OILERS AT 63: JUJHAR KHAIRA

Power forward from the BCJHL, on his way to Michigan Tech.

Bill Muckalt, Michigan Tech asst coach: “We see him as a big time power forward. He skates really well, very good down low, strong on the puck, has good vision and great offensive instincts. I think he has a lot of potential to be a pro hockey player.”

Jujhar Khaira (C, Prince George, BCHL)

Vitals: Born Surrey, 6-foot-2, 182 pounds; GP: 54, G: 29, A:50 Pts. 79; Rank: 74th NA skater (CS).

Scouting: Not selected in the WHL bantam draft after playing midget in Cloverdale, was second in scoring for Prince George in 2010-11 and then had a breakout season with the Spruce Kings on a line with BCHL scoring leader Paul De Jersey and also played for Canada West in the under-19 World Junior A Challenge. Will play at Michigan Tech next season.

Quotable: “I want to show than mentally I’m strong enough to play the game at the next level. My foot speed really needs to increase and I do need to get stronger because there are some guys at the next level who have matured. I do really need to work on that.” — Jujhar Khaira.

Pronounced Judge-ar Care-ah. That’s for me. :-)

Redline Report At Red Line, we believe this kid could be the biggest/best sleeper of the entire draft. Prince George is so far off the beaten path teams don’t even travel there for WHL games, much less BCHL contests, so he gets zero exposure. But this kid is big, mean, aggressive, nasty, and guess what… he can score too. Does the dirty work in the corners, bangs bodies and wins battles, and loves to initiate heavy contact. Powerful stride with great balance and gets leverage on his hits. Has surprisingly soft hands and puck skills with playmaking ability. Creates lots of space for smaller teammates and makes everyone braver. Very raw defensively.

73 Responses to "OILERS AT 63: JUJHAR KHAIRA"

1. russ99 says:

Seriously, whatever room they have Stu locked up in, let him out!!

2. DBO says:

Yep. Tambo had taken over this draft

3. cc says:

I can’t believe that they passed over Matt Finn AND Tim Bozon. This is a complete mess.

4. Maverick says:

another combine invite.

5. Downright Fierce says:

Toonces wasn’t kidding when he said that they think the Org is flush with D prospects. Going hard after these PF types.

Leaving a lot of talent on the board today…

This is the Cam Abney, Troy Hesketh portion of the draft. Hopefully the suits go home for the next pick. Honestly these are picks chasing Lucic, can’t really say much more.

7. fuzzy muppet says:

these are desperation picks in place where you can still get skilled players.

Edmonton’s draft grade has gone from an A to C- in two picks…

8. Traktor says:

DBO:
    Yep. Tambo had taken over this draft

yawn

9. russ99 says:

I wonder if MacT is somewhat behind our second day coke machine draft…

10. Ben says:

The Malevolent Bastard

Yes, all three kids Edmonton has taken so far this weekend are on the combine list.

12. Captain Obvious says:

Retarded Monkeys. That’s what they are. Personally, I blame the scouts.

Bergeron, on the other hand, is doing very well.

13. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

Ugh. Hard to watch.

14. Traktor says:

Stu is magnificent until you don’t agree with the pick and then its Tambellini overruling him?

Come on.

15. Zack says:

I’m not sure how they could have passed on Bozon with this pick from everything I’ve read. And the Red Wings drafted Frk, with some time they give their prospects I think it could be a hell of a pick.

16. Maverick says:

I was hoping for an another Esa on our team. Dallas drafted Esa Lindell.

17. russ99 says:

Has Nick Ebert gone yet? I could see them risking one of the 3rd rounders on him.

Kid was consensus top 10 last year, but fell way off due to inconsistency. And he’s a right handed defenseman.

18. fuzzy muppet says:

They don’t understand value AT ALL.

These picks would have been better served being trade for actual players.

What is going on in Edmonton???

19. DBO says:

Also both guys LW. guess all about need.

20. PunjabiOil says:

Well I guess his nickname will be PunjabiOil.

21. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

Does anyone have any confidence in this management group to sign the right FA’s or make any successful trades to improve?

22. Maverick says:

Next pick, another coke machine or a defenseman? How about LW Prokhorkin?

23. mike.c33 says:

A big power forward going to play NCAA hockey at 63rd overall doesn’t seem like a huge mistake…

24. Henry says:

I hope they can save this with some 6’6″ Moldovan defenseman.

No Finn, No Thrower, No Aberg. Those are assets; you can pick up the Kharias after college if they are any good just like Tremblay.

25. skidplate says:

Maybe Troy Donnay 6-7 180 lb Dmanfrom Erie OHL

It’s back to the Coke machines. EDM has clearly decided they have enough D bubbling under and the skill spots are taken, sooooooooooo it’s coke machines. Still talent left, incredibly.

27. Maverick says:

russ99:

Worth a risk, god knows they have risked a bunch in the last 2 picks.

PunjabiOil:
    Well I guess his nickname will be PunjabiOil.

Well that’s just flat out hilarious.

29. Henry says:

If they didn’t want to address the D, why did they pass on Bozon? Twice. If they need a banger, JFJ is available.

30. Captain Obvious says:

From the Journal article: Khaira is expected to go somewhere in the seventh round.

This is why draft picks should be traded. The people using the draft picks don’t know what they are doing.

From now on, every trade the Oilers make that involves them sending away a draft pick is a good trade.

31. Downright Fierce says:

WIllis sez RLR had Khaira as one of their biggest sleeper picks in the draft. Reason for hope, I suppose. Still seems a little early.

Fingers crossed for another one of Stu’s bizarro tall trees from darkest Slovakia in the deep rounds.

32. SteadyEd says:

I like it. We’re OK in net. A bridge to our D prospects will be built with free agents. Lots of high end skill for years to come.
    Our need is Line 3&4 toughness and size.

33. jonrmcleod says:

“At Red Line, we believe this kid could be the biggest/best sleeper of the entire draft.”

34. skidplate says:

Or Dane Fox Center 6′-0 185 lbs London and Erie OHL. 62 gms 23 goals 31 assists 87 PIMS.

35. eidy says:

7 goalies so far in rd 3. Wow. The year of the d and we have no d so far

36. russ99 says:

SteadyEd:
    I like it.We’re OK in net.A bridge to our D prospects will be built with free agents.Lots of high end skill for years to come.
    Our need is Line 3&4 toughness and size.

Good point.

But I was hoping for more projectable talent here, and then seeing the Oilers pick up some of the myriad experienced $1-2M third liners in the FA market as needed.

That’s all good, but the Oilers are passing on skill to draft guys who are big and might work out. Is this pick hufely differet from Geoff Paukovich? I’d say Paukovich was a better prospect

38. Captain Obvious says:

SteadyEd:
    Our need is Line 3&4 toughness and size.

No team “needs” third and fourth line players. They play them because they don’t have anyone better. You should never, ever, ever, ever, draft a fourth line player. Fourth line players are free every offseason. Teams that intentionally draft fourth line players are incompetent.

39. Nail and Nuge says:

Stu is losing some shine in this draft. Team Memo sent by Tambo:

“LA won the cup. They had size. We need size. Every pick must be over 6’2″. Forget skill (if you must, pick Yakupov unless Griffin is around)”- signed Tambo

40. PunjabiOil says:

He was at the combine and impressed. I think he was projected to go in the third round in some places.

Bozon would have been the better pick though.

I’m more mad at the 2nd round selection. Deplorable.

41. oilersfan says:

Despite all the gnashing of teeth here I am ok with these two picks.

Clearly the Oilers would have preferred Samuellson at 32, but they really wanted a power forward.

One thing you folks are overlooking is how stacked our prospects are at D. Remember this year when the Oilers didn’t even offer Blain a contract? They don’t have room for him in the AHL or on the 50 man list. Over the next 3 years the Oilers will still have Marincin, Gernat, Musil, Simpson and Bigos on the AHL team. Ahead of them are Plante and Teubert. I don’t know where Matt Finn fits in but is he much better than Jeremie Blain?

As for Moroz, I heard Bob Green on the pipeline show in March and he said he thought Moroz had a good chance to be a SECOND LINE NHL player. He reminded him of Lucic, and he got NO PP time in the WHL last year. With the various players graduating this year look for Moroz to be on the PP and get closer to a point per game.

That being said, I would have preferred Sutter or Sissons but am not surprised by thiis at all. They really wanted him and thought he would go before 62 so what else are they supposed to do?

Lets not forget that 4 seasons later its not like Lander is going to be an impact NHL player. 3 years later Pitlick and Hamilton are still going to be getting established as AHL players. Anybody they didn’t pick today is 3-4 years away from being a bottom 6 forward or bottom pairing dman so they picked somebody who can do that and fight.

Both of these guys are much better than Cam Abney.

42. eidy says:

Captain Obvious,

Not defending the pick, but it said somewhere in the middle of the 7 round draft. Not 7th round

43. skidplate says:

Logan Nelson Center 6-1″ 180 lbs Victoria WHL 71 games, 23 goals 39 assists, 70PIMS. Hard nosed physical with flashes of offense. Good skater, but sporadic compete level

44. fuzzy muppet says:

Captain Obvious,

ding, ding, ding.

You are correct. It’s like Stu forgot what he was doing.

I think they are still thrown that they “had” to take the BPA at #1.

45. gd says:

Personally, I love this pick. Late birthday, growth spurt, BCHL has had a lot of late bloomers lately (Benn, Schultz). He scored enough that he is not a Abney like coke machine.

46. Downright Fierce says:

Zharkov, McCabe, Vail– interesting guys left from Bob’s Top 60

47. Downright Fierce says:

Ha! Zharkov. I like this one!

48. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

this coverage is annoying. they talk over the actual picks as they are happening

Captain Obvious: No team “needs” third and fourth line players.They play them because they don’t have anyone better.You should never, ever, ever, ever, draft a fourth line player.Fourth line players are free every offseason.Teams that intentionally draft fourth line players are incompetent.

Sam Pollock drafted Doug Risebrough in the 1st round. Bob Gainey in the first round. Dave Hunter in the first round. Traded for Doug Jarvis who was drafted in the 1st round before Pollock as able to draft him.

50. fuzzy muppet says:

Now THIS is a good pick. Zharkov has real good ability.

51. skidplate says:

Zharkov sounds like a good pick. Goal scorer

52. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Traktor:

Come on.

^ this

53. Maverick says:

Today’s draft is going faster than some of my Yahoo fantasy drafts. Just sayin’

54. russ99 says:

Zharkov seems more like a Stu pick. Maybe the coke machine run is over and he’s back at the controls.

55. oilersfan says:

Lowetide you think Paukovich is better than Khaira? Give me a brealk. Khaira had better stats than Riley Nash in the same junior league Nash played in, but is big and tough, and drafted in the third round. He has more than a point per game, these stats aren’t much off Colbourne in the AJHL in his draft year.

Paukovich got around 15 points in 40 ncaa games his senior year.

I don’t see why any of you are complaining about this pick.

56. fuzzy muppet says:

Now they can think about going after guys like Moroz.

Not with what essentially is a late 1st rounder.. Awful

57. DeadmanWaking says:

Apparently, the best mushrooms grow in the back yard, behind the woodshed. Sounds like a good kid, though, under C for cultivate, which is not what I was hoping for.

Message to Linus Omark: platform skates (via Metal Sludge if the image link breaks).

58. mike.c33 says:

All I wanted was Yakupov. Beyond that, the Oilers could use dice to select the rest of their draft picks for all I care.

59. Traktor says:

oilersfan:
    Lowetide you think Paukovich is better than Khaira? Give me a brealk. Khaira had better stats than Riley Nash in the same junior leagueNash played in

lol

LT had Nash as our #1 prospect for a while too.

Haters gonna hate.

60. gd says:

Is there a list of the unsigned 2010 draft picks? I know Chicago didn’t sign one of their 2nd rd picks, Calagry didn’t sign Leach and of course Blain. I don’t think any of them had been picked yet. Blain not being picked tells me they made the right call on not signing him.

61. SteadyEd says:

Captain Obvious,

3rd and 4th line players are very much ‘needed’ on any competitive team. I don’t think that plugging holes via free agency works very well either. Home-grown bottom half guys are the truest of employees. Moroz will play for the Oilers for a long-long time.

62. FastOil says:

The kicker for me is whatever management structure exists in reality, it can’t make deals. “We tried to trade up blah blah blah”. It pisses me off that we see movement at reasonable cost or less and it’s never the Oilers.

If they wanted a power forward at least go for the best one. They should have made the move up happen and drafted Samuelsson. Then liquidated all of the nearly no chance later round picks for another second, draft the best talent still on the board and it’s happy hour.

63. Chris says:

So did Kevin Lowe briefly seize power and get Pendergrast on the phone as the trip to the Coke Machine warehouse is trip down memory lane.

64. skidplate says:

SteadyEd,

Agreed. BUT we could of tried to trade and get a later 2nd round pick to get him. I guess is comes back to trusting your board, right?

65. denny33 says:

SteadyEd,

At the 32nd overall????????????

66. SteadyEd says:

skidplate,

And trusting your gut. Tambillini and co. are drafting the BPA according to organizational need regardless of what the ‘experts’ say.

67. SteadyEd says:

denny33,

Sure-if you can fill a spot on the big club for years to come. I think they did.

68. gogliano says:

gd:

Also love this pick but wasn’t enamored with the #2.

Underscouted and late riser. By the third round you’re looking for homeruns and this has looking for a homerun all over it.

69. copperblueandwhite says:

This is a better pick than Moroz imo…but c’mon.

70. CrazyCoach says:

Prince George is not that far off the beaten path, and believe it or not we have a WHL team and a BCHL team. For those of you who are not aware, the BCHL is considered one of the top junior A leagues in the country.

Saw this kid play this year and liked what I saw. A couple years playing college hockey will do him good. My impression is that he is correct on his foot speed, which needs work. Wide track skater with a powerful stride and utilizes his size well. Wins the majority of battles on the boards. Plays very intense and could be considered tough on a team that many consider soft. Former assistant coach of mine is an assistant with the Kings and said he was surprised at the kids intelligence and ability to learn. Has tons of mental toughness and playing for the Kings is not easy as your nearest opponent is a seven hour bus ride away.

H’e hardly what I would call a coke machine.

71. Bank Shot says:

Fun fact: Khaira scored 5 less points(79) this season then Riley Nash (84) did in his draft year.

What does it mean? I dunno, but he’s probably better then Abney.