OILERS QUALIFY 7

The Edmonton Oilers qualified seven players today and set free two more. At least one player who was qualified today is unlikely to play another game for the Oilers.

1. Sam Gagner: No-brainer, he’s either the 2line C or a prime trade asset for the saviour blue. Gagner could be very expensive next contract so I hope they buy some years with this one.
  2. Jeff Petry: Perhaps the most important player on the list, Petry’s importance to this team is obvious. One of only two effective puck movers available for top 4 duty, Petry is going to play big minutes over the next few years.
  3. Devan Dubnyk: Solid young goaltender will get a raise and like Gagner it is probably good business to sign him long term. The Oilers shouldn’t get too fancy with the deal, but today’s contract in Winnipeg tells us goaltenders can be overpaid in a hurry.
  4. Theo Peckham: I believe this is the right call, a young man trying to learn the difficult position of defense in a town that is pretty damn hard on them.
  5. Alex Plante: This is proof that he’s made strides in the AHL under Todd Nelson. Plante’s footspeed is still a concern but based on reports this player improved his consistency in all areas. I don’t know that he’s an NHL player but the Oilers run through defensemen quickly each season.
  6. Chris VandeVelde: He keeps hanging around the pro roster, never able to pass the NHL vets but always able to show well enough when called up due to injury. I think he’s in a pretty good spot depending on how this summer shakes out. If the Oilers decide to keep Lander in the AHL, VandeVelde will be the first recall option (all things being equal).
  7. Linus Omark:  Talented player qualified because they want to retain his rights. I expect they’ll watch him fly to Europe over the summer and Omark may be a topic of discussion a year from now.

Not qualified were Cam Barker and Hunter Tremblay. Barker’s contract number made it impossible to qualify him, and I would guess he’ll join Omark in Europe in an effort to regain an NHL contract in the future. Hunter Tremblay showed well–especially on the PK–and I think there’s a chance the OKC Barons try to sign him to an AHL only deal. He is certainly a capable player at that level.

137 Responses to "OILERS QUALIFY 7"

1. fuzzy muppet says:

LT you forgot me so Chorney!

2. Traktor says:

Peter Mueller wasn’t qualified today.

He scored 22 goals, 54 points in his rookie season (higher than Sam Gagner’s career high).

In two seasons with Colorado with scored 36 points in 47 games (62 points over 82 games).

Tambellini could have traded a 6th round pick for him and qualified him.

Mueller has had concussion issues but Edmonton could have traded Hemmer or Gags for a D and added a young 6’2 center/rw and likely paid Paul without robbing Peter.

Opportunity missed.

Chorney didn’t have to be qualified did he? He’s in another group? No? Fracking CBA.

4. Traktor says:

Mueller career PPG: 0.56
    Gagner career PPG: 0.60

Mueller points high: 54
    Gagner points high: 49

Mueller goal high: 22
    Gagner goal high 18

Mueller 6’2, 205
    Gagner 5’10, 191

WTF

5. sliderule says:

I watched Peter a lot in Phoenix and he plays soft and is out of shape.

Peckham looks like he is way over 230 and we are not even into July .If he wants to be a hockey player he better give his head a shake.

6. Maverick says:

correct me if I am wrong but I believe Chorney is a UFA group 6?

Maverick: correct me if I am wrong but I believe Chorney is a UFA group 6?

That’s what I thought. No need to qualify, he’s headed to free agency.

Traktor:
    Peter Mueller wasn’t qualified today.

Tambellini could have traded a 6th round pick for him and qualified him.

Opportunity missed.

You only have 50 contracts. And you need to be able to ice a competent OKC team to develop your prospects. A nd you just drafted Yakupov, and upped Hemsky for two more years. Plus, you have Hartikainen and Paajarvi.

There is already basically no room at the inn for Ryan Smyth….the mentor who gripes instead of leads.

9. Traktor says:

sliderule:
    I watched Peter a lot in Phoenix and he plays soft andis out of shape.

He puts up the same numbers as Gags and is only 1 year older.

Yandle + Mueller or Gags + Potter?

I’m finally joining woodguy and the rest of the darkside. tOOOnces!

10. Maverick says:

As per Bruce’s article on the Cult of Hockey:

[EDIT: Jason Gregor reports that Chorney is actually becoming a Group 6 UNrestricted free agent, despite his relative youth (25) and inexperience (four years as a pro). The two major websites providing contract info, namely CapGeek and NHLNumbers, provide conflicting information on this particular player. So while the decision to be reached on Taylor Chorney may be the same, it's possible that today's (non-)announcement has no bearing in his case.]

they might sign him to an AHL contract or out right let him go.

I did forget Kytnar, but this group knows he’s gone so no need to fix.

12. fuzzy muppet says:

Traktor,

He’s also missed a majority of his career due to concussions.

He’s the last thing the Oilers need. More injury risks. Pass

Chorney’s out imo. He’s Tom. You’re out, Tom.

14. Ribs says:

He is a good man…

15. Traktor says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Traktor,

He’s also missed a majority of his career due to concussions.

He’s the last thing the Oilers need.More injury risks. Pass

Edmonton needs to fill holes. To do that they will need to trade away assets. Signing Mueller allows you to do fill one hole without creating another hole.

Obviously I would rather if he didn’t have concussions but you can qualify him for 1 year and there is minimal risk.

Tambellini (and other GM’s) basically said I don’t want a bigger version of Sam Gagner for free.

16. fuzzy muppet says:

Traktor,

I guess I was referring to REPLACING Gagner with Meuller. Waaaay to much risk. If they sign him and keep Gagner then fine.

17. Gret99zky says:

Will Omark try to light it up on the farm next year or is he Fredo?

18. mike.c33 says:

I have mixed feelings about qualifying Peckham. He looked decent on the PK but also seemed to cause a lot of chaos at evens; I don’t remember Bruce or Jon giving him any glowing game grades over at the Cult of Hockey. The Oilers need roster / contract slots for better players and I was hoping Peckham and Barker would be replaced with real NHL D-men.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Thank goodness Gary (Cam Barker) is gone. No more:

“Hustle off the ice, Gary!!”

“C’mon Gary… again!”

“What are doing flopping around down there Gary… get up!!!”

“Pivot and turn before you try to go the other way… for Christ’s Sake, Gary… C’mon!!”

20. Traktor says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Traktor,

I guess I was referring to REPLACING Gagner with Meuller.Waaaay to much risk. If they sign him and keep Gagnerthen fine.

Who are you trading to acquire a defender?

21. speeds says:

Interesting note for the superstitious:

Yakupov wearing Bonsignore’s number

there was a play last year–and not to be rude the NHL is an impossible league–but he got passed on the outside so badly it was comedy. No fun for Barker I’m sure, but that signing was a dart to the heart on 11-12.

23. Traktor says:

I think that’s when he tripped over the blueline if I’m thinking about the same play.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m pretty sure I know the one… he’s skating backwards (sort of and falls on his ass, right?).

Can’t find it… but this is a gem:

cuts in front of his own net under pressure, soft pass to the forchecker, no effort to take the man after losing the puck… amazing combination of suck!!

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

speeds:
    Interesting note for the superstitious:

Yakupov wearing Bonsignore’s number

on twitter yesterday he said he wanted to wear #100… haha!!

26. Jonathan Willis says:

@ Traktor:

I like Mueller, but he’s not a centre. He took 10 faceoffs this year, and 54 in 2009-10.

He can fill a spot, but not Gagner’s.

27. Mr DeBakey says:

And you just drafted Yakupov, and upped Hemsky for two more years. Plus, you have Hartikainen and Paajarvi.

Don’t forget Abney & Martindale!

28. DBO says:

Jonathan Willis,
    Does he fill a need on LW with Smyth added as well? He has size, yes concussion issues, but if he allows MPS and Harsky to start in the minors then it may be an OK gamble. He can score, and may fit our 2nd line for cheap.

29. Ducey says:

Traktor:
    Mueller career PPG: 0.56
    Gagner career PPG: 0.60

Mueller points high: 54
    Gagner points high: 49

Mueller goal high: 22
    Gagner goal high 18

Mueller 6’2, 205
    Gagner 5’10, 191

WTF

Dude missed the entire 10-11 season with a concussion. Then he played 3 games to strart 11-12 and then missed all his games until midseason with more concussion problems. He then got 16 pts in 32 games. He was healthy scratched for two games in March because his coach thought he sucked and then got hurt again.

Behind the net says he played the 4th hardest comp among COL centres (8th hardest among forwards) and wound up with -2.3 Rel Corsi. Hardly inspiring.

On top of that, why would you trade for him when you can sign him as a FA after running what’s left of his brain through a few dozen tests?

Is that WTF enough for you? :)

30. Traktor says:

Jonathan Willis:
    @ Traktor:

He can fill a spot, but not Gagner’s.

Mueller played center in junior and took 251 draws in his rookie year in the the NHL. I don’t think moving to center would be that huge of a transition. Hall’s name has been thrown out as a potential center moving forward and he hasn’t played any center at the NHL and played mostly LW in junior.

Mueller probably wouldn’t be very good at winning draws but neither is Gagner.

Maybe you move Hemsky instead.. either way.. opportunity missed imo

31. hags9k says:

I hear you GODOT about Smytty. Everyone thinks he has been/is going to be such a great mentor for the kids but is anybody factoring in the significance of what he’s showing them now? How to milk every last single red cent they can on every contract. We are fucked the minute one of the kids pulls this shit. Anybody know if any of our young 4 stars share that same agent? Is it Meehan? We need the Detroit Lidstrom model, not this BS.

Seriously? You fucking guys. Ryan Smyth isn’t perfect but he is worthy of a lot more respect than Oiler fans are showing now. Oilers are winning the PR war but that guy bled copper and blue for you.

33. DBO says:

Agreed LT. Smyth actually wanted to come here. he may gripe about not enough PP time (which I agree with considering how much Horc got). If we roll the mythical 3 scoring lines, then Smyth will be happy.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    UFA vet/Harsky-Nuge-Eberle
    Smyth-Horc-Yakupov (yes I know, I know, but it gives this line some scoring and protects the kid with some vets to watch the D side. If you don’t like it, switch Hemsky with Yak and run 2 kid lines and the vet tough minutes line)

34. Bar_Qu says:

I’m not so sure I enjoy Traktor tilting at Gagner better than his tilting at he-who-shall-not-be-named.

I figured with former’s demise a sense of sanity might take hold of him abd he woukd mellow into a happy retirement. More an Eastwood in Gran Torino than the crazy old guy shouting abuse at unsuspecting passer-bys.

“hey you kids! His PPG is only comparable to third-rate wanna-be’s! Now get off my lawn!”

The Gagner, Dubnyk and Petry QO’s are the only imp ones. But it would be good to see if Peckman can gat some mojo back this next yr.

35. Traktor says:

Ducey: Dude missed the entire 10-11 season with a concussion.Then he played 3 games to strart 11-12 and then missed all his games until midseason with more concussion problems.He then got 16 pts in 32 games.He was healthy scratched for two games in March because his coach thought he sucked and then got hurt again.

Behind the net says he played the 4th hardest comp among COL centres (8th hardest among forwards) and wound up with -2.3 Rel Corsi.Hardly inspiring.

Is that WTF enough for you?

I’m not the biggest BTN fan but Gagner’s been facing noobs his entire career and seldom starts in the defensive zone.

I would’ve traded for him because I don’t think he would pick Edmonton out of 29 teams and it allows you to move a forward for a defensemen. Mueller isn’t the greatest player but I doubt Edmonton will sign anyone better if they trade Hemmer/Gags for help on D.

36. Bar_Qu says:

I’m stunned that you are stunned at how quickly the worm turned on Smyth.

There is a psychotropic agent added to the water by the Oilers that gets the population to turn on fan favourites the moment they want them to.

I’m fairly disgusted with most Oiler fans’ treatment of players going back the Souray debacle

37. DSF says:

This.

Twice.

Take a look at Smyth’s post lockout numbers compared to Hemsky’s.

One guy, after an absolutely disastrous season, gets $5M x2

The other guys gets a kick in the fucking teeth.

Jeebus.

38. Traktor says:

Bar_Qu:

Maybe I’m the only one with a little bit of foresight but..

1. Free agents don’t sign in Edmonton (good ones).

2. Edmonton has limited assets to acquire a good D unless they move one of the kids.

3. Management has stated they want to improve.

Linus Omark isn’t going to bring us back a top 4 D.

I’ll tell you what. I’ll never mention Gagner or Hemsky again if you guys never call for management to add a top 4 defender.

And before it gets brought up Michalek had a NTC.

39. bookje says:

LT – as a frequent defender of ST and Lowe, I fully agree with you here. I am pretty disappointed in the comments and attitude regarding Smyth. Smitty deserves some respect. I would bet he had no frustration playing behind the kids, but was probably a bit miffed at playing behind Belanger at times.

The same team offered this 36 year old a 2 year bleeding contract at over $2MM/yr to stay in the same city where he wants to be.

Gift Horse, meet mouth.

Tell Meehan to shut the fuck up and just sign the goddam contract.

Traktor: Hemsky missed 108 the last 3 seasons, produced only 0.52 PPG compared to Mueller’s 0.5PPG and was rewarded with 10M over 2 seasons.

I’m not the biggest BTN fan butGagner’s been facing noobs his entire career and seldom starts in the defensive zone.

Shoulders can be repaired, concussed brains are a mystery to the smartest people studying them.

Mueller is the wrong hill to die on.

42. Bar_Qu says:

Traktor,

Just to clarify, I figure with a reasonable set of 3-6 D, the Oilers can make some noise this season. I don’t think Suter, Garrison or any other big-name D out there is needed. Just a solid positional guy and one with an offensive upside to go with his defensive warts. Pair them with what is there, keep Potter and Pecks as waiver risk call-ups, and let the offense carry the team (and never let NK play net -seriously. ask him to claim sprained spleen and LTIR him for the year). NJ got through with that type of D, so did Carolina a few years ago. It is not a bad plan for the upcoming year, then you bring up some kids from time to time to see if they have the chops to play next year.

I think those type of 4-6 D are available for MPS and picks or could be enticed as UFAs.

Thanks for the clarification on Michalek. I was wrong on him.

And I’m getting off the lawn now. ;-)

43. DSF says:

Woodguy: And Smyth should be goddam happy that the team in the city where his wife wants to live took him back last year and paid him his $4.5MM

Gift Horse, meet mouth.

Tell Meehan to shut the fuck up and just sign the goddam contract.

If a player’s wife does want to live in Edmonton, screw him too.

44. Traktor says:

In the last 10 years Edmonton’s 3 best UFA signings were Sheldon Souray, Petr Sykora, and Steve Staios and I think Staois might have been claimed off waivers.

Its quite sad, actually.

Gift Horse, meet mouth.

Tell Meehan to shut the fuck up and just sign the goddam contract.

I’ll say this: the Ryan Smyth situation should serve as fair warning to these young Oilers. Don’t turn 35 in Dodge City!

46. DSF says:

In other news…Stoll signs a new 3 year contract with the Kings.

47. bookje says:

Gift Horse, meet mouth.

Tell Meehan to shut the fuck up and just sign the goddam contract.

We know this because Trina told us, or was it Stauffer?

Look, why don’t we let things play out before we start crucifying people. Smyth and the Oilers are making a business deal. Sometimes these things take time. If Smyth was in the press dising the Oilers than fine, criticize him, but don’t besmirch the guys reputation based on rumour and innuendo.

48. Bar_Qu says:

Lowetide: Happy? For God’s sake, he had to get himself traded here! And Renney ran him like a rented mule for the first 30 games and then people turn on the guy for running out of gas? come on. Detroit treats Bertuzzi better and he’s not even one of them.

Amen

49. Traktor says:

Woodguy:

Mueller is the wrong hill to die on.

Mueller + Gagner return >>> Gagner

Even is Mueller was a complete bust if Gagner was traded for equal value on D then they wouldn’t take a step back.

If you have a better bet than Mueller I would to hear it. Hopefully its not a UFA because I just went over Edmonton’s success rate in that area.

50. DSF says:

Just thought I might re-iterate that Smyth’s agent, Meehan, is also Eberle’s agent,

I would think he really isn’t a guy you want to go out of your way to piss off.

51. DSF says:

Traktor: Mueller + Gagner return >>> Gagner

Making a bet on Mueller is a much, much better bet than making a wager on Cam Barker.

When healthy, the guy is a horse.

I’d sign him in a heartbeat and make Gagner earn his keep.

52. Doug McLachlan says:

bookje: We know this because Trina told us, or was it Stauffer?

Look, why don’t we let things play out before we start crucifying people.Smyth and the Oilers are making a business deal.Sometimes these things take time.If Smyth was in the press dising the Oilers than fine, criticize him, but don’t besmirch the guys reputation based on rumour and innuendo.

Amen to this.

Seriously, Smyth’s deal is not a priority at this point. From what we know, there was a one year and a two year deal offered and the Smyth camp hasn’t agreed to either at this point.

There is a fit to be made here but we have a bit of time. If someone offers him more money to re-up elsewhere then so be it. I expect him to finish his career in Copper and Blue in two years. If they catch lightning – he can do so with a Silver Mug in his mitts.

DSF: So what you’re saying is, if a player’s wife doesn’t want to live in Edmonton, screw him.

If a player’s wife does want to live in Edmonton, screw him too.

Well done.

Lowetide: come on. Detroit treats Bertuzzi better and he’s not even one of them.

DET treats Bert the same.

He just signs the contract and doesn’t drag it out forever.

Traktor,

I don’t have a better answer than Mueller, but he’s not the answer.

Its like calling Whitney the answer for 1st pairing puck moving D.

Sure, if he drinks the water at Lourds and grows new tendons.

DSF:

I would think he really isn’t a guy you want to go out of your way to piss off.

And ruin all the lovey dovey history between Meehan and the Oilers?

bookje: We know this because Trina told us, or was it Stauffer?

I’m not crucifying him.

I saying any other 36 year old gets offered a 2 year contract and Tambellini gets burned in effigy.

It gets offered to Smyth and everyone is afraid it hurts his feelings.

58. striatic says:

Edmonton also doesn’t have any tough minutes LWs after Smyth anyway.

Hall. period.

that’s it, and people are talking about moving him to C!

Smyth is old, and i have no idea what his demands are but if you can sign him for 2 years even if it is a bit of an overpay you do it.

call it “filling an organizational need”

59. DSF says:

striatic:
    Edmonton also doesn’t have any tough minutes LWs after Smyth anyway.

Hall. period.

that’s it, and people are talking about moving him to C!

call it “filling an organizational need”

Yep.

2 years @$4M hurts no one and does the organization a world of good.

60. Maverick says:

As for Smyth this team and this community could still use is heart and soul personality, nice to have a guy who loves the city of Edmonton and this community!!

The contract will get signed when Ryan realizes he’s nearing the end and can still be part of something special for a couple years.

I for one say this team is better with him as a 3rd liner than without him.

61. bookje says:

Hey, do any of you guys have a van? A few of us are getting together to go chop up and burn Smyths’s furniture tonight. Don’ t forget your hatchet Woodguy.

Woodguy,

Oh Lordy.

Hey kids don’t turn 38 in Anaheim, even if you’re Teemu, they’ll only offer you a 2 year deal worth $2.65/yr.

Oh no, I’d hate to work for an organization that would offer me a two year deal when its in their best interest not too.

The bastards!!!

bookje:
    Hey,do any of you guys have a van? A few of us are getting together to go chop up and burn Smyths’s furniture tonight.Don’ t forget your hatchet Woodguy.

Awesome.

I don’t think a 37 year old is worth $4MM and I’m the devil.

64. bookje says:

Woodguy: I’m not crucifying him.

It gets offered to Smyth and everyone is afraid it hurts his feelings.

65. Captain Obvious says:

Check out these quotes from Pavelec’ agent.

“”Let’s say Carey Price is at 7 years and $6 million a year. Devan Dubnyk’s going to hit $3 million. Tuukka Rask is going to hit $3 million. Cory Schneider is going to hit $3 million. There’s a new wave of goalies taking over No. 1 starting jobs in the NHL from the older guard. Between those goalies, statistically and in experience at a No. 1 goalie, Pavs should be slotted under Price,” said Walsh.

“The question was how far he should be slotted under Price; but he should be slotted ahead of Dubnyk, Schneider and Rask. That’s the essence of the negotiation.”

If I’m a GM and an agent tries to sell me on this nonsense I tell him to pound sand. I don’t care how many games Pavelec has played he isn’t in the same galaxy as Schneider or Rask.

It also seems like the Jets had to up the annual value in order to add years to the contract. That has the economic rationale exactly backwards. For economically rational people, the longer the contract the lower the annual salary. A longer contract transfers risk onto the team. The only reason for them to accept that risk is in exchange for a lower annual value.

There is also this misguided notion that RFA contracts need to be comparable to what other players are getting. There is no economic reason that one GM should be beholden to the mistakes of others.

The biggest weakness of NHL general managers is their unwillingness to take players in RFA contracts to arbitration. They don’t seem to understand the uncertainty of future performance and the nature of risk. It’s like everyone assumes that players only get better. General managers should go year-to-year with all their RFA’s and only sign longer term contracts if they are getting a discount. You have the leverage. Use it.

There is no excuse to sign a player to a bad RFA contract and yet teams do so all the time.

Somewhere up there is a post saying 2 years at $4M per for Smyth. We need to make sure that we’re talking about “reasonable” here. 2 times 2.4 or something? That’s pretty reasonable, no? Or I year at $2.7?

67. striatic says:

Hall Gagner Hemsky
    Smyth Horcoff Yakupov
    Jones RNH Eberle

or

Hall Gagner Hemsky
    PRV Horcoff Yakupov
    Jones RNH Eberle

or

sign or trade for some other LW

i mean really, there’s a huge hole at LW if Smyth leaves. all sentimentality aside, if you are saying don’t sign him, you need to suggest an alternative.

68. bookje says:

Woodguy: Awesome.

I don’t think a 37 year old is worth $4MM and I’m the devil.

I actually don’t really disagree with you regarding the contract. I just think we should wait for the contract or the public statement. The hatchet comment was meant in ‘good fun’ and was, in part, tied to your username.

69. DSF says:

Woodguy: Awesome.

I don’t think a 37 year old is worth $4MM and I’m the devil.

Berttuzzi:

14G 24A 38P

SHTOI/G 0:00

2 year deal @$2.075M

Smyth:

19G 27A 46P

SHTOI/G 2:28

One of these is not like the other.

DSF: Yep.

2 years @$4M hurts no one and does the organization a world of good.

Smyth had 6pts in his last 20 games playing on the 3rd line, same role he’d play next year.

Lowetide: We need to make sure that we’re talking about “reasonable” here. 2 times 2.4 or something? That’s pretty reasonable, no? Or I year at $2.7?

He supposedly turned down 2yrs at $2.25 per.

72. DSF says:

The amount of money is almost irrelevant to the Oilers.

The problem with the team’s salary structure is that Horcoff is getting paid $5.5M and Hemsky $5M and Smyth contributes more than both of them.

Grinding Smyth under those circumstances is just stupid.

Woodguy: He supposedly turned down 2yrs at $2.25 per.

I hadn’t read that.

DSF: Berttuzzi:

14G 24A 38P

SHTOI/G 0:00

2 year deal @$2.075M

Smyth:

19G 27A 46P

SHTOI/G 2:28

One of these is not like the other.

PPTOI
    Bert 1.41
    Smyth 2.28

Bert 5v5 pts 34pts
    Smyth 5v5 pts 38pts

Bert 5v5 pts/60 2.06
    Smyth 5v5 pts/60 1.93

Squint harder, they’re very close.

75. DSF says:

Woodguy: Weren’t you one of the people saying Horcoff’s contract set a bad precedent for how the other players want to be paid?

How many points did Horcoff have in the last 20 games?

The answer is FOUR.

Horcoff also finished the season with a sparkling -23.

Despite playing the toughs, Smyth finished at -5.

Lowetide: I hadn’t read that.

Me neither.

Gregor was throwing it around one day saying “I hear they offered…..”

Its probably close.

77. DSF says:

Woodguy: PPTOI
    Bert 1.41
    Smyth 2.28

Bert 5v5 pts 34pts
    Smyth 5v5 pts 38pts

Bert 5v5 pts/60 2.06
    Smyth 5v5 pts/60 1.93

Squint harder, they’re very close.

But he doesn’t.

78. striatic says:

i think something like 2 years at 3 million per for Smyth would be generous.

2 years at 2 million per would be too low.

1 year at 3.5 would be generous.

1 year at 2.5 would be too low.

i think we end up at something like 2 years, 3 million per year. ultimately.

DSF: How many points did Horcoff have in the last 20 games?

The answer is FOUR.

Horcoff also finished the season with a sparkling -23.

Despite playing the toughs, Smyth finished at -5.

Losing an argument?

WHORECOFF TO THE RESUCE!!!

DSF: Sure they are…as long as Bert spends more than 2 minutes a night busting his gut killing penalties.

But he doesn’t.

That’s why you offer Smyth $500K more per year.

Duh.

81. DSF says:

Woodguy: That’s why you offer Smyth $500K more per year.

Duh.

Thing is…Bert is NOT a comparable in the Oilers salary structure…Horcoff and Hemsky are.

Smyth outperformed both of them last season.

DUH.

82. csimpson18 says:

DSF: Berttuzzi:

14G 24A 38P

SHTOI/G 0:00

2 year deal @$2.075M

Smyth:

19G 27A 46P

SHTOI/G 2:28

One of these is not like the other.

SHTOI takes a back-back-back-baaaaaackseat to production in contract negotiations. Smyth is not worth that much more than Bertuzzi. I love the guy and I’d offer him 1year/3mil or 2years/2.5.

83. DSF says:

Woodguy: Losing an argument?

WHORECOFF TO THE RESUCE!!!

I think you lost the argument Woody.

Smyth outperformed Horcoff by any measure.

You wanted to pin Smyth down for his production over the last 20 games and he outperformed Horcoff by 50% while playing a similar role.

One is paid $5.5M and the other can’t get a contract.

Go figure.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wow… Smyth-o-rama!!

I don’t question his heart, dedication, skill, or otherwise.

He’s a valued asset on paper and so much more in his character (there’s that word again! haha)

Sign him. Get it done.

Obviously he’s got to recognize (like Hemsky did) that his role on the team is different with the kids around and he can’t command the kind of salary he once did. Also, obviously, if he is being wildly unreasonable… he’ll have to go. But if it is a pittance like last time… sign him.

85. DSF says:

csimpson18: Methinks the one that’s not like the others is the three letter name at the top of the post.

SHTOI takes a back-back-back-baaaaaackseat to production in contract negotiations.Smyth is not worth that much more than Bertuzzi.I love the guy and I’d offer him 1year/3mil or 2years/2.5.

Ad hominen attacks have nothing to do with Smyth’s comparative worth.

Let Hemsky take on Smyth’s PKTOI and I think you might be surprised at the results.

Killing penalties has great value.

86. DSF says:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Hawks interested in Hemsky, who has a verbal NM with Lowe for the first yr of his contract A P G

87. striatic says:

the other thing that gets me is this whole “Smyth is blocking the development of the kids!” angle.

how?

let’s look at LW

Hall, Smyth, Jones, Eager

Jones can and should be playing up and down the lineup based on injury, but the guy is totally capable of playing on the 4th line regularly, since he’ll get his ice time on the PK no matter what. so why don’t we say that Eager is holding up a spot by forcing Jones up to the third line?

and next season with Yakupov changing the line by line dynamic – something i love about his selection – we may see a “3rd” line of blank, RNH, Eberle to take the soft minutes. put PRV or Harti on such a line and it isn’t like there won’t be talent to help them develop.

88. uni says:

DSF: The answer is FOUR.

There are four lights!

Um…goal lights. Doesn’t matter with Meehan though, that man will claw, scratch, and kill for every last dime he can get. In other words he’s an agent.

89. Dipstick says:

Smyth, one year 3 mil with lots of bonuses. Why are they even discussing anything longer considering his age and the future cap issues for the team?

90. SpotTheLoon says:

These are the sorts of discussions that really frustrate me as an Oilers fan. People say that players won’t come to Edmonton, etc, etc. Yet when you have someone like Smyth, who essentially engineered his own trade back to Edmonton, people complain that he is past his best-before date and is holding the kids back. As Alan noted earlier, yeah, Smyth did start to run out of gas in the second half of the season. But that was because he was overplayed in the first half. How on earth can anyone criticize a guy who went above and beyond and did what the coach asked in the first half of the season? It’s nuts. To turn around and disingenuously state that he is over the hill then and shouldn’t be resigned is brutal.

Smyth has shown a lot of loyalty to this team and the fans. Loyalty is a two way street. To turn around and to give someone the shiv on the way out the door does not go unnoticed by others.

Can Smyth play a leading role of 20+ minutes a night for the Oilers? No. But he can still make a solid contribution both on and off the ice. If the team has to go up to around $3 million on a one year deal, fine. It isn’t like there are cap issues for the team right now. And if the team wants to instill that culture of winning, Smyth, through his tremendous work ethic, can be part of the solution.

91. uni says:

Ah, there are so many ways the infowebs have enriched our lives…I’m not sure that youtube ‘ballad’ is one of them though.

92. bookje says:

DSF:
    Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

No such thing as a verbal NM agreement – No way that a player, agent or GM(ish) would agree to that in 2012, no way. Forget it.

93. gogliano says:

I’d love to see Smyth sign a one year contract, even a substantial overpay (3.5?), with a gentleman’s agreement that he’ll get another contract if he can earn himself one with his play. He started out like gangbusters but did seem to tire so if this is about fairness as opposed to simply $$$–and a concern for fairness or just compensation has always seemed to be the message coming out of the Smyth camp, way back to the 100k–why not take the 1 year contract?

I hope he is back for the year but a two-year contract starts to mess with this team’s salary structure if it for significant dollars and Smyth seems to be pressing for that (or he would have signed by now). If he wants cash and something symbolic after he is capable of contributing just add him to the growing management team. It can be a new tradition.

94. bookje says:

DSF: I think you lost the argument Woody.

Smyth outperformed Horcoff by any measure.

One is paid $5.5M and the other can’t get a contract.

Go figure.

Let me save WG the time. He doesn’t agree with Horcoff’s contract either and if he were re-signing Horcoff, he probably would give him less than Smyth. He agrees that Smyth is probably worth more than Horcoff and that Horcoff is overpaid. However, Smyth is negotiating a contract – Horcoff has one.

95. bookje says:

Given that we know nothing about what is going on. What if Smyth is saying, “look, if I am going to come back and be a 2nd line player, I want to be paid like one” and the Oilers are saying – “no, we see you as a 3rd line player” and Smyth is saying “but you played me like a second line player or even first line player against the hardest competition”.

Maybe they are waiting until the coaching hire is done to get more clarity about where the coach expects to use Smyth.

Maybe there is no drama here at all?

96. Lewko says:

DSF,

I didn’t realize Horcoff was 36 coming off a weakened season when he signed his extension. Definetly feels like an apples to oranges comparison here…

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:

Maybe there is no drama here at all?

Wasn’t it confirmed that the tried to get a deal done in the middle of the season and Smyth turned it down?

If I remember that right it certainly doesn’t mean things are effed up… but it also doesn’t Smyth and agent aren’t being a pain in the butt (which is basically their job in a contract negotiation).

bookje: Your love of all things Tambellini is getting tiring. Maybe it’s time you admit the guy isn’t perfect.

Ha! Missed that.

Well done.

99. DSF says:

uni: There are four lights!

Um…goal lights.Doesn’t matter with Meehan though, that man will claw, scratch, and kill for every last dime he can get.In other words he’s an agent.

Exactly.

That’s his job.

100. csimpson18 says:

Killing penalties has great value.

This feels like a bizzaro conversation, where you are defending the point of view that landed Horcoff his contract.

101. DSF says:

Lewko:
    DSF,

Horcoff was coming off a shoulder injury that appears to have hampered his career ever since and was more than a year away from needing a new contract.

Do you think players and agents don’t take note of that kind of lunacy?

SpotTheLoon:
    These are the sorts of discussions that really frustrate me as an Oilers fan.People say that players won’t come to Edmonton, etc, etc.Yet when you have someone like Smyth, who essentially engineered his own trade back to Edmonton, people complain that he is past his best-before date and is holding the kids back.As Alan noted earlier, yeah, Smyth did start to run out of gas in the second half of the season.But that was because he was overplayed in the first half.How on earth can anyone criticize a guy who went above and beyond and did what the coach asked in the first half of the season?It’s nuts.To turn around and disingenuously state that he is over the hill then and shouldn’t be resigned is brutal.

Smyth has shown a lot of loyalty to this team and the fans.Loyalty is a two way street.To turn around and to give someone the shiv on the way out the door does not go unnoticed by others.

Can Smyth play a leading role of 20+ minutes a night for the Oilers?No.But he can still make a solid contribution both on and off the ice.If the team has to go up to around $3 million on a one year deal, fine.It isn’t like there are cap issues for the team right now.And if the team wants to instill that culture of winning, Smyth, through his tremendous work ethic, can be part of the solution.

Sorry for throwing the thread off the rails.

Its a sore spot with me when offering a 37 year old a 2 year contract and a 3rd line role is likened to chasing him out of town.

I don’t get it, but I’ll shut up about it for a while.

104. DSF says:

csimpson18: That’s why a total of 4 players above Smyth in SHTOI make more than 2.5mil/season. And one of them is Horcoff.

Oh, I’m not defending Horcoff’s contract.

I think it was stupid then and even stupider now.

But it, and Hemsky’s new deal set precedents.

Deciding to draw the line on Smyth, who has outperformed both of them post lockout, is just ridiculous.

It’s just as inane as the first time Smyth left.

DSF: I think you lost the argument Woody.

Smyth outperformed Horcoff by any measure.

One is paid $5.5M and the other can’t get a contract.

Go figure.

Ok, done on this for real.

Sorry again.

106. gd says:

This team better be hiring a coach tomorrow if they want any chance at signing Schultz. The one other team with openings for a RD in their top 4 is Detroit. I don’t like our chances of outselling them, if our pitch is “trust us, our coach will be better than Babcock”.

107. csimpson18 says:

DSF: Oh, I’m not defending Horcoff’s contract.

I think it was stupid then and even stupider now.

But it, and Hemsky’s new deal set precedents.

It’s just as inane as the first time Smyth left.

So because the Oilers have overpaid in the past we should criticize them for not wanting to now? Damned if they do, damned if they don’t huh?

108. bookje says:

Woodguy: They offered him a contract (two actually), its not like they’ve tarred and feathered him and lashed him to a caboose.

We don’t know that. We don’t know anything. Stop listening to rumors.

109. bookje says:

Woodguy: But Smytty and Bert are damn near the same player, quit hiding behind Whorecough’s skirt.

Ok, done on this for real.

Sorry again.

Don’t be sorry – this was fun. Funner than watching DSF and newbies (who don’t know better) go at it over silly things!

110. DSF says:

gd:

That’s a huge tell.

111. DSF says:

csimpson18: So because the Oilers have overpaid in the past we should criticize them for not wanting to now?Damned if they do, damned if they don’t huh?

bookje: We don’t know that.We don’t know anything.Stop listening to rumors.

Oilers have stated they have offered him a contract.

Gregor says they have offered him two different options.

113. csimpson18 says:

DSF: So, you’re saying the Oilers got religion in the past month after Hemsky was signed to that ridiculous contract?

Neither of us are in Oiler management, we’re arguing from our own point of view. There’s no reason that Smyth should get paid much more than Bertuzzi, other than sentimentality. If he said 3.5 or I walk I’d pay it but I wouldn’t be happy and it sure as hell wouldn’t be my starting offer.

Also, to a post above: funner? really?

114. Captain Obvious says:

DSF: Oh, I’m not defending Horcoff’s contract.

I think it was stupid then and even stupider now.

But it, and Hemsky’s new deal set precedents.

It’s just as inane as the first time Smyth left.

There is no such thing as an internal salary structure. It’s an idea you’ve made up in your head. Horcoff’s contract, signed years ago, bears no relation to what the Oilers should pay Smyth.

The Oilers have to decide what they think Smyth is worth in relation to other areas they can spend their money on. Smyth has to compare what the Oilers offer to other offers they receive. If these two terms meet then they make a deal. If they don’t, they don’t. It’s that simple.

If an agent brought up Horcoff’s name in negotiations I’d tell him not to insult my intelligence and come back when he had relevant information to discuss.

115. Captain Obvious says:

The Hemsky contract was, and remains, an excellent contract. It’s a massive bargain compared to the other contracts that have been signed recently.

116. PDO says:

DSF: I think you lost the argument Woody.

Smyth outperformed Horcoff by any measure.

One is paid $5.5M and the other can’t get a contract.

Go figure.

I’m confused.

You were arguing about Bertuzzi and Smyth, and now you bring up Horcoff…. and win the argument because of Smyth versus Horcoff?

… wait what?

117. PDO says:

DSF: Oh, I’m not defending Horcoff’s contract.

I think it was stupid then and even stupider now.

But it, and Hemsky’s new deal set precedents.

It’s just as inane as the first time Smyth left.

Smyth should be kept, and should likely be offered a heavily incentive laden $4,000,000 one year deal.

That said, there are three types of players.

Ascending players.

Plateaued players.

Descending players.

Horcoff and Hemsky were identified in the second group. Smyth is blatantly in the third.

THAT is the reason there’s a difference.

DSF: Oh, I’m not defending Horcoff’s contract.

I think it was stupid then and even stupider now.

But it, and Hemsky’s new deal set precedents.

It’s just as inane as the first time Smyth left.

Actually in the HF tread on the subject the day Horcoff signed it you said:

The amount is okay…the term in just too long and you have to hope the Oiler’s medical staff has done a more thorough examination of his shoulder than they did with Souray.

If the shoulder injury is chronic, as they sometimes are, there is cause for concern.

You agreed with the amount.

Good call on the term and his shoulder though.

119. PDO says:

120. gd says:

DSF: Vancouver just declined qualifying Gragnani and Rome and only have 5 defensemen under contract.

That’s a huge tell.

I’m sensing Van is getting Garrison, and they are still a cup contender, so I don’t think they can guarantee a 21 yr old rookie top 4 minutes. In fact has there been any discussion of Fla trading Garrison’s rights for Luongp. Does Florida have any desire for Luongo?

If Van does get Schultz would Salo be a reasonable pickup for the Oil?

121. PDO says:

Wheeling Problems ‏@wheelingprobs

@Nail10_1993 .. What are your thoughts on women in yogapants?

Наиль Якупов ‏@Nail10_1993

@wheelingprobs hahhahhahaha

… I like this kid.

This kd will own the city.

123. Henry says:

DSF:
    Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Tell them “that’s nice, I’m interested in Seebrook”. Not Hjarl…

124. PDO says:

This kd will own the city.

He’s going to make the stories of Hall ravishing the cities women seem insignificant at the rate this is going.

125. Ducey says:

That’s a huge tell.

Of what? That the Kassian and Gragnani for Hogson trade is even worse than it first appeared?

126. PDO says:

Ducey: Of what?That the Kassian and Gragnani for Hogson trade is even worse than it first appeared?

MIKE GILLIS DOESN’T MAKE MISTAKES LOOK AT HOW MANY RINGS HE HAS!!!!!!!

Der…

127. Jesse says:

It just occurred to me that if Hemsky has a bounce back year after being signed in a case in which Tambellini had no choice but to sign him — and if Justin schultz signs here because of our lack of depth on the blue, Tambellini could kick this rebuild into the next level by accident….

128. PDO says:

Jesse:

Bulin could quite easily go 10-20, or worse, in 30 games and sewer any significant progress.

129. bookje says:

Jesse:

What do you mean “No choice but to sign him”? Also, you do understand that if Schultz decides to come here, it is because of what Tambellini has built here.

130. bookje says:

Prediction – Oiler fans stress immensely about the Smyth contract. After the coach is hired and a few other things are done, Smyth and the Oilers sign a contract that seems reasonable to reasonable people.

131. Doug McLachlan says:

bookje,

Yup.

132. Archie says:

LT what comes first, the fans and the team or a player. Smyth played his heart out here, with maybe the exception of last year, were it was painfully obvious that he had lost more in then a couple of steps. Smyth should know by now that the team and the fans come first and right now there is a couple of players in the minors that could help the team more then him. If anything he has hurt their development. He should of jumped at any offer the Oilers gave him. Loved to watch him play in his younger days, but maybe he should grow up and realize that he’s not a top 6 player anymore and do anything to help the team.

133. rickithebear says:

PDO: Bulin could quite easily go 10-20, or worse, in 30 games and sewer any significant progress

You are generous sir!
    based on his post christmas season, iwould expect
    a 2-21-7 record in 30 games.

Archie:

A couple of players in the minors who can help more than Smyth? Who, pray tell?

135. DSF says:

PDO: Hemsky would have gotten over $20,000,000 as a UFA from a different team, and you would be parading around what a great bet it was for them that he would bounce back.

Really?

Which team?

You have absolutely nothing to support this.

Nothing.

136. RENNAVATE says:

Not a half bad little electronic tune. I’m glad someone else thought of that episode of TNG when they saw DSF’s post.