MORE FREE AGENTS

Several interesting players did not receive qualifying offers yesterday, and some of them should be of interest to the Edmonton Oilers.

The Oilers have so many roster spots already tied up I doubt any of the players listed below will end up in Edmonton. However, there are some interesting names.

• L Benoit Pouliot, Tampa Bay: They just traded for him so I imagine he gets signed before Sunday. If not, Pouliot should be a player of interest for the Oilers since we know they want to add a size/skill player.
  • L Guillaume Latendresse, Minnesota: I’m shocked he’s available, his concussion problems must be a big issue. When healthy he scores 20 goals per 82 NHL games.
  • D Marc-Andre Gragnani, Vancouver: I know he isn’t a physical defender and he’s LH, but this is a pretty damn good puck mover laying on the side of the road.
  • L Kevin Porter, Colorado: Interesting player, can do a few things and has a good work ethic. Had a pretty good season in 10-11, didn’t get a lot done this year.

96 Responses to "MORE FREE AGENTS"

1. Henry says:

If smyth, god forbid, doesnt sign, pouliot is a decent 3 lw option with horc and mps.

2. db7db7 says:

I would also look at Mueller and Wolski.

3. Beaker says:

Hell, Brule might work as a better 4c than Belanger.

4. hunter1909 says:

They’re seriously about to go out and acquire TWO bona fide NHL defencemen, right?

And, at least 1 or more terrifying Semenko-like players to play JFK secret service to the Kids, right?

Unless…they’re seriously going to fuck everything up and we end up with Nathan Mckinnon or whoever the fuck is the sexy pick for 2013.

That cannot possibly happen, right?

I guess this is my last post for the summer. The weather outside is gorgeous, the chicks are not wearing much clothing, and maybe today is the day I wave my hair at one of them, lol.

Yakupov/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Hall = The most young elite level talent assembled in NHL history, since the 1982 Oilers.

How can it possibly go wrong?

5. csimpson18 says:

hunter1909:

Can we aim just a little higher than that particular version?

hunter: Enjoy the summer! MacT mentioned the D so I suspect it is Job 1.

7. Doug McLachlan says:

db7db7:
    I would also look at Mueller and Wolski.

I know the concussion issues with Mueller but I have to think you look at him. Wolski’s head issues seem more fundamental.

NAS didn’t qualify Zorg!

I was thinking the same thing! MacT once called Storts “savvy” and I’m not lying.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909,

csimpson18,

SO… we’re looking for a James Brady type guy:

ps. for all you Errol Morris enthusiasts (there has to be 1 of you, right?) this is a funny little short doc loosely related to JFK:

11. viba says:

Lowetide, can you please do a piece on Wade Redden?? I would love the oilers to take a gamble at him.. he’s taking a cap hit of 6.5 mill for the next two years but his actual salary is 5 milion this year and next. If the rangers put him on re entry and we owe him 2.5 for the next couple years, that would be a better return on investment than the similar salary paid to barker. He’s probably not top 4 material in most teams but i think that mentoring role and past NHL experience would make Redden a valuable and effective addition to the roster. Any chance you see it happening??

12. jonrmcleod says:

You want another Marc-Andre at D? Better warn Dubnyk to watch out.

13. pboy says:

I scanned the first couple of sentences and I thought you were talking about Marc-Antoine Pouliot for next season……..

If healthy, Guillaume Latendresse is the best chance for an impact player on that list.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod:
    I knew Yakupov would get some media attention from his Twitter activity.

priceless!! thanks

I can’t wait for ST to find out he’s actually representing The People’s Republic of China and not the Edmonton Oilers.

15. Chris says:

Signing Latendress to a one year deal could actually be a good move. He’s two injury riddled seasons away from fa 25 goal campaign. The fellow does have some skill and given the team seems obsessed with adding someone with his height and weight he’s not a bad option on a one year deal. After one year if he hasn’t shown anything you can always walk away.

16. Doug McLachlan says:

Chris,

My understanding from MSM reports is that Latendress is still expected to resign with the Wild.

Player’s coach through and through.

Mind you, in 256 games he was only -6 on terrible EDM teams (-7 in 29 games as a rookie, and +1 in the next 227 games)

18. jfry says:

i’d rather zorg than eager. no question. i think i’d rather zorg than tootoo as well. fuck, if we could just draft a lucic type ;)

19. Captain Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

My favourite is this one:

Q from adoring fan: “On a scale of 1-69 how pretty am I?”

Answer from our man Akynob: 55

20. Bar_Qu says:

jonrmcleod:
    I knew Yakupov would get some media attention from his Twitter activity.

You called it. I have been seeing him re-tweeted for the last day or so and it is simply amazing to me the stuff he will say. Good on him (for now) but I suspect he will be reined in shortly (I’d give money to see the kind of social media clauses that are attached to players’ contracts these days-well, maybe give money to one of the lawyers on here to look at them and tell me what it says).

And, as stated before by a few people. The next few days are key. What happens by Monday tells us all we need to know about this team for the next 10 months. Who they sign is a real tell on what their expectations are for the season.

BTW, what happened to that coach announcement?

21. denny33 says:

With all due respect, what transpired in the 2nd round is EXACTLY what I have been posting about for the last year. Anyone can pick #1 overall. Pick a random Canadian citizen on the street and they could give you the conseneus first pick overall.

You need your SCOUTS to find players in the later rounds. In particular, the 2nd round.

2010 – 2nd round – Justin Falk
    2009 – 2nd round – Ryan O’Reilly
    2008 – 2nd round – Voyanov, Luke Adam,Derek Stepan, Travis Hammonic
    2007 – 2nd round – PK Subban, Nick Spaling , Wayne Simmonds
    2006 – 2nd round – Jamie McGinn, Nicolei Kulemin, Milan Lucic ** ( we took Jeff Petry over Lucic )
    2005 – 2nd round – James Neal, Marc Vlasic, Onrej Pavelec, Paul Stasty , Mason Raymond
    ** Pavelec was the MVP goalie for the jets this year. We drafted Taylor Chorney

Picking 1st or 2nd in the 2nd round should mean something…..their was an audible gasp when Calgary made their 1st round selection. By definition, someone right then and there fell out of the 1st round that probably should not have….Finn, Thrower, Pokka Sutter ….

Picking up Zharkov was a good pick – great value.

This past Saturday the Edmonton Oilers passed by a couple of players that surprisingly fell out of the 1st round and were IMMEDIATELY drafted by the teams behind us.

Montreal made great use of their picks — Thrower and Colberg were taken in the 2nd round. Some tieams had BOTH thos players going in the first round.

The National Post has it right – we graded out a C. And the only reason for that was no skill pick at Yakapov…..

I truly do not understand people ( most in this forum ) idolozing our scouting staff.

Ask RNH about Lukas Sutter – the Jets found him in the 2nd round. this year.

Only time will tell, but we have been picking 1st (or 2nd) in the 2nd round now for three years running. I have to assume there is a Lucic, Pavelic or Hammonic there somewhere.

However, in hearing what 3rd parties have to say about us is not giving me a good feeling.

22. Jordan says:

BTW, what happened to that coach announcement?

I don’t think that we should expect one before July 1.

I don’t think it has much to do with the Org – I think it has more to do with the coaches.

Riddle me this:
    What has happened to the last two head coaches the Oilers have had?
    The answer of course is they’ve been saddled with shit teams and shit goaltending and they’ve lost. Badly.

If you were a coach, would you sign here, before you had some idea what you had to work with on the back end? Or if the team was actually going to keep St. Nik?

Could be terrible for your career’s longevity.

23. Archie says:

LT do you actually believe that the Oilers will get a Dman better then what they have. The pickings are pretty slim, and what there is will cost you dearly. The Oilers have 7 positions for D and Petry, Smid, Schultz, Sutton, and Whitney, that’s 5. Then you have Potter, Fedun and Peckham, I figure Potter will be the odd man out and the Oilers will give Fedun every chance to earn the job. Peckham is the wild card, It’s to early to give up on him and you have to give him a shot, they always have Teubert to step up if need be.

If you go out and sign or trade for a plug, it could hurt the development of some of your prospects. Please note Sutton may not be the best, but he brings leadership and grit to the team and he’s a good piece of insurances to have.

24. Bar_Qu says:

Jordan,

Cunneyworth knew the kind of disaster he was walking into and still took the job. Same with Dale Hunter.

I think getting a coach for an NHL team is easy. Thirty spots. Thousands of applicants. Getting a good/great coach is trickier. But from what we’ve seen the Oilers aren’t looking for a good/great coach. They are looking for their guy.

And it is a lot harder to sign UFAs to a team with no coach, especially when that team has had 2+ months to find one. A coach needs to be named before Sunday, imo, if the Oilers have a hope of getting the guys they want.

And from what I’m seeing on the interwebs, J. Schultz is not likely going to be here (Holland just guaranteed him a roster spot on the Wings. Don’t know how the Oilers compete with the Wings, let alone Vancouver).

If I’m a bright kid like Schultz, I don’t sign with Edm.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Obvious:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

My favourite is this one:

Q from adoring fan: “On a scale of 1-69 how pretty am I?”

Answer from our man Akynob:55

That was alternately hilarious and disturbing… what’s with all the girls asking if they are pretty… ???

that’s either the product of a grand narcissistic fishing expedition or of extremely poor self esteem (or both)… either way… not a good sign.

buck up ladies… ask him about his wrist shot.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BTW, what happened to that coach announcement?

Not sure if this is reporting or what… but per Brownlee:

“That caveat aside, I’m looking forward to my first live look at the dynamic Sarnia Sting winger on the blades when Yakupov and other prospects take to the ice at Millennium Place in Sherwood Park Wednesday – after the team announces who the new head coach is.”

27. rickithebear says:

PDo: commented on KHB wrecking all progress. He was a .877 Sv% goalie.
    Wondered what effect our two goalies had on players numbers from Jan.

Games-goals-assists-points-(+/-)-pim-hits-blocks
    Smid w/
    DD 24-1-4-5-(+12)-14-57-54
    KHB 16-1-3-4-(-7)-4-43-42
    Petry w/
    DD 26-1-13-14-(+6)-10-59-54
    KHB 16-0-5-5-(-9)-4-24-25
    Sutton W/
    DD 21-1-3-4-(+6)-6-45-36
    KHB 14-1-1-2-(-5)-24-36-24
    Potter w/
    DD 25-1-5-6-(+3)-14-27-33
    KHB 14-1-2-3-(-11)-6-23-15

That is some good numbers with a league average goalie.

Whitney w/
    DD 23-3-11-14-(-5)-12-9-38 50 pt dman w/ DD and -3 last three games.
    KHB 10-0-3-3-(-5)-0-5-24
    basically +4 better every ten games with DD.
    Schultz w/
    DD 14-0-2-2-(-2)-4-16-35
    KHB 7-0-2-2-(0)-6-7-9
    no diffence with either.with a 1.90GA/60 and zone start below 45%

28. pboy says:

Adam Oates the next head coach in Washington, as per TSN.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

pboy,

I somehow missed this when it happened:

30. russ99 says:

I just love that Yakupov kid. Just the right attitude to shake up the stuffed shirts in the organization.

Plus he’s way too talented to get the same conform or else treatment the similarly headstrong Omark received, right?

31. Doug McLachlan says:

Since we are reading tea leaves, perhaps Cooper (or other) was awaiting on the Washington decision before deciding on us. As much as we pump the tires of our kids, we finished 29th and if I was an NHL coach I have to think the Capitals are closer to the promised land than we are.

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

russ99

: I wonder what the delay is on the head coach move. If it goes longer, could we end up with Crawford?

If it goes much longer, we could wind up with Lester Patrick.

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Neither was MacT. Zorg has a pretty good head for the game, great attitude, nice size too. It’s the lack of fast-twitch fibres that did him in.

34. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

speeds:
    Is Gagner an offer sheet target?

Thought 23 is all kinds of whack… less cash – ok:

23. A lot of questions about Karlsson’s new seven-year, $45.5-million contract. It was a bit of a surprise because there was a minimal bonuses and no lockout protection. Karlsson did the Senators a favour by taking less cash with Gonchar’s and Spezza’s current contracts still on the books, providing flexibility. Murray and Senators owner Eugene Melnyk repaid him with a longer term than they initially wanted. Plus, if the age of unrestricted free agency rises in a new collective bargaining agreement, they’ll be forced to qualify Karlsson at $7.5 million — the final-year salary of this deal. Fair deal for both sides.

35. bookje says:

pboy:
    Adam Oates the next head coach in Washington, as per TSN.

What – he was a former Oiler – how can he do that to us? Once an Oiler always an Oiler!!! Don’t we need another person in management?

36. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Last attempt at Cooper before going back to Krueger? A guy can dream.

37. bookje says:

I would be quite happy with Krueger or Cooper. Both are risks, but at least they are not proven failures like some of the re-tread coaches some people are promoting.

38. rich says:

bookje: I would be quite happy with Krueger or Cooper. Both are risks, but at least they are not proven failures like some of the re-tread coaches some people are promoting

Ditto. I would just like MacT to ask Tambi, “what is it about the first 2 former Vancouver coaches” that worked so well that makes you think we need to hire another”?

Stauffer today:

“Kruger in the final pairing at the 54 hole mark”

“Crawford not in the final pairing”

“Nelso will be back as OKC coach”

“Don’t think the asisstant coaches change if Krueger is hired”

“Other coach in the mix is from “ouside of the box””

He also intimated that the other coach in the mix isn’t Cooper

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy,

“Don’t think the asisstant coaches change if Krueger is hired”

Wouldn’t Krueger’s old job have to be replaced… at the very least?

41. Doug McLachlan says:

Stevens out of LA?

42. Ryan says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

I heard a rumor that the Oilers have offered Horcoff the position of head coach. :)

43. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Stauffer today:

“Kruger in the final pairing at the 54 hole mark”

“Crawford not in the final pairing”

“Nelso will be back as OKC coach”

“Don’t think the asisstant coaches change if Krueger is hired”

“Other coach in the mix is from “ouside of the box””

He also intimated that the other coach in the mix isn’t Cooper

Given Stauffer’s recent track record, I look forward to the Oilers announcing the hiring of Cooper soon.

44. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

I heard from someone who knows Katz that they were likely going to hire an AHL coach. That was a month ago. Guess that’s changed. This time, I’m not joking, but it wasn’t a strong source.

45. bookje says:

What if it is Charlie Huddy or Doug Weight?

How many people’s heads would blow up here?

Just wondering.

46. Moosemess says:

DSF:
    Or you could have just gone out and acquired the real John Madden (Florida did), or Sami Pahlsson (Vancouver did).
    Players like that are always available.
    Drafting them at the top of the second round is a huge fail.

Apologies in carrying forward a reply from another thread, but found this amusing:

DSF suggesting that drafting a soon-to-be Selke Trophy Winner in the 2nd round is a huge fail but signing that player well past his best-buy date is solid procurement practise.

Can’t argue with that kind of logic.

47. Ribs says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Not sure if this is reporting or what… but per Brownlee:

48. nathan says:

bookje,

I can report that 55th hole to be played live at Rexall place. Broadcast details to follow. APG.

49. eidy says:

As I get older, and thanks to the heavy influence of raising kids, I try to take a more forest and less trees approach to life. Selection bias is present everywhere in society and I always find draft time to be particularly polarizing.

Heading into this draft we heard multiple times that there was one star, a second tier of 6-9 players, and than after that it was pretty wide open. The teams couldn’t agree on a top 5-10 let alone a top 50. It is for this reason that I really like what NHL numbers did as it tries to remove some of the personal bias of an individual list. However even in this list the consensus #1 was not #1 on 20% of the scouts polled by TSN. That is why I am having a lot of trouble being too upset with the Moroz pick. I wouldn’t have made the pick and definitely making the pick leaves you up to scrutiny for not taking BPA. The other thing that really seems to influence selections is how far they go in the Memorial cup and playoffs. The biggest risers at the end of the year were Reinhardt, Samuellson, and Maata, all present at the memorial cup. The biggest faller, grigorenko for a poor playoffs and even yakupov took a hit for not going further. Is it not possible that just as these players had moved up significantly on lists that Moroz did the same. We just didn’t hear about it because he was not a top 5 or 20 pick.

I am not sure how the pick will come out and I suspect like most people that it has the potential to blow up in their face. However, it seems a bit early to be on the edge of the cliff. And all scouts must know that any reach pick is what will determine how they are viewed by the populus. And the populus has a long memory, ask MAP. Its easy to say we would have all picked BPA when the turn came up, but sometimes you have to go with your gut.

Lastly, a better way of evaluating draft success is to consider where they would be redrafted if the draft was today. If they are in the range of where they were picked, than we should have no problem with the pick. Obviously, Eberle would go much higher than where he was picked and some of our seconds would go much lower, but I think the oilers have won more of these bets than they have lost. Even new whipping boy MPS would still likely go in the range. Some players after him have started off better and some before worse, I still think he is in the range.

I think our scouting department has done a pretty good job of inproving the quality of the team not just with the first few picks, but possibly with some picks later in the draft. I am pleased that they have expanded the pools and picked Russian born players (even though it looks more shallow because they played in the CHL, the KHL risk is higher with them than Canadian CHL players) and maybe they are onto something with the older NCAA players.

Regardless, until the D is improved, we are all going to be all too familiar with the names at the top of the draft. I would rather the most exciting time of the year not be who we are picking with the lottery pick and would like to see some meaningful hockey games.

50. nathan says:

St@uffer’s waxing poetic on travelling with Yakupov and the others 3 boys of the band. Which one is Ringo?

51. Doug McLachlan says:

Ribs: The funnest part of that link is Brownlee threatening to ban someone for saying “meow” instead of “now” in the comments. Hah. Good ol’ Brownlee. As for the head coach… Craig Simpson tweeted something about fitness testing today. They couldn’t….They wouldn’t…..?

So it’s official. They hate us.

52. Ribs says:

Doug McLachlan: So it’s official.They hate us.

My bad. It was a tweet from Dillon Simpson, which… Makes sense. Phew.

53. nathan says:

> Other coach in the mix is from “outside of the box’”

How far outside? Mark, Wayne or Wanye? Nail that sucker tight.

54. Jordan says:

eidy,

Great post. Very level headed.

What are you doing on the internet, especially in a comments section? This is the realm of instant emotional reactions and thoughtless rambling responses.

Its the second last place I would ever expect to see something like that (the last is the policy portion of a political debate).

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ribs,

Brownlee lives to pick fights with his commenters and they in turn live to menace him… it’s a perfectly symmetrical situation.

56. eidy says:

I leave emotion and spontaneity to when I have to yell at the kids…. and while driving in Regina, crazy crazy bad drivers here.

57. DSF says:

eidy:

Doesn’t your wife appreciate a little emotion and spontaneity?

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

I heard from someone who knows Katz that they were likely going to hire an AHL coach.That was a month ago.Guess that’s changed.This time, I’m not joking, but it wasn’t a strong source.

All signs point to Krueger, but that doesn’t mean as much as it used to.

Not sure if they’d hire an AHL coach over their own AHL coach.

Oilers have always been “inbred” that way.

Bucky is like furniture. He’ll be there after everyone else is in the grave.

59. Cactus says:

Did anyone else notice item 26 from Elliotte Friedman’s latest?

“26. Wrote a couple of weeks ago that Brent Sutter would have received “official” permission to talk to Edmonton if he wanted (his contract with Calgary ends this week). Think I was wrong about that one. Sounds like the Flames weren’t happy with the public dalliance between their former head coach and the Oilers. It’s tough because we all understand the rivalry. But Calgary did fire Sutter and you can’t blame a guy for looking at new work.”

I thought I read somewhere else that Sutter HAD received permission, but I could be wrong. If this were true, it might explain why the Oilers still don’t have their coach. And that would be troubling.

60. eidy says:

DSF:

she did, but we have 2 kids, and she knows my 2 moves now. She has now become the ultimate shut down defender. If the oilers had 6 as good as her, we would have less to talk about:)

61. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:
    Bucky is like furniture.He’ll be there after everyone else is in the grave.

62. pboy says:

Sakic, Oates, Bure and Sundin all elected to the HHOF. I can’t believe that Shanahan didn’t get in on the 1st ballot. Not that any of the Hall of Fames are anywhere near as exclusive as they should be but I don’t think Sundin would be in there if I was picking. Very, very good player but not a legend.

63. hockeyguy10 says:

Cactus,

Gregor asked Feaster in one of his pre draft articles from Pittsburgh and according to Feaster it was okay.

64. bookje says:

Cactus:
    Did anyone else notice item 26 from Elliotte Friedman’s latest?

I thought I read somewhere else that Sutter HAD received permission, but I could be wrong.If this were true, it might explain why the Oilers still don’t have their coach.And that would be troubling.

Feaster indicated that he had not prevented Sutter from talking to the Oilers (the wording indicated that he had not been asked for permission).

65. nathan says:

” I can’t believe that Shanahan didn’t get in on the 1st ballot”

pboy,

Upon further review…

66. Cactus says:

bookje,

hockeyguy10,

This is what I heard as well. But if true, they’ve been able to talk to all possible candidates for a while now. The Schultz lottery starts tomorrow – why the delay? The Friedman thing was the closest I found to an explanation, but it would rely upon Feaster lying. That’s unlikely, but he’s the Flames GM so I’m okay with some baseless suspicion.

67. nathan says:

Cactus,

Maybe there are 2 finalists and one has been guaranteed to Justin if he signs. Just thinking way outside the box of sanity.

68. FPB94 says:

Both Pouliot and Latendresse are from the same tree:

Big guys who can hit, shoot, skate and pass above average. (And shoot i’d say in the top 10%).

Both guys look like all-world class players if you only look at the tools. They both lack a little something, a killer instinct.

If the mob doesn’t go crazy on them for being what they are, they’re a good part of a winning club.

They can be at best, the 3rd wheel who gets the puck in the corner on the top 6. (Like what they tried to draft but now). And at Worst, very, very useful 3rd liners.

69. denny33 says:

eidy,

(Responding to above quote )

Just curious, having taken a look back at our 2nd round selections for the last 6 years and given where we have finished in the overall standings, what later round picks stand out from the crowd for you?

70. Cactus says:

denny33:
    eidy,

Stu MacGregor became head scout n 2008. Here are the second round picks since then:

2008: No second round pick.
    2009: Anton Lander, played more than 50 games in the NHL. Not well, but that’s still tracking okay and he has a decent shot of being an actual NHL player, even if on the 4th line.
    2010: Tyler Pitlick. Slow start in the AHL, but showed improvement later in the season. Showing good development according to the coach and other observers.
    2010: Martin Marincin. Had a great draft +1 season and a good draft +2 season, including a fine, but small AHL showing. Tracking well.
    2010: Curtis Hamilton. Solid final year in junior but difficulty in the AHL this season. Down arrows, but he’s got at least one more season to turn it around.
    2011: David Musil. Having a strong season in junior until injury. Should rebound.

So out of the 5 players Stu and co. have drafted in the 2nd round up until this year, all but one are showing potential/on track. They won’t all make the NHL, but with the exception of Hamilton, you also couldn’t say definitively that any one of them won’t. Approximately 25% of 2nd round picks have any type of NHL career. There’s an outside chance that 60 or 80% of these guys cover that bet. That’s an excellent result.

If you’re complaining because they haven’t had an impact in the NHL so far, then maybe it’s time to recalibrate your expectations. Unless you’re an early 1st round pick, it often takes a few years for draftees to make an NHL team and help in any serious way. 2006 2nd round pick Jeff Petry is just now making a big impact.

71. Doug McLachlan says:

Beyond 1st rounders, notable pics since 2008 (IMHO) include:

2008 Teemu Hartikainen in the 6th;
    2009 Anton Lander in the 2nd, Olivier Roy in the 5th;
    2010 Tyler Pitlick and Martin Marincin in the 2nd, Tyler Bunz in the 5th
    2011 David Musil in the 2nd, Tobias Rieder in the 4th, Martin Gernat in the 5th

I get the criticism of Moroz in the 2nd this year but I am increasingly of the view that the speed at which he rose of the CSB rankings since January (from 171 to 72) suggested that Stu wasn’t the only one who noticed a trajectory. I also really like Daniil Zharkov – seriously, who doesn’t what to own a Zharkov jersey? :-)

72. Doug McLachlan says:

Given the track record on this site about the mistreatment by Oilers brass of current and select past Oilers, what do we make of the twitter-silence from the Canucks on Bure’s (overdue) HHoF entrance?

73. bookje says:

The thread is kind of boring today.

Anyone notice what a Class 1 Grade A Whiny Prick Ryan Smyth as been lately?

Anyone?

74. DeadmanWaking says:

Isles reportedly offered all their picks for No. 2 overall

If true, this suggests Yak was far from a slam dunk. It’s like the girl everyone knows is the prettiest, yet there’s another one many of the men secretly want.

75. commonfan14 says:

Just a point to ponder…

Is there any team in the NHL more likely than the Oilers to overpay Smyth on his next contract now that we’ve had him back in the fold and the fans won’t want to see him go again?

I don’t think there is.

Can we really be so naive as to think that his trade request had nothing to do with this?

76. Moosemess says:

Yesterday’s threads got me thinking a little more about this axiom that the draft should not be used to draft role players, but rather should be used to procure elite level talent. The theory being that filling out the roster with the players needed to do the grunt work (pk, faceoffs, shutdown checking, etc.) is best done through free agency, trades or other procurement means leaving the draft dedicated to the work of unearthing elite level talent exclusively.

The subtext to this conversation was the supposition that the defensive specialists in the league were all former offensive stars in junior who ‘transformed’ themselves into two-way players or defensive checkers in the big league.

I started thinking about this recruitment practise in terms of how it might play out in my chosen profession. As a Mktg Dir, I’m tasked with overseeing a team of specialists or ‘role players’ if you will covering a wide range of disciplines (print, tv, radio, events, web, social media, pr, seo, etc.). If I were to emulate the recommended model for building a Stanley Cup contender into my field, theoretically if I was looking for the hottest seo hotshot on the market to add to my team, I would look for the top performers (i.e. elite level talent) in the particular industry I was focused on and thus groom/develop this top performer to fit the specific seo role I envision for them.

Carrying this analogy further, it was suggested that the top point producers represent the elite level talent the draft should be seeking. Given that the efficacy of marketing efforts are quantified by bottom line ROI, it should thus hold I’d be focusing my recruitment efforts on those marketeers who’d achieved the most impressive results on the bottom line.

Unfortunately, much like hockey players, the results achieved by marketeers are greatly influenced by their environment. Much like a hockey players’ results are impacted by the quality of their team, their ice time and the quality of the competition, the ability of the marketeer to achieve net profit is impacted by numerous factors (consumer perception of the brand, budget scope, scales of economy, market conditions, etc.).

For example, I might be considering two potential candidates for my SEO hire. One generated truly impressive bottom line number (i.e. points production) in the previous year while the other candidate’s numbers are quite modest by comparison. Upon delving further however, I discover the former candidate’s budget investment in seo to be quite nominal and his kpi performance based on unsustainable conditions. He entered an untapped market with a killer application and an unsustainable launch budget and absolutely killed it. As should any marketeer worth his salt with that kind of wind at his back. In hockey parlance, we might consider this player comparable to BJ MacDonald with plenty of PP time and a spot on Gretzky’s wing.

Further upon closer examination, my 2nd candidate operated with a shoestring budget, invested the majority of it in natural search optimization and achieved a far more impressive return on investment ratio by landing several page 1 google rankings. In other words, in terms of the specialist skill I’m seeking, he proved himself a top performer.

So who do I want to fill my specialist seo role? I contend that’s it the latter candidate particularly if he has a passion for his particular discipline (3rd line two way specialist) and I’m hoping to retain him in the organization for any significant period of time. Let’s face it, the first candidate is me and won’t be satisfied unless he’s owning his own budget/product/team (i.e. Top 6 and PP minutes). In other words, if I draft Nikita Filatov with the goal of developing him into Patrice Bergeron, I might expect to encounter some resistance.

I think the same logic in the example above holds true for recruiting hockey players and I surmise that one of the problems mediocre clubs have is that they overvalue offensive skills and production at the expense of other equally valuable but less quantifiable skills.

In particular, I’m thinking of John Madden, whom every team in the league overlooked and then went on to win the Selke Trophy. What did the scouts miss?

77. Moosemess says:

1992–93 Barrie Colts COJHL 43 49 75 124 82 — — — — —
    1993–94 Michigan Wolverines CCHA 36 6 11 17 14 — — — — —
    1994–95 Michigan Wolverines CCHA 39 21 22 43 8 — — — — —
    1995–96 Michigan Wolverines CCHA 43 27 30 57 45 — — — — —
    1996–97 Michigan Wolverines CCHA 42 26 37 63 56 — — — — —

Here’s a look at John Madden’s box cars previous to his signing with the NJD.

The first line is impressive points production and would seem to support the conventional thinking that today’s defensive specialists in the NHL were former offensive glory boys in junior.

But Maddens’ PPG fell off significantly after he went the college route and the scouts remainded suitably unimpressed, enough that he is passed over in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft.

Fortunately for Madden, Lou Lamoriello sees something in him, signs him as a free agent and the rest is history for the soon to be Selke Winner.

So what happened?

I suspect the pro scouts saw this speedburner as a bit of a one trick pony, who’s speed advantage in junior translated less favorably in college and thus didn’t project well for superior offensive production in the NHL.

To a certain degree, the scouts were right but what they failed to recognize is how the reapplication of Madden’s competitive advantages (speed, faceoff abilities, tenacity on the backcheck) would flourish in a well defined specialist role, ultimately resulting in his being an integral component on a eventual Cup winner.

Given that he was signed off the streets, Madden ultimately proves the maxim of draft the point producers and procure the defensive talent elsewhere.

But given the value they represent to a Cup contender, why wouldn’t you draft a superior defensive specialist when you can?

I think the short answer is the good teams do while bad teams focus myopically on offensive talent alone and signficantly undervalue other skills that can make the player extremely effective in the other 75% of the ice surface.

On first glance, Patrice Bergeron, Pavel Datsyuk, Jere Lehtinen and Kris Draper seem to share some commonalities. All drafted by strong orgs (at least Dallas WAS at the time) and none with particularly strong boxcars as amateurs. All taken after the first round. All go on to win the Selke.

Some further investigation is merited, but on the surface, it appears that good teams understand the value of superior defensive skills and draft accordingly. Whether they envisioned these players as role players, two players or defensive specialists at the outset is unclear, but the bottom line is they didn’t discount them entirely at the draft table on the basis of their boxcars alone.

This might be encouraging news for MPS, a player who could certainly be developed into a superior defensive specialist should his considerable competitive advantages fail to translate into offensive points production.

OMG, we drafted a player 10th overall and he turned into the next Kris Draper. I could imagine worse outcomes.

78. nathan says:

“Yesterday’s threads got me thinking a little more about this axiom that the draft should not be used to draft role players, but rather should be used to procure elite level talent.”

Moosemess,

If you haven’t yet see Nill, Jim (Wings):

I think the biggest argument is about evaluating picks 20 to 40.

79. eidy says:

denny33,

Starting in 2008 which I believe was SMB’s first draft I think these players are exceeding expectations:

2008: Hartikainen, Cornet is at worst equalling expectations
    2009: Roy is playing well, Bigos to a lesser degree, but covering the bet
    2010: Bunz and Davidson, Blain as well, but for whatever reason he was let go.
    2011: Reider and Gernat

So in terms wound 4-7, that would make 9/17 picks that at least covered the bet for someone in the range. Some look to be home runs as they could play quality minutes in the NHL with HariKainen, Roy, Bunz, and Gernat. Maybe even Reider.

Of course between round 2 and 3 isn’t as pretty:
    2008: no picks, maybe our best year:)
    2009: Lander (who I think could be useful) and 2 busts
    2010: Pitlick and Marincin show promise, Hamilton needs a big year, and martindale has not delivered
    2011: Musil shows promise, ewanyk and perhonen haven’t looked good

I would say 4 potentially useful players out of 10. Usually we wait til the 3rd round to reach, but we got up early this year to do it. Maybe we should use all are 3rd round picks to trade for established 4-6 defensemen and 4th line grinders.

That or just take matt finn or collberg when he is gift wrapped for us.

80. eidy says:

i guess i shouldn’t take that long to post, stupid work

81. Gret99zky says:

Meehan is going to screw the whole thing up and Ryan will be sleeping on the couch for a while. In another city.

Mackenzie reporting Ralph gets the nod as HC tomorrow.

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Hearing EDM will announce its new coach as early as tomorrow and as has been speculated for weeks now, it’s expected to be Ralph Krueger.

Three things:

1) Oilers meeting w/ “Smyth camp” this week as per Gregor. Same agents as J. Shultz and Oiler management are going there tomorrow so it stands to reason.

2) Bob McKenzie tweeting that Oilers will announce Krueger tomorrow.(Announce Krueger and get on a plane and go?). Hope Krueger goes. He gets $30K a crack for public speaking. I’d let him do the talking and give v4.0 salted crackers with peanut butter and nothing to drink.

3) Re: drafting bottom 6 players. Tyler has an interesting post up on the subject. http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=4731

LMHF#1: But why in hell is this the case? The only right move they ever made with him was when they left him exposed in the expansion draft.

I think its the Oiler for life thing.

Sammy’s been on the payroll since he lost all his career earnings in some bad busioness deals.

84. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Like Tyler’s article.

There is room in round 2 for big players with non-elite finishing skills if they have tools to play on any line as needed. If they can’t skate, if the puck dies on their stick, if they aren’t strong on the cycle game it’s a wasted pick.

85. nathan says:

Gregor and Spector are talking about who should lead a pitch for Schultz

Krueger
    Hall, Eberle
    MacT,Lowe

Tambellini should be gagged at the back of the room or just do the Wal-Mart greeter bits with Batman

3 Power Point slides in Steve needs to wake up the recruit

86. nathan says:

Katz: Mac, OK. I’ll take Tambi’s recommendation but you get both jobs if Krueger can’t produce. But let’s not announce it today I’ve got this great idea from Harold Ballard. We fly Ralph to Toronto. Put a paper bag on his head and we pull it off when its his turn to speak.

Mac: First part’s not bad. Let Kreuger make his first impression before the press rates the hire. Helluva speaker. You can save the paper bag for Steve’s mouth.

87. Cactus says:

Woodguy,

Thanks for the link, it was a good read. I think Tyler’s following line needs to be adopted, not only by teams drafting, but all the fans watching and commenting.:

“I think you’ve got to approach it (the draft) with a tremendous sense of humility.”

nathan:
    Woodguy,

Like Tyler’s article.

Woodguy: He actually did ok as HC for one year in the AHL. Got his players to over acheive.

I think its the Oiler for life thing.

Agree 100%.

Those advocating pure skill and sliding players have a point, but not as much a point as their shrill condemnation would have you believe.

Cactus:
    Woodguy,

Thanks for the link, it was a good read.I think Tyler’s following line needs to be adopted, not only by teams drafting, but all the fans watching and commenting.:

“I think you’ve got to approach it(the draft) with a tremendous sense of humility.”

Humility which is lacking in those who scream about taking Moroz at 32.

I looked at every player who slid out of the top 30 into the second round. Nothing special in terms of NHL games played.

Apparently most slid for a reason.

90. Captain Obvious says:

Moosemess,

That was a very thoughtful post. However, I think your analogy is off. In my view the BPA is akin to choosing the best liberal arts graduate.

Study after study has demonstrate that businesses are better off hiring liberal arts graduates than graduates with business degrees. A graduate with a liberal arts degree hasn’t been trained for a specific role but is best able to adapt to different situations because they have highly developed thinking skills on the basis of a breadth of knowledge that cannot be acquired any other way.

A technician will always be just a technician, however, a well rounded educated person, can learn any techniques you put in front of him, and better, be able to implement them in new and creative ways.

Woodguy: Humility which is lacking in those who scream about taking Moroz at 32.

Apparently most slid for a reason.

“Every player”, should read “a lot of players”, mostly from 2006 and on.

92. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: ) Bob McKenzie tweeting that Oilers will announce Krueger tomorrow.(Announce Krueger and get on a plane and go?). Hope Krueger goes. He gets $30K a crack for public speaking. I’d let him do the talking and give v4.0 salted crackers with peanut butter and nothing to drink.

That is golden. Laughing still.