MCKENZIE’S 30

One of the major moments in the lead up to draft day is Bob McKenzie’s list. The show just ended, top 60 is posted at tsn and the conversation can begin.

The list is here. Biggest surprise for me is how far Grigorenko fell, bet the Oilers would love to get that Carolina pick now. It’s going to be a very interesting week.

• McKenzie on Yakupov: “8 of the 10 scouts I talked to said he is the #1 prospect in the draft.”
  • McKenzie on Yakupov: “And as much as he is the consensus #1 pick I would say the gap between Nail Yakupov and the rest of the field–over the year–closed considerably.

79 Responses to "MCKENZIE’S 30"

1. ItsTheBGB says:

I still haven’t picked my jaw off the floor from seeing Griffin at number 4. No way he’s picked that early, I don’t see good enough Offensive upside.

3. WheresYourTowel says:

ItsTheBGB:

I have to think that Bob is just trying to mess with Dithers now.

4. Traktor says:

I’m not surprised Samuelsson is at 36. I like the player but he seemed to be getting a crazy amount of hype around here.

I would be happy with Oscar Dansk with our 2nd round pick. Its never a bad idea to go with the best Swedish goalie in the draft and he said a few days ago that he plans on playing in the CHL next year.

Bob has him at 35.

A good 2 weeks would be

1) Jake Gardiner and Griffin Reinhart at #5
    2) Samuelsson at #32
    3) Moroz at #62
    4) Justin Schultz on July 1.

6. WheresYourTowel says:

LT: Off-topic, but curious what you make of the reports that CGY won’t let EDM talk to Sutter. (via @oilersreport, attributed to @NHLbyMatty)

7. Traktor says:

ItsTheBGB:

I think some teams see Weber potential. He might be the most projectable player in the draft.

I think this draft shows us that these players are close enough in value that we’re going to see teams taking “off the board” selections.

Things like Niinimaki are unlikely, but Grigorenko is an example, Samuelsson too.

9. blackdog says:

Yeah I think its going to be a wild first fifteen picks. Maybe even a trade or two.

10. jake70 says:

OT, King’s ransom episode on TSN2 ….inside the Gretzky trade.

11. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Yakupov looks uncannily like Rocket Richard; methinks he’s going to terrify in a way like Hall, but with a better shot!

Oiler’s stand at the gate of destiny again. It’s that simple. Pick this kid and ice a top four, nay, release the top four like the hounds of hell against the canucks, Flames, Kings etc.

Even if he blows his knee out, no one will ever blame Tambellini, or Lowe, or even MacT.

Ever.

12. hunter1909 says:

Thanks for taking time to remind me that Lowe and MacT were behind the Niinimaki disaster.

13. hunter1909 says:

jake70:
    OT, King’s ransom episode on TSN2 ….inside the Gretzky trade.

Thanks for taking time to remind me about the Gretzky “trade”.

PS: I thought if the Kings won the cup, the Gretzky era would be instantly forgotten. Does this too mean that were the Oilers to win the cup, we’re getting Paulina Gretzky’s dad back?

14. sliderule says:

Mckenzie only had two teams not picking Yak first.Edmonton and Columbus??

Of the six defencemen in the top 10 how many will be playing 10 years from now.

My guess is three and that may be high.

15. Cactus says:

hunter1909:

Ever.

This might be more important than we give it credit for. There seems to be consensus in the media that the Oilers must improve this year or Tambellini is done. The player most likely to aid that process in the draft is Yakupov. Murray has an outside chance, but defencemen are notoriously slow developers. Reinhart probably goes back to junior. Even if Edmonton does improve, but doesn’t make the playoffs, Yak’s success on another team might sink Tambellini anyways.

Assuming Tambellini is a self-preserving actor, Yakupov is the pick.

Does Tambellini have the final say?

17. Cactus says:

Does Tambellini have the final say?

For all the jokes we make about Lowe really running the show, I have a hard time believing that they’ll be out of step on a major decision that would define their futures. If Tambellini is purely a puppet, why not sacrifice him this offseason to appease angry fans? You can always find another stooge.

18. anonymous says:

I live in southern Ontario and I am shocked to hear
    Bob say the gap has closed between Yak and the field
    the kid is dynamite. I smell a conspiracy to get the pick traded to the leafs.

19. BlacqueJacque says:

I think we’re underrating Nail.

IMO he’s closer to the 2ppg player than the 1.5ppg player he ended the season as. That knee injury took a lot out of him, and with the summer to heal I expect more than the NHLEs would suggest.

TLDR; The gap between Nail and everyone else narrowed only because he got hurt.

Also, I don’t believe Grigo will fall that far. He had mono, like Couturier, and like Couturier, I think he’s underrated for that reason. I suspect at least one GM in the top 10 learned his lesson from watching Sean this year.

20. regwald says:

BlacqueJacque,

My personal view about Grigo is that the whole mono story is fabricated. I have no evidence, but it just seems to smell of an agent trying to save face for his client in the face of falling draft ratings. He may have been sick, could have been worn down by the long CHL season or the pressure of the media scrutiny and all the scouts visiting and watching each and every game.

If he can be this year’s Couturier, that would be a huge bonus for whoever drafts him.

21. sliderule says:

You have to think Stu and his scouts are hot for Murray.The comment he made about picking the best player for 10 or 15years later repeated by MacT speaks volumes.
    The forward is the quick fix and as defencemen take longer to reach their peak he has to be speaking about a defender.
    Lowe has a job for life and MacT just got hired so if Yak gets 60pts and Murray is mostly riding the bench and being booed when he does get ice time they can replace a couple of scouts and put the heat on Tambo.
    On the other hand Tambo may look slow but he knows the score he will push hard for Yakupov or by a miracle a trade that makes sense to the team and the fans.

22. hunter1909 says:

Cactus: For all the jokes we make about Lowe really running the show, I have a hard time believing that they’ll be out of step on a major decision that would define their futures.If Tambellini is purely a puppet, why not sacrifice him this offseason to appease angry fans?You can always find another stooge.

The Tambellini’s of this world are few and far between. Like the gift that keeps on giving, since hiring Tambo, they’ve already managed to Tank for the Trifecta(tm) in palooka picks, and just slid one of their slimeball buddies totally back into the fold; plus Tambo still has the ability to seemingly control the Oilers, what with their unbelievable amount of secrecy afforded to them by the media, it might even be true sometimes.

hunter1909,

Ever.

This might play a bigger part than you think.

Who wants to be the GM who traded away from an AllStar for a decent 2nd pairing D.

Especially if Hall has destroyed his body by 25 and the Oilers have lots of D and only 14 and 93 up front.

24. anonymous says:

If the don’t pick Yak it will be a huge mistake. I go to quite a few Brampton, London and niagara games every year and have clear memories going back to the late eighties. Lindros would be the only player that ever stuck out more than Yak during the course of a game in my mind. He has it all and he is not small. Also in the 5 games I’ve seen him play he played nowhere near 30 minutes a game.

WheresYourTowel: I have to think that Bob is just trying to mess with Dithers now.

That’s pretty awesome.

26. bookje says:

If you want Murray, you take Yak, put him with the other ‘kids’ and then in Three years you trade Yak for Murray and a first round pick. Its called asset management.

27. bookje says:

Wait – that TSN report said Murray had poise. The Oilers can’t pass up poise.

28. bookje says:

Murray being 2nd with 2/10 presumably calling him as the number 1 makes things even more interesting.

29. DSF says:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Gagner due for raise, 2 years to UFA. Pick has more value.

30. regwald says:

DSF:
    Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Gagner due for raise, 2 years to UFA. Pick has more value.

31. Traktor says:

DSF:
    Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Gagner due for raise, 2 years to UFA. Pick has more value.

Yup.

I don’t think he will be hard to replace either when you factor in that he plays sheltered minutes and doesn’t kill penalties. His replacement will likely be a slight downgrade but then factor in what he might bring via trade.

32. fuzzy muppet says:

bookje,

I highly doubt that it’s Murray ranked #1. I’ve seen a couple guys(Pronman loves Grigorenko near Yak, Huddle has Galchenyuk #1) rank other forwards that high. No one I’ve seen rank a D-man #1.

33. Gret99zky says:

Picking any player besides Yak gives Oil fans ammo against this management team for 10-15 years.

It will make the Pouliot, Bonsignore, JFJ, and Murphy picks look like a highlight reel in comparison.

Does Tambellini have the final say?

I got him 4th.

Woodguy: I got him 4th.

Who’s first when it comes to making the pick?

36. regwald says:

Woodguy: I got him 4th.

But I thought Reinhart was 4th ??? McKenzie said so …. LMAO

regwald: In comparison to the 8th overall pick … is what Pronman is talking about. you missed his other tweet.

That really depends on who is available at 8th.

Is it Scott Glennie (8th in 2009) , or Zach Hamil (8th in 2007) or is it Couturier (8th in 2012) or Setegouchi (8th in 2005)

A hell of a lot of if and clear crystal balls to make that statement.

I like Pronman and he answers off the cuff, but I think its really close depending on who is there.

Its been a while since the OIlers sent out of decent young player for a pick.

They’re due.

38. Traktor says:

Lowetide: Who’s first when it comes to making the pick?

Lowe.

In theory Katz has the final say but I don’t think he would overrule Lowe.

Lowetide: Who’s first when it comes to making the pick?

It really depends on how hands on the owner is.

Its the cone of silence over there in regards to Batman.

I think MacT was hired to say “I wouldn’t do that if I were you”, or at the very least hired to say “Why?”

On something as big as 1st overall I’d think Batman is in the room.

He may trust Lowe implicitly and not be in the room.

I don’t know.

Its one of those two though.

bookje:
    If you want Murray, you take Yak, put him with the other ‘kids’ and then in Three years you trade Yak for Murray and a first round pick.Its called asset management.

41. regwald says:

Woodguy,

I’m no expert, but I sure don’t like that idea … Gagner for an 8th overall. Not at all.

42. Rondo says:

I guess the scouts have Reinhart ranked higher than people like Buttons Redline Pronman ISS

43. Rondo says:

Traktor,

Katz does not know hockey, I would think he is smart enough not to make any decision like that.

regwald:
    Woodguy,

If they had a C to take his place it might make sense if the right player is a 8.

As it stands they don’t and saying you can sign a FA to take his spot is true to a point, but not a given regardless how many people compare him to Wellwood.

Not many FA’s this year.

EDM still not a choice destination.

Who knows, my crystal ball is cloudy.

45. DSF says:

Traktor: Yup.

Sign Wellwood…trade Gagner.

Win-win

Traktor: Lowe.

In theory Katz has the final say but I don’t think he would overrule Lowe.

In practice I think the conversation would go like:

DK: “Who are we taking?”

KL: “Player X”

DK: “Why?”

KL: “Explanation:

DK, looks CM: “Do you agree with all this?”

If Lowe and MacTavish agree on it and its presented to Katz that way, I don’t think he over rules either.

I don’t think Tambellini really has a heavy vote.

DSF: Sign Wellwood…trade Gagner.

Win-win

Less than 3 minutes after my post with “Wellwood.” in it.

You can set your watch to it.

48. DSF says:

Gagner is going to need a raise.

Paying him even qualifying money considering he’s still being sheltered 5 years in…you can replace his production and perhaps find a guy who can also kill penalties for far less.

Take the 8th and run.

49. DSF says:

Woodguy: Less than 3 minutes after my post with “Wellwood.” in it.

You can set your watch to it.

Resistance is futile.

50. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

Just trade Gagner for Brandon Sutter

51. eidy says:

Interesting list. Rein hart and Maata rise from extended playoffs. Yakupov and grigorenko get nicked for not enough in playoffs. Galynchuk moves up for coming back from injury, yakupov gets knocked for decreased production when injured. I can’t see grigorenko falling to 12, but if he does I would be interested.

My ideal is oilers taking yakupov. Col forsburg, mtl galchynuk, and tor being left with choosing grigorenko or more likely a d

Schulz would have to look at toronto getting another d as more reason to go to Edmonton. I think taking a TO d or taking a D in the draft hurts us when getting Schultz.

Further to my ideal I would offer a 6th 2013 which becomes a 3rd if he signs with us to anaheim for the rights to Schultz. I would have tried to get the deal done before the draft and have Shulz and yakupov by 7:10 Friday. Then I’d go for a beer…. Maybe 2

52. bookje says:

Woodguy: In practice I think the conversation would go like:

DK: “Who are we taking?”

KL: “Player X”

DK: “Why?”

KL: “Explanation:

DK, looks CM: “Do you agree with all this?”

I don’t think Tambellini really has a heavy vote.

Kevin was in charge when they were flying around chasing Heatley and the such. When that became an epic fail, Tambellini seemed to take control. With that said, with the ‘rebuild’ faltering this past year (which I think it did), perhaps Lowe and MacT are now in charge.

You know nothing Jon Snow.

53. bookje says:

godot10: Not exactly working for Columbus with Nash and trying to get one of the top three D out of the Rangers.

Nash is not a young star still on his ELC. Big difference there.

Katz: Men, this is the last great soldier we can add before battle.
    MacGregor: Then let it be the defense. Stout, sturdy, brave.
    Lowe: I’ve looked in his eyes, he is steel.
    MacT: I could coach him into a role, but I’m not sure.
    ST: Darn it all, I’m counting my teeth with my tongue and keep getting a different number. One, two…..

bookje: Nash is not a young star still on his ELC.Big difference there.

56. BlacqueJacque says:

regwald:
    BlacqueJacque,

Mypersonal view about Grigo is that the whole mono story is fabricated. I have no evidence, but it just seems to smell of an agent trying to save face for his client in the face of falling draft ratings. He may have been sick, could have been worn down by the long CHL season or the pressure of the media scrutiny and all the scouts visiting and watching each and every game.

That’s an interesting theory, but how do you figure it’s a fabricated story? Aren’t there consequences to lying to scouts/managers? And couldn’t teams test him for mono?

57. doritogrande says:

Traktor: Also, what’s Winnipeg’s financial situation? Apparently Pavelec is asking for 4-5M or he will go to the KHL and Winnipeg doesn’t sound enthused. Seems kind of crazy. I would have no problems paying him #1 goalie money.

We’re supposed to be a mid-cap team, but have a ton of space available with that budget. There’s also Kane to sign, but Pavelec’s the priority for sure. He’s the only reason the Jets are any kind of good.

If there’s a deal for Carolina’s pick, could 8 and 32 get us into the 5 range and get both Yakupov and Reinhart?

58. PDO says:

godot10: In 3 years, neither will Yakupov, and that is when the KHL threat may surface, when he wants more money than Hall, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins.

Oh my god we’ll have too many good players!

If he’s wanting a ton of money (and, given his family background, I don’t think that’s the issue; he wants to be on a winner playing an up-tempo style imo)… you can always deal a goal scorer.

If he’s so good that he believes he’s worth more than Eberle, RNH and Hall that’s one hell of a good problem to have.

59. regwald says:

BlacqueJacque: That’s an interesting theory, but how do you figure it’s a fabricated story?Aren’t there consequences to lying to scouts/managers?And couldn’t teams test him for mono?

It just seemed like the story came out late in the game. It’s a wild ass theory, I admit. Just something seemed odd to me about the story and didn’t ring true. Just my gut, nothing else.

bookje: Kevin was in charge when they were flying around chasing Heatley and the such.When that became an epic fail, Tambellini seemed to take control.With that said, with the ‘rebuild’ faltering this past year (which I think it did), perhaps Lowe and MacT are now in charge.

You know nothing Jon Snow.

Tambellini makes recommendations.

The only thing that is certain is that winter is coming.

61. Nostradumbass says:

Woodguy: Tambellini makes recommendations.The only thing that is certain is that winter is coming.

Ritch Winter??

God let’s hope so

62. TRAV77 says:

I just pray that this isn’t screwed up somehow.

63. Captain Obvious says:

It’s pretty easy to rank players. Take someone like McKenzie’s list and then reorder the list based upon the reasons he gives, placing a higher priority on high-end forwards and age. It’s pretty simple really, some of the reasons are good, while others are not, D are inherently less predictable and have to risk priced in, and finally high end scoring translates better than anything else.

With that in mind here are the best players in the draft.

1. Yakupov (far and away the best player in the draft)
    2. Galchennyuk
    3. Grigorenko (character assassination is not an argument)
    4. Teravainen (size is overvalued)

Gap

5. Reilly (scouts price in injury more than they should)
    6. Murray (poise is a term full of sound and fury signifying nothing–he’s also old for his class)

Gap

7. Dumba

Gap

8. Reinhart (scouts over value size)
    9. Forsberg (if the first compliment that comes to mind is “two-way game” then you aren’t a great player. Two-way game is a compliment that lowers a players value. )

Reinhart and Forsberg are the two players most likely to be be disappointments. Sure they’ll be something but they aren’t going to be stars.

64. FastOil says:

godot10:

I like the cut of your jib Godot. I would also add retrieving the puck defensively and doing something effective with it.

65. Traktor says:

captain obvious:

You probably would have drafted Strome over Landeskog last year. oops

Your list isn’t bad though.

66. regwald says:

On the Oilers new phone app, Jack Michaels posted a mock draft that starts out with “Leafs finally give enough to move up” and they take Nail, Oilers take Reinhart at 5. Probably is posted on their website as well.

67. GordM says:

Is anyone else still trying to count their teeth with their tongue?

Prediction: Yak…can’t pass up on the flash-n-dash. Burke will have a similar flustered look as he did the year he tried to trade up with LA to draft Brayden Schenn

68. Ribs says:

Lowetide: Who’s first when it comes to making the pick?

Mactavish answered this not long ago….

“Asked if the decisions will be made on a two-out-of-three voting system in the new triumvirate, MacTavish laughed.
    “I think it will work like it did with my three assistant coaches. They each got a vote and I got four.”

Lowe pulls the trigger.

69. prairieschooner says:

Nail Yakupov may be this guy which is making Oilers and other guys uneasy
    Ebby Calvin ‘Nuke’ LaLoosh

70. commonfan14 says:

Is there even going to be a serious KHL threat in 3 years?

71. jb says:

If he were currently playing in the KHL, maybe, just maybe one could make the assumption your making.. but unless the KHL becomes the most prestigious/highest paying league in the world you don’t need to be so paranoid over these things.

You obviously think extending the rebuild another couple years is the best option … but why? We’re likely days away from having 4 potential super(ish)stars on our top 2 lines… Now it’s about filling holes through free agency, selling this vision to guys that have the ability to choose where they play out their careers.. Edmonton IS becoming more and more appealing.

Are you actually scared that Yakupov will be so good he’ll demand Malkin type dollars and we’ll be forced to deal one of our four stars?

Is that not one of the best problems a team could ever hope to face?

72. russ99 says:

Gotta take Yakupov. Best player, best scorer, best skater, most mature for his age, good PR and can handle himself with the press.

The selection of Yakupov would mean 2 good scoring lines and a potential return of “Oilers Hockey” after 3 years wandering the dump/cycle wilderness with Quinn and Renney.

There are other ways to get defenseman than to buy what Brian Burke is selling and ending up with a lesser player.

73. blackdog says:

Godot is being his old contrarian self, same as always. Look outside, see that blue sky? Now wait for a dozen posts from him arguing that its red.

I think McKenzie saying 8 ot 10 is the final seal of approval. Yakupov is the de facto #1 pick, Oilers have the #1 choice. Beyond that, we should be able to discuss trading for #8 or #6 if they see a special player in Reinhart.

Right?

75. mustang says:

jb,

jb: Where exactly are you coming from? How in any way, shape, or form is Murray a better choice than Yakupov? Show me one little thing that says Yakupov hopes to play in the KHL… Just one, that’s all I ask. (Media speculation does not count)

Is that not one of the best problems a team could ever hope to face?

I agree, all this talk about anyone else other than Nail at #1 is just plain stupid..BPA
    He’s not going to the KHL, he’s a star and he wants to excel in the best league in the world

What the HELL is wrong with that???

I spit cereal on my keyboard this morning when I read that.

Pretty awesome.

77. copperblueandwhite says:

godot10 says:
    June 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Defensemen who can defend and make passes quickly and accurately are far more valuable than defensemen who can rush the puck.,

…from what I saw in the Mem Cup, Reinhart is soft as whipped cream….I don’t get him being #4 either.

78. justDOit says:

@LT: That teeth counting line is great, and even better if you read it in Ralph Wiggum’s voice!

79. AussieRules says:

I reckon the Reinhardt ranking has a lot to do with his similarity to Dougie Hamilton, who if any scout ranked at 4th last year would have that scout now being applauded for his boldness, conviction and foresight. I’m no scout but I actually see more resemblance between Hamilton and Trouba, with nastiness as the trait which separates them from Reinhardt.

I tend to agree with Regwald that the grigorenko mono story sounded a bit too convenient. Not to say that the conspiracy is true but it just strikes as rather too uncannily similar to coutourier’s story from last year, and smells like the same kind of weird desperation thought up by the dude who suggested wearing a red and white t-shirt to draft interviews.