DRAFT WEEK POST #5: BUYERS ARE LIARS

This is Ron Greschner. He was a solid NHL defenseman for a long time, scored a huge goal in Ranger history that lives in infamy. Greschner’s draft story involves a blatant lie from Emile Francis.

Before the 1974 NHL entry draft, Greschner was regarded as the #11 overall selection in that season’s edition. Francis, the GM of the New York Rangers and a man known for integrity (seriously) used his 1st rd pick on Dave Maloney and wanted the young puck mover from Goodsoil, SK in the second round.

Problem. Greschner played for a famous junior team (New Westminster Bruins) and was certainly on the list of all NHL teams.

• Greschner: “He (Francis) told people I had broken my leg. Back then there was none of this tweeting and he put it into an article. This was so he could draft me in the second round.”

We are seeing something weird in this draft, too. Nail Yakupov, #1 on every list known to man for months, has seen his draft stock fall since the combine. Although there has been no indication in print or on radio as to exactly what is causing the fall, the possibility exists that Yakupov may go lower than #1. It’s also possible that if Yakupov is taken #1, it will not be the Oilers calling out his name.

In the article I linked to this morning, Bob McKenzie said “Yakupov has been perceived most of the season as an elite guy, but his playoff concerned some scouts, so that ‘can’t miss’ franchise-type player may not be as obvious this year.” David Staples posted the item  at Cult of Hockey and then argued that it shouldn’t sway the decision.

1. Yakupov suffered a concussion mid-season and his performance lagged. Is that the cause for alarm?
  2. Is it his verbal agent who went public with trade scenarios involving the Leafs?
  3. Or is it in fact a few post-season games?

Surely a few playoff games isn’t enough to take the bloom off the rose.

EDIT TO ADD: And as it turned out, that is exactly the case. As LoganOil points out in the comments section, the McKenzie comments jive perfectly with the words he used on the lottery edition of tsn’s coverage.

73 Responses to "DRAFT WEEK POST #5: BUYERS ARE LIARS"

1. Maverick says:

interesting times ahead…. 8 days to go…. only 192 hours to go until we will find out who the Oilers will draft!

Or maybe more importantly who they do not draft. I think we all might need nerves of steel this week might be a long one.

2. Nail and Nuge says:

I don’t mind the gamesmanship being played by Eastern media, but I do take exception to local Edmonton groups like Tencer and Stauffer fanning the flames. I accused you of doing the same thing yesterday. I respect the take of D. Staples and this article: acknowledge it for what it is and maintain the voice of reason.

3. Archie says:

David Staples loves Yakupov and thinks he’s the next Theoren Fleury, problem is Edmonton doesn’t have the goon squad like Calgary did. With Yakupov’s cocky attitude the team that drafts him is going to have someone to keep the goons from taking runs at him. IMO it’s his agents mouth that started the decline.

4. BlacqueJacque says:

I’ve been following draft after draft like every Oilers fan, and I seem to recall – please correct me on this if I’m wrong – that playoff performances were often downplayed, whether good or bad, in the past. Seguin didn’t drop out of the top two and was in the running for first at least until the combine, IMO.

Much as I dislike Dithers and Lowe, I have to admit that in retrospect, they did a good job obscuring their intentions in 2010. Perhaps they’re blowing smoke again?

5. nathan says:

Option 1, 2, or 3? None of the above.

Or rather the headline above. Burke and every anonymous exec who wants to trade up are honorable men. And so are there media perps.

6. Cactus says:

LT, at what point does familiarity breed contempt? You’ve got three eminently plausible reasons there, yet not a single major scouting or ranking organization has seen fit to bump Yakupov from the #1 slot.

Sometimes, when you look at a piece of art for a very long time (or, perhaps more germane to this blog, a pretty girl), you start to find yourself searching for flaws. In this case, the process is exacerbated by the media who desperately need something new to talk about and Oilers’ management who are deliberately obtuse.

Cactus: I don’t have the answer. All I can say is that from what we know Yakupov is clearly the top choice. It looks like it won’t play out that way. What’s the disconnect?

Wish I knew.

8. Rondo says:

This would be funny,

We do a trade with Montreal , they get the first pick and choose Alex Galchenyuk

Columbus chooses Murray and Edmonton at #3 picks Yakupov

I see the Jackets have suggested they may trade down too. That could mean Burke gets one and two.

10. Archie says:

Do you actually believe that Burke has the assets.

Nail and Nuge:

I think the anger is misplaced. Do you know of anyone in media or blogs who is suggesting the Oilers take someone other than Yakupov?

12. spoiler says:

I really don’t see Burke spending actual NHL players to get the 1st and 2nd overall. And he has little else in the way of currency. There is no way the Leafs are starting a rebuild.

13. sliderule says:

The oilers have diminished Yakupov.

Stu and his big mouth scouts have said that he is not the number one that maybe there are five others in the same ballpark.

The other teams now know we really really want Murray so why would they offer us a lot for Yak if they know that we think he could be a five or six.

The nice thing about this is that if this works out bad there will be a lot of new faces in oiler scouting and management next year.

14. hunter1909 says:

Cactus,

Or, try watching an experimental film where the first scene is a static shot of an empty room for 45 minutes, followed by a 37% zoom in on shot 1 for another 35 minutes. Maybe with an off camera argument at the 68:00 mark.

Oilers Darkest Secret: They’re really running an invasion portal from an alien dimension – the hockey thing is just for show.

15. Rondo says:

If I was looking to shake the tree, I would not commit to one player.

Maybe they are thinking Columbus wants Murray

and Montreal wants Galchenyuk.

So Edmonton says there is no #1 . That would make Columbus and Montreal nervous if those are the players they want.

16. DSF says:

spoiler:

Burke has a a great deal of currency.

17. jb says:

Well that was quick. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634676

DRAMA! If that’s your thing this’ll be a fun week!

JB: But where in hell is this coming from? It’s like Dallas, where they killed off Bobby and POOF!!!! he’s back! This was a “Oilers are going to pass on YAK????!!!!!!” story that’s turning into a “well, it could be anybody” story.

WHY?

19. spoiler says:

DSF: Burke has a a great deal of currency.

Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri,Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs, Greg McKegg, Brad Ross and Stuart Percy are all highly regarded prospects.

You’re joking, right?

20. hunter1909 says:

Is it possible this team is being run by sociopaths?

21. spoiler says:

WHY?

The only story we have, thus far, is that those storytellers who tell stories about the draft disagree on what the story will be.

22. spoiler says:

For some reason my reply to DeeEssEff is “awaiting moderation”.

For the record, it was “You’re joking, right?”

spoiler: 3 reporters disagreeing on who they think Oil should take #1 is indicative of sweet fuck all.

So you think the Oilers take Yakupov?

24. DSF says:

spoiler:
    For some reason my reply to DeeEssEff is “awaiting moderation”.

For the record, it was “You’re joking, right?”

25. Nail and Nuge says:

Anger is a strong word here- I prefer frustrated. The de-valuation of a premiere player is what bothers me. Yakupov is consensus number one and aside from Willis and Staples I have not seen a push back from the Oiler bloggers and media to fight what amounts to a smear campaign. Your article here is what I was hoping to see more of.

Will any of it matter? I certainly hope the Magnificent one is not susceptible to these last minute scare tactics.

26. Cactus says:

This media furor only means something if you accept that “where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” I’d submit to you that that COULD be the case, but it could also be one of the following:

-There’s no smoke at all. Someone saw it wrong.
    -It’s just someone puffing on a cigar – not the right fire.
    -Somone is deliberately sending up smoke signals to lead people astray.
    -Someone thought there was smoke and announced it to the world. Others, hearing this, decided to embellish it further and say there was a lot of smoke. Then someone said they had actually seen a fire. Basically, think back to that old game “telephone”.

I’ve definitely taken this metaphor too far, but I think the basic point remains: there are a number of potential explanations and only one of them suggests that these rumours have any merit.

27. bookje says:

Ok everyone – this is a dreadfully boring first pick – It’s Yakupov – everyone knows it and has known it for months.

However, that does not ‘sell papers’ so the media does their little “Maybe it’s not Yak” thing to get you and everyone else caring about hockey in late June.

The NHL wants drama, so it chirps in.

The Oilers like to obfuscate, so they even throw out some curveballs (even though all three of their GM’s have said that with the first pick overall they have to pick the best player available).

Guys like Burke want the Oilers confused so they throw out rumours to try and shake things up.

Now that we have discussed all of the people who have reasons to create tremendous drama where there is none, lets take a few minutes and consider the people who have a motivation to calm things down and state the obvious boring reality of things:

28. Gret99zky says:

Well, I sure as hell am tuning in tomorrow!

Nail and Nuge:

I haven’t seen any bloggers devalue Yakupov. Honestly. There appears to be universal agreement on it, to be honest I don’t recall reading anything at all that suggested Nail wasn’t #1 save for a well thought out article by Jason Gregor at ON.

As for my “recent” smearing of Yakupov, I wrote my first article suggesting Murray and Reinhart as possibilities on April 23. It is here. http://oilersnation.com/2012/4/23/completing-the-fab-four

I’ve maintained that it is possible because that is the message I’ve been reading from this organization. The MacT item Woodguy posted here the other day is a massive tell imo. Think what you will, there is no conspiracy here.

I am curious though. Seems to me things have broken wide open today.

30. mattwatt says:

DSF: Burke has a a great deal of currency.Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs, Greg McKegg, Brad Ross and Stuart Percy are all highly regarded prospects.Some folks tend to forget that Burke had two first round picks last year and has been very active in signing NCAA free agents.

For someone who constantly bashes the Oilers prospect pool, your defence of Toronto being asset-rich does not jive. Kadri is having a harder time breaking into the NHL than MPS. Colborne is solid but not otherwordly. Biggs has less upside than Reider, and Percy is not even on the same level of expected talent as many of the Oiler’s defence prospects.

Yet Toronto is asset-rich. I am confused.

Also, you alluded to yesterday that all 3rd line wingers who play in the NHL must play a physical game. Then what the hell is Drew Miller doing still hanging around?

Unless you mean playing the body as to get in areas of contact, not necessarily make a hit. MPS does that already, in the games I have seen. No, he does not paste people, but he does not need to for him to have an effective game (see: Ward, Joel ). He just has to take his man, which he does often. Why must he do more than that? Do you want him to bleed all over them, to let them know he is there?

31. mattwatt says:

Lead up to this draft has had too many turns for my liking. Do not understand it at all. Glad I am not the only one to feel this way.

32. spoiler says:

Lowetide: So you think the Oilers take Yakupov?

I’m also pretty sure that up to the actual draft announcement, I’m going to have no certainty about who the Oilers are going to take, just as I had no certainty the past drafts. And I’m okay with that (I kinda have to be).

Trying to figure it out by sifting through conflicting rumours is like panning for gold in molten lava. Kinda futile and a good way to get burned, despite the good intentions.

They need a Dman, a Centre would be nice, and there’s an elite winger available too, who is still by far and away the only consensus elite player. I’m pretty much okay with whatever they choose to do. I can make arguments for each one. I’m sure they can too. And we certainkly know the storytellers can. And we’ll have no idea who’s right or wrong for years, lol.

mattwatt:

That’s the Oilers. Now, they could be blowing smoke as is suggested above, but that doesn’t really change the wider view–the national story as it were. Now, Bob McKenzie says scouts are telling him the post-season has scouts questioning things and when he sneezes nhl.com catches cold.

I’m telling you its weird.

spoiler: I have no idea. But one thing I’m certain on, is that three guys who have to provide three different mock drafts for their bosses and then proceed to do so is not in any way a scouting report on Yakupov, lol.

35. spoiler says:

DSF: No.

Lol. Don’t take the out then.

36. mustang says:

When it comes right down to it, there is one man employed by this NHL team that I trust will make the right call with the number 1 pick, he’s the man we all like to call MBS.

Thank the Lord Stu is making that call for Oiler Fanatics, I hope Tamby has the sense to let him do his job.

37. spoiler says:

Lowetide: So the MacT comments, and the changing McKenzie verbal, and what apparently happened today on CHED are just coincidence?

A coincidence of what?

38. DSF says:

mattwatt: For someone who constantly bashes the Oilers prospect pool, your defence of Toronto being asset-rich does not jive. Kadri is having a harder time breaking into the NHL than MPS. Colborne is solid but not otherwordly.Biggs has less upside than Reider, and Percy is not even on the same level of expected talent as many of the Oiler’s defence prospects.

Yet Toronto is asset-rich. I am confused.

What gauge is that shotgun?

Kadri isn’t having a harder time than MPS. He just happens to play for a team that doesn’t throw all it’s prospects into the deep end and hope they can swim.

Kadri scored at a .833 clip in the AHL last season and .333 in the NHL.
    Paajarvi scored at .725 clip in the AHL and .195 in the NHL.

Make of that what you will.

Matt Frattin scored at a .783 clip in the AHL.
    Tyler Pitlcik scored at a .370 clip.

Make of that what you will.

Joe Colborne, who was leading the AHL in scoring before a wrist injury, still managed to put up 16 goals and 39 points in the AHL.

Make of that what you will.

Brad Ross scored 42 goals, 82 points and 163 PIM! for the Portland Winterhawks.
    Tobias Reider scored 42 goals and 84 points with the Kitchener Rangers.

Make of that what you will.

Considering both teams have been woefully inept for the better part of two decades, suggesting one team has a better prospect pool, or more “currency” is just silly.

Burke can easily match the Oiler prospect pool and given his success in signing undrafted NCAA players and Europeans, I’d put my money on him.

And, yeah, I’d sure build a team around Drew Miller.

spoiler: A coincidence of what?

If those things had happened over a period of weeks, then I can understand it. We’ve had comments from various sources, the Oilers invited 5 instead of Hall-Seguin, etc. But the McKenzie comments–just before his final list Monday which from what we now know will read a lot differently that this:

“It’s Yakupov and everyone else,” one scout told TSN. “We always talk about where there’s a drop-off in talent in the first round. Well, this year’s it after No. 1.”

To this

No mention at the draft lottery, nothing around the combine.

40. mustang says:

Heard on “Oilers now” today a conversation between Stauffer and Tencer, and Tencer was saying something to the effect that he had a conversation with Gare Joyce with regards to Yak and there could be issues with the KHL and the Kremlin basically going to give millions to Yak to play in Russia and there would be no way a NHL team could compete. They were also spitballing the idea of a work stoppage could mean big trouble if Yakupov went to Russia.

41. fuzzy muppet says:

This is lunacy.

Scouts didn’t like his game in the playoffs? Wow, a kid coming off a concussion and a leg injury didn’t play up to the standards of being the best player in the world in his age grouping. SO WHAT

He’s the best player in his age group and has been for 2 YEARS.

A scout yesterday posted on twitter he had the fastest hands he’s seen…EVER.

The only concern I’d have is the concussion. All the other perceived issues (Russian factor, size, playoff performance) are utter bullshit.

If they are softening the blow for them to take Murray, i’ll blow a gasket. Especially after MacT said managements job is to recognize “value”.

42. spoiler says:

Lowetide: It’s weird. Real weird. I mean, the Oilers bring in 5 guys and we can suss out that Reinhart and Forsberg aren’t likely because there was no command performance. Okay, Galchenyuk (who I really like) is out but you still have Yakupov, Grigorenko and Murray.

I’m telling you its weird.

Okay so let me get this straight…

1. The Oilers do their due diligence, just as they have done in the past years
    2. McKenzie says the story is somewhat different from February, just as he has done in the past
    3. Three writers paid to come up with three mock drafts do so, just as they have done in the past

…is weird?

What would be weird is if these three things hadn’t happened.

43. loganoil says:

What on earth is going on today?
    McKenzie said the same thing at the Lottery.
    And, still 9 out of 10 scouts placed Yakupov at #1.
    The only poeple running with this story are the ones based in Edmonton.

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip655367 (11:20 mark)

44. loganoil says:

What makes you say this comment,

“Nail Yakupov, #1 on every list known to man for months, has seen his draft stock fall since the combine.”

I would suggest the opposite.
    Yakupov had a great Combine, with articles written about it on the Oilers website and
    NHL.com.
    And, since his visit to Edmonton, the poll numbers in favour of him being selected by the Oilers increased.
    Do you have any proof that his stock went down?
    Please don’t quote a comment that McKenzie orginally made in April.

loganoil:
    What on earth is going on today?
    McKenzie said the same thing at the Lottery.
    And, still 9 out of 10 scouts placed Yakupov at #1.
    The only poeple running with this story are the ones based in Edmonton.

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip655367 (11:20 mark)

Yes, absolute proof. Good find by you and I’m certainly wrong.

loganoil:

What makes you say this comment,

I would suggest the opposite.
    NHL.com.
    Do you have any proof that his stock went down?
    Please don’t quote a comment that McKenzie orginally made in April.

No, as I mentioned above I was basing my premise on McKenzie’s verbal changing from the lottery video. But, as you’ve proven, that was incorrect.

47. bookje says:

I’m Freaking out man, I’m totally freaking out, what is going on man…

48. spoiler says:

Even if the verbal had changed, what difference would it make to anything? I’d expect it to change when it was based on a February poll. Still be nothing to get excited about.

And we all know consensus has never meant unanimous, right?

49. nathan says:

Not things breaking wide open.
    Just nerves breaking right down.
    Where there is smoke someone is trying to make a fire.

50. hunter1909 says:

bookje,

Sacrifice a chicken or something.

51. Traktor says:

DSF:

Matt Frattin scored at a .783 clip in the AHL.
    Tyler Pitlcik scored at a .370 clip.

Make of that what you will.

Maybe if Pitlick is still an AHL player in 3 years we can package him the 1st overall in 2015.

I say we hang him!

53. Maverick says:

Maverick:

Or maybe more importantly who they do not draft.I think we all might need nerves of steel this week might be a long one.

Wow! In the four hours since I made this post I was dead right. Folks, we all are going to need nerves of steel this week! Cause heaven only knows what in the world the Edmonton Oilers’ braintrust is thinking.

We can only hope for the best and fear the worst and it seems the worst is yet to come. Going to be a long 8 days until the draft.

Well it would help if the blog author could get his facts straight. :-)

This basketball game is crazy.

55. dawgtoy says:

I say we hang him, then we kill him

56. DSF says:

Traktor: Matt Frattin was drafted 4 years before Tyler Pitlick. Typical DdSsFf comparison.

Matt Frattin went to college for four years and developed properly.

I expect if Pitlick is still an AHL player in 3 years he’ll be history.

Pitlick is three years younger than Frattin so there is some hope but Frattin performed better all the way along.

Should mention that Frattin was selected in the fourth round, 99th overall while Pitlick was selected in the second round, 31st overall.

Looks like someone has an eye for talent.

57. bookje says:

spoiler:

And we all know consensus has never meant unanimous, right?

Nearly everyone would probably agree with you regarding consensus, but I am afraid that I don’t.

58. Zack says:

I think what New Jersey did in regards to retaining their draft pick was actually a pretty cautious and intelligent move. It’s not too often they draft in the top ten, or even top fifteen for that matter (last year was a fluke) but now the kid they select will get a year of development gaurenteed, as opposed to waiting extra long for the prospect to develop due to CBA disputes.

So we draft Murray, excellent give him another year in juniors. I wonder if CBA negotiations make it an easier selection for Edmonton? They’ve already softened the ground for Murray’s/(not Yakupov) arrival. I’d say keep the first pick, and run the show.

Radek Faska would be an awesome addition, especially if we don’t draft one of the big name centers. 6’2+ ~200lbs excellent two way game and great work ethic. If he doesn’t pan out to be a second line center he’d do wonders on the third line.

59. loganoil says:

Maverick: Wow! In the four hours since I made this post I was dead right.Folks, we all are going to need nerves of steel this week! Cause heaven only knows what in the world the Edmonton Oilers’ braintrust is thinking.

We can only hope for the best and fear the worst and it seems the worst is yet to come.Going to be a long 8 days until the draft.

Why can’t the Oilers Brass just come out and say who they are picking.
    Of course, my choice is Yakupov, but I’m bracing myself for the worst.
    You would think they owe it to the group of fans who stuck by a 30th, 30th, 29th team,
    instead of watching their fans stress out about the Draft.

Sorry for putting holes in your theory. Still a big fan, looking forward
    to Nation Radio on Saturday.

LoganOil: No need to apologize. The post was wrong. I thank you. Makes way more sense now. :-)

61. Rondo says:

I still wonder how much misdirection is involved by teams. We will probably never know the attempted moves that didn’t work in past drafts.

We guess what all these scouts reporters teams say about who they like or not.

My guess is still Yakupov or Galchenyuk if we pick #1.

My 2nd guess is the Oilers #1 D-man is Morgan Rielly

62. spoiler says:

Lol, bookje, some fine work there.

63. Ribs says:

If putting the word out that there is some interest in selecting someone other than Yakupov first overall is Tambellini and friends way of starting some conversations, I’m all for it.

If it’s a reality, then I’m worried.

64. RickDeckard says:

DSF:
    Brad Ross scored 42 goals, 82 points and 163 PIM! for the Portland Winterhawks.
    Tobias Reider scored 42 goals and 84 points with the Kitchener Rangers.

Make of that what you will.

I will make this.

NHLE, Ross on the left, Rieder on the right.

Draft 24 18
    D+1 25 35
    D+2 30

Ross had Rattie and Bartschi to help him this year, as well as Johansen and Niederreitter the year before, all of whom outscored him. Reider was the highest scoring Ranger this year by 16 points. He has Faksa and Murphy on his team. Rieder also led the OHL playoffs in scoring.

Ross scored 23 EV, 15 PP and 2 SH goals. Rieder scored 27 EV, 9 PP and 7 SH goals.

Rieder went all of November and all of February without a single penalty. The only game he had more than 2 PIM was in January when he took a minor in the first and then a fighting major in the last 5 seconds when a player was harassing his goaltender. He is very disciplined.

Ross had multiple minor penalties 14 times, including 6 games where he took 3 or more. HE never went more than 3 games without a penalty. Why is a high PIM total good? Do you like your players to sit in the penalty box instead of being on the ice?

65. spoiler says:

I think there’s a reasonable chance they don’t take Yakupov. There’s lots of options and lots of needs and we don’t know how close together they think their top 3 are. If Stu really thinks Murray or Grigorenko are in the same class as Yak, then I’m fine with it. Or if he has uncovered issues that create too much bust risk, than I understand. Or if they’re worried that with his size and style of play that he’s even a greater injury risk than Hall, than I can understand that.

66. delooper says:

Do you think any of the 2012 draft-eligible players would be ready to play a top 4 defence role on the Oilers earlier than the best D prospects already in the Oilers system?

To me it seems like the answer is clearly no. If the Oilers want to draft for immediate impact they take Yakupov. They only risk choosing someone else if they’re playing a much longer game and that seems like nonsense. They’ve got to right the ship quick or they’re going to start losing even their young talent.

If the Oilers want to beef up on D, they’re going to have to do it by trading quality forwards + surplus D.

67. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Eastern media propaganda, same with all the sport show’s talk show’s etc. They need drama! Like a grade 8 school girl.

The only media type person with his head on right is David Staples!!! God love this man!

I heard the Tencer interview, and when your asked if its a possibility Yakupov plays in the KHL through a lockout then what is the interview E suppose to say? Ya it is possible!

The guy also mentioned that he expects Yakupov to be elite! As in way better then Taylor Hall.

No way Larionov allowe’s Galchenyuk or Yakupov to play in the KHL if there’s a lockout! Not a bloody chance!!!

Oilers will get there defensmen it just won’t be Murray.

68. hunter1909 says:

I just woke up from a dream: Since everyone knows the Oiler’s management are fools…incapable of doing anything right except picking 1st overall…

And since the fools want to trade away…1970 Pittsburgh Penguins style…their chance at an alite forward for magic beans etc…

MacT! He wears glasses, right? Then he’s got to be intelligent!

Trade that pick!

69. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: Considering there’s Stu, a scouting staff, and a committtee of Lowe, Tambo and MacT all in on the decision-making, there would have to be some solid strikes against Yak to shy away, wouldn’t there? They’re going to argue things out same way as if you put all of us around a table.

I can see it: The Oiler’s sitting around at a table like a scene from that tv show Father Ted…with Tambellini as Dougall, Silver fox MacT playing Ted, and Kevin Lowe drooling in the corner as Father Jack.

70. uni says:

So who’s Stu in that scenario, and who’s Katz for that matter? Surely not Miss Doyle and Bishop Brennan.

71. jake70 says:

Watching hockey central at noon few days ago, they were talking about Radulov and the KHL “problem”, one suggested if a player bolts in the KHL and is under contract, the NHL should ban that player for life from playing in the NHL. You still have a problem obviously if they are not under contract but …… wasn’t that league supposed to fold or something back 3 or so years ago… 9 lives, just lke the Coyotes.