DRAFT WEEK POST #1: FUTURE OILERS?

We begin our countdown to the draft with a look at possible Oilers selections based on their own past and the available talent this year.

The Oilers spend a tremendous amount of time in the CHL, and most of that time has been devoted to the WHL. I don’t think we’ll see a huge change in their drafting this season–same scouts, same shopping list–so the template has been set.

• SECOND ROUND OPTIONS: The two players I hope Edmonton might look at with their 2nd rd pick are Henrik Samuelsson (Oil Kings) and Dalton Thrower (Blades). Samuelsson is a big power winger with good hands, and the club would certainly have a strong “book” on his work habits and how he’s regarded by his teammates.  Thrower improved a bunch this season and has a wide range of skills. Fine skater with good offensive ability, he’s also described as being physical and tough. The defender is 6.0, 185  which is undersized for the position. Tom Wilson (Plymouth Whalers) is a big PF with an enormous physical presence. The offense is going to be a question mark and we shouldn’t expect him to be a 40 point guy but there’s damn sure a market for Tom Wilson. He is reported to have a big brain, which is catnip for the Oilers–has been for years.
  • THIRD ROUND OPTIONS: Oilers have picks at 63 and 91 in this round, and they usually go after Coke machines, tall trees and goalies in this area. However, that 2nd rd pick could cover that need and there will be skill available at 63 and 91. I like Tim Bozon (Kamloops Blazers), he’s a good skater and passer, and scored 36-35-71 in 71 WHL games and he may be so good someone takes him before #63. Calle Andersson is another impressive defender from the Farjestad factory and might be available in this area. He’s an excellent passer and has calm feet. Brady Vail (Windsor Spitfires) is a two way winger who made huge progress season over season and is described as being a very good shadow for some of the OHL’s best opponents. Defender Esa Lindell (Jokerit) went 48, 21-30-51 in the Finnish junior league this season and is 6.02, 190. Interesting prospect.

Others

• Mitch Moroz (Edmonton Oil Kings) is a guy I’d think Edmonton will take in the third round if they like him, hoping he’ll turn into that big, tough winger who can keep up to the skill guys.
  • Francis Beauvillier (Rimouski Oceanic) He’s a stringbean and doesn’t appear to be a feature player, but he scored 16 even-strength goals in 67 games (tied for 2nd on the team). He’s a terrific skater and apparently played quite a bit on the PK. Might be worth a later selection.
  • Jimmy Vesey (South Shore Kings) Blame Kirk Luedeke for this one, he’s talked to me a few times about him and Redline has him as a sleeper pick. Has quickness and anticipates well, an older prospect (turned 19 last month).

51 Responses to "DRAFT WEEK POST #1: FUTURE OILERS?"

1. Rondo says:

LT,

What about Michael Matheson ? He could still be around at 32

or do you like Dalton more

2. remember reijo says:

Wilson in the second?
    !st round-BPA(skill)
    2nd round- Size and sandpaper that can skate
    3rd round- Show off your Stu(ff) and surprise
    4th-7th round- Meh, throw bones,dice and tea leaves on a draft roster. Hire a hot Gypsy chick to translate.

3. Ralph_u says:

How about Gaunce in Round 2?

I really like Thrower, plays in a tough league with size and skill. The worries over Matheson are size and strength, don’t think he’ll be an Oiler pick.

remember reijo:
    Wilson in the second?
    !st round-BPA(skill)
    2nd round- Size and sandpaper that can skate
    3rd round- Show off your Stu(ff) and surprise

6. remember reijo says:

Lowetide: this isn’t MY list, this is the group I think the Oilers might be looking at based on their own established tendencies.

remember reijo: Im agreeing….I think. Wilson in the second would be superb unless Subban was still there.

I don’t know that Wilson would have enough offense–although Lucic didn’t when he was drafted. Besides Wilson is exactly the player the Rangers will pick. Seriously.

8. The Duke of Hafford says:

Wilson also had 13 points in 13 playoff games. I think there is more player here then coke can and if Wilson was available in the mid 20′s I would trade up to get him.

9. Smarmy says:

He’s a tough boy though and pretty thick too. If the Oilers hire Brent Sutter you might see them take Lukas Sutter @ 91. To “keep it in the family” so to say. Aside from nepotism he’s a good hockey player. His offense will be limited but he shows good hands every now and then. Might become a Mike Keane sort of player.

10. Rondo says:

OT : Hypothetical

Who is the best team?

Chicago 2010

Boston 2011

LA 2012

11. remember reijo says:

Its an odd draft. every one in the top 100 with good size is a goalie it seems. Who the hell is Esa Lindell?…6’4 defensman with points from the finish junior league. Whats his story? 3rd round gem?

12. remember reijo says:

Rondo:
    OT :Hypothetical

Who is the best team?

Chicago 2010

Boston 2011

LA2012

Chicago….Kane wasnt an alchoholic yet, and they still had Buff,Ladd,Versteeg, Niemi and Cambell. They filled a lot of holes for a lot of teams in a short time. Even The early 90′s Oilers would say “Whoa…now thats an exodus”

13. Mr DeBakey says:

Wooo Hooo! Draft Week!

Now that the never-ending Spring Tournament is finally over, we can all focus on the draft.
    Christmas in June!

Thrower fails to make it to 30 methinks.
    Sadly

14. stevezie says:

remember reijo,

A few out of control weekends does not an alcoholic male. That said I’ll still take Boston. The best goalie, and scoring depth, though LA is close on both those counts. I think Chicago finishes 3rd in that tournament. I think Boston also has the best individual player in Chara, though I understand the cases to be made for Toews or Kopitar.

15. DSF says:

Lots of chatter out here on the Left Coast that Samuelsson has caught the eye of the Canucks.

He may be gone in the first round.

16. DSF says:

By the way has anyone seen the actual draft order yet?

We know the top 5 and bottom 2 for sure but haven’t seen a ranking of the rest.

17. Gerta Rauss says:

Draft order is here-I was just looking for it myself…

Oilers pick
    in the top 100-this is not adjusted yet for NJ decision to forfeit their pick(which we can all be sure they will)

18. spoiler says:

LT,

I know it’s human nature to look for patterns. Even moreso when a writer wants a narrative. I do the same. But I really have difficulty buying the whole drafting pattern business.

We have nowhere near enough data to say that there are clear tendencies. What are we going off here, 50 total picks for this scouting regime? Is there even a clear bias to Oiler picks over the NHL aggregate? Enough to exclude randomness? Most picks on the league whole come out of the CHL. It would seem to be folly to use what little data we have to try and predict management’s tendencies this year.

The odds are pretty good that the Oil will take at least a couple of kids from the CHL because they’re the biggest supplier to the draft, but those kids could be taken 5, 6, 7 or they might come as none this year and 8 picks next year.

I also have trouble believing the source league has any actual impact on the decision-making when comparing two players? Would it in any conversation between two intelligent people? “So the Czech guy has more skills and plenty of compete, but we’re drafting from the CHL because we trust those kinds of players more.” Or “we had two guys ranked pretty even but we decided to get to know the kid in the WHL more, as we like that league, so we’re going with him.”

I know I’ve already said it, but I really have a tough time believing that.

Now maybe we can say they have a recent bias against Russian-developed players, and I’d certainly agree, but again that’s pretty much a league-wide bias. Nor does eliminating one source really impede their options.

I think the Oil will pick whomever they like, from wherever they play. And I honestly believe that’s what they’ve always done. Just seems like there’s been too much overall variety in their selections.

19. Ryan says:

I’ll take what is Chicago for 2010, Alex.

That was a hockey team. Lordy the brand of hockey they played that season was mesmerizing. With quenneville’s coaching and that roster…wow.

Year one of the tank and started watching the hawks when I turned off the Oilers. I can’t say I’ve seen a more pleasing style of hockey to watch since the dynasty.

Granted, I don’t think I missed a single Pat Quinn interview. It was like watching a train wreck, you just couldn’t take your eyes off it. That and all the wondrous terms like fancy dans, Barbara Scott…

No clue about the 2nd or 3rd picks. Hope we can pull a Ryan o’reilly calibre player in the second though.

20. russ99 says:

So many good players come out of the second and third rounds, why limit ourselves to grit and coke machines? Stu doesn’t…

IMO, if the Oilers don’t acquire/draft a 6′+ center in the first round, that should be the target in the second.

Thrower is more hitter/goon that hockey player and Samuelsson’s upside is 3rd line center. We can do better than either. I like Jarrod Maidens at #32. Big with skill.

Also, we have both our second rounder and Anaheim’s, which could be used to move up into the late first round to select a second tier defenseman like Slater Koekkoek or Brady Skjei (which worked out real well for us with Klefbom last year) or one of better forwards that fall that far.

I’d love to see the Oilers take a shot at getting Tomas Hertl if he’s available in the early-mid 20s and the Oilers can move up. It may take both second round picks and a prospect to get that high.

21. Gerta Rauss says:

russ99,

We’ve got ANA 2nd round pick next year,but your point is still valid. It could be used as sweetener to move up from our current position in the 2nd round and may get us to 20/22/24 depending on who wants to trade down.

22. russ99 says:

Well by that draft order listing, we don’t have Anaheim’s 2nd round pick… where did I get that from??

Edit – ah, next year…

23. regwald says:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

29th pick, figured that would be the one to give. RT @TGfireandice: appears that the Devils have decided to hold their 2012 first pick.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

I assume there’s a player they’re very keen on. Will make this pick more intriguing.

24. regwald says:

Was surprised to Corey’s retweet. NJ keeping their pick. WOW, count me as shocked.

IMHO

If the Oilers draft Yakupov or Murray this year, it would be wiser to keep the two seconds next year for next year to package with the first to target one of the elite centres next year, rather than try to move up this year.

The Oilers should use existing players and this years picks to move up in the draft this year, not next years draft picks.

26. knighttown says:

Is anyone else concerned that the Oilers are building a team that, if the chips fall perfectly, would be a contender…in the 2009 NHL? Just as the pendulum has swung WAY over to the point that nameless, faceless players are more valuable than stars (at even strength) the Oilers are building a team of one-dimensional stars.

No one is scoring in the new NHL. Listen to this:
    -Bryce Salvador led the playoffs in even strength scoring. Some among us (who aren’t very smart) will say he elevated his game and that he’s a playoff warrior. I would hope most would realize that 80% of even strength goals scored in today’s game are absolute luck and he was rolling 7′s for the past two months.
    -Claude Giroux finished 4th in league scoring and he stopped playing on May 6. It goes without saying that Pittsburgh and Philly were the only two teams playing watchable hockey.
    -Anze Kopitar’s 20 points was the lowest total to lead a playoff in scoring since (gasp!) that shit-awful NJ Devils team who won the Cup pre-lockout led by Jamie Langenbrunner’s 18 points.
    - Only 1 non Pen/Flyer (Andy McDonald) managed to score more than a point/game. The year Chicago won 25 players managed to do that.

And please don’t tell me Jonathan Quick reincarnated Patrick Roy from 1993. In May and June, Quick faced more than 25 shots twice. I was in the Bell Centre the night Jaro Halak DID come back as Roy to knock off the Capitals in Game 6. In that series he faced 37, 38, 42, 47 and 54 shots (pulled in one and benched the next). That’s 220 shots in 5 games. And Quick gets a Conn Smythe and posts an historic Save Percentage. Laughable…I’d shudder to see the scoring chance variance.

So on to my rant. Why is the NHL the only league that won’t make entertainment their number 1 priority? Traditionalists will say to stop tinkering. You can’t go to 4-on-4. You can’t make the nets bigger. You can’t attempt to reduce shot blocking. THE GAME IS FINE.

This product? It’s not fine.

Someone please tell me why the NFL can call pass interference on the last play of the Super Bowl and the NHL won’t call obstruction in the playoffs. Tell me why NBA games often end on free throws after the buzzer but the NHL won’t call a tackle that takes away a scoring chance. These leagues make these tough call and you know what…no one dies!

Other leagues constantly tinker in an effort to increase offense, primarily to counteract some unforseen circumstance that has thrown the balance out of whack. I’m sure James Naismith never envisioned 7 footers who could dunk on a 12 foot hoop. If the NHL ran the NBA, Manute Bol would be a Hall of Famer because he’d have been allowed to play “great defense” by standing below the rim and goaltending for 60 minutes. Dean Smith tried to ruin the game by playing the 4 corners so the “game” responded by instituting a shot clock.

the NFL is constantly making life difficult for the cornerbacks by limiting hand checks to the first 5 yards (among other things). This is in response to brilliant defensive coordinators who have created amazing schemes that are virtually impenetrable. Great offensive coaches, with the help of the league, can counter these schemes and keep the balance but in hockey there are no more schemes.

We must never forget that it’s easier to coach and play to prevent goals and scoring chances than it is to create them. Offenses need help in all sports and there’s no crime in that. The NHL needs to set a target of ideal offense (I’d suggest 7-8 goals per game) and tinker until that number is hit. And when (not if) someone finds a way to beat the system, the system must evolve.

27. speeds says:

godot10,

I’m also against moving 2013 picks to move up this year, especially the 2013 first. I would expect the team to be better next year, but how much is reasonable? Is it possible they are in the top 5 again next year? I’m not sure I’d be moving the pick given that possibility. Even if you expect improvement next year, it’s tough to ignore the possibility that a team whose three previous finishes are 29th, 30th, and 30th might well be in the lottery again.

28. hunter1909 says:

knighttown:
    Is anyone else concerned that the Oilers are building a team that, if the chips fall perfectly, would be a contender…in the 2009 NHL?Just as the pendulum has swung WAY over to the point that nameless, faceless players are more valuable than stars (at even strength) the Oilers are building a team of one-dimensional stars.

No one is scoring in the new NHL.Listen to this:
    -Bryce Salvador led the playoffs in even strength scoring.Some among us (who aren’t very smart) will say he elevated his game and that he’s a playoff warrior.I would hope most would realize that 80% of even strength goals scored in today’s game are absolute luck and he was rolling 7′s for the past two months.
    -Claude Giroux finished 4th in league scoring and he stopped playing on May 6.It goes without saying that Pittsburgh and Philly were the only two teams playing watchable hockey.
    - Only 1 non Pen/Flyer (Andy McDonald) managed to score more than a point/game.The year Chicago won 25 players managed to do that.

And please don’t tell me Jonathan Quick reincarnated Patrick Roy from 1993.In May and June, Quick faced more than 25 shots twice.I was in the Bell Centre the night Jaro Halak DID come back as Roy to knock off the Capitals in Game 6.In that series he faced 37, 38, 42, 47 and 54 shots (pulled in one and benched the next).That’s 220 shots in 5 games.And Quick gets a Conn Smythe and posts an historic Save Percentage.Laughable…I’d shudder to see the scoring chance variance.

So on to my rant. Why is the NHL the only league that won’t make entertainment their number 1 priority?Traditionalists will say to stop tinkering.You can’t go to 4-on-4.You can’t make the nets bigger.You can’t attempt to reduce shot blocking.THE GAME IS FINE.

This product?It’s not fine.

Someone please tell me why the NFL can call pass interference on the last play of the Super Bowl and the NHL won’t call obstruction in the playoffs.Tell me why NBA games often end on free throws after the buzzer but the NHL won’t call a tackle that takes away a scoring chance.These leagues make these tough call and you know what…no one dies!

Other leagues constantly tinker in an effort to increase offense, primarily to counteract some unforseen circumstance that has thrown the balance out of whack.I’m sure James Naismith never envisioned 7 footers who could dunk on a 12 foot hoop.If the NHL ran the NBA, Manute Bol would be a Hall of Famer because he’d have been allowed to play “great defense” by standing below the rim and goaltending for 60 minutes.Dean Smith tried to ruin the game by playing the 4 corners so the “game” responded by instituting a shot clock.

the NFL is constantly making life difficult for the cornerbacks by limiting hand checks to the first 5 yards (among other things).This is in response to brilliant defensive coordinators who have created amazing schemes that are virtually impenetrable.Great offensive coaches, with the help of the league, can counter these schemes and keep the balance but in hockey there are no more schemes.

We must never forget that it’s easier to coach and play to prevent goals and scoring chances than it is to create them.Offenses need help in all sports and there’s no crime in that.The NHL needs to set a target of ideal offense (I’d suggest 7-8 goals per game) and tinker until that number is hit.And when (not if) someone finds a way to beat the system, the system must evolve.

The NHL playoffs have never sucked as bad as this season, maybe, but the fact is the old guard teams are all fading and as yet none of the newer teams have risen up to replace them. As a result, a form of chaos exists.

Whether the Oiler’s ever win a cup with the current management of Tambellini/Lowe+ Shop teacher is a far better question. Oh yes, add Horcoff to that “team” since he’s also guaranteed a job for life.

And, now that everyone fully understands Katz’s ignorance/arrogance re these hacks…

NJD keep the pick? Huh. Offer sheet?

30. DSF says:

NJD keep the pick? Huh. Offer sheet?

They may be planning to trade it.

31. regwald says:

NJD keep the pick? Huh. Offer sheet?

32. Gerta Rauss says:

I wonder what the actual process is ie:when NJ has to notify the league. Maybe they do have a target and if he is gone when 29 is called to the podium maybe Lou just whispers in Gary’s ear and forfeits the pick right there on the draft floor.

33. regwald says:

Gerta Rauss:

This is Lou after all … he makes up his own rules.

34. spoiler says:

KT,

I don’t think there’s that much difference between the Hawks in 2010 and the playoffs today. Sometimes the defensive teams do well and sometimes the offensive teams. And it’s not like LA lacked firepower. Or the Bruins. And Philly might have been in the final if they had managed to stay healthy and their goalie regained his sanity.

That said, I agree with your points about defense being easier than offense. We’ve all seen teams with grinder rosters over-achieve with systems play. I do think this is something that the NHL concerns itself with. They got a committee after all, even if it only meets twice a year and in a Monte Carlo casino. But they do make changes from that roulette table. The trapezoid was an effort to create offense. Offside rule. Delay of game for puck in the stands. Removing the two line pass. PP faceoffs. Etc. And of course everything comes with some unintended consequence.

But point taken in that there’s always room for improvement.

I’d like to see them trim goalie pads to whatever point they can without getting sued for safety. I’d like to see the blue line moved closer to centre or completely removed and go with a center line only. (experimented with that is).

I think the best change they can make though is to the dimensions of the ice. It’s the one change that will never happen, due to costs, but if they had thought of this at the beginning of this past building rage and of expansion/movement, they would be mostly there already. Pisses me off that. Olympic-sized ice would solve a lot of problems IMO.

Look at the differences between the NFL and the CFL. Which field promotes defense, size, power and which one offense, speed, and moves?

Fools.

But, I can’t say they don’t at least try to tinker.

As to the reffing and its philosophy, I’d have to say that the deciding game was one of poorest deciding games I’ve ever seen reffed, at least in the post-modern era, and the whole playoffs a shambles… especially in the first round and definitely including the disciplinary actions.

And yes, you’re dead on, changing that aspect of the game would go a long way to improving league offense… and the injury issues. We don’t see such BS in the Olys because the games are called a lot tighter.

35. spoiler says:

I still think we should pull a Lou Lamoriello and hire some NHL Lawyers and figure out if there’s anything preventing us from drafting Schultz. And take him 7th.

Tell me Lou wouldn’t do this.

36. spoiler says:

regwald: Wonder if they want to target Subban as their goalie of the future ? that’s what crossed my mind.

Possibly.

They do have Wedgewood though. How soon will Subban be ready if this is based on a Brodeur retirement?

Just seems strange they would do that when the odds are they will be giving up a better player next year. And no guarantee either top goalie will still be around.

Intriguing guess though. Goaltending is really their only time pressure, and the one position they’re likely to find value at drafting where they do.

37. regwald says:

Back to Lou … how about the reason he doesn’t want to give back the pick this year is he knows that he won’t have to come the next CBA ?? I can’t think of a reason why that would occur off hand, but what is the odds he will have a lower pick than this season ?

Highly unlikely. Something is afoot. What if there is a buy out clause and due to the huge $$ numbers for Kovalchuk, they buy him out. Do you think he could argue that the compensation/penalty assessed by Bettman is no longer valid ?

Just pondering because this makes no sense. Who holds out for a 29th overall pick ?

38. regwald says:

spoiler: Possibly.

They do have Wedgewood though.How soon will Subban be ready if this is based on a Brodeur retirement?

And Pronman on Wedgewood….

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Solid prospect, but dont bank on him. RT @lazyboyy: @coreypronman Nj’s need to find an heir to Brodeur has me wondering Wedgewood’s status

Maybe this is why ?

39. spoiler says:

Speaking of tweets, don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I believe BobbyMac recently twitted that he expects Grigorenko to fall past the 5th pick.

I know, I know. Not so shocking.

But from what we can tell, MacGregor rates him higher than that.

40. FastOil says:

knighttown,

Nicely put. Being an NHL hockey fan is infuriating because the league seems to see a different fan than the ones that pay the bills. People wanting a sense of fairness is a theme emerging throughout life in today’s world, but the league is dwelling in the old boys era – times long gone past.

And they wonder why the brand, although gaining some insignificant more views, remains an also ran and can’t sustain traction in non-traditional markets.

It just needs more time, right? Maybe it needs to make sense, all the time, to everyone. Of all people, Bettman should know this after his NBA experience. Growing a brand means the brand gains more relevance to more people. Or maybe he just got lucky before and is a good manager at keeping the status quo happy enough in his current role. Lightning rarely strikes twice.

41. spoiler says:

regwald: And Pronman on Wedgewood….

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Maybe this is why ?

???

That’s just the same speculation.

42. spoiler says:

Reg,

regwald:

Don’t know about this but I do think there’s a possibility that NJ’s dire financial straits are playing a role.

43. regwald says:

spoiler,

yes, the first comment I made about Subban was mine. I was just posting Pronman’s comment about Wedgewood.

44. spoiler says:

How does Pronman’s thoughts on Wedgewood affect things?

45. regwald says:

You said

spoiler:
    How does Pronman’s thoughts on Wedgewood affect things?

You said they have Wedegewood. I don’t know enough about him one way or another, but Pronman’s take was that he’s not a sure thing. And thus drafting another top goalie prospect is within the realm of possibility.

46. slopitch says:

Maybe Lou figures 2 years of development is worth more then the gap btw say 20th and 29th? Ballsy move, could backfire.

The NHL playoffs sucked this year. But if it was Pittsburgh vs Vancouver like most of us thought it would be, the entertainment value would have been much better.

Gerta Rauss:

6pm EST yesterday was the deadline for NJD to inform the NHL that this year’s pick would be the forefitted pick.

This year’s draft is supposedly very deep, so its not a stretch that his scouts think they can get a good player at 29.

If they project to pick 20th-ish next year and they see 3-4 payers they like who should be available at 29, its not tough to believe they keep it.

Sadly I don’t think Samulsson lasts until the 2nd round, his name is coming up often in coversations about risers in the draft.

48. Starving_Student says:

Hey LT,

Any chance in hell Oilers would take a chance on Martin Frk?

49. Ribs says:

I’m really hoping Frk is available, too. I have my doubts.

50. Doug McLachlan says:

I suspect Lou packages the 29th and the rights to Parise for a move up the draft board.

51. Rondo says:

Maybe NJ is keeping their pick because they are trading it away?