OILERS SIGN KLEFBOM

The Edmonton Oilers added a very important piece of the future today, signing first round selection Oscar Klefbom to an entry level deal.

Klefbom’s scouting reports after he was drafted were exceptional. Red Line was crazy about him and said things like “already makes pro style passes — crisp and with touch — and excels at breaking the trap with tremendous stretch passes through the neutral zone, showing great vision.”

That’s crazy good, especially when reading the rest of the story. I am excited to see Klefbom, especially his ability to move the puck. Klefbom’s offense will tell a big story about how much Edmonton will use him. His SEL stats imply a Smid-type offensve player but the scouting reports are miles better.

Some of these kids will be leaving and Klefbom should get more prime time, but I do think the offense will tell the tale about future role. Will he be a 20+ minute a night defender like Smid, with 18 a night at evens and another 3 on the PK? Or will he add two or three minutes a night with PP duty?

I don’t think there’s much question at this point that he’s highly regarded as a prospect, but where will he line up?

I would dearly love to see the Oilers bring him over but it is unlikely to happen.   Steve Tambellini told us recently that he’s probably going to stay in the SEL another season. Here’s hoping he can approach the playing time Berglund saw in Farjestad (the graph above).

15 Responses to "OILERS SIGN KLEFBOM"

BOM!

2. Jordan says:

Klefbom Klefbom you’re a Klefbom
    You can move that puck when you need get it gone
    Klefbom Klefbom you’re my Klefbom
    And baby you can clear the zone
    baby you can clear the zone

In the style of Mr. Tom Jones’ classic, Sexbomb

3. Ducey says:

The scouting reports linked sound a lot like Petry. Lots to like.

4. gd says:

If he was two months younger he would be in this year’s draft. Where would a guy who was an All Star at the WJC, from the country where two of the top 3 young Dmen are from be slotted in this year’s draft? I’m not saying he’s going to be better than Murray, but I think there is a pretty good chance he could be better. I feel safe in saying I think Yak will be better than MPS.

5. franksterra says:

“Please draft Yak, spend development $ on D, get two established D for the next couple of years, and focus on size and grit up front in the rest of the draft.”

Can you hire a blimp to hover over the Kingsway area for the next couple of months with this written on it?

6. rickithebear says:

ii he is playing 4th minutes
    it is important to know if he is playing with 4th line production.
    they averaged 6 pts per player. for the season.
    he got 2 goals. In just even play. that would be 33% of 4th line production.

just to frame a point of reference.

7. bookje says:

Rondo:
    Jon Cooper to talk with Washington Capitals

Note that at the end of that article, there is one comment and that comment says “Jon Cooper will sign with the Edmonton Oilers”.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but that seems pretty darn reliable. I mean, it doesn’t say may sign, it says willl sign. I think we can pretty much confirm that Jon Cooper will be the Oilers next coach. Awesome.

8. striatic says:

why should he play in the SEL where his minutes would be up in the air?

why not OKC, where you can assure he gets 18 a night?

rickithebear:
    ii he is playing 4th minutes
    it is important to know if he is playing with 4th line production.
    they averaged6 pts per player. for the season.
    he got 2 goals. In just even play. that would be 33% of 4th line production.

just to frame a point of reference.

Ricki,

I really, really want to see all your categories in terms of production vis a vi QC and QT.

Can you share them?

I think you’re on to something.

10. remember reijo says:

Until the WJC he was in an overseas crockpot without a camera. Not much was known,even less was seen. He was like the smart son you send to Europe for the overseas student exchange program and then worry if all he’s doing is vacationing. Then a Klefbom went off in Calgary. Oscar is the cushion on the Yakupov sofa….available at all the fine Ikea locations.

From the Oiler’s press release:

Steve Tambellini says, “We are very pleased with Oscar’s growth over the past year since we drafted him last June. His development continues to improve. Oscar is a big, puck moving defenceman, who has shown tremendous poise and ability playing in Sweden’s top professional league and particularly at the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship in Alberta.

1) International experience – check

2) POISE! – Triple check!!

Klef, Klef, Klef………BOM!!

12. Doug McLachlan says:

I understand that the plan is to send him back to the SEL next year and that would probably be best for his development but I’m wondering if there is an equivilant 9 game audition for European players as there is for Juniors before a year of his (newly signed) ELC kicks in. If so, and if he earns it in camp, I would love to see him feeding long-bombs to Hall and Yakupov in October – you know, just to test fire the system once or twice.

13. spoiler says:

Doug McLachlan:
    I understand that the plan is to send him back to the SEL next year and that would probably be best for his development but I’m wondering if there is an equivilant 9 game audition for European players as there is for Juniors before a year of his (newly signed) ELC kicks in.If so, and if he earns it in camp, I would love to see him feeding long-bombs to Hall and Yakupov in October – you know, just to test fire the system once or twice.

Typically, Swedish prospects attend the SEL team’s training camp if they’re staying over there.

I don’t think Tambo is ecstatic about Klefbom staying another year.

He’s showing lots of patience, talking about how a team has to wait till the prospect feels comfortable enough to make the jump to NA, but also expressed concerns about his playing time. I think he’d love to have him on this side of the pond and his comments imply the org thinks Klefa is farther ahead than he thinks, himself.

Or, they just really really hate the Detroit way of doing things.

Anyhoo, Teubert and Plante should be breathing a sigh of relief. Buys them a year, maybe a year and a half to establish a spot, before they get passed by the coming busload.

14. sliderule says:

Klefbom was sent back to junior at the start of last season.He then was brought back with limited minutes.

After the WJC the lightbulb went on and they realized the player they had.I think that coincided with a coaching change.

After the WJC he got lots of ice time at least 17 minutes a game but no PP time until the last few games.This is all from Swedish reports on Hf boards.

This guy is the real deal easily the best prospect defenceman at WJC.