HINDSIGHT

“Hindsight is 20/20″. Truer words were never spoken (well, almost: the truest words ever were “never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly les known is this: Never go in against a Sicilin when death is on the line!”)

We’re getting “glimpses” of stories right now regarding the Oilers and they will play out over the summer. A few we know so far:

• Oscar Klefbom may come over for fall TC and that’s quite unusual. SEL teams start things earlier and want their men onside when things get close to the regular year. I think it is possible the Oilers have interest in using Klefbom in the NHL this season.
  • Matias Strozyk from Elite Prospects says Linus Omark told Expressen he doesn’t see a future with the Oilers and hopes to be moved to another team. Would Krueger feel the same?
  • We’re getting hints about the defensemen Edmonton is looking at, with the two most prominent names (Hjalmarsson and Mehot) being stay at homes. I expect the Oilers may have placed all of their puck moving eggs in one basket, and if Schultz doesn’t decide until July 5th or so that could impact the summer.
  • Dustin Nielson just tweeted the Oilers may be looking to trade for an offensive defenseman out of the eastern conference. Franson?
  • DamoSpin has an article up today on Schultz that contains things like “Anaheim couldn’t afford to sign him or at least didn’t believe he was worth that investment.” I haven’t read that anywhere and would question the statement based on Anaheim’s expressed disappointment with Schultz’ decision.

WOVE, TWUE WOVE

I have written one final item about the draft, will post it here or at ON tonight. Basically it is about the reaction to this year’s Oiler draft. I’ve read words like “disaster” and worse, seems to me “instant analysis” has become “universal wisdom” in about 5 days and that is kind of crazy.

I feel better about the Oilers summer than any time since the lockout. MacT isn’t God Almighty, but a reasonable voice in the room can make a helladifference.

I also think they’ll be more aggressive with MacT in the house. We wait.

157 Responses to "HINDSIGHT"

1. franksterra says:

- bringing in The Bom would be a reverting-to-type type mistake
    - Linus should accept his QO and get traded
    - do you think we’re not going to go after the B.Allens and Carles at all?
    - Franson…see point one! We are the 5-7 D-man Super Imporium as it is (for fuck sake, Lund!)

lol. I think the Oilers want a puck mover for the top 4, but am also encouraged that they appear to be interested in adding another defender too. Depth is vital at the position. God knows we’ve learned that lesson since 2006 summer.

3. Jesse says:

Ah, Robin what’s-her-face. My first childhood love. The number of fantasies I had of carrying her through the fire swamp… were many.

The Klefbom thing seems strange: there’s the vibe that they might want to bring him over, and then there’s Oscar himself saying he wants to stay for one more year.

4. franksterra says:

I think in this scenario of needing 2 more NHl d-men, the lower level the depth acquisition is (say Player 1), the more talented and able the higher player (say Player 2) needs to be. If Franson is Player 1, we need to then be aiming quite a way above Hjarlmarsson and Methot for Player 2. I’d prefer a narrower range between 1 and 2 meself.

I think Klefbom is a back up plan if they don’t get Shultz the Younger.

If Shultz signs, Klef stays in the SEL, if they miss out on Shultz, then I bet Klef is on the NHL roster.

They may need to guarantee Klef a NHL spot to get him to come over as well. If its an AHL role, he probably stays in the SEL.

Also,

The first 5 paragraphs of Terry Jones’s article today are pretty awesome.

Pot shots at the Oilers’ GM in print are rare, so noteworthy:

EDMONTON – Mr. Dithers took forever to hire the fourth head coach during his tenure and the 11th in Edmonton Oilers history.

Tentative Tambellini waited 80 days and 80 nights to end up hiring somebody under his nose, Tom Renney’s associate coach here for the last two years.

And then when he made the announcement …

“I’m so proud to have Joe, uh, Ralph join us as the head coach of the Edmonton Oilers,” he began.

Unbelievable. He’s a study, Steve Tambellini.

Remarkably the much-maligned GM actually ended up being quite convincing after his wobbly start to the 9 a.m. press conference at Millennium Place in Sherwood Park.

Here’s the link: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/06/27/jones-oilers-krueger-no-ordinary-joe

6. Jesse says:

And so the media begins to lean on Steve Tambellini. If you happen to be one to read into TJ’s writing you could suggest Tambo’s welcome is wearing out if something big and good happen this season.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

““Anaheim couldn’t afford to sign him or at least didn’t believe he was worth that investment.”

What…!!! I know I’m no math or contracts whiz… but isn’t Schultz’ price set as an ELC??

Who couldn’t afford that??

These ELC university guys are probably the best value D in the world.

8. franksterra says:

really loved Krueger’s words from the Jones piece:

“We are not going to be focused on winning, winning, winning to the point that it suffocates us and we squeeze our sticks. We have skill in our room that’s so exciting. I need to find ways that their instincts can play freely, that we don’t block them in the coaching processes and that their natural ability leads us to winning.

“We will want to attack on a very aggressive basis and we have the tools to do that. When you have skill it can work together and free flow. With team defence, the players here have bought in together already.”

I know RK isn’t meeting with Schultz, but Lowe or Mac better bring this quote up on their phone and let him read it – that’s the style he can expect to play, straight from the horse’s mouth.

Romulus Apotheosis:

Who couldn’t afford that??

These ELC university guys are probably the best value D in the world.

Jesse:

I think the arrival of MacT makes it easier for the writers to take pot shots at Tambellini.

Woodguy: What Cox doesn’t know about hockey and the CBA would be a bigger document than the CBA.

Cox speculates in his article that Shultz may not turn out as a player and uses a few UNDRAFTED UFA signings (Monster etc) as examples.

Not a clue that guy.

12. rich says:

Franson as an option would really concern me. He’s a 3rd pairing puck mover who was always criticized for not hitting anyone. If you think Gilbert got raked for being soft, I shudder to think what they’d do w/Franson.

Hopefully the bar is set a little than that or we’re going to have problems. Hjalrmsson does not appear to be the right answer for a puck mover, but would certainly solidify any holes with another good state-at-home player. Gagner to me is too high a price to pay.

Oilers would be much better sending out an avatar to speak instead of Tambellini. At least they were smart enough not to send him to Toronto to pitch Schultz. Regardless of what happens with that, Tambellini is not capable of closing the sale…and that’s critical when selling free agents.

13. Ducey says:

The first 5 paragraphs of Terry Jones’s article today are pretty awesome

Mr Dithers? Apparently Mr Jones has found the Internet and has decided to steal from it.

I love the comment underneath about Jones not knowing anything about anything that doesn’t have ketchup and mustard on it.

14. striatic says:

i think the only D UFA I’m interested in is Carle. well, and Schultz.

all the others seem like the don’t really improve the D significantly and fill the ranks and the cap inefficiently.

15. Rondo says:

LT,

Inconceivable

16. matmik says:

Questions for all: Who should the Oilers target? So far Hjalrmsson and Yandel have been rejected -

I think they need to target a vet on a bad contract (a Jbow type) that comes of the books in 2/3 years -

17. markasread1199 says:

Oh Toronto media…centre of the universe and all…

Coach K was on Toronto Sports radio yesterday and I was pretty impressed. Here’s the link, I think it’s the first 5-10 min.

Rishaug just tweeted:
    Oiler brass, along with head coach and Taylor Hall will be meeting with Justin Schultz and his reps at Newport later today.

18. Clay says:

With the rumblings of bringing Oscar over, my fear is that Tambo thinks that Shultz Jr. + Klefbom = solution to the D this year.

Hey, he thought Sutton + Barker was the solution last year.

You can’t underestimate this management’s ability to underestimate. Hopefully MacT can give their heads a shake for them.

19. Maverick says:

Woodguy:
    I think Klefbom is a back up plan if they don’t get Shultz the Younger.

They may need to guarantee Klef a NHL spot to get him to come over as well.If its an AHL role, he probably stays in the SEL.

Also,

The first 5 paragraphs of Terry Jones’s article today are pretty awesome.

Pot shots at the Oilers’ GM in print are rare, so noteworthy:

And then when he made the announcement …

Unbelievable. He’s a study, Steve Tambellini.

I literally spilled my morning coffee when I read the first line from Jonesy!! It really is a bad sign when the Edmonton Media is starting to take shots at the GM like many of us do, awesome!!

20. Oil_or_Nothing says:

LT – I would say you can be accused of this very fact by labeling the kids coke machines..

21. fuzzy muppet says:

Woodguy,

I’m with WG here. Klefbom seems to be the “contingency” plan if Schultz passes. Not sure that’s a smart move or not, but it may end up being smarter than throwing 5+ million to Matt Carle or Jason Garrison for long term.

If they are sending Hall as the player rep from the organization, isn’t it about time to sit Horcoff down and explain to him that this IS Taylor Hall’s team. Hall wears the C either this year or next…

22. nathan says:

Oil_or_Nothing,

Doubt LT thinks his instant analysis was remotely close to what can be learned about the guy. That’s the problem with frozen received wisdom.

23. bookje says:

Jones is just bitter that nobody is feeding him inside info now and he will soon have to start writing for a living.

24. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that – not all ELC’s are the same. The base salary is fixed ($925K I believe), but there are up to around $2.5M in optional bonuses up for grabs. This is why Taylor Hall (as a 1st overall) has a cap hit of $3+M while Ebersqueee (as 22nd overall) has only $925K, even though they are both on ELCs.

So first, ANA might only be offering the base ELC, and no bonuses.
    Alternatively, they might be offering a full bonus, but with a ridiculously high bar (“Must win Norris trophy”).
    So as far as offering an ELC goes, part of the discussion might be around what those bonus clauses are and when they kick in. A lot more enticing if the bar is a $1M bonus for hitting 10 goals instead of $500K for 20 goals, but a double edged sword for the team, since the more generous the bonus scheme, the less value the contract has.

On that topic – I’m just thinking out loud on the topic above, because I have no idea just how much leeway teams have for the bonus clauses of ELCs. Are they fixed or 100% negotiable? Anyone familiar enough with the CBA to say?

25. Captain Obvious says:

Methot is a marginal NHL D, I’d much rather have Hjal but not at the price of Gagner or Paajarvi.

So we’re stuck. Of the names actually mentioned Hjal is the best one. The question is that if it costs Gagner what else do we get back. If it’s nothing it’s a bad deal. Realistically Frolik and Hjalmerson is the best we can hope for. At the same time, it’s the least we can hope for. You can’t trade Gagner without getting a center back in return and Frolik appears redundant on the Blackhawks. Capgeek has Frolik as a RW but I thought he was a center.

But Tyutin or Bouwmeester for draft picks is what I really want.

The Wideman contract has make the UFA market on defense prohibitively expensive. There is not much value if you have to pay Carle or Garrison $6 million per season for 4 or 5 years, regardless of how good they are.

So Klefbom and Hjalmarsson (with only 2 years @ $3.5 million) on the 3rd pairing becomes a fallback plan, if you miss out on Schultz, and the cost of a UFA scares the hell out of you. Finding a stop gap on a limited duration contract to replace Gagner gone for Hjalmarsson plus is a lot less risky than Carle or Garrison at $6 million per season for 5 years.

I think the Oilers would like to get Klefbom into a few exhibition games even if he stays in Sweden, just so he gets a feel of where he has to get to, and to just bond with young guys.

27. franksterra says:

Krueger and Hall joining MacT and Vish- very good. But just relax lads, don’t attck the poor boy all at once.

Jones is wrong. When you are hiring a coach, it gives you a chance to pick other peoples minds for eight weeks about your own team, even if you intended to hire Krueger all along.

Plus, do you blame the Oilers for waiting to see if Phoenix blows up, and Tippett becomes available?

Wilson didn’t make the final decision on McClellan than 3 weeks ago.

29. nathan says:

“he will soon have to start writing for a living.”

bookje,

30. Moosemess says:

Terry Jones is writing like someone nearing retirement who’s not overly concerned about flammable bridges. He’s been particularly critical of the Esk’s management following the Ricky Ray trade as well.

That said, his column calling the Oilers gutless wimps was even acknowledged by the org as a motivating factor in them turning the corner towards becoming a more complete team.

31. jonrmcleod says:

Perhaps Tambellini didn’t go to Toronto because he was bitter that the process forced the Oilers to reveal their interest in Schultz. And Steve Tambellini never shows his cards.

32. Ribs says:

Also, it comes from DamoSpin, which is less reliable than Ryan Whitney’s ankles.

Jesse: If you happen to be one to read into TJ’s writing you could suggest Tambo’s welcome is wearing out if something big and good happen this season.

I can’t see anyone reading too much into Jones’ writing. He writes for entertainments sake 80% of the time.

Ryan Dittrick tweeted this on the 14th. Maybe things have changed since then, I don’t know….

It should also be noted that Klefbom will not be attending main camp in September since the Elitserien season is starting. Story to come!

I also don’t know if the story ever came.

Nathan: you’re right, that’s part of the article.

34. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Off-topic, but Oilers news so still relevant:

as per Oilers website, Billy Moores to retire at end of Development Camp, to take on a consultant role to the Player Development Department.

Former Medicine Hat Tigers GM Rick Carriere to take over as Senior Director of Player Development.

35. G Money says:

striatic:
    i think the only D UFA I’m interested in is Carle. well, and Schultz.

Carle would be the best one to go after in my books too, but I don’t think the Oilers have a realistic shot at getting him. (Not that they shouldn’t try)

I would be happy if the Oilers get Schultz and then go after some veteran UFA stay at home 2nd/3rd pairing guy, like a Hannan or Sarich.

I am strongly against a trade for a D at this point.

There is a real danger in losing assets to fill in holes before we know what we’ve already got. The Oilers need to improve on D, but it’s also true that when healthy, Whitney is a legit #1 guy. He may get back to that. If not, after a summer of rehab/conditioning/adaptation, he’s probably at the least a capable 3rd pairing puck mover. There’s also the question of which Corey Potter is legit, ‘first half’ or ‘second half’ Potter. And the comeback kid (Fedun). Until we know where those guys are at, trading away valuable assets up front (e.g. Gagner) to fill holes that should be something that can be stopgapped on the UFA market seems dumb.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money,

Thanks. I knew these contracts were bonus laden… I still don’t see how it would be prohibitively expensive for Ana to structure a deal. he’d be cheaper than picking up a vet of the FA/UFA market, no?

plus after years of investment you are going to walk away because the goodies in a ELC might get cumbersome… seems implausible.

More likely, JS was fine with Ana. but when he realized the loop in the CBA figured he might as well play wherever he liked. There is no need for some deep animus between the parties (prior to that decision at any rate). It is easily explained as JS preferring Canada, or anything else and taking advantage of the CBA.

37. franksterra says:

What about Bryan Allen for the 3rd stay at homer?

38. jake70 says:

Ahhh Robin Wright – first year universtiy….4 of us would all meet at one guy’s dorm room to watch Santa Barbara just before supper…ritual…….lol..we were hooked…..don’t ban me from the blog.

Hall spends his summer in Kingston if I am not mistaken. He is a nice little drive along lake Ontario to TO so that has to be the reason he is going. Although doesn’t Horc go to Michigan in the summer…pretty close to.

39. db7db7 says:

franksterra,

I’ll be happy if he can just teach them how to make a pass.

40. rickithebear says:

fuzzy muppet: I’m with WG here. Klefbom seems to be the “contingency” plan if Schultz passes

This would be terrible. insanity! it will ruin him!

heck with that. great d need three years of development. i want klefbomto be domunate from age 21 to 36 16 years.

putting wjC allstar dmen into the nhl the next season is the norm. all except letang.
    Phanuef Cgy 19yr
    Pietrangelo STL 18,19, 20
    Carlson WSH 19
    Ellis NSH 20
    Orlov WSH 20
    Gormley PHX 20??????
    Klefbom EDM 19 ??????

9 NHL games and back to Sweden would be the Pietrangelo treatment.

41. Jesse says:

Bob McKenzie just RT that the cap will be at $70.8 MM for the summer until the new CBA is signed.

42. Archie says:

LT the only hints about Hjalmarsson and Mehot are coming from the media, a media that didn’t do their home work. These 2 would be a salary dump and would be debatable if they could even make the team. Two D from two bad defensive teams, in most cases they were worse then Edmonton’s. The Oilers need a puck mover and neither is close to that. Are they that much of a upgrade, if that, to even think it and you don’t pay a 3rd pairing D 3-3.5mil a year.

I thought this team was rebuilding through the system and it would make common sense that you leave one spot open for a prospect or a player you hope will come around, like Teubert, Fedun or Peckham. Two years ago everyone was on Smid, look what happened. Just give some of the young Oilers a chance. It’s not like the Oilers will make the playoffs this year.

43. Archie says:

Jesse,

Revenue sharing will go the same way as the NFL and NBA in the next CBA. A lot of US teams are losing money and they’ll fight for that 50/50 split. The players will take a 12% hit, if anything the cap will be dropped.

44. Moosemess says:

Really encouraged by Krueger’s comments yesterday re: accountability and teambuilding, as well as his thoughts on getting the offensive guys playing to their full potential.

I particularly liked his comment about not using practice time as a punishment/carrot. One thing that seemed to happen last year is Renney didn’t look for enough opportunities to keep the room loose and the players upbeat. With vets like Horcoff and Smyth in particular, when their role has become such a thankless one (playing the toughs, tough zone starts, etc.), I think it’s important to shoot them some perks with liberal doses of off time to keep them fresh and invested.

Obviously watching Oil Change doesn’t give us Joe Fans a full appreciation of everything that goes on in the room, but facial expressions say a lot and it seemed like Renney’s rah rah approach was wearing pretty thin and a lot of the players were starting to tune him out.

Fully agree that now is the time to put the C on Hall and quite possibly the A on Eberle as well. The question is, do you completely lose Horcoff in that scenario or is he ready to pass the torch?

45. justDOit says:

Moosemess,

I would say give Hall an A first, and let Horcs mentor him on what it means to wear a letter before dropping the C on him. When the time comes, rotate Ebs in when Hall takes over the captaincy.

46. CrazyCoach says:

Was nice to see Krueger’s comments on how he intends to run the team. I still think he is the best fit for this team at this time. I still shudder when I think that Sutter was being considered for the job. Not that Sutter isn’t a good coach, but he was not the right fit for this team. Krueger is, and that makes me very excited. But I digress, as I was wanting to wade into the murky waters that is Linus Omark.

To me it sounds like he wants out of Edmonton and really it is not hard to blame the youngster after the way he has been handled thus far. Sitting in OKC is tough for a skilled player, while players like Belanger et al are trotted out every night and holding back progress. Like I once heard, you’re a nickel holding back a dollar. Omark has shown in the past that he has the skill to play in the NHL, but the problem to my eye, is that he has not been coached enough to stay in the NHL.

To me, Omark’s issues boil down to what I call the “Can’t or Won’t?” syndrome for coaches. There are a variety of reasons for the “Can’t” situation. Does the player have the actual technical skills to play the game (Omark-yes)? Does the player have the mental skills to adapt and learn new skills (Omark-yes from what I’ve seen)? Does the player understand the role the coach wants them to play (Does Omark look lost?-yes). Does the player understand the team tactics? The way I see it, Omark passes the first two questions with flying colours, while the second two boil down to what the coaching staff has done with him thus far.

The second situation for players is “Won’t”, and this is easier to understand. If the player understands the system understands their role, and has the technical skills to perform, and refuses to, then it’s time for a “Come to Jesus” meeting, if you get my drift. In my experience, players 1-9 (skillwise) are where you tend to get your “won’t issues, while players 10-17 are where you get the “Can’t” issues.

A big coaching mistake is not doing the work required with every player to get them to the point where “can’t” is not an issue.

Right now, I don’t believe Omark is at the point where you could say he is a “won’t” player. He looked lost many nights and wasn’t sure if he was there to score or to check. I know his Tweets and comments would lead you to believe he is a “Won’t” type guy, but I think the frustration he shows is that no one on the coaching staff has removed all the “Can”t’” issues just yet. I hope he stays and I hope Krueger can give him a new lease on life as a player.

47. CrazyCoach says:

Moosemess: I often wonder what pro athletes think of a complete couch potato like Jones criticizing their efforts? I would imagine the derogatory nicknames abound inside the locker room. Seeing Jonesy in a media scrum always reminded me of that Chris Farley scene in Tommy Boy. “Fat guy in a little coat. Fat guy in a little coat.”

Ha ha ha! I now have a coffee stain on my office carpet after reading that. Serves me right for taking a drink as I read this blog.

48. Moosemess says:

justDOit:
    Moosemess,

That makes more sense. Hell, even Gretz apprenticed under Lee Fogolin before they gave him the C.

49. Captain Obvious says:

Well it didn’t take long for the media to turn against Yakupov.

Rishaug: “Yakupov playing to the crowd. Doing Basic drills, celebrating goals like they’re OT winners. Pros won’t like it.”

Tencer: “Yakupov scores top shelf in a drill. Celebrates with one leg in the air, fist pumping his arm to the sky. Goalies won’t like that!”

Media really are bottom feeders.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Obvious:
    Well it didn’t take long for the media to turn against Yakupov.

Rishaug:“Yakupov playing to the crowd. Doing Basic drills, celebrating goals like they’re OT winners. Pros won’t like it.”

Tencer:“Yakupov scores top shelf in a drill. Celebrates with one leg in the air, fist pumping his arm to the sky. Goalies won’t like that!”

Media really are bottom feeders.

Media (sports, politics, doesn’t matter) will never be able to square the circle of admiration and adoration of the iconoclasts, reformers and larger-than-life characters with their deeply ingrained conservatism and deference to the status quo.

the love of tradition and authority unhappily married to the love of rebellion… sums up the media and its treatment of “stars”

51. Professor Q says:

Isn’t Campoli a FA as well?

52. jonrmcleod says:

Captain Obvious,

I hope pros and goalies really hate Yakupov this season.

53. justDOit says:

jonrmcleod:
    Captain Obvious,

I hope pros and goalies really hate Yakupov this season.

Yes. Props to this.
    jonrmcleod,

54. pboy says:

nathan: “he will soon have to start writing for a living.”bookje, Good luck with that If he can’t do anything better with a shiv than scratch out D-I-T-H-E-R-S.Per CNN Tambellini and Justin Schultz met for dinner last night. Waiter failed to close the deal and is now showing them the breakfast menu.The whole Schultz Combine is too funny for words. Looking forward to seeing Tambellini on the bike for the VO2 test.

Can you imagine sitting at a Blackjack table with Tambo? His head would be ready to explode everytime he looked up and the dealer had a facecard.

55. DeadmanWaking says:

I think they sent MacT to flash his newly minting MBA while explaining the bandwagon principle and network effects. Look at it this way Justin, you’re not the fish, you’re the bait.

Then Lowe pipes up: the only thing I never accomplished in my career was the Olympic gold, which was no problem, I just welded my other five rings together. Don’t tell Burkie. He thinks I made myself a set of brass knuckles.

56. nathan says:

‏@GenePrincipe
    Lowe,Tambellini,Krueger,Hall met with Justin Schultz and agent in Mississauga today. After meeting Lowe not saying whether in or out of hunt

57. matmik says:

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe

I’m sure we’ll here whispers either way shortly

58. El Guapo says:

G Money:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that – not all ELC’s are the same.The base salary is fixed ($925K I believe), but there are up to around $2.5M in optional bonuses up for grabs.This is why Taylor Hall (as a 1st overall) has a cap hit of $3+M while Ebersqueee (as 22nd overall) has only $925K, even though they are both on ELCs.

So first, ANA might only be offering the base ELC, and no bonuses.
    So as far as offering an ELC goes, part of the discussion might be around what those bonus clauses are and when they kick in.A lot more enticing if the bar is a $1M bonus for hitting 10 goals instead of $500K for 20 goals, but a double edged sword for the team, since the more generous the bonus scheme, the less value the contract has.

On that topic – I’m just thinking out loud on the topic above, because I have no idea just how much leeway teams have for the bonus clauses of ELCs. Are they fixed or 100% negotiable?Anyone familiar enough with the CBA to say?

There are only 10 categories of Team Bonuses for defencemen: Goals, Assists, Points , TOI, PPG , Plus/Minus, Blocked Shots and being sleected to the All-Rookie team, the NHL all Star Team, or being the All-Star MVP. The maximum bonus for each category is $212,500.

Each category has a minimum performace level before a bonus can be paid. For defenemen, it is 10 goals, 25 assists, 40 points, 0.49 ppg, being in the top 4 of team defencemen for minutes played, among top 3 defencemen on the team in plus/minus, and among the top two team defencemen in blocked shots. The PPG, Minutes, +/- and blocked shots all require a minimum of 42 games played.

Given this, if Schultz is really interested in earning cash for the next two years he should pick a team that will not only guarantee him enough games and minutes, but also provide significant offensive opportunities. I think this is why people are saying the Canucks and Oilers are the two frontrunners.

59. pboy says:

Expect the Penguins to announce Sidney Crosby’s contract extension on Sunday. Over $100 million dollars with an AAV of close to $9 mil per. As per Darren Dreger

60. jonrmcleod says:

jonrmcleod,

Looks like Tambellni was in Toronto.

Dustin Neilson tweeted that heard rumours about Mark Streit to the Oilers.

Bob Stauffer just tweeted that he’s like Streit over Hjarlsosososososon

There’s some smoke there as Bob tweeted unprompted by anyone.

I like Streit a lot.

Plays toughs and outshoots them.

Puck moving Dman.

4.1MM, last year of his contract.

Only downside is that he is LH….unless he has J. Shultz playing on his right on a 2nd pairing (I like leaving Smid against the toughs)

This would be a great move for the Oilers.

Exactly the kind of guy they should be targetting.

Contract allows for flexibility next year as well.

El Guapo: Teams have very little leeway in the performance bonus structure in ELC’s. A player can receive only two types of bonuses, “Team” and “League, as set out in Exhibit 5 of the CBA.

There are only 10 categories of Team Bonuses for defencemen:Goals, Assists, Points , TOI, PPG , Plus/Minus, Blocked Shots and being sleected to the All-Rookie team, the NHL all Star Team, or being the All-Star MVP.The maximum bonus for each category is $212,500.

Each category has a minimum performace level before a bonus can be paid.For defenemen, it is 10 goals, 25 assists, 40 points, 0.49 ppg, being in the top 4 of team defencemen for minutes played, among top 3 defencemen on the team in plus/minus, and among the top two team defencemen in blocked shots.The PPG, Minutes, +/- and blocked shots all require a minimum of 42 games played.

Given this, if Schultz is really interested in earning cash for the next two years he should pick a team that will not only guarantee him enough games and minutes, but also provide significant offensive opportunities.I think this is why people are saying the Canucks and Oilers are the two frontrunners.

Excellent post.

I don’t see ANA not offering the same incentives though, they are in bad shape on the back end.

63. TheOtherJohn says:

Well if he speaks to his credentials:

“Hi I’m Kevin Lowe and in my former career I was an important part of 6 Stanley Cup winning teams. As head of hockey operations for the Edmonton Oilers I have overseen a team that made the playoffs twice in the last 10 years and have had the worst record in the NHL over the course of the current CBA”

Because if he could still play we’d need one less top 4 D man

64. Maverick says:

Woodguy:
    Dustin Neilson tweeted that heard rumours about Mark Streit to the Oilers.

Bob Stauffer just tweeted that he’s like Streit over Hjarlsosososososon

There’s some smoke there as Bob tweeted unprompted by anyone.

I like Streit a lot.

Plays toughs and outshoots them.

Puck moving Dman.

4.1MM, last year of his contract.

This would be a great move for the Oilers.

Exactly the kind of guy they should be targetting.

Contract allows for flexibility next year as well.

I would take Mark Streit over the Hawk’s dman for sure. Streit brings a little offensive. TOI and PP and SH totals are as follows.

Judge upholds Glendale lease agreement.

Clears one more hurdle for the Yotes to stay.

Also,

Didn’t see anyone else post it, but Crosby signs for 104.4MM over 12 years$

8.7MM cap hit (natch)

66. Maverick says:

jonrmcleod:
    jonrmcleod,

Looks like Tambellni was in Toronto.

Someone in the bunch has to pour the water. :-)

jonrmcleod:
    jonrmcleod,

Looks like Tambellni was in Toronto.

Sherpa.

68. rich says:

Am good w/Streit. He’s good on the power play as well and it means we Krueger will not be tempted to put Belanger back on the point as well. Much better option than Franson.

69. jonrmcleod says:

@StapeNewsday

70. El Guapo says:

Woodguy,

Agreed. But the way the bonuses are structured means that games played is really the secondary concern, the important factor is minutes played per game. I read that ANA offered to guarantee a roster spot, but that is really not sufficient to secure a decent shot at the bonuses. This is why I think that if it is really down to VAN or the Oilers that the best move for him is to choose the Oilers. Does anyone really believe Vignault will give the kid top 4 minutes once he struggles halfway through the season?

And another thing just popped into my head…what if we have a lockout shortened season? Is any team that is either a front runner (VAN, NYR) or a team desperate to make the playoffs (TOR) really going to give Schultz the games and minutes he needs to achieve the bonuses when we have a 60 or fewer game season and playoff seeding or the 8th spot is on the line?

71. Professor Q says:

El Guapo,

Apparently there won`t be a shortened season if there is a labor dispute

72. Bad Seed says:

Woodguy,

Isn’t Streit also Swiss? Tie in to Krueger.

73. spoiler says:

Bad Seed: Woodguy, Isn’t Streit also Swiss? Tie in to Krueger.

Absolutely there is.

74. spoiler says:

Shortlist fr TSN:

After meeting with his Newport representatives in Toronto, unrestricted free agent Justin Schultz is ready to talk to a shortlist of NHL teams bidding for his services.

And the young defenceman has narrowed down his list of suitors to the Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators and Edmonton Oilers.

Also BobbyMac reports that Krueger was Renney’s recommendation for a replacement upon not being extended.

75. copperblueandwhite says:

LT: Why does Kevin Dallman’s name never come up as an NHL possible…Dallman is a very quick D man, great skater, great shot and the 4th OVERALL scorer in the KHL last year; here’s how Elite Prospects describes him:

An offensive-minded, puck-moving defenseman. Skates well, and is very mobile. Has a bomb from the point, and displays leader qualities. Is a bit undersized as a defenseman, which hurts him in battles for position and the puck. (EP)

jonrmcleod:

@StapeNewsday

I hope there is no truth to the rumour that there is no truth to the rumour.

77. copperblueandwhite says:

Latendresse won’t sign with the Wild: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/Russos_Rants.html

78. nathan says:

Countdown to St@uffer running down Schultz begins now:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@NHL_Oilers
    “Hopefully (Schultz) feels he wants to join something that could soon be very special in the years to come.” – ‪#Oilers‬ Kevin Lowe

79. copperblueandwhite says:

jonrmcleod:

@StapeNewsday

I hope there is no truth to the rumour that there is no truth to the rumour.

Someone from the Isles D-core should be shaken loose…Hamonic would fit here…imo

80. Marc says:

copperblueandwhite:

He also says he wants to go somewhere close to his son in Montreal, so I’m guessing Edmonton isn’t high on his list

81. justDOit says:

copperblueandwhite:

jonrmcleod:Woodguy,

@StapeNewsday‪#isles‬ are out of the Justin Schultz sweepstakes. Also zero truth to rumors of Mark Streit going to EDM in a trade.

I hope there is no truth to the rumour that there is no truth to the rumour.

Someone from the Isles D-core should be shaken loose…Hamonic would fit here…imo

I wonder if Hall would have any hard feelings about Hamonic coming to the Oilers? Probably not, and playing with him would be easier than playing against him, I guess.

82. LMHF#1 says:

I’m going to go ahead and believe the Streit rumor. I’m also going to go ahead and think we have a decent chance of signing Schultz.

Streit
    Smid
    Whitney
    Petry
    Schultz
    Schultz
    Sutton/Potter

Looks a hell of a lot better than what we’ve been dealing with. If they could add one more quality D so that suddenly Whitney’s a third pairing guy, you’re laughing.

83. Marc says:

copperblueandwhite:

Someone from the Isles D-core should be shaken loose…Hamonic would fit here…imo

Why?

The Islanders gave up the second most goals in the league last season. Depth on D isn’t exactly a strength of theirs.

84. copperblueandwhite says:

Marc,

85. Captain Obvious says:

I like Streit as well but it all comes down to cost. The Oilers can’t afford to give up much actual talent for a rental at this point and you can’t trade too much for someone on the basis that you “hope” to sign him.

I don’t see it happening. The Islanders are below the cap floor and so won’t be motivated for salary reasons and if they aren’t motivated for salary reasons there is no way to get him for value.

86. justDOit says:

Woodguy:
    Also,

Didn’t see anyone else post it, but Crosby signs for 104.4MM over 12 years$

8.7MM cap hit (natch)

Nice to see Sid foregoing a raise just to help out the team.

87. Marc says:

copperblueandwhite,

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant why would the Islanders want to give up any D when it’s their weakest position?

88. justDOit says:

Wow. Gill locked up for 2 x $2M/yr with Nashville. Makes the Sutton contract look more reasonable. Who would you rather have, Gill or Sutton?

89. justDOit says:

Marc,

Very true. I really doubt they’d move a young player like Hamonic, but Streit is 34 and has one year left until he’s UFA. His next contract will be more risky because he’ll be 35 when he signs it. So his overall value is dropping off this year, and he’s not exactly a stalwart, defensively. If the Isles can get a defence prospect in exchange for a one year rental on Streit, then they might take it. Like Peckham and possibly a lower round pick?

But what doesn’t make sense, is that they still have $$ to spend to make it to the ever growing cap floor. If they shed his $4M salary now, they’ll just have to find a way to spend that money on another player.

90. DSF says:

James Mirtle runs down the FA forwards:

And the defensemen:

91. FPB94 says:

Mark Streit is a great defensemen. He’s an offensive dynamo and much more reliable defensively than it would look.

He’s a great guy in the room (Never threw anyone under the bus, always praises teammates etc), works hard, is solid, and healthy (outside the freak injury)

92. FPB94 says:

Btw. Crosby for TWELVE years?

When will they learn…

93. hockeyguy10 says:

FPB94,

Also Streit would have played for Krueger on the Swiss National team.So maybe there is a little fire to go with the smoke.

94. FPB94 says:

hockeyguy10,

Nice. And he’s exactly the type of underrated guy you can get for 25 cents on the dollar.

95. Marc says:

justDOit:

The ‘Sutton overpay’ is the kind of hysterical non-story that gives fans on the internet a bad name. Bad contracts harm no one but the team owner when a team is as far below the cap as the OIlers will be next season. And in any event, to the extent that there was an overpay, it would only be a couple hundred thousand dollars at best – maybe 0.5% of the cap.

It is entirely reasonable to prefer a player that you know and like, know what he can and can’t do, who is popular with his teammates (especial the young meal tickets) and who genuinely wanted to stay for another season, to some replacement level player who you know comparatively nothing about, even if the latter saves the billionaire owner a couple hundred thousand dollars.

96. striatic says:

Marc: The ‘Sutton overpay’ is the kind of hysterical non-story that gives fans on the internet a bad name. Bad contracts harm no one but the team owner when a team is as far below the cap as the OIlers will be next season.And in any event, to the extent that there was an overpay, it would only be a couple hundred thousand dollars at best – maybe 0.5% of the cap.

this.

97. nathan says:

The Ranger’s pitch:

SCHULTZ: Coach. What opportunities can you open up for me in ice time assignments?

TORTORELLA: A number of things. I’ll keep it in the room.

SCHULTZ: Can you just talk about the total amount of ice time?

TORTORELLA: No.

SCHULTZ: Can you talk about the power play time I’ll get?

TORTORELLA: No.

SCHULTZ: What can you tell me?

TORTORELLA: I’m going to keep it in the room.

98. FPB94 says:

nathan,

Haha nice.

SCHULTZ : What kind of style would you insert me in?

TORTORELLA: I wish you would watch the games and talk about it idiot.

99. justDOit says:

Marc,

I actually like Sutton, and I was happy that he was re-signed – although I do worry about his ability to be able to play his game and remain in the lineup for an entire season. If he pulls back from being an aggressive hitter, he’s not going to be as effective, and if he gets suspended again it could be for a very long time.

You’re right, it’s really no right of the fans to disapprove of the owner’s financial obligations, but it does speak to the ability of the GM to appropriately value his assets. Everyone was bashing ST for Sutton’s contract, but now that doesn’t seem so bad. I would def rather have Sutton than Gill.

But the value of dmen seems to be going up dramatically this off season (duh). Wideman getting over 5, and now an old, glacially-footed Gill getting 2 x 2?

100. Cactus says:

Jonathan Quick just got a 10 year deal for more than $50M. Did no one learn from the Luongo deal?

101. justDOit says:

Cactus:
    Jonathan Quick just got a 10 year deal for more than $50M.Did no one learn from the Luongo deal?

Big difference here is that Luongo’s deal didn’t come after him winning a Cup AND the Conn Smythe trophy.

102. FPB94 says:

justDOit,

History has learned us that goalie performances fluctuate like ping pong balls and make no sense.

See: Mike Smith, Brian Elliott.

103. Rondo says:

I wonder who has more potential Justin Schultz or Brendan Smith both went to the same school

104. justDOit says:

FPB94:
    justDOit,

See: Mike Smith, Brian Elliott.

I don’t know about ‘no sense’. Didn’t Smith start to perform when he finally got behind a good defence system (Tippet), and Elliot turned things around playing under the Hitchcock system?

I do see your point though. Maybe Sutter should be given a percentage of Quick’s contract?

105. justDOit says:

Rondo:
    I wonder who has more potentialJustin Schultz or Brendan Smith both went to the same school

I would give Smith the nod right now, for no other reason than he has been taught how to play pro hockey in the AHL, and not rushed into an NHL lineup too early.

106. commonfan14 says:

copperblueandwhite: Re Hamonic: Big and strong and in his first two NHL seasons, Hamonic was the only Islanders player to finish both seasons plus in plus-minus.

Smid, Eberle, Lupul, Hamonic. Would have been quite the haul if we’d just kept it all.

107. Bar_Qu says:

commonfan14: I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the pick that turned into Hamonic was part of the Pronger return.

Smid, Eberle, Lupul, Hamonic.Would have been quite the haul if we’d just kept it all.

What was the title of the blogpost?

I always say hindsight is 50/50 but that’s because I’m more pessimistic.

And LA will be cursing that contract in a few years. I’m sure they could have had Quick for 5 yrs and it would have been a better deal. But, hindsight and all….

108. Jordan says:

commonfan14,

Yup, that would definitely be better.

Looking at the 2008 Draft wiki, I couldn’t help but laugh. Anaheim’s 2nd round selection 43rd overal in that year was… Justin Schultz.

That was the 2nd Round pick the Oilers gave up for Dustin Penner.

Gave up both Myers and Schultz for Penner? Ugh.

109. nathan says:

“Gave up both Myers and Schultz for Penner? Ugh.”

Jordan,

Small potatoes compared to landing Vanek. Shudder.

110. justDOit says:

nathan:
    “Gave up both Myers and Schultz for Penner? Ugh.”

Jordan,

Small potatoes compared to landing Vanek. Shudder.

I think that would have meant giving up the first round picks of Myers, MPS, and Hall. EEEOUCH!

Captain Obvious:
    I like Streit as well but it all comes down to cost.The Oilers can’t afford to give up much actual talent for a rental at this point and you can’t trade too much for someone on the basis that you “hope” to sign him.

I don’t see it happening.The Islanders are below the cap floor and so won’t be motivated for salary reasons and if they aren’t motivated for salary reasons there is no way to get him for value.

NYI just traded for Lubo, who is a lot like Streit (small puck mover), although Streit has played tougher minutes.

Hamonic isn’t shaking loose.

In terms of the cap I can see NYI offering Reinhart a rookie max contract and putting him on the roster.

Strome will be on the roster (1.74MM) and probably de Haan (1.47).

Even if Strome is on the team, they need 4 more forwards.

They can get to the floor without Streit.

They can get to the floor easier with Steit, but if Reinhart and de Haan make the team then I can see them dealing Streit.

They are at 44.7MM + 2MM (bonus) right now with 16 players on the roster.

Floor is 54.3MM so they need to add10MM over 7 players, or if they trade Streit, 8 players over 14MM.

Not that tough, especially if Reinhart gets 3.75MM,

112. justDOit says:

nathan,

my bad – I was only going off the top of my head, and I thought it was 3 first rounders. sure illustrates how bad offer sheets to high level players are if your team isn’t in the top 15 in the league.

113. spoiler says:

Yes, this.

I recall being castigated for defending this signing. Pretty sure MC79 wrote an entire blog entry about how the $s didn’t fit with Sutton’s comps. And yet, voila, they do.

114. raventalon40 says:

There was a comment on TSN from a “friend of Justin Schultz” that he wants to play near home for someone in his family or something like that.

115. spoiler says:

TSN has a poll up on which team fans think Schultz will choose.

After 11,000+ votes, Oilers are leading all other contenders nearly 2 to 1.

Have you guys been stuffing ballot boxes today?

116. spoiler says:

raventalon40:

Maybe. But then why is he fielding offers from Toronto, Ottawa and NYR?

117. raventalon40 says:

spoiler: Maybe. But then why is he fielding offers from Toronto, Ottawa and NYR?

I don’t explain the weather, I just report the storms.

As Blackie the weather man says, “IT’S GON RAIN.”

118. cabbiesmacker says:

spoiler: Yes, this.

I recall being castigated for defending this signing. Pretty sure MC79 wrote an entire blog entry about how the $s didn’t fit with Sutton’s comps. And yet voila, it does.

Could have been worse castigation Spoils. All you had to be was on the side of “Martin Brodeur is a Really Good Goalie” to suffer the Mudcrutch stat enhanced indignities. Turns out if you take enough sets of hockey numbers, rotate them cunterclockwise, spin them one f-stop to the right, then turn them inside out, many very good hockey players come out smelling like doggie poo.

Bobby Orr for example was a complete catastrophe in the neutral zone pitted against players between 6’1″ and 6′ 1.5 inches, on Tuesdays when the barometer dipped and gold was hovering a tad under $300 an ounce..

119. justDOit says:

spoiler,

Because it’s difficult to get a bidding war going with only 2 teams in the mix?

120. raventalon40 says:

justDOit:
    spoiler,

Because it’s difficult to get a bidding war going with only 2 teams in the mix?

121. voxwah says:

spoiler,

Not me, I only voted 323 times.

122. justDOit says:

raventalon40,

Others more edumacated on the CBA have discussed this at length on this site already, but the deal will involve some creative perf bonuses, and the team has to guarantee him a certain role and minutes on the club. I’m not sure how you do that though.

So just because he wants to be close to family, he would be stupid to take offers from only Van and Edm. Even if he doesn’t want to play in Ott or NY, those offers can be used to influence the team he wants to go to.

My only reservation about guaranteeing him PP minutes and whatnot on the Oilers, is how Petry will take that. He has SHOWN he can play in this league, and Schultz wants to horn in on his action? Hmm.

123. spoiler says:

cabbiesmacker: Could have been worse castigation Spoils. All you had to be was on the side of “Martin Brodeur is a Really Good Goalie” to suffer the Mudcrutch stat enhanced indignities. Turns out if you take enough sets of hockey numbers, rotate them cunterclockwise,spin them one f-stop to the right, then turn them inside out, many very good hockey players come out smelling like doggie poo.

Ah hah!! So it depends on the focal length of your 20/20 hindsight, then, lol.

124. raventalon40 says:

justDOit:
    raventalon40,

125. "Steve Smith" says:

raventalon40: So what happens when he signs the contract, and he doesn’t get the PP time he was promised? Such as, 1.5 minutes a nigt and he only gets 1.48 or something stupid?

He gets pissed off, presumably; the SPC doesn’t allow for things like ice-time guarantees, so any promise the Oilers made in that regard wouldn’t be binding.

126. El Guapo says:

justDOit,

Scroll up for my post on ELC performance bonuses, there are only 10 categories for defencemen with significant minimums that must be met before a bonus can be awarded. The max bonus for any category is $212,500. There is little to be creative within the bonus structure, and I am guessing the agent has asked each team to award the entire bonus for each category once the minimum is reached.

As a result, the only factor truly within the team’s control that can differentiate their pitch from the others is the number of games and minutes played. According to Willis, someome in the Vancouver media has stated that the Canucks are unwilling to give a guarantee, which makes sense given that they probably cannot afford to give top 4 minutes to a rookie if they want to ensure that they win the NW again.

Seems the Oilers general suckage on defence might work in their favour in this instance.

127. Archie says:

I can live with Mark Streit, he’s what the Oilers could use and he’s not soft like Hammer or Franson. I think Belanger would get him, wouldn’t trade any of the young prospects for him though. If I remember right NYI needs a defensive C and Belanger might be a good fit.

128. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:
    Have you guys been stuffing ballot boxes today?

Yes, but not that one.

(I figure it’s only a matter of time before people start asking questions about how the SCOTUS upheld the individual mandate in a 10,563-4 judgement.)

raventalon40: I don’t undestand though, there are limitations on what you can do with an ELC, aren’t there?

Performance Bonuses for Dmen as per the CBA:

b)
    i) Ice time (aggregate and/or per Game). Player must be among top four (4) defensmen on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group) (Note: an Entry Level SPC may contain bonuses for both aggregate and per Game ice time; however, the maximum aggregate amount the Player may receive on account of the ice time category is $212,500.)

ii) Goals: 10 Goal Minimum

iii) Assists: 25 Assist Minimum

iv) Points: 40 Point Minimum

v) Points per Game: .49 Points Per Game Minimum (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group)

vi) Plus-Minus Rating: Among top three (3) defensemen on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group)

vii) Blocked Shot: Among top two (2) defensemen on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group)

viii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team

ix) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play on plays)

x) NHL All-Star Game MVP

As far I know a team can put 4 of these 10 incentive levels in an ELC.

A team (like the Oilers) offering incentives in i, ii, iii, iv to hit the max and tell him that he will hit those levels goes a long way.

If you are VAN, you might not be able to offer i) with confidence as there are players in front of Shultz.

viii is only for 1 year (obv), and ix) and x) are long shots.

Not everyone can offer what the Oilers offer in terms of actually earning the rookie max.

130. justDOit says:

Good question – that’s what I mean when I say I don’t know how you do something like guarantee a role on the team.

Detroit purportedly told the Schultz camp that he would be given a roster spot on opening day, and after that it was his to try and keep. I really doubt that Detroit would promote Smith AND bring in Schultz, and it wouldn’t sit well with Smith if he’s kept in the AHL while Schultz plays in Detroit. So that’s why Schultz is no longer considering Detroit.

131. "Steve Smith" says:

As well, a belated announcement: in accordance with a request by somebody purporting to be Godot10, a $200 donation has been made on behalf of the Lowetide blog community to the Edmonton United Way.

132. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: Yes, but not that one.

LOL! Well they said 5-4, so they covered your vote-stuffing. It’s a tax! And then Obama insisted it wasn’t, although that’s what got him the win.

133. cabbiesmacker says:

spoiler: Ah hah!! So it depends on the focal length of your 20/20 hindsight, then, lol.

Indeed. As long as you aren’t taking a macro view of things and diddling with the corsi iso”s.

134. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: It’s a tax! And then Obama insisted it wasn’t, although that’s what got him the win.

Well, Obama’s been consistent in saying that it isn’t a tax, so there’s no hypocrisy there, I don’t think. What’s really interesting is that John Roberts simultaneously held that it isn’t a tax (so the Anti-Injunction Act doesn’t apply) and that it is a tax (so it’s a legitimate exercise of the federal government’s power). Although of course a word can have different meanings in different contexts, so that’s not inherently inconsistent.

(It’s possible that “really interesting” does not mean what I think it means.)

135. justDOit says:

“Steve Smith”: Well, Obama’s been consistent in saying that it isn’t a tax, so there’s no hypocrisy there, I don’t think.What’s really interesting is that John Roberts simultaneously held that it isn’t a tax (so the Anti-Injunction Act doesn’t apply) and that it is a tax (so it’s a legitimate exercise of the federal government’s power).Although of course a word can have different meanings in different contexts, so that’s not inherently inconsistent.

(It’s possible that “really interesting” does not mean what I think it means.)

I’m not sure that I know what ‘tax’, ‘sexual relations’ or ‘cigar’ mean anymore.

Oh look at the time – I’m going to be late to testify at my death panel…

136. "Steve Smith" says:

justDOit,

Sometimes an ice floe is just an ice floe.

137. nathan says:

“Steve Smith”,

Way off topic but for anyone actually following along at home (I have not been) reference is to whether court had jurisdiction now instead of afterwards:

138. justDOit says:

“Steve Smith”:
    justDOit,

Sometimes an ice floe is just an ice floe.

Oh man, that made milk shoot out of my nose – and I wasn’t even drinking milk! We’re getting way off topic here. Time for a new article, LT!

139. voxwah says:

Archie,

Done, Does Eric need a ride to the Airport?

“Steve Smith”:

Solid.

Woodguy,

The Oilers having a horrid D is actually a positive in this situation.

Who knew?

I can see v4.0 at the Shultz presser:

“I didn’t improve the Dcops at all in the 4 years I’ve been here for all the 1st overall draft picks, and this moment. I’ll start to do better starting…….now”

142. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

And COH is reporting that the Canucks will not provide guarantees for playing time, and that they might have cap issues with a rookie making the ELC maximum. Garrison makes more sense for Vancouver to target, as long as they can find a taker for Luo and sign Schneider.

justDOit:
    Woodguy,

oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please,

“Steve Smith”:

Good on ya. I had suggested the Human Fund, but The United Way is a good one too.

Next bet: Justin Schultz’ destination? Minsk?

145. voxwah says:

New blog post up….

146. BlacqueJacque says:

Yes, of course, all credit to MacT. When the Oilers inevitably improve next season (from starting Dubnyk + development from the kids) and fill blindingly obvious holes in the roster that have been there since Chris Pronger was traded (and MacT still had a voice with the team…), we’ll look back on this post and say “ah ha! LT nailed it, it’s all thanks to Craig.”

IMO the Oilers braintrust plays dumb (literally, for not saying anything, and figuratively, for letting us think they’re stupid) while actually being smart. Once last season started going off the rails, they allowed it to. Renney was the patsy whose contract was conveniently up, and who could be counted on to play Khabi at management’s request. Dithers dithered at the deadline because he had nothing to gain by trying to get better, and a lot to lose in the process. While clearly happy to end up 29th and be in ideal position to pick the safe BPA who’d fill a gaping hole, the Oilers weren’t so stupid as to not pick the BPA at #1 overall. They simultaneously let the media spin away and drive up the value of the pick by making their intentions unknown.

In short, I’m more inclined to believe that the Oilers braintrust isn’t totally retarded, than to believe that the addition of MacT will make them better. Toby Peterson.

It’s actually Toby Petersen.

148. BlacqueJacque says:

Thanks for the correction.

I could just refer to him as the guy who managed a -18 playing only 64 games in limited minutes, putting him just behind Lupul (-29), Horcoff and Greene (-22), and Sykora (-20), none of whom played less than 78 games and easily had double the minutes of Toby Petersen.

Until MacT admits that was a management mandate to tank the season, rather than his own and consistent fetish for unskilled grinders with a lot of heart, he’s never getting any respect from the fanbase.

Yes, I think he’s actually that bad, with an outside chance of being Lowe’s lapdog.

I was actually surprised at how much of a welcome he got when returning. I posted a few “is he coming back?” posts expected complete vitriol but it was probably 50/50 or less. Three years of mucking around in shit does that to a man.

150. BlacqueJacque says:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate him. I defended MacT many times before I found the blogs and forums and before I decided on a name here. I don’t even think he’s a terrible signing… I just never, EVER want to see him near a coaching position again. Or having the final word on player personnel.

He’s got a very consistent and unfortunate blind spot for those grinders I mentioned. Petersen and Marty ‘Sakic’ are the two most obvious examples (though Sakic the Second was at least a redeemable NHL player). For all the arguments that he lead us to the Cup Finals… Chris Pronger. Let’s face it, he was the best defenceman in the world at the time – certainly the playoffs. For fully 30 minutes per game, almost nothing could go wrong and a lot could go right. Then Mac went with the absolutely wrong choice in goal after game 1 and that was that. If we had Roli, we would have had the Cup. If we had Markkanen in game 1, we might have won.

But above all, it is MacT’s inability to get the locker room in order post-Pronger that annoyed me. The growing gulf between the kids and the entitled veterans (Moreau chief among them) was frustrating to watch.

i know he line-matched, but really, LT, if that’s your definition of a good coach, then I’m one based on my div 10 floor hockey coaching experience.

One day you’ll explain your love for him to us. Until then, or until I get bored, I’m glad to mock the coach who most clearly lost his mind behind the Oilers bench.

151. G Money says:

BlacqueJacque:

He’s got a very consistent and unfortunate blind spot for those grinders I mentioned.Petersen and Marty ‘Sakic’ are the two most obvious examples (though Sakic the Second was at least a redeemable NHL player)

Ah, the old ‘MacT loved Petersen’ myth. Zona quoted Dawgbone over at C&B in doing a great job of completely torching that old pile of poo. I’ll quote their salient points to save the effort of clicking, but read the posting and attibutions at http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/6/14/3084888/how-craig-mactavish-really-handled-toby-petersen

Salient points quoted:

In 06-07 Petersen:

played 64 games (9th amongst F)
    played a total of 874 minutes and 46 seconds (10th amongst F)
    played 662 minutes and 47 seconds at ES (9th amongst F)
    played 87 minutes on the PP (9th amongst F)

So he was basically a 3rd liner on a team that suffered a bunch of injuries and dressed basically an AHL team for the last 20 games of the regular season. Can we let this crap about how MacT favoured Petersen die already?

152. G Money says:

and
    El Guapo,

Thanks for that info. Very helpful in understanding the Schultz ELC situation.

I would guess that at this point it’s fairly certain that:
    - Moving close to home is an obvious driver for Schultz. Otherwise, Anaheim is quite a favoured destination among NHL players, with quite a number making their off-season homes in the area
    - So the Oilers and Nucks are the obvious choices (presumably the Flamers *should* have been one of the favoured options, until Wideman) – Toronto and Ottawa are farther than Anaheim after all
    - Vancouver is a short drive from Kelowna, Edmonton a short flight
    - So it comes down to where he’s likely to find the most favourable playing and monetary situation
    - The Nucks can offer a lower-tier position on a deep defense, a veteran squad, and an established high-end offense
    - The Oil can offer a higher-tier position on a weak defense, a young squad, and an up and coming offense

Not much to predict now it seems. By my eye, looks like a slight advantage Vancouver on the ‘close to home’ front, a saw-off on the playing situation front, and a slight advantage Edmonton on the (likely) monetary front.

Guess we wait until Sunday to find out what his particular priorities are …

153. gcw_rocks says:

“This Schultz things is just so interesting. Oilers sent Lowe and MacT, while Steve Tambellini hung back in order to call Ralph Krueger every name in the book. It’s an interesting item–and maybe Tambellini flew out after the PC–and I think it is a tell about where MacT slots in the hierarchy.”

If this draft is a flop, I am putting it on MacT. I think you are right, that he is either making calls or the main ear that Lowe is listening to. I would bet he has had significant influence on the shift to drafting coke machines, approved hiring Krueger and making the pitch for Schultz.

Good thing this new and loud voice will roll in a view of fancy stats so we avoid trading another Gilbert for another Nick Schultz. Oh wait, he doesn’t beleive in fancy stats…

BTW – I agree we will need to wait a while to determine if the draft really is a flop, but when the team is reaching with every pick except Zharkov, the onus is on management to prove they were smarter than everyone else, not on us to have blind faith.

154. BlacqueJacque says:

G Money,

You’re looking at season averages. I already said that Toby was a third or fourth liner that Mac got a crush on.

Even with the injuries we had, there was absolutely no excuse for putting him on the 1PP. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Nada. I don’t recall who was injured and healthy at the time, but I do remember being unable to defend MacT (I haven’t always been a hater). There were quite the dogpiles on HF and Oilfans, and I had no ammo.

edit: and not just putting Toby on the 1PP, but keeping him there even when the boos started raining down. It was patently obvious at the time that Mac had lost his mind, or at least the team – or was told to tank. That 10-15 game stretch with Toby on the 1PP was what finally convinced me Mac was unfit to coach.

155. Mike Modano's Dog says: