When it comes to talking about the Edmonton Oilers and free agency, we immediately have a problem. The club already has a full roster under contract (or will have when the rfa’s are qualified).
So, we’re just going to ignore it and assume Steve Tambellini can find a home for Ben Eager and others. The following players will probably be of some interest to the management group:
- D Justin Schultz: Number one on the list because of his age and that he’s a plug and play. The Oilers have a shot at him and that’s news. If they do sign him, we shouldn’t expect him to come in and be Tom Gilbert. However, this would add a very nice piece to the young D cluster that includes Petry, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil and Simpson.
- D Ryan Suter: Take a shot. Why not? They won’t get him but dream big.
- D Matt Carle: I suspect he’ll get signed before going UFA, but this is a guy the Oilers could lock in for a few years and have him stick around for the good days. It’s probably a stretch to suggest Edmonton would be on his list but if the three wise men are going to make an impact this would be a good place to start.
- L Ryan Smyth: Oilers need to add two veteran forwards in my opinion. Smyth could serve as a mentor to the kids (Lander, Paajarvi, Hartikainen) and slide up to the skill lines as required. I think a 1-year deal is best, and would rather pay bigger dollars for the single than smaller for the double. This is an important player to sign.
- D Jason Garrison: He had a a career season but has been consistent over two full seasons now and is young enough to be a part of this young Oiler team for several years before decline.
- F Daniel Winnik: I like this player for that 3line role and he’d be my choice as that mentor winger for the kids and he can play either wing too. I also think he could help the kids with trying to make the grade with a losing organization, as that’s how he came into the league.
- C Paul Gaustad: He’s familialr with crappy zone starts and after all this time I think the Oilers badly need to give Horcoff a blow (stop it) once in awhile. Gaustad gives the team some size and gives the roto league coaches on the team a chance to settle the hell down on Lander and give him time.
- D Michal Roszsival: Can play 20+ minutes a night and does play quite a bit on the PK. Should Edmonton add him Roszival could serve as a legit top 4. He is not good Whitney insurance, as he’s a defensive defender and is part of the Smid-Schultz the elder family.
- R Jordin Tootoo: I think the Oilers will take a run at him, as they’ve done in the past with similar players. He would replace Eager and I do think Edmonton will get him.