HARD TARGET SEARCH

Alright, listen up, people. Our fugitive has been on the run for ninety minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground barring injuries is 4 miles-per-hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at fifteen miles. Your fugitive’s name is Dr. Richard Kimble. Go get him.

-Deputy Marshall Samuel Gerard, The Fugitive

We’re getting a glimpse into  the Oilers summer now, with the Schultz meeting and the Smyth get-together plus the very strong Streit rumor from yesterday. I think the Oilers will have to make trades in order to improve, or at least offload some players in order to make room for the new hire.

PERSONAL PREFERENCE

I rarely do this, but since the Oilers appear to be aiming higher this summer, they will acquire some quality. The team should be something of a calling card, as playing with the kids can improve point totals and if Gagner scored 8 points one night maybe some of these characters feel they could do the same.

I’d like the Oilers to add Ryan Smyth, Daniel Winnik, Justin Schultz plus a veteran top 4 defender and a solid goalie option. My UFA list is here.

WHAT WILL THEY DO?

I believe this week will have some good news for Oiler fans, but the dialogue on this blog will be similar to the post draft discussion: big, tough, Coke machines arriving on scene. The Ben Eager family is moving in lock, stock and barrel.

That’s what I think. I think management was pissed when the Nuge got pasted against CBJ with Eager 10 feet away, and again with Hartnell kneeing Paajarvi because he took a clean, hard hit from Potter and wanted payback. I believe the Oilers will spend a lot of money and roster placements on making sure they can man up every shift.

I’m talking agitation (Tootoo), enforcement (Hordichuk), guys who can do all that but think they’re hockey players (Parros), guys who shone brightly in the role and will command silly money (Prust).

And if this is Ryan Smyth’s final weekend as an Oiler–and I can’t imagine he’d return a third time, than sail on, Moose Jaw Warrior. If it gives you any consolation, the guy they’re looking for right now is a 20-year old Ryan Smyth. Life’s a bitch.

Godspeed, Ryan Smyth.

123 Responses to "HARD TARGET SEARCH"

1. tsunami says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think they will do anything about the goalie position… Hopefully I’m wrong

At the very least they’ll need to acquire a solid veteran for the AHL starter slot.

3. sliderule says:

Give Schultz mom and dad season tickets and forty free passes on Westjet from kelowna .

I am not very hopeful on the Schultz signing.

4. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

I don’t know whether to look forward to Free Agency on Sunday or not. I have a feeling it will be a good news/bad news type day.

5. jonrmcleod says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

They can’t do worse than last year, can they? (Barker, Belanger, Eager, Hordichuk, Potter)

In regards to Streit, you came to the conclusion he was playing 2nd pairing.

I disagree with your conclusion.

If we look at Cor QC we get:

Staios (poor Steve, fine way to treat a guy who had to try out)
    Streit
    Hamonic
    McDonald
    Easton
    Jurcina

TRAVIS HAMONIC ANDREW MACDONALD 27.07%
    MARK STREIT STEVE STAIOS 13.86%
    MARK STREIT MILAN JURCINA 9.8%
    MARK EATON MILAN JURCINA 9.01%

Together 0.475
    Streit without Staios 0.519
    Staois without Streit 0.397

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What’s the situation with Danis? Are they going to offer him something again? and can he be a legit number two behind DD?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Coke machines arriving on scene. The Ben Eager family is moving in lock, stock and barrel.
    That’s what I think. I think management was pissed when the Nuge got pasted against CBJ with Eager 10 feet away, ”

so… you’re saying they are going to hire big, but ineffective, “tough-guy” players?

9. papler says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—: The worst thing is I have to wait until about 5pm where I am (UK) for everything to kick off, whereas you guys only have to wait until 10am!

tell me about it. it’s 6pm for me… darn it

10. Traktor says:

Edmonton needs skilled players or players with toughness that can also play.

What they don’t need is vanilla players.

- I would like to see more sandpaper out of the 3rd and 4th line center positions. It would be different if Belanger/Horc were doing a good job against tough comp but they aren’t and the don’t bring anything in terms of sandpaper.

- Hordichuk needs to go. He can’t play.

- I would give Eager another shot with Kruger as coach. He scored 8 goals last year and was only -1. I think Kruger will let Eager know what is expected of him and if he doesn’t bring it he will be shipped.

- Gagner is kind of on the edge when it comes to skilled players. He needs to bring more offense and on a more consistent basis. I would move him for a defender.

- I think Smyth will be re-signed. He provides good insurance but I would like to see Hartikainen and MPS be given quality linemates before Smyth.

- Edmonton needs to find a starting goalie. I take Dubnyk’s numbers with a massive grain of salt because the only time he has played well is when Edmonton is well out of the playoff race. Its a lot easier to play when there is zero pressure.

Dubnyk has two playoff wins in the entire career going back to the WHL. Can he be counted on during meaningful games?

Traktor,

Who do you target?

12. Traktor says:

woodguy:
    For sandpaper center I would target Dubinsky.

Maybe a 3 way trade… Columbus gets Gagner ++, NY gets Nash, Edmonton gets Dubinsky

Not sure who I would target for goalie.. I would have been signing undrafted Euro’s the last couple years.

Bernier looks like the only goalie left on the market.

Worst case you sign someone like Clemmensen for 1-2 years. Hopefully 1 year.

13. "Steve Smith" says:

jonrmcleod:

Sure they could. See, for example, the two summers before that.

14. jonrmcleod says:

“Steve Smith”,

I don’t think 2010 was worse than 2011. (I’m thinking of only UFA signings.) But perhaps it wasn’t any better. Before that, obviously the Souray and Khabilbulin contracts didn’t work out well.

15. slopitch says:

Apparently Dallas might be moving Steve Ott. Oilers should go hard after him. Maybe we could convince them to take Eager for his rights?

16. fuzzy muppet says:

slopitch,

He’s under contract for 2 years so th price will be high. Like Gagner + high…

17. Moosemess says:

I don’t think you rule out the possibility either that players like Hartikainen and Vandevelde can make that step this year and add some of the sandpaper you’re looking for. With VV in particular, I would think this is the year to fish or cut bait with him.

18. justDOit says:

Bobby Mac just tweeted that Brodeur has hired Brisson as his agent. They say that Brodeur hasn’t had an agent in years, and that this means he’s going to test free agency.

There you go ST – 4 years, $20M.

sigh

19. "Steve Smith" says:

jonrmcleod,

During both summers the Oilers’ needs were roughly the same (which I’d say is itself telling of summer 2010): boatload of NHL defence, some veteran forwards with defensive acumen (and, in particular, a centre meeting that description), and, if there was any intention to compete, a goalie to replace Khabibulin as starter.

Defence:

2010: Signed Kurtis Foster and Jason Strudwick as UFAs, traded Patrick O’Sullivan for Jim Vandermeer.
    2011: Signed Cam Barker as a UFA, traded Kurtis Foster for Andy Sutton.

Verdict: Pretty close to a wash – none of the five players were capable of better than regular bottom-pairing minutes, and most of them arguably weren’t even capable of that (Strudwick and Barker definitely weren’t). 2011 provided the best player of the five in Sutton, though for UFA signings you’d have to give the edge to 2010 – but if the winning year nets you Foster and Strudwick, you pretty well have to admit that both summers were abject failures.

Forwards with defensive acumen

2010: Traded a low pick for Colin Fraser.
    2011: Traded a low pick and Colin Fraser for Ryan Smyth, signed Eric Belanger as a UFA.

Verdict: You can refrain from giving Oilers management credit for the Smyth trade, but even removing that from the ledger, 2011 blows 2010 out of the water. Fraser was a guy that we basically hoped had defensive acumen on the basis that he couldn’t score, while Belanger had an established record of good defensive play with some offence. Obviously, the signing didn’t pan out terribly well (I’m of the view that he’s likely to rebound, but I can understand those who want to unload him for peanuts, provided they have some kind of plan to replace him), but even in his dismal 2011-2012 season (as distinct from reasonable expectations, which were higher) he was X times the player Fraser was, where X is some positive number greater than one.

Goalie:

2010: Signed Martin Gerber
    2011: Signed Yann Danis

Verdict: Gerber’s the better goalie, but given that these were both intended as AHL signings, I think it’s basically a wash.

Other:

2010: Signed Steve MacIntyre as a UFA.
    2011: Signed Ben Eager and Darcy Hordichuk as UFAs.

Verdict: There are no good hockey players here, but there’s no doubt that Eager and Hordichuk are the best two (in that order). Moreover, they were both clear upgrades on the players they were replacing (Jacques in MacIntyre, respectively). This is a clear win for 2011.

Overall, I think 2011 has a pronounced edge over 2010. About the only way to argue otherwise, I think, is by pointing out that Kurtis Foster’s a much better player than Cam Barker, but given that they’re both lousy that’s hardly a ringing endorsement.

EDIT: I only just noticed your comment that you were thinking only of UFA signings. That levels the playing field somewhat in that you exclude Smyth and Sutton (and Vandermeer and Fraser from 2010), but I still don’t see how 2011 wasn’t better.

20. spoiler says:

Woodguy: In regards to Streit, you came to the conclusion he was playing 2nd pairing.I disagree with your conclusion.When looking at QualComp, it is looking at the opponents whenever a goal is scored.When looking at CorsiQC, it is looking at the opponents every time there is a corsi event.CorQC is much more accurate as it has many more data points. (I think I have the distinction right)If we look at Cor QC we get:Staios (poor Steve, fine way to treat a guy who had to try out)StreitHamonicMcDonaldEastonJurcinaIf we look at BTN for who Striet’s most common line mates were, Staios is #1 :http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time_on_ice_stats.php?ds=8&f1=2011_s&f2=5v5&f5=NYI&c=0+1+3+5+8+7+9+11+13+15+17#If we look at Leftwing Lock they give us these as the frequency of the D pairingsTRAVIS HAMONIC ANDREW MACDONALD 27.07%MARK STREIT STEVE STAIOS 13.86%MARK STREIT MILAN JURCINA 9.8%MARK EATON MILAN JURCINA 9.01%http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-combos/index.php?season=2011&team=NYI&strength=EV&playertype=D&gametype=ALL#AIf we look at Stats.HockeyAnaylsis.com, Streit played 342minutes wtih Staios, more than any other Dman. (the link is Corsi Close WOWY, Streit looks very good by this metrci)http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=51&withagainst=true&season=2011-12&sit=5v5close_f10&type=corsiFinally, it we use Vi’c TOI tool to look at some home games (can see match the coach wants) We see Streit playing against Kopitar when the Kings are in town:http://timeonice.com/H2H1112.html?GameNumber=20818&submit=GoTake all that together and I think you can make a reasonable case that Streit saw the toughest minutes on the NYI D.Poor Streit. Look at the 5v5 Crosi Close (score tied or 1 up/down) with and without (WOWY) Staios.Together 0.475Streit without Staios 0.519Staois without Streit 0.397

Thank you thank you thank you.

I was looking at those BTN#s LT posted yesterday and they’re so close together, I was wondering how anyone could argue 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing based solely on them. The numbers didn’t distinguish the players at all.

Re:Ott

Yeah, he’d be nice, but apparently Dallas is asking for the moon. Something strange going on there. Apparently the new owner wants to spend but they’re divesting themselves of useful players left and right. Although buying out Godard is probably a good thing.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sarich signed in calgary. Brodeur on the market per tsn

links make comment section angry!!

22. Ribs says:

Woodguy,

Ha! I knew the “Blame Staios” post would show up sometime!

I really like your list LT. It’s exactly what this team needs right now.

23. rickithebear says:

it drives me nuts that a guy :
    1, who scores goals like semin and couture
    2. gets more than he gives up.
    3. great skater.

is labelled bad.

24. Moosemess says:

Hard for me to consider Tambi’s signings as ‘abject failures’ when they led directly to the acquisition of Taylor Hall, the Nuge and the Nail.

Oil can now ice a line of 3 1st overall picks.

Don’ t overlook the method in the madness.

Lowe: We need one more first overall before we turn the corner
    Tambellini: Barker’s a pylon and Khabibulin’s a sieve. Don’t worry boss. I’ll get ‘er done. Btw, helluva job letting Howson go to Columbus. Guy’s got the worse lottery luck I’ve ever seen.

25. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

26. hunter1909 says:

OT, but China just hijacked the space program after sending the hottest female astronaut ever into orbit. They won’t have any problems signing up missions to Mars with chicks like this on board.

Yakupov compares favorably to another Russian of some note – some dude named Kharlamov.

to DeadmanWaking: I don’t remember why, but i had a pretty decent counter-argument to your last post.

Ribs:
    Woodguy,

Ha! I knew the “Blame Staios” post would show up sometime!

I really like your list LT. It’s exactly what this team needs right now.

Haha!

Poor Streit had a 5v5 ONSV% of .891 (PDO a very low 959)

To put that .891 in perspective Dubnyk had a .927 5v5 SV% last year.

28. "Steve Smith" says:

Moosemess:

I start from the premise that the aim of signing free agents is to improve the team, either immediately or over the long-term. If the sole aim was to finish 30th overall, they could have gone into 2010-2011 with their 2009-2010 lineup, and into 2011-2012 with their 2010-2011 lineup. Other than Barker, the acquisitions were not players who could reasonably have been expected to be on the upswing of the career, to the objective was presumably immediate improvement – not necessarily aiming for the playoffs, but aiming for some kind of improvement. The improvement that there was from 2009-2010 to 2011-2012 is, in my submission, due in very little measure to free agent signings. From that perspective, both summers were failures (though I maintain that Belanger was an excellent bet based on past performance).

29. hunter1909 says:

PS to last post:

Shultz can think what he likes. Taylor Hall’s gang will make him lose a lot of sleep over the coming half-decade if he foolishly thinks the Canucks are the right way to go.

30. LMHF#1 says:

What’s the attitude around here on having either Brodeur or Thomas for a year?

Not saying it will happen, but would people be happy with that?

31. Jordan says:

Traktor,

Yeah, I like the list of things LT thinks the Oilers will look at doing this summer, but unless you’re convinced that Dubnyk is going to be a top 20 goalie in the leauge with an improved defense core in front of him, and you’re going to start him 70+ games this year (because 2/3rds of the games Nik plays end up as losses), this team needs a competant 1a/1b goalie to play with Devan.

Niks’ not good enough.

I’m not entirely sure who you target. Bernier doesn’t have enough history, but is famous enough to require a lot to get. Harding re-upped, and he was probably the best target. Brodeur would be great, but his cost and his consistency would make me leery. So where does that leave us? And how do you get rid of Khabbi contract? Will anyone in the KHL take him? If not, do you just end up eating it? He’s not NHL calibre, so do you send him to the AHL, and eat the cap hit?

I like targetting Jagr for a tough minute outscorer. Playing him with Hemmer and one of Horc or Gags makes a lot of sense to me.

If you can dump both of Eager and Belanger, great. Do it. Doubt there’s a market for Eric.

I would like to see Laraque back, if he brings what he is selling. Functional toughness (and being a deterant for pest plays would be super) would be a big plus. Love to see him go after and punish players.

I like picking up Hannan regardless of what happens with Schultz, Streit, or Klefbom. Decent depth defender, and if everythign works out, it means you end up having a body or two to move over the summer or out of training camp.

I’d also be quite happy to see Stortini back in the Oilers lineup. Lots of people may not be fans of the guy, but he had a great penalty taken/drawn ratio, and paired with someone like Georges would let him pest it up very well, while still playing a smart positional game.

Oh, and they both have size and grit. Not that we need any of that…

Jagr-Gagner-Hemsky (Toughs)
    Smyth-RNH-Eberle (2nd Toughs)
    Hall-Horcoff-Yakupov (Butterworths)
    Stortini-Belanger-Jones (PK/ Mucking)
    Laraques

Smid-Petry
    N. Schultz-Whitney
    J. Schultz/Steit-Hannan
    Sutton-Potter

Dubnyk
    Dannis?

Not entirely sure it could be pulled off, and goaltending is still weak. But better vetrean depth up front, much deeper defense should make it competitive to make the playoffs.

Probably better than Calgary, and that’s what really matters.

32. Cactus says:

Moosemess:

Oil can now ice a line of 3 1st overall picks.

Don’ t overlook the method in the madness.

Lowe: We need one more first overall before we turn the corner

Exactky, Khabibulin was insurance for this kind of tanking.

On that note, if the Oilers are trying to win this year (and everything in the media points to that), why might they be keeping him on the roster? I had a couple of thoughts, but I wanted to solicit some other ideas:

-They’re planning to keep Danis or bring in someone like him to compete for the backup job. Given that goaltenders or Danis’ calibre aren’t automatically better than Khabby (though pretty close) they want to cover all their bases.
    -They’re trying to demonstrate how good they are to potential free agents, by giving them all the chances in the world.
    -Katz doesn’t want to pay for a buyout. I think Willis or someone calculated that they could actually save money this way, but maybe the Oilers have different calculations.
    -Katz was behind the original signing at the end of the whale hunting days and won’t admit defeat. If he won’t, Tambellini’s hands are tied.

Note, I’m not including another popular reason: that management is simply stupid. That’s lazy logic and given how easy it is to evaluate goaltenders statistically (save %) and given how many voices there are in the room now, I don’t find “stupidity” to be a compelling reason.

Any other rational explanations?

33. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Haha!Some mentioned why you’d want to trade a guy who was -27 last year, but I think Suter would have been -15 playing in the same spot with the same teammates with the same ONSV%.Poor Streit had a 5v5 ONSV% of .891 (PDO a very low 959)To put that .891 in perspective Dubnyk had a .927 5v5 SV% last year.

34. rickithebear says:

“Steve Smith”: I suspect that this drives Ben Eager’s mother nuts, too, but that’s probably an exhaustive list.

I thought the driven nuts list would be fairly exclusive.

35. LMHF#1 says:

hunter1909:
    if he foolishly thinks the Canucks are the right way to go.

I’m still not exactly sure how you pitch going to play hockey with a bunch of Delta Bravos and Swedish twins that have nothing to do with a swimsuit calendar…

36. raventalon40 says:

If they’re going to blow up that Anaheim team by trading Ryan and Visnovsky, I would see what the asking price would be for Getzlaf.

2014 1st round pick, Gagner, MPS, and Hamilton for Getzlaf and a 3rd round pick?

We could probably unite the Smyth-Doan line from the Olympics in this pipe dream.

Hall – RNH – Eberle
    Yakupov – Getzlaf – Hemsky
    Smyth-Horcoff-Doan
    Hartikainen-Belanger-Jones
    Eager

I think if we could re-up Smyth and somehow get Doan (instead of seeing him in WPG) that would actually be a very decent tough-minutes line of Smyth-Horcoff-Doan.

37. Moosemess says:

Cactus
    -Katz was behind the original signing at the end of the whale hunting days and won’t admit defeat.If he won’t, Tambellini’s hands are tied.

Suspect this one. Tambellini spends an inordinate amount of time spinning Khabi’s play as positive for damage control. Granted, it’s easy to assume he’s doing that to defend his decision. But my experience is, when someone screws up, they tend to not draw attention to it rather than bringing it up frequently. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Tambi goes out of his way to defend ‘Darryl’s signing.’ Probably gets him brownie points with the boss as a good company man.

spoiler: When LT put up his Corsi and his +/-, with the relCorsi being stellar and the +/- shite, had to know there was a crap SV% behind him.

Yup.

Can predict that one like the Sun coming up.

Jordan,

Smyth-RNH-Eberle (2nd Toughs)

I think Smyth should be kept as far away from RNH as possible.

RNH’s 5v5 close corsi (faceoff adj.)

With Smyth .425
    Without Smyth .498
    Smyth w/o Nuge .487

40. Ducey says:

LMHF#1: What’s the attitude around here on having either Brodeur or Thomas for a year?Not saying it will happen, but would people be happy with that?

No. Neither of those guys would be happy in a backup role, so you just screw with DD for another year, leaving you in a worse position for 2012-13. Give DD 50 – 60 starts and bring in someone with some upside (I am fine with Bulin with Roy and an AHL vet in reserve).

As tough as it has been to be an Oiler fan, at least you can see they are going somewhere. WTF are the Flames doing? By signing Sarich (who is like 35), they now have 9 D on one way contracts plus TJ Brodie who will likely make the team.

They will likely get rid of Bouwmeester and its just a matter of time before Kipper spontaneously combusts due to his work load. Strange.

If the Oilers can get Schultz, the Battle of Alberta is going to shift in a big way.

41. Cactus says:

Woodguy:
    Jordan,

Smyth-RNH-Eberle (2nd Toughs)

I think Smyth should be kept as far away from RNH as possible.

RNH’s 5v5 close corsi (faceoff adj.)

With Smyth .425
    Without Smyth .498
    Smyth w/o Nuge .487

Interesting numbers WG. Any hypothesis as to why they are like this? I’m having trouble coming up with reasons why RNH and Smyth’s games seem incompatible.

Sounds like Curtis Hamilton grew up a lot last year and has the right attitude.

43. justDOit says:

Cactus: Interesting numbers WG.Any hypothesis as to why they are like this?I’m having trouble coming up with reasons why RNH and Smyth’s games seem incompatible.

No idea.

Smyth was pretty good on puck retrieval, but usually when he had another body with him down low.

Maybe that’s a part of it.

Also,

There is some fantastic stuff at the site I’m linking to.

The WOWY’s alone (for both Corsi and Goal, faceoff adjusted (OZ starts) or not) are gold and there is lots more there.

I’m just thrilled I can access this type of comparisons with good data.

45. CrazyCoach says:

46. CrazyCoach says:

Can anyone run the numbers for me on Tootoo and Ott please?

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is pretty funny:

“Khabibulin’s career in Edmonton can’t be considered a rousing success with the team coming in 30th, 30th and 29th since his arrival. Still, it’s helped the Oilers assemble a sensational crop of highly skilled and equally as motivated young superstars.”

That’s from Khabibulin’s agent!

justDOit: Could it be that RNH + Smyth were given tougher assignments than RNH was used to with other linemates, and he was in over his head a bit?

RNH & Eberle played 359:16 together

RNH & Eberle 5v5 close corsi (faceoff adj.)

Together .507
    RNH apart from Eberle .399 (wow)
    Eberle apart from RNH .422

Those two should be joined at the hip.
    Terrible apart (in terms of this metric, but good together.

The metric that I’m using here is “5v5 close corsi (faceoff adj.)”

CrazyCoach:
    Can anyone run the numbers for me on Tootoo and Ott please?

On my way out the door CC or else I would. I love doing this stuff.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    This is pretty funny:

That’s from Khabibulin’s agent!

just saw this…

Willis has a good article on it:

51. Truth says:

Ott would be a great pickup if the price was right. If not, signing Tootoo would do wonders to this roster.

52. Moosemess says:

Could it be that Smyth prefers a cycle game whereas RNH is likely more inclined to create something off the initial rush?

I say ‘more inclined’ because it’s likely a self preservation thing given his slight frame. Once he puts on a few more pounds, he’ll probably feel more comfortable starting the cycle if the first foray breaks down.

53. hunter1909 says:

LMHF#1,

Rightly or wrongly, Shultz already appears to have a growing reputation as a pansy. Sidling up to the ratticus(sp) novetigous(sp) of the NHL won’t do him any favours.

With Hall and the Gang, he’s in line to inherit Paul Coffey’s(available) gig. if he’s so smart, lol, it’s a ridiculously easy decision.

“Hmm let’s see…I can either sit back around the blue line and pass to Nail Yakupov, Or Taylor Hall, or Jordan Eberle, or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins…

or else I go to the Vancouver Canucks to lead them to their very first trophy”.

54. hunter1909 says:

“…or else maybe Brian Burke’s clownville circus in Toronto”.

The 2012-13 Oilers are an offensive defenseman’s dream team.

55. CrazyCoach says:

Thanks Woodguy. I’m itching to get back into coaching next year and would like to learn more about how to use these stats. Would love to see the form people use to collect these stats. I use a standard form I developed for myself, but I can always add to it.

56. jonrmcleod says:

"Steve Smith",

Looks like you went to a lot of trouble to prove your point. I am in agreement with most of your analysis. My initial comment was based on quantity. They signed four guys who produced below the Oilers’ expectations. Only Potter met or exceeded expectations. In 2010, there was probably only one disappointment: Foster. Nobody expected much from Strudwick, I assume. To sum up my point, there was more disappointment from the 2011 UFA signings than 2010.

57. commonfan14 says:

“I’d like the Oilers to add Ryan Smyth, Daniel Winnik, Justin Schultz plus a veteran top 4 defender and a solid goalie option.”

Are we 100%, no doubt about it, completely and totally positive that there is absolutely no interest of any kind whatsoever between the Oilers and Luongo?

What would the reaction be if they got him for basically nothing but his contract?

58. Jordan says:

I think Smyth should be kept as far away from RNH as possible.

Together .507
    RNH apart from Eberle .399 (wow)
    Eberle apart from RNH .422
    Those two should be joined at the hip.

Woodguy,

Who would you put with that tandem? As you put it, they are magic together, but I’m leery to play Hall there simply because his transition game complements other players much better, no? And then if not Smyth of Hall, then who? Harski seemd a little slow with not as much offensive awareness, MP’s offense was shite, and I question putting Yak there simply because then there’s no substance on the line.

I can see the argument being made that Hall’s speed pushes the other teams’ D back, and makes more room for 93+14, but I don’t remember seeing it, so I’m not sure if that is in fact the case.

If we did somehow get JJ to come here, I’d think he’d want to play with Hemmer, but if we would sign and could play with those two… that might be an even better situation.

59. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Maybe. They only played 109:32 together, so there may be some sample size issues as well.RNH & Eberle played 359:16 togetherRNH & Eberle 5v5 close corsi (faceoff adj.) Together .507RNH apart from Eberle .399 (wow)Eberle apart from RNH .422Those two should be joined at the hip.Terrible apart (in terms of this metric, but good together.The metric that I’m using here is “5v5 close corsi (faceoff adj.)”For those who don’t know what this is, its: “Percentage of shots they take when its even strength and the score is either tied or one team is up by only 1 goal. The shots % is adjusted for zone starts (better zone starts usually equals more shots, so its adjusted up or down so you can look at everyone evenly)I think that its a core stat as the game is in the balance during this game state, and the question is, “Can you outshoot the opponents in this game state?”You need to temper the number with against the opponents strength, but there is a lot of information in that number.

Does that seriously limit the sample size though, or is that 359:16 minutes for Close Corsi?

60. spoiler says:

Two great lines from that article WG linked:

“It’s going to take time,” said Nelson. “Detroit’s model is you keep your guys in the minors for three and a half years. I think the average is 3.3 years. We’re talking good hockey players, Jiri Hudler, Niklas Kronwall, guys like that.

We should be keeping that timeline in mind whenever DSF is dissfing our AHLers.

“[Hamilton]‘ll be the first one to admit that he came into the American Hockey League and he thought the transition would have been easier,” said Nelson. “Pitlick says the same thing. What the junior hockey and college players don’t realize is that they don’t know a lot about the AHL, and once they get there it’s an eye opener. You’re playing against men now who are supporting their families.

“It always seems to take those young players till Christmas or New Year’s to figure it out, then they feel more comfortable with their surroundings.

“It’s unfortunate that Curtis got hurt in March because he was playing his best hockey before he got injured.”

Still some hope.

61. spoiler says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: COL agrees to terms with Steve Downie on 2 year deal, $2.55M in first year and $2.75M in second. $2.65M AAV.

62. mattwatt says:

rickithebear: it drives me nuts that a guy :1, who scores goals like semin and couture2. gets more than he gives up.3. great skater.4. has one of the highest save % each year. (not luck but Quality of shot given up)is labelled bad.Fuck i wish 9 otyher forwards on our team could do this relative to situation average.Next time you give corsi tell me what the cummulitive scoring % for the shots. 15% – 500%. which is it.Cause the 2 extra shots he gives up could be 10% or 160%. looking at his save % the last 4 years i kind of have an idea which end of the shot spectrum it is.Corsi a 15 to 20 times variance in accuracy. you would be laughed out of any lab in High school, university, the working world with that error.People would be sitting in offices having coffee laughing at how stupid a 15 to 20 times inaccuracy of data is. “you remeber that person…………….+/-2000%.” Bahahahahahahahaha.

Yes, Eager is the same level of talent as Couture and Semin.

Good job finding this “truth” out for us.

63. spoiler says:

Gotta think Brodeur testing the UFA market is the worst news Gillis could hear this week.

64. justDOit says:

spoiler,

Yes, that’s a great article. With all the talk of Eberle, Hopkins, Yakupov and others, I had almost forgotten about Hamilton. Big guy with pretty good hands, scored 1.33 ppg in his senior WHL year, and looked pretty good for the WJ team too. I can’t wait to see what Hamilton and PItlick can bring to TC in a year, which might be about the same timeline that Marincin, Musil and Klefbom are travelling on.

65. justDOit says:

Sorry for the link to a Can*cks blog, but there’s a great video tribute to Bure down the page. Bruce M’s comments from DC about how Yakupov’s shot is in a league of it’s own, and how he sees the comparison to Bure now, led me to post it.

66. DeadmanWaking says:

hunter1909,

Somehow I don’t think they equip spacesuits with stilettos, and they use clamps rather than clasps. I think the romance of space is overrated. Something more comfortable … than a condom catheter? The human extremophile rarely mates in extremis. Not even the twin-loving Iron Man.

I was with you right up to the last word. Why “why”? You mean my post “smells like fear”?

I didn’t think I was really making an argument. Neither do I think I play the devil’s advocate, unless god’s mojo is falling into a nodding slumber while the dimmer angles prattle on. Dissecting expressed preference from the frame of what you know when there’s even more you don’t know is a precarious science. Tolstoy and Dickens and Austin seemed to have a rare knack for this. Tolstoy because he couldn’t care less whether his subject was prince or pauper. Dickens because of his sense of how much goes on around the eccentric margins. And Austin because she sees through the protagonist as an unreliable narrator of his/her own cause.

When the comments begin to portray Justin Schultz parsing his short list as if pursing his anomalous windfall with the cognitive efficiency of a Terminator Model IV, I just feel the need to jump in with a comical phrase against the grain.

The stupid thing is–what I can never get over–is that while a stopped clock is right twice a day, a wayward cynic bats 0.400. Ordinarily, connecting two times out of five is nothing to brag about, but to bat 0.400 on nothing but a thin gruel of rumours and innuendo is truly an amazing feat. Now a monkey flinging hot darts at a vertical surface bats somewhere near 0.250. This precipice between feat and folly is the stuff of divine comedy. The great thing about a cynic is that a cynic is never more than one lazy stride from putting his foot in an uncomfortable place.

What you termed an argument I would describe as yelling “hey, look down” to Wily Coyote clinging to Newton’s apple bough in flagrante delicto. But then, I’m just an unreliable narrator of my own cause. Who knows what I stepped into?

67. CrazyCoach says:

From Twitter samjam99 ‏@samjam99
    BREAKING: can confirm Roberto Luongo has been traded to the Florida Panthers. Deal should be announced today. More to come. #Canucks

68. justDOit says:

CrazyCoach,

who is samjam? I have Dreger and Bobby Mac’s tweet pages open as I’m working, and no new updates from them yet.

69. CrazyCoach says:

I have no idea, but it was re-tweeted by Treenasoil

70. "Steve Smith" says:

CrazyCoach,

It’s like Miracle on 34th Street: If SamJam says it, it must be so.

jonrmcleod,

Fair points all (and I totally forgot to mention Potter, which I think only bolsters my argument for 2011 over 2010). But isn’t the logical extension of your argument that doing absolutely nothing would be better than either 2010 or 2011, because it would avoid disappointments all together?

71. justDOit says:

CrazyCoach,

Well that’s a solid then. I can’t follow Treena, because (s)he has her account locked out for people like me who don’t have a twit account of my own. I guess being right twice in two years means you are more exclusive than Dreger or Bobby Mac on twitter?

If true, then I wonder if Van has acquired Garrison’s rights in the trade, and who they’ll pursue for a backup to Schneider. Brodeur maybe? If he’s leaving NJ, he will surely want to go to a contender.

72. CrazyCoach says:

Steve Smith I prefer to have my twitter leaks be named RayJay or FayWray, but SamJam works in a pinch.

73. justDOit says:

About the only useful thing I’ve seen on the twit today, is that the all important CBA negotiations wrapped up a little past 1 pm. They scheduled the first meeting on a Friday before the long weekend, and then wrapped up early? They are clearly taking this very seriously…

74. justDOit says:

Ha! Just saw a tweeter from this samjam99, dated May 30, where they confirmed that Luo had been traded to the Leaves of Maple Pastures.

75. DSF says:

justDOit:
    CrazyCoach,

Canucks have Eddie Lack available as backup…very solid in the AHL.

Word is the Canucks want former first round pick Nick Bjugstad in return for Luongo.

20 Yrs old, 6’4″ 205 40GP 25G 17A 42PTS U of Minn.

76. Kris11 says:

“SamJam” is from the Lord of the Rings. It is a creamy white jam that Sam Gamgee had with him when he and Frodo were lost in Mordor. They would spread it on their Elvish Lembas bread and it saved them from starvation. Frodo was astonished that Sam had brought jam with him because he never saw Sam carrying any jars. Sam never ate the jam himself, saving it for Frodo who needed it to save off starvation. Whenever Frodo would eat the jam, Sam would not be jealous, but would smile from ear to ear that he could help is friend and master.

77. sliderule says:

Went to development camp today.

They measured skating speeds and just by eye Pelss Rieder Yakupov with fastes Pelss.

With the puck reverse the order with Yak and Rieder being much faster than Pelss who struggled thru the pylons.

I guess it should be obvious that Klefbom was far and away the best looking defender

78. jonrmcleod says:

CrazyCoach,

If those two said it, it must be true.

79. justDOit says:

sliderule,

Bruce McCurdy made comment of how impressive Yakupov’s shot is. Did you happen to see the same?

80. spoiler says:

DeadmanWaking: hunter1909, Tolstoy and Dickens and Austin seemed to have a rare knack for this. Tolstoy because he couldn’t care less whether his subject was prince or pauper. Dickens because of his sense of how much goes on around the eccentric margins. And Austin because she sees through the protagonist as an unreliable narrator of his/her own cause.

Hmm. I don’t normally disagree with you DMW, but I think I’m going to do so on Austen.

I don’t think her contribution was the unreliable narrator–that came much later, developed somewhat by Joyce and Proust and reaching its culmination in Nabokov–but rather she created two parallel narratives (one of characters bumping against one another and one of the forces of the world in which they did their bumping). Her style allows her to shift back and forth between these narratives, each parallel fighting for dominance, as she employs that layering to expose the foolishness of individuals and their society with biting misanthropic wit. Her novels were amazingly refined. It’s sad that their power now lies in her marvellous language when the same foolishness persists today.

81. Moosemess says:

IF Luongo goes to the Panthers, I would think Jose Theodore might make a better insurance policy for DD than Khabi if Katz is willing to eat that salary in the A?

Theodore: Yeah, so I totally won the Hart Trophy in 2002
    Dubnyk: I didn’t know there was a Purple Heart Trophy. I thought that was a military thing?
    Theodore: Pause. The Hart Trophy. For League MVP. I totally won it. Complete horseshoes up the anus, 5 goalposts a game kind of stuff.
    Dubnyk: I didn’t know goalies could win that. I’m totally gonna Google that.
    Theodore: I know, crazy right? You wouldn’t believe the trim I pulled on St. Catharines that year. It was off the hook brudda.
    Dubnyk: Yeah, we don’t have anything like that here.

82. Downright Fierce says:

Was down at Millenium for the last half, too.

Yes, Yak’s shot is phenomenal. Only need to peruse YouTube for proof of it, but it is a thing of beauty in-person. He excels at almost everything & I imagine the ‘almost’ in that statement will fade when it gets down to main camp.

P.S.DeadmanWaking,

It’s Wile E. Coyote. GOD!

83. justDOit says:

Moosemess,

Hilarious, but if I may, MM:

Dubnyk: I got a red bike for my birthday in 2002.

84. DeadmanWaking says:

DeadmanWaking,

I would go back and fix the two small bloopers (angles, doubled is) if the edit timer was long enough to brew a coffee.

85. justDOit says:

Downright Fierce,

I’ve seen the youtube clips, but nothing can impress as much as in person.

86. hockeyguy10 says:

CrazyCoach: I like this list LT, particularly the Tootoo pick. If you could get him and Steve Ott together, well that would just be ducky.Everyone says you need the big guys to be a deterrant, which is one way of doing it. To have guys like Tootoo and Ott, who could get under the skin of the Dalai Lama, is another. The reason these guys are so valuable is not because they’ll go out and hammer someone after your star is laying on the stretcher on the way to the Royal Alec, but because they will initiate the sandpaper and spend the rest of the game being chased around by the other team. In today’s game, with the instigation rule, you don’t react, you intiate. Yeah they cost you the odd dumb penalty here and there, but the upside is worth way more.

87. spoiler says:

justDOit: Downright Fierce, I’ve seen the youtube clips, but nothing can impress as much as in person. Bruce M said that one of his shots rang of the corner of the post before anyone on the ice reacted to it. DING, and nobody had moved.

In my Draft Preview, I had written that Yak’s shot was better than Eb’s or Hall’s. But of course i was going off video too. Nice to hear my suspicions confirmed.

Was Yakupov hotdogging today the way he allegedly was yesterday?

88. DeadmanWaking says:

Apropos to my meme on striding confidently where acute angels fear to tread, I recalled the commentary track from the original Manchurian Candidate. Sinatra turned out to be a pretty good actor. He had a lot in common with Marilyn Monroe: he could make himself the center of attention however the shot was framed.

They had something else almost in common. Marilyn was notorious for not remembering her lines. From IMDB trivia:

Marilyn Monroe required 47 takes to get “It’s me, Sugar” correct, instead saying either “Sugar, it’s me” or “It’s Sugar, me”. After take 30, Billy Wilder had the line written on a blackboard. Another scene required Monroe to rummage through some drawers and say “Where’s the bourbon?” After 40 takes of her saying “Where’s the whiskey?”, ‘Where’s the bottle?”, or “Where’s the bonbon?”, Wilder pasted the correct line in one of the drawers. After Monroe became confused about which drawer contained the line, Wilder had it pasted in every drawer. Fifty-nine takes were required for this scene and when she finally does say it, she has her back to the camera, leading some to wonder if Wilder finally gave up and had it dubbed.

Sinatra’s problem was that he tended to nail his first take, and never achieve it again. Unfortunately, a brilliant first take of a scene where they confront the brain-washed villain’s inner victim was filmed out of focus (exit dolly grip, stage right). His medal of valour is in perfect focus, his face isn’t. Sinatra couldn’t do it again so they ended up after much anguish in the editing room going prime time with blunder.

The critics lapped this up, praising the scene as a brilliant and innovative technique for representing the mangled and disordered mind of the person Sinatra was speaking with.

In my posts, the ones with the most errors are the ones that came off my fingers in a single take. Stoogie time with nary a skim. If I have to muck with my prose, the camera work improves, while the moment suffers.

But my point here is that 50% of art (and life) is caprice. Sometimes all the coyotes are clinging to severed apple boughs at the same time.

89. Downright Fierce says:

justDOit,

I saw Bruce’s comment & was just a couple rows back from him when that happened. He described it perfectly. All eyes were on Yak as it was his to take the shot in the 3-on-1 drill, it came off his tape like a rocket & the goalie was essentially flat-footed when the puck hit iron. Had a one-timer opportunity in the other end & turned into a slap-pass to the shortside. Didn’t go in but it wasn’t Hall or Ebs parked down low. His couple shootout attempts were nifty too. These Oilers kids are going to score some incredible goals in their careers.

90. justDOit says:

spoiler,

From Bruce M’s comments:

“Yakupov squeezes one puck through the goalie that dribbles about an inch over the goal line and stops. He lets out a “Yeah!”, then circles back to double check that the puck did indeed cross the line, points to it with his stick to confirm.”

It would seem to me like he approaches the game with the innocence and naivety of a child. I don’t think he’s trying to rub it in, but neither does he realize the other side to his actions. He loves to score, no matter where or when, and he hates to miss.

91. Ribs says:

May he never be humbled. The Oilers have their hands full with this one.

92. CrazyCoach says:

hockeyguy10: I think having those two wearing the same uni and playing together would even make the Queen curse.

Yeah no kidding. Love to hear the conversations those two would have on the bench. Probably akin to those conversations mafia guys have when they’re about to wack someone.

93. Downright Fierce says:

spoiler,

I think the hotdogging’s been overblown. He definitely jokes around & takes things pretty lightly, but seems to me it’s loosened up some of the guys. Yak has celebrated after some “goals” but a few other guys have been doing it too. For example, Bigos put one in & fist pumped to the clatter of sticks from the rest. Also, after completing a drill set up in one of the circles, he did that one-knee ice wipe move only to have the coach tell him he didn’t hit his final mark in the drill forcing him to the back of the line to do it again. In response, he laughed out loud & mocked exasperation then slid into the circle face down. Disruptive? Maybe a little, but others in the group (Pelss, Jones twins, Martindale) all seemed to think it was pretty funny, trainers were laughing too. Oilers tweeted a great pic of Yak sitting on the knee of Kellen Jones.

So: is that hotdogging? Subjective I suppose, but I saw no harm in it. He’s clearly the best player at camp & has least pressure on him out of the prospects (relative to Dev Camp standards). IMO he should take the lead & if he wants to do it with jocularity, more power to him. Gotta be stressful for most of these kids & a little fun can go just as far as a head-down work ethic at an event like this.

94. spoiler says:

Downright Fierce:
    spoiler,

Thanks DF. That’s a perfect summary and analysis.

95. jonrmcleod says:

“Steve Smith”,

Probably doing nothing would have been better than what they did. But that’s hindsight bias. If they had done nothing on July 1st, 2011 or 2010, I and most Oiler fans would have been immensely disappointed. So, in order for their to be no disappointment, the team must do something and it must do something perceived as good and it must do something that in hindsight is judged as good.

I now am convinced that this is an unprofitable discussion.

96. CrazyCoach says:

Good golly, enough with the hot dogging stories by the MSM already. That dogged attitude the media forever perpetuates is re-goddamn-diculous and should have been left behind in the 70′s. Pro hockey is a business for sure, but any business needs to have a fun element to it otherwise people will leave your organization.

Every good team needs a guy who is confident in a quirky kind of way. Glenn Anderson is exhibit #1. Many would want to wring his neck on a daily basis and his style could be considered as hot dogging at times, but who would you like out there in the playoffs?

The MSM needs to leave this poor kid alone. Give the kid a chance to show what he’s got.

97. "Steve Smith" says:

jonrmcleod:
    I now am convinced that this is an unprofitable discussion.

I wish people would quit saying that every time I talk.

98. Jordan says:

CrazyCoach,

Old Wizened media type:
    Young players these days. They got no respect. Why, back in my day, if a player had made a play like that and danced around like some of them do to celelbrate, even their own fans would be booing them and throwing their belt onions in scorn…

Fat, washed up media person:
    Yeah… just trying to show their better…all that hot dogging around…and now more of them are doing it! So many Hot Dogs out on the ice…

Old Wizened media type:
    …and then after he’d tatooed it to the other guy’s arm using his skate and a bald point pen, Big Henry came in with branding iron and his rusty skates…

Fat, washed up media person:
    …really doesn’t cut the mustard. Defenitely could have used some ketchup. And so cheesey… this could end up being a big chilli reception for the Hot Dogs… mmm… so good…

Fans:
    Entertaining Hockey has returned! Praise be to Stan! Let he never forsake us again!

99. CrazyCoach says:

Jordan you nailed it right on.

I’m sure all was well with the world when Howie Morenz played, but this is 2012.

Hell, we didn’t even have Ruskies back then.

100. rickithebear says:

mattwatt: Yes, Eager is the same level of talent as Couture and Semin.
    Good job finding this “truth” out for us.

Same level of talent? No!

But his even G production rate is highly effective. Why?
    1. Zone entry Speed
    2. Drive to Net.
    3. gods gift of a wrist shot.

Cue Jordon.

Jordan: Woodguy,

I have been beating this drum!

101. spoiler says:

Moen sticks with the Habs. Stempniak with teh Flames… *spits*

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler,

Indeed, Feaster is locking everything down that moves…

Jones just signed too..

That’s what Wideman, Sarich, Stempniak and Jones in 3 days?

did i miss anyone?

103. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think the Joker said he was going UFA – what did he have around 60 points? A big center, roughly 0.75 ppg, should draw about a 3 or 4 year x $5.5M per from some crazed GM?

Edit: At least they still have 2 more years on Stajan’s contract.

104. CrazyCoach says:

Will Iginla get traded if the right deal comes along. His contract is kind of hamstringing Feaster.

After that pick from known prep school superpower Stanstead College, Feaster appears to need more help.

105. jake70 says:

Interesting, I looked at the starting dates of the 2009 – 2011 development camps and they all started well into the first week of July or later. This year, last week of June. Wonder why they moved it up (pre-free agency showcasing the “tuture”?).

106. sliderule says:

On the hot dogging it may bug some but we have too much bland.

In Halls first year he did a few of the big goal fist pumps and I remember Penner after scoring doing a big mocking fist pump mimic of Halls move.The old guard never like the change brought on by youth.

107. nathan says:

sliderule,

What’s next? Sideburns?

108. justDOit says:

CrazyCoach,

I can’t see it. What’s the point of re-upping all these vets for the Flambes if they’re just going to blow it up with trading the Igg?

If things aren’t going Feasty’s way at the trade deadline, and if there’s a desperate GM out there thinking his team just needs one big winger to get over the top, then he could be moved. One good winger, one elite prospect, and a 1st rounder would probably get it done. That way they have a player for the roster, one for the future, and can then select two Stanstead standouts in the next draft.

109. justDOit says:

jake70:
    Interesting, I looked at the starting dates of the 2009 – 2011 development camps and they all started well into the first week of July or later. This year, last week of June.Wonder why they moved it up (pre-free agency showcasing the “tuture”?).

Some of these prospects haven’t been on the ice since April, so maybe they just want to see them earlier into the off season and get them started on a summer workout plan sooner.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit,

Agreed.

Feaster is not acting like a man that is trying to ditch the car and hitchhike. He still thinks his team can win.

111. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I love the smell of delusion in the morning! Smells like victory…

112. Ribs says:

They’ve cancelled the prospect tournament that they’ve been doing, too.

113. justDOit says:

Ribs,

Too bad – would have been interesting to see Jankowski lace em up against major-junior and Euro prospects.

114. whale says:

For what it’s worth. I live in West Kelowna and just talked to a fellow employee who said that Schultz and a buddy of his were golfing in GTA and said it’s between Van and ED with Van having a big advantage. Disappointing.

115. justDOit says:

whale:

I’ll be surprised if he goes to Vancouver. About the only thing that the Oilers can’t offer him immediately is the chance to win a Cup.

116. Romulus Apotheosis says:

whale,

That’s horrible news… I will pray you are a troll

117. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Let’s tar and feather him just to be on the safe side.

Or maybe slay him for his ambergris.

118. whale says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    whale,

That’s horrible news… I will pray you are a troll

Sadly, NO.

119. CrazyCoach says:

Nathan,

Afro sheen and pick combs alongside the Brylcreem and rat tail combs ala Don SHula 1972.

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”,

I’m thinking more along the lines of this:

if he’s legit he won’t float!
    whale,

121. CrazyCoach says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m pretty sure, then, that it is your duty to try and convince your friend to convince JS that if he moves to VAN he is guaranteed to get scabies.

Have you been there lately? Scabies would be the least of your worries. What with the disillusioned fans, rain 7 months of the year, agressive panhandlers, and higher taxes.

122. hunter1909 says:

DeadmanWaking:
    hunter1909,

Somehow I don’t think they equip spacesuits with stilettos, and they use clamps rather than clasps.I think the romance of space is overrated.Something more comfortable … than a condom catheter?The human extremophile rarely mates in extremis.Not even the twin-loving Iron Man.

I was with you right up to the last word.Why “why”? You mean my post “smells like fear”?

I didn’t think I was really making an argument.Neither do I think I play the devil’s advocate, unless god’s mojo is falling into a nodding slumber while the dimmer angles prattle on. Dissecting expressed preference from the frame of what you know when there’s even more you don’t know is a precarious science.Tolstoy and Dickens and Austin seemed to have a rare knack for this.Tolstoy because he couldn’t care less whether his subject was prince or pauper.Dickens because of his sense of how much goes on around the eccentric margins.And Austin because she sees through the protagonist as an unreliable narrator of his/her own cause.

The stupid thing is–what I can never get over–is that while a stopped clock is right twice a day, a wayward cynic bats 0.400.Ordinarily, connecting two times out of five is nothing to brag about, but to bat 0.400 on nothing but a thin gruel of rumours and innuendo is truly an amazing feat.Now a monkey flinging hot darts at a vertical surface bats somewhere near 0.250.This precipice between feat and folly is the stuff of divine comedy.The great thing about a cynic is that a cynic is never more than one lazy stride from putting his foot in an uncomfortable place.

What you termed an argument I would describe as yelling “hey, look down” to Wily Coyote clinging to Newton’s apple bough in flagrante delicto. But then, I’m just an unreliable narrator of my own cause.Who knows what I stepped into?

Chinese practical philosophy dictates she’s going to know her stuff, and in this universe it comes down to this or feminism NASA style, with hatchet faced Jodie Foster(Silence of the Lambs) lookalikes. I merely offered my preference. Not an argument at all, imo.

in real life I know nothing much, but here…I can boldly predict Yakupov’s Kharlamov 2.0; this is a 10 to 1 shot right now, hopefully it goes down to a 6 to 1 by the end of the next season.

Woodguy for example hates my style – I make too many mistakes – he’s looking for accuracy – but I’m only blowing hot air here, and everyone knows, there are plenty of free computers down at the library.

Anyway, i got my Taylor Hall prediction right, lol.

Keep up that great writing, btw. Mind blowing, some of it.

WG: Excellent stuff at the top of this post, thanks for it. I have a couple of questions.

You said “In regards to Streit, you came to the conclusion he was playing 2nd pairing. I disagree with your conclusion.”

In this article by Robert Vollman http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/29/finding-top-line-defensemen he says “Several of these names leap right off the chart based on their reputation alone. Brian Campbell, Brent Burns, Kris Letang, Mark Streit, Paul Martin and possibly even Matt Carle and Alexander Edler are all fairly obvious candidates for top line defensemen – and in fact many people may be surprised to learn that this is not already the case. On each of their teams there are two other defensemen braving the more difficult assignments so they can take advantage of their considerable offensive talents to kick start the team’s scoring, but all of them are likely capable of shouldering a heavier burden if necessary.”

So, it would seem my original point is supported by Vollman. Agree? Or is Vollman using the same sanskrit as me?