(CALLING ME HOME) HICKORY WIND

With the weekend finally here (beer me!) we have a chance to reflect one more time on what the Edmonton Oilers shopping list looks like for summer 2012.

You can’t get a damn thing done without making a list, and the longer the list the greater the worry. I like to do these lists in an effort to follow the GM’s progress through summer.

Steve Tambellini, Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish are ticking off the needs list as we go.

1. A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. Rumors have Keith Yandle to Mark Streit coming here, but there’s a nagging Marc Methot rumor too. So, we’re hopeful with cynical rising. Bouwmeester may suddenly be available and he’s worth it despite the contract.
  2. A better Renney. We can discuss the merits of Ralph Krueger versus Renney, but most seem to think it’s a good signing and the kids seem to like it. We’ll call this a good arrow for now.
  3. Justin Schultz or similar. Still in the Schultz race, sounds like we’ll find out tomorrow or Sunday at the latest (source Dreger). I have mentioned Cody Franson as a possible in the past, Carle would be outstanding.
  4. A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. I would guess this will be the last thing checked off the list, although Brodeur/Luongo availability makes one nervous when the GM who brought in Nikolai Khabibulin on a 4-year deal is still in charge. Tyler Dellow mentioned Vancouver’s Lack recently, that would be an excellent acquisition.
  5. An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). I like Winnik but maybe this is a player Edmonton trades for.
  6. Ryan Smyth or similar. Smyth would be my first choice, but I see Shane Doan might be available and he’d be a solid pickup too. Hell, bring them both in, call everyone home.
  7. Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.

99 Responses to "(CALLING ME HOME) HICKORY WIND"

1. jonrmcleod says:

Gretzky and Coffey talked to Schultz on behalf of the Oilers. How badly do they want him?

2. Gret99zky says:

How many out of 7 do you expect will happen? I mean how many would you bet your beer on?

They’ll address all of them imo–the question is how well? And of course I didn’t include “enforcer” and that will be part of the equation.

4. justDOit says:

jonrmcleod,

Maybe send Sutton to remind Schultz how often he’ll get run if he signs in Van?

5. Gret99zky says:

Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger

Wayne Gretzky confirms he called Justin Schultz as part of the Oilers push to sign the young d-man.Paul Coffey also part of the Edmtn pitch.

6. justDOit says:

I’ll be extremely surprised if NK is not sitting on the bench to start the season.

7. Gerta Rauss says:

Gret99zky:
    Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger

I think Paulina Gretzky may have been more effective, but that’s just me…:)

Gret99zky:
    Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger

Gretzky-to-Katz?

9. Gret99zky says:

Believe it or not I’d bet 5 out of 7 gets done, so help me beer.

And I never let the cat drive.

There’s something about the turn the corner, next phase type talk I think might be real.

Go back and watch the video of Tambi talking to Tommy G. about pitching for Schultz….watch Tambi’s little grin and eye sprarkle. It’s there I shit you not. He knew Gretz and Coffey were going to make the call.

Schultz has only ONE choice now. The Great One.

10. nathan says:

Cue the jokes about sending Semenko next. They learned something after sending Katz to Heatley.

11. justDOit says:

Gerta Rauss: I think Paulina Gretzky may have been more effective, but that’s just me…:)

3 thumbs up for that!

Hey – has there ever been a PG picture posted in one of LT’s articles?

12. bookje says:

What do Gretzky and Coffee have to say about Edmonton? Perhaps its the “You could be the boys on the Bus, er Plane” sell?

Sometimes I think the Oilers try too hard on this kind of stuff. I mean, there is recruiting and then there is creepy stalking which can have the effect of driving someone away (I’m sorry I hid under your bed for that week without you knowing Charlene but I just wanted to be close to you while you were sleeping).

I guess we will see…

13. gogliano says:

I have a Paulina connection. I’ll get on it.

14. Gret99zky says:

I’d go with the mother/daughter theme really.

Kind of a tribute to the past and a look at the future.

Hopefully Wayne forbids his daughter to hang out in Edmonton and especially anywhere near this “Nail Yakupov.”

15. Traktor says:

99 and Coffey probably just said its a great place to play.

Fun times, great opportunity, team on the rise, new building on the way.

There are worse places to play. Like Calgary.

16. justDOit says:

Gret99zky:
    I’d go with the mother/daughter theme really.

Kind of a tribute to the past and a look at the future.

Hopefully Wayne forbids his daughter to hang out in Edmonton and especially anywhere near this“Nail Yakupov.”

I can imagine his best pickup line would go something like, “Hey baby – how would you like to get Nailed?”

Gret99zky:
    I’d go with the mother/daughter theme really.

Kind of a tribute to the past and a look at the future.

Yeah that always works with daughters! Forbid them!

18. Gret99zky says:

bookje:
    What do Gretzky and Coffee have to say about Edmonton?Perhaps its the “You could be the boys on the Bus, er Plane” sell?

Who would you rather recruit you? Two hall of famers with legendary careers or Steve Tambellini?

ya, thought so.

next.

19. bookje says:

I know it’s wrong, but I am starting to feel sorry for Calgary.

20. justDOit says:

This just in from the twitterverse:

Brian Burke uses a ouija board to have the ghosts of Conn Smythe, ‘Gentleman’ Joe Primeau and Red Horner talk to Justin Schultz about what it means to wear the blue and white…

21. nathan says:

bookje,

Don’t know. Could have been embedded smoothly into the pitch or could have been as jarring as a Katz haircut.

22. nathan says:

Awkward would have been Vancouver trying to get a return call from Bure.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wow… how did they get the Gre and Coffey to call? what’s in it for them to stick their neck out like that at this point?

I definitely appreciate the loyalty though… but the big Book might have a point about how creepy this kind of loyalty can be… after all our team is basically an old boys club up stairs:

bookje:
    I know it’s wrong, but I am starting to feel sorry for Calgary.

This is important. I need your exact location.

25. gogliano says:

Coffey is the really interesting one. I mean Gretz is Gretz so getting a call from him would be crazy, but Coffey didn’t exactly leave on the best of terms. Sort of screams “you get to be the Coffey to the big4″ but it is surprising he is taking part.

In any event, definitely seems like they’re going for the “we’re putting the band back together” thing. Not the worst counter to “I’m a huge Vancouver Canucks fan.” And if turns out they are just trolling him for being a Dys fan I’ll have a new faith in this organization.

26. Gret99zky says:

If Kevin Lowe told Wayne Gretzky to call you and tell you he believes you have a good opportunity in front of you and he wishes you luck no matter what you decide, you find that creepy?

Do you leave the house?

I have never found #99 to be creepy. Nor do I think he could be.

I would think that was the exact conversation. “Imagine skating up ice with those options!”

28. Mr DeBakey says:

Traktor had list in the last thread.
    As I read it, I’m thinking “he knows Tambo is still GM right?”

If Tambo gets 1, 6 & 7 done, the rest’ll be gravy.
    Delicious, rich, spicy gravy.

But I’m not holding my breath.

And no way 5 & 6 happen – one or the other only.
    Cuz Mags, Harski and other Finns…

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gret99zky:

Do you leave the house?

I have never found #99 to be creepy.Nor do I think he could be.

I got it… creepy might be too strong a word… but don’t you think you can over-pitch something like this.. seem too eager?

probably need to employ some “pick-up” tricks like telling him he’s fat or something

30. nathan says:

Did Yak get a call from Andy with tips on cutting up at practice? It’s like Katz is trying to collect the complete set.

31. bookje says:

Lowetide: This is important. I need your exact location.

I am currently under Justin Schultz’ bed. Shhhh.

32. Ribs says:

Man, we have to boo the sweet bejeezus out of this kid if he doesn’t sign here after sending the big guns after him.

33. Gret99zky says:

1. A top pairing defenseman. This will happen but it won’t be the top pairing Dman we expect. +1.
    2.A better Renney. I believe this has already happened. I have teaching experience and Renney is vanilla while Krueger will take interest in the team and they will take interest in him. Students buy in when they know the teacher is nice but not too nice. Firm but fair. And life isn’t fair. +2.
    3.Justin Schultz. I believe he will come here. No source. Just signs and observations. +3.
    4.A reasonable goaltending option. MacTamblowe will find an AHLer but not an NHLer until Khabby is traded/buried at the deadline. -1.
    5.An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles. This should be Ryan Smyth, but won’t be. -2
    6.Ryan Smyth or similar. See point #5. He will sign, get extra $ for mentoring, and get fewer minutes and be unhappy and will be another distraction. +4
    7.Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.
    I don’t know what this means. We have Omark? +5

That’s 5 out of 7. But the numbers will lie again.

I recall the Oilers doing something for Heatley, maybe that was the template and they improved on it? Thanks, Dany!

35. nathan says:

bookje,

“With the slightest disturbance, the dream’s going to collapse”

36. Gret99zky says:

I can’t find the video I referred to anywhere on the Oilers site.

I am certain the Younger has seen the light.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Speaking of GP and the wisdom of the Older Guys:

38. DSF says:

Mike Eaves, coach of the Badgers, was on local radio in Vancouver this afternoon.

When asked directly where Schultz will sign…he laughed knowingly…paused dramatically… and said Justin Schutlz is a HUGE Vancouver Canucks fan.

FWIW,

39. nathan says:

Mac-T: Now, this is obviously an idea that Justin himself would choose to reject. Which is why we need to plant it deep in his subconscious. Subconscious is motivated by emotion, right? Not reason. We need to find a way to translate this into an emotional concept.

Lowe: Hang on while we patch in Katz’s standard dream sequence. Hours of dreaming that he’s Coffey passing to Gretzky should do the trick.

40. Gret99zky says:

Exactly.

Better that than a cat driving a car off the cliff. Special effects wise not pet owner shit and stuff.

41. justDOit says:

Biron just resigned with the Rangers. One more good backup prospect off the market. Rest easy Nick.

42. bookje says:

If Wayne Gretzky called me, I would tell him that I am all good for green tea and Fords., but thanks.

43. Rondo says:

LT,

How many guys come out of American College hockey and start immediately in the NHL?

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje,

How bout wine? I’d take a free case.

Rondo:
    LT,

46. Rondo says:

I know he is older and Gardiner made the transition very quickly, but I look at a player like Brendan Smith who is just starting the NHL after 2yrs in the AHL.

I do realize that Detroit D are much better and made it harder for Brendan to start right away.

If we get Justin I hope we don’t rush him.

47. Gret99zky says:

bookje:
    If Wayne Gretzky called me,I would tell him that I am all good for green tea and Fords., but thanks.

Wow. You would be doing yourself a great disservice.

I would not expect that from anyone on this forum.

Many here have actually been blessed with the opportunity of meeting or speaking with Wayne Gretzky. This guy is everything: classy, humble, great, iconic, stylish, a champion, transends his sport. He is everything a hockey player and a man wants to be.

If my son had the chance to meet or talk to Mohammad Ali, Bruce Lee, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods, I would say you have just experienced something that others only dream of.

Remember this day.

Rondo:

I know he is olderand Gardiner made the transition very quickly, but I look at a player like Brendan Smith who is just starting the NHL after 2yrs in the AHL.

I do realize that Detroit D are much betterand made it harder for Brendanto start right away.

If we get Justin I hope we don’t rush him.

If he isn’t ready, they’ll send him out because you can’t damage the guy. But he’s pretty much what he is imo, he’ll get burned (all rookies do) but the scouts love him universally and you can hear the crying from Anaheim to Edmonton.

49. justDOit says:

Lowetide: this is a pretty advanced player. He’s a little better than Jake Gardiner from what we’re told and Gardiner spent 10 games in the AHL. I very much doubt he’ll be the 9th best defenseman at training camp.

The big difference between Gardiner and Schultz is that Gardiner agreed to a contract and then played for the team that drafted him. Mild alarm bells, if you ask me, but he does seem like a pretty sure bet to make the NHL, as long as the team he decides on (ugh) can be patient with a zero-pro-game guy playing top minutes.

50. ashley says:

Rondo,

After this circus he and his agent have orchestrated, expectations are going to be high regardless of where he signs.

51. striatic says:

yep – there’s a clear, clear comp and he only has to be better than Peckham and/or Potter.

i think the bigger risk for Schultz is playing his way out of a spot in subsequent years with some of the other prospects coming up – but *this* year it is safe to guarantee him a spot given his history and comparable players.

52. nelson88 says:

DSF:

FWIW,

A very good G.M. and a very good coach but there is more than a little bit of arrogance in both of them. Promising the moon to an untested university kid would be a very hard pill to swallow I would think.

AV did a nice little hack job on Kessler in the media a while back and he isn’t exactly unimportant to the Dy’s future success. The bad blood that got Hodgson shipped out of town would be another recent example.

53. bookje says:

Gret99zky: Wow.You would be doing yourself a great disservice.

I would not expect that from anyone on this forum.

Many here have actually been blessed with the opportunity of meeting or speaking with Wayne Gretzky.This guy is everything: classy, humble, great, iconic, stylish, a champion, transends his sport.He is everything a hockey player and a man wants to be.

Remember this day.

Relax, not everything you read on the Internet is true.

54. striatic says:

justDOit,

j. schultz will not be playing top minutes unless he is clearly capable by mid season.

i think he’ll play second line minutes and 2nd unit PP. no more, no less, no matter which team he signs with.

55. Gret99zky says:

Expectations are being thrown around this year like confetti.

When injuries rear their ugly head, real or otherwise, we may just be in for another really nice excuse to be in the lottery again.

56. justDOit says:

justDOit,

Edit: I guess he never did play a game for Ana before being traded to Tor, but I don’t think he wanted out of California, did he? He did play for the team who owned his contract, I guess is how I should have put it.

57. Gret99zky says:

bookje: Relax, not everything you read on the Internet is true.

Well that’s for sure.

And if you had the opportunity the meet the Greatest Oiler/Hockey Player of All Time you likely would be more gracious. Just saying. Setting aside the internet smack.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic,

Well, when you remember that Corey Potter was on the #1 PP for a good portion of the year… I think we’ll find a spot for him. It’s him or Whitney right?

experience vs. mobility… hard to say who wins.
    nelson88,

I think you’ll find we have our own issues with arrogance and poor communication with players

59. jake70 says:

There was an article a couple of days ago in The Province, in BC, where the writer argued that if the determining factor for Schultz’s decision was ice time, Vancouver would be out by now because they couldn’t offer him big big minutes. But becasuse they’re still in, they have the best chance because they can offer “everything else”.

60. justDOit says:

striatic,

I’m not saying he will or should be playing top minutes, but he supposedly wants some guarantees with his contract about playing time. Ridiculous.

61. gogliano says:

DSF:

FWIW,

I’ll see your random speculation and raise: https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/218844728127524864

62. Backhand says:

Bob tweeting he’ll decide the team tomorrow. That’s good right?

63. Gret99zky says:

David Pagnotta‏@TheFourthPeriod

Welcome Schultz the Younger.

Time for some Lord of the Rings music and Samwise Gamgee Ale.

See you Saturday!

64. Gret99zky says:

They’ll say tampering and we will blame old 99′s gamblin’ wife.

Whitch(sp)…I’ve been telling you all along, LT.

Mother & Daughter spread.

Lured out of Edmonton to LA.

Cums to Edmonton to lure the Nail to Hollywood. The Glamour. The i-phoneLife.

I can’t wait for the next, “Oil Change”.

65. DSF says:

nelson88: The Schultz situation is adding some much needed pop to this years free agency story. Makes sense that the Dy’s are a front runner if Schultz has always been a fan. Having said that I wonder if this is a situation where having Gillis and AV in the picture might work against them.

If players leaving town seething is a tell…I would think Lowe would be leading that parade. (Pronger, Souray, Comrie, Peca, Smith (maybe twice) et al.

You would have to think that, if the Canucks didn’t offer Schultz guaranteed playing time but are still in the running, that is also a huge tell.

Form the interview I referenced, I think Eaves has a pretty good idea where Shultz is going but perhaps the sales pitches in the last couple of days may have swayed him.

In either case, Schultz will likely play second line and first unit PP at least to start with In Edmonton or Vancouver.

Ottawa and Toronto might have more difficulty making that work since they already have numerous PP options on the point.

66. gogliano says:

Guess twitter links are a no go.

At least this thing should be wrapped up in time for free agency.

67. slipper says:

Getzk99y: you stole that line of advice from Mindy Lawton’s mother, didn’t you!?

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gret99zky:
    They’ll say tampering and we will blame old 99′s gamblin’ wife.

Whitch(sp)…I’ve been telling you all along, LT.

Mother & Daughter spread.

Lured out of Edmonton to LA.

Cums to Edmonton to lure the Nail to Hollywood.The Glamour.The i-phoneLife.

I can’t wait for the next, “Oil Change”.

there’s a lot going on in this post.

Romulus in a previous life: Dear Penthouse…..

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The first thing I noticed about her was her loose-fitting top that seemed to caress her bra-less figure in the wind. The second thing I noticed about her was the way she kept looking at my wife with richly desirous eyes as she tugged at the straw of her Singapore Sling…”

Something along those lines?

That’ll do it.

72. sliderule says:

MacT said we thru everything but the anvil at him pretty much says it all..

73. Archie says:

LT either you a getting bad information or you don’t have a clue what your talking about. Cody Franson is a 7th D on a real bad defensive team. He was part of a salary dump in which he played very protective minutes with the Pred’s. He skates well north to south, but has poorer lateral movement then Peckhams. Hits less then Schultz, Petry. Smid, and Whitney and has allergy to blocking any shots. Has a above average shot, but rarely hits the net. Is this the type of D the Oilers need, or is some people getting desperate and will take any scraps. It may sound bad, but I rather have Barker then Franson.

74. Dipstick says:

sliderule:
    MacT said we thru everything but the anvil at him pretty much says it all..

I think that their presentation was all carrot and no stick. They should have gotten Tikkanen to call him every hour until he agreed to terms with the Oil.

Franson played soft minutes but had an excellent CorsiRel and does bring some offense. PLus he got screwed around by the coach there.

Dipstick: I think that their presentation was all carrot and no stick.They should have gotten Tikkanen to call him every hour until he agreed to terms with the Oil.

THIS

77. Doug McLachlan says:

Gret99zky: David Pagnotta‏@TheFourthPeriodSounds like Oilers & Senators are top 2 teams in race for Schultz… gotta imagine calls from Gretzky & Coffey puts EDM ahead.Welcome Schultz the Younger.Time for some Lord of the Rings music and Samwise Gamgee Ale.See you Saturday!

Would be really surprised if the Senators are in the final two, still think it is between Vancover and the Oilers.

Thrilled at the full-court press that the Oilers are making and, am pleased that they really are going hard with the Boys on the Bus 2 strategy. It is the appeal to the heart (as opposed to the head) where many, many decisions are made. We use the rational to justify the decisions we make but the motivation for the decisions are often made with the non-rational.

Vancouver, BTW, has a huge advantage here over us in this. It was the team he cheered for as a kid. His dreams of winning the Cup were wearing ‘Nucks colours (even if those colours have changed). That is hard to overcome.

This is where Gretzky’s pitch can really help. He didn’t grow up dreaming of being an Oiler – his backyard Cup wins were wearing Blue and White. If he, and Coffey, can convey the appeal of being part of something magical with pack of Young Turks taking on the world, maybe it is enough to overcome the desire of playing for the local team.

If he chooses us the rationalization will be that this gives him the best opportunity to rack up pts and future $ when he signs his next contract but the rationalization will not be what gets him to pull the trigger.

This much we should give the Oilers credit for – they went all in on Schultz and from what I can see made as effective a pitch as we could have hoped for.

78. justDOit says:

This may be the bath salts talkin (shuddup brain!), but JS’s best option at this point is to come to the Oilers and play his butt off – he’ll get more opportunity and better coaching (edit: and more support from players his own age (stupid bath salts)). If he’s half as successful as his former teammate Gardiner was last year, then he’ll do fine and will develop quickly. When an opportunity opens up in Vancouver for him, he can always demand a trade. Simple.

79. GordM says:

Worried we’ll fall into the ‘always a bridesmaid…never a bride’ in the JS sweepstakes like so many other failed pursuits (i.e. Hossa, Jagr). If we do land him….sure will help towards the feeling of a new era here in Oil Country.

Took my two young kids to Oiler prospect camp today. Was standing beside a lady and she asks “Is one of your boys out there?” I have twin 3-year olds and I’m 33. I politely answer ‘no’ and ask the obligatory “is one of the players out there one of your boys”? She tells me he’s just the big defender and fortunately for reading this blog I successfully guessed Bigos. She’s confident he can skate well enough to keep up…personally I think here opinion was slightly biased. Now that I’ve met his mom I will be rooting for him to find his way in the pro ranks.

Gord: Cool story. He’s massive, suspect he’ll have a career of some note, somewhere in between Alex Henry and Andy Sutton. Those guys take awhile often, though.

81. art vandelay says:

What, are they inviting random Edmonton KC players to camp now?

art vandelay: s

No, Kyle Bigos from Merrimack.

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

how on earth does a kid that big end up with that name?

Were his parents reading the Cratylus?

84. regwald says:

Treenasoil saying the Oilers would be interested in Brodeur if he goes to UFA.

Also said Detroit going hard for Smid (no, don’t do it Tambo)

And interest in Gags, but the Oil don’t like the price offered.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

regwald,

Brodeur… it would certainly be interesting… but you know they’d pull a Frank Thomas/Hakeem Olajuwon again (i.e., repeat of Nik). Object lesson… never sign aged stars in the hopes of boosting ticket sales.. or something.

I don’t know… for 1 year? it wouldn’t really matter. Surely he’d be better than nik. But I’d imagine he wouldn’t want to wait for DD to fall down to get his starts.

Smid… I will go all kinds of freak-out if they trade Smid. never, never, never.

Gagner… he’s a good chip to get something we need. Problem is you trade him for a D say… now you need a C. it’s just re-arraging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

86. regwald says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    regwald,

Smid… I will go all kinds of freak-out if they trade Smid. never, never, never.

I believe Broduer is nearly done. No need to sign him here. I agree with your Smid assessment as well.

I think Gagner is gone for a dman unless of course Tambo pulls a rabbit out of his hat with this Schultz thing.

87. Doug McLachlan says:

So LT with the Schultz decision (as per Bobby Mac) coming down tomorrow I take it you have prepped three different lead-ins to Nation Radio for tomorrow: Boys on the Bus 2; Chakha, when the walls fell; or Hanging Chads.

As some suggested on draft day, I would love to see the “What if” options you have prepared.

That said, here’s hoping the Badger from Kelowna gives us a reason to set off pre-Canada Day fireworks in E-Town – the hockey gods have been hard on us of late and it would be nice to see what winning a few of these would look like. Makes it much easier to see the path when you get the occaisional burst of light.

88. "Steve Smith" says:

regwald:
    Treenasoil saying the Oilers would be interested in Brodeur if he goes to UFA.

Also said Detroit going hard for Smid (no, don’t do it Tambo)

Well, as Fussy Britches would be the first to point out, we don’t need Smid that badly anymore, now that we have Ryan Murray.

89. vishcosity says:

Luck is earned, I believe, and while I have been a Lowe apologist for years, I can’t say I feel the brass has done much to earn anything decent as of late, save the occasional 1st overall pick.

Went to the Coyotes development camp, can’t believe how smooth is that Brandon Gormley. Made three killer passes in the scrimmage, and ate everyone in the drills. Kid named Hunter Fejes blew me away a couple times, caught an absolute highlight reel goal on film. Henrik Samuelsson had the moxy of someone who thinks they may own the world. Nick MacNeil is in a very large body. Very. Large. Wanted to see Connor Murphy but he wasn’t on the ice. Sheet says 6’3 RHD. Thought that sounded pretty attractive with a 35 8 18 26 byline from Sarnia, but alas. no va.

Justin Schultz may have some smash mouth hockey coming his way, Correy Perry may not be playing well with others come October of next year. Getting calls from Wayner may be cool for right now, I think the universe may have a way to balance itself out. NHL comeuppance. Not sure I’d want that for my boy.

There are no threads in Phoenix, and the boat left SF for San Diego last week. Crazy horse may involve a hotel.

90. jb says:

vishcosity:

I agree, but we really lucked out with Yakupov… Columbus clearly earned that right.

Luckily for some, this draft helped separate the delusional (Anyone that thought Murray was going to go 1 on draft day), with those capable of following logic and reason when presented with the evidence numerous times.

I’m pretty shocked we’re still seeing FussyBritches speculation posted here… Can anyone else think of a team or two that might kinda like Smid? (Insert Random team looking for a D)
    Oiler fans not happy with their goaltending? Brodeur testing the FA market? LiKEOMGSEEWHATIDIDTHERE? Let’s play connect the dots

91. leadfarmer says:

So which cable network is going to hold a 1 hour JS DECISION DAY special. Cause this is getting out of control. Got a feeling he will be one of the most hated hockey players for a few years.

Doug McLachlan:

That said, here’s hoping the Badger from Kelowna gives us a reason to set off pre-Canada Day fireworks in E-Town – the hockey gods have been hard on us of late and it would be nice to see what winning a few of these would look like.Makes it much easier to see the path when you get the occaisional burst of light.

I’ll maybe post them for a “limited time” or something? Wouldn’t it be weird? I haven’t looked at them since writing but if we can agree on a date to post them I’ll set them up for a few hours each. I used to be able to post stuff and then bury it by date on blogger but can’t do that with wp.

93. leadfarmer says:

Hey lowetide you should try to get some sleep. Its offseason and a weekend at that.

leadfarmer:
    Hey lowetide you should try to get some sleep.Its offseason and a weekend at that.

lol. Just woke up. The dog needed to go out.

95. leadfarmer says:

So what do you think is the line in the sand for improvement for this year. In my opinion anything worse than 11th in the west should be considered a failure..

96. bookje says:

Nice!

97. bookje says:

GordM:
    Worried we’ll fall into the ‘always a bridesmaid…never a bride’ in the JS sweepstakes like so many other failed pursuits (i.e. Hossa, Jagr).If we do land him….sure will help towards the feeling of a new era here in Oil Country.

Took my two young kids to Oiler prospect camp today.Was standing beside a lady and she asks “Is one of your boys out there?”I have twin 3-year olds and I’m 33.I politely answer ‘no’ and ask the obligatory “is one of the players out there one of your boys”?She tells me he’s just the big defender and fortunately for reading this blog I successfully guessed Bigos.She’s confident he can skate well enough to keep up…personally I think here opinion was slightly biased.Now that I’ve met his mom I will be rooting for him to find his way in the pro ranks.

Well, with twin three year olds I can imagine that you look well over 40 so…

98. bookje says:

leadfarmer:
    So which cable network is going to hold a 1 hour JS DECISION DAY special.Cause this is getting out of control.Got a feeling he will be one of the most hated hockey players for a few years.

I think it all fades away pretty quickly other than the hate of a few management people inAnaheim. He is simply following the rules as they are.

99. commonfan14 says:

I fear this whole “process” has been nothing but a sham.

Hopefully Anaheim’s refusal to trade his rights means that they have serious ammo to nail the Canucks on tampering charges.