JUSTIN SCHULTZ DECISION EXPECTED TODAY

Today we find out if Justin Schultz becomes an Oiler. Schultz would be a complete Godsend for an organization that needs help at his position. He’s not the entire answer, but would be a tremendous boost to the transition of the blue.

Here’s how I think this team “could” line up (I reference “Streit deal” a couple of times below. It might not be Streit, but a veteran top 4D of a certain calibre is implied).

1. Jeff Petry (age 24). Led all Oiler defenders in TOI per game in 11-12 (21:45) and one would think Petry could increase his minutes on the PP (1:16) and PK (2:29) next season.
  2. Ladislav Smid (age 26). Played 20:54 a night this past season, his special teams strength is the PK (3:22) and Smid is now a quality veteran. I don’t think Oiler fans have much worry over this player aside from health and his impending UFA status.
  3. Nick Schultz (age 29). Steady, reliable defender. He showed Oiler fans what calm feet can do during his late season showing after coming over from the Wild. 19:42 every night, and as with Smid he does strong PK work (2:25).
  4. Justin Schultz (age 22 in a week). He’s an ideal acquisition for the Oilers. Young enough to grow with the gifted forward cluster and has skills somewhat unique to the team. NHLE? 82, 15-25-40.
  5. Ryan Whitney (age 29): When healthy, Ryan Whitney is easily the best defenseman on the club. Boasting a complete skill set, Whitney’s signature play is a stunning headman pass tape-to-tape on the fly. It’s gorgeous, beautiful, sublime. His PK time (53 seconds) and PP time (2:15) were well back of normal for this player.
  6. Andy Sutton (age 37). Coming of a solid year in the 5-6 role, you’d like to see him cut back on the suspensions but he certainly gives the team a big body on defense and that has to be intimidating. I like him at this spot in the order aned would love one more veteran to really make this thing dance.
  7. Theo Peckham (age 24). I wonder if he’s dealt in the Streit deal, but Teddy Peckman delivers physical force and the Oilers are going to be adding not subtracting this season.
  8. Corey Potter (age 28). I think he’ll be the bubble guy, maybe the Oilers keep 8 guys or maybe Potter goes in the Streit deal. Either way he’s certainly not going to hurt anything if they keep him around and remember he had a really nice start before injury.
  9. Colten Teubert (age 22). If the club deals Peckham that’s probably very good news for this guy. Plante’s waiver worry will also play into his hands if Teubert gets the first callup as he did one year ago.
  10. Alex Plante (age 23). Oilers qualified him so he’s part of the group, my bet is that he’s down near the bottom of the NHL depth chart. However, that’s where Don Awrey was when expansion hit. You never know.
  11. Taylor Fedun (age 24). And here’s the wild card. Could be a sleeper for this roster.
  12. Martin Marincin (age 20). Young man showed well in a few OKC games at the end of the regular season, could get a cup of coffee in the NHL this season.
  13. Brandon Davidson (age 21). An extra year in junior may bode well for him as a rookie pro but I’d guess he’ll get some Stockton time too.
  14. Oscar Klefbom (age 19). We’re hearing some light rumblings about Klefbom attending fall TC and that could mean he wins a roster spot. Oilers should keep him in Farjestad for another year, doesn’t mean they will.

NATION RADIO

Team 1260 at noon, they also have audio streaming and the show is up at the Nations within 24 hours. Among the guests scheduled to appear:

• Tom Lynn from Veritas Hockey. Lynn’s background in the hockey business makes him an ideal guest on the eve of free agent frenzy.
  • Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey. Bruce has been at Oilers development camp and he’ll share his insight on that, as well as give us his thoughts on the Oilers summer so far.
  • Kent Wilson from the Nations. I’m looking forward to the conversation with Kent today, as Jay Feaster has made several moves in the last week. Kent’s a straight shooter, this should be fun.
  • Cam Charron, Leafs Nation managing editor. We’ll discuss Toronto’s moves at the draft, the Luongo, and what we can expect from the big Smoke this week.
  • Terry Jones from the Edmonton Sun. Jones had the Krueger story first and we’ll talk about that, Justin Schultz and the Oilers in free agency.

The best part of the show is your questions, so please pass them along via twitter (@lowetide_ and @ItsNationRadio), via email at nationradio@theteam1260.com or leaving your thoughts in the comments section.

The show will be fluid today, if the Schultz news breaks we may have some additional guests. Hope you can tune in.

242 Responses to "JUSTIN SCHULTZ DECISION EXPECTED TODAY"

Newer Comments »
  1. Nail and Nuge says:

It irks me how much I want him to sign in Edmonton and how my gut tells me that it is an unlikely situation.

I am trying to stay away (unsuccessfully) from the media prior to the announcement.

Nail and Schultz would be a landslide acquisition for Tambo over this summer- even if he were to not make any other moves.

2. franksterra says:

Wow. That spotty-faced little kid is the 3rd most sought after player not under contract in the world’s best ice hockey league. Puts things in perspective (of something, not sure what)

3. dohfOs says:

“Oilers should keep him in Farjestad for another year, doesn’t mean they will”.
    ..which is probably so very true. Then again, had the Oilers picked Murray at #1 the management would have played him in the NHL come this fall, funny things is.. Klefbom is just 2 months older than Murray and I’d argue Klefbom is the better and more mature (slash NHL-ready) player of the two. Speaking of Klefbom there’s little to no chance he will be making the jump to the Oilers this year, mainly because he wants another year with Färjestad and he’s already told ‘em he’s staying. Sure, you could argue it’s hard to say no if the chance to start with the Oilers is there, but I’m guessing all his talk about possibly making the jump as soon as this season is more flirtation with the Oilers fans.

Either way.. let’s fast-forward say 6 hours and see where we end up.

Also, Alan, could you perhaps add another sidebar-widget to your “posts”-page? That links.. say the 10isg latest posts of yours? Pretty please :)

I’ll ask Danny, honestly I have no clue how to do anything on this thing. Last time I did something the tweets ended up stage right!

5. jonrmcleod says:

This just in… Justin signing with the Oilers might not be just (ask the Ducks), but it would be a great unexpected blessing for the Oilers and fans. Add Schultz to Petry, Smid, and all the D prospects, and the Oilers’ future is looking very good.

6. commonfan14 says:

I think this will be a very depressing thread in a couple of hours.

I suppose the worst-case scenario is that the Oilers were tampering (and get nailed for it) and he chooses Vancouver anyway.

The Schultz show is all carefully staged theatre. It has been the Canucks all along and will be the Canucks.

The theatre was necessary for the Canucks to try to avoid tampering charges. i.e. he wants to be with the boys on the bus V2.0 in Edmonton. he wants to play with his college buddies in Toronto or New York. he wants to play in Canada, so lets toss Ottawa into the mix.

Don Meehan was whispering Edmonton into the Toronto’s media all year to throw the scent/stink off of Vancouver tampering.

I will be stunned if Schultz actually chooses Edmonton later today.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod,

What’s “justice” got to do with it… I’d happily shiv a guy to get this kid on board.

Rom: Amen, brother.

10. Captain Obvious says:

godot10,

I’ll be stunned as well. But mostly because no team can be so lucky as to have Yakupov and Schultz fall into their lap in one year.

franksterra,

The perspective is how valuable entry level contracts are. Teams don’t acquire players, they acquire contracts and there is almost nothing more valuable than even an average player on an entry level contract. Schultz can be only OK and still provide great value.

The Oilers weren’t smart enough to know whether Brule was eligible for waivers or not. Do you think they would actually know enough about US college player loopholes in the CBA.

This is Mike Gillis’s doing.

12. jonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I failed at trying to be clever. “Justin” means “just” or “fair.”

13. Matt.N says:

Count down till we all say “fuck him, he was over rated anyway”

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hey LT… why not add Gernat or Musil and make a clean 15?

Both stay in junior in 12-13.

The Newport Group staged this little fake theatre last year for Brad Richards also. It is their thing. They want TSN hanging around outside their offices in late June and early July as free advertising to young hockey players across the country.

17. Cactus says:

I’m okay if Schultz somehow ends up out east, but if chooses Vancouver, I expect to hear some epic vitriol on the radio today. Channel your inner demagogue and let’s see LT when he’s got an axe to grind!

On a calmer, more sober note, could you ask Bruce about the defencemen at camp? Particularly Marincin and Klefom? The few video clips of Klefbom make him seem very smooth on his skates and I’d love to know if that holds up.

Justin Trudeau will put on an Imperial Oil jersey before Justin Schultz ever puts on an Edmonton Oiler jersey.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod,

Haha… I got it, just trying to add some more humor…

Another unjust Justin, Justinian 1:

“In the next two days, he ordered the brutal suppression of the riots by his generals Belisarius and Mundus. Procopius relates that 30,000[30] unarmed civilians were killed in the Hippodrome. On Theodora’s insistence, and apparently against his own judgment,[31] Justinian had Anastasius’ nephews executed.[32]
    The destruction that had taken place during the revolt provided Justinian with an opportunity to tie his name to a series of splendid new buildings, most notably the architectural innovation of the domed Hagia Sophia.”

See… you can accomplish great things through brutality! Herod would tell you the same thing.

20. markasread1199 says:

Captain Obvious:
    godot10,

I’ll be stunned as well.But mostly because no team can be so lucky as to have Yakupov and Schultz fall into their lap in one year.

franksterra,

Reminds me of Summer 2005 when I was absolutely stunned that Peca and the Human Rake signed here.

I’m trying not to be excited and tell myself it’s all hype and Schultz is just going to end up with the Canucks but I just can’t help it. Big win for Oil if he chooses Edmonton.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

got it… pro list…

cause I like number sets I’m going to add Chorney to my personal list to get to 15.

22. franksterra says:

It’ s possible it’s all Newport’s staging a show. Whatever happens, the media will be full of ‘behind the scenes, here’s how it all went down, stories for the next two weeks.

23. bookje says:

I think that NHLers tend to place career and other factors ahead of playing for the team they grew up cheering for.

24. Archie says:

Musil will make the jump to the AHL, Gernat will get another year with the OilKings. If you listen to Rich Winter, he’ll tell you Musil was ready for the NHL last year

I have a problem with this whole Schultz fiasco, I’m a believer in that you have to earn your way and to give him a top 4 spot without earning it, I don’t know. If I was Petry or Whitney I would be questioning management. The only nice thing about it, is that if he turns out to be a bust it will only cost the team the money.

25. BlacqueJacque says:

“Wayne Gretzky confirms he called Justin Schultz as part of the Oilers push to sign the young d-man.Paul Coffey also part of the Edmtn pitch.”

I take back anything I ever said about his daughter, except that I’d have to double wrap it. I’m holding to that one.

26. Matt.N says:

BlacqueJacque:

I take back anything I ever said about his daughter, except that I’d have to double wrap it.I’m holding to that one.

It probably would have been a better idea to have Paulina call him.

27. jonrmcleod says:

Someone in my timeline retweeted Andy Strickland (not really familiar with him) saying that the Oilers and Sens are the two final teams for Schultz.

28. gogliano says:

bookje:

gogliano: Then why do almost all NHLers flock to their boyhood teams when they hit their UFA years?

I know! Toronto gets everyone and wins the Stanley every damn time! Not fair!

30. PunjabiOil says:

This is a credible reporter:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Word is ‪#Oilers‬ and ‪#Sens‬ are final two teams for Justin Schultz

31. franksterra says:

Is Strickland not a blogger on the Ek site?

32. franksterra says:

Ok, when do we think an announcement will be made? It’s 3:40 pm in Glasgow and I need to get something done around here…

33. BlacqueJacque says:

PunjabiOil,

If Schultz wants ice time, I can’t imagine he’s considering Ottawa. They have a solid d-corps. We have three NHL defencemen and a dozen prospects.

How many people post here from Europe and other big thingy’s on the map? Has the be at least a dozen.

35. franksterra says:

saw a post on another blog claiming the Rangers are preparing a pitch for today. Ultra-deep D, east coast, Torts, hmmmm….

36. PunjabiOil says:

franksterra: s Strickland not a blogger on the Ek site?

Not sure, but he is credible with a proven track record.

Radio Host 590 The Fan St. Louis/NHL writer. Founder of http://www.truehockey.com

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

franksterra:
    Ok, when do we think an announcement will be made?It’s 3:40 pm in Glasgow and I need to get something done around here…

Rishaug says “early afternoon ET today”

BlacqueJacque:
    PunjabiOil,

If Schultz wants ice time, I can’t imagine he’s considering Ottawa.They have a solid d-corps.We have three NHL defencemen and a dozen prospects.

you probably already saw this, but Staples has a good run down on what each team offers and their chances:

38. rich says:

LT: A question for Terry Jones if you don’t mind. I was very surprised to read his column after the hiring of Krueger this week where he called out Tambellini, “80 days/80 nights’…”Dithers”. Wondering if this is an isolated incident or if he’s sensing a greater amount of impatience overall to see Tambellini take some decisive actions to improve this team now or he’s gone. In other words, how much rope does the GM still have?

39. jonrmcleod says:

I knew of a guy named Justin Case. I wonder if there are any of these guys in the NHL that the Oilers will acquire if Schultz doesn’t sign with them. (Another bad attempt at humor.)

40. PunjabiOil says:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

A 3rd team also makes final cut for Justin Schultz… told he still hasnt made decision. one is expected mid afternoon as already reported

41. jonrmcleod says:

Now Strickland says a 3rd team has made the final cut.

42. franksterra says:

jonrmcleod,

Rags? If it goes that way we need to talk trade, del zotto, M. Staal, etc., ten minutes later…..

43. Ryan says:

godot10,

godot10:
    The Oilers weren’t smart enough to know whether Brule was eligible for waivers or not.Do you think they would actually know enough about US college player loopholes in the CBA.

Where’s Steve Smith when you need him?

I think Godot has a basis for a successful tampering charge defense should that scenario ensue.

The Oilers can’t count to five or work within the confines of the current cba let alone find loopholes in it.

This is Mike Gillis’s doing.

44. jonrmcleod says:

Big announcement: The Oilers signed… David Musil.

45. Ryan says:

godot10,

godot10:

Where’s Steve Smith when you need him?

46. franksterra says:

jonrmcleod,

I need to get away from this thread for a while, go for a walk, peel potatoes, anything. You just about stopped my heart.

47. jonrmcleod says:

franksterra,

Sorry. Someone did the same thing to me on Twitter.

48. Professor Q says:

I think it’s hilarious that Bobby Ryan is all perturbed at Justin Schultz’s behaviour – he’s one to talk.

49. danny says:

jonrmcleod:
    Now Strickland says a 3rd team has made the final cut.

Now it’s impossible for him to be wrong.

50. Ryan says:

Question for the show. Any updates on Whitney’s ankles / feet/ toes / heels / Achilles tendons / plantar fascia/ ligaments/ or /toe nails?

It’s easy to forget how good he played pre ice rut at Rexall.

It sounds unrealistic to hope for a healthy Whitney. How about a Whitney that’s mid way between healthy and last season? Whitney with 1.5 ankles should be more useful than he was last season wplauing width just the one.

51. "Steve Smith" says:

Ryan:
    godot10,

Where’s Steve Smith when you need him?

No idea – the situation’s never come up.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Professor Q,

what did he say? can’t find anything.

jonrmcleod,

Well… maybe we can walk and chew gum at the same time. I know it’s a minor deal (Musil) but I wouldn’t have thought this group able to sign him while sitting on the Schultz bed of nails.

53. Marc says:

I’m Jasper born but currently London (England) based.

There’sdefintely a few of us international types on here. There’s definitely a pint or three on offer for you in London should you ever make it over here.

54. Professor Q says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Bobby Ryan ‏@b_ryan9
    What time is “the decision” Justin Schultz edition on tomorrow? Want to make sure I tune in.

Maybe I’m reading too much into that though, if it really is the real Bobby Ryan that is.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan:
    Question for the show.Any updates on Whitney’s ankles / feet/ toes / heels / Achilles tendons / plantar fascia/ ligaments/ or /toe nails?

It’s easy to forget how good he played pre ice rut at Rexall.

It sounds unrealistic to hope for a healthy Whitney.How about a Whitney that’s mid way between healthy and last season?Whitney with 1.5 ankles should be more useful than he was last season wplauing width just the one.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Professor Q,

thanks,

yea… there could be some animus there… or maybe he’s targeting the media’s extended hype session (or both)

57. PunjabiOil says:

Bottom line is the Oilers need Schultz – for now, and the future. The UFA market is drying down, and the trade market will be difficult.

58. Jesse says:

FWIW some guy named David Pagnotta tweeted last night that the Oilers and Sens were the two teams he was choosing between also. Have no idea how credible he is though.

59. DBO says:

Colby Armstrong being bought out by Leafs. Would be an interesting option as a 3rd line two way winger to add once we resign Smyth and then we have actual NHL players.

60. Cactus says:

Professor Q:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Bobby Ryan ‏@b_ryan9

I’d cut Ryan some slack. For a guy who is basically guaranteed 30 goals every year and signed to a reasonable deal, his name seems to come up every year in trade discussions. He’s fed up with Anaheim and probably just jealous that Schultz can do what he can’t.

61. Ducey says:

Staples has an article in the Journal today (the paper, I can’t find it on the interweb) suggesting that Schultz compares most closely with Matt Carle and that he will be good, not great.

I’ll take a “good” defenseman without giving up anything all day long.

I’m impressed they appear to have pulled out all the stops (full brass, Hall, Gretzky, Coffey) to land Schultz.

62. Ryan says:

Here’s throwing something out there….

Oli jokinen…

2nd toughest qoc in league last season. 4rth toughest Corsi qoc. 1.8 5v5 per 60.

Flames don’t want him. 6’2 210.

Not an elite player. 33.

Could be a useful player for a stop gap at a reasonable price especially if the Oilers trade Gagner.

Thoughts?

63. SoxandOil says:

Colby would be a excellent project, I imagine there will be about 20 teams interested though. Toronto is clearing cap wonder if for Bobby Lou and Nash or Ryan. I tend to think Ryan considering Burkes affinity to ex-players.

Bohologo: Usually in Russia, but in Spain for now. No hockey talk whatsoever, so I guess I’ll head back down to the beach where the women are topless and the drinks are cold. When is training camp?

Well, this post wins. Topless women. Sweet Jesus I’d be dead by Saturday.

65. PunjabiOil says:

Yup, I’ve long advocated signing Jokinen. He’d be a perfect fit on the 2nd line behind RNH.

Sign him 2 years (front loaded) at 6M/year.

Move Gagner for defence.

Win-win.

66. Thinker says:

LT,
    Are the bruins really on the line for tim thomas’ contract. Can’t they just void it because of his not reporting to training camp. This was talked about a while ago with khabibulin (http://oilersnation.com/2010/8/8/sticks-stones-and-due-process-bowers-and-khabibulin).

Thinker:
    LT,

Nope. Stupid, stupid rule.

68. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Re: Whitney… so if he returns to only 75-85% say… do we offer him another contract after this year? or are we in the looking for a permanent replacement mode already?

Sorry for my typing. I can’t type very well on an iPad. That and the auto correct thing.

I think we’re in permanent replacement mode already. Most likely he’ll never be the player he used to be. In the unlikely event he does regain that form this season, you still can’t trust him at all (from the ankles down).

That being said, if he plays at 75-85% while not missing games due to ankle issues, I’d offer him a 2 yr contract at a reasonable rate no problem.

With the ankle situation, you just can’t count on him to be a top 2 dman going forward. IMO.

69. Traktor says:

Sign with Edmonton please.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bohologo,

Of course.. my memory of Spanish beaches includes a series of elderly men who seem to have dedicated the twilight of their life to strolling up and down the beach in a thong all day, every day.

win some, lose some, i guess.

71. Bar_Qu says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Bohologo,

win some, lose some, i guess.

FTW

LT, Danny could give you the stats on where your legion of followers all hail from. It would likely be interesting to see where some if those hits are coming from (should be a map viewing option).

I have the stats on that now that I think of it. I’ll post in the next few days.

73. Mr DeBakey says:

If you listen to Rich Winter, you could end up a remarkably ordinary Russian goalie under contract from now til doomsday.

74. wordbird says:

Traktor:
    Sign with Edmonton please.

They should put that on a sign and set it up on the outskirts of the city.

I don’t think Musil turns pro. Why would they ADD another rookie D to the flock already arriving?

76. bones says:

Newcastle, England :)

77. jonrmcleod says:

LT: Any interest in moderating a radio debate between Staples and Dellow? Episode 1: The Best Advanced Stat. Episode 2: The Edmonton Arena. (I probably wouldn’t tune in, but at least they wouldn’t be filling up my Twitter timeline.)

I don’t think 200 hours of radio will solve that discussion. Honestly.

79. Smarmy says:

Well it looks like Edmonton pulled all the stops to woo Schultz who is in a weird situation. Godot’s theory that this is all a dog and pony show could very likely be the case, so I don’t think Edmonton should be made to look bad if they come up short.

80. franksterra says:

Glasgow (Old one)

81. Ducey says:

Mr DeBakey:

I thought Luongo’s heritage was Italian….or maybe you are talking about Dipietro?

Ah, Bryzgalov.

Stupid GM’s.

Sami Salo still not re-signed. Gragnani not qualified. Vancouver very public about not promising Schultz anything. Alt tells that Gillis believes he has a sure thing.

83. Lucinius says:

I dearly hope he doesn’t sign with the Canucks.

Hoping he signs here, but not expecting it.. too much of an Oiler fan to believe that.

84. Cactus says:

godot10:
    Sami Salo still not re-signed.Gragnani not qualified.Vancouver very public about not promising Schultz anything.Alt tells that Gillis believes he has a sure thing.

I still think Schultz could end up in Vancouver if he decides with his heart and not his head, but this isn’t any evidence. Gragnani wasn’t very good last year and Vancouver is supposed to contend – they don’t have time to waste on him. As for Salo, that doesn’t mean anything either. Smyth isn’t signed yet but that doesn’t mean the Oilers are certain they’re certain to get Parise or Doan.

85. Gret99zky says:

Guy Flaming‏@TPS_Guy

From @DarenMillard re Schultz: I’d put my money on Edmonton right now.

I like our chances.

86. Gret99zky says:

Mark Spector Sports‏@SportsnetSpec

Expect Ryan Smyth and the Edmonton #Oilers to conclude negotiations today. They’re trying to wrap up a deal prior to July 1.

this would be a positive sign.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gret99zky,

stop getting my hopes all in a freak out…

leaning towards Schultz… possible Smyth signing…. yes please.

88. BrazilianOil says:

Not posting but reading everyday from Brazil

89. bookje says:

Posts from media saying things like “I am hearing…leaning towards”, “I would bet”, “if I had to guess”, “the word is”, etc mean nothing. Basically they have the same info we do.

Posts like “a source connected to the Schultz camp has told
    Me…”, “a member of management with the team x has told me team x is out of the running”, etc, is more relevant.

90. franksterra says:

I think some of us need some self-esteem therapy.

“Schultz and Smyth? someone must have dropped them, we have to give them back…”

91. Professor Q says:

Smyth, Schultz, Jagr? Trade Hemsky + for defense/goalie help?

92. gogliano says:

Getting a Smytty signing today would be great. Hope its a one year deal but I think he has enough gas in the tank for two. Good to hear they are trying to get something down, he still brings a lot to the LW depth chart.

93. Archie says:

Mr DeBakey:

Or end up drinking Vodka for the rest of your life.

94. DeadmanWaking says:

I’m really looking forward to the first post I read after our first cup of the next era expressing that we didn’t really deserve it, because Schultz fell into our laps.

There’s a lot of dumb luck stories in movies where the director’s first choice for a cast position fell to an unknown who knocked it out of the park as an unknown en route to a permanent position in the celebrated pantheon of failed marriages.

I should be able to think of some good ones, but all I can come up with this morning is Thelma and Louise. Not sure if Harrison Ford qualifies, winning a career-making role from an audition where we was paid to assist.

Anyway, here’s a cold one to dumb luck.

95. Ryan says:

LT, every time I listen to your radio show, it strikes me what a debt of gratitude you owe your wife. Imagine if the intro was, “Alan Mitchell aka Horcoff and Die.”. Lol. :)

96. gogliano says:

NYR out as per Bobby Mac.

ETA: Tor too.

97. Cactus says:

And now, no Toronto either… Vancouver, Edmonton or Ottawa?

98. Jesse says:

Slightly OT, but to me, the only player it makes sense to trade for D help is PRV. Oilers can’t spare gagner with their poor depth at C, and Hemsky’s trade value isn’t likely to be better than it was at the trade deadline — which, was so low that ST had to turn his agenda on its head and sign him. If the Oilers are lucky enough to land Schultz, trade for Streit, or do something similar to those moves, then their greatest need is no longer D, it’s in their bottom six. Addressing their bottom 6 by trading Hemsky at the deadline might be a good decision. Hemsky is obviously too skilled for a bottom six role but probably not too far away from being compeletely behind Yakupov and Eberle. Depending on how well he plays from OCT to FEB he could have decent value that could fill out the forward half of the roster.

99. Oiler_Kiwi says:

Blantyre, Scotland here.

100. franksterra says:

DeadmanWaking,

Do you mean B.Pitt, Mississippi journalism student?

101. franksterra says:

Oiler_Kiwi,

Ah-rite, pal?

102. franksterra says:

Jesse,

I’d be happiest avoiding any trades just yet and getting a couple FAs, one shorter and one longer term.

103. gogliano says:

If they snag Schultz and sign Smyth I also hope they keep it tame and avoid big (i.e., Brian Cambellesque) contracts. If I could choose one addition on to of the two hopefuls for today it’d be the one least likely to happen: a 1A/1B goalie to pair with DD.

104. Gret99zky says:

Garrison at 5 years $30M too much for you?

105. franksterra says:

gogliano,

I’d still be pulling for another Dman. But I’m not sure if we should go for ‘pure’ stay at home (e.g. B.Allen) for a cheaper contract and 3 pairs of PMD and stay at homes, or pursue a quality ‘all rounder’ (e.g. Carle, Garrison) for further Whitney insurance.

Would like to see us prod at the Peg for Enstrom too. And the Rags. Leave no turn unstoned.

106. Gret99zky says:

Shane Doan. Ollie Jokinen. Would be nice additions if the cost was reasonable.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I guess… the tampering some speculated re: Toronto is out of play now… the Schenn deal had nothing to do with it apparently.

108. JorgeR04 says:

Its 3pm in Toronto where the hell is this announcement?

Sincerely,

Refreshing the page every 30 seconds.

109. Gret99zky says:

james duthie‏@tsnjamesduthie

Justin Schultz is calling the teams who were on his shortlist one by one. The team he has chosen will get the last call.

*fingers crossed*

110. Lucinius says:

At the rate he seems to be calling teams he must be talking to Tambi already… only way to explain this degree of dithering.

111. Gret99zky says:

Mark Spector Sports‏@SportsnetSpec

Reports now Oilers and Senators are final two teams.

It`s us. Has to be. You don`t turn down Gretzky.

112. Cactus says:

Vancouver out on Schultz!!!

113. Backhand says:

Tons of info out now that its Ott – Edm…at least not Van!

114. Lucinius says:

Vancouver is out according to Bobby Mac. Awesome.

115. Gret99zky says:

Suck it Gillis, you`re out.

116. delooper says:

I’m in Santa Barbara California for a month. I started posting to this blog when I lived in Germany. … but I’ll be moving back to Kanadia soon.

117. Cactus says:

Don’t get too excited yet. Sens owner Eugene Melnyk got rich from bio-tech. There could always be drugs involved here.

118. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cactus,

If we don’t get him it is almost as important that he doesn’t go to VAN…

it’s almost as good as Boston 2 years ago, or LAK this year

119. bookje says:

Oooh, this is exciting!!

120. Cactus says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Cactus,

If we don’t get him it is almost as important that he doesn’t go to VAN…

it’s almost as good as Boston 2 years ago, or LAK this year

Agreed. That’s a big relief. I swear I can hear D.S.F. crying somewhere.

121. Gret99zky says:

Cactus:
    Don’t get too excited yet.Sens owner Eugene Melnyk got rich from bio-tech.There could always be drugs involved here.

I`d put our drug lord up against Ottawa`s any day. Melnyk doesn`t even have a Batjet.

122. bookje says:

Tambellini – remember if your phone rings before Ottawa’s – “Vandelay Industries”.

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje,

haha!!!

that’s wins the day.

124. bookje says:

Bobmac tweeted Seven teams — EDM, OTT, VAN, MIN, TOR, NYR and ??? — met with Schultz. TOR and NYR know they are out.

There is no way he goes to ???, too many question marks on that team right now.

125. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Duthie comes to Schultz’ defence:

“Too many negative tweets on Schultz. He has handled this like any highly sought after UFA would. We (Twitter,media) created the drama.”

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje,

I don’t know… we’ve got more than 3 ?s… a team with only 3 might be attractive.

127. soup says:

Reader everyday, but haven’t posted in a couple of years (since Bigos draft). No major reason other than numbers scare me (yes you Woodguy) and DMW makes me wish I stayed in school longer…

Up until last week from Abu Dhabi. Starting this week and for the foreseeable future from Pau, France. I love this blog and have learned much from it. Thanks to LT and all your regulars.

128. Gret99zky says:

Vancouver fans spitting venom and vitriol in all directions toward Schultz.

Ha-ha.

He doesn’t like you either.

129. Cactus says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Duthie comes to Schultz’ defence:

This is exactly right. You can possibly criticize him for leaving Anaheim, but that’s mostly the NHL CBA’s fault. It’s not his fault for using his ability to consider all his options. Again, it’s the NHL’s fault that other UFAs can’t do the same right now.

130. Professor Q says:

If Schultz does sign, how does that affect our contracts? With Musil and Klefbom recently being signed as well.

131. Gret99zky says:

Chris Timleck™‏@SourSquirt

imagine Brian Murray saying Justin Schultz

Stay classy Edmonton.

132. Cactus says:

Professor Q:

Assuming they resign all the RFAs they qualify, sign Smyth or replacement and sign Danis or replacement, they’d be at 44 contracts BEFORE Schultz.

Edit: Sorry, looks like 45. Didn’t have Musil.

133. gogliano says:

bookje:

There is no way he goes to ???, too many question marks on that team right now.

Fantastic stuff.

134. LoDog says:

Bookje is on today.

It will be great if he decides to come to the Oilers but I sure hope the fans don’t want to burn the crib of his future child if he goes somewhere else.

No matter where he goes he has done nothing wrong imo.

135. bookje says:

Some people have done the “I don’t see what the big deal is” thing about Schultz. Basically, its like getting a lottery pick in the draft without having to see your team suck really bad for a year first.

136. Gret99zky says:

Schultz is waiting for the last segment of Lowetide’s radio show to announce the news.

I like this kid already. Likes to inject a little “squeeee”.

137. Rondo says:

bookje,

More like finding a lost wallet.

More like Jonah Hill landing Emma Stone as a girlfriend in Superbad.

139. Cactus says:

godot10,

So Godot, why did Schultz (apparently) reject Vancouver? You, the Vancouver media and even Stauffer gave them the clear edge.

140. jonrmcleod says:

Principe fairly certain Schultz to Oilers.

141. Jesse says:

Principe thinks oilers got him.

142. Lucinius says:

Surprised it took this long for Minnesota (apparently) to fall out of the race. Still don’t see how Ottawa works outside of them being another young team (albeit one that’s seen more success) that’s enticing to Schultz.

Mystery team probably gets him.

You can never trust mystery meat.

143. Gret99zky says:

Gene Principe‏@GenePrincipe

I’m sure you won’t let me forget it if I’m wrong..and I’ve been wrong before but I believe the Oilers have won Justin Schultz sweepstakes..

Gene the Genie?

144. matmik says:

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe

Retweet
    Favorite

145. Lucinius says:

I was going to make a crack about Principe getting his Schultz’ confused, but he did use the first name…

146. Gret99zky says:

Edmonton Oilers‏@NHL_Oilers

The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with Justin Schultz. More details to come.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

147. Cactus says:

Oilers just confirmed it!

148. Wolfie says:

Whooooo!

149. Lucinius says:

We got him apparently!

150. Jesse says:

THEY GOT HIM!!!!

151. Gret99zky says:

Suck it Van, Tor, and all the rest!!!!

152. Doug McLachlan says:

!!!

Joy!!!

153. wordbird says:

SWOON!!

Cactus:
    godot10,

So Godot, why did Schultz (apparently) reject Vancouver?You, the Vancouver media and even Stauffer gave them the clear edge.

I am unlike most people. I like focussing on worst case scenarios.

155. Wolfie says:

How F’n huge is this!

156. bookje says:

Players WANT to play in Edmonton. Good job Latz and co.

157. tdslvr says:

Squeeee good sirs. Swoon also.

158. rich says:

Yeah baby!

159. saddleblazer says:

I am having a beer and then I am having another one!

160. jonrmcleod says:

Wow! Was Gene the first to break the news???

161. Kris11 says:

Goal! wooohoo!

Schultz signs!

162. Doug McLachlan says:

(D)amn (S)chultz (F)*cks over Vancouver!

163. Kris11 says:

Suck on that DSF you Van Fan

164. commonfan14 says:

Ah, who cares – he’s overrated anyway.

Wait, what?

165. JorgeR04 says:

This seems like a big moment – can we be a successful NHL team?

166. Gret99zky says:

It’s not over, it’s just the beginning.

167. speeds says:

Load up the jet and pitch Suter?

168. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Doug McLachlan,

This!!!

169. Kris11 says:

Yeeeesss!!

Yakupov and Schultz!

170. LoDog says:

In honour of LT and this great news I am cracking a beer.

RK hypnotized the kid, didn’t stand a chance. :)

171. Jon K says:

Booyah. Nice month for the Oil.

172. Chris says:

I have to say the fact our second pairing is now Schultz and Schultz is going to be hilarious when listening to the play by play guys covering out team.

173. commonfan14 says:

Thank God we had Joan sleep with him.

174. gogliano says:

Where is our new post LT? Hope you didn’t go into cardiac arrest.

New day in Oilerville.

175. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It’s going to be a great day… it’s like when van never made the playoffs in the late 90s all over again

176. Traktor says:

What a great feeling.

177. Lucinius says:

Interesting how the Oilers knew they had Schultz for about 10 minutes before they let it be known.

I don’t really see that happening even a year ago; you would of had someone naked on a rooftop shouting it out the second after the signature was on the paper.

178. Lewko says:

BOOM!

179. GordM says:

He’s gonna be a flop…what a joke. Oh wait…that was what I had in mind if he chose another team.

All Hail Justin Schultz!!!

180. JorgeR04 says:

Traktor,

Doesn’t it kind of sting that he picked the Oil because they had the worst defense though? Best opportunity to play?

181. Smarmy says:

Oh man some of the boards I read are sooo mad. I’m soooo happy.

182. Gret99zky says:

gogliano:
    Where is our new post LT?Hope you didn’t go into cardiac arrest.

New day in Oilerville.

He’s live on the air right now. Probably can’t wait to crack one and post.

183. Cactus says:

I’m so mad that the old boys network seemed to positively contribute to signing Schultz! Now we can’t rage irrationally against Lowe, Mact T and co. for everything that’s ever wrong with the Oilers (and the world)!

184. speeds says:

Suter-Petry
    Smid-J.Schultz
    Whitney-N.Schultz
    Sutton-Peckham/Potter

I don’t know, maybe I’m just being optimistic, but that kind of, sort of, looks like it might be a pretty decent D?

185. Oilanderp says:

Today is a good day.

186. Romulus Apotheosis says:

speeds,

you add suter to any D and it’s going to look good… but you’re giving me fever dreams right now with that line-up… so many actual NHLers!!

187. Gret99zky says:

Is it true Suter will only go to the team Schultz goes to?

Cuz that would be really great news.

188. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gret99zky,

who cares!! let’s just say that anyway.

189. DeadmanWaking says:

I was assigning myself fifteen minute distractions in the kitchen so as not to wear out Google News. Now I feel almost late to the party.

190. Gret99zky says:

Craig Button‏@CraigJButton

Justin Schultz is the real deal IMO. A great ‘coup’ by the Oilers.

191. bookje says:

Apparently Brian Burke has filed a tampering charge against the Oilers stating that he and Schultz secretly had agreed that Schultz would leave Anahiem, have a big selection process in the press, and then sign in Toronto. Burke was quoted as saying “Sure, it’s tampering on top of tampering, but that doesnt mean that it’s not wrong!”

192. vishcosity says:

Wow. I just saw it on NHL.com. Just, wow.

I am so glad I didn’t start bashing Lowe, by all appearances I have been on his wagon the whole time.

193. gogliano says:

In hindsight, this would have been a million times better if Burke was still in Anaheim.

194. Doug McLachlan says:

Bohologo: As an Oilers fan, a series of events including winning the lottery, drafting Yakupov, and Schultz signing with the Oil leaves me confused and bewildered. As a fan base, we are not emotionally prepared for good news.

Dazed and confused am I.

Gods it is nice to finally win something.

Thanks kid, we will promise to remember how happy we are right now when you cough up a goal (or two, or more) because we are playing you stupid minutes. If you hang with us for a bit this could be an awesome fun ride.

I haven’t been on the Twitter for a bit, how nasty is the vitriol coming from Lotus Land and the Centre of the Universe? How soon until Anaheim initiates their “Tambo Tampering” protocol?

Newer Comments »