DRAFT WEEK POST #3: ASSETS

If the Oilers are going to be active trading picks and players on draft day, who might be heading out of town? Inbound?

A lot of what the Oilers need is likely to come via trade this summer. And of course something has to go the other way in order to make these things happen. Who is heading out? Who might be coming in?

OUT

1. 1st overall pick: Mirtle’s confirmation via Darren Dreger this morning is certainly a sign that the pick might be in play. I think it’s completely reasonable to suggest the top player on the Oilers’ list is not the player all the scouting services are suggesting is the best player in the draft. Oilers might try to add a later pick (say, 2nd round) and a roster player (perhaps a D or a 2-way winger who can play) as part of the package.
  2. 32nd overall pick: Should the Oilers end up with another pick in the early 30′s after the 1st pick is exchanged (should that happen), the club might be able to package 32 and 3? in order to move into the first round again and grab another coveted player. There appears to be a tremendous amount of sway in these lists, so Edmonton could end up with another player they hold in high esteem.
  3. Sam Gagner: Young C entering RFA summer and is arbitration eligible. The pricetag may become an issue as we know the Oilers will be sensitive to a big contract in front of the GNP contracts headed for Hall, Eberle and the Nuge. Fine young player, I hope they keep him and suspect they will. I’m listing him on the off chance a team offers a clear top 4D already at the NHL level with a bright future.
  4. Linus Omark: Oilers won’t bring him back and he may not have much current value (Omark might have to spend more time in Europe regaining his career) but he’s not expensive and did have a solid rookie year.
  5. Ben Eager: I think the next coach might want to keep him, but if not Eager should be a guy they can deal. Players of his type always have value to another team.
  6. Ryan Jones: There’s something to that old saying about “sell high, buy low.” Jones has been riffing like a maniac for two seasons over, Edmonton may want to cash their chips when they’re flush.
  7. Theo Peckham: Tough as nails blueliner had a difficult season and may need a change of scenery. He’s famous enough as a player to have value.
  8. Magnus Paajarvi: Edmonton surely likes him, but if they need to offload a young forward for a defenseman of similar age and value, the former top 10 pick might end up leaving town.

IN

1. D Fedor Tyutin, Columbus: He has good size for an NHL defenseman, is mobile and adept at moving the puck. He’s been healthy (this season aside, he broke his right hand). He is signed to a long contract, could come into the organization and serve as a legit top pairing option and he could also mentor some of the youngsters coming along.
  2. L Lars Eller, Montreal: Fleet winger with good size and some fine 2-way skill. Eller is an RFA so the contract might be a hurdle and of course he’s part of the future in Montreal.
  3. L Nikolai Kulemin, Toronto: Coming off a subpar season, there’s still a lot to like with this player. As mentioned earlier, his contract status would need to be solved before any deal.
  4. R Matt Frattin, Toronto: Looked good in spurts with the Leafs and had a terrific run in the AHL with the Marlies. Plays with some edge and does have some offense, he might be a player Edmonton values in that 3rd line RW slot.
  5. D Carl Gunnarsson, Toronto: Big defender who could step in to Edmonton’s top 4 in a heartbeat.

73 Responses to "DRAFT WEEK POST #3: ASSETS"

1. Rondo says:

LT,

MPS for PETER HOLLAND (Anaheim)?

I looked at that, but Holland would appear to have the inside track on a job there, no? Think he’s part of the future depending on what they do with Getzlaf.

3. Rondo says:

I guess both of them are question marks at the moment.

Nick Bonino and Brandon McMillan maybe are ahead of Holland on the depth chart .

Hard to know. I think Paajarvi’s problem is that he’s in a tough spot roster wise. Let’s say he doesn’t make it on the top 2 lines–and hell I don’t even know if he’ll get a look.

Then, he’s looking for 3line but the new coach wants some experience and probably someone who can handle Ryan Jones’ assignments when he goes walkabout. That’s a lot for a young player.

I do like Holland btw.

5. gr8one says:

If we’re dealing with Toronto, I’d be inclined to ask for Colborne in return. Something like first overall and Ryan Jones for the 5th, Schenn and Colborne, than take whichever of Galchenyuk or Grigorenko that;s hopefully still available at 5.

If building teams through the middle and with defense is the way to go than that gives us a pretty awesome set of young C’s going forward, it would make Gagner expendible for a trade to shore up the D even more and if we could also land Justin Schultz, then we’re really getting somewhere.

Then land a couple of UFA’s and my dream offseason would be complete with raiding the Coyotes forward corps and signing Doan and Pyatt.

Hall Nuge Eberle
    MPS Grigorenko Hemsky
    Doan Colborne Pyatt
    Eager Horcoff Harski

Smid Petry
    Whitney Schultz
    Schultz Schenn

6. Traktor says:

Traktor: Where did he say that? Hadn’t read it.

8. Rondo says:

Interesting in the mock draft 2009 MPS was ahead of OEL and Holland in most mock drafts.

9. MrSmitty says:

gr8one: If we’re dealing with Toronto, I’d be inclined to ask for Colborne in return. Something like first overall and Ryan Jones for the 5th, Schenn and Colborne,

If we are trading with Toronto Schenn should not be in the conversation. The conversation should start with Gardiner and if Burke doesn’t want to part with him he can go %$#& himself and we take Yakupov.

10. Traktor says:

“You need management to come in and add a few pieces that will really tweak the player’s interest going into training camp. Make it seem like a different team, a different element and turn the page on what has been a fairly painful period for Oiler fans and that the horizon looks bright.”

This was his quote on Oilers Nation.

I would assume adding a veteran 3rd line player or Staios type wouldn’t “really tweak the players interest” going into camp and “make it seem like a different team”.

Traktor: Thanks. That’s encouraging.

12. Traktor says:

On second glance that quote was under the “on coaching” headline but it sounds like he is talking about roster moves.

13. bookje says:

Why did you select a January Jones picture where she looks like so much like Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone?

I did a Google search and there are a few better pictures of her out there!

I like her eyes in the photo.

15. gr8one says:

MrSmitty: If we are trading with Toronto Schenn should not be in the conversation.The conversation should start with Gardiner and if Burke doesn’t want to part with him he can go %$#& himself and we take Yakupov.

16. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Traktor: I like the comment by MacT that Edmonton needs to make a big trade so the players will have a different feeling when coming to camp this year.

I think this is a mighty big stretch.

Possible options for his quote are draft inserts, prospect graduation, UFA, trade, coach/mgmt, even environment. Considering it was under coaching and he has been open about his desire to overhaul that aspect of the organization, then I think it is even a further stretch to suggest he is discussing a trade, let alone a ‘big trade’.

That said, for everything MacT has not shown abilities for in a GMish role, he has shown traces of ability to identify roster needs.

17. Ribs says:

I like her eyes in the photo.

She’s made a career off of that look.

18. Rondo says:

If Oilers are truly going to trade down I’m betting they are focusing in on Morgan Rielly.

19. jake70 says:

Gagner, first this year, first next for Tavares. Tavares offensive numbers and what he is giving up seem to be improving. 6 foot 190pound, only missed 3 games in 3 seasons so far, signed 6 years at 33M . Someone must have some pictures of Garth Snow to ‘encourage’ him to do that deal. Horcoff’s salary comes off Jul 1 2015.

LT, picture suggestions, Olivia Newton-John. 1970s.

Jake: pre or post leather pants?

21. leadfarmer says:

Hey LT and friends, long time listener firsttime caller. That January Jones used to babysit my wife when she was growing up back in South Dakota.

Leadfarmer: Suddenly, South Dakota is looking much better to me! :-)

23. leadfarmer says:

Terrible state for hockey but Thomas Vanek did got to high school in Sioux falls, SD

Just looked it up, only 2 SD born NHL players: Ossie and Emil Hanson. That’s crazy.

25. TheOtherJohn says:

gr8one: That was my initial thought at first too, but the more I thought about it the more I don’t mind the idea, as long as we get another puck moving D in a separate move…I suppose my thoughts are that I just really have a gut feeling that Schultz is going to sign with the Oilers,(who by all accounts is a slightly more offensively gifted version of Gardiner) and if that happens in my mind it makes it a lot easier to use our pick to shore up other ares of weakness. Colborne is a monster of a speciman, and was tearing it up in the AHL and looked great while sipping a cup of coffee in the NHL last season before getting hurt. and then you add another high end C in Grigorenko…well damned if that’s not a stacked 1-2-3 punch down the middle…and well, I’m not a huge fan of Schenn and his lack of offense but I do believe he will have a very long career as am elite shut down D of the Jason Smith ilk…only better.

gr8one,

Schenn hasn’t been able to keep his head above water against 2nd and 3rd pairing competition so far in his career and is already making 3.6MM/yr.

He may be a good man in the future, but he is still a project.

If you are trading out of the #1 slot for #5 and a player, you don’t want a project, but someone who has immediate worth as a NHL player against NHL comp.

Here’s the problem with Schenn: IF he works out perfectly he’s still fully paid. It isn’t like getting Jason Smith at 10 cents on the dollar because the kid is paid so damn much money. I like his future a bunch, but that contract is an albatross.

28. DSF says:

Rondo:
    LT,

MPS for PETER HOLLAND(Anaheim)?

Good grief.

Peter Holland is a 6’4″ 220lb centre, picked 15th overall, who just put up a 23 goal 60 point season in the AHL.

Paajarvi managed half that.

Holland will be a perfect #2C behind Getzlaf while it’s likely Paajarvi will be a 3rd line defensive specialist IF he learns to take the body and not be afraid of going to the net.

29. DSF says:

TheOtherJohn: Joe Colborne is scoring at a .55/GM clip in his 21st and 22nd year. That projects to a third line center at NHL level. Have zero interest trading for him. He was average in AHL playoffs as well

Joe Colborne was leading the AHL in scoring until his call up to the Leafs.

When he was sent down, he had a wrist injury which he had surgery for last week.

He’s much better than his numbers would indicate.

DSF: Paajarvi managed half that in half a season. Imagine that!

31. gr8one says:

Which is exactly where I have him pencilled in…if my post would have been fully read it would have been understood I wasn’t suggesting Colborne coming in and being our #1 or #2 C…my thoughts on the matter are about using our pick to bring some size, depth and balance to our lineup, so getting two big bodied C’s and a good defenseman in return for Yakupov to me sounds pretty damn good, especially with the Elite high end skill that both Grigorenko or Galchenyuk have.

Also, as far as Colborne’s PPG go I believe that stat to be very misleading since it’s been fairly well documented that after starting off tearing it up in the AHL at well over a PPG pace with the sudden dramatic dropoff being due to an injury that he played through most of the year and playoffs.

As far as Schenn goes though, great points by all, especially the contract point LT made…but TO has other options on D we could consider in lieu of Schenn, Gunnarson, Franson, etc…

/Edit.

(What DSF said, lol.)

32. Rondo says:

I think Getzlaf is 6 ’4 220 not Holland

33. DSF says:

DSF: Paajarvi managed half that in half a season. Imagine that!

Paajarvi would have scored 15 goals and 50 points pro rated over a full season.

Magnus is so tough he had 4 PIM.

Holland had 59.

Rondo:

I think Getzlaf is 6 ’4220not Holland

Did I list something wrong? Looking but can’t find lol

37. DSF says:

Woodguy: Ducks website lists Holland at 6’3″ 200lbs

Just a sylph of a boy.

Can’t find the link to his updated stats but did see it.

The Ducks are likely going to take a major step forward shortly with Holland, Etem, Palmieri and Smyth-Pelly all about to graduate.

Getzlaf, Holland, Koivu, Bonino and MacMillan is a great group of centres.

Defense and goaltending still an issue though.

38. Rondo says:

You didn’t but DSF listed his height and weight wrong

Gregor has an article up at ON.

Intereesting take on the draft by MacT:

“I think you want the best player, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the best player in the next couple years, but the best players 10-15 years down the road. And by franchise players, I mean players that make your organization competitive for 15 years. Players like Sakic and Forsberg in Colorado. They did everything well. They were great leaders, they played well on both sides of the puck, they were very good offensively, physically solid and very good offensively. Detroit had four franchise players; Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg who were their best examples of what players need to do to be successful. New Jersey had Brodeur, Scott Stevens and Patrick Elias. Ray Bourque made Boston competitive for 17 years, and those are the types of players you don’t want to overlook in this draft by just immediately taking the guy who is great now. It is a deeper decision that just who is the best player at that (now) time.”

More smoke that they are trading out of #1.

40. sliderule says:

The only trade I can see the three headed management agreeing to is Columbus for Tyutin and their 2nd and if we really play hardball their 31st.

The other clubs either have little that they can offer and or the pick is really iffy.

I am concerned about Oiler amateur scouting after hearing some of the stupid reasons they are giving for shying away from Yakupov.

Other than Eberle and our two first picks we don’t know if any of the lower picks will turn out. Gernat and Reider are tracking OK but the two goalies last year look bad.Drafting Hamilton Musil and Simpson smacks of nepotism as they either have been involved with club or management.

Woodguy:
    Gregor has an article up at ON.

Intereesting take on the draft by MacT:

More smoke that they are trading out of #1.

Yep. And if they’re trading down it may well be Reinhart.

42. Cactus says:

sliderule:

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. This team makes more than enough mistakes without seeing a damn conspiracy around every corner. Hamilton may have been a down season last year, but he was by no means a reach or a bad bet at his draft position. Same with Musil, who was doing well until an untimely knee injury. Can’t see how Simpson qualifies as nepotism as his dad works for the CBC. Besides, by most accounts, he had a great season in the NCAA for his age.

Seriously, let’s stop this kind of nonsense and concentrate on more serious matters – like obsessing about the Oilers trading the number 1 pick based solely on the unsubstantiated rumour du jour.

sliderule,

Care to share a couple of the reasons?

Poise?

Cockiness?

Rich family?

44. sliderule says:

The reasons I was told .

Long shifts and wouldn’t leave ice.Sounds like Hall in Windsor.

Family involvement .I thought his family was still in Russia as he lived with Galchenyuk.

Teammates dislike him.In2010 heard same rumor about Hall.Sarnia manager said Yak was most popular guy on team..

As the guy was a WHL scout it must have been secondhand but those sound like type of reasons you give when you really really want to pick another player just maybe Murray.

45. PDO says:

The only time a consensus #1 has been dealt was Lindros.

The ’03 trade isn’t a fair comp; there was no consensus #1.

So.. that’s the type of return the Oilers should need to see before they even think about budging.

46. PDO says:

sliderule:
    The reasons I was told.

Long shifts and wouldn’t leave ice.Sounds like Hall in Windsor.

Teammates dislike him.In2010 heard same rumor about Hall.Sarniamanager said Yak was most popular guy on team..

He’s the Russian version of Hall in a lot of ways.

Oilers are trying to talk themselves out of it.

I wonder if Columbus trades up just to make sure they get Yakupov? Hadn’t thought of it before, but if the guy in front of you is dancing with Grace Kelly but not making the move, then don’t you tap him on the shoulder?

sliderule:
    The reasons I was told.

Long shifts and wouldn’t leave ice.Sounds like Hall in Windsor.

Thanks.

Sounds like a bunch of horseshit.

PDO:
    The only time a consensus #1 has been dealt was Lindros.

The ’03 trade isn’t a fair comp; there was no consensus #1.

50. PDO says:

Lowetide: Hmmm. Lindros was an absolute generational talent though, right? 99, Mario, Lindros? I don’t think that is a good comp for Yakupov. Clear #1, but Lindros?

He’s not Lindros, but he is a clear #1.

And that makes it a much more comparable situation in my mind.

In ’03 MAF, Staal and Horton… it was anyone’s guess who was #1. The difference was negligible. This year, there’s one guy, and he’s head and shoulders above everyone else.

Simply cannot trade him unless you’re getting back a ransom.

51. bookje says:

Ok guys, slideruler (who?) post some posts about things he’s heard about what the Oilers amateur scouts are thinking about Yak .

It will be in the MSN tomorrow as a ‘source’. They got nothing.

52. Cactus says:

bookje:

It will be in the MSN tomorrow as a ‘source’. They got nothing.

Exactly right, Bookje. As I said in the last thread, at various times in the last month, we’ve heard a variety of rumours that first confirmed that Murray was the pick, then confirmed it was Yakupov and now clearly show it’ll be traded. At some point, we need to look at this a bit more calmly and objectively and say “the media is throwing everything at a wall, just to see what sticks, post-draft”.

53. Henry says:

Sorry to change the subject of the thread, but Matt Cain is perfect through eight. If you have access to this game check it out. Most dominant performance I’ve seen since randy Johnson chewed up atlanta.

54. gd says:

Henry,

Exciting news. I wish I saw it. Going to see the Giants play in Seattle this weekend. Hopefully figure out what’s wrong with Lincecum.

55. Henry says:

Lincecum changeup used to be the best pitch in baseball. They aren’t swinging at it now and are walking or sitting on fastballs.

56. Henry says:

gd,

Have fun at the game. Safeco is a great place to see a game.

57. mattwatt says:

DSF: Paajarvi would have scored 15 goals and 50 points pro rated over a full season.

Magnus is so tough he had 4 PIM.

Holland had 59.

Imagine that?

58. Schitzo says:

Rondo:
    Interesting in the mock draft2009 MPSwas ahead of OEL and Holland in mostmock drafts.

I’m a little late to the party, but MPS was ranked in the top three as late as the WJHC that year. He slid as the draft got closer.

Suppose

1) Columbus gets #1 and players from Toronto.
    2) Toronto gets Rick Nash.
    3) Edmonton gets #5 and Jake Gardiner

Are we happy?

60. LP says:

godot10:
    Suppose
    1) Columbus gets #1 and players from Toronto.
    2) Toronto gets Rick Nash.
    3) Edmonton gets #5 and Jake Gardiner
    Are we happy?

Yes please. Sign me up.

61. Nail and Nuge says:

Lowetide, I am a fan of yours and this site- but I don’t understand the last few posts seemingly advertising the move the pick opinion:

” I think it’s completely reasonable to suggest the top player on the Oilers’ list is not the player all the scouting services are suggesting is the best player in the draft.”

9/10 scouts select Yakupov number 1. ~90% of fans at Hfboards want the Yak. Why are you joining this Eastern media mentality of you can’t have that much skill and not address D?

Irritating.

62. jb says:

Nail and Nuge:

Irritating.

Still seems likely we see a significant addition or two before the season starts..

Highly unlikely the first get’s moved… but we know we’re getting something real nice in return if we do..

Ideally you draft Yakupov then add Suter. Then start getting guys on Tavares like contracts..

Drafting a defenseman obviously won’t fill an actual roster need for a few years.. so your not gonna see a D go first overall..

63. Archie says:

LT have have no problem trading down and drafting a D or a big Center, as long as it is in the top 6.

Do you really think that Carl Gunnarsson would crack the top 4 D in Edmonton, who would he replace. He’s not go enough to replace either Smid or Schultz and he’s not a PMD, so Petry and Whitney are safe. Forget about Joe Colborne, has poor lateral movement, and no heart, almost sounds like Martindale. Love to have Schenn, he just had poor luck to have bad coaching and was asked to do to much for his skill set.

Cannot understand why the Oilers are looking at Grigorenko. he’s big and has all the skills, but he’s another soft player that will do his best Ostrich imitation for the rest of the game if he is hit hard. I thought the Oilers we’re looking for some grit to play in their top 6.

64. Archie says:

jb,

Dreaming to believe the Oilers would have a chance at Suter. He’ll be grossly overpaid, tying up to much cap space you’ll need in the future to sign your young stars.

bookje:

It will be in the MSN tomorrow as a ‘source’. They got nothing.

Doesn’t mean shit in the scale of the universe, but there it is.

Nail and Nuge:

Irritating.

LT is on record saying he’s pick Yakupov.

He is talking about what *may* happen and how it reasonable to suggest that this is what the Oilers are thinking, not what what LT is thinking.

67. bookje says:

I heard Yakupov slept with Tambellini’s wife and that’s why the Oilers hate him so much.

68. Cactus says:

Woodguy: For the record, I hear things 3rd/4th hand from time to time and Sliderule is saying the same things re: Yak that I heard elsewhere.

Doesn’t mean shit in the scale of the universe, but there it is.

Woodguy, I don’t necessarily doubt that you or Sliderule or others might be getting some information indirectly from Oilers’ personnel. I (and possibly Bookje, if I can dare to speak for him) think that even these rumours and pieces of information are still unreliable. For all we know, it’s coming from one or two scouts that had their hearts set on Murray and are now disgruntled that Edmonton probably won’t take him. Perhaps instead, all these tidbits are part of a concerted campaigns of small leaks meant to drum up potential trade offers.

The problem is we don’t know and we won’t know for about 8 days. I’m all for speculation (such as discussing possible trade offers), but a few people ’round here (not you, not LT) need to stop treating these rumours as truth from heaven.

69. Maverick says:

Nice idea LT, this might be exactly what the Oilers are hopeing for.

70. DSF says:

mattwatt: Why does Magnus have to be tough? That is not his game. He stays on the wings, always in a strong defensive position, and gets the puck going in the right direction. May not be top 6 material, I can get behind that, but that doesn’t mean MPS will not be an effective NHLer. The tools for an effective NHLer are there, just depends on whether he gets enough attempts at the plate or not.

Find me a third line winger that won’t take the body and I’ll find you a league for him to play in.

It isn’t the NHL.

Cactus,

Agreed.

Rumours should be treated exactly as such.

72. TigerUnderGlass says:

It takes a lot of nerve to make a move on Grace Kelly.