With the weekend finally here (beer me!) we have a chance to reflect one more time on what the Edmonton Oilers shopping list looks like for summer 2012.
You can’t get a damn thing done without making a list, and the longer the list the greater the worry. I like to do these lists in an effort to follow the GM’s progress through summer.
Steve Tambellini, Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish are ticking off the needs list as we go.
- A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. Rumors have Keith Yandle to Mark Streit coming here, but there’s a nagging Marc Methot rumor too. So, we’re hopeful with cynical rising. Bouwmeester may suddenly be available and he’s worth it despite the contract.
A better Renney.We can discuss the merits of Ralph Krueger versus Renney, but most seem to think it’s a good signing and the kids seem to like it. We’ll call this a good arrow for now.
- Justin Schultz or similar. Still in the Schultz race, sounds like we’ll find out tomorrow or Sunday at the latest (source Dreger). I have mentioned Cody Franson as a possible in the past, Carle would be outstanding.
- A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. I would guess this will be the last thing checked off the list, although Brodeur/Luongo availability makes one nervous when the GM who brought in Nikolai Khabibulin on a 4-year deal is still in charge. Tyler Dellow mentioned Vancouver’s Lack recently, that would be an excellent acquisition.
- An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). I like Winnik but maybe this is a player Edmonton trades for.
- Ryan Smyth or similar. Smyth would be my first choice, but I see Shane Doan might be available and he’d be a solid pickup too. Hell, bring them both in, call everyone home.
- Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.