STREIT SHOOTER

Earlier today, Team 1260′s Dustin Nielson wrote about the Oilers interest in Mark Streit of the New York Islanders. Nielson: “I have heard, from a source outside of the organization, that the Oilers have apparently shown interest in Mark Streit. Both sides are being pretty quiet about this which could be a sign that there is something to it.”

Would that be a good move? Let’s ask behind the net dot ca.

QUAL COMP

Faces 2nd pairing competition, man the Islanders pushed the kid Hamonic last year. How Eaton got that number on this team is beyond me, the opponents must have been using wiffle bats when Eaton was out there. One of the negs on streit is his -27, and it was poor (Jurcina was -34, Hamonic +6). Streit got 2nd level teammates too btw.

ZONE START

Big push here, we should expect the same if he is traded to Edmonton.

CORSI REL

This is about right, he’s playing mid level competition with an excellent zone start and is well clear of the pack. The impressive number here is Hamonic, holy hell that kid is going to be something if he can stay healthy.

CONCLUSION

I think Streit is a member of the “Dick Tarnstrom” family of defenders, with more offense. The Oilers would need to put him with a Smid or a Nick Schultz but that’s probably the vision anyway.  Depending on price (he’s a year from UFA) this could be a solid acquisition.

69 Responses to "STREIT SHOOTER"

1. justDOit says:

34 years old, one year left at $4M. Considering his next contract will be signed when he’s 35, Streit’s trade value is low now and will only drop off until the trade deadline. Would Belenger get this deal done?

2. Archie says:

Would trade Belanger + Omark for him. Would give NYI the defensive center and a possible winger to play with Tavares.

3. Mr DeBakey says:

Is Dustin Nielsen TreenasOil?

No. He doesn’t have the legs for it.

5. Downright Fierce says:

Isles pretty stacked at C. Maybe Omark fits? Snow took in Schremp after all.

Streit+Reasoner for Omark+Belanger+a pick?

(I only posted this so I could be the first one to mention Marty coming back)

6. spoiler says:

So, let me get this streit… 1 day after Krueger is hired, there are rumours that the Oil are after his PP stalwart? Me likey lots. Git’er done.

7. spoiler says:

Someone please tell me Hall and Schultz are at Wayne’s shop right now enjoying a basket of hot wings served by Gretz himself while watching the ball game together on the big screen.

spoiler:

THAT would be perfect. And maybe Daniel Winnik and Paul Gaustad wander in….

9. spoiler says:

BobbyMac tweets Minnie also in on the Schultz Sweepstakes.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Speaking of our old rivals from the glory days…

I had the chance to frequent the city of champions recently and found myself at a place called Garneau’s on 109th and conspicuous amongst the delicately painted pastoral scenes was an Islander pennant…

Needless to say, I was half-crazed… I thought more of you Edmonton… explain yourself.

11. Kris11 says:

I am okay with Streit, but the price should be low.

Omark makes sense. He’s cheap for NYI and he can excite the fans. (I should say fan. There’s only that one fan on the island.)

I’m not sure NYI would want Omark though. (I think they should, but what do they think they should value Omark at.) The Oilers haven’t exactly pumped up Omark’s trade value, what with the demotions and implications of an attitude problem.

When you start talking picks and prospects or MPS or Gagner, then a Streit rental isn’t enough. IMO.

12. jonrmcleod says:

I hope that while this Schultz matter is being straightened out, that the Oilers are working on acquiring other D-men. With a couple of guys like Streit, the Oilers might be going straight to the playoffs. (I think, though, that I wouldn’t want to give up much for a guy in his mid 30′s.)

13. Kris11 says:

I don’t get what Schultz wants based on the reports of where is interested in going. (Of course, I’m happy that he might want Edmonton.)

If we wants to be close to BC, then NYC should be out, no? And how is Minnesota or NYC that much better location-wise than Anaheim? (Note to Schultz: Southern California is pretty nice and not that bad a flight to and from BC.)

I guess he wants the right combination of playing time, winning atmosphere, close to home, and nice city. But how doesn’t Anaheim have as much of that as Minnesota?

It doesn’t matter, but some of the media reports about Schultz are confusing me.

Fingers crossed.

14. ashley says:

The cynic in me says that his intention has always been to sign a Canucks contract, but his agent has wisely advised him that he needs to go through the process of having other teams show interest to get as much performance bonus money and ice time guarantee from the Canucks that he can.

He’s been away for a few years now. He probably wants to go home.

Fingers also crossed that my cynical side is wrong.

I think there are a few things in play, among them being the story is moving quickly. Didn’t hear about the Wild until tonight.

16. DSF says:

From what I’ve read, Minnesota ownership has given the team the green light to go after Suter, Parise and Schultz.

With $19M in cap space, they could pull it off.

Suter’s offseason home is in Minnesota and, of course, Parise is from there.

Not sure how Schultz would feel about playing there but the Wild have lots of room on the blue line.

With Mikael Granlund, Charlie Coyle, Zack Phillips, Brett Bulmer and Kyle Palmieri all close to ready, the team could take off in a big way real soon.

17. Dipstick says:

ashley:

He’s been away for a few years now.He probably wants to go home.

Fingers also crossed that my cynical side is wrong.

I think that you may be on to something there. It could just as easily be another team that he has picked though. Hopeful.

18. DSF says:

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
    Gillis announces ‪#Canucks‬ have agreed in principle on new deal with Cory Schneider

Expect Luongo will be moved to Florida in the next couple of days.

19. Doug McLachlan says:

Was really surprised that Ottawa was on the list.

20. blackdog says:

Schultz (jr) has a couple of pals on the Rangers I believe, that’s why the interest there.

Streit isn’t the end all and be all but these are the type of deals MacT needs to be making (I think Tambo being left behind today speaks to the hierarchy here). Trade for these veteran guys with a year or two left on their deals until a) your kids are ready or b) you can pick up an elite guy when dealing from strength.

Even if they don’t get Schultz if they get a guy like Streit (and they could pick him up for little, look at what Lubo cost for a comp) and another veteran guy with a year left (say the equivalent to a Brad Stuart or Reghyr type) and suddenly your D is Smid/Petry Schultz/Streit Whitney/2nd new guy with Sutton or Peckham as your 7th man and then guys like Potter, Teubert, Plante providing the callups until the next wave of kids is ready.

Repeat, easing in your new kids. So say Klefbom next year, Marancin the year after, and so on.

That’s why the move for a guy like Wideman was so dumb. You can pick up a Wideman for nothing imo.

21. gogliano says:

I don’t know how cynical he is being with his selections. If you’re trying to play teams off one another, and all the teams know you want to come out West, why not keep Calgary in the hunt? Or why not keep Detroit, who was offering a guaranteed roster spot and is a pretty reputable organization?

Maybe he has a clear favorite but the group of teams in the short list reflect idiosyncratic and varied preferences as opposed to a pure bargaining posture. Seems to me he is approaching the situation pretty rationally and trying to see how the organizations will stack up as places to play.

22. spoiler says:

DSF:

Suter’s offseason home is in Minnesota and, of course, Parise is from there.

By Minnesota, do you mean Wisconsin?

23. pboy says:

3 year / 12 million for Schneider, as per TSN.

24. DeadmanWaking says:

Has no-one here ever wandered into an expensive car dealership still wearing your Sunday best after sucking back some finger food at a dull formality? Schultz has a great opportunity to kick some tires, unshackled from common sense.

Any team in the NW gets him to Vancouver three times per season, and if the Oilers promise to finish 8th, he’s got a good chance for some bonus excursions. Yeah, that’s about what I think an ice-time promise is worth. Would you go to a team that rolls over and tells you that you don’t have to earn it after your early season Venti espresso? I wouldn’t. It smells like fear.

I think the Oilers should be able to offer a contract with easily attainable bonuses (‘breathe for 365 straight days’) and that might have value.

26. DSF says:

spoiler: By Minnesota, do you mean Wisconsin?

No, I mean Minnesota…in both cases.

27. Cactus says:

Well, what the Oilers can really offer is lack of defensive depth and lack of “Stanley or bust” pressure. If Schultz goes to Vancouver and is a menace in his own end, the Canucks aren’t going to sacrifice their chance at a cup to bring him along. Best case scenario for the Oilers next year is squeezing into the playoffs at 7th or 8th, so they have much more leeway to let him learn and grow.

I wouold expect the bonuses in all the contract offers to be almost identical – the difference is he’s much more likely to make it there with the Oilers.

28. derle_earl says:

You think they might move Horc for Streit? , New York will need to replace that contract to hit the cap floor this year

29. Gerta Rauss says:

derle_earl,

I’d give $100 to the United Way for that to happen.

30. hockeyguy10 says:

DSF: No, I mean Minnesota…in both cases.

Parise has already stated he is not interested in going “home” to play. Sorry,can’t remember whose column it was in so no link.Maybe Lebrun on ESPN.

31. gogliano says:

DeadmanWaking:
    Has no-one here ever wandered into an expensive car dealership still wearing your Sunday best after sucking back some finger food at a dull formality?Schultz has a great opportunity to kick some tires, unshackled from common sense.

Any team in the NW gets him to Vancouver three times per season, and if the Oilers promise to finish 8th, he’s got a good chance for some bonus excursions.Yeah, that’s about what I think an ice-time promise is worth.Would you go to a team that rolls over and tells you that you don’t have to earn it after your early season Venti espresso?I wouldn’t.It smells like fear.

Detroit basically gave him a roster spot guarantee. Not exactly a model of bad management. I think a lot of people mean different things when they are talking about guarantees.

I’d be fine with something like “we see you as a 1A/1B RD with Petry and it is yours to lose at camp — but if you play yourself out of that position you’ll drop to 5/6 or be in the (NHL) pressbox for as long as it takes.” Strikes a balance between honoring his ability, retaining the notion of team integrity, and promising him NHL dollars.

I mean, the kid can play the game. He has already demonstrated that. No need to pretend he wouldn’t make the top six on this team with ease.

32. striatic says:

streit would be a good interim get, but i don’t see why the islanders would move him.

33. Gret99zky says:

Schultz the Younger hasn’t even heard of these bums on the other teams.

The only names he’s heard in the last couple years are Hall, Eberle, The Nuge, and Nail Yakupov. The most exciting group of young (soon to be) superstars to ever play together in the modern NHL.

I think he chooses Edmonton.

34. striatic says:

gogliano:

more like #2 RD [to start] and 1st unit PP time [to start].

no way you put the pressure of being #1 RD on him. i doubt he even wants that. start him in the middle, see what happens.

35. hockeyguy10 says:

LT,

Did Streit’s numbers get better as the year progressed? He missed the whole previous year with a knee injury he sustained in the preseason. A lot of players take a long time to get back up to speed.

36. Doug McLachlan says:

Gret99zky,

Hope you are right but suspect that we are still behind Vancouver and Toronto in the pecking order.

Perhaps I’ve been hit with enough Oiler Participaction medals that I’m just steeling myself for the disappointment of being Pierre McGuired on this one.

37. DSF says:

hockeyguy10: Parise has already stated he is not interested in going “home” to play. Sorry,can’t remember whose columnit was in so no link.Maybe Lebrun on ESPN.

I’ve been following this very closely and IIRC the only team he has ruled out is the Rangers.

From today’s Washington Post:

38. Maverick says:

Streit would be a welcome addition to the Oilers team. Not a true #2 defenseman but a definite upgrade from what is currently on the roster. Whitney, Petry and Streit to move the puck quickly to the forwards would be a plus, if Schultz chooses Edmonton than it would be a wealth of riches and a great Whitney insurance.

Props to blackdog (http://www.blackdoghatesskunks.com/) on his latest post, if you haven’t read his work you should very witty writer. A small sample that I found amusing concerning the draft.

“God what a circus. I presume the Oilers showed up to the draft in a Beetle and all piled out in clown outfits. Katz, his kid, Lowe, the scouts, Stauffer and Tencer. And Tambo riding behind on one of those tiny bikes, honking a horn. BWAP! BWAP!”

Well done Sir, well done!

39. SpotTheLoon says:

Doug McLachlan,

I don’t really see the attraction of Toronto for most players, to be honest. Unless it is home or you grew up in the GTA, I can’t think of why a lot of players would even consider it. It’s a fish bowl a lot bigger than Edmonton where everything is watched all the time. I honestly don’t see the attraction of the city either. I mean, downtown is kind cool and there are a few nice areas but it is certainly isn’t the Mecca that people make it out to be. I spent a year commuting each week from here to Toronto for work and I can say that there are a lot of other NHL cities that are much more pleasant to visit.

Oh, and the Leafs suck something awful. For all the complaining that some do about Mr. Dithers, be thankful we aren’t faced with the train wreck that Burke has going in Toronto. Sure, Schultz could play with a former college team mate. But there isn’t a lot of hope for the situation of the Laughs to improve in the immediate future.

I honestly do think that it is down to Vancouver and Edmonton with Ottawa having an outside chance. Let’s hope the world unfolds in a way that will make us all happy Oilers fans.

40. hockeyguy10 says:

DSF,

Lots of stories out. Tried to find the one I saw,no luck. I heard Parise in a radio interview say NYR were not an option. That was shortly after the Cup final.

41. Traktor says:

Does anyone know what time Free Agency starts?

42. DSF says:

hockeyguy10:
    DSF,

Should also mention Minnesota is a hop, skip and a short jump for Madison Wisc. should Shultz be thinking about the Wild.

hockeyguy10:
    DSF,

I heard it, was an interview in the scrum maybe the final day before summer. Reporter asked him aout NYR and he was emphatic in saying no.

Traktor:
    Does anyone know what time Free Agency starts?

I believe it is noon eastern, 10am Edmonton time.

45. DSF says:

Lowetide: I believe it is noon eastern, 10am Edmonton time.

Yep.

TSN coverage starts then.

46. bookje says:

Oh dear lord, now people are dancing to the tune of ‘Schultz is considering wanting a Jujube”

Nobody knows anything about where Schultz is probably going to go. All they have is idle speculation because the decision lies in a very close circle to the individual.

In a few days or less he will sign a contact and probably tell people why he decided to sign with that particular team.

47. Captain Obvious says:

striatic:

I agree with this completely. The trade offers in this thread don’t make any sense. You guys want Streit for free but the Islanders have no reason to deal him away for nothing.

If you want Streit there will be a cost. The absolute minimum, most you can hope for, is to get him for a second round pick. I’d trade Pitlick or Musil for him.

48. hockeyguy10 says:

Emphatic indeed. I actually found it refreshing not to hear the usual cliches/non answers when asked a tough question.

49. leadfarmer says:

DSF, I dont get your crazy love for the Wild. As a Minnesotan I can tell you that no one here is as excited about the Wild next year as you are. You need to come to Nicollet Mall and keep beating that drum to get more excitement for the Wild around here. Most people here would be shocked if one of those 3 signed.

50. Traktor says:

Lowetide: I believe it is noon eastern, 10am Edmonton time.

Thanks.

I was deciding what to do Saturday night and if it was at 12:01 AM I would have stayed in.

51. Henry says:

So beside his size and -27, what is good about Streit for a team looking to get much better?

52. DSF says:

leadfarmer:
    DSF, I dont get your crazy love for the Wild.As a Minnesotan I can tell you that no one here is as excited about the Wild next year as you are.You need to come to Nicollet Mall and keep beating that drum to get more excitement for the Wild around here.Most people here would be shocked if one of those 3 signed.

53. fuzzy muppet says:

DSF,

Im with you on this. Minnesota has a great deal of promising prospects and a very realistic chance at getting one (if not both) of parise and suter. Schultz would have to be intrigued especially since the cities are a 3 hour drive from madison.

If (more when) koivu gets hurt this team tends to fall apart. They are already a competitive team when healthy and are adding a good deal of young talent this year.

I have a feeling that minnesota throws huge $ at Parise. Lou nanne pretty much confirmed they will.

If you’re Schultz, what’s the harm in waiting an extra day or two to see how it shakes out?

54. Ribs says:

Fun Streit fact: He was drafted by the Canadiens at 26 years old.

55. Ribs says:

I’m kind of surprised that no one has blamed Steve Staios for Streits plus minus yet.

56. spoiler says:

spoiler: By Minnesota, do you mean Wisconsin?

57. spoiler says:

DSF: No, I mean Minnesota…in both cases.Suter’s agent tweeted earlier today Suter will be spending July 1st at his cabin in Minnesota and, of course, Parise was born in Minnesota when JP played there.

Per Sportsnet:

Mark Spector Sports:

Sheehy: “Ryan will be at his farm in Wisconsin with his phone on. I’ll be here in Minnesota.”

You know, I keep taking the bullets out of the gun and you still keep finding a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

58. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:
    spoiler: By Minnesota, do you mean Wisconsin?

I don’t know: you tell me.

59. spoiler says:

D.S.F: No, I mean Minnesota…in both cases.Suter’s agent tweeted earlier today Suter will be spending July 1st at his cabin in Minnesota and, of course, Parise was born in Minnesota when JP played there.

Per Mark Spector Sports…

You know, D.S.F, I keep taking the bullets out of the gun and you keep finding a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

60. tsunami says:

DSF: I think you may be very surprised how much the Wild improve over the next couple of seasons.

You mean like the Oilers :) ?

61. leadfarmer says:

DSF,

In a few seasons yes, next year they will be terrible.

62. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: I don’t know: you tell me.

Sorry, posts were getting stuck in purgatory; I tried to break them up, which didn’t work, so then I adjusted my D.S.F.

63. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: …so then I adjusted my D.S.F.

Not in public, I trust.

64. PerryK says:

Didn’t Streit play for Kreuger?

65. tsunami says:

well, he played for him when he coached switzerland, yes

66. stevezie says:

Let me add one more voice to the chorus that doesn’t understand why NYI would want to trade Streit, but if they do I hope we get him.

A one year deal is ideal for us- there are no perfect matches for this team right now, so rather than pull a Feaster and lock ourselves in to an imperfect fit for a really long time, we can improve the immediate defence but still have the flexibility to make the move should the ideal solution arise.

I know Shultz would be perfect, but we all agree we’d rather have two, right?

67. uni says:

DSF,

Nah. Minnie has a lot of good young prospects knocking on the door, sure some of them might flop, but odds are many of them will be very good.

They should be back on the winning side of the ledger within 3-5 years.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m getting confused here… now why would Schultz want to be in Minne to be close to Wisc? Are you assuming he’s got a girl and a lot of friends there or something?

My sense is that people rarely remain in the same city after graduation and I can’t see a guy who’s going to be in transit for the next 20 years of his life considering Wisc. his home and not BC.

69. minnesotaoil says:

Though the media in Minnesota has been banging the drum for Suter and Parise, I doubt Parise winds up here. Wild revenues are down significantly and the word on the street is that they have internally cut their cap ceiling by $5 million. Not a lot of excitement around the team either, unless you count Nanne’s radio spots…