JUSTIN SCHULTZ DECISION EXPECTED TODAY

Today we find out if Justin Schultz becomes an Oiler. Schultz would be a complete Godsend for an organization that needs help at his position. He’s not the entire answer, but would be a tremendous boost to the transition of the blue.

Here’s how I think this team “could” line up (I reference “Streit deal” a couple of times below. It might not be Streit, but a veteran top 4D of a certain calibre is implied).

1. Jeff Petry (age 24). Led all Oiler defenders in TOI per game in 11-12 (21:45) and one would think Petry could increase his minutes on the PP (1:16) and PK (2:29) next season.
  2. Ladislav Smid (age 26). Played 20:54 a night this past season, his special teams strength is the PK (3:22) and Smid is now a quality veteran. I don’t think Oiler fans have much worry over this player aside from health and his impending UFA status.
  3. Nick Schultz (age 29). Steady, reliable defender. He showed Oiler fans what calm feet can do during his late season showing after coming over from the Wild. 19:42 every night, and as with Smid he does strong PK work (2:25).
  4. Justin Schultz (age 22 in a week). He’s an ideal acquisition for the Oilers. Young enough to grow with the gifted forward cluster and has skills somewhat unique to the team. NHLE? 82, 15-25-40.
  5. Ryan Whitney (age 29): When healthy, Ryan Whitney is easily the best defenseman on the club. Boasting a complete skill set, Whitney’s signature play is a stunning headman pass tape-to-tape on the fly. It’s gorgeous, beautiful, sublime. His PK time (53 seconds) and PP time (2:15) were well back of normal for this player.
  6. Andy Sutton (age 37). Coming of a solid year in the 5-6 role, you’d like to see him cut back on the suspensions but he certainly gives the team a big body on defense and that has to be intimidating. I like him at this spot in the order aned would love one more veteran to really make this thing dance.
  7. Theo Peckham (age 24). I wonder if he’s dealt in the Streit deal, but Teddy Peckman delivers physical force and the Oilers are going to be adding not subtracting this season.
  8. Corey Potter (age 28). I think he’ll be the bubble guy, maybe the Oilers keep 8 guys or maybe Potter goes in the Streit deal. Either way he’s certainly not going to hurt anything if they keep him around and remember he had a really nice start before injury.
  9. Colten Teubert (age 22). If the club deals Peckham that’s probably very good news for this guy. Plante’s waiver worry will also play into his hands if Teubert gets the first callup as he did one year ago.
  10. Alex Plante (age 23). Oilers qualified him so he’s part of the group, my bet is that he’s down near the bottom of the NHL depth chart. However, that’s where Don Awrey was when expansion hit. You never know.
  11. Taylor Fedun (age 24). And here’s the wild card. Could be a sleeper for this roster.
  12. Martin Marincin (age 20). Young man showed well in a few OKC games at the end of the regular season, could get a cup of coffee in the NHL this season.
  13. Brandon Davidson (age 21). An extra year in junior may bode well for him as a rookie pro but I’d guess he’ll get some Stockton time too.
  14. Oscar Klefbom (age 19). We’re hearing some light rumblings about Klefbom attending fall TC and that could mean he wins a roster spot. Oilers should keep him in Farjestad for another year, doesn’t mean they will.

NATION RADIO

Team 1260 at noon, they also have audio streaming and the show is up at the Nations within 24 hours. Among the guests scheduled to appear:

• Tom Lynn from Veritas Hockey. Lynn’s background in the hockey business makes him an ideal guest on the eve of free agent frenzy.
  • Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey. Bruce has been at Oilers development camp and he’ll share his insight on that, as well as give us his thoughts on the Oilers summer so far.
  • Kent Wilson from the Nations. I’m looking forward to the conversation with Kent today, as Jay Feaster has made several moves in the last week. Kent’s a straight shooter, this should be fun.
  • Cam Charron, Leafs Nation managing editor. We’ll discuss Toronto’s moves at the draft, the Luongo, and what we can expect from the big Smoke this week.
  • Terry Jones from the Edmonton Sun. Jones had the Krueger story first and we’ll talk about that, Justin Schultz and the Oilers in free agency.

The best part of the show is your questions, so please pass them along via twitter (@lowetide_ and @ItsNationRadio), via email at nationradio@theteam1260.com or leaving your thoughts in the comments section.

The show will be fluid today, if the Schultz news breaks we may have some additional guests. Hope you can tune in.

242 Responses to "JUSTIN SCHULTZ DECISION EXPECTED TODAY"

« Older Comments
  1. bookje says:

Way to go MacT, I am glad you were around to keep Tambellini from fucking this up!

2. Henry says:

Lucinius:
    Interesting how the Oilers knew they had Schultz for about 10 minutes before they let it be known.

I don’t really see that happening even a year ago; you would of had someone naked on a rooftop shouting it out the second after the signature was on the paper.

My guess is that he asked the Oilers to embargo for a few minutes while he called Ottawa.

3. Gret99zky says:

Dan Mo‏@RealDanM

Another set of beauty assists by Paul Coffey and Wayne Gretzky on an Oilers goal.

4. Gerta Rauss says:

Jesus this is good news. And before July 1 to boot. 1 more NHL defenceman and we’re starting to look like an NHL team.

5. Professor Q says:

Can we get Gretzky to call EVERY FA from now on?

6. Smarmy says:

So LT on the new prospect list I’m guess a 1-2 of Nail and Justin?

7. BONVIE says:

Chris:
    I have to say the fact our second pairing is now Schultz and Schultz is going to be hilarious when listening to the play by play guys covering out team.

You know what they say sometimes “It takes a Schultz to get a Schultz.”

8. LoDog says:

speeds:
    Suter-Petry
    Smid-J.Schultz
    Whitney-N.Schultz
    Sutton-Peckham/Potter

I don’t know, maybe I’m just being optimistic, but that kind of, sort of, looks like it might be a pretty decent D?

Looks sweet to me.

Since we are being optomistic,5 yrs 35 million?

9. Mike Modano's Dog says:

godot10:
    Justin Trudeau will put on an Imperial Oil jersey before Justin Schultz ever puts on an Edmonton Oiler jersey.

What? If you could please post that photo by noon tomorrow that would be great.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On a side bar… considering the two teams in question were Van and Tor… doesn’t this mitigate any tampering charges…

I mean this was a clean and clear windfall, right?

11. WheresYourTowel says:

I am still a little shocked. I can’t believe this happened. Trying to keep expectations for actual free agency realistic.

Schultz wouldn’t come to EDM if the people around him thought he would play lots and get creamed every night. It’s not just Oilers fans who think something is about to happen.

12. Ducey says:

Pretty damn good month so far. MacT, Kreuger, Nail, Justin Schultz. Maybe Smyth on a 1 year.

At least two good shots at the Calder this year! I am so happy.

Training camp is going to be a joy to watch.

On top of it all, Calgary is confusing all its fans trying to lock up a bunch of run of the mill guys. Sweet.

13. bookje says:

I am begining to think that gotdot is Treena.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ducey,

Feaster is signing anyone who walks by his office in a hockey jersey.

15. cabbiesmacker says:

To quote a line from one of the greatest actors ever …next to Barney Rubble….

“I picked a bad day to quit smoking…drinking…doing heroin”

16. markasread1199 says:

Beer time.

Now we await Smytty.

17. cabbiesmacker says:

Reports coming in from the Feaster camp saying Jay is mighty displeased that a No Movement Clause and a chance to pair up with Dennis Wideman wasn’t enough to win Justin Schultz over.

Plan B now in full effect…talking Jason Strudwick out of retirement and offering 5 years at $4.7 plus a NTC

18. jake70 says:

Have the hockey gods finished having their way with us? lol. The 80s dynasty years paid for in full now, time to move forward? Pendulum now finally swinging the other way. Great news. Didn’t cost them a thing, that is what is so sweet.

19. DSF says:

Doug McLachlan:
    (D)amn (S)chultz (F)*cks over Vancouver!

That was exceptionally creative.

Great pick up for the Oilers…like getting two first overall picks in the same season.

You would have to think Lowe now has about 3 years to win a cup before the cap comes back to bite.

As for Vancouver, Gillis reportedly wouldn’t offer any ice time guarantees which IMO is the prudent thing to do.

Will be interesting to see how Gillis addresses his defense now.

Jason Garrison is likely not a bad consolation prize depending on the dollars.

Mike Modano’s Dog: What?If you could please post that photo by noon tomorrow that would be great.

It is called the power of negative thinking. Most people have to think postively, and I get that. Negative thinking doesn’t work for most people. However, for me, there are stiuations like this one where I find negative thinking extremely useful.

I am pretty sure that I have Asperger’s. When one has Asperger’s, preparing for things to go wrong works much better or tends to be a more successful strategy than preparing for things to go well.

It is why many of you see me as a contrarian. When most of you guys are negative, I am modestly positive. When most of you guys are positive or modestly hopeful, I am negative.

A person’s mind just works differently when they have Asperger’s.

21. BONVIE says:

Ducey,

No I read in a Calgary site that Sven Bartschi has the calder locked up this upcoming season.

22. Doug McLachlan says:

@tsnjamesduthie tweeting “Those who were in the room say Oilers new coach Ralph Krueger was incredibly impressive in his presentaton to Justin Schultz.”

We will have plenty of time to slag MacTambLowe in the months (hell, hours) to come but seriously sincere congratulations guys – you did an awesome job. Your fan base, even the cynical ones who hang here, are stoked with the success but even more so by the determined effort. Good job.

23. cabbiesmacker says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Reports coming in from the Feaster camp saying Jay is mighty displeased that a No Movement Clause and a chance to pair with Dennis Wideman wasn’t enough to win Justin Schultz over.

24. Henry says:

This is great for the Oilers, but it makes me feel a little bit worse for Tom Renney.

Question: Is Justin Schultz an RFA or a UFA when his entry level deal ends?

25. CrazyCoach says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Feaster is signing anyone who walks by his office in a hockey jersey.

I better get down there wearing my old Modo jersey.

This actual working for a living sucks and I’d love to be able to pay off my mortgage in one year.

Ducey:

At least two good shots at the Calder this year!I am so happy.

They will split the vote, and thus, neither will win.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A horrible shudder just came over me… because he can’t actually sign till tomorrow… is it possible some devious last minute pull out is going to happen.. or should I shut up and enjoy the ride?

28. DeadmanWaking says:

How applicants are stumbling on the final step to becoming Canadians
    Doh! Too many puzzlers about symbolic non-entities. Canada Day loophole: write in “Justin Schultz” beside every question, you’ll be handed a bucket of maple-flavoured perogies and a quick-dry passport as you exit the test facility by the red carpet.

Henry:

Question:Is Justin Schultz an RFA or a UFA when his entry level deal ends?

RFA., unless the rules change in the new CBA.

30. gd says:

I still have no clue whether ST is competent, but he might be the luckiest GM in sports. He wins three lotteries in a row and somehow he made having the worse D in hockey an asset that got us Justin.

Also, no matter how injury prone Hall’s career is, he deserves huge credit for his role in this and what I perceive to be a “we’re not going to accept losing anymore ” attitude.

As a Edmonton fan I am loving being relevant again, and I’m really loving the attacks from Van and TO.

31. Smarmy says:

godot10: They will split the vote, and thus, neither will win.

I see what you did there.

32. Henry says:

godot10: RFA., unless the rules change in the new CBA.

Merci sir!

33. jb says:

Victory!

Hmmm where’s DSF? I’d bet every last dollar he’d have shown if Vancouver won.

34. Jesse says:

As glorious of a day as this is, Schultz is only on a two year deal, which kind of gives the Oilers 2 years to really start looking like a contending team. Im honestly not trying to be negative in such a great day, but if the oilers still suck by the time Justin needs a new contract, he could walk and take all of this excitement about the future with him. That could be the beginning of the end of the rebuild.
    Honestly. Not trying to be a downer. My main point is that there has never been a more important time for Oiler management to get this train moving. So far this offseason, things are looking pretty favorable.

35. copperblueandwhite says:

Can’t type…way too excited, ..Gretz and Coffey, we owe you guys…haven’t been this optimistic in 2 decades..yabba dabba doooo!

36. Ryan says:

***IMPORTANT***

IS STEVE TAMBELLINI THIS GUY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_6560AW1zQ ???

LOL!!!

SHULTZ X 2 = TWO THUMBS UP

37. Mike Modano's Dog says:

godot10,

Hey, that’s alright Godot! From a guy who has ADHD and has experienced many misunderstandings I really do understand we all have different takes on things. If you were cheering for us to get him in your own way that’s just as good! Even if you weren’t that’s alright; there needs to be more than one team to play the game, but to me there will only be one hockey team (my beloved Oilers).

I’m just happy we’re able to get that prized free agent now. I didn’t like hearing other teams snickering who thought we would have no chance to ever land a player of any signifigance when they had other choices. The funny things is I heard a Vancouver reporter yesterday was laughing when Bob Stauffer said he thought the Oilers were one of the front runners for Schultz. And just now on L.T.’s show another media member interviewed (Toronto’s?) was saying he was baffled by his decision because he couldn’t see any reason to sign with us or Ottawa on his final list (~with no disrespect to Edmonton~). Wow…it really is interesting to hear the perception that was out there!

From a long time fan it is my pleasure to say
    Welcome back, Oilers…and thanks again Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey!

38. DeadmanWaking says:

I’ll say it again: Moroz looks a lot better after picking up JS with the last pick of the 8th round.

39. Ducey says:

Jesse,

Schultz signed an entry level deal. After two years he becomes an RFA for 3 years. He can’t “walk”for 5 years.

jb:
    Victory!

Hmmm where’s DSF? I’d bet every last dollar he’d have shown if Vancouver won.

Look up at 2:38. To his credit he showed.

40. Marc says:

Ducey:

Schultz signed an entry level deal.After two years he becomes an RFA for 3 years.He can’t “walk”for 5 years.

It’s actually 4 RFA years. If he had been born a week earlier it would have been 3, but because his birthday is in early July, he won’t be eligible for UFA until a week before his 28th birthday.

41. Bos8 says:

A third bottle of Honey Dew, just for this.

42. jb says:

Ducey:
    Jesse,

Look up at 2:38. To his credit he showed.

Clearly an imposter.. The real one would add some sort of negative spin.
    Who cares though.

Edmonton has trumped the sunny beaches of California, and both the left and right center of the universe, today is a great day.

« Older Comments