DRAFT 2012 DAY ONE: ALL WILL BE REVEALED

The Oilers are going to get at least one very good young hockey player today. We may also get a look at what kind of impact MacT has in the room.

Nail Yakupov is some kind of wonderful. Brilliant insurance against Hall injury and or Hemsky trade, all indicators have him being an offensive difference maker.

Smooth skater and a defensive gem, Murray is a plug and play at a very difficult position. The concern over size might mean he’s passed over.

Kept getting better and getting bigger, to the point where his physical play, defensive play and ability to move the puck put him at or very near the top of the draft. Reading the tea leaves (and recalling quotes from Millard and Nielson), my sense is that at some level there are portions of Oiler scouting and management that values Reinhart beyond the rest of the class. They may see him as a cornerstone defender, completing the fab four with size, skill and toughness.

This is such a fascinating draft, real drama. Yesterday, a buddy of mine texted me that Tambellini told the media that the player Edmonton would choose had been consistently at or near the top of their board all year long. The funny thing is, buddy and I concluded that meant two different things. Funny what your point of view can do to a quote.

I think the defensemen are ranked close to each other, so a trade down is possible. The Russian is out there and every ranking has him at the top, so that is the best bet.  All spring, we’ve heard rumors and whispers about Ryan Murray and then later Griffin Reinhart. It may come to nothing; Oilers could draft Yakupov #1 overall and we’ll never know.

I’ve been following this team for 40 years and they have some predictable patterns.  If I were forced to guess, it would be Ryan Murray #1, with the clear preference being trading out and grabbing Reinhart instead.

This was close for the scouts, folks. I’d bet a lot of money on it.

In honor of the scouts, and their miles and miles of miles and miles, here’s one of my favorite songs.

365 Responses to "DRAFT 2012 DAY ONE: ALL WILL BE REVEALED"

Newer Comments »

Yay its Christmas day!!!

I hope I get the present that I want.

I’ll be happy with the present that I get,

I still think v4.0 might do some business with Snow as one of Murray or Reinhart will be there.

It’s funny you mention Christmas. I’ve been trying to find a way in my mind to figure out what Nail yakupov IS to the Oilers. Not just the management, but the team and even the fans.

I’ve decided he’s the air rifle in A Christmas Story. :-)

4. Bad Seed says:

Instead we’ll get Murray & it’ll feel like a pair of socks.

Article in Boston Globe this morning has BOS looking hard at Samuelsson at 24.

From the article:

“He had a real strong playoff,’’ Chiarelli said. “I really like his strength. I like his shot. I like the way he protects the puck. He’s a prototypical power forward.’’

I’ve decided he’s the air rifle in A Christmas Story.

Haha! And Tambellini is Ralphy’s Mom?

7. Bad Seed says:

Interesting quote by Tambellini to Matheson in today’s journal when he mentioned Petry as part of the core the new guy would be joining.

Woodguy: Haha! And Tambellini is Ralphy’s Mom?

Yeah, or the kid who licks the pole.

Bad Seed:
    Instead we’ll get Murray & it’ll feel like a pair of socks.

As soon as I read that I saw Tambellini in a Charlie Brown ghost costume looking in his bag and saying “all I got was a rock”

I know its rock and not sock (as well as Halloween and not Christmas), but v4.0 as a Charlie Brown comp might be correct.

10. Henry says:

Hey LT, I want to say thanks to you and the others here for all your work put into draft research. I don’t get to see the juniors and get most of my info here and with Willis. Much appreciated.

11. bookje says:

Love the BB gun reference.

If the Oilers don’t take Nail, it’s because they think he won’t fit in well in the dressing room culture I suspect (something they have prioritized over the rebuild). I think that they are likely wrong if they presume that. It’s difficult to predict who will ‘fit in’ and who won’t.

I still think that they will take Nail and we have all been dancing to the song and dance for the last six weeks.

Last year was pretty fun to watch for a 29th place team (note- I fast forwarded through the parts when RNH, Eberle, and Hall were not on the ice). Add a year of experience to that group and a Nail and this year might be terrifically fun. Hopefully they land the other Schultz so they have a complete set.

12. sliderule says:

Please oilers if you are going to pick Murray trade the pick for Yandle.
    Yandle is a smaller D like Murray but the difference is he does bring offense.

13. DBO says:

Confirmation we are drafting Yakupov. This from Eklund:

I am hearing Yakupov only has about a 20% chance of being an Oiler. The plan is to either move the pick, or select a different player… Also hearing the Jackets don’t want to draft Nail either…meaning if Edmonton can’t move the pick, Yakupov could slide to Montreal at 3.

So Yakupov it is. i can breathe easier now. Get Shultz, get Yakupov, and if Grigorenko drops past 10th then hopefully Tambo can put a prospect and pick think together to move up and Grigs as well. that would be a nice russian gamble, but boy could it pay off.

14. bookje says:

Iwouldn’t completely rule out a trade. Guys like Burke are out there and anything is possible

15. jonrmcleod says:

Wouldn’t Yakupov more likely be the fans’ Red Ryder BB gun, not the Oilers’? The fans desperately want Yak, but maybe if/when we get him the naysayers will be right and he’ll “shoot our eyes out.” However, I’m in favor of taking Yak. Regardless, the Oilers should be getting an excellent young player.

Jon: Yes.
    Henry: thanks for the kind words, but the real key to this blog is in the comments section. It’s like a big coffee shop filled with people who have strong opinions. We kind of whittle issues down and then reach agreement. Without firing a shot.

In theory.

The Oilers are Taylor’s team.

Be careful what you wish for. “A house divided against itself…”, too many chiefs (or cooks), and all that. The best team wins.

The Oilers risk sowing the seeds of their own destruction today by being greedy, instead of disciplined.

Bohologo:
    Надежда умирает последней.

Russian saying: hope dies last.

My hope is the geniuses don’t crap the bed.But they will.

Мы надеялись на лучшее, но получилось как всегда.

That last quote is fucking brilliant. Absolutely the best phrase in history.

19. tsunami says:

Bohologo:
    Надежда умирает последней.

Russian saying: hope dies last.

My hope is the geniuses don’t crap the bed.But they will.

Мы надеялись на лучшее, но получилось как всегда.

Awesome :)

20. DBO says:

jonrmcleod,

One of my favourite movies. So when do we as Oilers fans (Ralphie) snap and beat up the bully Scut Farkus (Tambo)? I think it happens if the draft goes poorly, and we don’t address the needs in the off season, with Smyth leaving, no new Dmen cause Tambo wants to “give the kids a chance compete for a spot”., and talk about how Bulin will compete for the starters job and play well since he’s playing for another contract. He was our MVP for a few years ya know.

Spending way too much time reading every possible blog about this draft. A few worrisome things have cropped up. It may very well be local team media types spinning things for the team, but more then a few have mentioned Yakupov’s ego and attitude as a bad thing, with the Columbus crew comparing him to Zherdev. I think he’d fit with our young confident lads, but with all of Tambo’s talk of leadership, attitude and fitting in, when talking about the pick I really do wonder if it’s Murray.

Fuck me I have no idea who they take. Burke said it best yesterday on TSN (hurt to write that), all 30 teams top 5 would probably be different.

21. bookje says:

We should all keep that bar of soap ready while we are watching the draft. We may be required to stick it in our mouth for a significant period of time at some point.

I’ve got my secret decoder ring all ready.

I say that we nickname whomever the Oilers draft ‘Ralphie’.

Bohologo: I nearly agree. It strikes me as more of a pub (the waitresses are phenomenal looking); some guy is making suggestions on how to mix drinks, some guys are already drunk when they show up, there inside jokes only to regulars, and there’s always a good crowd on game night.

This. Spot on. The Devil is tending bar.

23. hunter1909 says:

This “article” very much like the state of Catherine Zeta-Jones’s face lately – unrecognisable.

What is this, a Leafs forum? Where the BB trading away Leafs future for Phil Kessel is rationalised, simply because there’s fuck all else for anyone left to say?

Oilers are standing at the brink of either making history(pick the overwhelmingly agreed number one pick)…or else RETURNING OILER FANS TO THE HELL OF 2003/ 2006/2007.

Nothing left to cheer for, if they’re dumb enough to try pulling the Pouliot over Parise stunt a second time – because folks, this guarantees the “brains” running the organisation haven’t learned a thing from their litany of blundering, nor ever are likely to.

BTW, Good luck(in advance) to you fans, if they don’t pick Yakupov.

24. Traktor says:

20 posts by 7 AM lol. Gunna be a long day.

Hunter: THAT was your best post. Ever.

26. uni says:

It’s Christmas Day alright, and dear old dad won the gift you’ve wanted all year (after a horrible horrible year by any standard) in a raffle. And after this gift lands in his lap, he starts muttering about trading it to another dad for some different gifts cause he doesn’t like made in Russia etc.

Now instead of the eager anticipation you’re spending Christmas morning before the gifts are opened worried about what you’ll see when you unwrap that present sitting under the tree all neat with a bow. Sure it’ll probably be something nice, but it’s not what you wanted, and it’s not the best gift you know was available.

hunter1909:

“It was the best of times,
    it was the worst of times,
    it was the age of wisdom,
    it was the age of foolishness,
    it was the epoch of belief,
    it was the epoch of incredulity,
    it was the season of Light,
    it was the season of Darkness,
    it was the spring of hope,
    it was the winter of despair,
    we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way— in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.”

28. hunter1909 says:

Bohologo,

Sadly, Russian philosophy probably doesn’t wash in hicks-ville.

29. nelson88 says:

- Draft Nail.

- Use some combination of 2013 1st, Hemsky, Gagner, Omark, 2012 2nd rounder to move up and draft Galynchuk or Faksa or a quality D that has fallen (there are enough of them that one will have to fall). Let them develop for a year or two in junior/minors if need be.

- Sign Justin Schultz (I think this is a strong possibility particularly if they take a F 1st overall)

- Sign Petry, Smid and DD to reasonably priced 3 – 4 year deals.

- Make a smart coaching hire.

Great summer and the foundation for a stanley cup challenger is all the more solid.

30. uni says:

hunter1909:
    Bohologo,

Sadly, Russian philosophy probably doesn’t wash in hicks-ville.

Apparently neither does Russian Ice Hockey Players.

31. DBO says:

If it’s Yakupov, then they better round up the 4 horsemen along with the Old dudes running this team and fly to Kelowna on Sunday and start courting Shultz. Hookers, blow and all the lads running wild. Do whatever it takes. This is like a college recruiting trip where the stud athlete shows up at campus, they have his name on the scoreboard and some “random” hot chick picks him up at a “random” party. Make the kid feel special.

Those two players make us better right now. And while Staples has already done a [ost on why Yandle isn’t as good as thought, he would instantly be one of our best dmen. So csome combo to get him and we are on our way to great summer. Oh, i dreamed a dream that never was…

Lowetide: This. Spot on. The Devil is tending bar.

Hbomb is the devil?

Dam straight. His “suggestions” ruined my liver. Again!

34. regwald says:

I scrolled all the way down this blog and I still can’t see the rest of the Catherine Zeta-Jones picture ? Did I do it too fast ? or too slow … WOW ! what a great pic !

In other news Tencer tweeted the feel in Pitts is the Oilers take Murray – no inside scoop, just the scuttlebutt there.

Just say it ain’t so Joe, say it ain’t so ….

Regwald: When you click on the main story, click directly on the ZJ photo. It’ll give you an option to increase the size of the photo. She’s just lovely.

36. rich says:

Here’s hoping that when they finally make the first pick that we don’t feel like Ralphy’s dad when his wife dropped the bowling ball in his lap.

The anticipation today is going to be something. Every time I want to hope that this team is ready to make a quantam leap forward, there’s that little sense that we’re going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Tencer’s tweet just makes me feel a little more uneasy.

37. bookje says:

Bohologo: Russian

Well, I ‘ll take your word for it as you can probably see Russia from your house.

If they do take Murray, I think the conversation had to surround how to build the foundation. I wrote about there here http://oilersnation.com/2012/4/23/completing-the-fab-four

Still a long way to go (well, a few hours) but that’s my thought.

39. franksterra says:

Lowetide: This. Spot on. The Devil is tending bar.

Waits on piano. Ry Cooder on guitar. Neko Case vocals.

40. bookje says:

Still a long way to go (well, a few hours) but that’s my thought.

What time is the draft starting and where is the best online place to follow it. I will be in meetings, but will have my Ipad well shielded from others.

41. pboy says:

I think Tambo would be that “leg” lamp.

42. gd says:

Random things on my mind right now:

Wasn’t the Oilers biggest mistake in 2003 that they didn’t take Getzlaf at 17 if size was a need?

Would Yandle and Hanzal for the 1st be doable, with whatever fill ins necessary? Phoenix somehow made the semifinals and they only have three guys I would trade for. (Boedker is basically PRV, Gormley is a similar level prospect to Klefbom, Rundblad looks too high risk)

I just saw clips of Justin Schultz and boy is he skinny for a 22 yr old NHL D man. I still hope we sign him, but I do wish I knew what went wrong with Anaheim and I hope they don’t make promises to him that would offend the rest of the team. I do worry that Wisconsin wasn’t a very good team and his stats stagnated this year.

Today feels like Christmas day, except we’ve been told we have to wait until 5 to open our presents and Dad is at the track, which could affect the quality of our presents. I am not getting much work done today.

I will consider next year a success if I don’t know the top 10 draft list off by heart by January.

43. hunter1909 says:

Bohologo: 1) I’m from a small town in the Territories, so I’m as hick you get.
    2) This isn’t really philosophy, it’s just a couple of well-used Russian sayings that provide a bit of a mirror into the Russian soul (romantic but cynical, somehow). I’ll leave it to Chekov, Pushkin & Tolstoy for the philosophy.

Philosophy is in those sayings as surely as Hank Williams ever told a story. Practical, it’s called.

44. hunter1909 says:

LOL I went to a high powered meeting right after reading Lowetide’s high praises.

Then, wasted as much time as possible, while hoping others would come in and save me from having to do anything much.

45. nathan says:

“We hoped for the best, but it turned out like always.”

You just know Tambellini is the Old Man. He’s won the lottery. And he’ll end up with a freaking lamp.

46. uni says:

Bookie, the draft starts at 7PM EST, 5PM MST, and 4PM PST. So unless you’re on Pacific time or meeting after work hours you shouldn’t have to worry about clandestine viewing.

TSN has the draft live on their mobile TV with Bell. Otherwise I’d just search around for a live feed I suppose.

47. uni says:

You’re in luck Bookie, check the wiziwig site an hour before the draft for streams:

48. DBO says:

with all the injury concerns for yak (and almost all the top kids), he should come with an Italian stamp : FRAGILE

49. regwald says:

Tencer just tweeted that he an Stauffer are saying Murray is the guy.

50. Rondo says:

People would like to fix all the Oilers problems today. Trade that ,pick this, get that it just does not work

that way. Oilers are not a playoff team they have time to work on their deficiencies. There is always

going to be next years draft .

51. uni says:

Rondo, I never believe the Oilers are going to fix everything. I always fully expect to be in the Lottery at the start of every season. All the draft and free agency do is affirm that belief.

52. Oilander says:

LOL! Exciting isn’t it? I hope Dad wins or we’ll have to pour another cup of water in the wiener soup!

53. Doug McLachlan says:

regwald: Tencer just tweeted that he an Stauffer are saying Murray is the guy.

Bohologo: Надежда умирает последней.Russian saying: hope dies last.My hope is the geniuses don’t crap the bed. But they will. Мы надеялись на лучшее, но получилось как всегда.Attributed to Chernomyrdin: We hoped for the best, but it turned out like always.

Jumping between this and my Twitter feed can really mess one up. My RealTimeWWII tweets get rolled in with my various hockey tweets and I feel a strange sense of dread that Tambo is about to sign an Armistice that gives up Yakupov, one of the kids and leaves us open to Calgary sinking our fleet in port lest they fall into the hands of Burke.

54. Braintrust says:

It’s nice to see that Jonathan Willis agrees with what I posted yesterday regarding what Tambellini should do. Here is the quote:

“A case in point is the current Sam Gagner rumour making the rounds. According to the rumour, the Carolina Hurricanes would trade Edmonton the eighth overall pick straight across for Gagner.

That eighth overall pick is a valuable piece; a piece I would argue represents fair value for Gagner. Additionally, it would allow the Oilers to pick Nail Yakupov at the top of the draft and supplement him with either a strong centre (perhaps Mikahial Grigorenko) or to land one of the draft’s top defenders – not Ryan Murray, but a Reinhart or a Dumba or a Rielly or a Trouba. The appeal to that deal is obvious.”

Yes, the appeal is obvious indeed. It represents the second part of my plan that I would carry out if I were GM. It’s all about UPgrading the talent level on our team. I love Sam Gagner as a player….ever since he played for the London Knights. I even said we should draft him (at the time) which we obviously did. However, now has come the time to flip that asset to better the team. We need to reduce the “Smurf Players” and increase the amount of larger and stronger (yet talented) players on the Oilers. Thank you Sam for all that you have done, but buddy, we should now part ways and I would wish you well in Carolina.

Again, I would use that #8 pick to take probably Faksa, Trouba or Reinhart (whomever is available). The preference would probably be for Faksa since he is a high-end centre to replace Gagner, but I would love to have either one of those two D-men as well. That is why I proposed my final part of the 3 part process:

#1 -> Draft Yakupov (creates a group of forwards that will strike fear into every goalie in the league);.

#2 -> Draft Faksa (UPgrades the second line centre position significantly); and

#3) -> Package our 2nd round pick and other assets to Tampa Bay for their 10th overall pick to try and get the best defenceman that is left.

With this plan you have:

1) Created further balance up front re: Elite level forwards;

2) Upgraded the second line centre position greatly; and

3) ALSO added a high-end defenceman that our team needs in the worst way.

That means ALL THREE areas of need will have been addressed. Stage #1 is easy. Stage #2 is already there for the taking and a done deal from Carolina. All Tambo needs is a little creativity to put a package together to satisfy Tampa and PRESTO!….You have a far superior team than last year, and that is without considering the possibility of adding someone like Justin Schultz or anyone else via a trade etc.

The moral of this story is that being a General Manager is much like making decisions in life. A great example would be investing your money. Sometimes, it is better to cash in a decent investment and put the proceeds into something with greater potential for a greater return than play it safe and never get ahead in life. That is what separates the smart and successful people from those that never get too far. The smart ones take “Educated/Smart Risks” while others do not. Let’s see what kind of GM Tambellini really is. It all starts tonight.

55. Rondo says:

regwald,

Redline “Defensemen rule draft class, but no stars”

“But even among the acknowledged strength of this draft, while there is very good depth, there is very little marquee, star quality to the top guys. In fact, we don’t see a true No. 1 blue-liner emerging out of this year’s crop. While a kid like Ryan Murray might have great value as a smooth-skating, savvy shutdown defender who can move the puck and will be a captain in the league for 10 years, his style of play is more along the lines of a Kevin Lowe or a Glen Wesley rather than a Paul Coffey.”

Now it makes sense Lowe wants Lowe

56. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,

Well that ius damn depressing. I was hoping Bobbie Mac was right and Samuelsson would fall to the second round so the Oilers could pick him.

57. justDOit says:

So does Yandle and the 27th pick sound like a good start for the 1st? Phoenix might have to add something to that deal (Brule?), but they are supposedly taking offers for Yandle in exchange for offensive help.

58. eidy says:

Last few years I read a blog which adds up all the rankings for a cumulative score. It showed that if you picked someone more than 10 away from the consensus that you were likely making a mistake. Similar to the NHL numbers consensus and what Bruce did at cult of hockey. I thought it was speeds that had it but can’t find it this year.

I will be disappointed if they don’t choose yakupov

59. pboy says:

Kevin Durant said something last night that really registered with me. He was asked if there was any consolation in the fact that OKC had lost a lot of games in his first couple of years there and now they had made it to the Finals. He said that “They hadn’t been losing but learning how to win”.

I hope that Gagner, Smid, Dubnyk, Hall, Eberle, RNH, MPS and Hemsky haven’t been losing these last 5 years but learning how to win. Same goes for this management team.

60. fuzzy muppet says:

If They take Murray, you can kiss Schultz goodbye. They’re gonna screw this up….

61. RENNAVATE says:

I know the draft starts at 5pm MST tonight, but when will the first pick actually be made? At 6? I need to know when I need to leave work this afternoon…

Also, this is my first post here. Hi, guys (and gals, if any hang out here)!

62. Maverick says:

Today feels like Christmas day as a kid, home with a head cold (in the middle of summer? what’s up with that!? anyways), excited to open my big present under the tree, choice of either ripping the wrapping paper off like a mad man or nicely remove the wrapping paper to be used next year, as I open the present the though of sugar plums dance in my head, hoping for that shiny new toy car that goes fast and hours of fun and enjoyment for years to come, as I open the box the room goes silent I close my eyes to make it even more exciting and as I open my eyes…….underwear and socks! :-(

This Draft day might just be Christmas day as a kid all over again today for me, hoping for the exciting shiny new car to bring smiles and laughs and fun in the Oilers drafting either Yakupov or Galchenyuk and all we get his good old dependable underwear and socks that will provide support and daily use for a long time, that would be the Oilers drafting Ryan Murray.

I really hope it is the head cold throwing me off today and not the gut feeling I have that the Oilers will play it safe and fix today’s roster needs with dependable underwear and socks.

63. eidy says:

There is going to be intense pressure/scrutiny on whomever they pick if they pass on yakupov. 90% of oilers fans say yakupov, every draft ranking says yakupov…..

If it’s Murray at one the comparisons will be present their entire career. Lots of pressure on a kid playing a very difficult role.

Also, if the general feeling is we will likely get Schultz in the Edmonton media, wouldnt that mitigate defense as an area of need.

Finally, if Toonces wants immediate results, you would think that he would draft the player that would make an immediate impact.

Strange days indeed

64. fuzzy muppet says:

Only the Oilers are dumb enough to rely on an 18 year old to “fix” the defense.

So MacKinnon or Jones??

65. Ribs says:

I like the plug-and-play idea that goes with Murray. Sure, you can insert him right into your lineup….He won’t be very good…But he’ll tread water all day!.

Super.

66. gd says:

pboy:

I feel safe in saying Hall, RNH, Eberle and Smid are learning how to win and only Smid has been around longer than two years. The others aren’t as important and it is for management to figure out who is a winner and who needs to go.

Doing all this draft research I went back on RNH’s 2010-11 and I forgot how great he was, especially after being cut for the WJC. That’s a pretty mediocre Red Deer team he led to first place in his 17 yr old season. That’s why I think him losing the Calder might be for the best. I see him averaging 2 pts a game against Colorado for the rest of his career. I love that he is a quiet, unassuming guy with the “eye of the tiger”.

67. rich says:

fuzzy muppet: Only the Oilers are dumb enough to rely on an 18 year old to “fix” the defense.So MacKinnon or Jones??

Well said sir.

68. tubes says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Only the Oilers are dumb enough to rely on an 18 year old to “fix” the defense.

So MacKinnon or Jones??

JONES!!!

Murray might not be as bad as he sounds. Would you rather have a Phil Kessel or a Chris Phillips with better vision, passing and skating? Sure Kessel will score you 40+ goals a year, with a bad attitude, but come playoffs, Phillips is the guy you want on your team.

Just looking at it glass half full…I want them to trade down and take Reinhart personally.

69. uni says:

I don’t know how to rhyme with MacKinnon, but he’s the one. Tambo is already salivating to say “With the 2013 1st overall pick, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select…”

70. rickithebear says:

Klefbom is two months older. than murray
    Is being discussed in the swedish community in the next great allround……..

71. fuzzy muppet says:

tubes,

I have no problem with Murray. What I have a problem with is taking Murray #1.

The Oilers clearly don’t understand value if they draft Murray at 1.

I really wanted to believe that they did when MacT came out say a GM’s supposed to understand the concept of value.

This management team has made me so damn negative and I resent them. They haven’t even taken Murray yet but I’m positive the dopes in charge will do the wrong thing.

72. GordM says:

I hate to say this…but I’m starting to warm up to the Murray/Reinhart talk. If there’s one thing I believe all us Oiler Fans can agree on….drama has a way of surfacing with this team. While Yakupov is saying all the right things, leave it up to the Oilers to do something to make the “Russian Factor” an actual factor with him.

Would preferred to have seen this team show the stones of paying the price to get Schultz’ rights…flying the crew out to see him on the Katz Bat-Jet…sign him…then draft the winger without looking back knowing you’ve got the young blueliner added.

73. SoxandOil says:

Today is going to be a long day. I’ve been up for 5 hours and it’s not even 10.

Thought about doing a mock first 10, so far Yakupov at 1 and nine question marks.

Also Gagner’s name is everywhere, hope the juice is worth the squeeze.

74. justDOit says:

uni:
    I don’t know how to rhyme with MacKinnon, but he’s the one.Tambo is already salivating to say “With the 2013 1st overall pick, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select…”

No winnin’ for MacKinnon?

75. tubes says:

fuzzy muppet:
    tubes,

I have no problem with Murray.What I have a problem with is taking Murray #1.

The Oilers clearly don’t understand value if they draft Murray at 1.

Couldn’t agree more. You don’t take Murray at #1 but you NEED a stud dman. If you take Yak at #1, you have to trade one of the young guys for an established #1/2 dman in a couple years.

If you’re a part of the Oilers’ braintrust, does having a Murray/Reinhart make you a better team in 5 years than a Yakapov.. Maybe?

76. franksterra says:

If we pick Murray at #1. with no tradsies, Yak will be jumped on like, like, a big piece of pie. Burke or someone will cough up to move up, and we will not receive any extra assets at all from not taking the consensus #1 – CBJ or Mtl will.

77. DBO says:

At this point, with MPS not showing the offense but being a player with size and two way ability, would anyone be OK with packaging him with our 2nd to move back into the top 10 of this years draft? Would Anaheim consider it at 6? Should be a solid dman still there at 6, and Anaheim gets a top 6 player for them to play on the all Europe line with Koivu and Selanne (which would make me sad cause I believe MPS would flourish on that line).

78. Ducey says:

I keep thinking that all this Murray talk is to put pressure on Howson to give up something to trade up. I see Howson said yesterday that he specifically would not trade up, but might trade down – his way of calling Tambo’s bluff.

Tambo is trying to convince Howson that he is going to take Murray, who the Jackets want. He is hoping he gets something out of the Jackets, move to #2 and then he takes Yakupov anyway.

The crazy thing is that if the Oilers don’t take him, Yakupov could fall to fifth. CLB doesn’t want him, MTL needs a big C, NYI want D. Yakupov isn’t a great fit in TO, but Burke will be able to run around saying he stole Yakupov.

If I am wrong and Stu really does like Murray the best – I am good with it. I have not seen either of these guys play so its hard to get worked up about it.

79. DBO says:

Side note. Solid move for Columbus if it’s not much going to Philly:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
    Hearing Bobrovsky to Columbus for draft picks. Working on details.

80. Gerta Rauss says:

Jesus..I just hope I don’t wind up like Darren Mcgavin, in the basement swearing at the furnace.

81. fuzzy muppet says:

tubes,

I would love if they did something crazy like acquiring an actual Nhl defenseman

82. spoiler says:

rickithebear: Klefbom is two months older. than murrayIs being discussed in the swedish community in the next great allround……..Klefbom outclassed murray who was outplayed by musil, marincin, geranat as well.There is not a chance scouts can think murray is on the oilers before this group.

Murray played the Juniors with a high ankle sprain, IIRC.

83. GordM says:

Has Tambellini ever congratulated the Stanley Cup winner before making the first overall pick (wasn’t this typically the deal with previous GMs before the Oilers took over the annual tradition of starting the draft)?

84. Captain Obvious says:

Tencer and Stauffer just predicted the Oilers will take Murray.

Also, per Dellow, Murray’s brother thinks he’s going to be spending more time in Alberta soon.

85. DBO says:

GordM,

I think now they just thank the city that hosts the draft.

Hope Tambo goes crazy and makes a move to get 2 top 10 picks. And on another note, anyone know if Galchenyuk is NHL ready next year to play in the NHL?

86. justDOit says:

GordM,

“I would like to congratulate all the players we’ve given up on for winning the Stanley Cup this year.”

87. DBO says:

Best draft day ever:

-Tambellini steps up to podium, music comes crashing in, tears off suit and is wearing a Kings jersey, Lombardi coming on stage to hug him and Katz and Lowe wild eyed and confused. Evil Genius!

88. rickithebear says:

spoiler: Murray played the Juniors with a high ankle sprain, IIRC

Riiiiight!

And grigorenko had Mono.

I get you!

wink! wink!

89. Ribs says:

Dreger tweet…

Hearing Bobrovsky to Columbus for draft picks. Working on details.

90. rickithebear says:

So we are to pay a #2-3 dman 3.8M on his EL

Christ !

Smid and petry just became 5M dmen.

Hall, RNH, Eberle will not have to accept tavares range contracys 5.25-5.5.
    they can ask for P.kane 6.25-6.5

91. oilersfan says:

I want to preface this comment by saying that i really want the oilers to take Yakupov and if I were the GM I would.

I have written posts here about how I think Yakupov is being undervalued in the market, and that he is likely to be a 40 goal scorer several times in his career. Obviously, 40 goal scorers are hard to find, they are rare and valuable. I also love the idea of Yakupov being the ying to Hall’s yang, and if it were me they would be on different lines as they would create space for their linemates and create havoc for the opposition to defend.

That all being said, if the Oilers pick Murray, I am trying to look at the positives/reasons for this.

for one thing, my biggest concern, by a mile, on Yakupov is not his KHL risk but his injury risk. He was injured 4 times last year and clearly played hurt after the WJHC. i have been against drafting Dumba because he reminds me of Brule, and I wonder if Yak won’t have that problem playing against the Shea Webers and new versions of Robin Regehr. He plays like Hall but initiates more contact. People have compared him to Bure. How many times did Bure miss 60 games with a knee or leg or whatever injury?

We have seen Hall and how he has already missed a lot of games due to injury. I think the concern with Yak is even more pronounced.

In addition, Yak seems like a bit of a wingnut. all kidding aside, I am not sure wingnnuts win that much. or at least, they are not the player that creates the winning. He may score a lot, and that is important, but will he be able to score against good defensive teams like LA and Nashville?

As for Murray…we have seen him compared to the following players: Scott Niedermayer, Nik Lidstrom, Ray Bourque, Mark Howe, Glen Wesley, Chris Phillips and Kevin Lowe. Now, I think anybody here would be very happy if he turned out like any of the first four, and disappointed that we passed on Yak if he turns out to be the last three. What if he is “in the range” of all of them, some sort of hybrid who scores 35-45 points, plays 28 minutes on the pk/pp, is on the ice to close out close wins, and is plus 25 each year for 15 years and is the Oilers’ assistant captain? Is that so bad?

I know all the arguments for taking the forwards, and I would prefer Yak AND Galy over Murray. But if they draft Murray I don’t want to be angry and cry all night if we get the hybrid player described above.

92. rich says:

Ducey it would be nice (pressure Howson), but I don’t see the upside for him to trade up to #1 to get Murray. They are in the same boat in that they’ve got so many holes to fill that no one player is going to make a huge difference – w/the possible exception of goalie.

Consequetly, if the Oilers take Murray, I can see them trading down w/Burke in Toronto to get another player plus the #5 pick if they don’t want to run the risk w/a Russian.

The only way I’m good w/Murray is if it’s part of them also trading something to get another pick in the top 10. Otherwise, the way things are setting up we really are looking at another long winter of hockey.

I think the dogs just came in and ate the Christmas turkey.

93. pboy says:

DBO,

I think…….yes it is…………that’s Tambo’s music!!!

94. oilersfan says:

Jeff Marek was on the Fan in calgary this morning (you can hear it in your car if 1260 is on commercial. 960 on the AM dial) and he said he thought the Oilers could get Yandle + for the first overall.

I would do that. Maybe Yandel plus this year’s first (i think at 28) for the Oilers’ first?

95. DBO says:

pboy,
    My God, my God, he just smashed a chair over Kevin Lowe’s bald head. He kicked Katz’ kid off the stage.

96. bill needle says:

I think I got the reason why the Oilers will take Murray. Tambo has figured out he can’t trade up from where the Oilers are drafting to take Yakupov.

97. pboy says:

He’s been working for the Kings the whole time. Oh, the Humanity!

98. Ducey says:

Captain Obvious: I’ll say it here and now. Ryan Murray is officially my least favourite hockey player in the world. If he plays on the Oilers I will boo him until the day I die.

Lose perspective much?

99. DBO says:

And the Brobovsky deal is the 45th pick, plus 2 others from Columbus. So much for Nash to Philly.

So Nash to Rangers, Ryan to Philly, Luongo to Toronto. And Toronto will still suck

100. Captain Obvious says:

oilersfan:

I would do that. Maybe Yandel plus this year’s first (i think at 28)for the Oilers’ first?

That would be a bad trade (unless the + was really good) however, it would be better than drafting Murray straight up.

101. Maverick says:

DBO:
    GordM,

I think now they just thank the city that hosts the draft.

I’ve been a big Galchenyuk follower for some time and because of the loss of the year due to injury another season in Sarnia would be the best choice for him. When he excels in junior in 2012-2013 he will make the teams that did not choose him look very foolish. If the Oilers step out of the box and take the risk and choose Galchenyuk I for one, would not be disappointed.

102. franksterra says:

Rich i don’t see how we can trade down any further than 3rd if it’s Murray they are committed to.

I’m trying to get into an “it’s Murray. ok.” mindset. To be honest the past three years i’ve generally felt that the biggest move isn’t choosing Hall v. Seguin, or Nuge v. Landeskog/Larsson, it’s the trades, signings and lower picks that will tell the tale. if the moves this summer are Murray, Smyth, and say Konopka, then we know we are in the direst trouble. If it’s Murray and Girgensons or Samuelsson or Faksa, and Yandle or Hanzal, or M. Staal or Boyle, or a JVR, a Bolland or Hjarlmarsson, maybe a Moen, Moore or Stempniak, then there is some light. It’s hard to imagine though.

103. Maverick says:

DBO:

Another goalie off the market. Just Luongo left.

Oh wait there is another, his GM calls him a MVP and is still available, has a DUI on this record though.

Nah, nevermind. :-P

104. hunter1909 says:

DBO,

Kevin Lowe is not bald.

105. uni says:

I’m actually sorta partial to trading to Carolina for the 8th if Grigorenko can be had there. MPS would be the start of a good package for that, as much as I like the kid.

1st shouldn’t be in play unless something ridiculous comes up. If Burke flips his nuts and offers Kulemin + Gardiner + 5th + 36th I mean why not? Otherwise Nail it is.

106. hunter1909 says:

Hilarious how these morons truly believe that by passing on Yakupov, they’re somehow doing the right thing, in the face of monumental disagreement from the overwhelming majority of hockey fans.

This is shaping up to become the Phil Kessel trade moment for the “MacT Nightmare Team”.

The best thing is to ignore this insane message board until they really do show which direction the Katz franchise is headed. So, I’m off to a bar to watch baseball.

107. rich says:

Franksterra, I would suggest it is possible Murray could fall to 5.

Montreal is not going to take a d-man at 3 as they need help/size up front and so that then leaves you with the always unpredictable NYIslanders. They could take Murray or they could go with Griffin Reinhart.

108. oilersfan says:

I want the Oilers to hire David Staples and Bruce to be their Mgmt team. We would be better real fast, guaranteed.

I wonder if anybody in the Oilers’ scouting department listening to the WHL head scout Bob Brown (Rob Brown’s dad) remembers the quote from the 2009 draft, third round pick “Bob really fought hard for him, pounded the fist that we HAD to take him in the third round”. That pick was Cam Abney.

Good thing he has Stu’s ear and has apparently convinced him Murray is better than Yakupov.

Brownlee at ON today has Stu saying that Yakupov will definitely be a top 6 forward.

That to me is the nail in the coffin. we are taking Murray :(

109. TheOtherJohn says:

Most telling evidence not taking Yakupov: no team sponsored draft party. We pick first and there is no draft party. Lowe did not want TSN to cut to Oiler DP and have boos cascade through room

Smartest guys in the room …. (Insert sarcasm)

110. Rondo says:

Interesting that Craig Button has Ryan Murray ranked #13.

He has 7 D-men ahead of Murray.

111. sliderule says:

Picking number one cam make it look like you know what you are doing.

I think generally this group knows that it was just a matter of time until they even screw that up.

Today is the day.

112. oilersfan says:

sliderule,

Hey sliderule

Is it that genius Bob Brown you keep referring to regarding scouts who don’t like Yak but love Murray?

Well hey, he picked Cam Abney how can we go wrong with his suggestions?

113. DBO says:

hunter1909,

Um. OK, huge combover then.

114. oilersfan says:

and let’s not forget, he was in on riley Nash and Alex Plante, along with Stu the mediocre Bastard.

I think mediocre might get downgraded if they pick Murray over Yak today.

Magnificent to Mediocre to Mush? or how about Moronic?

115. Truth says:

Posted this at ON as well, doesn’t look good for the Oil taking the BPA

116. DSF says:

Maverick: Another goalie off the market.Just Luongo left.

Nah, nevermind.

Jonathan Bernier is apparently also being shopped.

117. Downright Fierce says:

Well I think we all know exactly how much hair Hunter has…

That wrestling stuff is pure gold. The Christmas stuff, too.

You guys see my ‘Twas The Night Before… parody?

118. uni says:

Truth: TRUTH says:
    June 22, 2012 at 11:48 am
    Posted this at ON as well, doesn’t look good for the Oil taking the BPA

If Hall and Stranglehold had no idea they were going 1st overall until the Oilers called their names, how likely is it the Oilers have let Murray and his brother in on what they plan to do?

119. sliderule says:

Oilers fan
    It wasn’t Brown it was the other WHL scout .I am sure he reflects WHL scouts thoughts.

I wasn’t bothered by the beating of the drum for Murray it was the baseless knock on Yak.

If you think your guy is better give your reasons why he is good rather than say things like the other guy stays on the ice too long.

120. Truth says:

uni,

Agreed, I sure hope that is the case. The guy risks looking like a fool, but that’s his own prerogative I suppose.

121. Ducey says:

Rondo: Interesting that Craig Button has Ryan Murray ranked #13.He has 7 D-men ahead of Murray.

He also had Hedman over Tavares as the #1 in 2009 (with MPS 5th).

122. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Downright Fierce,

Awesome.

123. uni says:

Ducey,

To be fair, there were a number of people including me that liked Hedman better than Tavares. It’s not over yet, and Hedman is a very good 2 defenceman now, that could still reach franchise monster defenceman status that makes that TSN asshat weak in the knees.

124. Ribs says:

Hedman>Murray. Countdown to beer time on.

125. spoiler says:

No action from Bra and Panties today?

126. spoiler says:

Ribs: Hedman>Murray. Countdown to beer time on.

So if they don’t take Nail, you’re getting hammered?

127. nathan says:

spoiler,

If the draft Yak I’m having a beer and then I’m having another.
    If they don’t I’m starting right in at another.

128. Ribs says:

spoiler,

Hehe, nice. I’ll need something to calm the nerves if Murray is the pick. In Stu I trust, but that would be a lot to take.

Instead, I plan to raise a cold one to the newest Edmonton Oiler – Nail Yakupov

129. ashley says:

130. russ99 says:

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, the Oilers brass “Will Be Showered With Praise” or “Will Be Taunted And Booed Until My Throat Is Sore.” depending on the outcomes tonight.

131. Traktor says:

“Klefbom is as good as Murray.”

- Button

132. Ducey says:

ashley: It sounds like they could get Bouwmeester for #32. Instead, they are going to take an 18 year old project at #1 that may not even end up as good as Bouwmeester, and if he does, it may be 5 years or more before he gets there?I can’t see it. As a defenseman, Murray is well outside the cluster they have assembled.

I don’t know if things have changed today but I can’t see JBo waiving his NTC to come to his hometown. He had said earlier in his career that he didn’t want the pressure of playing here.

133. uni says:

Traktor,

Considering Klefbom is all of 2 months older and reputedly played 18 minutes a night in the SEL playoffs this past season, I can see that.

spoiler,

The night’s not even young yet, I’ll start working on it as soon as I get off work, and just for you I’ll try my damnedest to make something happen action wise in that area with a appropriate subject.

134. Ducey says:

Traktor: “Klefbom is as good as Murray.”- Button

Is there a quota on the # of good defenseman they can have?

135. spoiler says:

Ashley, besides the questions on JBo wanting to play here, the deal of a 2nd for his services is probably being offered to all NHL teams except the Oilers, Canucks, Wild, Avs.

I don’t think Feaster will want to see JBo playing in Oiler silks 6 times a year. He’s not the kind of player you trade within your division, IMO.

You know guys, this hasn’t happened yet. Lots of things could happen before 5pm.

137. fuzzy muppet says:

Ducey,

138. Traktor says:

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec

139. Kris11 says:

No draft party. Almost every insider says they’re taking Murray.

Oh man, this looks bad. Real bad. It’s like drafting Smid (solid prospect and solid player, good character guy) instead of Bure. Is that a bad comp.? Somebody talk me down here.

My only hope now is that they like Reinhart close to as much as Murray. If they do, maybe they can trade down to 3 with Montreal and at least get something (probably not much) to ease the pain of not picking Yakupov. I mean, they’re guaranteed to get one of Reinhart or Murray at 3.

140. LP says:

Man, 147 comments and its not even 1pm yet.

Are we going to break the record today?

141. Nicholas says:

Spector tweets:

“We’ve known Griffin Reinhart is guy Oilers really like. Word now that EDM may trade down, don’t want pressure of him being No. 1.”

“Heard originally Reinhart Oil’s 2nd choice. Could be become first choice? There’s some drama here now.”

What if the ’2 players’ they were down to yesterday weren’t Yakupov/Murray, but was in fact Yakupov/Reinhart? And by extension, it’s a matter of Yakupov at 1st, or trading down to take Reinhart? Is that more palatable – assuming a reasonable asset is also acquired in the trade? That seems substantially less crazy than Murray at 1st overall.

That likely means a trade with the Islanders or Leafs, I’d have to think.

142. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Oh dear god LT… before 5!! – did you just suggest they are trading Gagner + #1 for Yandle. #morehysteria

143. Kris11 says:

At least take Yakupov, give him primo minutes and PP time, then trade him for a King’s ransom during the season.

Kris Smash! Smaaaaasssh!!!!!

144. matmik says:

Very bad feeling this won’t end well – I think they trade down with the leafs for minimal return, franzen and a 2nd (something terrible like that)

145. LoDog says:

I don’t know what I will do if they pick Murray. Well other than drink my sorrows away.

In no universe does it make sense to draft him #1. If any other name is called it better be Galchenyuk. The quotes about character , being the right person and the best player 5 years from now could just as easily apply to him.

146. Kris11 says:

Yeah, Galchenyuk is more acceptable. That’s a risk-filled, high reward pick.

Nobody thinks Reinhart and Murray are especially likely to become Doughty or Pietrangelo good. They are risky picks in that they might not become much, but I don’t see any high reward there.

147. franksterra says:

Whom the Gods Wish to Destroy, They First Make Mad.

- banner over the stage at the Console Energy Centre, Pittsburgh

148. Kris11 says:

Also, do the Oilers know that the good Canadian kid, quiet and polite “character” that they see in Murray and Reinhart was there in Pronger and Heatley when they were drafted, too. I’m glad their character and poise was such a good thing for the Oilers.

You don’t know shit about a persons character from interviews and psych tests. Not taking Yakupov is Don Cherry-style anti-Russian bias, plain and simple.

149. Cactus says:

ashley:
    It sounds like they could get Bouwmeester for #32.Instead, they are going to take an 18 year old project at #1 that may not even end up as good as Bouwmeester, and if he does, it may be 5 years or more before he gets there?

I can’t see it.As a defenseman, Murray is well outside the cluster they have assembled.

I think they’d have to be convinced that Murray was truly going to be the best player out of this draft. Maybe he will be. The problem is, Edmonton will destroy anyone but Yakupov at the #1 slot. Murray would have to come in and play like Lidstrom or Doughty immediately to avoid a shitstorm that would make what Gilbert endured seem like a light breeze.

That’s what’s getting me through all these rumours. They must know all these variables. IF they take Murray at #1, they must be so convinced of it that they’re willing to go against everyone else. I’m fine with an “us against the world” mentality, so long as you’re willing to put everything on the line for it.

150. oilersfan says:

well craig simpson is saying he would take Yakupov. Hopefully he is still in touch with MacT and Lowe who we know he is very good friends with.

151. gogliano says:

I’d way rather a trade for a real NHL player + Reinhardt than just drafting Murray.

All these comparisons of Murray to even guys like Lowe and Wesley are optimistic — D are a crapshoot and Lowe and Wesley were pretty great defenseman for more than a decade each. There is nothing on Murray’s resume to assure anyone he’ll match someone like Lowe, who was a cornerstone on perhaps the best NHL team ever and almost had a shot at the overly inclusive HOF. A player of Lowe’s calibre is Murray’s upside (which is great, just not #1 material), it isn’t his worst possible scenario.

And the only doubt of whether Yakupov is a first line winger for years is injury — and if that is really your fear then play him for a year or two and then deal him for a defenseman. Yak is the only sure fire bet in the entire draft. I’ll lose it if they don’t trade the pick or take him at #1.

152. gogliano says:

Ducey: Is there a quota on the # of good defenseman they can have?

There is a quota on how many #1 picks a team gets. It should probably be at around 1, but let’s hope it isn’t more than 3.

153. Ryan says:

Lowetide, somewhat interesting that you recently made a joke about Craig Simpson. He was just on Oilers Now talking to Smiling Bob.
    Almost made me wish he had a position in Oilers management. He basically said that it’s very unlikely that Murray will have a big impact at the NHL level for 3-5 years. Even more so given that he didn’t put up offensive numbers at the WHL level.
    With the quoted dubious honor of the Oilers getting the number one pick three years running, the patient fan base deserves to see some improvement in the W/L ratio next season. He said this means drafting Yakupov who will have an impact next season, adding depth to our top six, so we can dangle some nice pieces for an NHL defenseman who will have an impact NOW.
    To quote Russel Peters… Steve Tambellini: C’mon. Be a man! Do the right thing!

154. Traktor says:

My mom thinks we should draft “the Russian goalie in the WJC” with the 1st overall. haha

155. nathan says:

“Whom the Gods Wish to Destroy, They First Make Mad”

franksterra,

The big question is will Tambi beat the clock when he drafts 5th and finds Yakupov, Murray, and Reinhart are all off the board?

156. jb says:

Does anyone actually believe they made an official decision today, then proceeded to tell Tencer, Stauffer, and Murray’s little brother that Murray is going 1?

Despite the peaking drama.. nothings changed

157. lawrenharris says:

Wow, Monica Vitti!
    If they don’t draft Yak I’m gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

158. rich says:

When you look at the Oil’s prospect list, there is not a lot of scoring bubbling under in the system. Would much rather them take Yak and see what Gagner or or MPS will bring in a trade.

It could be that the offers haven’t been good for these guys (or anyone else). We still have 3.5 hours.

The only good thing if they pick Murray at the top is I do think it will be another bad year and the Oil will have no choice but to can Tambellini. Should send Vish packing along with him as well.

I think the Oilers are trying to decide between Murray and Reinhart, taking Murray at #1, or trading down to #3 or #4 to take Reinhart. I think the Oilers might be safisfied with an extra 2nd, which they can package with their own second to back into the first to get Samuelsson.

160. nathan says:

jb,

No. St@uffer shills whatever he thinks will serve his masters. He probably only hears from them when he crosses the line.

“MacT not going anywhere”

161. fuzzy muppet says:

rich,

You’re right, their forward prospects look more like 3rd liners at best at this point.

If they take a defenseman at #1, they better pray that Taylor Hall doesn’t get hurt or It’s bottom five again next year

162. Ducey says:

fuzzy muppet: Ducey, Thar’s not his point. Would you take Klefbom #1 OV?? THere’s a reason this team is constantly in last place. The good news is if they take Murray they will likely get their walking papers after ANOTHER bottom 3 finish

Understood.

It just seems people have lost perspective here. Its not like the Oilers are drafting a guy with one leg and a drinking problem. Murray is a damn good prospect who will help the team.

Maybe he is not as good as Yakupov but he should still be a very good player.

163. fuzzy muppet says:

godot10,

That’s a much better outcome than taking the Defenseman at 1

164. nathan says:

“It just seems people have lost perspective here.”

Ducey,

perspective n.. the appearance of things relative to one another as determined by their distance from the viewer

Um. The draft is an exercise in perspective. Recognizing the distance between players.

165. matmik says:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Oilers will be selecting Murray as the first pick this year, other player that was being considered was Rienhart not Yakapov as per Gardield

Favorite

this is painful

166. DSF says:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Tambellini ” Oilers to select the best Person”

Good grief.

167. fuzzy muppet says:

Granny panties says they’re taking Murray.

Her cat told her

168. striatic says:

matmik,

ugh.

169. Truth says:

This is going to end horribly for the Oilers. The only thing keeping me sane is alternative reality I am going to make myself believe in which Montreal wins the draft lottery and gets Yakupov and we get relegated to Murray at # 3.

170. Billy Boisey says:

A friend just texted, “on a scale of 1 to Daigle, how bad are the Oilers going to **** this up?”

My answer was “Steve Kelly”

Anyhow, the real problem is that the Oilers, I think, really want Murray, but the BJs have telegraphed their move. I think that their decision to hire Hartsburg, and his decision to join them, was influenced in part by his history w/ Murray. Barring an incredible offer, the BJs WILL take Murray at 2, and they have no interest in trading up to get Yakupov. The Oilers know this, and thus are in a difficult spot.

171. nathan says:

matmik,

The secret recipe:

1. Take St@uffer’s Murray prediction.
    2. Add an unverifiable detail about Reinhart to embellish.
    3. Post from your basement with a fake avatar.
    4. Serve with the incredulous buzz that you either predicted Murray or predicted the openness to the last minute trade down to get Reinhart.

172. rich says:

DSF: Tracy ‏@TreenasOilTambellini ” Oilers to select the best Person”Good grief.

Someone get the shot gun now and just put us out of our misery.

It’s like the waiters singing Christmas carols in the Chinese restaurant.

Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra.

173. skinny65 says:

All this talk of Murray is just making me mental. This is sooo ludicrous. A management group that has come in 30th, 30th and 29th are going to go out of their way to show everyone just how brilliant they are? God I hate being a fan of this team. If they dont pick yakapov I’m ready to throw my hands up in the air.
    All the talk on here has me depressed, so I’ve cracked the first beer.
    Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do, so pick the sniper already!!!

174. matmik says:

I’m reading soccernomics (great book about the development of moneyball in soccer) – they talk about the generations of English teams that valued players with “English Toughness” over actual ability. Sums up this situation perfectly.

175. uni says:

Ducey,

in 2005 Erik Johnson was a good player too, but you would much rather have Jordan Staal, Johnathan Toews, Nicklas Backstrom, or Phil Kessel instead.

Similarly in 2006 Jack Johnson was still a fine prospect but you take Crosby.

Ditto 2007 even if the Hawks needed defence immediately at the NHL level it would have been blatantly stupid to grab Karl Alzner the best rated defense prospect instead of Kane. Alzner is still a good player, but Kane is better, and yes it would have been stupid to pass on him.

I think you’re losing perspective here if you think it’s anything other than bad if the Oilers use the 1st overall pick on a weaker prospect because then want to tag a 18 year old as the savior for their needs on defence. You go with the best player available and that’s Yakupov.

176. fuzzy muppet says:

I think the real reason they didn’t hire a coach yet was that they don’t want any voices of reason derailing their mad schemes.

New coach: “yeah I’ll take they consensus #1 guy over a nice young steady eddie. I don’t have immunity in regards to my performance like you.”

So mackinnon or Jones?

177. Ribs says:

Well, if they take Yakupov I think that puts a pretty big hole in Fussy’s street cred, in any case.

178. Ryan says:

Wow, Smiling Bob has been working real hard on damage control for the likely selection of Murray at number one.

Not sure how you can use the #1 ov for a guy who probably won’t even be the best defenseman of the bunch five years from now.

Sounds like the Oilers are desperate for dmen and Tamblowe don’t have much clue how to get one outside of the draft.

179. Ryan says:

On a positive note…
    If the Oilers do pick Murray at number one, continue on pace with their typical UFA calibre signings… History suggests we’re headed for another lotto pick and hopefully a purge of the current management team.

180. Marc says:

A propos of nothing and in honour of the Germany – Greece game, one of the finest comedy sketches of all time:

181. DSF says:

I’m beginning to think the “best person”doesn’t mean what we think it means.

More accurately, it means the “person who bought into the “Snake Oil” sales pitch most completely.”

182. Cactus says:

Was there this much leaking before the pick of Hall or RNH? As I recall, when I watched them make the pick, I honestly had no idea until the words came out of Tambellini’s mouth.

That would mean that these leaks are either:

1) A deliberate misinformation campaign, meant to increase the drama and uncertainty prior to the selection.
    2) Some attempt to create leverage to work some kind of trade.
    3) A futile attempt to allow hardcore fans to take out most of their frustrations prior to the actual pick in the hopes of not having the poor kid ripped to shreds in the media and message boards tonight.

All of these seem weird to me and out of character of past drafts. I don’t get it.

183. spoiler says:

NHL Draft Preview starts at 3pm on NHLtv.

184. LMHF#1 says:

In the next 10 days, anything less than Yakupov, Samuelsson, a trade from strength for a good defenseman and signing Justin Schultz should be considered a failure. This isn’t rocket surgery, it is there for the taking.

The bonus should then be Penner and one more quality player. That’s a truly superb group you’d be working with.

Of course, our idea of a priority is Lennart Petrell, so I’m utterly terrified that we are standing at the true crossroads of this “rebuild” BS and are about to truly screw it up, making the last number of years meaningless.

This is a much bigger day than it should have been.

185. Ryan says:

Gregor just read a tweet that he received, “Ryan Murray is a much better player than Nail Yakupov” from @SteveKelly lmfao!

This is a real Nail biter, isn’t it? Is everyone as anxious as me right now or not?

186. nathan says:

“Not saying they’ve told him, but he’s been working very hard at preemptive damage control from a PR perspective.”

Ryan,

Exactly. He does not know and says so. He’s just clearing the path to be useful. Nothing to lose that he already hasn’t

Arlene on the other hand will have some ‘splaining to do if Tambi and MBS play it safe again with the consensus pick.

187. LMHF#1 says:

Cactus:

2) Some attempt to create leverage to work some kind of trade.

I’m hoping that all this Murray and especially Reinhart talk is just that, trying to get someone to offer a rising star plus a very high pick. Don’t get me wrong, if NYI takes leave of their senses and says “here, have John Tavares” I’m not saying no.

188. ashley says:

Cactus,

Most people on the Al Gore thought Seguin would be called if I recall, especially here on Lowetide’s blog. Matheson had telegraphed Seguin in the final days before the draft in 2010.

So you could speculate that Matheson’s “source” was intentionally misled or knew Hall was the pick and purposely misled Matheson.

Matheson would not have written the articles he did without a source.

189. Captain Obvious says:

I’m now hoping for a trade down. Any kind of trade is better than taking Murray #1.

Since good scenarios appear out of the question we have to turn towards what is the best of the bad scenarios.

It’s mindboggling. Yakupov is a guaranteed 30 goal scorer with superstar upside while Ryan Murray’s upside, his best case scenario, is Wade Redden.

The Oilers have been gifted manna from heaven and they are actively turning it into dross.

190. Captain Obvious says:

The good news is that at least we aren’t the Jets. No matter how bad we screw this up it is still better than drafting Mark Scheifele ahead of Couturier.

Ryan:

This is a real Nail biter, isn’t it?Is everyone as anxious as me right now or not?

Nail-biter NOT! I’ve been lying on the sunny sandy beach out on Murray Island for months now, and it has never been more peaceful and relaxing.

192. jake70 says:

I think they’re not getting the offers they thought they might initiallly for the 1st pick. The last 10 days the full court press is on to get teams into a bidding war for the pick. They’ll take Yak….everyone relax. ;-)

Newer Comments »