to keep them away from Europe if they can convince them that they’ll get their shot if they play well.

I don’t know the CBA that well. Can an NHL team purchase minor league contracts during the life of the contract as in baseball?

Henry: Yes, NHL teams can purchase contracts. A recent example from the Oilers would be Charles Linglet in I believe 09-10. Oilers do share the ECHL Stockton club and of course they have more room at OKC–the Barons have quite a few AHL only contracts.

Your link just went to the Capgeek front page on my crackberry.

42 is different from what I’ve seen.

The RFA’s run out June 30th, so they count in terms of sigining by June 1st.

My understanding is that all of these new contracts count only toward 2012-13. That’s the link I posted (the 32 signed players plus 10 rfa’s). If Davidson, Blain and Czerwonka count the day they’re signed, that’s our answer.

7. jake70 says:

No TT Darby? Yeah I know Ms Crow is much better looking but still……;-)

Your original explanation makes sense.

If that’s the case then its whether or not they like the player.

Lots of young D coming along. Easy for Blain or Davidson to be cast overboard.

I think the best 3rd line guys are “failed” first rounders. (Guys like Rosie excepted) Drafting a guy to be a 3rd liner in the top 100 is counter productive at best and a waste at worst.

Excellent point, WG. Moreau was a first I believe, and Marchant a 2nd? I don’t know why but always think of the Marchant-Moreau-Grier line as the goal.

Jake: Purely due to looks. Love the TTD version, played it on the radio as a top 40 jock. I could talk to the post if you wish. :-)

10. DSF says:

Woodguy: Your original explanation makes sense.

If that’s the case then its whether or not they like the player.

Lots of young D coming along.Easy for Blain or Davidson to be cast overboard.

Exactly so.

There are scores of 3rd and 4th line players available all the time.

Acquiring the right ones is what separates the good GM’s from the bad.

11. jake70 says:

LT, no worries. How about when Justin Schultz signs in the near future, give TT Darby’s version a spin. I used to DJ some faculty parties in my Dal days…..loads of fun.

12. Semenko and Troy says:

DSF,

A lot of positives then to PRV developing as a valuable 3rd line shut down defender who can slide up when needed.

13. Thinker says:

Hey LT,
    Im just curious, but how does nhle translate among different leagues. It seems to work well with offensive players playing major junior, but the players who play more of a depth role seem to see massive decline after moving to the pro game. I just wonder if nhle is worth considering for all prospects regardless of league, and role?

Thinker: It’s a great question. I think you can use it across the prospect field but with the understanding that roles will change as they climb into pro hockey. As an example, Czerwonka would probably start pro in the ECHL and when he arrived at OKC would be extremely unlikely to post what Gabe would project for AHLE for him.

But a year later, when he’s more established and getting playing time? Sure. I think that’s what happened to Pitlick this season.

15. DSF says:

Semenko and Troy:
    DSF,

A lot of positives then to PRV developing as a valuable3rd line shut down defender who can slide up when needed.

I’ve always pegged him as a Jannik Hansen clone.

But Hansen uses the body.

And, of course, Hansen was selected 287th…not 10th.

DSF: Yeah, that’s the role I see him in but he’s going to have to learn to be physical if he’s going to succeed.

I’ve always pegged him as a Jannik Hansen clone.

But Hansen uses the body.

And, of course, Hansen was selected 287th…not 10th.

He’s Dvorak.

17. LP says:

Food for thought. Here is Tracy ‏@TreenasOil a few minutes ago.

13 min ago: @coachrw63 Ron Wilson has “inquired” about the Oilers head coaching vacancy as per Garfield

11 min ago: Oilers will not make any announcements on the head coach until after OKC is eliminated from the playoffs.

5 min ago: Tippet was on the radar, as is Crawford, but Lowe really likes Sutter.

18. LP says:

Woodguy:

Absolutely.

19. PerryK says:

Wow…….. And she can sing!!!!!!!

20. gcw_rocks says:

I would sign both d-men. It’s a long burn for those guys and its a bit of a crap shoot which ones are gonna make the leap. And they are cheap to get rid of if you decided they aren’t going to make it (either via trade or buy out at 1/3). Worth the risk.