DRAFT 2012 DAY ONE: ALL WILL BE REVEALED

The Oilers are going to get at least one very good young hockey player today. We may also get a look at what kind of impact MacT has in the room.

Nail Yakupov is some kind of wonderful. Brilliant insurance against Hall injury and or Hemsky trade, all indicators have him being an offensive difference maker.

Smooth skater and a defensive gem, Murray is a plug and play at a very difficult position. The concern over size might mean he’s passed over.

Kept getting better and getting bigger, to the point where his physical play, defensive play and ability to move the puck put him at or very near the top of the draft. Reading the tea leaves (and recalling quotes from Millard and Nielson), my sense is that at some level there are portions of Oiler scouting and management that values Reinhart beyond the rest of the class. They may see him as a cornerstone defender, completing the fab four with size, skill and toughness.

This is such a fascinating draft, real drama. Yesterday, a buddy of mine texted me that Tambellini told the media that the player Edmonton would choose had been consistently at or near the top of their board all year long. The funny thing is, buddy and I concluded that meant two different things. Funny what your point of view can do to a quote.

I think the defensemen are ranked close to each other, so a trade down is possible. The Russian is out there and every ranking has him at the top, so that is the best bet.  All spring, we’ve heard rumors and whispers about Ryan Murray and then later Griffin Reinhart. It may come to nothing; Oilers could draft Yakupov #1 overall and we’ll never know.

I’ve been following this team for 40 years and they have some predictable patterns.  If I were forced to guess, it would be Ryan Murray #1, with the clear preference being trading out and grabbing Reinhart instead.

This was close for the scouts, folks. I’d bet a lot of money on it.

In honor of the scouts, and their miles and miles of miles and miles, here’s one of my favorite songs.

365 Responses to "DRAFT 2012 DAY ONE: ALL WILL BE REVEALED"

« Older Comments
  1. matmik says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

#SNdraft Sources saying #Canadiens quietly shopping PK Subban. Would PK entice #Oilers for package deal involving 1st #NHL over-all pick?

Much rather do Subban for 1 than draft RM

2. jb says:

ashley:
    Cactus,

Most people on the Al Gore thought Seguin would be called if I recall, especially here on Lowetide’s blog.Matheson had telegraphed Seguin in the final days before the draft in 2010.

Good to see Tencer, Stauffer, and “TreenasOil” with their reps on the line here. I surely won’t listen to another word that comes outta there mouths if Murray isn’t the pick now.

3. DSF says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

jb: True. Not that anonymous reputations mean anything, but I feel like I put mine up against the majority of the MSM that draft day. I did know it was always Hall despite the media blabbing on about other possibilities based on perceived need.

5. nathan says:

jake70,

Agreed. The most horrific outcome would be they take Murray and CBJ gets something significant to trade down.

6. russ99 says:

DSF:
    Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Tambellini ” Oilers to select the best Person”

Good grief.

I sure hope she’s wrong… cause that’s the Omark mismanagement due to percieved “attitude” times 10,000.

7. dawgtoy says:

Any deal with Montreal that involves #1 and PK, I’d do in a second and sweeten if necessary.

8. Cactus says:

LMHF#1: I’m hoping that all this Murray and especially Reinhart talk is just that, trying to get someone to offer a rising star plus a very high pick. Don’t get me wrong, if NYI takes leave of their senses and says “here, have John Tavares” I’m not saying no.

Kypreos on Twitter just mentioned that he has a source saying Montreal is quietly shopping Subban. There could be a trade yet.

9. engineer says:

A photo of CZJ, with the caption “all will be revealed”?

You, sir, are cruel. Cruel, cruel, cruel.

10. Maverick says:

DSF:
    Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Still drafting Reinhart at 3rd or do you have the Defenseman you seek and draft the next best forward?????

11. DBO says:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
    Igor Larionov just said “Edmonton doesn’t talk to me I don’t talk to them,” when we asked him to come on the show…Interesting. Seemed mad.

hello Ryan Murray

12. ashley says:

Lowetide: This blog was pro-Hall from early april 2010 on, iirc most posters were on board with TH.

13. Cactus says:

Spector built on the Subban rumour suggesting someone like Petry or Smid would have to go back the other way. Not only does that seem like a bad idea, I ‘m curious: how good is Subban? I honestly don’t see him enough/know his numbers to know whether he’s truly an upgrade over Petry in the long run.

14. matmik says:

this is very telling if there was any doubt left:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor

15. hockeyguy10 says:

Ryan: Wow, Smiling Bob has been working real hard on damage control for the likely selection of Murray at number one. Not saying they’ve told him, but he’s been working very hard at preemptive damage control from a PR perspective.Not sure how you can use the #1 ov for a guy who probably won’t even be the best defenseman of the bunch five years from now. Sounds like the Oilers are desperate for dmen and Tamblowe don’t have much clue how to get one outside of the draft.

Have a look at the UFA list of D-men and try and find one or two who you actually think could help this team. And who might actually sign here. Suter and Garrison are not coming to Edmonton.
    Yandle has popped up as being available. Funny how one season after signing him Phoenix wants to dump him. And there are people posting here trading the first overall for him is a good idea.Then they take a deep breath and call Tambellini stupid. Woodguy stated earlier Yandle plays soft comp. Pick another 3rd pairing D off another roster,tell everyone we should trade the 1 OV for him and wait for the reaction.
    I am not defending anything Tambo does,just stating that fixing your roster isn’t as easy as everyone thinks it is when 29 other teams are trying to do the same thing.

16. nathan says:

“There could be a trade yet.”

Cactus,

Yeah. With Columbus after Tambi picks Murray.

17. Maverick says:

DBO:
    Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor

hello Ryan Murray

Wasn’t that the same thing a month ago?

I won’t read too much into it, still interesting though.

18. rich says:

Getting Subban and #3 for the #1 would be fine w/me. If you were able to take Murray at that slot (if CBJ passes) that would be fine.

And if they do pass, you could take Reinhart or, take Galyenchuk.

But I think it’s now settled and judging from the comments, you’re going to see enormous spin to try and control the damage. I get the sense that this management group may be underestimating how unhappy the fanbase will be w/picking Murray #1. And while you should be taking BPA and have the courage of your convictions, I don’t think this management group (Vish/Tambi) have enough credit left to survive when this blows up.

There’s going to be you-know-what to pay for this one I predict.

19. LMHF#1 says:

Maverick: Now its getting interesting….. Package deal in the works, Oilers get the 3rd and PK?

You draft one of the two remaining Russian forwards.

20. Maverick says:

Could you imagine….

PK Subban and Alex Galchenyuk being Oilers at 6pm Edmonton time??

Wow, now that would be a Christmas Miracle!

21. Cactus says:

Maverick:
    Could you imagine….

PK Subban and Alex Galchenyuk being Oilers at 6pm Edmonton time??

Wow, now that would be a Christmas Miracle!

It would be Subban and Reinhart, 95% sure. I could deal with that.

22. LMHF#1 says:

Cactus: It would be Subban and Reinhart, 95% sure.I could deal with that.

I couldn’t. Reinhart has become Mr. Overrated.

23. Nicholas says:

The only reason I can think the Habs would be contemplating this would be to draft both Yakupov and Galchenyuk as a Sedin-esque pair. 3rd+Subban is a complete overpayment for the first overall, and it’s not like the Habs have a hugely deep defensive group either, so there would have to be a reason for it…

That would have to mean it’s the 1st to the Habs, and Subban coming back, maybe with some pieces on either side to even out.

24. striatic says:

Cactus,

i could deal with that, but i don’t see it happening.

i don’t think the oilers like subban for the same reasons they don’t like yakupov or omark.

ashley: True, most posters were in favour of TH.If I recall, you though Seguin for some time based on organizational need, but changed your mind with a post titled something like: “I have seen the future of the Oilers, and his name is Taylor Hall”.

To clarify what I meant, in the final 24 hours leading up to the draft, many posters on here were sure it was going to be Seguin based on media and rumours in the final days (especially Matheson), but were still hoping it would be Hall.We would have to review the comments from that thread to be sure I am remembering it correctly.

Yeah, that article was in May http://lowetide.ca/blog/2010/05/i-have-seen-the-future-of-the-edmonton-oilers-and-his-name-is-taylor-hall.html

Sorry, I misunderstood, thought you said the consensus here was that Seguin was the better man. For me, May 15 on it was about Hall. I believe the C argument continued for some time but believe the comments were pro hall draft night

26. Captain Obvious says:

Any outcome that involves PK Subban is a good one. Therefore it won’t happen.

27. jb says:

Your right, and your blog usually gets it right. It was the Oilernation MSM crew that were convinced Seguin was the pick. Which lead a tonne of people to believe Seguin was not only a possiblility, but their guy.. In reality the Hall decision was made long before then.. There wasn’t the slightest possibility Seguins name was going to be called that day.

Kinda like what we’re seeing today IMO.

28. franksterra says:

Nicholas:

This seems plausible, not sure how possible (have I mixed those up?) Habs fans will scream, but for the 1st OV that becomes part of a 2012 Super Duo, we’d need more than Subban. And I don’t know what that could be to offset loss of Yak.

29. ashley says:

jb: Your right, and your blog usually gets it right. It was the Oilernation MSM crew that were convinced Seguin was the pick. Which lead a tonne of people to believe Seguin was not only a possiblility, but their guy..In reality the Hall decision was made long before then.. There wasn’t the slightest possibility Seguins name was going to be called that day.

Kinda like what we’re seeing today IMO.

That’s why I brought it up now.

We’ve seen this movie before, and it didn’t end like it seemed it was going to end.

30. Ducey says:

There is no way MTL would trade Subban and #3 for #1. Is the difference between Nail and Alex Galchenyuk worth Subban? No way.

Subban and MTL’s 2nd or third would be more like it, but even then, why would MTL being trading one of their young top 3 defenders? This make no sense.

31. Cactus says:

Ducey,

32. DSF says:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

I can confirm the Oilers are having talks with Habs and Leafs

33. spoiler says:

ashley: True, most posters were in favour of TH. If I recall, you though Seguin for some time based on organizational need, but changed your mind with a post titled something like: “I have seen the future of the Oilers, and his name is Taylor Hall”. To clarify what I meant, in the final 24 hours leading up to the draft, many posters on here were sure it was going to be Seguin based on media and rumours in the final days (especially Matheson), but were still hoping it would be Hall. We would have to review the comments from that thread to be sure I am remembering it correctly.I remember one comment vividly (tho’ I forget the author): “Please don’t let me be a fan of the team that passed up on Taylor Hall”.

I think it was the day after the Memorial Cup game where someone (Gudbranson?) pile-drived Hall into the end boards and he responded by scoring one of the nicest goals of the Cup about 2 minutes later. He was all over the ice that game.

34. rich says:

Struds on w/Gregor and trying to explain how Oilers management can pass on an offensive talent like Yakupov… “Murray would be the most courageous pick”.

To add context, “Oilers management will have a lot of explaining to do if they pass on Yakupov.”

Got that right.

35. fuzzy muppet says:

spoiler,

Hamonic

36. Kris11 says:

Just take Yak. Just take Yak! Just take Yakkk!,,

Taking Mirray over Yak because the former has poise and character is like signing a goaltender with a poor SV percentage to a 4 year. 35+ deal be because he “knows how to win.”

37. spoiler says:

fuzzy muppet: spoiler, Hamonic

Yes! Thank you, sir.

38. Captain Obvious says:

Ducey:
    There is no way MTL would trade Subban and #3 for #1.Is the difference between Nail and Alex Galchenyukworth Subban?No way.

I agree completely. The question is what else the Oilers would have to give in addition to the #1. If it’s Paajarvi I do it. If it is Paajarvi and Musil, I do it. If it is almost anything I do it.

39. spoiler says:

There’s a lot of argument by analogy today laced with over-the-top dogmatic condemnations, almost as if we live in some sort of Manicheistic black-and-white universe.

Despite the fact we are posting in a digital world, can we accept that the Hockey Universe is largely composed of shades of grey, and not one single on/off switch?

40. Cactus says:

spoiler,

Awesome. Never thought I’d see someone turn Manicheism into an adjective. Don’t see this kind of stuff on any other website.

41. fuzzy muppet says:

If Yakupov was a FA this year instead of a draft eligible guy, he’s arguably the 3rd best offensive guy after parise and semin already.

This is a monumental blunder in the making….

They can’t be this dumb can they????

42. Kris11 says:

Morons on NHL predraft show are saying that Yakupov doesn’t fit the “Oilers identity” but Murray does.

What is the identity? No talent? Losers? No Russians?

43. Cactus says:

Well, TSN is clearly setting up their narrative to the draft. Yakupov is the clear number one. Anything else is a big move away from the consensus. For Murray’s sake, I hope he goes #2 or 3 so he doesn’t have to deal with innumerable “So, how does it feel to be a suprise choice?” or “The fans really wanted Yakupov, how do you respond to that?” questions.

44. bookje says:

Larionov comment was interesting and another black mark against the Oilers.

If they want Murray, I hope they trade down.

Or maybe they just pick Yak

45. spoiler says:

bookje: Larionov comment was interesting and another black mark against the Oilers.I think the oilers make a trade. If they want Murray, I hope they trade down.

Below CBJ who may also want Murray?

46. Smarmy says:

The media wants a trade to Montreal or Toronto and they’re trying to force they issue by talking about it incessantly. We’ll see if the Oilers stay in their bubble or if they give in to the rabble.

47. bookje says:

48. DBO says:

I am really thinking that the Oil want Reinhart and will move down to 4 or 5 (Isles or Leafs). At this point they have to unless it’s Yak. Right? RIGHT?!?!?!

49. bookje says:

spoiler: Below CBJ who may also want Murray?

Yeah, youth call I guess.

50. bookje says:

bookje: Yeah, youth call I guess.

TOUGH call, not youth call (iphone spellchecker messed it up).

51. spoiler says:

bookje: If the Oilers don’t pick Yak I think it’s because they believe he would not be a good ‘fit’ in the room.

Someone was wondering out loud on yesterday’s thread about the Muslim factor. I actually asked two ex-NHLers today if that would have any effect in the dressing room. The questions were in private and they know me well so there was no pressure to respond in a politically correct fashion.

They both unequivocally stated that being Muslim would have “zero effect”. They both stated that the most important qualities in the dressing room were being a good teammate (for eg. unselfish) and working hard. Everything else was pretty much a non-issue.

52. lazerguidedmelody says:

It’s been a weird night (or afternoon your time), reading these comments. It’s almost as if internet hype and rumour has taken precedence to the usual insight and reason. Tambo will be proud to select Yakupov #1. And if he doesn’t, it’s because Burke or MTL have overpaid. If we pick #’1, it’s Yakupov. End of.

(And if I’m wrong, I fully expect – or even demand – ridicule of the highest order).

53. Cactus says:

spoiler: Below CBJ who may also want Murray?

54. bookje says:

One thing we have to admit if the Oilers take Yak is that the MSN knows nothing about the Oilers – right?

55. Ducey says:

Cactus: Ducey, Ducey, do you have a good scouting report on Subban? Some people seem to think he’s the next big thing on D. Others aren’t convinced and I’m not sure what to think.

I saw him good on the TV:)

He was the leading D on MTL with 36 pts, over 100 PIM’s (2nd on the team), 24 minutes a night (tops on the team), 200 shots and a plus player. That sounds pretty good to me.

Why would they be trading him?

56. spoiler says:

Cactus: The Islanders, I’d think. They probably are expecting to pick between Dumba, Reinhard and Reilly, but could be pleasantly surprised if Murray were to fall. And it’s not impossible. If Edmonton does the right thing and takes Yak, CLB goes for Forsberg and Montreal grabs Galchenyuk, he’d be sitting right there for NYI.

57. Maverick says:

One more hour boys and we will know if the Management team is competent or in-competent.

Don’t let the 3 years at the bottom of the league or the terrible UFA signings, the botched hiring of 3 different coaches in 4 years sway our opinion of the Oilers Management team…..

Ah, Hell, we’re screwed!!!

58. Gret99zky says:

Never under-estimate this organization’s ability to do some completely and unexplainably stupid.

59. bookje says:

lazerguidedmelody,

You think you will be ridiculed. 6 weeks ago I posted the following:
    “Prediction – weeks of speculation about the Oilers trading the pick or taking someone other than Nail Yakupov, followed by last minute speculation about trades, all culminating with the Oilers picking Yakupov.

and I have been glibly poking at everyone around here for jumping at shadows,rumours, and inuendo.

I admit to being a bit nervous about things today though given that tomorrow I may have to change my user name to “ClearlyNotBookje” if I am wrong.

60. lazerguidedmelody says:

bookje,

In which case, I’ll point and laugh at you with the best of them

(or applaud the insight – delete as appropriate)

61. Gret99zky says:

If the Oilers draft Yak; Stauffer, Milhouse, and fuzzybritches should be fitted with clown shoes.

62. SpotTheLoon says:

This certainly has the potential to go down as a classic example of over think, group think or looking for flaws in a player to the point of diminishing that player’s value. Unbelievable.

I have always been one that has been relatively okay with the Oilers’ brain trust. Not that I have agreed with everything but I could at least see where they were coming from, even if I held a contrary opinion. However, if we see Murray taken first and leaving the likes of Yak at the alter, I firmly believe that the team will have demonstrated “jumping the shark”. Such a move, especially without trading down is a nuts in terms of maximizing the value of the first overall pick.

63. Maverick says:

Gret99zky:

I think they already wear them. LOL

64. Cactus says:

spoiler: I agree with that take, but the proposition was trade down for Murray, which seems far too dangerous to me as CBJ might take him.

I’ve been thinking about this. If the cacophony of rumours are true, the Oilers like Reinhart almost as much as Murray. IF this is true, then there’s no reason to think both will be gone by 5th overall and definitely not by 4th overall. Even if you’re not getting the big bounty you want for the first overall pick, why not trade down with Montreal for at least a 2nd round pick? People will criticize the low return, but I would warrant that such criticism would be more muted than that if they take either d-man at 1.

65. Marc says:

bookje:
    Larionov comment was interesting and another black mark against the Oilers.

I don’t think anyone but a handful of Oilers mananagement and scouts actually know who their pick is. Everything we’ve heard today has been conjecture and gut instinct – nothing solid.

I suspect that Larionov heard all the buzz about Murray that we’ve heard today and sought a little reassurance that Yakupov was their guy. But if I recall correctly the Oilers haven’t tipped off any of their #1 picks. Why would treating Larionov the same as RNH and Hall’s agents be a black mark against Edmonton?

66. Doug McLachlan says:

This has all happened before and will all happen again.

All the rumours about rumours that used to circulate amongst a small group have twittered into a huge discussion but the process is the same. A handful of people actually know the Oilers’ pick and those people are not talking.

If we pick the fine details out of the few statements we’ve heard from the actual people who might know we get: Yakupov is a top 6 forward, Murray is a second-pairing defenseman, the gap has closed from the start of their assessment. This tells me that their heads are still telling them that Yakupov is the choice – and that he will be the pick.

LT, if this becomes the Fusssy Britches confirmation test – we will know soon. I’ve liked reading her and thought it was fun to have a “pipeline” to the braintrust but I hope to all the Lords of Kobal that she is exposed as some Eklund-wannabe. If I’m wrong and we do draft Murray, LT could you please do tomorrow’s post with a shot from Louie Delgrande’s role in Scanners – you know, when his head explodes – as I think it will accurately convey the general sense here.

67. gogliano says:

Subban goes in the top ten in a redraft pretty easily and all thing considered you prefer the player who is top ten in his class five years out compared to the 18 year old who is merely projection. Is #3 plus about the top #5 or 6 from the 2007 draft overpay for the #1? Of course it is.

Something like Subban plus #33 would be closer value wise.

68. spoiler says:

Cactus,

Would you be happier with a 2nd and Reinhart over just Murray?

69. Kris11 says:

Doug McLachlan,

70. Gret99zky says:

Hall wil be the first to get the F out of town if management chooses a player that will not make a significant improvement to the team next year. He’s not going to wait 3-5 years for a player to develop into a yadda, yadda.

71. Cactus says:

spoiler:
    Cactus,

Would you be happier with a 2nd and Reinhart over just Murray?

I personally am unsure, as I can only rely on scouting services, numbers and other wise men like yourself and LT for input. But as I said, if the Oilers are convinced that they’re close, then you might as well maximize the value you receive. Plus, in this scenario, Reinhart would be the fallback. Trading with Montreal or the Islanders might still net you Murray AND a bonus. Additionally, it nets you some political cover with the fans/press. They may come to value that before the night is out.

72. Doug McLachlan says:

Kris11: Doug McLachlan, But everyone is predicting that they won’t pick Yakupov, not just Fussy Britches.

True, but “everyone” is not making the claim to be talking with their cat/Katz.

73. striatic says:

RNH and Murray are buddies, right?

or they share an agent at least?

74. franksterra says:

Gret99zky:
    Hall wil be the first to get the F out of town if management chooses a player that will not make a significant improvement to the team next year.He’s not going to wait 3-5 years for a player to develop into a yadda, yadda.

What if he didn’t draft a player that would improve the team immediately, by traded for one (and drafted someone to develop)?

75. Cactus says:

LT, if they do end up going with Murray at #1, I’ll suggest the post should be named “The Wisdom of Pierre McGuire”. That would say it all.

76. bookje says:

Marc: I don’t think anyone but a handful of Oilers mananagement and scouts actually know who their pick is.Everything we’ve heard today has been conjecture and gut instinct – nothing solid.

I suspect that Larionov heard all the buzz about Murray that we’ve heard today and sought a little reassurance that Yakupov was their guy.But if I recall correctly the Oilers haven’t tipped off any of their #1 picks. Why would treating Larionov the same as RNH and Hall’s agents be a black mark against Edmonton?

I think I read the comment wrong. I don’t have a problem with them not telling him anything about the pick. I had been thinking that he was saying that basically Edmonton and he were not on speaking terms but I think that’s the wrong interpretation.

77. LP says:

Cactus:
    LT, if they do end up going with Murray at #1, I’ll suggest the post should be named “The Wisdom of Pierre McGuire”.That would say it all.

I agree with you, I’d take Yakupov. But let’s not forget that if CLB would have won the lottery, then EDM would probably be picking Murray at 2nd anyhow.

There has to be a point where the gift of winning the lottery has less importance than the need for a solid D-man for the next 5-10 years.

I’d like Yakupov, but lets not overreact this if they pick Murray.

First beer is done.

79. Cactus says:

LP,

I’m not suggesting Murray is a tragic player. He’s just not good value at 1st overall. And the only person in the media that’s been consistently pushing him in that slot is Pierre McGuire. That tells me what I need to know.

80. Captain Obvious says:

From Colby Cosh: “Christ. On top of everything else, Murray’s a super-old 18?”

Exactly. Picking Murray is a disaster.

81. Matt.N says:

I would feel bad for him. Average Oiler fan will expect a lot and run him out of town when he is thrown in over his head.

82. Ribs says:

Woodguy:
    First beer is done.

*Jealous*

83. LP says:

Cactus:
    LP,

I’m not suggesting Murray is a tragic player.He’s just not good value at 1st overall.And the only person in the media that’s been consistently pushing him in that slot is Pierre McGuire.That tells me what I need to know.

Fair enough.

So… Yakupov in Montreal?? (sigh..)

84. regwald says:

Woodguy:
    First beer is done.

the first of many for this Oiler fan if we go “Yak-less” …

85. Gret99zky says:

There absolutely has to be a trade here. Right?

God I hope it’s good. I really honestly hope, with the addition of MacT’s superbrain and a new coach on the horizon, Tambellini blows my fucking socks off. And everyones!

The Nuge was scratching his nose/lip during the TSN interview. Tell-tale sign of something is up.

I really need to feel good/better about next year.

And I certainly don’t want to take a beating by my Calgarian Brother-In-Law be proving again we own the suck.

Crossing my fingers.

86. bookje says:

I’ve got my beer and my bar of soap- I’m ready!

87. Matt.N says:

Woodguy:
    First beer is done.

I call your beer and raise you a Sailor Jerry’s and ginger ale.

88. skinny65 says:

Woodguy

I’m on my fifth. Trying to get in tune with utter disappointment. I know as an Oiler fan I should be used to it, but I still believe. Or more properly, I still want to believe. Thus, day drinking.
    Just take the scorer already.

89. HeyJakel says:

I just want to thank the LT community for providing me with something to do today.
    I’ve been at work since noon today and I have hit refresh on this page approximately 150 times. (Once I clicked next when we bumped over 200.)
    Can we get this over with already?
    I feel sick.

90. spoiler says:

Captain Obvious: From Colby Cosh: “Christ. On top of everything else, Murray’s a super-old 18?”Exactly. Picking Murray is a disaster.

I don’t think “disaster” means what you think it means.

And Murray’s birthday has been mentioned on this blog several times. Trust you and Colby to be behind the curve.

91. fuzzy muppet says:

Captain Obvious,

And he’s a LHD. Don’t they have enough of those already???

92. skidplate says:

Woodguy:
    First beer is done.

Just cracked my first.

93. speeds says:

Even having heard all the Murray buzz, I will still be surprised if they don’t pick Yakupov.

94. spoiler says:

My beer is resting on a bed of ice, awaiting the celebratory moment.

It may have to wait till next year.

95. bookje says:

What if they were going to pick Yak and Mact changed their minds.

96. Factotum says:

If the Oilers are convinced that Murray is the BPA and they can’t trade down, I’d say the most important thing is to get your guy. Trust your board, as LT said earlier in the week.

Interesting to see Stu compare Murray to Mark Howe. If that’s who he is, then OK with me, although the Edmonton fan base seems to prefer defensemen with bloodier knuckles, so there could be Gilbert-esque troubles ahead.

On the other hand, personally I’d be taking Yakupov. And I’m still wistful about Doan.

One way or another, it won’t be long now.

97. Cactus says:

speeds:

Agreed. And if they do pick Yak, I think we need to start regarding the Oilers PR and communications dept. as far more crafty than some give them credit for.

98. Gret99zky says:

bookje:
    What if they were going to pick Yak and Mact changed their minds.

lol. gold.

99. jake70 says:

Woodguy:
    First beer is done.

Nice. I have one of those little flavoured 4 pak shooter things you get at the cash (well here anyway) at the liquor store, ready for emergency use.

100. DBO says:

a few beers in and down to last. dammit. will wait to go buy celebratory beer once TAMBO shocks us all and brings out his evil genius. Do it.

101. fuzzy muppet says:

It’s starting as a beer night.

I have a feeling it ends up a whiskey night after the first pick and I’ll wake up with an unexplained cold sore

102. Derek says:

Do the right thing Steve, I’ve got a date with a girl who’s way out of my league tonight and I’d prefer to go positive and upbeat, rather than drunk and surly.

DBO:

Down to the last beer?

F for planning.

104. Maverick says:

Woodguy: Down to the last beer?

F for planning.

If the 1st pick is Murray or Reinhart, I may have to switch to something stronger!

105. Gret99zky says:

The Magnificent Bastard will not let us down.

And the next episode of Oil Change will make the movie Avatar’s box-office numbers look like a puppet show.

106. matmik says:

stauffer is hedging

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer

A lot of Murray momentum lately but wouldn’t surprise me if YAK is the pick

107. DBO says:

Woodguy,

Agreed. Got too fixated on the damn internet after work and got distracted. I may need a few moments to compose myself. I do have a lot of hard liquor. Probably just had the subconscious awareness to hit it hard at 5:15 pm

108. Gret99zky says:

Derek:

This is the type of stuff you can’t make up. Well done.

109. DBO says:

Screw it. Pounding my beer, hitting the vodka!!!!!!!

110. spoiler says:

Fuck it.

*cracks beer*

111. Gret99zky says:

From now on call me coach Buttermaker, the pool cleaner.

112. DBO says:

spoiler,

Welcome to the party. Population : anger.

113. DBO says:

According to Willis, Matheson has said he has a source that it is Yak, 100%. This is killing me.

114. Gret99zky says:

Gotta pee.

115. spoiler says:

World’s shortest podium or is Gary standing on a chair?

116. skidplate says:

It will be Yak or a trade.

117. DBO says:

Gret99zky:
    Gotta pee.

Just go man, just go. ……. oh that’s warm.

118. uni says:

spoiler,

Way ahead of you mate. Already had a beer, and after they draft that crazy Tartar I’ll have another.

119. skidplate says:

Here we go

120. bookje says:

They made the decision AFTER the scouts left the room. Hmmm?

121. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

That looks like an uncomfortable table… Stu doesn’t look too happy

122. CrazyCoach says:

I think they were saying Boo-ettman!

123. franksterra says:

What is this montage I’m hearing on CHED? Is it on TV too?

124. Cactus says:

Are they holding out for a last minute trade?

125. fuzzy muppet says:

Tambellini looks terrified. He looks like he knows he’s gonna screw this up…

126. Lucinius says:

They trading it or just not getting the hell up?

127. matmik says:

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty

source who would know says Oilers are taking yakupov, 100 percent all the way. Did owner Daryl Katz have some say in this?.

Retweet
    Favorite

128. DBO says:

Fuck, they look comfy. trade? fuck. vodka is painful straight up….,

129. Captain Obvious says:

What the fuck is taking so long?

130. spoiler says:

And first overall the Oilers take Teuvo Teravainen….

What!?

131. bookje says:

Yeeee ooolh

132. skidplate says:

Hopkins is looking good.

133. bookje says:

Fuckin Yak!!!!!!!

134. Derek says:

I`m so getting laid tonight.

135. DBO says:

Katz’ kid is Garfield, and fuzzy britches is a 15 yr girl.

No thank you to Pitt, no congrats to LA. Man Tambo, really.

136. Maverick says:

Thank Goodness!!!

137. bookje says:

Bookje Lives Another Day!!!!!

138. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Whoo hoo!!

139. fuzzy muppet says:

There you go, AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

140. Lucinius says:

No need to open the vodka… thank god.

141. skidplate says:

142. Gret99zky says:

awesome.

the world will not end today.

143. spoiler says:

The Nostradanus 2600 HD never lies. Never.

144. CrazyCoach says:

YAKMAS is here! YAKMAS is here! YAKMAS is here! YAKMAS is here!

145. bookje says:

I knew it all along. You are all suckers.

146. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Looks like they were really looking for a trade there and Stu was anxious to get going…. interesting to hear the story one day.

147. franksterra says:

I wish I had a beer. Wasn’t feeling good, so settled on ginger ale…

Thank God.

149. bookje says:

The MSN knows nothing Jon Snow

150. DBO says:

Katz, fire up the jet, load up the 4 kids and go visit Shultz on Sunday. Those two alone make this a good off season.

151. skidplate says:

Good answer

152. matmik says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

153. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy:
    Thank God.

Yup

new thread is up

154. Gret99zky says:

ok. enough of this lottery bullshit.

Go Oilers!

155. jake70 says:

Just told my 4 pak shooters to stand down.

156. uni says:

WTF, Lubomir VIshnovsky to the NYI for a 2nd round pick!

157. skidplate says:

Good pick for Columbus

158. bookje says:

I wish he would have responded to the question about playing with Hall, RNH, and Eberle with “They nothing compared to Nail. Nail is best ever. Nail make Hall look like little crying baby boy. Nail is best ever!”

159. vishcosity says:

I feel like an idiot for listening too closely to the rumours, still that was pretty good drama. I’ve done sweet nothing all day on account of this so I guess the Oilers gave me what I want, entertainment.

Beer is tasting pretty good, not sure if its because Yak is in Oiler blue or if the outside air is 43C.

Either way, they have at least one happy fan.

Hope the Oilers can trade up and land Grigerenko, I still think that’s a gamble worth taking.

160. Ribs says:

bookje:
    I wish he would have responded to the question about playing with Hall, RNH,and Eberle with “They nothing compared to Nail.Nail is best ever.Nail make Hall look like little crying baby boy. Nail is best ever!”

You know he wanted to.

Third person Nail is the best.

161. skidplate says:

Who was the blond in the blue dress?

162. skidplate says: