HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!

Happy Father’s Day, gents! The day started for me with the dog refusing to go to the bathroom (NO control over a 5 pound puppy, very humbling), probably just life’s way of keeping my feet on the ground.

It’ll be walks and barbeques for the old man in this house today, I am looking forward to hugs and I think maybe my gift isn’t in the house currently (had a “Dad, what would you like for NEXT year’s Father’s Day?” talk with the boy yesterday, he’s not exactly a mystery) but the best gifts I ever got were a homemade toolbox from my daughter (still use it, one of the first things I’d grab in a fire) and a keyholder with sailboats from the boy (maybe Grade 4, pretty damn good work if you ask me and also on the fire list).

Anyway, my Dad has been gone since 1992 but I think about him all the time. I have been touched by Pat’s posts about his Dad over the years and the latest is (as always) from the heart.

Enjoy it, men. And if you’re lucky enough to have a living, breathing Father (even if he isn’t your biological Dad, you know who your Father is) then you hug the stuffing out of that bastard today and I mean it.

I’d give a lot to trade places with you today, and that’s for sure.

14 Responses to "HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!"

1. MrSmitty says:

I will be calling my father here in a bit. I also will be traveling 5 hours to Dorintosh Sask to go do some fishing with him this next weekend. As I got older, I realized you really don’t get much time with your father before they are gone.

I didn’t spend enough time with him as a kid cause he was working 18 hours a day. So every minute with him was a gift. When I was a teenager I spent more time with friends than I did with my dad. Now I regret doing so, so I do my best to spend as much time as I can now with him.

He is getting up there in age and I have seen some of his friends pass and alot of my friends parents pass. I don’t want to look back when he is gone and say damn I wish I had spent more time with him.

Happy Father’s day LT.

I miss my own Dad like mad. Its been over 10 years now.

There is no better sound than when I come home and my daughter comes running to the back door yelling “Daddy Daddy Daddy!!!” and then starts breathlessly telling me about her day after she gives me a big hug.

Being a Dad is pretty awesome.

3. TheOtherJohn says:

My Dad has been gone for about 10 years as well. I Miss him greatly, particularly today.

Had supper recently with lifelong friend. I said something and my friend’s comment was to say you sound just like your Dad. I asked what he meant and he reminded me when we were 17-18 that my Dad had banned another of my friends from coming around our house because he had applied for and received E.I. “That was for people who really needed it, not lazy 18 year olds” guy went back to work, ban got lifted but I suspect my Dad thought a wee bit less of my friend

Truly a different world …..

TOJ: Love it!

5. Jesse says:

Today’s my first Father’s Day: my son was born two
    weeks ago. It’s been the most difficult and most incredible two weeks of my life. Happy Father’s Day gents.

6. Gret99zky says:

There is no greater hero in my world than my Dad.

My goal in life is to have my son see me in the same light.

7. fuzzy muppet says:

Happy Father’s day to all the dad’s out there!

Some hockey talk?? Rumors out of chicago is that they want to clear cap space and go hard at Suter. Players like Hjalmersson, Carcillo and FROLIK are on the block and can be had for lesser salaries in return.

FROLIK would be PERFECT in the pisani role. He’s been playing the toughs for years

8. Wolfie says:

Gret99zky:
    There is no greater hero in my world than my Dad.

My goal in life is to have my son see me in the same light.

A million times this!

My father has given and given and given to me and my sisters. Not only that but being a phys ed. teacher in a small town he was and still is involved with extra-curricular sports in a big way. He has touched so many lives through coaching. All of it as a volunteer. I don’t think my small town knows just how much he means to the community. He has never done it for recognition as he truly loves coaching and working with kids. I know he would never want this but he deserves to have the school named after him or at least a bronze statue!

I’ve been blessed with wonderful parents! My dad is truly my hero and has set a high standard for me to live up to.

I have a 4 year old boy and a 1 year old daughter. They are amazing kids. I work on the railroad and I’m away from home for 6 days at a time. God I miss my kids when I’m away. The welcome I get when I get home is awesome but missing chunks of time sucks big time. However, I do get to spend 8 days at home with them between trips! Man do they grow fast!

9. prairieschooner says:

Thganks for the opportunity LT
    My Dad has been gone for a while now.My kids never got to meet him but I take great pleasure in passing along his stories which also makes me remember what a neat guy he was.

10. VOR says:

My Dad fought in WWII and volunteered to go overseas to London where his job was to defuse bombs in the London Blitz and later to dispose of all the unexploded bombs littering England.

His first night in England the guys he shared the barracks with, all the other bomb experts, invited him out to go on a pub crawl. When they got back the Germans had strafed the barracks and all the beds had been hit by machine gun bullets at least once. After that they all stayed in separate private homes.

When my Dad told that story he always ended up by saying, “that just proves you should never turn down a free beer.”

He loved the gig after the war running around the United Kingdom disposing off all the explosive debris. That is because he got to play golf on all the greatest courses (St. Andrews, Muirfield, etc.) There was also a lot of pub food and beer involved.

It was only after he died that I learned that one of the moldly old medals he kept in a short bread box was awarded to him near the end of the war when two Canadian planes came back to Sheffield on fire and still carrying their bombs. He stood in a burning plane defusing and unloading our own bombs, racing to get them out before everybody got blown to bits.

I’ll never be the man he was. I hope that one day the world will be the kind of place where no father has to be the kind of man my Dadr was. So special Father’s Day wishes to all those members of our armed forces serving their country and far from home and family.

VOR: As the son of another WW2 vet, it brought back great memories of those old stories my Dad told. Those men (and women) were brave in service and then chose not to spread the pain of that time in their young lives with their children (for the most part).

We owe a lot to that generation, certainly more after finding out about the things they chose to keep from us.

12. VOR says:

LT,

My Dad worked very hard at not sharing his pain with his children. Part of my interest in history came from his silence. For example I only learned in University that of the nearly 1000 men (and women) who defused bombs in the blitz 750 of them were killed on the job. Oddly, there is no monument to these brave soldiers and civilians anywhere in London. Yet it is estimated they saved more than 100,000 lives by risking theirs.

He was much happier teaching me useful skills and helping me navigate the world than talking about the past. When I was rejected by a young woman I thought was the love of my life my Dad told me that while he was courting my Mom he proposed six times. When that didn’t work he just went around the county proposing to every girl he knew, however vaguely. When my Mom heard about his proposal spree she finally agreed to marry him (though she never did actually say yes, she just didn’t say no). I took his point and proposed again to my sweetie. It took seven tries before she said yes. At least I didn’t have to go around proposing to other women. As a result of my Dad’s advice and encouragement I am coming up on my 23rd anniversary in August.

VOR: That is such an awesome story. Man. That made my day!

14. blackdog says:

Thanks for the kind words LT. Hope you had a great day.

Wonderful stories Vor.