OKC BARONS RE WINNERS AND LOSERS (D)

11-12 was a strong season for some of the Oilers blueline prospects, and there may be a desire by management to change some things on the big club. Opportunity is knocking.

WINNERS!

• Jeff Petry: His RE was 50 games in the NHL, rest in OKC. Petry kicked the daylights out of it, spending 73 games in the NHL and 2 with the Barons. He’s now an NHL player, and on the verge of a big raise and high expectations. A success story, from draft through NHL regular status. Need four more like him.
  • Corey Potter: RE for Potter was “slot into a role as a regular who can handle PP and PK duties” and I did suggest he might end up playing for the Oilers. Potter of course made the big club and played so well a new contract came his way during the year. Potter was less effective as the year wore on and suffered injury too, but his season (62, 4-17-21 -16) reflects perfectly what his role should be: AHL vet ready to step in as a replacement (in this case Cam Barker) when the free agent signing flops. I have every confidence he’ll end up doing the same thing in 12-13.
  • Alex Plante RE “it’s going to take a miracle for him to climb back over the kids who have passed him since Plante turned pro” and damned if he didn’t recover his career with a terrific season. 41, 1-13-14 +16 and an increased role on special teams and at evens according to coach Nelson. He was also +5 in the playoffs and I’d think he’s got a chance to pass some of those young men who passed him in previous seasons.
  • Taylor Chorney: I suggested he might be lost to waivers (and he was, and then reclaimed) and if he does stay we should expect a step forward. Chorney provided it, going from 46, 3-13-16 -1 in ’10-’11 to 50, 6-18-24 +15 this season. I don’t know if he has an NHL future, but he’s progressing in the AHL based on the numbers.

GOOD GRADES

• Bryan Helmer: His RE  “should impact the PP and play a prominent role at evens” and he certainly did that much for the team. I’m always impressed with these pro’s, they’re not going to get an NHL look unless there’s an injury or trade but they do a tremendous amount to help with development.
  • Colten Teubert: RE for Teubert “full AHL season with a plus minus a little above average compared to the other Dmen” and he delivered that in the AHL as well as playing 24 games in the NHL. His NHL time showed cracks; in the minors his numbers (46, 2-8-10 +7) were in line with second and third pairing defenders (leaders in plus minus among D were Plante +16, Chorney +15 and Helmer +13).
  • Kirill Tulupov: RE “Complete wildcard, he could be in OKC opening night or pumping gas at the Chevron down the street.” 33, 1-7-8 +2 and at 6.04, 230 and fearless I’d think the Oilers would think long and hard about bringing him back.

FAILING GRADE

• Taylor Fedun: RE for him was “playing a regular shift and surviving” and he was unable to survive without injury. Fedun was a big story early in training camp and into the pre-season, and who knows what might have been? After his horrible injury, we can cheer for him but counting on a return would be foolish.
  • Ryan Lowery: RE “A reasonable expectation would be 40+ games in the AHL for the Colorado College grad.” He didn’t make it, playing in 28 games (1-6-7 E) while also spending time in the ECHL.
  • Johan Motin RE “there is no earthly way to know how he’ll exit the system, only that it’s as sure as breathing.” And that’s what happened. He did cover his draft bet by playing in the NHL before heading home, though.

NATION RADIO

We are getting close to draft day, so the focus is on the kids. Lots of other items too and your questions are always the best. Email nationradio@theteam1260.com or you can drop them on twitter @ItsNationRadio or lowetide_ Finally, you can simply leave your questions in the comments section and we’ll ask our guests.

Scheduled to appear:

• Tom Lynn, former NHL GM, assistant GM and current player agent. His exceptional experience on both sides of the process offers us great insight. We’ll talk about the draft, trades and how they develop, and some CBA-related items.
  • Corey Pronman, draft expert from Hockey Prospectus. His top 100 list and profiles are an absolute wonder, and we’ll discuss the top of the draft, the sheer number of quality defensemen and ask Corey to rate the Oilers blue prospects.
  • Kirk Luedeke from Redline Report. Kirk has been a friend of the show since we started and we’ll have one more look at this year’s kids. We’ll pay special attention to injuries and their impact, goalies who might go early and I’ll ask about the draft implications for kids going to big NCAA schools.
  • Cam Charron from Leafs Nation. Cam took over the managing editor gig for Leafs Nation this week after doing outstanding work at Canucks Army and all of the nations. The entire segment will be devoted to Chris Tanev. Probably.
  • Michael Spiedel (speeds) from Hockey Symposium. We’ll talk about the draft, free agency, the CBA and I’ll remind speeds about his kinds words for Dean Lombardi last summer on Nation Radio.
  • Jeff Krushell from Krush Health Show. We’ll talk to Jeff about the injuries to these top end prospects, and the possible impact long term. We’ll also ask him what the heck these NHL teams get out of the combine.

Noon to 2pm Edmonton time on the Team 1260.

27 Responses to "OKC BARONS RE WINNERS AND LOSERS (D)"

1. Ryan says:

LT, it’s a wonder how you never run out of useful topics during the off season or are able to pull smart hockey people out of thin air while the big msm guys are stuck on Yakupov vs Murray.

One question, I haven’t noticed much discussion yet on who we should grab at 31? Who do you like? Pronman seems to have Michael Matheson ranked in that slot. What does he like about him?

I’ll ask!

Do you really want to know what I think? :-) If they stay at #1, they’ll take Nail imo BUT if they get enough value to move down I bet they do. I don’t think they’ll go beyond 5 because Reinhart is a key player on their list.

As for the pick at #31, I think they’ll trade up for one of Samuelsson, Scott Laughton or Dalton Thrower.

3. sliderule says:

Speaking of D i heard that the oil are still working on buying out klefbom’s contract with Farjestad and bringing him over to NA.That may be the reason they haven’t announced his signing.

Sliderule: That would be terrific news. I still remember ISS comparing him to Whitney and thinking “well then get him over here!”

5. LMHF#1 says:

Fedun is playing in the Strathcona summer league, so hopefully that means he’s doing much, much better.

6. hunter1909 says:

sliderule:
    Speaking of D i heard that the oil are still working on buying out klefbom’s contractwith Farjestad and bringing him over to NA.That may be the reason they haven’t announced his signing.

I didn’t know Klefbom had ankle issues.

7. Ribs says:

LMHF#1:

What’s his NHLE for that league? Hah.

He was on with Gregor the other day and sounded optimistic about his future. He did mention some lingering skating difficulties, though. I’ll definitely be rooting for the kid!

8. RickDeckard says:

Newb Here.

Ryan,

I’d be interested in the Oilers grabbing Nikolai Prokhorkin at 32.

Prokhorkin is big, mean, PPG centre playing Russian Junior and managed to get into the KHL for 15 regular season and 4 playoff games this year. As far as “Russian Factor”, it’s in the Oilers’ favor. Pronman puts him at 22 but NHL Numbers’ consensus rankings put him around 60, while having Yakupov in the fold should make the luring him over and helping him adjust easier.

Obviously a highlight shows him at his best but he has his head up and seems to be wary of over committing. Then he lays a hit on a player to force a bad clearing decision. From there he goes to the net, losing his defender and getting the rebound.

9. ItsTheBGB says:

This is a superb guest list, LT. I think you’re street cred is rising…..?

10. jake70 says:

ItsTheBGB:
    This is a superb guest list, LT. I think you’re street cred is rising…..?

Talking about street cred, I was watching the Score channel the other day, and some news item (forget what) passed by on the ticker thing at the bottom of screen….all I caught was Oilers Nation: …….

11. Ribs says:

Well what the heck coach. I can’t get the web player to work.

12. jonrmcleod says:

Ribs,

Nor can I.

13. fuzzy muppet says:

jonrmcleod,

With the stream down, I guess i’ll have to put on pants and do something outside.

Thanks a bunch LT…i’ll be cursing your name while I mow the lawn :-/

Sorry guys. Stream was down. NOW you know what it’s like to be old! :-)

15. DSF says:

Sorry guys. Stream was down. NOW you know what it’s like to be old!

They now have medication you can take for “weak stream”.

16. hockeyguy10 says:

Sorry guys. Stream was down. NOW you know what it’s like to be old!

When I had trouble with my “stream” I went to the doc

17. Traktor says:

Norfolk won the AHL Championship today which means Cooper can now be interviewed but apparently Gregor said on twitter that Copper isn’t even a factor and its been Sutter and Krueger.

Lame.

They probably had Krueger picked from day 1 but wanted the fans to calm down before announcing it like with Tambellini and his extension. Cooper went something like 42-3 in his final 45 games and he doesn’t even get an interview?

I wouldn’t mind Sutter but only interviewing two candidates seems kind of bush league.

18. Bar_Qu says:

Traktor,

I believe “Kinda Bush League” is the unofficial subtitle for the Oilers so far this millennium.

19. DSF says:

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters

Jon Cooper’s last 5 years as a coach: NAHL titles in 2007 and 2008, USHL title in 2010, AHL title in 2012. He was practicing law in 2003.

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

If the Oilers don’t at least interview the guy that’s nuts. I understand going with someone you know or has had some experience in the NHL, but for crying out loud due diligence must involve talking to the guy who has won everything made available to him.

21. Rondo says:

Jon Cooper is obviously good with young players, and probably could help with the draft.

22. leadfarmer says:

Finally a decent game in these finals. Too bad im the only one watching.

Jon Cooper supposedly has 2 years left on his contract. Steve Yzerman has to give permission for the Oilers to talk to him, and if Yzerman plays hardball, there will be compensation to pay in picks or players.

The NHL hasn’t regulated the process of hiring guys out of other organization who are under contract, like the NFL.

In the NFL, if one team offers an coach or player personnel people a promotion…i.e. assistant coach to head coach, director of player personnel to GM, compensation does not have to be offered.

25. jb says:

sliderule:

Isn’t it now public knowledge that Tambellini wants to sign Klefbom to an entry level deal,..but the plan is he stays overseas for another year to develop?

Didn’t you also say we’re drafting Murray first as well? Same source?

26. stevezie says:

I would assume that most franchizes, while they want to keep their top coaching talent, also want to attract future talent and see the benefit of letting guys chase promotions. Kirk Muller left his team during midway through his first season, didn’t he?

I wonder if Cooper could be talked into being Ralph’s associate coach? Or Sutter’s? If we give him a one year out it might make sense, as the only thing he is missing is NHL experience. I’d be fine with him as head, but I mean in the event that management isn’t, do you think it’s an option, or am I just dreaming?

It would almost guarentee we woudn’t have him long term, but even one year might be beneficial.

Love his most interesting man in hockey videos.

27. Ribs says:

godot10:
    Jon Cooper supposedly has 2 years left on his contract.Steve Yzerman has to give permission for the Oilers to talk to him, and if Yzerman plays hardball, there will be compensation to pay in picks or players.

It sure sounds like Yzerman is part of the Team Canada gang so I think he will play nice.