TAMBELLINI LUCID!

I don’t know Greg Brady from a hole in the ground but Oiler fans owe him a debt of gratitude today. A lucid Tambi interview!!

Brady got the best interview out of Tambellini I’ve ever heard. Seriously. Still nutty about the goaltending but a worthwhile listen.

Greg Brady, thank you.

68 Responses to "TAMBELLINI LUCID!"

1. mc79hockey says:

I have some bleak thoughts about radio guys generally (sorry LT) but Brady’s fantastic. Good interviewer, bright guy.

No worries, I feel the same way about lawyers generally but you’ve passed the test! :-)

3. mc79hockey says:

Hah.

Funny story. I was in the UK a while back, hanging out with some English friends. One of them had seen me and Brady exchange tweets and was amazed that I knew him. I was amazed that a Toronto DJ who spent a chunk of time in Detroit had a profile in the UK.

Turns out they have this show over there, Fighting Talk, which is just basically like a fake contest show where radio guys try to turn out quips as quickly as they can and Brady is dominant on it. My buddy’s all “Yes, he comes on the air to this song (now you have to imagine this in a British accent)…”Hello out there, we’re on the air, it’s hockey night tongiht”

Truly bizarre.

lol. Well I’ll tune in again, he asked very good questions and then followed up based on the response. THAT’S a good interviewer and kudos to Tambellini for being articulate.

5. blackdog says:

Great interview. You know, if he would articulate his thoughts this well at other times I think folks would cut him far more of a break.

6. stevezie says:

blackdog,

I agree. I’m not sure if it’s a strength or a weakness, but the man really doesn’t care what the fans think of his process- he really believes his results will stand him. If it works out this is fine, but in the meantime he leaves an awful lot of blanks for fans to fill in for themselves, which we do.

7. bookje says:

I imagine being named Greg Brady is a lot like being a ‘Boy Names Sue’. How many times do you think the guy was asked about Marcia?

8. Jesse says:

That was a great interview. Very interesting stuff for sure.

I think for all of the bungles that Tambellini has orchestrated, I do think that there’s something to be said for the depth that is starting to build. It doesn’t necessarily look terribly great at the moment, but I think the fact that on RW the Oilers will have Eberle, Hemsky, Yakupov (possibly), and Hartikainen is something to appreciate. I think with one solid addition to left wing they’ll look decent as well with Hall, Smyth, Paajarvi, and Jones in the mix. This roster is definitely a work in progress and Tambellini is in no way excused from his bad contracts and pro acquisition, but as far as L and RW go, they’re probably the areas that are furthest along in the rebuild and closest to “being there” as a team that makes the playoffs. If Paajarvi and Hartikainen turn out to be 2nd line guys rather than 3rd line guys then that is something of a huge bonus. But I definitely liked what ST said about guys fighting for jobs. It would be nice to see Yakupov in a role that is closer to that of what Seguin played in his first year — more of a supportive depth role on a deep roster — than that of what Hall played in his first year.

Nice that he made the distinction between roster needs and drafting need.

Still making excuses for Khabby and hanging onto that contract like grim death though.

10. stevezie says:

Well in his defence he can’t really admit it’s a mistake as long as Khabi is still here.

Stu with the bomb: “I wouldn’t say that [Yakupov is the true No. 1],” MacGregor told NHL.com. “I think he’s one of the players you have to consider for that spot, but I think there are a few players you have to consider.”

12. jonrmcleod says:

Is that really a bomb? That sounds like normal Oilers management talk. You’d have to cut off their hands to make them reveal their cards.

13. Jordan says:

Woodguy,

It’s true about Khabbi. – there would be so much more slack given for that signing if they would just spin it a little differently. If the story were “We really like what Khabbi has done as a mentor for our developing goalies, especially for Devan Dubnyk. We know that the team we’ve put out in front of him hasn’t provided the results that either of us wanted, we really appreciate all his hard work, and his efforts to make this team better, both in the short and long term.” the this wouldn’t be an issue. Everyone would recognize that Steve gets it and it would also change the narrative from “#35 – MVP” to “#35 – Future-builder”.

Jesse,

Definitely agree with you. I wouldn’t count on Harski being a 2nd liner – that seems like a big strech from here. He needs more offense a lot more consistently before we can start talking about it seriously. I will say that he’s at least a 4th liner right now. Pajaarvi needs to work on his shooting with Hall or Ebs. Its not NHL-calibre, and for him to be more than a 3rd liner it HAS to improve (God, please don’t let this man be Marchant redux.) The Issues remain where they usually are on this team – C (how long has this been a problem?) and top pairing D.

14. fuzzy muppet says:

It sounds like Tambo actually understands the value of that #1 OV pick. There’s no way he holds that pick for ransom only to take A Defenseman #1. None. I am convinced that the pick is Yakupov

jonrmcleod:

16. Ribs says:

It’s hard to gather context from that Stu quote.

I like how Tambellini blames Khabibulin’s collapse on injuries. Those danged old injuries! Who can predict them!?! No one!!

17. jonrmcleod says:

18. Jordan says:

That’s big news LT. However, I see your quote in combination with mine as a real story:

“Our job as scouts is just to put the best available players in order that we feel have the potential, and we will at some point investigate where we’re going. But at this point we’re still working on 1-to-100 and we feel we have some defensive prospects coming up who are going to be really good players.” — Oilers head amateur scout Stu MacGregor

(bolding mine)

So, what we have is one quote saying (our defensive prospect stable is looking really good, and another saying there’s a group of players that need to be considered at #1 overall.

I know there have been a number of statements about how the Org. may look at team needs at some point for the players drafted. One place the Oilers are DESPERATELY weak in their prospect pool is C. WIth Galchenyuk sitting up as high as he is, and the teams glaring weakness at C, could he be in the picture? If Yak didn’t wow them at the combine, could Alex be the guy they take?

19. Ducey says:

Lowetide: I think it points to what we’ve seen as a disconnect between the rankings via McKenzie and others and the Oilers verbal up until now. They don’t see the board as we do.

They are just being coy. Its still 3.5 weeks before the draft, in the middle of the combine, and before the big visit by Yakupov.

20. Bob Arctor says:

The bigger story might be a 8 minute interview without “poise”. I’m worried for Tambo…

21. fuzzy muppet says:

Bob Arctor:

We would be so lucky to have someone “snatch” Tambo and make the decisions.

22. bsmart says:

jonrmcleod,

That is a very valid point.

23. Ribs says:

Tencer tweets…

Spoke with Stu MacGregor just now. Asked about Yakupov being consensus number one on every published list. He says: “It’s never that easy.”

On trading the pick…Stu says there are usually 6-8 premium players available (referenced Eberle at 22). Says if pick moves he’ll find one.

fuzzy muppet:
    It sounds like Tambo actually understands the value of that #1 OV pick. There’s no way he holds that pick for ransom only to take A Defenseman #1.None. I am convinced that the pick is Yakupov

I think that if they can’t get the package they want for the pick, they take Yak.

You can always trade someone 6 months- 1year from now to fill a hole if they don’t get want they want at the draft.

I just fear that the 5th and Schenn would be enough in their eyes.

Stu being vague is just SOP. This is the first time they OIlers had the #1 when there was a clear #1.

Snow was vague up to the point he said Tavares’ name too, and he was the clear #1 that year.

25. delooper says:

This feels like too much taking quotes out of context and over-analysing them in isolation. You can’t expect every member of the Oilers staff to be always giving big-picture announcements. Sometimes they’re going to focus on whatever they were thinking about before the interview. Sometimes they’ll only answer the immediate question posed rather than trying to address the general angst of the audience.

26. bookje says:

It may not be their final decision, but it sounds like it could be.

Remember, you heard it here first!

27. lazerguidedmelody says:

mc79hockey:
    Hah.

Funny story.I was in the UK a while back, hanging out with some English friends.One of them had seen me and Brady exchange tweets and was amazed that I knew him.I was amazed that a Toronto DJ who spent a chunk of time in Detroit had a profile in the UK.

Turns out they have this show over there, Fighting Talk, which is just basically like a fake contest show where radio guys try to turn out quips as quickly as they can and Brady is dominant on it.My buddy’s all “Yes, he comes on the air to this song (now you have to imagine this in a British accent)…”Hello out there, we’re on the air, it’s hockey night tongiht”

Truly bizarre.

Greetings from the UK. And very spiffing it is too that we share a Greg Brady with the Canadians. Toodle pip!

28. Mr DeBakey says:

Zona just put a post noting how bad twelve inch meatball subs toasted with cheese on Italian and herb buns are in their own end.

They’re SC Negative it seems

29. Ribs says:

Tambellini overlooking Yakupov wingate test, per TSN.

30. commonfan14 says:

jonrmcleod: Well, if he says Yakupov is the true #1, then other teams will assume the Oilers plan to pick him. So if a team wanted to trade up in the draft because they coveted someone other than Yakupov, they wouldn’t bother to talk to the Oilers. I just think they may want to keep all options open, so they are refusing to give any hints about who they’ll draft.

The following things need to be in play for that to make sense:

1. Another team has to have someone other than Yak as their top target.
    2. That team has to believe the Oilers when they hint Yak isn’t a lock at #1.
    3. That believing team has to think they’re sure about what other guy the Oil are taking instead of Yak.
    4. That other guy that the other team thinks the Oil are taking has to be the same guy that the other team has at #1 on their board.

That all seems like quite a stretch to me. It actually seems far more likely that the teams below the Oilers have Yak as their #1 and are thrilled by the possibility that the Oil might pass on him. Why would they offer something to trade up if they might get their #1 guy for free?

And if teams do covet someone other than Yak, it seems more reasonable that they’d play the odds and deal with Columbus and pay a lower price for the #2.

Wouldn’t a better strategy be to say that they have a clear #1 in mind that it would take something significant to convince them to trade down? Then teams know that they’re not getting Yak without trading up, and that they need to offer something good to make it happen.

31. bookje says:

Ribs:
    Tambellini overlooking Yakupov wingate test, per TSN.

I heard though, that he has glanced over at Gregorinko a few times though and at one point it looked as though they winked at each other. Ryan Murray seemed upset by that and walked away in a huff. Kevin Lowe laughed – not sure what that was about.

32. Jesse says:

I hear that Meatball subs don’t interact well in digestive system scrums and are always the first to leave it. This tends to give you bad body language.

33. SK Oiler Fan says:

bookje: I heard though, that he has glanced over at Gregorinko a few times though and at one point it looked as though they winked at each other.Ryan Murray seemed upset by that and walked away in a huff.Kevin Lowe laughed – not sure what that was about.

LOL…I hereby nominate Bookje to replace Darren Dreger on the TSN live blog

Mr DeBakey:

They’re SC Negative it seems

w

35. jonrmcleod says:

commonfan14,

Not that it’s terribly important, but I think your fourth point may be flawed.

36. Ribs says:

I think Tambellini was just admiring Gregorinkos’ Butt-Bra. It really gets results in the gym, I hear.

37. fuzzy muppet says:

bookje:
    I was at Kingsway Mall foodcourt today and saw Stu McGregor and Tambellini together chatting (the Oilers office is right across the street).It was pretty busy so I was able to stand pretty close to them to hear what they were talking about and just caught the conversation at the right time.

I think the Oilers are going to draft a twelve inch meatball sub toasted with cheese on an Italian and herb bun.Seriously, McGregor said that he was “leaning towards that” and Tambellini said “That sounds good, I could go for that as well”.

It may not be their final decision, but it sounds like it could be.

Remember, you heard it here first!

Do you have the sub’s corsi/rel corsi and zone starts? I can’t tell if the subs as good as it looks. I need more math

38. jonrmcleod says:

bookje,

You see, that’s what’s wrong with Oilers management. They believe the old conventional wisdom that low fat is the way to go. But they should actually be taking the low carb approach. Go with the salad, not the sub.

39. Mr DeBakey says:

C’mon guys lets get serious here

40. Ribs says:

Tambellini says he has received “Soft calls” for 1st overall pick – Oilers Now

41. commonfan14 says:

jonrmcleod,

How’s that?

If a team thinks the Oil are taking Murray, they aren’t going to call them to trade up unless Murray is their #1 guy too. They’d call Columbus instead since the #2 pick would cost less.

42. jonrmcleod says:

commonfan14,

That was my point. I thought you were arguing against what I originally said.

43. DSF says:

The salary cap for next season set at $70.3 million.

Temporary until a new CBA is hammered out but an ambitious GM could go as high as $77M in the offseason.

44. Downright Fierce says:

Sounds like they caught Toonces after a drink or two. Good stuff.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the Oilers are going to have to bite the bullet & choose the flatbread.

45. hockeyguy10 says:

bookje,

bookje: I was at Kingsway Mall foodcourt today and saw Stu McGregor and Tambellini together chatting (the Oilers office is right across the street). It was pretty busy so I was able to stand pretty close to them to hear what they were talking about and just caught the conversation at the right time. I think the Oilers are going to draft a twelve inch meatball sub toasted with cheese on an Italian and herb bun. Seriously, McGregor said that he was “leaning towards that” and Tambellini said “That sounds good, I could go for that as well”. It may not be their final decision, but it sounds like it could be. Remember, you heard it here first!

I think that means they are drafting a Swede with the first pick.

46. Traktor says:

Woodguy: Where’s Traktor bitching you out for ignoring that Chicken Pizziola on Whole Wheat is also negative SC, but you failed to mention it?

w

Otherwise its just bitter old man crying wolf.

t

47. Ducey says:

Tim Thomas, age 38, leaning towards “taking a year off”.

Maybe we can lend them Bulin for the year.

48. bookje says:

Traktor,

Uh, Traktor, I think that WG’s comment had the ring of ‘all in good humour’ to it.

49. sliderule says:

I think Stu’s comment about Yak not maybe being number one ties in with what I reported about a WHL scouts negative comment about him.
    The only way they are going to take Yak is if Lowe Tambo or Katz fall in love with his personality on his visit.Stu and the oiler scouts have someone else in mind and will have to be overruled.

50. bookje says:

Mr DeBakey:
    C’mon guys lets get serious here

I for one am simply disgusted at how some have lowered the credibility and relevance of LT’s blog commenting section with their flippant, and decidedly unfunny, so-called attempts at ‘humour’. I think it’s time we end the no zero policy here. Let’s focus on what is important here – nipple slips and unfounded draft prognostications.

51. Traktor says:

One of the best goalie prospects is now on the market.

2010 draft pick Frederik Andersen decided not to sign with Carolina “I could end up two years in the AHL and I don’t want that.”

He is 22 years old, 6’4 and posted a .943 sv% in the SEL this year.

He might be the next Gustavsson instead of the next Lundqvist but I would give him a chance in the NHL.

52. commonfan14 says:

jonrmcleod,

I do disagree. There’s zero chance that a team will trade up into the #1 spot and then not take Yakupov. It’s ridiculous.

On the other hand, it’s entirely possible that a team would want to trade into the #1 spot to get him. So if you’re the Oilers why not make it clear that the only way to get him is to deal with you?

53. bookje says:

Traktor,

Is he a UFA or does he re-enter the draft?

54. sliderule says:

Stauffer over the last few drafts was on the bandwagon of Hall and Nuge especially after the memorial cup and the oiler scout meetings

This year he is suggesting the oil could pick Murray at number one.

He even suggested Reinhart might be considered.

For those of us who like Yak it doesn’t look good.

Traktor: If you want to be a bitter old man that’s up to you but at least focus on things that are the most worthy of being hated on.

Otherwise its just bitter old man crying wolf.

t

???

Your inability to either:

1) Spot comedy
    2) Laugh at yourself

Makes this old man sad.

Lighten up, its a hockey blog.

56. Marc says:

Woodguy: ???

Your inability to either:

1) Spot comedy
    2) Laugh at yourself

Makes this old man sad.

Lighten up, its a hockey blog.

YOU ARE WRONG!

This is a sandwich blog. Tasty, tasty sandwiches.

57. Traktor says:

bookje:
    Traktor,

Is he a UFA or does he re-enter the draft?

I think he is a UFA but there is a bunch of people on HF prospects forum arguing over it like with Schultz lol

58. bendelson says:

Interesting thread today. I’m worried about the number one pick being a defencemen and I’m hungry.

That is all.

sliderule:

This year he is suggesting the oil could pick Murray at number one.

He even suggested Reinhart might be considered.

For those of us who like Yak it doesn’t look good.

He’s been all over Yakopov and how you must take the BPA for the last few weeks.

60. jb says:

sliderule:

This year he is suggesting the oil could pick Murray at number one.

He even suggested Reinhart might be considered.

For those of us who like Yak it doesn’t look good.

Nothing new came from this interview obviously, but your still looking at it all wrong. No one else is being considered #1. They’re hoping someone throws an offer their way they can’t refuse.

Nothings changed, and nothing will change until draft day. It all comes down to will they get an offer good enough to let the #1 go?

61. Ribs says:

Guerrero moves up to triple A. One step closer!

62. blackdog says:

What Woodguy said. Stauffer has been talking up Yakupov and that’s a tell, when Lowe’s lips move Stauffer talks or whatever that saying is. I’m not a big one for reading the tea leaves whenever one of these guys opens his yap but Stauffer’s boosterism of the Tatar, the fact that he is the undisputed #1 and Tambo’s clear remark on how the draft may not impact the roster until 5 years down the road (paraphrase) makes me think that Yakupov is the man.

I think that’s the right move. Should be interesting to see what he does (if anything) to shore up the rest of the roster.

Also the Khabibulin talk doesn’t bother me. He’s not going to throw him under the bus. Makes no sense to do that.

63. DeadmanWaking says:

Yakupov: will he or won’t he?

This seems like the right thread to come in with my best Michael Caine “Not a lot of people know that” concerning the physiology of the Wingate test. I fell in love with high-intensity interval training (HIIT) because I’m a lazy-ass masochist. This is the “rip the Band-Aid” approach to butter-blanket reversal, based on the intricate chemistry of different muscle fibre types.

First off, this isn’t the right program for everyone. Pain-avoidant slackers wanting to look just good enough to drop the skivvies then douse the lights are better suited to leafing through Maxim in long bouts of paddle-wheel recumbence. Imagine you’re back in high school and coach comes up and offers you this choice: You can either sweep out the gym before you leave, or you can consume this small serving of horseradish/Habanero/peanut butter/pine sap vitality compote and then let him know what you think. If your first thought is “Sweet! I don’t have to sweep the gym!” then this program is right for you.

Your body thinks this way: type I fibres are for hiking all day in the forest outback; type IIa fibres are for running away from bears; type IIb fibers are for clocking the bear with a cast-iron frying pan before running away (see IIa); type III fibres are for screaming in agony if the type II a/x/b fibres hit the wall at the worst possible moment. The body deeply believes that type II exhaustion is prelude to bear food. It tries very hard to deter and discourage you from reaching this state. Habanero pine-sap hard. Since the average bear fight doesn’t last very long (one way or the other) it’s the nature of the beast that you can blotto your type II PDQ. Even if you prevail over the bear, what have you got left to sneak past the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog? The body tries very hard not to go there.

Turns out that eight repetitions of 30s maximum-power sprints (spaced out with 90s recovery periods) is all it takes to wipe you out for a minimum 48 hours. People get excellent results on one session a week. Now the human mind defines “maximum” as suitable for encountering a bear in the woods where she sees you first with the cubs playfully ignoring your opposite flank. If you’re not pushing into this territory, the body holds the type IIb fibres in abeyance like a spare parachute. To get good results you gotta work like you jumped out of an airplane wearing some flappy batwings and no chute at all. This is why you don’t see a lot of doughy yet strangely-muscular old men wandering around with a quadraphonic no-questions-asked acidosis scowl. Few people want to work this hard. Me, I’ll do anything to evade sweeping out the gym. I’m a lazy bugger.

Here’s the recent speculation on how this works. After exhausting the type II fibres, the brain goes “damn lucky we didn’t end up as bear food” and goes full court press to plump up the type II fibres. More fibres equals more stamina for longer bear fights. The mechanism includes massive releases of HGH (700% over baseline by some reports) which is thought to influence fat metabolism, among other things. Most test subjects (under a supervisory whip) show a marked improvement in insulin response (glucose control) after just a few weeks.

When you start the program the first problem is to determine if you are actually giving maximum power. You can’t just use the kcal/hr or watts figure off the machine. Everyone is different. So someone came up with the idea of METS (metabolic equivalents) which are multiples of a person’s baseline expenditure e.g. sitting on the couch, not watching TV. (Watching TV while sitting on the couch slightly lowers metabolic rate compared so sitting there doing nothing. Weird, huh?) Vigorous sex and typing a blog post both come out at 1.3. Doesn’t that make you blink? If a strange factoid floats into my mind on my death bed, it could be that one. There are web calculators out there that account for age, gender, body composition, and fitness level. It can also be measured directly with some Darth Vader breathing apparatus. A notable exception to my couch statistics: sitting on the couch watching a soft clearing attempt by the home side comes in at 20 METS on neck muscles alone. A fireman in full gear lugging a Cheetos addict out of a burning basement is somewhere in the mid teens.

Here’s the Michael Caine part. You peak output in METS is not determined by your heart/lung system, but is strangely exercise specific, even for steady-state exercise. Why? It seems to be that the muscles you carry which are not involved as primary movers act like a second liver and contribute to whole-body lactic acid/glycogen metabolism. Not a lot of people know that. I sure didn’t.

In the Phil Campbell interview with Dr Mercola, he claims that the power fade in the last ten seconds of a maximum-effort 30s sprint is the type II fibres giving out. In the usual Wingate protocol, the athlete is given a pathetic window to clear a massive oxygen debt, and then the horror repeats. They want to find out whether you can power-deke the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog deep into 3OT by means of a short-answer format. That’s what makes you Yak.

An athlete’s anerobic threshold is the point at which the body’s muscles have exhausted their oxygen store and start burning other fuel. For regular folks, reaching that threshold is quitting time; anaerobic work is 19 times harder than aerobic work. But rowing is all about harder. Elite rowers fire off the start at sprint speed — 53 strokes per minute. With 95 pounds of force on the blade end, each stroke is a weightlifter’s power clean. Rowers cross their anaerobic threshold with that first stroke. Then there are 225 more to the finish line.” — ESPN Magazine, May 2000

Just for the record, Mercola interviews Campbell in the fine lucid style of two men really invested in figuring this shit out, yet in his other life Mercola is the messianic overlord of a highly-profitable purity cult. Here’s a sample, as it reads to me: Did you know that your shampoo contains a dangerous chemical? A lab rat once fell into a bucket of this chemical and died a terrible death. This was in fact the same rat which had fallen into a bucket of concentrated lye solution just six weeks earlier and crawled skinless onto the floor where it convulsed and convalesced like Luke Skywalker (minus the robodoc) for weeks in Nietzschean regeneration while feeding on nothing but flies and tiny black ants. If this chemical kills Darth Ratsputin in mere vat-sized quantities, just imagine what follicular horrors are released by billion-fold homeopathic dilution applied daily.

Yet his interview with Phil Campbell is so lucid you can hardly explain it.

64. DSF says:

Val Dillon that big heathen I first noticed him at dessert when I was cracking the nuts with my teeth I wished I could have picked every morsel of that chicken out of my fingers it was so tasty and browned and as tender as anything only for I didnt want to eat everything on my plate those forks and fishslicers were hallmarked silver too I wish I had some I could easily have slipped a couple into my muff when I was playing with them then always hanging out of them for money in a restaurant for the bit you put down your throat we have to be thankful for our mangy cup of tea itself as a great compliment to be noticed the way the world is divided in any case if its going to go on I want at least two other good chemises for one thing and but I dont know what kind of drawers he likes none at all I think didnt he say yes and half the girls in Gibraltar never wore them either naked as God made them that Andalusian singing her Manola she didnt make much secret of what she hadnt yes and the second pair of silkette stockings is laddered after one days wear I could have brought them back to Lewers this morning and kicked up a row and made that one change them only not to upset myself and run the risk of walking into him and ruining the whole thing and one of those kidfitting corsets Id want advertised cheap in the Gentlewoman with elastic gores on the hips he saved the one I have but thats no good what did they say they give a delightful figure line 11/6 obviating that unsightly broad appearance across the lower back to reduce flesh my belly is a bit too big Ill have to knock off the stout at dinner or am I getting too fond of it the last they sent from ORourkes was as flat as a pancake he makes his money easy Larry they call him the old mangy parcel he sent at Xmas a cottage cake and a bottle of hogwash he tried to palm off as claret that he couldnt get anyone to drink God spare his spit for fear hed die of the drouth or I must do a few breathing exercises I wonder is that antifat any good might overdo it the thin ones are not so much the fashion now garters that much I have the violet pair I wore today thats all he bought me out of the cheque he got on the first

65. gnikkles says:

DSF,

Soft cap right?

I’m gonna guess bonnet.

67. Ribs says:

Learning!

68. Ribs says:

Now, who wants to go fight some bears?