CECI RIDER

The deeper we get into this year’s entry draft, the more exceptional the blue. It seems to me that it is completely possible to trade up into the mid-teens and acquire an outstanding prospect. It isn’t always this way–remember 2007?

The Oilers have traded up into the top 50 a few times over the last half dozen seasons.

• Feb 27, 2007: Oilers trade Ryan Smyth for Islanders 1st rd pick in 2007, Ryan O’Marra and Robert Nilsson. Pick ends up being 15th overall (D Alex Plante).
  • June 26, 2010: Oilers trade C Riley Nash for 46th overall pick (D Martin Marincin).
  • February 28, 2011: Oilers trade Dustin Penner to Los Angeles for D Colten Teubert and 19th overall (D Oscar Klefbom).

If the Oilers decide to draft Nail Yakupov and still want to get in on the flood of blue, there are some teams in the first round who might do business. We’ve already discussed Carolina at #8, but Washington has two picks (#11 and #16) so perhaps there’s an opportunity to trade there. Below, Boston’s management has implied moving up or down from #24 might be in the cards.

Let’s have some fun with this. Assuming NJD do the expected and take their punishment this draft, Edmonton’s 2nd rd pick will be #31.

• Question: what is a fair price to move up from #31 to #16? So, Edmonton trades the 31st overall pick and (your answer here) for #16 in this draft.

And let’s try not to make it personal, so I won’t suggest Ryan Jones if you don’t suggest Sam Gagner.

What’s fair? Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Peckham, Lander, what’s the answer? And since we started this post with the Animals, I’d like to end it with the Yardbirds.

Pronman on Ceci: Ceci is a very sound all-around defenseman who doesn’t have a standout skill other than his hockey sense, but he does everything else at a fine level which in the big picture makes for a very good defenseman. Ceci is an above-average skater who skates very well for a bigger player. He’s fluid, but not extremely fast but he really gets around in all directions well, activates efficiently off the point, and looks technically sound in his movements. Ceci is a plus thinker who sees the ice very well, can make good split second decisions, and is able to quarter back the power play.

30 Responses to "CECI RIDER"

1. D says:

Regardless of moving up or not, there is a long history of Stanley Cup winners who have found major gems deep in the draft.

It’s pretty random through, doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to which teams get those gems deep in the draft. I know, I know, Detroit has Z and Datsyuk but they haven’t done it in awhile and there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of sustain.

3. Rondo says:

Assuming Semin is leaving they may need some scoring .

I read somewhere today that the Red Army team in Moscow was going after Semin. Caps could be at a crossroads.

5. Gerta Rauss says:

I alluded to this a couple days ago-I think this is a more reasonable–and attainable– goal than trading down from 1 or trying to get another pick in the top 10.
    I think it may take a few deals to get from 31 to 15 unless they are willing to give up someone like Pajaarvi. Phoenix is on record as saying that 27 is available..31 to 27…??maybe LA’s 3rd round pick(looks like it is going to be 90) gets that done..?

I think moving up from 27 would depend on who wants what…maybe Omark or Peckham moves you up a couple of spots..? It will take some patience and a little luck finding the teams that fit the pieces you’re willing to move but I think it’s doable.

6. speeds says:

I’m not a big fan of trading up into the top 5-10 for a few reasons, but one of the biggest is that I’m unsure how much, really, separates the 7-10 best D in the draft, and I think the perceived difference in cost to trade up to 7th or 8th vs. 15th or 16th overstates the difference in general quality of prospect.

speeds: That’s what Im gathering as I read along here. Crazy year. I wonder where Klefbom would go in this draft? And he’s the best Oil prospect on D.

8. Ribs says:

Nick Schultz. Bahahaha..Oh..

9. Rondo says:

Obviously Edmonton will be watching the draft and if a player they want falls below their ranking, enough they will attempt a trade . Who can they get on sale?

10. Rondo says:

Maybe you trade Klefbom for Reinhart .

11. Maverick says:

Rondo:
    Obviously Edmonton will be watching the draftand if a player they want fallsbelow their ranking, enough they will attempt a trade . Who can they get on sale?

Plus with Kevin Lowe and Daryl Katz at the draft table, it will be a short walk for Tambellini to ask their opinion and approval on any transaction. :-P

Moving from 31st to 16th, Hemsky, or Paajarvi? Or would Paajarvi and the 31st get you Rundblad?

12. eidy says:

I am interested to see mckenzie’s final rankings. I assume Murray, Reinhard, dumba will go in the top 10. But there seems to be a ton of good prospects left. Cecil,trouba, Maata, pouliot, skjei, koekkoek. Maybe one will fall but I can’t see making a trade up unless one of the top four fall. I would like skjei to fall

13. "Steve Smith" says:

Brief thread hijack: Godot10, I owe you or the charity of your choice $200. I’ve yet to review your explanation for why Justin Schultz is a UFA, but call this you winning by default. E-mail steve.smith@ualberta.net to make appropriate arrangements.

HE’S BACK

“Steve Smith”,

HI Steve,

Good to see that you are not dead.

When people stop posting, you never know.

Oh Oh Oh! Can you make it out to the HUMAN FUND!!!! PLEASE????

I think Hemsky on a 2 year deal + 31st gets you CAR’s 8th or WAS’s 11th.

WAS could use help at RW.

If the OIlers draft Yak, they may feel they can move Hemsky.

I wouldn’t do it, but they might.

I think Omark’s rights and the 31st gets you to 16-20. (mayve you have to add a 3rd, maybe)

Omark has .461pts/g, in his first 65 NHL games, that has some value.

MPS has too little value and too much upside to trade.

18. Maverick says:

Woodguy:
    I think Hemsky on a 2 year deal + 31stgets you CAR’s 8th or WAS’s 11th.

WAS could use help at RW.

If the OIlers draft Yak, they may feel they can move Hemsky.

I wouldn’t do it, but they might.

Omark has .461pts/g, in his first 65 NHL games, that has some value.

MPS has too little value and too much upside to trade.

Draft Yakupov at 1st.

Hemsky and 31st for the 8th, draft Reilly at 8th?

That would be a hell of a 1st round for the Oilers!

The first two hours of TSN draft coverage would be worth watching. With all the possible movement in the 1st round, TSN’s coverage of the 1st round might be 4 hours long.

19. Rondo says:

I hear 2020 draft is going to be strong.

20. pboy says:

I heard the replay of the V.03 presser today and I can never figure out why Tambo always sounds so out of breath. It’s like the guy forgets to breath or something. I just can’t trust a guy who isn’t smart enough to breath regularly.

It’s nerves. He also lets the spittle pile up without swallowing–which isn’t natural but he’s uncomfortable. No biggie, doesn’t mean he’s a dummy. His inability to say things makes him appear less able, though. I don’t think it is a problem because mostly people make allowances for it.

But when you’re spending a generation in the cellar, well that sort of thing gets a life of its own.

22. Captain Obvious says:

Other than the very top of the draft, trading up is almost always a bad idea. The difference in value between picks is minimal because none of them are that valuable in the first place. After the top picks quantity is more is more important than quality. Trading established NHL talent to move up in the draft is a fool’s gamble.

Captain Obvious:
    Other than the very top of the draft, trading up is almost always a bad idea.The difference in value between picks is minimal because none of them are that valuable in the first place.After the top picks quantity is more is more important than quality.Trading established NHL talent to move up in the draft is a fool’s gamble.

The Oilers don’t really have any established talent to trade, not that I can see anyway. Prospects? Sure. 31 and a prospect for 16? I guess it comes down to how many truly outstanding D prospects there are and it looks like there’s about a dozen.

24. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Brief thread hijack: Godot10, I owe you or the charity of your choice $200.I’ve yet to review your explanation for why Justin Schultz is a UFA, but call this you winning by default.E-mail steve.smith@ualberta.net to make appropriate arrangements.

Steve, you need to go back tot he blog and check it out. Gotdot set it up, but I think I got the final ‘clause’ that explained why he’s a UFA – I could be wrong. In any case, if it’s me, feel free to keep your cash or give it to a poor orphan or owner of a pharmacy chain. I see the ualberta address – if you are still a student – keep the cash and pay off your student loans.

25. bookje says:

Also – Steve – glad you are alive as well. As WG mentioned, people could die here and none of us would ever know. Sometimes I think about how weird that is, years of conversation, and not even know the guy died… this internet thing is an interesting beast.

26. P-Ow says:

It’s always astonishing to see how people who have never met Steve act towards Steve on the Internet (though via Facebook, I was able to see that you weren’t really dead).

For the record, Ualberta.net accounts are for alumni, not current students, who get ualberta.ca accounts.

27. Matt.N says:

Speaking of draft pick values. I posted this at Copper and Blue a few years ago.

“Steve Smith”:

If you have determined that the solution offered is the best/correct one, and you truly don’t need the money, donate the $200 in the Lowetide blogosphere’s community name to the United Way of Edmonton, or any Edmonton charity that you are truly passionate about.

29. Ribs says:

…And make sure you get receipts for all of us so we can get the huge tax break.

30. FastOil says:

Captain Obvious:

i was just going to comment I am surprised to see these “trade a good NHL player for a lower pick” comments here amongst the stats savvy. Maybe if they can trade assets they are going to let go cold on the meatball platter anyway. Was that too obscure? Not the big meatball, the little one.