“Hindsight is 20/20″. Truer words were never spoken (well, almost: the truest words ever were “never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly les known is this: Never go in against a Sicilin when death is on the line!”)
We’re getting “glimpses” of stories right now regarding the Oilers and they will play out over the summer. A few we know so far:
- Oscar Klefbom may come over for fall TC and that’s quite unusual. SEL teams start things earlier and want their men onside when things get close to the regular year. I think it is possible the Oilers have interest in using Klefbom in the NHL this season.
- Matias Strozyk from Elite Prospects says Linus Omark told Expressen he doesn’t see a future with the Oilers and hopes to be moved to another team. Would Krueger feel the same?
- We’re getting hints about the defensemen Edmonton is looking at, with the two most prominent names (Hjalmarsson and Mehot) being stay at homes. I expect the Oilers may have placed all of their puck moving eggs in one basket, and if Schultz doesn’t decide until July 5th or so that could impact the summer.
- Dustin Nielson just tweeted the Oilers may be looking to trade for an offensive defenseman out of the eastern conference. Franson?
- DamoSpin has an article up today on Schultz that contains things like “Anaheim couldn’t afford to sign him or at least didn’t believe he was worth that investment.” I haven’t read that anywhere and would question the statement based on Anaheim’s expressed disappointment with Schultz’ decision.
This Schultz things is just so interesting. Oilers sent Lowe and MacT, while Steve Tambellini hung back in order to call Ralph Krueger every name in the book. It’s an interesting item–and maybe Tambellini flew out after the PC–and I think it is a tell about where MacT slots in the hierarchy.
I have written one final item about the draft, will post it here or at ON tonight. Basically it is about the reaction to this year’s Oiler draft. I’ve read words like “disaster” and worse, seems to me “instant analysis” has become “universal wisdom” in about 5 days and that is kind of crazy.
I feel better about the Oilers summer than any time since the lockout. MacT isn’t God Almighty, but a reasonable voice in the room can make a helladifference.
I also think they’ll be more aggressive with MacT in the house. We wait.